Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Almost half of Republicans support the pro-Trump protesters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, putting them at odds with Democrats who largely oppose the actions of the demonstrators, a poll has found.

The survey released by YouGov on Thursday morning found that 45 percent of Republican voters backed the attack on the Capitol building, while 43 percent said they "strongly or somewhat" opposed the protesters' behavior.

Six percent of Republicans were unsure while a further 6 percent said they were unaware of the events.

By comparison, an overwhelming majority of Democratic voters (96 percent) said they were strongly or somewhat opposed to the actions of pro-Trump protesters—actions that led to four deaths and at least 52 arrests.

Only one in five independents told pollsters they backed the protests, while more than two-thirds (67 percent) said they were opposed.

Almost three-quarters of all voters (71 percent) either strongly or somewhat opposed the actions of demonstrators, with only a minority (21 percent) saying they supported the storming of the Capitol.

Asked whether they believed the breach of the building was a threat to democracy, 62 percent of all registered voters told YouGov it was. Thirty-two percent said it was not.

However, when the results were broken down along partisan lines, pollsters found that more than two-thirds of Republicans (68 percent) felt the protesters were not a threat to democracy, compared to 27 percent who felt they were.

Democrats were less divided on the issue. Ninety-three percent said the storming of the Capitol represented a threat to democracy, while only 4 percent felt it was not.

When it came to assigning blame, 55 percent of voters said President Donald Trump was responsible for the breach of Congress. Just 22 percent said he was "not at all to blame."

Half of all voters think it would be appropriate to remove Trump from office over the incident and his perceived stoking of the unrest.

In the wake of the protests, The New York Times reported that some Republicans had discussed removing the president under the 25th Amendment, despite the fact that he is set to leave the White House in a little less than two weeks.

YouGov surveyed 1,448 registered voters, including 1,397 who had heard about the unfolding events on Capitol Hill, within the space of half an hour on January 6. The poll's margin of error is 3.3 percentage points.

https://www.newsweek.com/45-percent-republican-voters-support-storming-capitol-1559662

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
despicable and deplorable.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Yikes. I'm trying to wrap my brain around how such a large % could be in favor. Could it be due to when the poll was taken (am I reading that last sentence correctly... poll was taken same day, within an hour of it happening)?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Disturbing and repulsive.

I don't care about partisan politics. The rule of Law must prevail.

Supporting what took place is no different than ceding from from the Union. It is treason.

Anyone who supports what took place does not deserve to live in this country.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I think when it was taken may have something to do with. I'm just not sure how much of a difference time passing will make. I'm sure as more details come out some will change their minds and their perspective.

But after seeing all of the lies, conspiracies and warped sense of reality they have believed for so long, I'm wondering if anything will change their minds at this point.

A change has happened so fast. Sure, there are crazy people on both sides. Extremists on both sides. But until now these people were on the outside looking in. At this point in time they have taken complete control of the Republican party.

I've always had disagreements over policy issues with both parties in the past. But up until now I didn't see cause to question their patriotism or there sincerity. If you take men like Mitt Romney or John McCain, they aren't people I always agreed with but they are men of character and integrity. Now men of such character are shunned and attacked by their own party.

Republicans used to claim being the party of personal responsibility and accountability. No more can they make claim to that mantra.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's actually a paradox that I present to my own family and can't seem to get a real answer to.

Assuming you (not you, Pit, individually) are a Republican who voted for McCain, Romney, and Trump, based on platforms, and now see how much they are (or were) at odds, how do you reconcile that?

Honest question. Because, I don't think much ever really changed in the beliefs and advocacy of McCain or Romney. What made them wrong all of a sudden, and Trump right?

I have my own inclinations, but I don't fall within that group. Perhaps someone who falls in line with that can answer?

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Quote:
I'm wondering if anything will change their minds at this point.

