Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1857609 04/14/21 08:11 AM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Why the thread. "IF" we sign Clowney it eliminates the NEED for an edge rusher at our top pick #26 or a move up.

This leaves us CB as our NEED Pick.

What we have on our roster to date:
Brian Allen 6'3" 200 Special Teamer
AJ Green 6'2" 198 raw talent to be coached up possible reliable back up
Troy Hill 5'11" starting slot CB but has skills for Outside also
Robert Jackson 6'2" 207 started in our playoff game with the Steelers...needs work but could be on our roster at 53.
MJ Stewart Jr. 5'11" 200 did a good job at slot CB as a fill in. Reliable for back up.
Denzel Ward 5'11" 190 Pro Bowler when healthy. Missed time every season.
Greedy Williams 6'2" 185 hopefully puts on some weight as he missed the 2020 season. He is penciled in as our starter but quite frankly would be more comfortable with starting Hill if we just have 2 CBs out there.

We are most likely to covet a starting CB as the draft is not full of quality corners there most likely would not be one left when we pick in the 2nd round. So 26 is the pick.

I can assume Surtain and Horn will go in the top 15.
Move up...the only possible move up in my books is Caleb Farley who might drop due to health reasons. He is a Pro Bowler HOF talent so if we take him and wait mid season for him to be in playing shape....so be it. But he's a stud for the playoffs and future seasons.

Move up cause he could be there 18-20 and we can move up with probably giving up a 3rd round pick ??? maybe a little more.

But the reason I'm making this thread about Greg Newman II is because he just might be the guy there at #26. Do we take him?

https://www.nfl.com/prospects/greg-newsome-ii/32004e45-5767-3012-fb28-d7fdd1b7e482

There are some 2nd rounders that might be of interest I would take Newman and then wait in the 2nd round for one of these to drop to us.

Eric Stokes
Kelvin Joseph
Asante Samuel
Tyson Campbell
Aaron Robinson
Ifeatu Melifonwu

Some real speedsters in Stokes and Joseph. Melifonwu has some good size.

Jmho and what is yours?

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1857611 04/14/21 08:31 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For a long time Newsome was the fuy who was likely to be available at 26 that i wanted. Unfortunately, after his pro day, it is looking like he will be gone by 26

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
eotab #1857617 04/14/21 09:03 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
You'd put CB as highest need over LB? Is that with the assumption that we are going to be putting an extra safety out there?

We have Walker, Malcom Smith, Takitaki, Philips, Wilson, and others. Out of that group, I see 2 legit starters (Walker and Smith). Philips showed some promise as did Takitaki.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
eotab #1857618 04/14/21 09:03 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly, I'm still not entirely sure what this regime is trying to do at CB yet. Personally, I would prefer more press coverage in order to try to get QBs to hold the ball that extra tick. If we leaned that way, I'd probably focus more on the bigger/longer corners like Joseph and Melifonwu. Maybe Mukuamu from South Carolina later. I liked Robinson from UCF as well. He looks/plays bigger than his measurements, though he would be more of a "big" nickel than outside guy imho.

Newsome seemed pretty technically sound to me and tested well athletically, but I don't think he necessarily plays to those numbers in pads. I still like him somewhat, but he's not someone I want to trade up for.

If we're going to play more off coverage, I would lean more towards Samuel Jr.

I haven't watched enough of the Georgia guys to have a firm opinion yet, and with a new job I doubt I'll find the time.

Horn is my ideal CB, but I don't think that we have much of a shot at him. He is one I'd consider trading up for, though the cost is likely a prohibiting factor.

The back injury on Farley worries me. I'm no doctor though.

If we stay at 26 and Horn is gone, I would likely go Oweh if he's on the Board still, regardless of what happens with Clowney.

Maybe then trade up in round 2 for Melifonwu/Joseph.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
You'd put CB as highest need over LB? Is that with the assumption that we are going to be putting an extra safety out there?

We have Walker, Malcom Smith, Takitaki, Philips, Wilson, and others. Out of that group, I see 2 legit starters (Walker and Smith). Philips showed some promise as did Takitaki.

