Next Thread
Print Thread
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I know country music isn't for everyone. And I'm not really a fan of much of it. But then again I'm rather selective in what I do and don't like from every genre I listen to.

But Outlaw Country is what first started me listening to country music. It's that raw edge that interests me. Waylon Jennings was actually my favorite Outlaw Country singer when I was young. Now Outlaw Country isn't as popular or played as it once was. The only artist that comes close for me who is popular at this time is Chris Stapleton.

But I ran across this on FB and it's an artist I had never heard of but it's a song I certainly like that takes me back to the Outlaw Country of days gone by.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I have Sirrus radio in my cars. My favorite station is outlaw country. They play some ZZ, Lynerd, in addition to Waylon, Willie, Merle, but mostly a bunch of others you never hear on regular radio. It's the others I like most. I like hearing new music. This station is a cross between country, blues, rock, heck, and anything else the DJ feels like playing.

This one is catchy IMO and the lyrics are a hoot. I first heard this one about 10PM driving to my hotel in Ky. on my way up to a Browns game maybe 6-7 years ago.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
My vote goes to Merle Haggard (Mama Tried, Serving 190 Proof, etc)

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P

I got to catch Dale Watson at a festival I worked a number of years back. I hadn’t really heard of him. Man he nailed it that night. I became a fan.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'm still obsessed with Brantley Gilbert

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I really do like Chris Stapleton a lot too. Not as much what gets radio play but more of his other stuff.

And Blackberry Smoke. They may tend more towards southern rock but there's a mix of country outlaw in there.

I know many people think that musicians and such should stay away from social messages but I've always been one who believes if you have the stage and ability to reach a lot of people, say something worth hearing. It's why I've never been a big fan of the "sex, drugs and rock&roll" type bands in rock. I mean for God's sake, if you have something worth saying, say it.

So this guy is someone I found that I'm starting to listen to more.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Why is it the best stuff these guys do never gets any air play?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Dale Watson is great. He gets a lot of play on Outlaw Country.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I don't know man. The music to that song reminds me a lot of the music to this song.

Just sayin'.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Why is it the best stuff these guys do never gets any air play?

They get time at my house, in my car, and anybody within 50 yards of me when I'm on the motorcycle (Love my ipod for the car, and bike)

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The current artist that I personally feel is doing outlaw country the best is Sturgill Simpson...

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
He does a great job! I certainly like him. I've just been looking for lesser known artists lately. I know he isn't exactly a household word or anything but he's far more known than many at this time.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Outlaw Music???

The Outlaws: Green Grass and High Tides Forever

See what I did there? brownie

My wife's favorite song from yesteryear. By far. Whilst drivin back and forth to South Carolina I gotta spotify it for her at least 6-7 times each way, and along with that, at a high decibel level.

Let this sink in..... On 12-31-23 it be will 123123.
On the flip side, you can tune a piano but you can't tune-a-fish.

S
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
S
If you like that stuff you guys should look into Chuck Ragan, a saw him once open for Social Distortion, and he was awesome. He came out with two other guys, Chuck had a guitar, one guy was playing standup bass and the other was playing a fiddle. I thought, now we got something here.

Legend
Legend

B
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
B
My Guy: Tyler Childers

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Dale Watson is great. He gets a lot of play on Outlaw Country.

I have seen him live a few times in a small venue. He is good

Joe Thomas #73
R
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
R
Sara Shooks

Legend
Legend

Waylon had that great male voice that fit perfect to the sound.

Not sure how Gram Parsons is classified. He did play with the Flying Burrito Brothers.

I guess is would be more main stream country. I am not a huge country fan but Gram Parsons was special.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Waylon is the country outlaw artist that got me into it in the first place. I was lucky enough to see The Highwaymen live before Johnny and Waylon passed.

#gmstrong
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Parsons influenced many country artists long after his death in the early 70's. His music is more popular than ever.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

His duets with Emmy Lou Harris were just incredible.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Craig Gerdes is pretty good. has a bit of a Waylon sound.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Scooter Brown is a good.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
I really liked the Craig Gerdes track. Waylon was the first country artist I ever really listened to and purchased. Much like my tasted in R&R music, I'm pretty selective on who I like and who I don't.

I enjoyed and very much agree with the lyrics and the message in the Scooter Brown song but the music is just too podunk for me. It's exactly how I feel about country radio today.

Take Merle for example. It's like I'm really not much of a fan of Merle. Here are my thoughts about him in a song.

Okie from Muskogee made him a lot of money but turned off a lot of other people who may have otherwise been a fan. And he wasn't fooling anyone. He was smoking weed the entire time.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Here is one you might like...Cody Jinks. Good stuff IMO.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Yeah I've been listening to him for a while now. He has more exposure than a lot of the others. I'd say more people have heard of him than all the other artists I posted combined.

