Next Thread
Print Thread
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
First off ... LETS GOOOOOOOooooooooo thumbsup

Dave Ramsey is a money guy that has been helping people get out of debt, get their kids through college, pay off their mortgages and save for retirement for 30+ years. He has a 7 step plan he calls the baby steps and millions have used it to get out debt and build a sound financial future.

His principals are simple, he says being financially responsible is 20% knowledge and 80% behavior and the 20% knowledge makes all the sense in the world and is an incredibly simple concept once you’ve been shown the roadmap.

It starts with creating a budget, paying off all your debt so your money is all yours. One of his favorite saying is “ u can wander into debt but u cant wander out of it”. You need a plan and he has been teaching his plan for over 30 years. The proof is in the pudding and he has millions of folks that can attest to that.

Here is a link to Dave’s website: https://www.daveramsey.com/

Here is a link to the top 10 debt free screams (not sure of the time frame): https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/top-debt-free-screams

It is one of my favorite parts of his show and gets me pumped and makes me so so happy for the folks that are now debt free every time I hear one, and they’ve had me in tears more than once ... this is TRUELY LIFE CHANGING!

On it you will find many resources to help you regardless of where your at in your journey. He has a daily radio show for 3 hours, I listen to at least one hour a day and have learned a ton. Its on YouTube, a podcast and on Alexa. His website is LOADED with all kinds of great content!

I found him two years ago but have always followed his basic principals and have helped around 15 friends get out debt, get their kids through college, pay off their mortgages or build their retirement funds, I have walked a few of them through all the steps. It is possibly the most rewarding thing Ive ever done. Even though I have helped over a dozen folks on their journey I have learned plenty from Mr. Ramsey including the mistakes I made helping my friends on their journey.

He also offers a course called financial peace university, its a 9 video course that walks you through the seven steps in a group setting taught by a leader. I taught my first FPU (Financial Peace University) course last October. I had 5 couples in my class, over the 9 weeks they paid off 14k of debt for an average of just under 3k a couple.

If your serious about taking control of your money as opposed to having your money control you, you need to check this out. It is life changing stuff and this man and his now huge org. have been doing it for over 30 years!

I will be leading my 2nd class starting in Mid February and cant wait!

If you have any questions or want some more info please ask. Ask in this thread or shoot me a PM. I will get back to you. I also know of one other poster that has followed his plan and I believe has taught an FPU class, please chime in as you have been involved a lot longer than I have been. If you don’t want to chime in and have any insights please PM and I will post them in this thread.

With that said ...

LETS GOOOOOOOOoooooooooo

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ummmmmmmmmmm

This might not be the best time to talk about Dave Ramsey.

P
Legend
Legend
P
These days that doesn't seem like a problem for many people.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes. Let's not talk about Dave Ramsey and the millions of lives he's changed because someone has made an allegation.

I also know many who have found freedom through Dave's principles. My wife and I have been completely debt free for 13 years. It was an uphill battle but worth every step. There is no comparison to knowing you owe nobody and fear no financial setback. I've taught classes as well, it's amazing when you see someone turn their life around by making a few sacrifices and following some fairly simple principles. Like anything else, the power is in making the decision. I know one couple that made the ultimate sacrifice and downgraded their vehicles and sold their home to accelerate the process... Five years later, all previous revolving debt is resolved and they're accelerating payments on a house that cost 50% more.

Good for you Diam, it's great to find something you can be excited about with the added benefit of helping others.

Keep up the great work!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Dude's a grifter.

Society ain't got room for anti-mask dolts.

D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Thanks Fate, Peen .. appreciate it ...

Please ignore the holier than thou ,PC correct, bullies that have led PERFECT LIVES .. it’s not about them ... please don’t let them ruin it for those it may help ...

The “grifter”” over the holidays paid off 10 million in debt for folks who needed the help .. now, Dave is an incredible marketer and prolly paid off the 10 million in debt for around 1.5 million ... he had a ton of leverage and along with being a great grifter is one heck of a negotiator ...

Thanks again for your support ... if it helps just one dawg .. it was well worth it ... thumbsup

https://www.daveramsey.com/blog/-forgiven-debt-payoff

If you’ve ever been in debt, you’ve probably sat around and daydreamed about what it would be like if someone walked up out of the blue and paid off your debt. How awesome would that be? Maybe your long-lost Uncle George (who you’ve never heard about before) shows up on your doorstep to announce he’s paid one of your debts. Wouldn’t that be nice.