I kind of see it differently. I think the hope/plan is that Takitaki/Philips/Wilson surpass Smith and Walker. The vets are bandaids that will also provide leadership, but they're on short term, low investment contracts. We're "covered" for this year either way.

I don't think the team values LBs as much philosophically as outsiders. They could surprise me, but I don't see a 1st round investment at LB in the cards at this point.

We'll likely add depth, but I think we'll see better performance from the guys already here with more familiarity, if they can stay healthy. Young guys missing reps with tweaked knees (and COVID changes) really set us back last season. Installing new systems with constantly changing personnel available and a suspect back end is problematic.

I think we're more likely to invest "higher" in LB next year, if those 3 don't pan out this season.

Hopefully, we'll have some health luck this year. Frequently, it's the healthiest team that is the one still standing at the end of the season.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
eotab #1857660 04/14/21 12:20 PM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
I wouldn't mind Newsome as the pick, but I'm not sure if CB is the need pick. I could argue with so many DTs contracts expiring this year (Richardson, Jackson, Billings) is just as important than CB. DE as well with Takk being a one year deal (if Clowney is a longer deal, DE becomes less important).

I think BPA on defense is the need pick.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: clwb419
I wouldn't mind Newsome as the pick, but I'm not sure if CB is the need pick. I could argue with so many DTs contracts expiring this year (Richardson, Jackson, Billings) is just as important than CB. DE as well with Takk being a one year deal (if Clowney is a longer deal, DE becomes less important).

I agree, Newsome is very good, would love him here, but we could also go DT and Barmore is a possible pick at #26 ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
eotab #1857664 04/14/21 12:28 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
It's as if people forgot we signed Troy Hill.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
It's as if people forgot we signed Troy Hill.

We haven't forgotten we just remember Greedy is like glass and even Ward has missed time with injury ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
The same could be said about Vernon on the DL. Point being this FO addressed both the CB and DE position in the FA market. Neither were ignored and neither position is favored over the other in draft needs.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Clowney is a Brown.

So, given the depth at corner in this draft. That most likely will be the direction.

However, they do not have to be locked in on any position.

My favorite player in this draft is JOK.

Jamin Davis has my full attention.

But I am good with whatever is decided.

P
Legend
Legend
P
If CB happens to be BPA at the time we pick I'm fine with that. It seems as though we agree that this FO certainly isn't locked in to focusing on the CB position however.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: clwb419

I would like to Draft Greg Newsome too. I do believe that CB is our biggest need. If Greedy makes it back, then that would be gravy, but I am not counting him until that time, if and when he is back, and also if /when he shows (a lot of) improvement in off man and zone coverages.

[Linked Image]

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
If CB happens to be BPA at the time we pick I'm fine with that. It seems as though we agree that this FO certainly isn't locked in to focusing on the CB position however.

Exactly. We are drafting the highest player on our board no matter the position. How awesome it is to be able to do that. thumbsup

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Final cuts are going to be quite interesting this year. There are going to be some quality players that won't make this roster.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

It seems like there a good number of corners in this draft that grade out high.

There is a good chance that we will get a shot at a good one.

Joe Woods made his mark as a "dbguy". His scheme is heavy use of nickle and dime.

The guy we end up with will be a guy Woods was thoroughly involved in.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: bonefish

It seems like there a good number of corners in this draft that grade out high.

There is a good chance that we will get a shot at a good one.

Joe Woods made his mark as a "dbguy". His scheme is heavy use of nickle and dime.

The guy we end up with will be a guy Woods was thoroughly involved in.

After the Draft ... I could see us ending up with two outside CBs', another Slot CB/S (Molden; Wildgoose...) , and another Safety, because this years Draft is perfectly suited for filling those positions.

Adding a WR and a C/OG to round out the Draft.

[Linked Image]

eotab #1857777 04/14/21 08:43 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If we draft a corner or DB in this draft... I would lose my noodles. we don't need help here and we have so much quality depth.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm not so sure.

Let's look at safety.

We have JJ3 - excellent but a bunch of question marks after that.
Harrison - seems like he was out with injury as much as he played
Delpit - We don't know how much he has recovered or if he will be ready for teh start of the season
Redwine, Moffitt, and Benton - hoping we don't need to count on any of those 3

How about Cb?

