Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Your way of thinking can right back to week 6

Browns lost 7 to 38 to the steelers! You want your opportunity THERE IT WAS!

you want your special feeling win chance to take them out of the playoffs

chance to win the division?

THEY HAD IT, WEEK NUMBER 6,
CLEVELAND WAS 4-1

If Browns had won that game the Browns would already have clinched a playoff berth!

Since they didn't do that! Then it's just THEIR OWN FAULT that we have to hope the steelers beat the Colts so the Browns can lock up a playoff berth and not have to play Pittsburgh for a chance to play pittsburgh!

I'M GONNA BREAK THIS THING IF IT CAPITALZES THE WORD pittsburgh one more $%$%$% Time!

playoff berth 1st, Division 2nd. It's always been that way, since they started the wild card.

Can't win a SB if you can't get in the playoffs!

Your way of thinking is wanting another team to do the work of the Browns by putting us in the Playoffs. My way of thinking wants the Browns to put us in the Playoffs! If they can't do it then so be it. My way is by earning it! Your way is having someone give it to us.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: slick
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
[quote=slick]THROW LONG there are some posters on this board who owe you a apology. They said you were full of it when you told them about the third team in the division rule. But you were right

Credit where credit

Now that the playoffs have been expanded to 3 wildcard teams this year, that rule doesn't apply any longer.

According to the ESPN playoff machine and numerous articles one of them from CBS sports it does

I've been trying to make a point proving it can not apply but know one will debunk my point.
If the Colts lose this week we are in the playoffs, even though we could still have the same record as the Colts after the last game of the season if they win and we lose to Steelers! THIS WITH US BEING THE 3RD TEAM IN THE DIVISION (assuming the Ravens win out) WITH THE COLTS BEING THE 2ND IN THEIRS. so the rule cannot apply

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Is there an authoritative source for the idea that the third team in a division gets dropped? I did not see it on the NFL pages.

I would really like to read it.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Mox I understand what your saying but after having no playoff appearances in 18 years and only 1 payoff win in the last 30 I'll take getting in any way I can!!!!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FrankZ
Is there an authoritative source for the idea that the third team in a division gets dropped? I did not see it on the NFL pages.

I would really like to read it.

No, there is not. In fact, it is very likely that Pitt, us, and Baltimore are all in the playoffs this year.

What there is is a part of the tiebreaker rules where only one team per division is considered at a time. In Step 1 of tiebreaking, if there is more than one team from the same division (or divisions), then division tiebreakers are applied first. This means that there will never be more than a 4-way tie considered in Step 2 of tiebreaking.

Simple example:
There are two open wildcard playoff slots.
There are three teams tied, but Team A and Team B are in the same division. They are both tied with Team C. Team Z, from the same division as Teams A & B, won the division and is already in the playoffs.

The first step is to only consider one team per division, so division tiebreakers are applied. Team B is eliminated from THIS ROUND of tiebreaking; Team A is now finishing the tiebreaking with Team C.... Team A wins the tiebreakers and take the first slot in the playoffs.

We now still have Team B and Team C tied with the same record and one open playoff slot. There are only two teams and they are not in the same division; regular tiebreaking rules get applied. Team B wins the tiebreakers and take the last slot.

Voila... Teams Z, A, & B - all from the same division - are in the playoffs.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

you play the team you are scheduled to play.

1-0. You prepare to beat the team you play.

Nothing else matters. You control what you can control.

And that is all.

Beat the Jets.

And really the Brown's this year have won these type games.

They have come to far to let this all slip away. They will be ready to play and they will win.

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
We've been saying the same thing, Tie Breaks don't apply until teams have identical overall records.

and the rule never says it applies to two teams, only 3 or more teams, and teams from different divisions. And it's not a special rule it's just #1 in the (three or more clubs from different divisions)

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-tiebreaking-procedures/

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I don't want to peak too far ahead. . . . 1-0 is good with me each week. But the only two AFC teams that really scare me if we are in the post season - KFC obviously, and the Ravens because we don't seem to have any answer for Lamar.

At least we'll have more of our defense back!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: thriller
Things are tenuous right now...yes 10-4 is great and we are on the upswing but I want a playoff game and I think we'll need to beat Pitt to get in. I don't care how Pitt looks right now we don't fare well against them ever and I don't want our playoff birth to come down to beating them. I will be pulling for the Steelers on Sunday as much as I hate them. I do have battered fan syndrome, I will admit that but in my defence I have been a die hard fan since 1984 and have seen my share losses due to inferior teams and inexplicable game events.

