Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dawg Citizen
No on Clowney.
yeah, it looks like he’ll be waiting until TC to sign again

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think this draft class is pretty weak at edge rusher. Even if some of the top rated edge rushers fall to us I don't think it means they are more talented than what the #26 position would bring us in strong edge rushing class.

Edge rushers are a position very much in demand and valued. Much like the QB, CB, LT positions are. I believe they will be over drafted based on position and by the time we get to #26 it will be hard if not impossible to find any value at the position. I certainly hope I'm wrong about that.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
I thought I read where this draft class has a lot of good edge rushers as well as other D players.

P
Legend
Legend
P
That's not what I've seen but that's coming strictly from the point of edge rushers. There is no "Myles Garrett" in this draft. Actually there's nobody close to that category. From what I see the top talent at edge rusher in this draft may not have even been considered in the top 10 of some recent drafts.

I see teams in need possibly reaching a little. Which if that happens, won't bode well for us at #26.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Beware the Kool-aid. Everybody is a world beater in HypeLand at this point. Without the Combine, I have less ideas about the Draft than I usually do.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
All Pro
All Pro
The Edge class is weird this year.

It's possible none go in the top 20...and then have 5 go between 21 and 30.

That may seem like an impossible occurrence, but...that's what this class is.

Paye, Ojulari, Phillips, Oweh and Rousseau.

Ossai is still more of a 3-4 LBer to me. Tryon may be OK on day 2, but the top 5 above are pretty universally liked. Saying the class is weak because it doesn't have the blue chip guy at the top is king of unfair, IMO.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
I thought I read where this draft class has a lot of good edge rushers as well as other D players.

This years class is lacking the blue chip pass rusher(s) and a lot of the players are either better suited as 3-4 OLBs or need to add weight to be every down players.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Beware the Kool-aid. Everybody is a world beater in HypeLand at this point. Without the Combine, I have less ideas about the Draft than I usually do.

The numbers are available. Most are listed in the pro day thread.

While there may some standard deviation from location to location v all numbers derived from one testing location, they are close enough. I don't think some locations measured off a 37 yard 40 yard dash, or used 50lb bar weights that actually weighed 40 lbs. to inflated their players numbers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Bull_Dawg

That’ll do.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That’ll do.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Meh. I'm not thrilled about the signing

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
BDU Offline
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I love the signing if it comes to fruition. He's an underrated player who is both very good and consistent against the run, and he's a disruptive pass rusher who generates pressure.

He doesn't rack up the sacks but pressure means more to me than sacks because pressures are more common than sacks. I love that Nick Chubb can take it 80 yards, but I love Nick Chubb because he can consistently churn out those 4 or 5 yard runs, y'know?

Clowney is a victim of the hype which surrounded him. He's a very good football player. We're not spending the first overall pick, so I'm thrilled to be getting a very good football player on the cheap. He doesn't have to be generational.

The scheme fit is there. He's all the more lethal playing across Garrett. And, best of all, he'll probably be on a one-or-so year deal while we develop a young talent behind him.

I'd hate the signing if we needed him to be "the guy" but we just need him to be "a guy" and he's that and then some.

Legend
Legend
Ehh,, I'm not sure he's the right fit.. We all know that when healthy he's pretty darn good.. But there are too many buts mixed in with him... Not sure he's worth it.

Is there anything left in the tank?

Last edited by Damanshot; 04/12/21 08:11 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think at this point it's the best we could do. I just hope it's a relatively cheap rental and they double-dip in the draft.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Not sure he's worth it.

Whatever he has left in the tank is better than whatever else we have to put out there, so I think it's definitely worth it.

He is an upgrade on Takk, he is far and away better than any other DE we have on the roster. He makes the team better.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
If we can sign him for our price and term, (not his) I'm all for it.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

He is an uptikk on Takk, he is far and away better than any other DE we have on the roster. He makes the team better.
Fixed for you smile

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
When he left the first time we were not together on Term, price per year, or guarantee. We let him walk and let him know we were still interested but not at his numbers. We wished him luck and told him to come back if he didn't get an offer from another team that met his wants. So apparently nobody else agreed with him on his worth.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I guess this means that they don't believe there is a chance that the EDGE they like will be available @ pick 26.

[Linked Image]

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
The way I see it--what is there to lose? I've read that we have ~12.5 million in cap space, and only ~6 million when you reserve rookie deals from the draft. It doesn't seem like there's many other options at DE at this point in FA, so if we held off from signing Clowney with our remaining cap, what will we spend it on instead?

Clowney obviously has some inherent risk in not living up to whatever contract he is given, but his potential seems better than the alternative of not signing anybody at all, right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FL_Dawg
I guess this means that they don't believe there is a chance that the EDGE they like will be available @ pick 26.
I'm not sure I agree with this take. It looks to me that this FO is taking care of needs in FA so that need doesn't dictate the draft. Going into the draft needing a [insert position] too often means not taking the BPA. Fill needs in FA, even if short term solutions, and let the draft come to you.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
We have $6 million or so from this year's cap ...... but we also have a rather sizeable carryover from previous years that can be used towards, or for, a free agent signing .... or for contract extensions.