Ward - excellent player but misses 3-5 games every year.
Troy Hill - excellent
Greedy - we don't know how his recovery is going or if he will be ready for the start of the season
After that there's... AJ Green, MJ Stewart, Robert Jackson, and Brian Allen - again, hoping we don't need to count on any of those guys.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/players-roster/

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: oobernoober

Thought I saw that we would probably go to two LBs on the field this year on most plays. I could see CB being a bigger need if that is the case. Else you are right.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
eotab #1857785 04/14/21 09:20 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I hope they use one of the later round picks to draft the best kicker in this draft. And if he doesn't outright win in camp, stash him on the PS. I don't want a legit run at a SB to get derailed over a kicker with the yips.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Jester #1857811 04/15/21 07:47 AM
Legend
Legend

We replaced the safety's.

Mitchell and Kevin Johnson are gone.

We added Hill. Greedy has a injury that is hard to quantify. Ward has missed games.

We need a corner. If Ward or Greedy miss games?

MJ Stewart is average. Depth at corner is really important.

Jester #1857815 04/15/21 08:06 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That is a very accurate summation of the backfield.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

We added Hill. Greedy has a injury that is hard to quantify. Ward has missed games.

If Baker misses games, depth at QB is important Quarterback.

People can't be worried about depth when we still have positions that need to be filled when we are in a 4-3 or goaline.... (LB)

We have our 4-2-5 defense filled.

CB room
Ward - stud
Hill -stud in the Nickle
Williams - likely back to good.
Johnson - stud
Delpit - should be good
Harrison - great backup

LB Room
JunkyTaki - not very good
Walker - 1-year rental - he is the best out of the group and is considered average in the NFL
Jacob Phillips - was not good
Wilson - he is a special teams/depth player at best.
Smith - decent depth

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Just a discussion on CB cause I think its a bigger need than edge rusher and LB...especially when Woods wishes to utilize 2 LB and even 1 LB sets. But LB it depends who is there - look at my signature...that is who I'm pimping for us to get.

But making a discussion on CB in general is a bigger need for us as it is very important with our Scheme.

But if my guy is on the board...bang that table...lol laugh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg

If Baker misses games, depth at QB is important Quarterback.

People can't be worried about depth when we still have positions that need to be filled when we are in a 4-3 or goaline.... (LB)

We have our 4-2-5 defense filled.

CB room
Ward - stud
Hill -stud in the Nickle
Williams - likely back to good.
Johnson - stud
Delpit - should be good
Harrison - great backup

LB Room
JunkyTaki - not very good
Walker - 1-year rental - he is the best out of the group and is considered average in the NFL
Jacob Phillips - was not good
Wilson - he is a special teams/depth player at best.
Smith - decent depth

My comment here is more hoping that you are correct than it is disagreeing with you.

We are "deeper" at QB than at CB. We have the QB position filled with a stud starter and a viable backup veteran...we have - or will have - a developmental guy likely on the PS.

The CB position requires (3) starter-level guys. We have (2) bonafide starters with one likely to miss a few games a year...and a huge injury-unknown at the 3rd spot. The best backup to those (3) guys is MJ Stewart. Beyond MJ, we have a group of developmental guys...with only (1) who played multiple snaps in one Robert Jackson.

If you backup CB like you do QB, we need (3) viable backups...we have (1)...with the starting (3) possibly being really only (2). We easily need (3) more/new guys here who can actually play here.

We have a viable backup for each of the (2) S and DT spots...and actually every other position on the team other than CB. (We could use a deep threat WR if that's not OBJ or DPJ).) This is a deep draft at CB...I think the FO knows that...and knew it as early as last year.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
I hope we play with our eyes on the ball regarding CB style...cause with the pressure we appear to be making will have the QB having to get rid of the ball quick. So tight but facing the QB not having our backs to him if possible.