#gmstrong
All Pro
All Pro
DAWG GONE! I love music threads. I love hearing what songs move and groove you all. That being said, I haven't been able to work through the playlist yet. Expect some epiphanies at a later date.

Offhand:
-good call on Uncle Lucius Pit. I know I can count on you to have your finger on the pulse.
-Triple T; way to come up clutch with "Nose on the Grindstone." That is one I would have posted. I'm surprised RockOpti hasn't chimed in with some Tyler Childers jams.

In that vein, I have to bring out "Follow You to Virgie." My best friend lost his mom last year and I always think of her when I hear this song. The lyrics, "I reckon we were heathens, but in her eyes we were kings," and "that's what us boys are for, to help you out when you get weary and you can't go no more."

This jam is for Joan, or Mrs. Z. I miss you SO much:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udNmEEfCcUM

Last edited by VarmintKong; 05/19/21 09:56 PM.

---------------------------------------------------------

#gmstrong

We are not called on to be successful. We are called on to be faithful.
All Pro
All Pro
I'm a rocker gosh darnit, But I can appreciate a righteous jam. I see a lot of love for Chris Stapleton, and rightfully so; I don't get the feeling he is just a producer and a voice.

Here's some Chris Stapleton before he was just Chris Stapleton. I always tell my wife that I'm just coming into my prime, but our kids keep growing and I know I'm getting older. I love the line, "in my day, I sure was somethin', before I felt the heavy hands of time."

Oh?!? You didn't know. This post is an automatic two-fer. Just like when you hear Heartbreaker and Livin' Lovin' Maid. I don't know if he sings, "out way past my prime," or "half way past my prime." I like to think it's only half-way cuz' there's a whole lot more possibilities on that downhill slide.

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
My wife's brother is a straight-up metalhed. I remember watching him play drums to Sepultura and Pantera without missing a beat. Metal or not; he knows good music. I'll always listen to what he brings to the table. This is absolutely in the "Outlaw" vein:

However, I think this song is the JAM!:

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
Triple T again! You have to include the Outlaws with outlaw tunes. I used to date a girl who lived across what was normally a corn or soy bean field. Her mom was a dental hygienist who drank enough to burn bridges with every office in the county. When she couldn't find another job she moved back down near Belpre, where she grew up. I used to sling block all week and roll down I-77 to cruise through those hills. I used to love looking out at the tree line, while listening to some soaring guitars. This solo will make your heart want to beat out of your chest! It runs from 3:53 to 4:59 on this track:

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
Last one. I watched my wife's brothers turn into blubbering babies when they listened to this song. It's not my style, but I can identify. I like the lyrics, but rather than quote something specific, I'll let you all find what resonates with you personally:

#gmstrong

All Pro
All Pro
I lied. It was the tune I meant to lead off with. My go to when I used to practice the ancient art of Carrie-Okay. "Don't let a memory talk to me."

I promise that's it... But if you're gonna listen to that you might as well listen to "Good Hearted Woman"

#gmstrong

Legend
Legend
If it's blubbering babies you want play this one for anybody who has or had cancer.

P
PitDAWG Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
P
Man did you ever add some great stuff to this thread! The old Outlaws tune sure takes me back in time. I listened to The Outlaws, Pure Prairie League (before anyone knew who the hell Vince Gill was), and Marshall Tucker Band and more back in the day. Sadly there's really no place for these type of people on radio anymore. They certainly no longer fit the rock & roll genre and aren't quite able to fit into mainstream, what I call "country pop" that we hear today. I'm shocked that Chris Stapleton broke through quite frankly.

Here's a band that's more popular than most in this offbeat genre these days that I think fits well into this thread. Probably more Southern Rock than outlaw country per say. There's even a little Led for your head mixed in. wink

I was lucky enough to have seen them perform with ZZ Top a few years back and was already big fans of theirs.

Something to help show their versatility. I really like this one.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
So there’s a kid out there that goes by the name Billy Strings. He’s bluegrass’ next legend in the making. He can flat out pick on the guitar and his voice is that of an old soul. At the same time he’s pushing country/bluegrass into the modern times.
Tonight at 8pm EST he’ll be playing on Austin City Limits. It’ll be live-streamed here….

https://acltv.com/livestream-billy-strin...J26pzfTB6rP8YJ4

It’ll be worth catching.

Here’s a couple of tunes to wet your whistle.

Dust in a Baggie…

And one that pushes outside the box of what bluegrass supposedly is..

It’s not really outlaw country but I wanted to share the Austin City Limits link and felt this was as good a place as any.
Enjoy the show.

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... It's Not For Everyone Outlaw Music

Link Copied to Clipboard