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2021/02/browns-lead-nfl-in-salary-cap-carryover

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
C
Legend
Legend
C

Or it means they don’t have want to be forced into taking any position because of need.

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Or it means they don’t have want to be forced into taking any position because of need.

Tackles are tackles.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F

Exactly, flexibility and keeping your cards close to the vest so other teams don't know who you want. I always thought it
was so stupid of teams to "leak" who they liked. This singing could also maybe, just maybe, indicate they feel there is a guy that will be available in round two or three that can be good, but will need a year playing with guys like Garrett & Clowney so Clowney gets us to 2022.

Who knows what they are thinking. The FO & scouting guys do this for 40-60 hrs a week for at least 12 weeks. I will give them the benefit.

By the way it is less fun to wait until 26, but the reason we have to is awesome.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T

If we're picking at #32 next year, like we all aspire to, BPA becomes less attractive. Free agency becomes more important. Being a GM is hard. Belechik played it beautifully, while he had Brady.

O
Legend
Legend
O

Maybe what I'm saying is a bit of TomAto, tomato... but by bringing in Clowney they're ensuring that the guy they're picking this year won't be forced into the fire right off the bat. It doesn't mean they don't have to nail the pick, though. We're expecting the Clowney signing to be a 1-year rental, so by buying yourself a year you're only really giving your draft pick time to soak in the playbook and get his body into NFL shape.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Or it could be that there isn't an edge player worth the #26 pick.

Kwity Paye - looks the part but needs to develop some pass rush moves.

Jaelan Phillips - Very good player but the injury history is scary, retired once because of his health and rumor is some teams took him off their boards.

Jayson Oweh - freakish athlete but his production doesn't match his abilities, also a little on the light size to be an every down player.

Greg Rousseau - put up good college numbers but most of his sacks came against OGs, good college OTs handled him easily, not the greatest athlete for a DE.

Azeez Ojulari - Good pass rusher but he's already maxed out at 6'2" 250 lbs and his game is all speed, if he can't beat the OT around the edge he is stonewalled, no power.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
P
Legend
Legend
P
Or maybe they see Clowney as a rotational player as many have suggested on here and it has zero impact on the draft. With his injury history cutting down on his plays may help insure his ability to stay healthy.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
j/c...

The saga continues...

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

Clowney...Houston...Kerrigan...at the right price I'd be ok with either of the three.

Don't forget they like Weaver (who they stole from the Fish last summer) and there are a lot of Round-2-projected guys who aren't all that much different than the higher rated DEs (at least to my reading).

I think the FO is all about DBs...and signing Clowney gets them in even better position to draft 'em. JMO

M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Maybe what I'm saying is a bit of TomAto, tomato... but by bringing in Clowney they're ensuring that the guy they're picking this year won't be forced into the fire right off the bat. It doesn't mean they don't have to nail the pick, though. We're expecting the Clowney signing to be a 1-year rental, so by buying yourself a year you're only really giving your draft pick time to soak in the playbook and get his body into NFL shape.

There are only 4 to 5 roster spots for the EDGE.

Phillips is a guy who is in the top 1/2% as far as prospects go. He will probably go much higher then folks are thinking that he will.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Not sure he's worth it.

Whatever he has left in the tank is better than whatever else we have to put out there, so I think it's definitely worth it.

He is an upgrade on Takk, he is far and away better than any other DE we have on the roster. He makes the team better.

For that matter, he is better than anyone we could draft to fill that position this year.

The guy is 28 years old. He has enough in the tank to play out a 3-4 year deal if we did that.

He is way better than Vernon was, and nobody complained about that.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Is he? Sincere question.

I thought Vernon was going to be our cheat code for the D lined up opposite Garrett. Pretty sure Dorsey thought the same thing as he traded a blooming Peppers (or was it our All-Pro guard? Either way...).

Clowney is being brought in late in FA on what we're assuming is going to be a cheap 1-year deal.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Is he? Sincere question.

I thought Vernon was going to be our cheat code for the D lined up opposite Garrett. Pretty sure Dorsey thought the same thing as he traded a blooming Peppers (or was it our All-Pro guard? Either way...).

Clowney is being brought in late in FA on what we're assuming is going to be a cheap 1-year deal.
Dorsey traded Zeitler for Vernon on Friday after the league offices closed for the weekend. Dorsey and Gettleman continued to talk, and before the weekend was over, they traded Peppers for OBJ. When the league office opened on Monday, they combined the trades to make things easier, and the final, official trade was Zeitler and Peppers for Vernon and Beckham.

1. #GMstrong
4. ClemenZa #1
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns' Offseason Activity Part 2

Link Copied to Clipboard