B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN

I feel you but the potholes are just an inconvenience and the bridges aren't likely to fall down..

Meanwhile, in Cincinnati....

I do breathe a sigh of relief when I make it across the river.

Why? You run in to spaghetti junction when heading in from Ky. and when you enter KY., people decide the speed limit is 80 and start weaving in and out during a curvy 5 mile stretch.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
F
Legend
Legend
F
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Originally Posted By: FloridaFan
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Quote:
Then potholes and bridges don’t give a damn who we rep, gonna have you on the side of the road waiting for AAA regardless.

I feel you but the potholes are just an inconvenience and the bridges aren't likely to fall down..

Damn - so after 3rd world dictator tactics from Trump, now we should accept 3rd world roads and highways? As the richest Nation the planet has ever known, we don't want free healthcare as a right for our citizens and we think potholes are acceptable! LOL

Exaggerate much?

Did you miss the attempted coup OR the way he let 500K die to save his lie? SMH, it doesn't get more banana republic than that ish.

Did you miss the subject matter was about roads and infrastructure. But don't let me stop you and your group from constantly trying to turn every topic into a Trump bashing.

Trump's no longer in office, Biden is. You can choose to stoop to the level of Fish or Throw and a few others, and try to play the blame game, point fingers, "my dad can beat up your dad" schoolyard crap. Or we can respect each other and have adult discussions without the grade school crap.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Good luck with that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
No kidding? As if y’all ever have lol.

A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives.
– Jackie Robinson
P
Legend
Legend
P
The only blame I will throw is when it comes up for a vote. Some will vote for it and some will votes against it. The only time a president deserves any of the blame is if or when an infrastructure bill comes in front of him and he refuses to sign it.

The president doesn't hold the power of the purse. Congress has that responsibility. They and they alone can put together and pass an infrastructure bill. So we'll find out who is to blame when it comes up before the house and the senate.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
This time we will just like last time and the time before.

Bills in the name of Covid relief or roads or whatever are great. The problem is with all the stupid stuff attached.

One time I don't like it, the next time you don't like it. That is how some of these congress people try to get things passed that wouldn't otherwise pass on a straight up vote. Both parties do it, so lets not try to keep the political football in play by taking sides.

Write the darn Bills and keep them on point.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand what you're saying in concept. The problem is exactly as you have described, both parties do it. Your scenario, sadly as I agree with you, is a pipe dream on both our parts. That simply isn't going to happen as much as we would both like it to.

The question at some point becomes a simple one. Just how far are we going to let our infrastructure decay until we address it?

Fact; There is going to be pork written into any legislative process.

So how far do we let things deteriorate before we simply understand that we must look past some of that to make our infrastructure sound again?

If we allowed riders to legislation stop us from passing anything, nothing would ever be passed. What we both want, which are no riders added to a bill (pork) is never going to happen by either party, at some point we have to move forward.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Meanwhile, in Cincinnati....

I do breathe a sigh of relief when I make it across the river.

Why? You run in to spaghetti junction when heading in from Ky. and when you enter KY., people decide the speed limit is 80 and start weaving in and out during a curvy 5 mile stretch.

Haha, Cincinnati traffic is awful, you're correct. I was just talking about making it over the Brent-Spence bridge.

I oddly enough haven't dealt with too many speedsters on the Kentucky side. I don't feel like they get too bad until I get to more of the deep woods or Appalachian portion.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Side note: I play hockey with a buddy that 'does logistics'... I don't know what that means, but he directs a lot of commercial traffic in and around this area of the country. Supposedly, it's a known thing in his line of work that Cinci is the 2nd biggest transportation/logistical headache, only beat out by getting in and out of NYC (or something like that... point is, that area epically sucks).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
TQL?

I don't doubt it. It's a nightmare driving through that bottleneck.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Bills in the name of Covid relief or roads or whatever are great. The problem is with all the stupid stuff attached.

One time I don't like it, the next time you don't like it. That is how some of these congress people try to get things passed that wouldn't otherwise pass on a straight up vote. Both parties do it, so lets not try to keep the political football in play by taking sides.

I agree 100%. And because that's the way congress does it, the president will never get line item veto power.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Jester

I agree 100%. And because that's the way congress does it, the president will never get line item veto power.

I see no reason for riders/add ons to bills.

Things that are worthy would get voted for.

The only reason for riders/add ons is they can be buried in a 600 to 1200 or more pages bill. Give it a fancy name, like "covid relief", and it gets passed. All $1,900,000,000.00 of which a small portion goes to covid relief, while hundreds of billions goes over seas.

I think ESSENTIAL spending would be expedited with 1 item bills, and it would save money short term and long term.

Problem with that is, congress wouldn't get their kickbacks. They couldn't hide stuff on page 891, etc.