As far as Clowney. I was talking about "NEED" I don't think it changes our draft plan at all. If our guy is a DE and is there for us to pick so be it. Clowney is a one year deal who knows and you can never have too many edge rushers. Keep everyone fresh without losing quality is premium in this league so Players will not rest on some plays - they go all out every play if they need a blow so be it next up goes all out. I wish our D to be like Atilla the Hun and his all out attack.

Good luck on the new job, congratulations.

Yeah there could be a steal in the 2nd round but CBs should go quick.

Not early but once they start getting picked...they will go often.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

eotab #1858274 04/17/21 07:34 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I like Newsome.

It is obvious that the FO values speed across the board, and specifically back end and edge players....DT's and backers not so much.

DT's and backers can be the lunch pail variety to fill the need.

makes sense to me. You need edge pressure and speed to cover in the NFL. DT's and backers just need to be competent. We will see a slew of 3rd and 4th rounders in those 2 positions. Maybe a 2nd here and there. If one turns in to a great player, good deal, but I don't think we are all that interested in spending big bucks at those positions until some drafted player deserves that..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Financial rule of football.

All NFL teams are looking for younger and cheaper players.

Aging vets with high salaries are always a target and are at risk.

Balancing the cap and payroll is a complicated detailed job.

It requires skill, ingenuity and foresight.

We are lucky to have Berry.

Legend
Legend

If Farley or Newsome are there at 26.

I do not think they will pass on either guy.

We will have good options for DT,LB,WR etc. later in the draft.

I am confident no matter how the draft shakes out. We will have plans and alternate plans in place.

We will come out a better team.

B
Legend
Legend
B

Financial rule of football.

All NFL teams are looking for younger and cheaper players.

Aging vets with high salaries are always a target and are at risk.

Balancing the cap and payroll is a complicated detailed job.

It requires skill, ingenuity and foresight.

We are lucky to have Berry.

We are. I would also include Depo in that when it comes to the decisions that take place this time of year. Berry is driving the car and ends up deciding which road to take, depo gives him the road map with the best road to take and a few alternates.

I guess I give Depo some due because early on he took a lot of flack when people were bunched up about "Moneyball". A lot of what he brings happens in the months after the season until the draft. After that is it more about the planning for the 22 season. I think he is mostly working a season or two ahead.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think when he first got here the evaluations on Depo were correct. His first years here were nothing but stripping the Browns down to the studs. That is pretty much money ball without adding talent at a reasonable cost which money ball is supposed to do.. The only real difference is they couldn't win anything by employing that strategy. So actually, it seems he played money ball much better when he was involved in baseball. For the most part the drafts sucked too.

Here's the catch. Smart people can learn and grow. Most FO's around the league never employ the patience to allow that to happen. I don't believe for one second that Depo was prepared to build an NFL team when he got here. I do however believe that as time has gone on he has grown into the job and I'm glad Haslam stuck with him.

#gmstrong
eotab #1859672 04/25/21 03:00 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Since 2013 and the Haslems Bought the team the Browns have used 6 of 16, of their first two selections in drafts, on the DB's.
That's 37.5 percent, much higher than DL/DE 4 or 16, 25%

OL-2 of 16, 12.5%, Qb,-2 or 15 12.5%, 1 WR. and 1. LB, at 6.25% each.

That's top 2 selection, by position in a draft per year since 2013.

If the Browns take 2 db's with their top 2 selections as you mentioned, that would be 8 or 18 picks on DB.
44.44% A bit heavey imo.

-------

I'm coming around to One Cornerback being taken, but I'm not a big fan of Greg Newsome II as that pick.

I came to ask,
" What are the top 4 options for the Browns at Corner if it has to be Corner with 26th- ish. overall,
and assuming that 2(Two!), of the top corners have already been selected before the Browns pick.

You've provided Greg Newsome II, (he was the pick in the locked on daily, mock where they called cities, and Nathan Zegura picked for Cleveland.)

I'm looking for 3 more options,

Who are the top 4 options at Cornerback, at 26th only, to fit in the Browns' system,
assuming that pick #26 has to be a cornerback.

(And 2 corners, +2 Safeties go in the top 25).