I doubt it. Seriously, what could I possibly say to change your mind? We both know the answer to that question, so it is pointless to try. It is what it is.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
That's actually a paradox that I present to my own family and can't seem to get a real answer to.

Assuming you (not you, Pit, individually) are a Republican who voted for McCain, Romney, and Trump, based on platforms, and now see how much they are (or were) at odds, how do you reconcile that?

Honest question. Because, I don't think much ever really changed in the beliefs and advocacy of McCain or Romney. What made them wrong all of a sudden, and Trump right?

I have my own inclinations, but I don't fall within that group. Perhaps someone who falls in line with that can answer?

I see it like this. I liked McCain and Romney. I didn't and don't really like President Trump as a person. I think he is a gruff, spoiled SOB, but darned if I didn't like his positions on the issues.

I want a secure border.
I want fair deals with China....obviously they didn't, they turned loose a virus on the world.

I could go on.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Who the hell are they talking to? I've been a republican my entire life... know several republicans (and dems)... I've only know one or two who have supported storming the capital...

what they did was disgusting and i hope they are found and prosecuted...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I see it like this. I liked McCain and Romney. I didn't and don't really like President Trump as a person. I think he is a gruff, spoiled SOB, but darned if I didn't like his positions on the issues.

I want a secure border.
I want fair deals with China....obviously they didn't, they turned loose a virus on the world.

I could go on.

this is how I felt... I agree more on his policies than I do Biden... after the crap he's pulled after the election I wouldn't vote for him again... hoping he doesn't (or can't) run in 2024...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I would like to see how the questions were worded. I can't fathom that number is an accurate depiction.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
I would like to see how the questions were worded. I can't fathom that number is an accurate depiction.

You, sir, are a voice of reason in this 'hate' political game. Thank you. (now, watch me get attacked)

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: archbolddawg

You, sir, are a voice of reason in this 'hate' political game. Thank you. (now, watch me get attacked)

I agree ... it's entirely possible to lead a "poll" in a particular direction based on the questions - how they are formatted and how they lead onto the next question.

With that said it seems both of you agree that what happened at the Capitol Building was wrong. Criminal. Anti-American? ... yes or did I go to far?

Assuming you agree with that - it then seems that the impeachment of Trump would be merited if:

- There is sufficient evidence that he has constantly pushed a lie since Nov 3rd that the election was stolen. (indisputable)

- That using this lie - has motivated and cajoled his avid/loyal supporters into action. (hard to refute)

- Used the speech and the speech of all his closest allies to talk up revolution, violence, fighting, overturning the election result to prevent the election being stolen. (debatable - but I haven't reviewed all the speeches, tweets and media).

- Evidence that there were plans made by Trump and Rudy and his Allies that were contingent on the process of the Electoral Votes being delayed. (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that prior to the 6th Allies of the Trump gave access to the Building to some of the parties who occupied the Building on the 6th. (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that Trump/Allies deliberately prevented rigorous defense of the Capitol Building being in place for the 6th (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that when back-up was requested on the 6th - that Trump/Allies deliberately delayed approving the much needed support (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating).

I mean the easy answer would be to shrug all that off and deflect.... But my hope is that each point gets fully investigated and those coordinating the occupation of the Capitol get the full weight of the law thrown at them. There is just so much that stinks about the events.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I agree ... it's entirely possible to lead a "poll" in a particular direction based on the questions - how they are formatted and how they lead onto the next question.

With that said it seems both of you agree that what happened at the Capitol Building was wrong. Criminal. Anti-American? ... yes or did I go to far?
I'm with you so far.

Quote:

Assuming you agree with that - it then seems that the impeachment of Trump would be merited if:

- There is sufficient evidence that he has constantly pushed a lie since Nov 3rd that the election was stolen. (indisputable)

- That using this lie - has motivated and cajoled his avid/loyal supporters into action. (hard to refute)

- Used the speech and the speech of all his closest allies to talk up revolution, violence, fighting, overturning the election result to prevent the election being stolen. (debatable - but I haven't reviewed all the speeches, tweets and media).

