Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
All Pro
All Pro
If he has another good year it will be 30+, not 20. The question will be is he willing to take 32 million/year or hold out for $37+.

20 million is Teddy Bridgewater territory.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: teedub
I know the NFL is business and players will make their money when they can...but thinking about the QB situation across the league...when is enough $$$ enough...$20 million a year goes along long way...at what point do $30million QBs cut their own nose off despite their face? Is Baker greedy or is he really a team player that understands his success will come multiple times over as a $20 million man as opposed to being the highest paid....I kinda feel Baker is the type of player that would choose success at the expense of a few more bucks in his wallet.

Sorry tee, that is naive thinking.

I don't care how much money you make, 99% of people are always willing to make more.

To take from a country song a few years back, having too much money is like having too much fun. It can't be done.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Isn't that the truth!!

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: teedub
I know the NFL is business and players will make their money when they can...but thinking about the QB situation across the league...when is enough $$$ enough...$20 million a year goes along long way...at what point do $30million QBs cut their own nose off despite their face? Is Baker greedy or is he really a team player that understands his success will come multiple times over as a $20 million man as opposed to being the highest paid....I kinda feel Baker is the type of player that would choose success at the expense of a few more bucks in his wallet.

This is why players have agents. You can't let your "feelings" keep you from millions. Hunt told his agent to get the deal done and took less than his agent was after to be in Cleveland. I get why he did it, hometown and all, but this is very rare.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Actually, studies show that's not the case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/26/how-your...-happiness.html

I know everyone is different, and most don't think of it like that.

Last edited by mgh888; 02/18/21 11:32 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Actually, studies show that's not the case.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/05/26/how-your...-happiness.html

I know everyone is different, and most don't think of it like that.

I have seen those studies. People probably say that and mean that. No doubt money can't replace loved ones and mental security.

Having more money doesn't make one unhappier. As someone said, money can't buy happiness, but it does buy things that can make you happy.

Also, how old are the people in the study? I didn't read all of the article.

Age has a way of mellowing people. It gives people time to gain a different perspective. If the same questions were asked by various age groups, the answers would be very different. Your 20's and 30's are positioning years. People are eager to be in a position to advance as much as possible.
People don't usually turn down promotions as an example when they are 28 years old. By the time they hit their late 40's, early 50's, they are settled in where and who they are, so taking a promotion and unrooting the family takes a bigger portion of their thought process.

At that point they are in a better position to determine if they are happy and satisfied with what they make. They can look at their retirement fund and tell if they have a secure future or not. At 26, they are still eager to see how far life can take them.

The amount of money a person makes doesn't change that thinking all that much. It's easy for us normal people who aren't talking about salaries in the millions to say that is enough.

To us it seems that way. When you are there, it doesn't seem like enough. A basic fact that applies to all of us, no matter your income level, the more you make, the more you spend.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

The blueprint.....origin 2016.

Not just DePo's creation though.

Tackles are tackles.
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt. It was a collaborative effort by all involved at the time. He was the one charged by the owner to come up with the team guidelines.

I am sure Sashi and Berry were involved.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No doubt. It was a collaborative effort by all involved at the time. He was the one charged by the owner to come up with the team guidelines.

I am sure Sashi and Berry were involved.

Like Depo keeps saying, and people keep discounting - he creates processes and structures. This is a prime example.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
bUtT hE lIvEz iN SaNdY A gO !!!!

Tackles are tackles.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I have a lot of things I could say about this that I've already said many times. I just have to accept that some people wish to remain ignorant about the process and how we got here and who was actually involved in getting us here.

Legend
Legend

"I don't love the mountains
I don't love the sea
I don't love Jesus
He never done a thing for me
I ain't pretty like my sister
Or smart like my dad
Or good like my mama
It's money that I love
It's money that I love

They say that's money
Can't buy love in this world
But it'll get you a half-pound of cocaine
And a sixteen-year-old girl
And a great big long limousine
On a hot September night
Now that may not be love but it feels all right

One, two
It's money that I love
Want to kiss you three, four
It's money that I love

Used to worry about the poor
But I don't worry anymore
Used to worry about the black man
Now, I don't worry about the black man
Used to worry
'Bout the starving children of India
You know what I say now about the starving children of India
I say, oh mama
It's money that I love"

Legend
Legend

When is enough?

When they say "you don't get anymore."

If they are giving; people will take it.

JJ is at that point where maybe he would take a little less to win a championship.

But he will not take way less.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
bUtT hE lIvEz iN SaNdY A gO !!!!

It is pronounced "San Dee-AH-go"

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

After one good season some people try to label certain people as God's. Hilarious.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Pdawg

Woopty diddly do.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

"I don't love the mountains
I don't love the sea
I don't love Jesus
He never done a thing for me
I ain't pretty like my sister
Or smart like my dad
Or good like my mama
It's money that I love
It's money that I love

They say that's money
Can't buy love in this world
But it'll get you a half-pound of cocaine
And a sixteen-year-old girl
And a great big long limousine
On a hot September night
Now that may not be love but it feels all right

One, two
It's money that I love
Want to kiss you three, four
It's money that I love

Used to worry about the poor
But I don't worry anymore
Used to worry about the black man
Now, I don't worry about the black man
Used to worry
'Bout the starving children of India
You know what I say now about the starving children of India
I say, oh mama
It's money that I love"

The Holy Bible says; The love of money, is the root of all various kinds of evil.