I want a playoff game :

I want to experience that week of excitement leading up to a playoff game

I want to hear our team being talked about by the media ad nauseum during playoff week

I want to feel that extra pride when I wear my Browns gear

I want to feel the added excitement/anxiety that goes along with being in the playoffs

I want to feel the intensity that goes along with a playoff game

I want to experience optimism that we could win a playoff game and all that would go along with it....

Give me a damn playoff game ! I don't care how we get there...

If you'd rather have an all or nothing game against the Steelers in week 17 as opposed to losing the division and being a wildcard you haven't lived through the last 25 years of misery.

1982! All or nothing. Screw the Squealers!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Mox I understand what your saying but after having no playoff appearances in 18 years and only 1 payoff win in the last 30 I'll take getting in any way I can!!!!
getting a wild card and losing in the first round of the playoffs would not be as sweet as winning the division even if we lose in the first round of the playoffs. Not to mention we'd get home field for the first game!

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
There are 7 spots at the table, Browns are only eligible to sit at the AFC North Division spot, or the 3 wild card spots.

There are 8 teams on the table,

There are two ways to get a team off the table, either win more than they have a possibility to,

or Slide them into one of the other spots, (example, A different divisions Div title spot, or a different WC spot.

A few weeks ago, the Raiders and Patriots were still on the Browns table, but when they reached enough losses, (7), that the Browns and them can't tie, they got kicked off the table, (as far as the Browns are concerned.)

The Chiefs, are no longer on the table because they won a div. the AFC West, which the Browns were never eligible for, Browns play in the AFC North.

Concerning Dolphins and Bills, Best Dolphins can do is lose the 3rd tie break, so the Bills have Won a div. Bills are now off the Browns table shoved into the AFC East Div title winner. seat.

What does that leave.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Worst case, we miss the playoffs this year. Best case, SUPER BOWL BABY! I'm going to watch one game at a time and just enjoy the ride. If we were to get to the big game, I'd probably stroke out during the AFC CHampionship game anyway. I too just want to see the Browns go to the Super Bowl before I die.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
We actually want the titans to win, correct?

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend

All things considered I am about as calm as possible.

This is a good football team. At this point the Steelers are just another bump in the road.

They are a flawed team.

The deal is the Steelers are embedded so deep in our psyche. All the horror of years past. Most can not rid themselves of the past.

Except I don't buy into the past. I only see what is before me. The NFL is a week to week world.

The Jets are next up. I can not believe that we will lose this game. The Browns have worked so hard to get here. They will be very determined. At the end we just have to much talent and we will be extremely focused. The Jets just will not be able to slug it out against us for four quarters. It is 1-13 vs 10-4.

The Steelers next week. We can beat them if we play to our capability.

After that we shall see. It will all be determined soon.

All Pro
All Pro
No, not anymore. If the Titans lose, there is still a possibility of them losing again smile

If the Colts beat the Steelers, they play the Jags in week 17 I believe. rofl

If they both finish 12-4, we really have to win out baring a lose by the rats or dolphins.

It's easier just to root for the Ravens or Dolphins lose. smile

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: slick
We actually want the titans to win, correct?

Sometimes I don't flippin know anymore, but it's all the evil empire of the Ravens fault.

See the Blasted enemy Ravens, who'll likely end up 11-5 lest they fall to the Giants or Bengals, are ahead of the Browns.

Now, See Here's the thing, (as I look again at my 6 week old stapled list of schedules)
The Ravens, Beat the colt, (so ahead of colts )

the Ravens, lost to the titans, (so behind titans)
And got swept by the stillers, (so behind titans)

What really matters is if the Colts lose Browns are in, because of this, Part of,

If the Colts are part of the mix for Wild card then we can shove the Ravens into a higer WC spot for having beat the colts,
(what's that do? It GETS THE GOD FORSAKEN RAVENS FRANCHISE OFF THE KERKA DOODY TABLE! ) for the next spot.

But! If the blasted Colts, get the Division spot, ABOVE THE TITANS, then, the titans are back in the WC mix.
Ravens, losing to the titans, (benefits them if they're trying to get rid of us because)

Ravens losing to the titans means they,(ravens) don't go into spot 5, or 6, which means they are (off the @$%$%$%$% table when time to look at spot 7 comes around.