- Evidence that there were plans made by Trump and Rudy and his Allies that were contingent on the process of the Electoral Votes being delayed. (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that prior to the 6th Allies of the Trump gave access to the Building to some of the parties who occupied the Building on the 6th. (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that Trump/Allies deliberately prevented rigorous defense of the Capitol Building being in place for the 6th (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating)

- Evidence that when back-up was requested on the 6th - that Trump/Allies deliberately delayed approving the much needed support (No proof yet - but some inferences that bare investigating).

I mean the easy answer would be to shrug all that off and deflect.... But my hope is that each point gets fully investigated and those coordinating the occupation of the Capitol get the full weight of the law thrown at them. There is just so much that stinks about the events.

You lost me on the rest of this. I mean, you yourself state in ( ) no proof.

Bottom line, the attempted impeachment is singly this: We don't like Trump, and some of us need to kowtow to what we think will get us re elected.

The senate, for prosecution of impeachment needs to investigate, then debate. There are 7 days left. That isn't happening.

No, this impeachment in the house is a vitriolic, idiotic attempt at what could not be done in the prior 4 years,and we know the dem's tried hard for 4 years.

Legend
Legend
To your first question, yes it dead criminal and un-American.

As to impeachment... You through in a lot of ifs in there. If some of your its are true he should be thrown in prison. Also, you talk about him lying about the election. I think he really believes that some of the stuff he says is true. He believed it in 16 when he won and I have seen nothing from him to think he has changed his mind.

So you know, I didn't vote for him in 16 and I certainly didn't vote for him this year.

#gmstrong
A
Legend
Legend
A
Whether you voted for him or not does not invalidate your well spoken opinion.

It's just, on here, if someone doesn't crucify Trump on everything and anything, they get labeled. Way to cya.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Oh, and I know probably tomorrow there will be the usual 2-4 people attacking my statements.

Legend
Legend
Bottom line you spoke the truth. I'm sure perfect will come and attack. I have always considered him and 40 trolls and nothing I've read from him changes my opinion.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Oh, and I know probably tomorrow there will be the usual 2-4 people attacking my statements.

There's no probably about it, arch, guaranteed...

O
Legend
Legend
O

Oh somebody is full of himself. I won't attack you because I don't care what you think. Trump is being impeached again for yet another horrendous crime and your nature is to cover for him in any way you can. I get that, but as you pretend to be looking for something deeper, moral, or just simply gloss over the facts that the rest of us agree to, most of us have moved on to the part where we drive Trump and all that is Trump politically back into the shadows of irrelevance. Don't forget your scarlet T on the way out the door.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I have no idea what the actual numbers are, nor do I care. They can and probably do number into the tens of millions. The questions are only relevant to understand if the answers are somehow skewed, yet it troubles me that the answers themselves are not the greatest concern you two seem to have. I know you said you didn't vote for him, but I have to ask if you support him? Do you think impeachment is a political move or did you see what we saw on the 6th? Did you see him rile up the crowd and send them to the capitol? Did you listen to his words? Haven't you watched him spread his brand of hate and vitriol for the last 4 years as we have?

I mean, I feel a bit vindicated by recent events. I've told everyone I know who he is for the last four years and could not believe that others could not see it as plain as I have. I'm not surprised by what he has done, what he will try to do, or what he will accomplish with those that would do anything for him... but I think those numbers are dwindling by the minute and after he is successfully impeached, as long as McConnell gets onboard, then he will no longer be a major threat. He and his movement will be just another fascist uprising in the trash bin of horrendous human bad actors. And his most ardent supporters will be there too, just like other fascist leaders and their henchmen.

