Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
L
Legend
Legend
L
Which is true, they ran a Jam front where everyone in front 7 filled a gap. Which is why running outside and pulling would have generated some holes to run through, Stefanski wouldn't call them . Same with screens. Called them in second half and it worked.. But make no mistake, Teller is the heart of our running game. Just sucks he's made of glass

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
There are a plethora of reasons why we lost this game. I'm as frustrated as any on this board. We were in a tough spot losing all those players right before the game not to mention the Jets have been playing better. But the bottom line to me is with everything going against us we still had a chance to win. The FUMBLES COST US. YOU HAVE TO TAKE CARE OF THE FOOTBALL. It doesn't matter if your playing the best team in the league or the worst you can't have these turnovers. If we held on to the ball we probably would have WON case closed. I have no axes to grind I like Baker a lot and feel he will be our franchise QB but he has to take care of the ball or we will have more games like yesterday. He admitted it. He knows he messed up.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Pulling and screens require a higher degree of execution (correct me if I'm wrong). With us requiring nametags on quite a few starters, I can understand Stefanski shying away from these types of plays. I do wonder why we didn't do more in the way of creative plays involving both RBs. I would think this could be a major wrinkle in our offense and would've been devastating to misdirect with one bellcow back only to flip it to get it to the other bellcow back or TE in space and let them go to work.

I need to watch the condensed game. There might've been some questionable calls on the field, but the worst call all day was putting the Steelers on in the Cinci area. I'll reserve judgement until I've watched, but based on the radio call, I'm having a hard time criticizing Stefanski with the situation. Dude was working with a LOT of question marks.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. It was a tough spot to be put in with little or no time to prepare. Sometimes teams have a tough time executing with everyone healthy and playing. Hasn't that happened to us too?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I know it's beating a dead horse... but I'll go in on the defense anyway. Jets are dreadful passing the ball and were still able to do enough to win. If there was ever going to be a game this season where the D could save our bacon, it was this one. Containing the Jets O really isn't that big of an ask. Did we score any turnovers at all?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I know it's beating a dead horse... but I'll go in on the defense anyway. Jets are dreadful passing the ball and were still able to do enough to win. If there was ever going to be a game this season where the D could save our bacon, it was this one. Containing the Jets O really isn't that big of an ask. Did we score any turnovers at all?

No and I kept saying all game how Darnold was a turnover machine and we we're going to get 1.

Blame me, I jinxed us.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Some of you are ridiculous. Waiting for Baker to have a "bad" game (playing with 9th string WRs on a days notice, and a couple 3rd string OL) just so you can spew a bunch of nonsense.

Definitely disappointing to lose a game like that. Just got to hopefully put it all behind us and beat Pittsburgh. I think if you asked everyone here at the beginning of the season if you would take 10 wins and "win and you're in" going into week 17, it would be an emphatic "Yes!"

Trying to be optimistic and looking at the long term, maybe this helps us in the long run. We end up 3rd in our division, which means Pittsburgh and Baltimore will have a slightly tougher schedule next year. The Bengals are blowing their draft position to get an OT.

And we still have a shot to get into the playoffs next week! 1-0
This. All these people complaining and bashing Baker. Plenty of blame to go around but at least the NFL could have given us 1 more day to at least practice with the Receivers. Did any of them wake up Sat morning even knowing they'd be playing the next day. Even our TE dropped passes which were players that needed to step up.

The Views Expressed By Me Are Not Necessarily The Views That You Will Agree With, I'm In My Own Little World But They Know Me Here.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
Blame me, I jinxed us.

Done. :-p

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Jc

Hey guys, we’re 10-5! Team just has to bring it next week. We still control our own destiny. Win and we’re in!!

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend

They were close several times, but just couldn't close the deal.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
j/c -

Just a very general post game thought. To my very amateur and untrained eye (and as many others have said), the O-line was the biggest culprit in this game. Period.

Yes, a lot of other things went wrong - some our fault, some not. But if the O-line had it together, this game was ours.

I like that our playoff destiny is in our own hands the last week of the season and not just because we have one last chance.

The simple fact is that if we can't start beating the big boys in our own division - especially when everything is on the line - then this team has a lot more problems then what went wrong yesterday.

On to Pittsburgh.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
If we can't get back the players who were out yesterday we won't have much of a chance against Pittsburgh. Heck I don't know if we can beat them anyways. I really doubt it. Prove me wrong Browns!

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Some of you are ridiculous

Agreed.

Team is 10-5, with a ticket to the tournament that they get to write. With a new coaching staff/playbook/language. And no off-season.

And some of these fans act like this is the same team that routinely logged 3-13, 4-12 and 6-10 seasons.

Mad at them like they're 1-15. Or 0-16.

I guess My Father was right when he said:

"Some people can't be happy unless they're miserable about something..."