See Browns didn't knock the (evil empire) of the Ravens off the Browns' table on MNF three weeks ago,

So the Browns can still knock the (evil empire) of the Ravens off their table, with overall record, by beating Both the Steelers and Jets, and finishing 12-4 (this year)

But if the Browns aren't able to do that then another way for the Browns to knock the evil empire of the Ravens off their table, is to have the Ravens

Ravens play the 1 on 1 roc paper scissors fight against the Colts, which the Ravens win, and get stuck into a spot a spot above you but yet out of the tournament.

And that allows the Browns to get into a 1 on 1 roc paper scissors fight with the Colts, in the next round
(because the colts didn't beat the ravens)
And that's a fight the Browns win, because the Browns beat the colts on week 5. And ensures spot 7.

And a last way to get the (hated evil empire) of the ravens off the Browns' playoff table is for the Ravens to lose themselves.

Now, nobody has to play rock paper scissors,(i.e. 1 v 1 tie breaker), with a different team if they have a better overall record.

but, 1.v.1, like 5 weeks ago, and still, until the Pats and Raiders lost enough, the Browns were behind

behind the Pats, Bills, Dolphins, and Raiders, and chiefs,
(now chiefs were 8-1 to start vs the afc, that's why)
(and Bills were 7-0 to start vs the afc, that's why)

(Browns, opening day loss vs ravens, and raiders loss, had 2 losses or more in the afc) So back then, they were also on the table, in the way of the Browns getting a spot but when they won a division, they got taken off the table.
(the pats above the Browns in a 4-1, vs, 2-3, (common games minimum four), tie break of teams Raiders, Jets, Ravens, Texans, that's why.) (if they had came to the 1 v. 1 roc paper scissors)
And behind the Raiders with a loss
And behind the Ravens but with that 2nd opportunity to beat the Ravens on MNF ahead of them.

The Browns only get a spot by knocking every other team off the table of teams that stand in their way of their playoff berth seat at the table.

So, Titans? Browns either want them to stay ahead of the Colts in the division race, or, lose twice!
Currently the Titans tie beat the Colts +1 in division record each with one divisional to play,
Titans at Texans, Colts host Jaguars, both week 17.

If they tie in division record, and then tie in conf record, let's see. it comes to common games the Titans and Colts are tied in common games with 2 each to go,
if they tied in common games it would come to

Strength of victory, and then next would be strength of schedule.

Titans vs colts, sov, whew, (I don't go this far usually) one team beat the bengals other didn't play them, other team beat the...
Bills and Packers both 11-3

Yes, Colts need to lose, need Titans to stay ahead of the colts.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
[url=]win[/url]

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Your way of thinking is wanting another team to do the work of the Browns by putting us in the Playoffs. My way of thinking wants the Browns to put us in the Playoffs! If they can't do it then so be it. My way is by earning it! Your way is having someone give it to us.

I have never believed this line of thinking. I do not believe that anybody backs into the playoffs. We play 16 games, everybody else plays 16 games, the schedules were made pretty consistent a long time ago, and we all play by the same playoff rules... if we go 11-5, we will have earned every bit of that 11-5 record.. if the Dolphins, Colts, or Ravens lose and that helps the Browns get in the playoffs, then they didn't earn it and we did. I would walk into the playoffs with my head held high.

yebat' Putin
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Thank you.

I wasn't sure where the idea that if we finished third in the division we are automatically dropped came from.

My take is just win and see what happens.

Last edited by FrankZ; 12/24/20 01:26 PM.
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Well with the now distinct possibility that we just lost our starting left tackle for the last two games and our starting guard is already out for the last two games we need all the help we can get. Being down our starting LT AND RG makes the jets who just beat the rams a potentially nail biter

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
L
Legend
Legend
L
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

I have never believed this line of thinking. I do not believe that anybody backs into the playoffs. We play 16 games, everybody else plays 16 games, the schedules were made pretty consistent a long time ago, and we all play by the same playoff rules... if we go 11-5, we will have earned every bit of that 11-5 record.. if the Dolphins, Colts, or Ravens lose and that helps the Browns get in the playoffs, then they didn't earn it and we did. I would walk into the playoffs with my head held high.

Spot on. Exactly how I view it.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
GC. Is there really anything more to explain about the AFC Playoff chase that hasn't been discussed already. (Sure, it's fun I'll feel different next time.)