Well, for 8,000 people, that dream came true.

But the uncle’s name was Dave.

This November, Ramsey Solutions bought the debt of 8,000 people from two private debt collection companies and completely forgave it—to the tune of $10 million dollars, to be exact. No strings attached. No contest to enter. No hoops to jump through. Just gone. That’s $10 million of debt wiped out—completely forgiven.

But wait, it gets better . . .

Hello? Your Debt Is Forgiven!
As if that wasn’t amazing enough, each Ramsey Solutions team member got to call and deliver the good news to people! Everyone got the chance to play Santa and spread Christmas cheer to folks outside of our own walls. The best part of all has been hearing the stories that came out of this. On the other end of the phone was a real person with real, everyday struggles. And hearing their powerful stories just blew everyone away.

money icon
Take control of your money with a FREE Ramsey+ trial.
One person said, “I strung that thing (the debt) along, just scraping to make payments. It’s one of those things that you’re never gonna pay off because you have current bills and it gets lost in the shuffle.”

She added, “I work in a women’s facility. All I tell these women every day is that it’s going to get better. And you can’t even explain to them how it’s going to get better. But it gets better in ways you’ve never dreamed of . . . like this phone call.”

Its a real shame he’s a grifter ...

S
All Pro
All Pro
S
How can anyone hate on Dave Ramsey? The guy is just spreading personal finance knowledge to people, helping them living better lives. He is doing it by being entertaining and that has helped make him pretty wealthy. Good for him.

Many of the things he is teaching should be taught in every high school.

BTW. I am proud to know a young couple now that is on his program. They are saving money to own their first home without taking a mortgage. Putting a lot of sweat equity into it themselves.

Last edited by s003apr; 01/17/21 08:40 PM.
Legend
Legend
it's amazing how little real financial information is taught in school... budgeting, debt, mortgages, investing.... I got very little if any in school.

<><

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: jaybird
it's amazing how little real financial information is taught in school... budgeting, debt, mortgages, investing.... I got very little if any in school.

Our country would be so much better off if schools taught one basic intro to home economics class. And I don't mean the kind where you learn how to cook and sew. I mean finances, agreeing with jaybird.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

I have always thought that wasn't something the schools should have to do, it should be done by the parents.

Then I think about how much my parents NEVER taught me (and actually both passed away before they had much of a chance).. and how bad so many other parents are at it.. and you could easily change my mind.

yebat' Putin
E
Legend
Legend
E
Probably a large percentage of people in this country don't know how to manage their money. Why would you want them teaching their kids if they don't even have it figured out?

No Craps Given
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: EveDawg
Probably a large percentage of people in this country don't know how to manage their money. Why would you want them teaching their kids if they don't even have it figured out?

I agree. Kids learn how to manage money by watching their parents "manage" money. They learn how to keep track of which credit card is working this month.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Not teaching personal finance in high school has been one of my pet peeves for 30 years now. It makes no sense to me at all.

Ramsey has a course for high school kids and its in some high schools around the country, I am currently doing it with my 16 year old nephew. We started it about 6 weeks ago and spend an hour a week doing it.

They also have a course for kids in grammar school. I would buy that and do it with my youngest nephew but he doesn’t want to do it and his parent’s won’t make him. I don’t understand why as all it would do is take away an hour of his screen time a week and worst case we’d be planting the seed.

I’m telling you dawgs, regardless of where your at in your financial journey, you need to check his site out, there is so much on it. My wife told me about Ramsey 10 years ago or so. I told her I didn’t need it as I had lived on a budget for 30 years and helped plenty of folks get out of debt including her and I was doing very well financially. Once again I was wrong, I wish I had done it 10 years ago for a few reasons.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I have always thought that wasn't something the schools should have to do, it should be done by the parents.

I don't disagree with you, but putting a basic finance course into the high school curriculum wouldn't be all that hard (finding the time slot might be difficult, but the material is super basic).
Also, as has already been pointed out, having some parents pass on their money-management to their children is probably doing them a disservice. Further on that line of thought, the tools on hand to manage your money look VERY different now than they did when I was growing up. Online banking is still pretty foreign for my parents.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Working in a small town bank for over 25 years I always thought Dave Ramsey's advice to be over simplistic.