"too many notes, not enough music-"
R
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
R
Some of you are ridiculous. Waiting for Baker to have a "bad" game (playing with 9th string WRs on a days notice, and a couple 3rd string OL) just so you can spew a bunch of nonsense.

Definitely disappointing to lose a game like that. Just got to hopefully put it all behind us and beat Pittsburgh. I think if you asked everyone here at the beginning of the season if you would take 10 wins and "win and you're in" going into week 17, it would be an emphatic "Yes!"

Trying to be optimistic and looking at the long term, maybe this helps us in the long run. We end up 3rd in our division, which means Pittsburgh and Baltimore will have a slightly tougher schedule next year. The Bengals are blowing their draft position to get an OT.

First thing, Baker was playing with 1 backup Wr's and 1 practice squad player, but he had Hooper a very good TE, Njoku and Hunt, all starters.

Baker was sailing passes and very tentative with the ball, all in all we hardly noticed the lack of quality of our Wr's... we noticed it because apparently he is only able to play with the best Wr's in the league.

I think this game and the next one are the ultimate tests for Baker, either he is able to do it, or he doesn't. So far he has proved is does not stand to the big challenges, hope I'm wrong and he can change the narrative in the next game.

We have probably the best Offense in the league, one of the best OLines, one of the best RB's and one of the best WR's group in the league. The weakest link is the QB.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Good to see you again Rasta.

Where were you after Baker's 22-22 vs Cinci?
His game against Titans?
His game against the Ravens where we scored 22 in the 4th Q?

Also you came up in convo the other day ... when we drafted Baker I think you were on record as saying he has a noodle arm? Wanted to be sure we had that correct and it wasn't a different poster that said that.

Thanks for the clarification thumbsup

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
all in all we hardly noticed the lack of quality of our Wr's

If you hardly noticed it, then you don't actually see what you're watching. The lack of going to - or even being able to go to - the WRs *IS* what was noticeable. Also what was notable is that vaunted TE group that repeatedly FAILED the team. Another thing that was noticeable is the vaunted OLine that FAILED the RB's and the rest of the team. Two of the Top 10 RBs in the NFL were held to less than 40 yards rushing - COMBINED.

Apparently, Chubb & Hunt can't run without the best OLine and WR's in the league making holes for them.

Here's the deal:

40% of the OLine was 3rd string garbage that shouldn't ever see the field unless we're bringing in a 6th blocker, and those two weaknesses were on each side of the line. We did not have even one side we could go to as a strength.

100% of the WR's weren't there. 1st AND 2nd string. Again, we had 3rd string scrubs and guys that shouldn't even be on a roster out there.... even IF they knew and understood the offense, their ability to execute it with good routes and separation is absolutely limited.

The two units we did have intact, RB's and TE's, failed to perform. Completely. RB's weren't running, and TE's weren't catching.

So, PLEASE, tell me just what it is that the QB was supposed to do. Yes, the QB still needs to execute their part, and yes, a "franchise" QB needs to elevate those around him.... but the QB can't Block, Catch, and Run for everyone else out there.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
The bottom line with this game... NOBODY stepped up to make a difference. Total team failure. But, I agree 100% with AZBrown - biggest culprit was the OLine, they were, in a word, offensive.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I thought I saw the run game start to get going some in the second half .. Problem was Ski totally got away from it , and not throwing screen after screen until they stopped it .. Still would have run the Wishbone ..lol .. Bottom line ; Football is a TEAM sport , lots of moving parts operating as one..

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Yes it was taken in for a TD and was taken away from us.

Joe Thomas #73
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Do you enjoy moral victories?

I don’t.

We got dealt a crappy hand today. We had the perfect counter. We got the worst team in the league. If you're going to get dealt a crappy hand, that's a nice situation to be in. The QB told the fans they need to start adjusting our expectations and expect better, then crapped the bed.

What am I supposed to be rooting for?

Try reality for a change of pace.

You had WR's from the practice squad. The the two injuries at WR combined with the four in Covid protocol had our top 6 WR's out of the game. That put our WR's playing at 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th on the depth chart. The WR's playing hadn't even had a single snap with Mayfield.

Three of out top 6 OL were out. Tretter, Wills and our 6th man, Hubbard. Say what you will, but Hubbard is one of, if not the most versatile and valuable back up OL players in the NFL. So on the OL we were at 7th and 8th on the depth chart.

I know, I know, you'll claim those are excuses. Yet they are facts. Facts are not excuses. It's just a convenient excuse to dismiss the facts.

I don't think anyone is happy with yesterdays results. You and some others keep spewing this loser crap yet we've won 10 games. This is the first year with Stefanski as our HC. In case you didn't notice, we were just really settling into and having some comfort level in our offense.

The Jets had beaten the Rams just the week before.

I'm as disappointed with the loss as anyone is. I never like to see my team lose. And while I won't make excuses for them, I am willing to look at the reality of the situation and come to an understanding.