1. Option 1, Greg Newsome II, (Seems like a true zone guy not talked about as a tough cover corner, a mite bit small for me to worry on his longevity, that you'd want, for investing a 1st round pick. (No Way I believe he's the BPA. Looks too fragile/unimposing in the photo.)

2.?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
eotab #1859680 04/25/21 03:15 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Newsome would be a great pick at #26, I hope he is there, I watch Big Ten Football more than any other conference, and I will tell Pat Fitzgerald coaches great Defense, NW was the top Defense in the Nation when they played OSU, and the best player on that Defense was Newsome ...

T
Legend
Legend
T

Yikes truth is.
MJ Stewart is probably head+ better than 9 out of 10 options at Cb in this draft, not named Horn or Surtain.
This seems the worst Cb group in history.
OH MY Lord.
Maybe Covid ruined matchups.

Stokes 1.
Tyson Campbell 2. a.

I want to reach for Farley, I want to reach for the guy who may never be able to suit up, because the off chance he could, he at least looks like an NFL solid, but there's not even the off expectation he would suit up.

There is NOBody!

I can't I can't I can't

They All Lack anything that makes you want to draft them as a player. In round 1, 2, mostly at all.
FULL STOP!

Think. Handing Gordon Ramsey an uncooked meal, on one of his television shows.

( And I had the, "I like Corners' hat on. frown)

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I think Jaycee Horn is the only Cb to really really love in this draft as a player add.

Patrick Surtain is a slightly, (very tiny bit) limited, pretty good, yearly, round 1 top 15 Cb and a chance to help a team.

So.
Option 1. Tyson Campbell Cb. Georgia, 6'2, 185, looks young, I think he's 20. looks raw, but looks like he has "it".
I don't care if he doesn't fit the system at all, There's NObody, worth taking at #26, if you want a corner at 26, you take HIM, and teach him your system.

Option 1. (they all have to be 1, because it's #26,) Eric Stokes, Cb Georgia, the other corner. 6'1 185.

Steady cover corner, "the pick"

Then Greg Newsome II, a scheme fit maybe, but
prolly the 12-25 bpa, at that point,
(Glass shoulder pads, good luck with that.) banghead

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
Newsome would be a great pick at #26, ...

Not even a great pick at 54.

I'd rather have Zaven Collins, ( I don't sweat the extra 10, nor even more pounds)
and An OL at 59.

If Creed Humphrey, OC Oklahoma, is there at #59, That could be ok.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The following draft analysis contains a tad more objective, thoughtful and thorough evaluation of Newsome...beyond just not liking him.
Link

Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern – NFL Draft Player Profile
Northwestern cornerback Greg Newsome is widely viewed as an NFL Draft sleeper, but his play warrants a reputation beyond even that.

ByIan CummingsPublishedMarch 10, 2021
Greg Newsome II, CB, Northwestern - NFL Draft Player Profile
What's in this article? Click to show
Northwestern cornerback Greg Newsome II emerged as an NFL Draft sleeper in 2020. However, his reputation hasn’t yet elevated beyond that threshold. It’s time we change that. Newsome has the name recognition of a sleeper but the traits and production of an eventual impact starter at the NFL level. What makes Newsome a prospect worthy of such a reputation?

Get the PFN 2021 NFL Draft Guide!
The free PFN 2021 NFL Draft Guide includes scouting reports from Tony Pauline, a big board with over 850 players, team fits, sleepers, and more. Click here to download for free!

Greg Newsome II NFL Draft Profile
Height: 6’0 1/4″
Weight: 192 pounds
Position: Cornerback
School: Northwestern
Current Year: Junior

Tony Pauline’s Greg Newsome Scouting Report
Positives: Nice-sized corner with a terrific feel for coverage. Feisty, mixes it up with receivers, and competes defending the pass. Quick flipping his hips in transition, fluid pedaling in reverse, and rarely challenged by opponents. Quick to read and diagnose, instinctive, and gets his head back around to locate the ball. Possesses a nice move to the throw and solid ball skills.

Featured | NFL Draft Prospects 2021: Pauline’s updated big board, player rankings

Negatives: Possesses average long-playing speed and does not play to his forty time.

