Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
myka Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
In my 38 years on this planet, I've never purposely missed a game. I missed one on my wedding day, and a handful here or there for family sickness or equally important event.

They've finally broken me. This game has no potential for happiness. Either we get the scraps the NFL toss us and pull out a win and make up for the game we should've won last week or we get embarrassed beyond belief. I have cancer and feel like crap during the week from chemo treatments, not gonna ruin my Sunday too.

I'm posting about it instead of just going away quietly because...

1) I'm curious, are you going to watch? If so are you excited about it?

2) Am I missing something or does this seem like a no upside situation?

Obviously, If we win, we're in the playoffs and I'll be back to watch that, but especially with the terrible Ref they've assigned to the game I'm too scared to watch. #Coward

Legend
Legend
I hope you get through your treatments myka. Prayers to you for health and recovery.

If you do miss the game, I hope we win it for you and earn a playoff berth.

And, yes, my choice of words are important: EARN. Regardless of just this past 10 days, this team has earned a playoff bid. That’s why I’m watching and cheering. We belong in the playoffs and this group has deserved the chance to get that monkey off of our backs.

Go Browns ... stay healthy

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
You do you myka! I'll be watching and rooting enough for both of us. I cussed the TV last week on more than one instance, but I still would not have wanted to miss it. I know it's highly unlikely, but I want a browns super bowl more than just about anything before I die. So I will suffer or delight every game from now until then or I run out of time, too invested not to.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
I purposely skipped some games in the '95 season (for obvious reasons). But I didn't miss any before that and haven't since.

I think I've been a glutton for punishment.

Hopefully this Sunday afternoon we'll all feel a bit more positive.

Prayers for your health - the most important thing.

Legend
Legend
Praying you feel better my friend and that you kick cancer's ass

with that said... of course I'm excited!!! I've said it in other threads... don't care if we get the B team... win and we're in... at home... can't wait until Sunday!!

<><

#gmstrong
myka Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: jaybird
Praying you feel better my friend and that you kick cancer's ass

with that said... of course I'm excited!!! I've said it in other threads... don't care if we get the B team... win and we're in... at home... can't wait until Sunday!!

I'm jealous of your attitude! Maybe I'm just down in the dumps overall, but man last week's game really kicked me in the SOUL.

Thanks everyone above for the nice wishes.

Legend
Legend
I didn't know you are battling cancer My thoughts and prayers are with you. You were and will be missed in the game day chat.

As for the game..I will be cheering the Browns on. I wouldn't miss it for the world. I've been waiting to see playoff football since the 90's.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
last week sucked... and maybe I'll be really let down... but I'm just thrilled we have a winning team and the chance to get into the playoffs..

and cancer sucks... praying you kick it's ass...

<><

#gmstrong
myka Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
I didn't know you are battling cancer My thoughts and prayers are with you. You were and will be missed in the game day chat.

As for the game..I will be cheering the Browns on. I wouldn't miss it for the world. I've been waiting to see playoff football since the 90's.

Thanks Pdawg.

hah, I love the gameday chat! I'll be back for the playoffs for sure if we make it!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Good luck with your treatments myka.

But take some solace. I know how you feel about the misery the Browns have been since 99.

I have gone through every loss just like you have. I have felt the punch in the gut for 30+ years.

We speak the same language.

So, I would encourage you to realize a few facts.

We have found our head coach and GM that we have been searching for years to get.

We have found our franchise QB. Yes, Baker had a very bad game Sunday but I assure you and everyone on this board Baker will be ready this Sunday.

With that said, even if we lose, our future is very BRIGHT!

WE ARE FINALLY GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS!

Come watch myka. We are all family. Let's get through all this together!

Win or lose we will take the North in 2021!

P
Legend
Legend
P
Praying for You Myka

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
Legend
Legend
I like how you said that ... we’ve ALL fought this battle together. We’ve all been in the same boat with this franchise.

It’s a good bond that we have. We deserve to have a playoff appearance (and a franchise that is on the rise)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: myka
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Thanks Pdawg.

hah, I love the gameday chat! I'll be back for the playoffs for sure if we make it!

WHEN we make the playoffs!!!!

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

Very well said, SB! And Myka...hang tough, bro. thumbsup

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In my 38 years on this planet, I've never purposely missed a game. I missed one on my wedding day, and a handful here or there for family sickness or equally important event.

They've finally broken me. This game has no potential for happiness. Either we get the scraps the NFL toss us and pull out a win and make up for the game we should've won last week or we get embarrassed beyond belief. I have cancer and feel like crap during the week from chemo treatments, not gonna ruin my Sunday too.

