Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
B
Legend
Legend
B
That is the key, if the price is right.

We wouldn't be getting a defensive MVP. We would be getting a Vernon replacement player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Dave
Who are you thinking of that's better than Dupree at rushing the passer? The ACL injury is a concern, but he *should* be able to play next season, plus you would think that the injury reduces the price.

Ngakoue
Okwara
Leonard Williams
Duane Smoot
Carl Lawson
Haason Reddick

All younger and as productive or moreso.
Don't get me wrong, at 28 yrs old, he wouldn't be bad at all, but he will command a much bigger price, too.

Have to add Trey Hendrickson to that list. I am biased as I wanted to draft him coming out, mind.

Legend
Legend

Carl Lawson if we can get him is a guy I would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cia0vXlxO7M

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

ICYMI: The #Browns are talking to former #Texans' J.J. Watt's camp about signing him, source tells clevelanddotcom

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/the-browns-have-called-about-jj-watt-source-says.html

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
I am excited about getting MG some help that might benefit him and the pickup player. Shredding some more cap might be huge for a great FA year. Just interesting development. Let us throw the character issue out there as well. I think the community here would love the man. He is older now, but I have no question about his motor at all. This will, I believe, improve MG who had to come out, and our secondary gets better on pass defense. brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Carl Lawson if we can get him is a guy I would like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cia0vXlxO7M

Lawson is the guy that would potentially bring our defensive line to a new level (above where it was with Vernon).

Legend
Legend

Lawson is only 25. He has a great future. He has been very productive in hurries and pressure.

His sacks aren't at high 5.5 but that hardly tells the story. He was seventh in sacks created.

He is great against the run and with Garrett on the other side his sack rate will be 10 to 15.

In addition he will not be real expensive.

I like this guy a lot.

Legend
Legend
I like the idea of Lawson too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
My guess is that he gets paid a healthy amount more than most would expect.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave
Who are you thinking of that's better than Dupree at rushing the passer? The ACL injury is a concern, but he *should* be able to play next season, plus you would think that the injury reduces the price.

Ngakoue - Great pass rusher but not much else, grades poorly in tackling and run stopping.
Okwara - Decent player but hadn't really done much until this year.
Leonard Williams - Good player for a DT not really a 4-3 DE. He could play it but don't expect a big sack total.
Duane Smoot - Backup player at best, only a fair pass rusher and not much else.
Carl Lawson - Good player, sack totals aren't that high but gets lots of pressure and good all around.
Haason Reddick - Way to small to play DE and was considered a bust until this year.

All younger and as productive or moreso.
Don't get me wrong, at 28 yrs old, he wouldn't be bad at all, but he will command a much bigger price, too.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
My guess is that he gets paid a healthy amount more than most would expect.

AKA..the free agency factor.

Although, this year might be different. For a at least a decade+, free agency has always been followed up by an significant increase in the cap. This year, most likely, that won't be the case.

It will be interesting to follow the economics of the NFL after Covid 2020.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Can you say franchised.

Legend
Legend

That’s a $14.895 million bill if the Bengals hit William Jackson with the tag or $14.53 million if they do the same for Carl Lawson.

We will see if Mike Brown will shell out that amount?

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Re: JJ Watt

I'd say it's really between us and Green Bay as far as nailing down Watt's services.

I think whomever we put opposite Garrett could have a monster year. Depth is good. If sign Watt and still draft a DE in the first round assuming BPA.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
j/c:

ICYMI: The #Browns are talking to former #Texans' J.J. Watt's camp about signing him, source tells clevelanddotcom

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/02/the-browns-have-called-about-jj-watt-source-says.html

I don't think it's going to happen. I just have that image of the three Watts hanging out prior to the last Pitt-Houston game burned into my memory. I think he'll use the interest to drive up price (though, that might not work to well to getting into Pitt).

That said, I think we could justify overpaying somewhat for someone like Watt so long as we have a young'in identified that we have to spell him as well as take his spot once his short(er) contract is up. We currently don't have that person on the roster (Captain Obvious here, pointing out the problem requiring us to bring in a Watt). Since getting someone that even has a shot of coming in and locking down the starting position is generally only had in the top of the first round, I think going after a raw, high-upside guy to pair with Watt would be the best move. Keep in mind, this is a guy that's going to be playing opposite Garrett. We don't need to hold out for a world-beater. Solid if unspectacular should be able to get the job done.

I think the defensive side, culturally, definitely has some room for a Watt. While our locker room has improved by leaps and bounds, I don't think we're as solid as we need to be, in terms of attitude. He'd help to continue with that improvement as we're asserting our playoff effort.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

Given the complete picture in Pittsburgh and the recent news of Pouncey retiring.

I wonder if Ben is thinking about retiring as well?

The Steelers are over cap by $30m. However, with Pouncey retiring and some creative financing they could cut that number down.

However, signing free agents will be difficult.

Ben may have second thoughts about playing in 21.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think Curtis Weaver has a shot at being a very decent rotational DE. I think he was likened to Derek Barnett IIRC. He does everything decently but isn't the explosive guy Myles is.

Saying that, I still want Hendrickson. I'd like us to be able to measure snaps for the starting pair of horses so we can still get after it late in games. If you have a decent set of rotational guys - Clayborn did a very decent job, Gustin is a high effort guy - then that helps. I think there is some potential for a rotational rusher in the mid rounds of the draft at edge.