Analysis: Newsome was a terrific cornerback at Northwestern the past two seasons and has the skill to start at the next level. Speed is a concern, though Newsome should be able to play in bump-and-run or even zone.

Greg Newsome Player Profile
Greg Newsome made clear that football was his future from an early age. The future Northwestern cornerback played part of his high school career at the famed IMG Academy in Bradenton, Florida, amassing 2 interceptions and 15 pass deflections in his time there. By his senior year, Newsome was 6-foot-0, boasting a long frame with impressive potential.

Newsome was a three-star prospect in the 2018 recruiting class. He received offers from Power 5 schools such as Iowa, Illinois, Syracuse, Minnesota, and Boston College. However, at just 167 pounds, his weight prevented him from earning the attention of more prestigious schools.

Nevertheless, Newsome did receive an enticing offer from an up-and-coming school in his state — the Northwestern Wildcats, coached by Pat Fitzgerald. Seeing what was growing in Northwestern, Newsome chose the Wildcats as his college football destination. From there, a future star began to develop.

Greg Newsome’s career as a Northwestern cornerback
By the time his first season came around, Newsome had already gained an extra inch and packed on 15 pounds. Now listed at 6-foot-1, 182 pounds, he saw early action as a true freshman, playing in six games for the Wildcats. Over that span, the Northwestern cornerback managed to amass 24 total tackles, while also showing off his coverage upside with 4 pass deflections.

In 2019, the next logical progression for Newsome was moving into the starting lineup. Clearly an exceptional talent, Newsome was made a starter as a true sophomore, and the Northwestern coaches reaped early rewards for his promotion.

Newsome started eight of nine games played in 2019, logging 36 total tackles and 11 pass deflections. By now, Newsome was starting to emerge as one of the better cornerbacks in the Big Ten. However, unbeknownst to onlookers, his best was yet to come.

Greg Newsome’s 2020 campaign
Injuries occluded Newsome’s path to production in 2020, but he nevertheless produced, and he produced at one of the highest rates among Big Ten defensive backs. Playing in less than six full games, Newsome was a lockdown cornerback for the Wildcats, accumulating 12 tackles, 9 pass breakups, and the lone interception of his career.

Quarterbacks rarely targeted Newsome, and when they did, they often paid for it. The Northwestern cornerback displayed a penchant for protection against opposing wide receivers. His 2020 play officially put him on the map, earning him first-team All-Big 10 honors.

Unfortunately, Newsome left the Big Ten Championship with a groin injury, but the event did not affect his stock. By then, Newsome had already announced himself as one of the league’s up-and-coming NFL Draft prospects. He opted out of Northwestern’s bowl game, instead choosing to heal and prepare for the 2021 NFL Draft. Now, the next chapter will begin for Newsome, who aims to achieve stardom at the next level.

Analyzing Greg Newsome’s NFL Draft profile
Physical traits are perhaps the most transparent when evaluating prospects. They stand out with relative immediacy, and from there, you can conduct your evaluation with the awareness of a given player’s upside. Greg Newsome’s physical upside stands out right away when watching his tape. At around 6-foot-1, 192 pounds, Newsome is an especially long cornerback. However, more importantly, he has excellent athletic traits to pair with that length.

Having functional mobility is necessary for cornerbacks in the modern NFL, and Newsome couples that mobility with his rangy frame. He’s incredibly twitchy as an athlete, and he’s very abrupt when shooting out of his breaks and closing on the ball.

Newsome’s athleticism
He has the short-range explosiveness to help facilitate searing breaks on in-breaking routes, and he also has the recovery speed to shadow players who try to sneak around him and escape deep up the field. It helps that his hips are surprisingly fluid for his size; he changes direction with uncanny pace and seamlessly transitions into his forward approach upon changing directions.

Newsome’s strong movement ability in the short and intermediate ranges allows him to maintain adequate positioning against wide receivers. When in position, Newsome is similarly impressive. His length naturally gives him a ton of disruption capacity. Furthermore, the Northwestern cornerback has frequently shown he can use that disruption capacity effectively.

He has impressive instincts for timing and elevation at the catch point, and he doesn’t shy away from battles for the ball.