I was lucky enough to see how some of the once fierce Nazi leaders acted as they've been hunted down and brought to justice over the years. And we all know how it ended for Hitler and Mussolini... Even more importantly, history shows us how the foot soldiers, who initially claimed to be just following orders, soon sorted themselves between the truly repentant and the truly lost. We will now get to watch some of that go on in this country, but hopefully to a lesser degree and with no more bloodshed needed. I'm convinced that most of Trump's supporters bought into his lies and somehow replaced reality with the world he wanted them to believe in... now we get to see who can come back to reality and who is lost. Polls like this mean nothing if we can't see it with our own eyes, 45% or 10% does it even matter? My best guess is the actual number of people who would do something like the 6th again for Trump is more in the thousands or possibly tens of thousands, but they are no match at all for our Military and intelligence agencies and consequently they are no longer a major threat.

This does not mean that they should not be judged and punished. This does not mean that they all are deserving of punishment. This just means in another week, they will no longer bother the average citizen and whatever becomes of them is frankly their problem. They attacked our country and anything they get, they deserve. They supported a fascist POTUS and anything they get, they deserve. They want to heal and move on... we can do that as soon as the accountability stage is done and amends have been made or legal prices have been paid. The rest of it means nothing. Maybe then some of the diehards who felt so empowered can begin to accept the new world they find themselves in, instead of clinging to some trash ass white supremacy and fascist propaganda. That would go a long way toward healing the country. Good luck finding any willing to admit that today, but time has a way of changing hearts and minds... so does being considered terrorists.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 01/14/21 01:14 AM.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, the first one didn't take long. ocd wins the prize.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You've had trump impeached since before he was sworn in. Please spare us anything other than your hatred.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I've been 100% right all along and you are finally going to have to admit that. I love it.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Or, 99.9% wrong. But if that makes you feel good, go for it.

Mueller report. Russian collusion. Nuclear war with N. Korea. War with China (guns war, not trade war)........dude, your list goes on and on and on of things you've been wrong about.

O
Legend
Legend
O
lol, I knew you'd jump on that like a pitbull while you are reeling with the loss of your Doltus.

A
Legend
Legend
A
You are so sad. Dude, I'm not reeling with the loss (not sure what that means though). Biden won. I've admitted that so many times. You, on the other hand, can't grasp that just because someone voted for trump.........know what? you aren't worth the time.

Now, come tomorrow, pit will have 2 posts to reply to. You 2 are so predictable it's sad.

B
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
B
Quote:
No, this impeachment in the house is a vitriolic, idiotic attempt at what could not be done in the prior 4 years,and we know the dem's tried hard for 4 years.

I don't buy that. This, to me, is more about impeaching the Republican party for the next two years, at least, then holding Trump accountable. Cruz, Hawley, McConnell et. al. have done a terrific job of carrying a bucket of pee for Trump especially post election.

I say this, but I must admit to you, I have gone full George Carlin the last five years or so. These folks, Republican or Democrat care only about protecting themselves and their ruling class aka "the owners" than doing anything for the common man. It's about who gets to put their hand in the cookie jar.

Trump may have put a nail in the GOP coffin by kowtowing to the most idiotic of voices in America because that's the kid of POS he is. He loves to get in spats. He has no idea how to build bridges only burn them.

Unfortunately now, I fear we will get four years of leftists running amok trying to tell me what to do, what to say, what to think, what to wear, what to watch all in the guise of making America a better, safer place . . . for them and their owners.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Polls can be generated to produce a desired result. You also have to be able to trust the polling source. Just toss out polling data as flawed one way or the other until you get the desired result.

We need to be very careful here. A very large segment of our population is more or less brainwashed and want the government to be their keeper.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

This is the crux of why I got into a pee/poo contest in another thread. I simply can't fathom that % being legit.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
Legend
M

You lost me on the rest of this. I mean, you yourself state in ( ) no proof.

I don't have access to all the information. I am 100% certain that others in Congress and the Senate information - or what evidence has been gathered so far. I don't listen or watch what Trump says, does. I get snippets.

