OP Online
Legend
M

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Here are most interesting tidbits from the video (I almost got through the whole thing....

1. Baker played well
2. Garrett picked up another injury this past Sunday, gutted through the game, won't need surgery over the offseason
3. More speed on defense is good
4. They're evaluating the team and individuals soon

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Legend
Legend
D
Andrew Berry will be on 92.3 FM with Ken Carmen and Anthony Lima tomorrow at 8am. Out of towners can listen here:

https://www.radio.com/923thefan/listen

Also - Kevin Stefanski will appear at the same site tomorrow at 4pm on the Bull & Fox show.

Last edited by Dave; 01/20/21 05:23 PM.
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Here are most interesting tidbits from the video (I almost got through the whole thing....

1. Baker played well
2. Garrett picked up another injury this past Sunday, gutted through the game, won't need surgery over the offseason
3. More speed on defense is good
4. They're evaluating the team and individuals soon

To follow up on each point:

1. I think Berry thought he did more than well. The writers were probing a bit as it relates to his contract, but I feel like he used "extremely pleased". Baker is in the plans unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

2. Garrett is one of my favorite players. But I cannot shy away from his injuries. Perhaps his covid dilemma has unfairly increased this concern, but he has had his fair share so far.

3. I think he said more speed everywhere is important.

4. Yup.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought it was a very boring press conference, even relative to press conferences.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
I thought it was a very boring press conference, even relative to press conferences.

At the end of a season without any significant coach or regime changes, calls for Jimmy to sell the team, or questions about a top 10 pick.....I"ll take boring tongue .

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

At the end of a season without any significant coach or regime changes, calls for Jimmy to sell the team, or questions about a top 10 pick.....I"ll take boring tongue .

Boring is beautiful.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

Boring is beautiful.

I was worried we might fire the coach and the GM just out of habit.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Baker is in the plans unless they get an offer they can't refuse.

I don't think that offer exists.

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
OP Online
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Not saying I would agree with this or want it to happen but I have to think many teams, including the Browns, would kick the tires on the cost of Watson.

Due diligence as it's always said.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

What about Patrick Mahomes and the Chiefs 1st round pick for the next 5 years for Baker?
tongue

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Boring is beautiful.

Amen. Not to get political but on so many levels I look forward to just boring ol’ getting business done. If I’m happy about anything this season and year it’s the real hope not living in a constant churning maelstrom of drama and chaos. Give me boring please.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend

Andrew Berry couldn't afford to let the disappointment from the Browns' season-ending loss Sunday to the Kansas City Chiefs linger too long.

Berry, Cleveland's GM and EVP of Football Operations, admitted he needed a few days to digest the result from the AFC Divisional round that knocked the Browns out of their first playoff visit in 18 years. Everyone on the Browns did, too, after a season full of triumphs not experienced by the franchise in decades came to a close.

But Berry's focus is now fully turned to getting the Browns back to that game — and the final two games after that — next season. With the offseason arriving in Cleveland, Berry and his crew of assistants and scouts will be back in the spotlight to re-equip the roster with even more talent.

"Over these next couple weeks, we're going to go through a full self-assessment," Berry said. "Not just with the roster, but with football operations, schemes — you name it — to make sure we have a really good beat in terms of our planning entering the offseason."

In his first offseason as a general manager last year, Berry never specifically speculated on which positions and areas of the team he was looking to improve the most. He always believed every position could be improved, and he was steadfast on never tipping his hand about which positions, if any, he was specifically targeting most.

That approach won't change this offseason, either. Berry reiterated he was truly looking for ways to improve every spot on the 2021 team. He doesn't want to feel complacent about any of the current areas of strength on the Browns, and he doesn't want to over-analyze any portion of the team that may be viewed as a weakness.

"We can have improvement anywhere," Berry said. "It's probably too early to make any declarative or definitive statements, but we certainly understand the strengths and weaknesses."

Berry did, however, acknowledge that the team's biggest moves last offseason came on the offense. His two big-ticket free agent signings in tight end Austin Hooper, who caught four touchdowns in his first season in Cleveland, and right tackle Jack Conklin, who was named to multiple All-NFL teams, were difference-makers for the efficiency of the Browns' offense, which shined in both the run and pass departments and finished 14th overall in the NFL.