Obviously, If we win, we're in the playoffs and I'll be back to watch that, but especially with the terrible Ref they've assigned to the game I'm too scared to watch. #Coward

First, thoughts and prayers to you. Fight the good fight, dawg. We are all in your corner and here for you.

Last week’s game depressed me. It was our first real must-win game and we peed down our leg. But, I am excited for this game. I want to see how we bounce back. Another shot at a must-win game. It is set up well for us, with us getting guys back and them resting some guys. If we lose then we do not deserve the playoffs. But, I am excited to watch this game. My sons want to see a Browns playoff game.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
First....prayers and hope that your health issues are resolved with the best possible outcome.

Next....what is happening Sunday is what I've been waiting for for years and years. Playing for the playoffs at the end of the season. This is what it's all about. We are relevant. I wouldn't miss it for anything.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Amending my sig to honor your fight, myka. Kick ass and take its name.

For so many of our years together as Browns fans, we've already been talking about the draft since mid-November. Since 1999, we've only been able to seriously talk Browns and playoffs 3 times.

I'm with jfanent on this one. A relevant, meaningful game on the last weekend of regular season? Nothing could keep me away from being a part of this. Win or lose, I've been with this team since Jim Brown played in Muni, and I'm not about to sit this one out.

Beat Pittsburgh (in our house), and we punch our ticket to The Tournament.
Beat Pittsburgh, and we get another chance to punch them in the mouth (in their house) one week later.

As a lifelong Browns fan, this is as much as I dare ask for. Best believe I'll be there.

stay strong,
clem

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Truly .. I may be a depressed mess at 4:15 Sunday, but I can’t miss this.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I believe that I will be watching the game that the Browns will win to gain entry into the payoffs for the first time in 17 years.

Someone else can carry the burden of “longest time without a playoff appearance”

Run, William, Run was the call of that day.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

myka Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Good luck with your treatments myka.

But take some solace. I know how you feel about the misery the Browns have been since 99.

I have gone through every loss just like you have. I have felt the punch in the gut for 30+ years.

We speak the same language.

So, I would encourage you to realize a few facts.

We have found our head coach and GM that we have been searching for years to get.

We have found our franchise QB. Yes, Baker had a very bad game Sunday but I assure you and everyone on this board Baker will be ready this Sunday.

With that said, even if we lose, our future is very BRIGHT!

WE ARE FINALLY GOING IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION FOR THE FIRST TIME IN 30 YEARS!

Win or lose we will take the North in 2021!

thanks for the nice words

Haha, maybe I'll join the gameday chat but not watch the game :-P I really just see no merit to it.

If we beat backups, we beat backups.

If we LOSE to backups we're the Cleveland Clowns again.

Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg
I believe that I will be watching the game that the Browns will win to gain entry into the payoffs for the first time in 17 years.

Someone else can carry the burden of “longest time without a playoff appearance”

Run, William, Run was the call of that day.

Oh man, Run, William, Run was the best moment of my Browns life, I just don't see getting that level of excited when Chubb scores against some backups.

Everyone else without being able to reply to everyone without spamming the thread... I'm really overwhelmed and touched how much support for me this thread turned into. I wasn't expecting that at all lol, you put a smile on this dawg's face. Woof woof smile

Last edited by myka; 12/31/20 01:33 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Be strong, man. A Myka win is more important than a Browns win.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
A playoff berth is a playoff berth, every team gets a few bones thrown their way through the season.

Whether it's teams they play, injuries, ref calls, etc. Almost every game can be critiqued and called either way with just a play or 2 going the other way.

We won 10 games, no matter how they were won or who they were against, these are still NFL teams we played.

It's not like the NFC East where getting in is more a matter of which team will suck less.

So, get well, take care of yourself, and take pride in the fact this team is finally putting it together. No matter how you get there, playoffs is like a start of a new season. Step one if getting there, no matter how you do it.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
I have not missed a game in well over 50 years, and I don't plan on changing that any time soon. Even the games I had to watch in the Hospital were recorded by my family so I could rewatch them again later. Yes I not only watch the game I also rewatch them all at least once.

As for the chemo been there done that twice, two six month rounds so I know how you feel. Praying that you beat the cancer and it never returns for you. If you ever want to talk about it with somebody who has been in your shoes just PM me anytime bro.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Hate to hear that news Myka ... I'd say do whatever keeps you feeling positive and avoid anything that saps your energy and emotions. Record the games and if we win - go watch them.