I feel his advice is great if you really have no clue about spending & saving. I have heard a few episodes of his show and he seems to not ask enough questions of his callers and tends to give the same advice which is usually just to pay off debt and even though some of you may doubt it, that is not always the best advice.

I do applaud that he at least gets people thinking about finances but he certainly has no magic cure. It comes down to personal responsibility and spending beyond your means.

I think parents do a poor job of educating their kids about finance and others go overboard telling kids to never borrow and pay cash for everything.Not teh best advice if they ever want to by a home.

Legend
Legend
I agree.... Dave is good about getting out of debt.... but I would look to others for investing advice... Dave is pretty anti debt... but leveraging and debt can be beneficial if it's for investing... credit card debt for a boat or $85k car is stupid but debt for an investment property can be really smart...

I did learn some financial information from my parents... but even just recently, i've learned so much that I've wondered why my parents never taught me... and my parents are pretty successful financially.... so leaving it just up to the parents I think is setting up kids for failure...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Paying off debt is not always the best advice? Please explain.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE
Paying off debt is not always the best advice? Please explain.

i know you asked Diam but let me take a stab... if I have a debt that has a low interest (say 3%)... I have the option to pay the minimum and hold the loan longer or pay over and pay it off faster... If I have something else I want to invest that overpayment into that will make me more than 3% then maybe I don't want to pay off my loan as fast and invest the money... if I don't have anything to invest in then do the overpayment.

with that said... its to everyone's comfort level... I've paid off debt when it might not have made the most sense because I wanted to be done with that loan...

also... I ALWAYS pay my credit card off each month... that's a debt that's not worth it because those interest rates can really jump... and if I have anything with a high interest rate (which i rarely do anymore) I will pay that off... but low interest stuff I've held onto because it made more financial sense to continue investing in other things that would make me more money than the interest I was paying on the loan...

<><

#gmstrong
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

i know you asked Diam but let me take a stab... if I have a debt that has a low interest (say 3%)... I have the option to pay the minimum and hold the loan longer or pay over and pay it off faster... If I have something else I want to invest that overpayment into that will make me more than 3% then maybe I don't want to pay off my loan as fast and invest the money... if I don't have anything to invest in then do the overpayment.

Ramseys advice doesn't apply to scenarios like that. Ramsey advice is for people that are addicted to debt and are overwhelmed. I think of Ramsey as AA for people in debt.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN
Working in a small town bank for over 25 years I always thought Dave Ramsey's advice to be over simplistic.

I feel his advice is great if you really have no clue about spending & saving. I have heard a few episodes of his show and he seems to not ask enough questions of his callers and tends to give the same advice which is usually just to pay off debt and even though some of you may doubt it, that is not always the best advice.

I do applaud that he at least gets people thinking about finances but he certainly has no magic cure. It comes down to personal responsibility and spending beyond your means.

I think parents do a poor job of educating their kids about finance and others go overboard telling kids to never borrow and pay cash for everything.Not teh best advice if they ever want to by a home.

His advice is simplistic, were not splitting atoms here. He says its 20% knowledge and 80% behavior and the 20% knowledge consists of things like budgeting, spending less than u make. Its almost all pretty simple stuff.

Curious as to if you know what % of the folks you deal with budget? I've been budgeting since my late 20s and just ASSumed everyone did. *L* ... pretty bas ASSumption on my part, I’m stunned at how few actually have a budget.

Fate asked U when its not a good idea to pay off debt. Please explain when its not a good idea to pay off debt. I’m not being snarky, I would like to know when paying off debt is a bad idea.

Dave does not tell you to not take out a mortgage. He has guidelines he’d like you to follow, but if you cant you do what you need to. Do you know what those guidelines are? I’d be more than happy to share them with you if you’d like.

Legend
Legend
I would think that paying off debt that is at a rate lower than your expected savings or investment rate of return would be foolish. (such as a 0-1.9% rate on a car loan)

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
Originally Posted By: FORTBROWNFAN

His advice is simplistic, were not splitting atoms here. He says its 20% knowledge and 80% behavior and the 20% knowledge consists of things like budgeting, spending less than u make. Its almost all pretty simple stuff.