Berry said the Browns certainly will look to improve the defense this offseason, but he won't compare their efforts in boosting that side of the ball to last offseason. The Browns finished 21st in the league defensively and have several players who are set to become unrestricted free agents March 17, when free agency begins under the new league year.

"I think it's a fair observation to realize that the resources that we had this past year going into this past fall were predominantly oriented to support the offense and support the quarterback," Berry said. "But that doesn't mean we didn't make some investments all across the team. We certainly think we can boost the defense going into 2021."

So how will Berry evaluate external resources and players to potentially add? The logistics of how the NFL will uphold or change its usual offseason schedule are still uncertain due to the COVID-19 pandemic, but Berry doesn't believe any changes will affect the Browns' preparations for the 2021 draft class or future free agents.

Berry, as well as the rest of the NFL, were informed of one major change to the schedule: The scouting combine will not contain in-person workouts, which instead will only take place at college pro days, and all interviews and psychological testing will be virtual and there will be limited in-person medical exams.

Just because some of college football's best draft prospects won't be together in Indianapolis for a normal combine doesn't mean Berry and the Browns won't be prepared.

"I don't really see that as an impediment," Berry said. "We went through a whole spring where it was going to be virtual, really on-the-fly mid-process. At this point, all of us know how to use Zoom and FaceTime. We did a ton of player virtual interviews last spring, and it seems like that will continue into this year. I don't see any reason that we can't work through the spring again and have a nice process in place and have a high quality draft."

The Browns proved this season they can be successful despite working primarily in virtual settings, and that included the front office. They're prepared for a second virtual offseason should those circumstances be necessary but are looking forward to when the league can resume normal offseason procedures.

No matter how the next eight months will look, Berry and his crew will be ready to improve the team and position the Browns for another run to the playoffs.

"We feel like we're in a good spot as we enter the new year," he said. "We still have a long way to go in terms of our planning and getting with our coaching staff once they have a little time to relax a little bit, but we're in a good rhythm. We'll be ready to go."

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I was worried we might fire the coach and the GM just out of habit.

Old habits die hard.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Yippee Ki Yay

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Legend
Legend

Because of the financial impact of covid the future is a bit cloudy.

The owners and NFLPA will have some tough decisions to make. It sure throws a crimp into planning.

Baker extension or new contract. Of course he is the guy. Berry, Stefanski, Haslam, the staff all love the guy.

But the cap will be affected.
There are a number of FA on the team like Higgins who they will have to make decisions on.

This off season will be a real challenge for Berry.

We are close. Delpit, Greedy, Odell will be counted on. They are expected to make full recoveries.

Vernon? He played well but his contract and age are compounded by injury.

Free agency in general across all the teams will be interesting to pay attention to.

We should be in the market for two or three key adds.

We have a good team. It feels great to know that we will have continuity. So important to have Berry and Kevin on the same page.

Camp and the coming season will be so refreshing to start with everything in place. Build on to. Not starting anew.

It will be a long wait. This year was so much fun.

E
Legend
Legend
E
With OBJ coming back and the development of Hodges I'm not sure we will go much on bringing Higgins back unless he accepts a cap friendly contract but I would assume he will take as much as he can get from another team. I don't blame him at all. But I don't see us offering much.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think Higgins is imperative to bring back. Baker has and will continue to have a strong connection with him, and so long as Higgins isn't dropping passes like crazy or is obviously at a physical disadvantage vs defenders, I think we should do everything we can to keep him in Cleveland.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Some good points bone. Higgins might be a thanks, but no thanks.

Not because he isn't a decent player, but we have other players to consider. Higgins is facing OBJ returning, and frankly, finding decent wide receivers isn't all that hard.