M
Legend
Legend
M
100%

The more things change the more they stay the same.
A
Legend
Legend
A
It's the old "Oh, you didn't vote for covid relief?"

Nah, I voted FOR that, it's just the other trillion I voted against. 100 million to pakistan to study gender? A billion over there for whatever, 5 billion to some other country for whatever, on and on.

But, with the catchy name of covid relief, you get lambasted by your constituents if you vote against it, and you get not re elected.

It's a huge problem, and the people that benefit the most? Congress.

And it's not just this last bill. It's pretty much every bill that gets passed. Congress people are reaping the rewards, big time.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I have not seen anywhere that $100M is being designated to a Pakistan gender study in this current bill that became law. There was $25M set aside for Pakistan gender programs in the second stimulus package that was signed into law under the previous administration.

Here is what that money is generally used for...
https://www.usaid.gov/pakistan/cross-cutting-themes-good-governance-and-gender-equity

Only 0.52% of the money is designated for foreign aid in this bill. Which amounts to amounts to ~$11B.

By and large the vast majority of the bill is going to support Americans, from small business, low to middle class families, rural housing, states and local municipalities, schools, child abuse prevention, mental health, youth suicide, rail way workers, covid testing, vaccination programs etc.

Reuters: Fact Check-What’s in the new $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief bill?

Here is the full text of the American Rescue Plan of 2021.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/117th-cong...9B02AA6A4D00FC1

A
Legend
Legend
A
That's neat and all, but dig a little deeper. Take the money for schools? Much of it is going to the pensions.

And anyway, why are we sending even 1 dollar to pakistan?

Why did we send 25 million to pakistan in the earlier stimulus package?

Why'd we send them ANYTHING in a stimulus package.

You've highlighted EXACTLY what I'm talking about. Our gov't. is sending money elsewhere under the guise of helping us. And it sucks..........but, congress people will get their cut one way or another. Trust me.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S

The numbers in that article only add up to 1.4 trillion. Thats 500 billion going to something thats not covid. This makes the 3rd covid bill with money going to people that don't need it. This is why people don't trust the government.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
Legend
Legend
M
I've read into it quite a bit.

$86B total for pensions that includes funding for manufacturing, construction, retail and entertainment.

I imagine the 1M workers who are currently retired and were facing the unsettling news that their retirement pension may go defunct can now sleep a little easier.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/03/08/covid-re...sion-plans.html

As for the $25M to Pakistan, I do not have the answer on why it was included in the previous package. As a super power, the US gives lots of money in foreign aid. In the grand scheme of spending, the $25M is the equivalent of someone losing a penny. $25M is a rounding error.

The enormous spending packages will always have riders/pork, whatever anyone wants to term them, that will not sit well with everyone. It'd be impossible to pass legislation that everyone agrees on. The add-ons allow members of Congress to steer money back to their home district or state. If spending bills were introduced on a single issue basis nothing would ever pass.

There will be plenty of earmarks when the massive infrastructure legislation is written and introduced.

IMO, the American Recovery Act bill will have a positive impact on lower and middle class people. Also, a significant impact on local municipalities that lost a significant amount of money in local tax revenues.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-relief-republican-mayors/

A family of four making under $150k will have $5600 deposited to their bank accounts. I doubt any of those families will be sending that money back.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

$86B total for pensions that includes funding for manufacturing, construction, retail and entertainment.
Why? I've been told since forever on here that pensions are self funded. Now we're seeing they aren't. What's that have to do with covid?

Quote:

I imagine the 1M workers who are currently retired and were facing the unsettling news that their retirement pension may go defunct can now sleep a little easier.
At whose expense? Oh, just the countries.
Quote:

As for the $25M to Pakistan, I do not have the answer on why it was included in the previous package. As a super power, the US gives lots of money in foreign aid. In the grand scheme of spending, the $25M is the equivalent of someone losing a penny. $25M is a rounding error.
You're missing the bigger picture. It's not just Pakistan getting money. But, whatever, the u.s. is an endless pot of money, right?
[quote}

The enormous spending packages will always have riders/pork, whatever anyone wants to term them, that will not sit well with everyone. It'd be impossible to pass legislation that everyone agrees on. The add-ons allow members of Congress to steer money back to their home district or state. If spending bills were introduced on a single issue basis nothing would ever pass. [/quote} I disagree, entirely. Everyone can agree on things on an individual basis. There is NO need to include pork on ANY spending bill, ever. If the pork was needed, vote on it separately. Fairly basic concept, no?

You and your wife need a new roof. It's going to cost $20,000. You both agree to do it. Then your wife adds in $10,000 for a vacation, and your daughter adds $5,000 for braces, and your son adds in $1,500 so he can buy his girlfriend stuff to impress her, and your mom and dad add in $20,000 for whatever.