Curious as to if you know what % of the folks you deal with budget? I've been budgeting since my late 20s and just ASSumed everyone did. *L* ... pretty bas ASSumption on my part, I’m stunned at how few actually have a budget.

Fate asked U when its not a good idea to pay off debt. Please explain when its not a good idea to pay off debt. I’m not being snarky, I would like to know when paying off debt is a bad idea.

Dave does not tell you to not take out a mortgage. He has guidelines he’d like you to follow, but if you cant you do what you need to. Do you know what those guidelines are? I’d be more than happy to share them with you if you’d like.

I did not realize Fate was asking me but there are way too many scenarios where paying debt should not be your first priority to type on a message board. To be quick, here is a simple one;

Say your only debt is your home mortgage but you basically have no savings and are living paycheck to paycheck. You put every extra dollar to the mortgage which is advice I have heard him give on the radio.

Then you get a "work bonus" or other unexpected significant amount of money. You instinctively put that on the principal of the loan and then have a major expense you could not expect such as a car or home repair. Now your loan amount is less but you have no cash.

It may sound rare but I have been asked many times advice regarding similar situations. As I said he is very simplistic & I don't mean the plan is simplistic, it is simplistic because every persons situation is different.

I also have not always agreed with advisors who tell people with 8-10 credit cards to pay the highest interest CCs off first. That may very well be the best way but if you have 3-4 of those cards with lower rates but low balances, paying them off and cutting them up gives a sense of accomplishment to toward the goal of CC reduction. It makes the goal less daunting long term.

Anyway, my original point, though apparently poorly presented, was financial advice is not that simple. Also people sometimes only take part of your advice which may be worse than taking none or all.

Hope this makes sense. To answer another question, ,where I worked was a large proportion of very conservative people with kids taught to use credit wisely and save money. I honestly don't know if they budget and even if they do, a budget is only as good as the thought put into it. I had nineteen year old kids who had saved $25,000- $30,000 from working since they were 13. Made buying their first house easy but still needed some credit history.

I also insisted my own kids get a credit card at eighteen and a co-signed car loan for their first car. My kids had credit scores in the 730-740 range in their early 20s. Not terribly unique but you asked about my thoughts. I don't think borrowing is inherently bad but concede many people of all ages aren't mature enough to do it well.

You offered to send his "plan" which isn't really necessary as I wasn't looking to cause a rift, just point out my opinion. My response is based on listening to his radio show from time to time.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires

Ramseys advice doesn't apply to scenarios like that. Ramsey advice is for people that are addicted to debt and are overwhelmed. I think of Ramsey as AA for people in debt.

100% agree... as I said above... I like Ramsey for getting out of debt... but that's as far as it goes... to build wealth I'd look into things like Rich Dad Poor Dad, Richest Man in Babylon, or Set for Life.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
My parents did the same with me in terms of credit card... they helped me open my first bank account at 15 I think and then I got my first credit card at 18... unfortuantely I suckered into another one at an Indians game where I got a free shirt at 19 smile

Thankfully, I didn't rack up too much debt on that before i realized that I was getting screwed on the interest rate... so I was able to get my credit built fairly quickly when I was young...

I also think having a good emergency fund is really important. Your line about people living paycheck to paycheck and not having an emergency fund is really important... I didn't really realize how many people can't handle being off work even for a week or two until the pandemic. I worked with someone who is making over $100k a year... but when her hours were reduced by 25% she flipped out because she wasn't going to be able to pay her bills... I was floored she didn't have an emergency fund...

<><

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Glad!
To see you are alive and posting.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
D
You offered to send his "plan" which isn't really necessary as I wasn't looking to cause a rift, just point out my opinion. My response is based on listening to his radio show from time to time.

I’m not looking for a rift either. There’s more than one way to skin a cat and Daves way is not the only way but he does have a great blueprint and as u said its not a one size fits all. I have veered from Dave’s way a few times. I value your opinion and anyone else’s, I may not agree with it but I value it. I love learning and asking questions and going point, counterpoint is a great way to do it IMO. Please don’t take anything I say in here as me de-valuing you or your opinion. I would imagine your very fiscally responsible and have raised your children to be also.