My questions and comments were not to lay out why Trump should be impeached. It was to list out the things that would prove that Trump was complicit in inciting the insurgency.

Last edited by mgh888; 01/14/21 10:07 AM.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D

I want a secure border.

I could go on.

Thanks for responding. For the record, I voted for McCain (although I HATED Palin) and Romney, too. When it comes to the issues, depending on what is pressing at the time, I tend to align with that side of the aisle.

In 2016, I went 3rd party because I just could not get behind Trump. I also want secure borders and - given the nature of my work - I think I am more mistrusting of China than most, so I am 100% on board with exuding leverage over them.

It's the place where you and I agree about his attitude, personality, and what I perceived to be his personal motivations, ambitions and tendencies that I believed made him unfit for POTUS. I thought he would put a strain on our institutions and foment intense polarization, both of which I think happened.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
"
Almost half of Republicans support the pro-Trump protesters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, putting them at odds with Democrats who largely oppose the actions of the demonstrators, a poll has found"

What it really puts them at odds with is "THE LAW"

Law and Order party my butt

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
You are so sad. Dude, I'm not reeling with the loss (not sure what that means though). Biden won. I've admitted that so many times. You, on the other hand, can't grasp that just because someone voted for trump.........know what? you aren't worth the time.

Now, come tomorrow, pit will have 2 posts to reply to. You 2 are so predictable it's sad.

rofl

whatever arch. rolleyes

I'll just be quiet now and watch y'all whine.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Almost half of Republicans support the pro-Trump protesters who stormed the U.S. Capitol on Wednesday, putting them at odds with Democrats who largely oppose the actions of the demonstrators, a poll has found.

The actual question that was asked:

How much do you support or agree with those who stormed the Capitol?

-Completely
-Somewhat
-Only a little
-Not at all

So hypothetically, what if I agree with them that I think the election results are shady and that there appears to have been some irregularities... but I don't support their actions of storming the Capitol.

How do I answer that question?

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/...tormed-capitol/

Here's some info on the poll results with the actual question.

Using the word Patriotic to describe them and defending freedom seem to be troublingly high answers.

I think - based on the fact that the premise of a "stolen election" is a total, complete lie and has been proven to be a lie in the courts - and that even after that, the idea that people think this was a legitimate protest along with patriotic and 'defending freedom' is deeply, deeply troubling.

You can try to couch and reframe the issue onto "irregularities" or whatever ... but Trump has been selling a lie, as have Cruz - Gohmert and the others. It's been run through the courts ... there is no merit in trying to throw ANY shade on the legitimacy of the election or the result.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Those verbs mean a lot and are somewhat contradictory. Now, I wouldn't choose either one, personally, but it is possible to agree with what they believe while not supporting their actions, which is exactly what you said.

Now, on the contrary, I'd be curious to see how many people who responded to the poll actually gave it that much of a deep, philosophical consideration.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

I want a secure border.

I could go on.

and a violent overthrow of the government? because that's part of the package. Stop ignoring that part.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

Why do you continue to lie? Actually OCD and I disagree on a lot of things and fight amongst ourselves quite often. I'm sure you never saw that though. wink

As for how questions of a survey having a huge impact on the outcome, you are certainly right. You'll get no argument from me on that. Was that enough of an attack on you? wink

But then you went off the deep end.... again.

Let's do a little math, shall we?

Trump was elected in November of 2016. He took office in January of 2017. There wasn't even an impeachment inquiry held until September 24th 2019.

For someone who had him impeached from the moment he took office, it took them over two and a half years to attempt it. For some reason that math doesn't add up.

Do you consider that an attack? If you do your threshold is pretty low.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
A very large segment of our population is more or less brainwashed and want the government to be their keeper.

And another portion of our population is brainwashed into thinking our government should be overthrown by listening to conspiracy theories that have been proven over and over again to be false.

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus 45 Percent of Republican Voters Support Storming of Capitol Building: Poll

Link Copied to Clipboard