Featured | NFL Rumors & Draft News: 2021 NFL Draft chatter heats up

As if Newsome’s profile wasn’t already enticing enough, he’s also smart for his age. Only a true junior, Newsome has impressive processing speed, reaction quickness, and route recognition ability. He’s also versatile, with traits that translate well in press-man, off-man, and zone alignments.

What are the potential concerns with Greg Newsome?
Overall, Newsome’s physical profile and tangible ball skills give him a solid floor and exciting upside to build on. However, there are some mitigating factors to take into account.

On one hand, Newsome’s frame gives him the length to be disruptive. Yet, being 192 pounds, he is noticeably lean and doesn’t quite have the density that other cornerbacks have.

He still approaches the game with inspiring proactivity and a physical mindset. However, his lacking frame limits his upside when imposing his physicality on opponents. This shows up at times in pass coverage, but it’s more prevalent in run defense. There, Newsome doesn’t always have the power necessary to disengage blockers, and his tackling success comes more from his length than from his play strength.

Additionally, Newsome’s durability is a concern, as he’s never played a full season and only played six games in 2020 due to injury.

Featured | Platte’s First Round 2021 NFL Mock Draft | Pro Football Network

Furthermore, while Newsome is an exceptional athlete, his deep speed remains an unchecked box. He wasn’t burned — or even targeted — very often in 2020, but he can be a little leggy when transitioning vertically. Additionally, the lacking sample size of deep reps naturally makes his long speed an area of uncertainty.

Personally, I don’t think it will be an issue at the NFL level, and Newsome’s pro day confirmed this. Among other numbers, he logged a 4.39 40-yard dash, a 40-inch vertical, and a 123-inch broad jump.

Greg Newsome’s best fits in the 2021 NFL Draft
Newsome may need to add more weight to his frame in the NFL, and he’ll also have to prove that he can stay on the field consistently. However, aside from his weight, there aren’t many areas of concern with the Northwestern cornerback’s game, and there are many reasons to be excited. Newsome is an excellent athlete with excellent length and ball skills, and he’s also smart, heady, and shows flashes of proactive physicality.

Newsome’s injuries bear weight, and in a clustered cornerback group early on, those injuries might push Newsome down the board. Nevertheless, while Newsome missed games every year, he never suffered a major injury.

The nature of his injuries provides some comfort because he doesn’t have a major injury in his past that might sap his athleticism. The trend of injuries is concerning, but perhaps with an NFL training regimen and more work on his frame, he can elevate past those concerns. And once he reaches a point where he’s consistently available, he can be a high-level boundary starter.

Which teams best mesh with Newsome’s skill set?
Given Newsome’s versatility, he’s a fairly universal fit for teams that might need a boundary starter in the near or immediate future. Because he’ll need to refine his frame a bit, he may be better served going to a team that has some existing depth at cornerback. However, Newsome’s skill set should be conducive to early production, regardless.

Greg Newsome’s range in the 2021 NFL Draft is dependent on how teams view his injury history. With his tantalizing physical upside and innate instincts, there is a chance he could go as early as No. 14, to the Minnesota Vikings, or No. 16, to the Arizona Cardinals. His injuries could push him down the board, but as of now, it seems likely that he goes on the first night. If he lasts into Round 2, he won’t last long beyond that.

In that early-round range, teams like the Colts, Bills, 49ers, Cardinals, and Broncos all project as excellent fits for Newsome. But even beyond that, he has a skill set that should be enticing to most teams in need of more security at cornerback. The Northwestern cornerback has largely been slept on throughout the offseason thus far. That needs to change.

Newsome is a complete cornerback prospect, with all the traits necessary to produce and thrive in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
After Surtain and Horn my next two prospects are Newsome and Farely.Followed by Melifonwu and Asante Samuels.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
Additionally, Newsome’s durability is a concern, as he’s never played a full season and only played six games in 2020 due to injury.

While I normally dislike such absolute statements, I'm inclined to think this statement would push him way down our board. We have a double-check next to 'durability concerns' in our secondary. I would hate to add to it.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Greg Newsome II

Link Copied to Clipboard