I also was curious as to how much you actually knew about his plan.

Say your only debt is your home mortgage but you basically have no savings and are living paycheck to paycheck. You put every extra dollar to the mortgage which is advice I have heard him give on the radio.

Then you get a "work bonus" or other unexpected significant amount of money. You instinctively put that on the principal of the loan and then have a major expense you could not expect such as a car or home repair. Now your loan amount is less but you have no cash.

It may sound rare but I have been asked many times advice regarding similar situations. As I said he is very simplistic & I don't mean the plan is simplistic, it is simplistic because every persons situation is different.

Daves baby steps (BS .. smile ) are as follows:

1. 1,000 starter emergency fund .. so if your beaks go or your need new tires you don’t have to go into debt to take care of “minor” issues that arise.

2. Pay off debt ... he uses the snowball affect, more on that later. This does not include your house.

3. Fully funded emergence fund ... 3 - 6 months to pay your bills if you have a true emergency.

4. Invest 15% for retirement

5. Fund kids college

6. Pay off your mortgage

7. Live and give like no other.

You do steps 4 -6 at the same time.

So your scenario above tells me you haven’t listened to enough of his shows or read much if any about his plan. Before you start paying off your house you have all ready paid off all your other debt and have a fully funded emergency fund (you’d have money in the bank). So your scenario is not a part of Dave’s plan as you would all ready have savings before attacking your mortgage.

If you were in BS 2 the extra money at the end of the month or the bonus check would go towards your debt or if you were in BS 3 it would go to fully fund your emergency fund, once you hit BS’s 4,5 and 6 you could put it where you like.

I also have not always agreed with advisors who tell people with 8-10 credit cards to pay the highest interest CCs off first. That may very well be the best way but if you have 3-4 of those cards with lower rates but low balances, paying them off and cutting them up gives a sense of accomplishment to toward the goal of CC reduction. It makes the goal less daunting long term.

You just outlined Dave’s plan almost to a T. He uses what he calls the snowball affect. In BS2 you list all your debt from smallest to largest regardless of interest rate. Then you pay off the smallest debt first, it give you the sense of accomplishment you spoke off and as I’m sure your aware it then gives you the monthly payment you were making on that debt to put towards your next debt and so on and so forth down the line.

This is one part of Dave’s plan that wasn’t for me. When I got married my wife brought in a 13k car loan at like 4%. I had taken out a 100k mortgage when i bought my ma a house in South Carolina. The interest rate was around 3 at the time. I owed about 60k on it after 3 years when we got married. Dave’s plan says to pay off the car first. Because of the amount of the mortgage I was paying way more interest on the house than on the car so we attacked that first as mathematically it saved me a ton of money and that trumped a short term win in my book .. smile

Previous to that and I was 59 when I took out the mortgage I had only been in debt twice and both those were gone in less than a year. I was allergic to debt from day 1. I was very very weird in that regard ... smile

It sounds like you have some great clients at your bank, thats awesome, thanks for sharing, it gives me hope ... thumbsup

I don’t agree that you have to have credit, it does make things easier but you can do everything w/o it. I am living proof of that. You just have to dig a little further to do it. I have no issue at all with what you did with your kids, I’m sure it has worked for you and them and that is all that really matters. Its just a different way to skin the cat than I would skiin it. As you well know the only must is spending less than you make.

Thanks for the back and forth, please reply again as its how I learn and seeing different angles is always a good thing.

Have a good day dawg!

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg

I’m not looking for a rift either. There’s more than one way to skin a cat and Daves way is not the only way but he does have a great blueprint and as u said its not a one size fits all. I have veered from Dave’s way a few times. I value your opinion and anyone else’s, I may not agree with it but I value it. I love learning and asking questions and going point, counterpoint is a great way to do it IMO. Please don’t take anything I say in here as me de-valuing you or your opinion. I would imagine your very fiscally responsible and have raised your children to be also.

I also was curious as to how much you actually knew about his plan.

Daves baby steps (BS .. smile ) are as follows:

1. 1,000 starter emergency fund .. so if your beaks go or your need new tires you don’t have to go into debt to take care of “minor” issues that arise.

