Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
I'll toss this out there..

I think Stefanski needs to be included in the CoTY conversation. And I would posit that DePodesta should get EoTY consideration as well.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
M
Legend
Legend
M
Stefanski is the current odds on favorite to win Coach of the Year.

It'd be a bit surprising if he did not. Reasonable arguments can be made for McDermott, Flores and River Boat Ron (cancer story). I see LaFleur, Payton and Reid as long shots. The expectations were already high.

What Stefanski and his staff have accomplished is absolutely remarkable.

Berry has shined bright as well. Significant contributions from your 4th, 5th and 6th round picks on a playoff team? Well done qualifying and then identifying the players that fit your system (shout-out to DePo as well). The 3rd round picks contributing as well. Jedrick Wills will be the LT for the next decade.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
He is a shoe in after we win the Super Bowl

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Stefanski is the current odds on favorite to win Coach of the Year.

It'd be a bit surprising if he did not. Reasonable arguments can be made for McDermott, Flores and River Boat Ron (cancer story). I see LaFleur, Payton and Reid as long shots. The expectations were already high.

What Stefanski and his staff have accomplished is absolutely remarkable.

Berry has shined bright as well. Significant contributions from your 4th, 5th and 6th round picks on a playoff team? Well done qualifying and then identifying the players that fit your system (shout-out to DePo as well). The 3rd round picks contributing as well. Jedrick Wills will be the LT for the next decade.

I liked reading this post.
Well done.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Both guys should get major props. Our turnaround in almost every regard is pretty impressive.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg

I think Stefanski needs to be included in the CoTY conversation. And I would posit that DePodesta should get EoTY consideration as well.

Stefanski for sure should be at or near the top of any list. How could he not?

Depo, while I agree, I am not sure he is front and center enough to gain much traction. I hope he does. He is clearly a major player inside the Browns and a big part of our turn around. Maybe the biggest part from a executive standpoint.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T

I was going to say it doesn't matter this kind of thing doesn't matter,
But DePodesta??? you have got to be joking right?

pfft. the conversation isn't worth it, moot. Can't believe anyone would overlook all he did for all the years before one of his mistakes worked out.
Sure, Blame Hue, blame Dorsey Haley, all the others Greg Williams is the problem, no it's Freddie blame them but who was around for all those failures,
Depo.

If you gave a general 7 armies and he killed off 6 of them but the 7th one took Europe would you call him Patton?

Whatevetr, have at it, I feel those kinds of awards are what they are, insignificant.

T
All Pro
All Pro
T
You’re drunk, go home

Wise words spoken by sages
From SkyTel to BlackBerry pagers
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Depo, while I agree, I am not sure he is front and center enough to gain much traction. I hope he does. He is clearly a major player inside the Browns and a big part of our turn around. Maybe the biggest part from a executive standpoint.

The bigger win for DePo is that the results of this season validate and legitimize what he's been trying incorporate over the last few years.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DevilDawg2847

The bigger win for DePo is that the results of this season validate and legitimize what he's been trying incorporate over the last few years.

To add to that more specifically, seeing how Depodesta wanted McDermott when we hired Hue and he wanted Stefanski when we hired Kitchens, if I'm an NFL team in need of a head coach I'm calling to see if I can steal Depodesta away from the Browns or at least borrow him long enough to help me find a HC.

1st String
1st String
With the discipline he instilled into this team and what he's done with Baker gets my vote. He has done an outstanding job with what easily could've been an implosion after our third loss heading into the bye. He has changed the culture and mentality of this team and I really hope he gets credit for it. He's MY COTY regardless but I want him to be recognized nationally. This is not "the same ol Browns" and I think it all started with him.

Legend
Legend
Odds to win NFL Coach of the Year (Bovada):

Kevin Stefanski +140
Ron Rivera +150
Sean McDermott +550
Brian Flores +600
Mike Tomlin +1200
Andy Reid +1800
Matt Lafleur +2000
Sean Payton +2000
Frank Reich +2500
Mike Vrabel +3500

https://twitter.com/OddsShark/status/1341802387506380800

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Touchy subject I know but.....
Going back to Sashi, DePo was there. And they executed a game plan to cut payroll, gain draft capital and sacrifice 2-3 extra losses a year for better draft position.

DePo a part of bringing Dorsey in. Dorsey did some good BAKER, but the OBJ trade and the Kitchens hire hurt the team and cost us development.

DePo responsible for Berry and Stefanski.

Dude has been here for the process and his baseball pedigree probably cost him the trust of some of the football guys along the way.

No doubt Jimmy Haslem finally has a solid executive team and head coach. Add in a franchise QB and we got ourselves a bonafide NFL franchise that actually wins more games than it loses. AND IT FEELS GREAT

Legend
Legend
I would love to be there Christmas morning when Coach Stefanski is reminding his kids to focus on every gift, take them one at a time, enjoy it for a while, then move on to the next one.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Inspiring. He should be recognized. This was not your "normal" run-of-the mill NFL slog.

Has been a wonder to watch.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
I would love to be there Christmas morning when Coach Stefanski is reminding his kids to focus on every gift, take them one at a time, enjoy it for a while, then move on to the next one.

