Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Legend
Legend
"working out" is a pretty vague phrase; it doesn't mean too much without more detail.

Is he doing bench presses and leg extensions, or is he running, doing sprints, cutting, trying to cover those WR's?

As for Greedy.... can he even use that arm, yet?? We're closing in on six months now of him not being able to use it.... I have to think that there will be a huge amount of muscle atrophy involved.

In short, both are question marks, at best, until they definitely are not.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Hammer
He slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

I heard it was an Air BnB in Strongsville.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Demo44
Based on what?

Is this just your personal opinion or do you have some current medical information? Link please.

The last time I heard Andrew Berry speak on the subject, he seamed optimistic & felt that both were on track to recover.

JMO

Let's see....one guy ruptured his achilles and he plays a position where speed and change of direction are pretty important.

The other has a nerve issue that has left him with an arm he can't even use to pick his nose.

No worries, right?

I'd say the odds of them returning back at 100% are pretty slim.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

How did you come up with that?

I have enough friends who played professional sports. one tore his achilles and the doc said it's very standard to have those expectations with ruptures. The older you are... the harder it is to come back.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Medical care and rehabilitation techniques have improved over the years.

I don't follow the nba much. Kevin Durant tore his achilles right? How was his come back? I would expect something similar for delpit

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Grateful be Da Man.

Thanks for all you do for us. I've been meaning to say this fo quite awhile now.

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
So, this is your personal medical opinion.

Are both injuries serious, of coarse. Will we know if they recover to the point of contributing in 2021, no.

The fact is many modern athletes do recover from a huge array of major injuries due to the progression of sports medicine.

At one time a Achilles injury was a career death sentence to a professional athlete, that's simply not the case anymore. Many have recovered & resumed playing at a high level. As far as nerve damage, I'm hopeful that the Browns medical professionals would explore many different approaches to Greedy's problem.

That all being said, I'm not suggesting that the Browns shouldn't be proactive & look to hedge their bets at both DB and Safety.

Both these men are young, in physical peak condition and have the advantage of medical & training resources that are unmatched to the average person.

Sure it's possible both don't recover 100%,but both have been rehabbing for a year, with limited stress to their injuries.

I guess I'm the half full & your the half empty guy.

Legend
Legend
Not sure Delpit can recover, but we surely need someone that makes a difference in the safety spots

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Half empty, half full still leaves you with half a cup. The way you view it doesn't change the fact.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Half empty, half full just proves that you have the wrong sized cup tongue

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Respectively, your OPINION doesn't make it a FACT.

You choose a negative OPINION & I choose a positive one. That's the only FACT in our conversation.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Honestly I am hoping the browns concentrate on new contacts for baker, chubb, teller ,ward and higgens. Would also like to see us keep goodson and I think he would come cheap. Would also like to see us bring back billy dunn. I dont think we need to waste any big money in free agency. Maybe just some solid players at a decent price and build through the draft

" Now here you are running these dirty old streets tattoo on your neck fake gold on your teeth, got the hood here snowed but you can't fool me, we both know who you are"
Legend
Legend

No offense but every case is different.

The injury, the person, age, procedure, rehab.

Lots of factors at play. No two are going to be the same.

I think the medical reports on each case is more definitive.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Dude, all he said initially was that he didn't expect either to fully recover. It's fine to disagree, but I think you're blowing it out of proportion...

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Dude, all he said initially was that he didn't expect either to fully recover. It's fine to disagree, but I think you're blowing it out of proportion...

This. It's fairly well known that, in general, guys that suffer this injury and play a position that does a lot of planting and driving with their foot (changing directions quickly) won't be fully recovered and build their strength and speed back up until well after they've been cleared to play again (so they'll be playing for a while in a diminished capacity). Obviously, there are exceptions and every person is different.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
and, when planning for a team's future, you don't plan for the best case scenario and then be left hanging if it doesn't work out.

You plan for the "most likely worst case" and then hope for better than that. Then, barring complete catastrophe, the team is still on track and getting better.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Seeing on twitter this morning that Hollywood Higgins seems awfully excited about something....

...Probably about playing video games, but one can hope. fingerscrossed

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Well, JJ Watt did Tweet about mitochondria last night, and the Browns play in First ENERGY Stadium, sooooo......

Ya know, it's totally transparent.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Well, JJ Watt did Tweet about mitochondria last night, and the Browns play in First ENERGY Stadium, sooooo......

Ya know, it's totally transparent.

And there is a mitochondria research facility in Buffalo, so it was a hint he's going to sign with the Bills. Duh.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend

Just read that Von Miller has about a 20% chance of remaining with Denver according to Gregg Rosenthal.

Watt versus Miller? mmmmmm

JJ fits better IMO.

Not sure Miller could play DE in our scheme.

Legend
Legend
Miller is too light to play DE for us, but he could excel at LB behind Myles & JJ, lol

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

You choose a negative OPINION & I choose a positive one. That's the only FACT in our conversation.

Not sure where you are thinking he put it out there as a fact. It was never presented as such.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Fine, I'll leave it alone.

One last comment, what about OBJ's rehab?

Crickets!

Legend
Legend
Even when his actual doctors and surgeons speak on his condition, they are merely going to give their OPINION.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B

LOl...I make a comment about not expecting either to be back at 100% and you start requiring links and complaining about me making medical judgements on players. I never said anything was fact.

What gives?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O

Crickets!

When it comes to anything related to OBJ, 'crickets' is good.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
Miller weighs 12 pounds less than Olivier Vernon. Also, Joe Woods used to be Miller’s defensive coordinator in Denver.