All of a sudden your $20,000 roof costs over $56,000.

Quote:

There will be plenty of earmarks when the massive infrastructure legislation is written and introduced.

IMO, the American Recovery Act bill will have a positive impact on lower and middle class people. Also, a significant impact on local municipalities that lost a significant amount of money in local tax revenues.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/covid-relief-republican-mayors/

A family of four making under $150k will have $5600 deposited to their bank accounts. I doubt any of those families will be sending that money back.

I guarantee that family of 4 won't send any back.

I completely disagree that ......what do we call it? The "American Recovery Act"?????????????????? that will have negative affects for decades on the exact people you purport it will help.

M
Legend
Legend
M
That's cool. We disagree. No biggie.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I guess the better option was to do nothing? That's the message it appears some are sending. Riders are not something any of us like. The problem is that both sides do this. Neither side is going to give up that power and relinquish it.

I understand the frustration it brings because I share it to. But I try and be rational about it. Fact is, that is the system we live under. We either move forward in helping our nation in terms of Covid and infrastructure, something most all of us benefit from, or we do nothing and watch our nation crumble.

While it's a frustrating decision I think it's a rather simple one until such time as we can change the current political system.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c:

Texas Gov. Abbott says Biden's migrant crisis is now a 'humanitarian disaster' amid COVID outbreak at hastily constructed child holding facility which has no 'usable running water' - while Pelosi claims the president has situation 'under control'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article...r.html#comments

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

Joe Biden to Spend $86 Million on Hotel Rooms for Border Crossers notallthere

John Binder

20 Mar 2021

President Joe Biden’s administration has awarded a taxpayer-funded contract to pay for hotel rooms for border crossers arriving at the United States-Mexico border.

An Axios report reveals that Biden’s Department of Homeland Security (DHS) will pay a Texas-based nonprofit to provide $86 million worth of hotel rooms for six months for approximately 1,200 families who cross the southern border. DHS confirmed the arrangement.

The hotel rooms, according to Axios, will be in Arizona and Texas near the southern border and will serve as welcoming centers for border crossers whom the Biden administration is hoping to quickly release into the U.S. interior.

Already, detention facilities at the southern border are being reworked to become similar-style welcoming centers for border crossers where adults and children are released within a 72-hour period. The administration is looking to welcome nearly 120,000 Unaccompanied Alien Children (UACs) into the U.S. this year.

In addition, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) is spending $110 million for “eligible local nonprofit and governmental organizations and state governmental facilities that have aided, or will aid” border crossers apprehended and released into the U.S. interior.

This week, DHS Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas confirmed to lawmakers the agency had been releasing border crossers into the U.S. interior who were not tested for the coronavirus and, it was discovered, were carrying the virus.

Federal officials told the media that UACs at one particular facility had a positive coronavirus rate of 11 percent — nearly double the Texas positivity average. Texas Gov. Greg Abbott (R) called the coronavirus outbreak at the UAC facilities “unacceptable and inhumane.”

In February, almost 100,000 border crossers were apprehended at the southern border, an increase of 170 percent from the same time last year. The number of illegal aliens who successfully crossed the border, undetected, since October 2020 has surpassed 118,000, Breitbart News exclusively reported.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/03/20/joe-biden-spend-86m-hotel-rooms-border-crossers/

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
That's it Biden/Harris...spread 'em out all over the country with the Covid 19 virus... notallthere flamingmad

Joe Biden Expedites Import of Illegal Aliens by Flying Them to the Canadian Border for ‘Processing’

Penny Starr

20 Mar 2021

The flow of illegal aliens into the United States is growing so rapidly the Biden administration is preparing to fly them to the Canadian border so as to expedite “processing” them into the country, according to the Washington Post.

While former President Donald Trump’s immigration policy was aimed at securing U.S. borders and preventing people from entering the country before they were vetted — including testing for the Chinese coronavirus — President Joe Biden has turned the effort on its head. This means that what were once detention centers are now reception centers welcoming thousands of migrants into the country on a daily basis.

On Friday alone, 1,000 people, including families and Unaccompanied Alien Children (UAC), crossed the U.S. border with Mexico, according to the Post.

The paper, which disparaged Trump’s immigration policy on a daily basis, reported on the Biden administration’s “scramble to contend with a widening emergency that officials say they do not view as a ‘crisis’ but a ‘stressful challenge’”:

The extraordinary volume of unauthorized border crossings in recent days has left the families and minors waiting hours outdoors, many under a bridge next to the river where CBP is operating a large outdoor processing station. The backups have been exacerbated by the more than 4,500 unaccompanied teenagers and children held in detention cells and border tent sites, a record number.