I'll have to try that. I am usually focused on the big shiny gift in the corner and barely pay attention to the little ones that lead up to that.

Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
Well,well, well..

Stefanski named COTY

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

I was going to say it doesn't matter this kind of thing doesn't matter,
But DePodesta??? you have got to be joking right?

pfft. the conversation isn't worth it, moot. Can't believe anyone would overlook all he did for all the years before one of his mistakes worked out.
Sure, Blame Hue, blame Dorsey Haley, all the others Greg Williams is the problem, no it's Freddie blame them but who was around for all those failures,
Depo.

If you gave a general 7 armies and he killed off 6 of them but the 7th one took Europe would you call him Patton?

Whatevetr, have at it, I feel those kinds of awards are what they are, insignificant.

Who wanted to hire Stefanski the year before... Depo did.

Who wanted to retain Berry... Depo did.

But hey, none of that matters....right?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Well,well, well..

Stefanski named COTY

Very happy this happened. thumbsup

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Worthy! I am happy he won this, even happier that his work is acknowledged and honored. hats off to Depo as well. This year will go down in my book as a win. What a se change for The Land and its Browns. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
What a difference a year makes.. No one complaining about the Baseball Guy and the Harvard Boys.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
and the Penn guy.

Legend
Legend

Things could not have turned out better regarding the Browns organization.

Congratulations to Kevin Stefanski. He fully deserved to be Head Coach of the Year.

Proud to have Kevin Stefanski and Andrew Berry leading the Browns.

After years of futility we got it right.

This is the most optimistic I have felt about the Browns since 1986.

We have a good team that will get better. We are led by competent management.

I fully expect the Browns to challenge for the Super Bowl in 2021.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Halfback32
What a difference a year makes.. No one complaining about the Baseball Guy and the Harvard Boys.

The baseball guy is a Harvard guy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Halfback32

The baseball guy is a Harvard guy.

If we have another great year, maybe even a super bowl, Depo will no longer be known as just a baseball guy, but a brilliant football guy too IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Is there anyone on this message board that knows what Depo does?

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: mac

They way I understand it, he put systems in place for everything by applying statistics for best outcomes. He now oversees those systems and constantly tries to improve them. Basically he is the glue holding things together while the kinks get worked out and the changes become bedrock.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
All Pro
All Pro
As far as I know, he's there to check boxes and make sure what they think they see is more or less accurate.

I think it just throws people off because it leaves the impression that analytics is the end-all, be-all when it's not.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
As far as I know, he's there to check boxes and make sure what they think they see is more or less accurate.

I think it just throws people off because it leaves the impression that analytics is the end-all, be-all when it's not.

Right, and there are people who don't think it has any worth.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I too am optimistic for our Browns. As long as we make the right moves this off season we should be serious contenders next year and for a few years after that. I was thinking how good Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs are and how they could become the new John Elway and Denver Broncos for us. They will be the team everyone has to beat to get to the Super Bowl for a long while provided they make the right moves to maintain talent level and keep the team together. It's harder now than it was 35 years ago.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mac

He does whatever Haslam tasks him with doing.

It doesn't matter what he does. Whatever it is, it is working.

Some things we do know.

Depo wanted Stefanski twice after 2 coaching searches, the 2nd of which the owner put in his hands. Evidently the owner trusts the guy and is happy with what he brings.

We know he didn't think Wentz was all that great of a prospect.
If you are seeking a job description, call Jimmy. I am sure it also includes running a player data base as a means to check or offer points of interest that traditional scouting may not pick up. You act like the guy sits in some dimly lit back room reading tea leaves and using a Ouija board.

You have asked this question 3-4 times over the last few years.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Mahomes will be a problem no doubt about that.

However, football is still a team game. All teams face the challenge of handling the cap.

I have been witness to great quarterbacks humbled by great defenses. That is what it will take to beat the Chiefs.

As great as Brady and Peyton have been. They got beat.

Pressure makes all quarterbacks look mortal.

We have the offense and we will improve it.

On defense we have to get better. That will be Berry will concentrate.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
I thought he sat around and got paid to play stratomatic baseball with Haslam all day, thereby keeping Haslam occupied and out of football operations. Whatever Depo does .. it works...

nanner

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
M
Legend
Legend
M
A John Dorsey source:

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
What a moron.

I didn't like the pick at first, but I wasn't that insanely negative.

Legend
Legend
We had more wins this season than Chris had TDs in his NFL career.... he tried to coach for a year and moved onto broadcasting... I hope he enjoys his crow...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Insert foot into mouth.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Worthy! I am happy he won this, even happier that his work is acknowledged and honored. hats off to Depo as well. This year will go down in my book as a win. What a se change for The Land and its Browns. thumbsup

In a nutshell, I liked his response. He gave credit to the Haslams, Depo, Berry, his coaches and players.. Took very little credit himself......

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
From the beginning this was DePodesta's team this year. It was the first time he took the reigns and got his HC and GM he also laid out the program on building a new Organization. This was his baby and it was our first time for many things with the new era starting at 1999. I agree with you Saint...he should get some accolades for the job he did.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
EO....jmho, you forgot the LT who switched from RT to LF and STARTED....great move. he will only get better....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Coach of the Year.. Executive of the Year

Link Copied to Clipboard