Best wishes and sincerely hope you beat this thing!

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Be strong, man. A Myka win is more important than a Browns win.

Amen to that. Stay strong, be even more diligent against this virus during chemo.

Also, if we beat Pittsburgh you won't be allowed to watch a rematch. Call it superstition, karma, whatever you want. If we win Sunday, and lose in a rematch -- that you're watching -- there will be a bunch of us over there to hand you your first ass-whoopin' of 2021. rofl

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I believe that everything has a way of evening itself out. We got jammed by Covid last week with a heavily depleted roster. There is no way that was a fair gauge of two teams playing in a level game. Things were heavily favored for the Jets.

This week, the same goes in the other direction. With Pittsburgh sitting many of its starters things are heavily weighed in our favor depending on who returns from Covid protocol.

I don't know. I look at it this way, we have won 10 out of 15 games. That gives me 66.6% odds I'll be happy after watching the game Sunday. Compared to seasons passed I'm more than willing to take those odds and root for my team by watching every play.

I live very close to Nashville. As such I pay for the NFL Sunday Ticket every season to insure I can watch every Browns game. Many have been the seasons that the return on that investment has been very poor.

It has been nice to see a season that I can actually cling to as a building block for the future. I'll take it.

On a more important note. You have something going on in your life much more important than football. Take the best care of yourself possible. In context, football means nothing.

From my family to yours, prayers and best wishes are sent for a full and speedy recovery.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

It is all about perspective.

You have your fight to win. And win you will.

Embrace 10-5. A winning season has been a long time coming.

This is a playoff game.

No matter who plays or does not. All that goes by the wayside. Win and advance.

This is a good team. Last week was a anomaly. Hard to win a game against any team losing 8 players. Four of which was a whole position group. Toss that game away.

Yes, the Steelers will rest players and they are right to do that.

The Browns mission is win the game. When Sunday ends all media talk will be about the playoffs.

The regular season will mean nothing.

I expect to win and do not fear losing. I expect to enjoy the game.

If we were to get beat. Then turn off all media. Don't pay any attention unless you just want to watch football.

Once this season does end. I feel very good about the direction we are headed.

So for now all this is delicious gravy. I did not expect to be here. I was hoping to win nine and to celebrate a winning season.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Mika. I’m sorry to hear about your cancer. My wife was diagnosed in August for the 2nd time with it and had a major surgery and chemo. She’s doing ok now but she has to get her strength back and has another issue to deal with. I hope you get well and will keep you in my prayers. Stay strong my friend and keep fighting. I know that’s not easy.

Legend
Legend
Man,2020 can't end quick enough. Sorry to hear about your wife. Prayers for a full recovery.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Thanks my friend. She even had trouble with the chemo. Bleeding so they had to stop it. I really feel bad for anyone that has to go through this. This year has been the worst. People have their normal problems and then the covid-19 on top of it. Miserable!!

Legend
Legend

So much pain and suffering across the world.

Cancer has probably touched every family in some way.

Covid has killed so many and left many suffering.

It is up to all of us to support each other.

Hard times breed hard people.

Legend
Legend
Prayers and support for you. I hope all goes as well as possible. Be strong.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
j/c

This season reads like a Hollywood script. The hapless Browns begin from less than nothing, with a rookie head coach, a coaching staff who began the season without even being able to shake hands, 2/3 of a team, and the challenge of doing so remotely, with no traditional off-season.

And here are the Cleveland Browns, playing the last game of the regular season with a chance to make The Dance. These Cleveland Browns must beat the Pittsburg Steelers to become legitimate NFL elites.

Beat the Steelers. Exorcise The Demon. Earn your right to play on.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this scenario is exactly why I watch professional football. As a lifelong Browns fan, it doesn't get any better than this.

Hollywood script.
Ending: still to be determined.

What is your team made of?

This is so freakking cool.
I love it. I really do.

Or would you rather see us at 4-12?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Or would you rather see us at 4-12?

Only in April....on Draft day 1.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
Legend
Legend
If the 4-12 question is directed at me, no way (scratching my head). I also don't want us looking at a "perfect" winless finish either, just for the record.

Waiting for The Win, like the Cavs delivered, or Major League, or even The Replacements!

Just waiting with a perfect dread and excitement. Watching with my club and friends, we have had cheering for the scarce first down as a highlight reel event.

This is better.

Go, Browns! brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

Agree.

The only drag is covid. It taints this season.

Right now missing key players on the covid list.

And then there is the fans at the game.