2. Pay off debt ... he uses the snowball affect, more on that later. This does not include your house.

3. Fully funded emergence fund ... 3 - 6 months to pay your bills if you have a true emergency.

4. Invest 15% for retirement

5. Fund kids college

6. Pay off your mortgage

7. Live and give like no other.

You do steps 4 -6 at the same time.

So your scenario above tells me you haven’t listened to enough of his shows or read much if any about his plan. Before you start paying off your house you have all ready paid off all your other debt and have a fully funded emergency fund (you’d have money in the bank). So your scenario is not a part of Dave’s plan as you would all ready have savings before attacking your mortgage.

If you were in BS 2 the extra money at the end of the month or the bonus check would go towards your debt or if you were in BS 3 it would go to fully fund your emergency fund, once you hit BS’s 4,5 and 6 you could put it where you like.

You just outlined Dave’s plan almost to a T. He uses what he calls the snowball affect. In BS2 you list all your debt from smallest to largest regardless of interest rate. Then you pay off the smallest debt first, it give you the sense of accomplishment you spoke off and as I’m sure your aware it then gives you the monthly payment you were making on that debt to put towards your next debt and so on and so forth down the line.

This is one part of Dave’s plan that wasn’t for me. When I got married my wife brought in a 13k car loan at like 4%. I had taken out a 100k mortgage when i bought my ma a house in South Carolina. The interest rate was around 3 at the time. I owed about 60k on it after 3 years when we got married. Dave’s plan says to pay off the car first. Because of the amount of the mortgage I was paying way more interest on the house than on the car so we attacked that first as mathematically it saved me a ton of money and that trumped a short term win in my book .. smile

Previous to that and I was 59 when I took out the mortgage I had only been in debt twice and both those were gone in less than a year. I was allergic to debt from day 1. I was very very weird in that regard ... smile

It sounds like you have some great clients at your bank, thats awesome, thanks for sharing, it gives me hope ... thumbsup

I don’t agree that you have to have credit, it does make things easier but you can do everything w/o it. I am living proof of that. You just have to dig a little further to do it. I have no issue at all with what you did with your kids, I’m sure it has worked for you and them and that is all that really matters. Its just a different way to skin the cat than I would skiin it. As you well know the only must is spending less than you make.

Thanks for the back and forth, please reply again as its how I learn and seeing different angles is always a good thing.

Have a good day dawg!

You too. Again my opinions were based on a few hours of his radio show so I was not aware of his entire plan.

I was thinking after my last post of a 22 year old young man who had been unofficially told no by 4 banks. I worked numbers for a half hour after he left and suggested he take out a car loan on his paid for late model vehicle. This was the source for the remaining 10% down payment. It worked no problem.

He had used all of his funds paying his student loans off so his funds were pretty low and the other 10% was a gift from grandparents. At the time to qualify with most banks 3% of the loan amount had to be his $$.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I also think having a good emergency fund is really important. Your line about people living paycheck to paycheck and not having an emergency fund is really important... I didn't really realize how many people can't handle being off work even for a week or two until the pandemic. I worked with someone who is making over $100k a year... but when her hours were reduced by 25% she flipped out because she wasn't going to be able to pay her bills... I was floored she didn't have an emergency fund...

What amazes me is that more people weren't taught better money management from their parents as they were raised. My dad was by no means a wealthy person. But what he did was buy houses when he was very young and first got out of the military. He bought three of them and remodeled them. About seven years later he sold them to relocate in the country. He paid a huge down payment on that house in the country and totally remodeled it with cash. As a result his mortgage payment was $88 a month. He actually paid cash for every car he ever bought up until the 1990's. Even then he made a huge down payment with a low interest rate and worker cost program from Chrysler.

He had a union job and we used to go to Indian Lake with one of his friends who had a very nice boat. Another of his friends had a small aircraft we had the opportunity to fly in a few times. As a child it confused me why the people he worked with seemed to be able to afford all of these things while we could not, so I asked him about that.

He explained to me that if Chrysler went broke tomorrow these people would lose everything they had. Their homes, their cars and all of their fancy toys. Where as his only debt was an $88 dollar mortgage and he had enough money in the bank to pay our house off tomorrow.