And for those who bring up Tom Brady? How man frickin' Tom Brady's do they think there are in the NFL? And since everyone seems like they want to keep score, the Tom Brady led Bucs are 10-5 as well. Not one damned win better than we are.

Very few people have claimed our Browns are a finished product. We're still far from it. But some of the BS I see on this thread takes whining and exaggeration to an entire new level.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was curious if unfamiliarity with the receivers would affect Baker's decision-making. He definitely seemed to be hanging onto the ball more yesterday. I can see how questioning if your receiver will be where he's supposed to be will slow down your delivery/hurt your confidence in releasing the ball and letting your boys do their thing.

The sailing passes is troublesome, though.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Precisely.

It is those kinds of takes that reveal the mind behind.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Tom Brady had trouble elevating the O with the players he had around him in NE last season. When he saw it wouldn't get better for this year he left and went to Tampa. Brady couldn't do much with what NE has now.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
J/C on the comments on a lack of screens. There were at least 2 occasions I recall where it looked like we were going screen and it was either a shambles or blown up by recognition before the play had a chance to develop. Screens are a pure timing and execution thing around familiarity. It has to be sold and it needs to be executed. We struggled to do either but that isn’t a surprise given we had 5 new starters on O.

Legend
Legend
Good point. I noticed our timing was off on two of them .. it probably also explains the lack of bootlegs and outside/pulling runs we had ... just no cohesion

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
H
All Pro
All Pro
H
LOL. Lotta people drunkenly rage-posting yesterday.

Legend
Legend
Almost everything we did was getting blown up at or behind the LOS.
Half of what we tried beyond the LOS fell incomplete, often off the hands of a TE. Half of what's left usually had laundry on the field.

It didn't leave a whole lot off opportunities to keep things moving.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: drobs
J/C on the comments on a lack of screens. There were at least 2 occasions I recall where it looked like we were going screen and it was either a shambles or blown up by recognition before the play had a chance to develop. Screens are a pure timing and execution thing around familiarity. It has to be sold and it needs to be executed. We struggled to do either but that isn’t a surprise given we had 5 new starters on O.

Yep. One in particular, Hunt got strung out by the LB all the way to the right sideline, causing Baker to change direction and flush left. He finally completed a pass, on a crucial 3rd or 4th down iirc.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm sure when Coach looks at the game film he will ask himself a few questions. lol .. Rookie Head with 1/2 an offence .. Folks need to give everyone a break here..

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

I don't mean for this to sound confrontational, the defense has struggled to "close the deal" regarding turnovers. Not going to bother to look it up but the past 3-5 games we have hardly created many turnovers for our offense.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: FATE
Originally Posted By: drobs

Yep. One in particular, Hunt got strung out by the LB all the way to the right sideline, causing Baker to change direction and flush left. He finally completed a pass, on a crucial 3rd or 4th down iirc.

I think that where we also got flagged for ineligible receiver downfield or that may have been the other one.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I watched the replay of Bakers fumble. It looked like to me that if he didn't fumble he was very close to getting the 1st down. Did anyone else notice this or am I wrong?

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: rastanplan

First thing, Baker was playing with 1 backup Wr's and 1 practice squad player, but he had Hooper a very good TE, Njoku and Hunt, all star

And two of those 3 had drops yesterday that could have been helped, and no I don't mean Njoku. Bryant also had a killer drop for us.

Legend
Legend
I thought he was short at the point he was stopped.

Browns is the Browns

C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
I thought he was short at the point he was stopped.

I think he would have gotten pushed forward a bit more but went after the ball once he fumbled.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I watched the replay of Bakers fumble. It looked like to me that if he didn't fumble he was very close to getting the 1st down. Did anyone else notice this or am I wrong?

I thought the same thing. Seemed very strange to me that they didn't jump under the hood and take a look at the replay to make sure.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Ok I could be wrong.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN

I don't mean for this to sound confrontational, the defense has struggled to "close the deal" regarding turnovers. Not going to bother to look it up but the past 3-5 games we have hardly created many turnovers for our offense.

Yeah, the D started the season rolling in turnovers, but we have completely dried up on that since the Bye week, it seems.

I don't know how much of that is missing personnel on D, how much is teams getting rid of the ball, how much maybe is opposing coordinators stressing ball security heading into games with us since it is clear we are constantly trying to strip/knock the ball out.

Garrett hasn't been Garrett since getting sick, which that was a big source of turnovers for us.
We've missed all or some of our secondary just about every week - and that's without counting Delpit & Greedy... I don't think we've been healthy back there since maybe Week 3?

Sometimes, things just don't roll our way..... or, the refs are way too quick with a whistle.

Browns is the Browns

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It looked like to me he was still moving forward a bit when he fumbled. It is hard to judge and like I said I could be wrong. Kareem was coming up behind him he may have pushed Baker forward if he didn't have to go for the ball.

Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 16 Jets 23 Post game thoughts

Link Copied to Clipboard