Damn. It has taken forever to have a winning season. Now here we are on the cusp of a playoff game facing the Steelers at home. And 12k will be there. Then if we make it. Empty stands.

I am thrilled to be playing. I only wish the circumstances were different.

Practice Squad
Practice Squad
If you are going through Chemo 38 years old then you have to do whatever lifts you up and helps you get healthy.
Mental strength is a great part of your battle now.
Sunday is just a game and only you can decide if watching will help or hinder you.
I'm 68 and have been a fan for 60 of them.
I've missed countless games and am no worse for it.
BEST of Luck w/ your fight.
We hope to see you here for many many more games!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Good thoughts and prayers, Myka. I know you're hanging tough. And you have to do whatever puts you in the best frame of mind. Your number one priority is you, fighting the cancer, and getting better. So if that entails not watching, that's the deal then.

I certainly understand the frustration. It feels like we should've taken the season walking away. But that rarely happens with a "new" team. Of course, I hope we win this week, but I don't have faith we will. Between covid and our ability to Browns things up, I won't be surprised if we come away with a loss.

Having said that, it has been one hell of a year. The wins. The plays. The runs. Baker. Stefanski. Juice. Chubb. Hunt. Garret. Ward. All had game-changing, team defining moments and it has been a blast to watch. We can take away the fact that we have so many pieces in place, so much high-caliber talent on the team, a really, really good coach who game-plans, makes in-game adjustments, and coaches and motivates his players, and a front office who is hitting it out of the park with draft picks and acquisitions. And finally, we have a franchise QB who is learning and growing right in front of our eyes. Complain about his inability to scan the field? Blink and he's making all his reads. Baker can't throw with touch? The next week he's feathering them in. He's throwing too many INTs? Watch him go weeks without throwing a single one. Sure, he has his flaws, but lack of guts, grit, determination, a good arm, accuracy, and a desire to win for the Browns are definitely not on that list.

So I hope the Browns haven't broken you beyond you beyond repair. If now is not the time for you to participate in the ascension, that is their loss, but I hope you'll keep an eye out and rejoin wherever the time is right. In the mean time, I wish you strength, healthy thoughts, lots of love from those who care for you, and all the best in the coming year. Go Browns!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
myka Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: CalDawg

So I hope the Browns haven't broken you beyond you beyond repair. If now is not the time for you to participate in the ascension, that is their loss, but I hope you'll keep an eye out and rejoin wherever the time is right. In the mean time, I wish you strength, healthy thoughts, lots of love from those who care for you, and all the best in the coming year. Go Browns!

Definitely not beyond repair. Browns fan for life! Can't really do it any other way, even when I see my guys I was banging the table for (Patrick Mahomes, TJ Watt, DK Metcalf to name a few) tearing it up for other teams winning super bowls year in and year out.

The Browns have been dumb and had terrible luck, hoping one day it changes.

Just this game isn't a real game to me. So many factors to into it.

I think the #1 thing is I'm just sick of the NFL ripping us off. I don't know why it's always us, I know everyone says all teams deal with it, but they really just don't at our level.

The NFL postponed THREE TIMES so Lamar Jackson didn't have to miss a game, then they let him play against us while still having Covid symptoms (diarrhea on national TV), and now lookee lookee 2 weeks incubation time later and our team has an outbreak.

The Ravens suck at covid and now we might miss the playoffs cuz of it. I just can't take it any more.

Add to that the fact that we have another round of backups so it's gonna be a close game between our remaining starters and the Steelers BACKUPS. There's just no good outcome to this game. You either win like you should've vs BACKUPs, or you lose and we are once again the laughing stock of the NFL, at 10-6! 10-6 is supposed to be good!

Last time we were 10-6 we also missed the playoffs. If we lose this game it will just confirm the Browns are cursed to me and my life is cursed for rooting for them.

This will basically be a scrimmage game thanks to the NFL's incompetence (and saying it's incompetence is me being nice, since it seems more like it's on purpose. Did you watch the Colts vs Steelers game? Was wondering how the Steelers could make such a big comeback against a top defense, so went back and watched, and the terrible Refs calls gave them 14 points, it's so insane. I dunno what the Rooney's have done to convince the other 31 owners to keep favoring them but I'm sick of it)

I'll skip this one and watch the REAL game next week if we make it.

Sorry I got a little ranty, thanks everyone for the kind words above.

Legend
Legend
Best of luck with your treatments Myka & prayers your way. We are all pulling for you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2020 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 24 Steelers 22 Skipping first game in 38 years

Link Copied to Clipboard