He lived in abject poverty as a child and it's amazing what that can teach someone if they choose to learn those lessons from it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
My parents opened a checking account for each of us when we were 15 and getting our first jobs. Our checks went there to build a savings so we could buy our first cars. Mine, a 77 Corolla SR5 Liftback. It was a junker but it was mine.
When I went off to college my mom had me apply for a credit card. She gave me a stern warning to be smart. That she wouldn’t bail me out if I screwed up. She taught me the basic understanding of using credit to build credit. I was smart. I used it to buy my first stereo, and a bike to get around campus/town. I still own both those items 30 years later. The stereo is out in my outbuilding. It pumps out through two curbscore Realistic speakers from the 80’s. The bike was heavily used through my 20’s and early 30’s... and now has two flats... but it’s paid for. Lol
I had friends that screwed their credit over with credit cards in college. One had to file for bankruptcy. My best buddy. To this day his spending habits give me night sweats. I couldn’t sleep at night if I was playing the financial three card Monty he plays. Over leveraged, high interest rates, borrowing from one creditor to pay another... stuff of nightmares in my mind. I use to get into him about it. Now I just quietly, internally, shake my head. He knows I know. No reason to drive a wedge between us over his finances. But yikes!
I work 32 hours a week. Sometimes my buddies give me hell about it. They’ve made themselves wage/debt slaves. Like them I could have a boat, an RV, other toys... I could also have to work overtime to make it all work. Instead I chose to work hard to keep my monthly nut low. Even then I choose to live below my means and invest 25% of my income to my 401k. This doesn’t mean I don’t have what I need or want... I’ve just adjusted my wants to closer fit my needs. I’m an experience over objects guy. I’d rather travel than to have a motorcycle, as an example.
I sleep soundly every night knowing my only debt is my mortgage. I sleep even better knowing that if I keep focus I’ll not have that debt in a few short years.
Parents need to start the education but it’s up to us as individuals to make it work from there.

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm still not big on credit. I certainly use credit enough to keep a good standing but in most every case treat it more like a monthly bill than actual credit. When the statement comes in I pay it off. No different than receiving a utility bill. I keep enough in savings to pay off the vast majority of emergencies that may come up but one never knows. There are certainly things that can happen in life that we don't see coming and sometimes emergencies can come in bunches.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Squires

100% agree... as I said above... I like Ramsey for getting out of debt... but that's as far as it goes... to build wealth I'd look into things like Rich Dad Poor Dad, Richest Man in Babylon, or Set for Life.

Sure.

Ramsey's goal isn't to show you how to get wealthy. His goal is to get you free from debt, which is a healthy feeling.

No doubt if you have debt under control, debt in and of itself isn't a big problem, but note I said under control. The people he targets are people who have lost control.

Think about it, at least for most people the scenario goes you get your credit card with maybe a $1500-$3000 limit. You tell yourself you are going to pay it off every month.

A year later the card company is extending you more credit. Then you keep paying the minimum and get deeper in the hole.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I have a Capital One Visa with travel miles. We, my GF and I, use it for groceries, gas, and other ancillary purchases we know we can pay off at the end of the month. I’ve never paid them a cent of interest. In turn we’ve gotten thousands of dollars worth of travel. One of our tickets to Thailand a couple years back was paid for exclusively from mileage. We currently have $1300 and counting towards our next travel... we’re thinking the South Pacific for my 50th in about 18 months... COVID allowing. By then we’ll have one ticket totally covered ($1300-$1600 per) and part of the second will be covered too.
There’s ways of making it work. Like you said, you just have to treat it like any other Bill that needs paid in full each month.
If you don’t have cash for it... you shouldn’t use credit for it. (Cars and houses don’t count)

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I have a Capital One Visa with travel miles. We, my GF and I, use it for groceries, gas, and other ancillary purchases we know we can pay off at the end of the month. I’ve never paid them a cent of interest. In turn we’ve gotten thousands of dollars worth of travel. One of our tickets to Thailand a couple years back was paid for exclusively from mileage. We currently have $1300 and counting towards our next travel... we’re thinking the South Pacific for my 50th in about 18 months... COVID allowing. By then we’ll have one ticket totally covered ($1300-$1600 per) and part of the second will be covered too.
There’s ways of making it work. Like you said, you just have to treat it like any other Bill that needs paid in full each month.
If you don’t have cash for it... you shouldn’t use credit for it. (Cars and houses don’t count)

There you go. I do the same with a Marriott Visa card. We pay all of our utilities on the card to build room points. It gets paid monthly just the same as we would pay the bill if not using the card.