We have Hodge, and DPJ who look to be pretty solid, and the draft is always full of receivers all the way down the draft board who have a Higgins skill set.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I am a little torn on this ... I think Higgins will be back, I think we will pay him a lot more than this year maybe in the $1.5-2.2 million per year range, but he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

If OBJ had trade value - he doesn't - I'd be tempted to try to run with Jarvis and Higgins and a pure burner while shipping OBJ. Then DPJ and others. I don't see OBJ as a burner - I see him as a playmaker with RAC ability (hopefully back to an elite level), and I think we are more in need of *speed* to consistently threaten to take the top off (Like Perriman did when he had his breakout year here).

Anyway - we have a whole off season to figure all this out.

I heard what Berry said about Baker - and I really liked that he felt the contract discussions were a personal thing between Browns and Baker and Baker's agent.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I am a little torn on this ... I think Higgins will be back, I think we will pay him a lot more than this year maybe in the $1.5-2.2 - maybe up to $4 million per year range, but he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

If OBJ had trade value - he doesn't - I'd be tempted to try to run with Jarvis and Higgins and a pure burner while shipping OBJ. Then DPJ and others. I don't see OBJ as a burner - I see him as a playmaker with RAC ability (hopefully back to an elite level), and I think we are more in need of *speed* to consistently threaten to take the top off (Like Perriman did when he had his breakout year here).

I heard what Berry said about Baker - and I really liked that he felt the contract discussions were a personal thing between Browns and Baker and Baker's agent.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
It sounds like Andrew Berry knows what he is doing. Finally, a GM that knows how to run things. thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O
With how Higgins started the season on the sidelines, and then came in and picked up where he left off with Baker, I see Higgins situation as independent from OBJ. Higgins performs in games and works well w/ Baker... enough said (imo).
I'm curious to see how the offense looks when OBJ is back (do we see it get bogged down and a less successful like up until he got injured, or were our earlier struggles simply everyone learning the O on the fly and struggling to get into a groove (which they eventually did)).

-PrplPplEater
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I don't think we will actively pursue trading OBJ but I believe we will be approached about his availability. If we get a good offer we may then consider moving him. JMO

Legend
Legend

Higgins is in a rough spot.

Odell is on the team and will remain. Frankly we need his deep threat.

Jarvis is going nowhere. Two guys with big contracts.

We have Hodges who is cheap and has speed. DPJ had a good rookie year and will get better.

Derrick Willies is 6'4" with speed and they like him. He has had a roster spot for two years. He was hurt. He has promise.

Higgins was cheap. He will want market value. Most likely he will sign somewhere for more than we would want to pay.
Nothing against him is just how time and contracts work.

Same goes for Ogunjobi. He will want a decent size contract. That we can not afford for a rotational guy who really does not fit this scheme. Sheldon has another year.
There will be other options at that position.

I am not sure how Woods wants to roll at DT. Richardson is a good starter. Dependable, available, penetrates and plays the run.

Not sure if Woods wants the other tackle to act like a nose tackle and play gap protection. Or, another guy like Richardson who can penetrate and rush. Some of that depends on the linebackers role.

Woods favors three safety's and two linebackers. So the linebackers have to be versatile. They need to play sideline to sideline and play run support.

My guess is they will sign a FA FS. Delpit, Harrison and a new guy.

Goodson and Smith are probably gone from one year deals.

Taki, Phillips, and *Wilson who fell out of favor.

Not sure how Berry will handle linebacker. Phillips was a Berry pick. He has needed speed. Taki and Wilson? Not Berry picks.

I like the idea of three safety's. That adds speed. But then the linebackers must be special. Real good athletes who can cover, play sideline to sideline and be strong enough to shed blockers and play run gaps.

If this defense is going to be good we need to be better inside the hashmarks in coverage and run support.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I Agree on your summation - but I also agree with oober and that there is a factor/facet that is in addition to what you stated ... and that is the undeniable chemistry Higgins and Baker have.

C
Legend
Legend
C

This was not as good as I had hoped it would be.

Legend
Legend

No doubt about that chemistry.

But I think Higgins becomes a cash casualty.

The economics don't fit.

We are stacked on offense.

This off season is all about defense. Woods, Kevin and Berry will spend a lot of time on looking at the big picture.

Myles, Ward, Delpit, Greedy, Phillips, Elliot are the young core players.