All Pro
All Pro
Vernon is a bit shorter too. Probably closer to about 18-20 pounds these days, especially when you adjust for height (gotta give 6 pounds per inch when guys are this built up). Imagine how skinny a 6'7" guy would be at 250lbs. smile On the other end a 6"0" guy at 250 is built like a brick. Just for visualization.

That said, Miller in the low 250's would still be fine, IMO.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
D
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
D
Your right, I apologize for being overly aggressive with my take.

I respect your comment & lets hope it works out well for the Browns.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Crickets!

Media response to your post: "Crickets are chirping around OBJ right now? There are no crickets currently chirping in Cleveland. OBJ must be somewhere that there are crickets. He obviously wants out of Cleveland."

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Crickets!

Media response to your post: "Crickets are chirping around OBJ right now? There are no crickets currently chirping in Cleveland. OBJ must be somewhere that there are crickets. He obviously wants out of Cleveland."

More crickets chirp in the areas OBJ isn't hanging out.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Crickets are noisy and bothersome .

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

I wanted to speculate on any surprise cuts or restructured contracts that may happen over the next few weeks as a result of the new cap, decisions to allocate $ to other players or position groups, or we simply don't value some players at their current contract. After looking at Spottrac, these are my potential candidates (in order of 2021 cap hit):

1. Odell Beckham, Jr. Cap hit in 2021 = $15.7M; Dead cap if cut = $12.8M. Cap savings if released = $3M
Not as much flexibility as Landry's contract in terms of Dead Cap but the reason is similar considering the amount of money allocated to this position group. Injury concerns over the last 4 years linger as well.

2. Jarvis Landry: Cap Hit in 2021 = $14.7M; Dead Cap if cut = $3M. Cap savings if cut = $11.7M
This is more of a symptom of me thinking he is overpaid coupled with the fact we're paying over $30M to both he and OBJ, which seems crazy to me. Add the rumors that the Browns want to extend Higgins, I can't imagine Berry and Co. prefer to allocate all that money to this position group.

3. Sheldon Richardson: Cap hit in 2021 = $13.6M; Dead cap if cut = $1.6M. Cap saving if cut = $12M
With the possibility of losing Ogunjobi, not knowing Billings physical status due to not playing in 2020, losing Richardson would add to an increased hole for the interior defensive line. That said, his 2021 salary seems high.

4. J.C. Tretter: Cap hit in 2021: $11M; Dead cap if cut = $6.75M. Cap savings if cut = $4.25M
Seems a little overpaid to me (certainly compared to Bitonio), has battled injuries, and Browns may view Nick Harris as their future center.

5. Joel Bitonio: Cap hit in 2021: $10M; Dead cap if cut = $0. Cap savings if cut = $10M
Probably not likely one way or another but the Browns wouldn't owe Joel a dime if they released him.

6. David Njoku: Cap hit in 2021 $6M; Dead cap if cut = $0. Cap saving if cut = $6M.
With all the news about him wanting out last season and cutting him would cost us nothing, he might be a candidate. I'm guessing they might try a trade first if the FO is ready to move on.

These six players account for 33% of the teams total 2021 cap.

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
OBJ - Doesn't make sense to cut and doubtful we'll find a trade partner that will give us decent return. See how he does with a QB that's finally grasping and operating well within the O.

Jarvis - Please Berry, don't cut him.

Richardson - This dude has been rock solid in there. He's a workhorse, getting it done in the trenches. IMO, he's earning his salary.

Tretter - I'm very hesitant to goof around at all with the Oline, but I could see Tretter as a darkhorse candidate for being shipped out in the name of savings. We've got Harris behind him and we've got Teller who will need to be signed.

Bitonio - I think it largely depends on how confident they are in the guy behind him, but Bitonio is a locker room glue guy. I would hope they would work with him to get his $$$ impact down, if need be.

Njoku - I was ready to pack his bags myself before the season started and early on... guy couldn't be off the roster fast enough, IMO. But his play down the stretch and into the playoffs muddied the water (in a good way). Honestly, though... I'm still rooting for Bryant to continue developing and take Njoku's job. I think Bryant has a better chance of becoming that well-rounded TE this offense needs.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C
I would expect all of those guys except Njoku to be on the team in 2021. I would bet OBJ, Landry, and Richardson all restructure their contracts.

All Pro
All Pro
To be fair, OBJ's guaranteed portion of the contract is not guaranteed until the end of the month. Technically he's still $0 dead cap at thee moment, but I don't believe he can be released/cut while injured. More importantly, why would we want to smile

I am all for restructuring and extending Richardson and Landry, though.
Add a year to both contracts (maybe a pseudo additional 2nd year) for cap spread and flexibility.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
Legend
I could see Njoku being traded.

I don't see OBJ going anywhere unless some team flat-out Wow's us with an offer... and given this year's draft class at WR, I doubt that happens.

Bitonio, Tretter, Richardson -- these guys are the definition of who you want to be getting paid. They aren't quite superstars or household names, really, but each one is more than above-average in their play and they are the sorts that are cornerstones of the team.

Landry - like the three above, he is a cornerstone, but he is also one of the undisputed leaders on the team. You can probably find a WR to replace his production, but it is nearly certain that whomever that is cannot replace his value in that lockerroom.

Eventually, every good team gets to the point where its minority of core players accounts for a very large portion of the team's cap spending. We are at that point because we actually have a solid core to this team, now. For the first time in longer than I can remember, this team has a foundational group of players.

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Zak Jackson of The Athletic came out with his article of who he thinks the Browns will cut, sign, trade, etc.

Anyone with a sub want to provide the cliffs note version?

Tackles are tackles.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns' Offseason Activity

Link Copied to Clipboard