The Post cited a lack of winter clothing for the illegal aliens as a concern when flying them to the north of the country, noting how the surge that happened under Trump took place during warmer weather:

That crisis occurred during warmer months, however, and CBP officials did not immediately respond to questions about whether the government would be able to furnish winter clothing to parents with children if they are sent to states such as Montana, South Dakota and Michigan, where the Border Patrol has far fewer staff members and generally smaller facilities. CBP has used ICE aircraft in recent days to transport migrant families from the Rio Grande Valley, where facilities are far overcapacity, to the El Paso area. Many of those families are then being returned to Mexico under a Trump-era emergency public health order.

The outlet did not explain that the “emergency public health order” came from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to protect Americans from further spread of the coronavirus.

Moreover, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) confirmed Thursday it would provide $110 million of taxpayer money to fund nonprofit and government agencies to help illegal aliens coming into the country, the Post reported.

The money is sourced from the $510 million in supplemental funding as part of the massive American Rescue Plan Act of 2021 (for which not one Republican voted) that Democrats claimed was aimed at helping Americans in the wake of the coronavirus pandemic.

https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2021/...for-processing/

B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
The President and his crack team must be on crack.

Mr.President, just close the boarder you dumbass. Admit it, your border policy is a fail.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
So far his border crisis has failed for two months. And as can be seen at least he's working to solve it. Trump's border failure lasted for for years and you, along with the Texas governor didn't say a peep.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Not sure what you mean.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Not sure what you mean.
I'm not speaking for Pitt here, but just about every single president has (in their own way) kicked the illegal alien situation down the road. Until this issue is meaningfully addressed and fixed, we're going to see it come back again and again.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
The difference between Trump and Biden regarding the border is that Trumps idea of handling things involved a hard way of dealing

Biden is attempting to do things in a much more human way.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
The difference between Trump and Biden regarding the border is that Trumps idea of handling things involved a hard way of dealing

Biden is attempting to do things in a much more human way.

LOl...screw the human way as you call it. Shut the border and send them back. That works.

If a cat shows up at your door and you give it a bowl of milk, guess what happens? Shoo it on it's way, problem solved.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Human beings aren't cats. I guess you forgot that America is "supposed to be" a nation that sets the world standard for human rights and compassion. I can see why that happened.

And once again, you are obviously too busy complaining to keep up with what's going on because as you said about attacks on Asians, there aren't many of them in your area. Well here's an update for you so you don't look silly complaining about something that has already happened.

DHS chief says border closed, won't give timeline for facilities capable of handling surge of unaccompanied children.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/21/politics/...nntv/index.html

Here's the Readers Digest version for you. Other than non unaccpompanied minors, our border with Mexico is closed. Maybe being kind to children is something you consider wrong. Maybe leaving them to fend for themselves in Mexico is something you endorse.

To most human beings with an ounce of compassion it is not.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Deplorable.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
Deplorable.

It is deplorable what is happening down there. We need to stop the flow and send those people back home.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Deplorable.

It is deplorable what is happening down there. We need to stop the flow and send those people back home.

LOL. They are home. Not like the rapists, drug dealers, and the “Bad Hombres’ “ Trump claimed Mexico was sending. Kids are escaping persecution from those bad hombres. Many have relatives here already and they are carrying their phone numbers with them. But no, the trump loving flag wavers have no heart. Continue the hate bro. Continue to do you.

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's not true either. It's more accurate to say they don't have a home. They aren't cats, they're human beings that should be treated with care and dignity. I think this current admin understands that, unlike the last one. But they aren't citizens, just because they're here doesn't mean they get all the rights of citizens. I'm not sure this admin really cares enough to really make that distinction.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Deplorable.

No kidding. Comparing humans to stray cats. Pfft ... the fruit of a trump administration of hate .......”thy neighbors”.

– Jackie Robinson
Legend
Legend
Are you suggesting trump cared more than Biden?

– Jackie Robinson
O
Legend
Legend
O
No. I don't think Trump cared about the human element of the border crisis ("bad hombres" and such). Biden's issue (IMO) is the opposite. We need to enforce the rules we have on the books, and if those rules aren't working then we need to change them so that they do.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
B
yep...I am comparing people to cats. LOL

Carry on.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
yep...I am comparing people to cats. LOL

Carry on.

Yes you did, and it was DEPLORABLE. And your dismissive use of 'carry on' in the face of any and all criticism of your disgusting views is exactly why NOBODY takes you seriously. When you post your opinion, you might as well just copy paste "Repugnant self centered post with zero redeeming qualities or moral values here, move on sharply and take care not to get any of my ish on your shoes."

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 03/23/21 09:45 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus President Bidens Border Crisis

Link Copied to Clipboard