Free agency is complicated with covid cap dollars.

However, I do believe two key guys will be added.

The draft is important however all players coming in from the draft are really still in a development stage.

Not to many rookies come in and make a big impact right away. You hope to get some contributions from the first three rounds.

So free agency will be real important.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I am a little torn on this ... I think Higgins will be back, I think we will pay him a lot more than this year maybe in the $1.5-2.2 million per year range, but he's 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

I mostly agree with your points. The only part that doesn't make sense to me is if speed is what we need most, OBJ is faster than Higgy. I don't have any speed numbers in front of me, but Higgy might be the slowest receiver we have.

Don't get me wrong. I don't really want to get rid of him, but from a cost stand point and a skills standpoint, IMO he is probably the odd man out.

Like you said, the off season allows time to make those decisions. We have about a month to decide on if we look to sign Higgins back.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
OBJ is definately faster than Higgins ... but OBJ is not (in my eye) a downfield vertical threat. I think of Perriman who basically ran a streak/go route every time he caught the ball. Maybe a post route thrown in depending on what the safeties did... he caught balls based on speed and adjustment in the air - which is something I'd like to see as an option/threat. I guess the one deep ball vs KC to DPJ was what I am thinking of. To my mind OBJ gets separation off the line, can make you miss and is twitchy fast, but not someone to win contested catches on streaks.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought OBJ was the entire package. He has speed (both straight-line and twitchy), great hands, runs good routes. He can pretty much do whatever you would ask of a receiver (and he's supposedly a more than adequate blocker).

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Go back and listen almost every game Higgy played in ; Announcers he is not fast , sloppy routes , hair is to long , lazy hips , ect ,ect and then ( wait for it ) All he does is get open and catch the ball for Baker

You will have to excuse me but but talent that cant stay on the field doesn't help my Team either.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess

Boring is beautiful.

Amen. Not to get political but on so many levels I look forward to just boring ol’ getting business done. If I’m happy about anything this season and year it’s the real hope not living in a constant churning maelstrom of drama and chaos. Give me boring please.

excellent use of the word "maelstrom". Though some grammar police might consider "churning maelstrom" to be a bit redundant.

tongue

yebat' Putin
M
Legend
Legend
M
You could well be right that he is the total package... for whatever reason I haven't seen the vertical threat component while he's been a Brown ... to me it's run and catch. But you could easily be correct.

Legend
Legend

I don't think we have seen the best of Odell.

He has speed he ran a 4.43 at the combine. He is a rare talent.

This was a new offense just starting. He had some flashes and then was injured. I think it was more coincidence that Baker was getting comfortable in the offense and so was Odell went he got hurt. Then the reaction that we were better without him. This coming season I am hoping that we will see him make major contributions.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Higgins is a MUST sign.

This kid is not elite, but he is a baller!

Of course, he and Baker have great chemistry.

H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We do need OBJ deep threat, or someones. Don't forget we have That Marvin Hall we picked up from Detroit and I believe he's faster than OBJ. But can he catch?

E
Legend
Legend
E
Don't forget we will probably invest more in TE than WR.

I said he was done but I thought in the 2nd half of the season Njoku did an outstanding job - he actually became a very good blocker as the season progressed. I hope he's a KEEPER.

I can see us making another investment at TE in FA or draft.

But this is another reason I think Higgins value goes down for our future. Don't get me wrong, love the kid and his effort with the team. He became a reliable guy to go to. I just think OBJ will take so much of his reps and Hodges has been a favorite of every WR coach we have had and this year I think he turned to corner to dependable NFL WR.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

I agree.

I had given almost up on Njoku. In the first half of the season I remember watching Njoku trying to block. The worst most pathetic attempts I have ever seen at blocking from a professional player.

However towards the end of the season. He actually was making a real effort and not doing to bad.

I like Higgins. Unfortunately IMO he will become a victim of cheaper options with equal or greater skills.

Kind of the way things work.

Legend
Legend
AB needs to sign baker mayfield to an extension early to save money.

Around 42 a year on a 5/6 year extension should be fine.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Andrew Berry End of Season Press Conference

Link Copied to Clipboard