Last edited by drobs; 02/15/21 02:22 PM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...
JJ Watt AT THE RIGHT PRICE would be the perfect fit here.

He is 31 and has probably a good 4 years left in him especially at a rotational program that we would be able to place him in.

We are a young team ready to make that move to SB runs every year regardless of the tough division we are in.

Throughout his career he has been the guy that teams would game plan for and made sure they double and even triple teamed him. With Garrett and Richardson on the same DL that would be impossible to do.

IF Houston is making wholesale moves to create Cap Space and a RE DO situation. It will not take much to make a trade.

Again the key is at the right price. We should be his first choice of a team to join and get his Lombardi Trophy.

Its not quite on the Reggie White Level but actually is closer than most think.

jmho that would be a key PIECE OF THE PUZZLE to becoming a Championship Team!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
With as violent as he plays and his injury history I’d say 2 potentially good years and maybe a year or two of just hanging on. And I doubt anyone gets 16 game regular season games out of him. More like 10-12. JMHO.

Thing that sticks in my mind that our defense needs, more than anything else, is speed. We’re slow as a group overall. Our first and foremost obstacle to playoffs any given year is going to be catching a running Jackson. Burrows is also an under rated scrambler. You guys know the non-Browns players better than I do so I won’t challenge anyone’s suggestions but I hope the first adjective used for any player we pick up on D is fast or quick. Line stuffers are good of course but we get killed by speed.

Last edited by 10YrOvernightSuccess; 02/16/21 11:25 AM.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
He has a old body IMO. He probably doesn't have 4 good years.

Maybe 2. I would offer him a 2 year deal with a 3rd year team option.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

This could also be his team creating a larger market/ increased demand to drive up price. I'm not saying the Browns aren't interested, but you never know what that interest level could be.

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
How much money do people think Watt is going to get?

M
Legend
Legend
M

Not sure, but we allegedly were willing to give Clowney a significant 1-year deal. Not sure what that means in comparison to Watt, but it's some sort of precedence for a pass rusher. I think Berry and the FO, if truly interested in Watt, would prefer a one-year deal considering age, injury history, and the ability for him to come off the books in 2022 to mitigate any cap risk.

If Watt were to sign a siginfcant deal that cost us a decent chunk of change in 2021, I think there would be some subsequent moves with current guys that are making a lot of money.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B

This could also be his team creating a larger market/ increased demand to drive up price. I'm not saying the Browns aren't interested, but you never know what that interest level could be.

I am not sure what you are talking about. Houston has already released him, so they can't drive anything up.

Are you talking about some other team?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M

I am not sure what you are talking about. Houston has already released him, so they can't drive anything up.

Are you talking about some other team?

Yes, other teams. If Watt and his team (agent, really) drive up the narrative that other teams are seriously interested, then the price possibly goes up.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B

I have no idea. I don't try to pretend I have a grasp on what going rates might be.

Until the cap is set, the teams might not have a good idea.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
There are definitely going to be some quality cheap veterans available this off-season.

I don’t know if Kawann Short is one of those players. He’s 32 and has played five games the last two years.

Legend
Legend
Short is a little older than our FO probably wants to sign. But not a bad short term option for our DL

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
He’s 32 and has played five games the last two years.

I'd be surprised if anyone gives him more than a one year deal.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Short is a little older than our FO probably wants to sign. But not a bad short term option for our DL

He’s a minimum contract guy at this point. Anything more than the minimum would be a reach.

Legend
Legend
He's not for us. We need a solution alongside Richardson that is at least as good as Richardson. We already have Billings for depth/rotation, we don't need a minimum contract guy.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
2 years should give us time to bring in a develop a young'in that can then try to make the jump into a starting role.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
The ever-slow trickle of released vets...

Let's see...Von Miller? Carlos Dunlap?? Brandon Graham?? Probably Preston Smith. Either Addison or Hughes out off Buffalo. Jurrell Casey?? All thee little Cincinnati birds still chirping about possible Geno Atkins...

Heck, those are just possible front 4 guys

willynilly

Going to be a ride.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
C
Legend
Legend
C
He's not for us. We need a solution alongside Richardson that is at least as good as Richardson. We already have Billings for depth/rotation, we don't need a minimum contract guy.

If he signs for the minimum then it doesn’t matter at all. The contract would not be consequential so if it doesn’t work out we could cut him and/or we could continue to build as normal.

B
Legend
Legend
B

If he signs for the minimum then it doesn’t matter at all. The contract would not be consequential so if it doesn’t work out we could cut him and/or we could continue to build as normal.

It could be consequential. When you start pinching millions, that money spent might be the difference between signing someone of consequence and not.

I agree it probably wouldn't, but you never know.

It doesn't matter. A player like that isn't going to be a first wave signing. He's a left over.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
All Pro
All Pro
Maybe if we sign Short he'll get injured instead of Ward, Delpit, Greedy and whoever our next defensive end is smile

Y'all know if we don't have defensive starters missing at least a combined 40 games it ain't a Cleveland Browns' season.

Short and Malik Hooker could combine to take care of 30 of those leaving the rest of the team surprisingly healthy. Just sayin'

Cthulhu needs his tribute.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
C
Legend
Legend
C

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Has Old Big Ben been released yet? brownie

Find what you love and let it kill you.

-Charles Bukowski
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10