Occasionally I will take a larger expense and go ahead and spread it out over a few months...such as hotels and airline tickets on a vacation or what not.. Sometimes it makes some sense to go ahead and use their money for a couple of months.

Sounds like you have control and a plan. As long as we have that, using other peoples money now and then doesn't hurt anything.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:

You are correct but you are talking about a 300 level finance course and Dave Ramsey is largely talking to freshmen level people.. most of them are in such bad financial situations that they aren't getting loans at 3% and don't know how to invest money to safely earn more than 3%..

There are exceptions to the rule where making other people's money work for you is a good idea.. but in general, for most of Dave Ramsey's audience, simply getting out of debt is a worthy goal.

The part of Dave Ramsey's class that most people struggle with is giving the first 10% to charity.. even if you are in debt, even if you are struggling to get by, even if it means you miss a credit card payment.. the first 10% always goes to your church or some other charity.. that's hard for a lot of people who are struggling to swallow.

yebat' Putin
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm still not big on credit. I certainly use credit enough to keep a good standing but in most every case treat it more like a monthly bill than actual credit. When the statement comes in I pay it off. No different than receiving a utility bill. I keep enough in savings to pay off the vast majority of emergencies that may come up but one never knows. There are certainly things that can happen in life that we don't see coming and sometimes emergencies can come in bunches.

Yeah, I think one fundamental rule is to always make sure you pay off credit cards.

I know that Ramsey's method is pretty much fool proof if you can stay disciplined and follow it, which I know is often easier said than done. However, I do depart from his methodology when it comes to credit cards.

One thing that has kind of stuck with me is when I read that people who pay with cash are subsidizing those who pay with credit cards. This means that there are usually swipe fees associated with each transaction that turns into a built-in overhead expense for the business that gets rolled into the product prices. People who use credit cards, often do so for the points and/or receive something back from the transaction while people who use cash don't. Now, the flipside to that is that I would imagine people who actually separate out their cash piles and budgets are - on the whole - far more disciplined and run into far less trouble than credit card users.

Like you, all my credit card balances get paid in full every month. I do prefer to use travel credit cards because I'm a travel junkie (outside of this past year). I accumulate the points and it's almost a passive way of saving for a family trip. If I used a cash-back card, I imagine the cash would somehow get sucked into a home project or something of that nature.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
There are many form of rewards offered with credit cards. Finding those that have no annual fees and offer such rewards is like charging them for the use of your credit card if you pay it off every month which costs you zero interest. To not take advantage of that would be crazy.

#gmstrong
Y
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Y

The part of Dave Ramsey's class that most people struggle with is giving the first 10% to charity.. even if you are in debt, even if you are struggling to get by, even if it means you miss a credit card payment.. the first 10% always goes to your church or some other charity.. that's hard for a lot of people who are struggling to swallow.

That's my biggest issue with it. He wants you to cut off savings/retirement while you're paying off debt but wants you to give to charity? Seems illogical to me.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I agree... like I said above I really like Dave Ramsey and think he has a great place in the financial world (obviously)... but if someone is able to get themselves out of debt... then I hope that they continue on their financial journey and learn how to build wealth...

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YepTheBrownsRule

That's my biggest issue with it. He wants you to cut off savings/retirement while you're paying off debt but wants you to give to charity? Seems illogical to me.

I also never liked the flat 10% rule/tithe... I would hope that people would want to give to charity and others... but if you can only give 2% that's still better than nothing... no sense in guilting someone who isn't giving 10%....

I also struggle a bit stopping investing to pay off debt... it's not that simple... if I have. school loan at 3%.... why would I not continue to invest in the stock market that is returning 8%?? or maybe I can pay the minimum on my debt and save up for a downpayment on a rental that will help me pay my debt faster in the long run.

If I have credit card debt at 13% I want to pay that sucker off... but I would still invest if I'm getting better returns on my money than the debt percentage...

<><

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Dave Ramsey: Financial Peace U

Link Copied to Clipboard