All Pro
All Pro
A bit odd.

What did he have some random 100k roster bonus on his previous contract or something?

For it to have happened so quickly after the release, I'm assuming there is at least a chance for cap savings or at least saving the owners a bonus check.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Opinion ... If he makes the roster cuts this coming season , where in trouble .lol

Legend
Legend

It's a song by Randy Newman.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: RedBaron
A bit odd.

What did he have some random 100k roster bonus on his previous contract or something?

For it to have happened so quickly after the release, I'm assuming there is at least a chance for cap savings or at least saving the owners a bonus check.

I'm guessing they offered more money, but not guaranteed as they're hoping to either replace him or he shows drastic improvement, which they think he's capable of but he isn't guaranteed to achieve.

But, yeah, it is kind of strange.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Opinion ... If he makes the roster cuts this coming season , where in trouble .lol

I don't know. maybe, maybe not. Many times bottom of the roster guys don't shine enough to allow us fans to see the contributions made, but coaches can by watching tape.

The guy may be excellent on special teams as an example. Being excellent doesn't mean he is the guy who makes the tackle. Maybe his assigned lane is never clear for a runner and forces him in to another lane to be tackled.

The cut was to clear his contract and once he cleared waivers it allowed us to get him in to a more favorable contract.

All that said, he still may not make the team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c regarding Robert Jackson:

He's a developmental guy from a non-football school in UNLV. He's 6'2" 207 lbs and has stuck on our roster - mostly as a PS guy - since 20018. The coaches clearly like something about the guy...including the last two D coaches...and at 6'2" #207 is the size corner that we need to combat the WRs in our division...but he is 27 right now. His window is right now.

He wasn't a world-beater when pressed into live action...but he wasn't god-awful either. That's what a developmental guy looks like when he's...well...developing. Frankly, I was surprised when they cut him...not that they DID cut him...but the timing.

If he's our LAST DB? Ok. If he's a regular active on gameday? Not ok (yet).

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I don't know, man. I think he was toast in a lot of games. I'm pretty sure our second-to-last game against the Steelers (with Rudolph starting), their passing game plan looked like it had two plays: 1) Lob it up to Claypool or 2) throw it to whoever Jackson was covering. And it worked pretty well.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

AUDIO: Daryl Ruiter: The Browns will pick up Baker’s 5th year option and sign free agents before they try to extend Mayfield

https://www.radio.com/923thefan/sports/c...5th-year-option

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Try him at Safety maybe .

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
I don't know, man. I think he was toast in a lot of games. I'm pretty sure our second-to-last game against the Steelers (with Rudolph starting), their passing game plan looked like it had two plays: 1) Lob it up to Claypool or 2) throw it to whoever Jackson was covering. And it worked pretty well.

I think I saw that as well at times...I'm just saying he's a developmental guy who survived two defensive coaching staffs...there is possibly...maybe...something there.

I also suspect that he would not have come off the PS in 2020 if it weren't for injuries and/or if AJ Green was the bag of chips he appeared to be as a UDFA high $ signing. I think he looks/looked a lot like the last DB that he was/is.

Legend
Legend

Does anyone have current information on the recovery status of Grant Delpit and Greedy?

I can not find a thing other than KS saying he expects both to fully recover.

Nerve damage and Achilles injuries are not run of the mill. Both can have long lasting issues. They are not automatic recovery times. Each case can be different.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't expect either to fully recover.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

thanks.

Obviously how they are recovering will play a role in free agency and the draft.

Good to see Delpit is working out with receivers.

D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Based on what?

Is this just your personal opinion or do you have some current medical information? Link please.

The last time I heard Andrew Berry speak on the subject, he seamed optimistic & felt that both were on track to recover.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Great to see Delpit working out. Not sure where that puts him in his recovery leading up to the season (on time, late, early), but good to see regardless.

Still skeptical on Greedy.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Peen said he didn't expect them to FULLY recover, and that makes sense, given the fact nerve damage is very serious and achilles tears have ended careers.

Now, hopefully they do, but the expectation that neither will be 100% of what they were before is betting on the house in Vegas, IMHO.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Speculation is just that.

Each case can vary.

When there is something definitive from a medical report or official from the team. It remains unknown.

If Delpit or Greedy report directly with a progress report on what they are doing in workouts. That may shed light on all this.

It is certain that Berry will be looking for DB help.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Great to see Delpit working out. Not sure where that puts him in his recovery leading up to the season (on time, late, early), but good to see regardless.

Still skeptical on Greedy.

he will be a full year recovered and should be at about 80% this year. in 2022 he will be back to 95% where he was in college.

luckily, it happened young. if it happened at 30, he would be done.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
All Pro
All Pro
I know that nerve damage has a tendency to "spontaneously" heal (that is a misnomer though, btw), but the fact that's it's taken this long has me more worried about Greedy than Delpit.

At least Delpit is working out. I haven't heard shinola about GW.

Legend
Legend

How did you come up with that?

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns' Offseason Activity

Link Copied to Clipboard