We know a couple things.
1. There is 1 more team than spots available for teams.

2. We are all Browns fans! thumbsup

3. Do we really have any question which team will miss out altogether.

4. Go place a bet, make your 1080 dollars, it's inevitable folks, Where ya been the last 30 years.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Efficacy for this weekend, any result that get’s us into the playoffs.

Take your grandiose notions elsewhere, we need to get in. Lo siento

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go 1-0. No control over anything else. Go 1-0.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
Go 1-0. No control over anything else. Go 1-0.
bingo

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: BuckDawg1946
Efficacy for this weekend, any result that get’s us into the playoffs.

Take your grandiose notions elsewhere, we need to get in. Lo siento

Playoff status had listed this as "clinching options" for Browns, under Browns > what if.

For this week, they only look at current weeks.

Spot 4 win the division, (no clinching options)

Ok, Spots 5, 6, and 7, all wild card spots..If this happens this week;

Browns Clinch at least WC spot 7 if,
A. Browns beat Jets and
B1. Colts lose to Steelers, or
B2. Dolphins lose to Raiders, or
B3. Ravens lose to Giants

Browns Clinch spot 6, a better WC spot if.
A. Browns beat Jets and
combine any 2 of ^ letters B'. above

Browns clinch spot 5, the top wild card spot, this week if. Browns beat Jets and
1. Combine all 3 of ^letters B above, OR!

2. Browns beat Jets and
Combine letters B2 above Dolphins lose to Raiders
letter B3 above Ravens lose to Giants and
B4. Titans lose to Packers.

B
Legend
Legend
B
And to think, potential ties haven't been factored.

If we win on Sunday and tie the Steelers the final week, I wonder how that could shake things up?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
They would win the division because they beat us in the first meeting; so we'd be entered into the wild card shuffle, but with one less loss than the 11-5 teams.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Go Raiders

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Go Raiders
please Chucks, run one down for us

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
If the Browns win the final 2 games they're probably at least guaranteed the 5 spot, I'd like to see them get the 5 spot.
(Oh why not win the division? ) (here's why,

I think it's an easier road to the Super Bowl.
I think winning the division is going to get them Pittsburgh in the first round, and getting the 5 spot is going to get them Tennessee, maybe buffalo, or ? Colts, in the first round.

And no matter how great I think the Browns are, back to back weeks against Pittsburgh seems like a recipe for disaster, even if the Browns are the better team,

Road to Hoisting the Trophe and getting the Parade seems to me, goes easier starting at getting that 5 seed, This year!

And anybody that has a problem with trying to find the best way for the Browns Super Bowl Victory #1 path, I don't know what you're rooting for.

I can't think of a nicer way, than beating Pittsburgh week 17,
Beating Tennessee or Bills round 1.
Then beating the Bills or Tennessee round 2
Then beating Whomever's left in the Championship week
Then beating Whomever the NFC wants to send to the Super Bowl.

A real all around Championship!

Legend
Legend
Everybody remember the NFL 100 Year commercial last year where Brady tells Baker to hold his rings?

Well, I think we might see Baker beat Brady in February.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
T
I Never saw it. Sounds messed up.
Brady always was kind of lame to begin with, Brady was pretty much boring to watch.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I’ve been shocked by the amount of Browns fans, rooting to clinch next week. We need to get in this week, by any means possible, playoffs are the only thing that matters. Especially considering we are down a few men.

President - Fort Collins Browns Backers
Legend
Legend
At this rate we better pray that we can get in the playoffs ANY WAY

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
At this rate we better pray that we can get in the playoffs ANY WAY

Would be crazy that the last two 10-6 finishes by the team resulted in no playoffs, if it turned out that way.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Well with our Browns it's never easy and now this news. The other shoe just dropped. Best of luck to us tomorrow.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
Well with our Browns it's never easy and now this news. The other shoe just dropped. Best of luck to us tomorrow.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
The Bills dont even need to play thier staters the final week and when the steelers lose tommorrow they wont even have to play thier starters against the Patriots on Monday night . Either way dolphins are now in. Even if by a miracle we beat the jets we then have to try to beat the Steelers who I just dont see losing 5 in a row. Not to mention I would not be shocked when our starting wr core all of a sudden test "positive " for the virus.

Page 9 of 10 1 2 7 8 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum AFC Playoff Chase Continued

Link Copied to Clipboard