Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1860008 04/28/21 08:23 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
We have plenty of talk about trading down and out of the 26 pick, and we are no stranger to doing that for picks.

This thread is the flip side for dawgs. Would you trade up? For whom? How far? How much would you be willing to give?

I ask because we have real talent on the roster so we are not desperate to fill holes like in the last two years. But the remaining weak positions are not desperate , but become more critical, especially considering injuries that haven't returned. I invite any "never move uppers" also. I have favored this (and I just watched Draft Day twice LOLetc. this week) getting higher caliber players and fewer bullets. School me. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
I think I am very happy sitting at #26 and seeing who falls to us. There are multiple players that can fall to us and be either BPA or BPA at a position of importance/need.

Draft is deep at WR - which isn't a position of need but it's a position that if we find a good one gives us more options with big contracts for OBJ and JL coming due soon ... Drafting up means losing the collateral to spend a speculative pick on a WR.

With that said - I keep seeing JOK fall to about the 18-21 range in the draft.

Looking at draft value boards - that's about a 900 pt value (pick 18) ... I'd serously consider trading with Miami. To make it work I would need something like:

- CLE Gives Up:26 (700pts) and 59 (310pts) and 110 (70pt value). 1080 pt total.
Miami Gives Up:18 (900pts) and 81 (185pts). 1085 pt total.

If I am Miami I consider it because it gives you 5 picks in the first 59 overall. If I am the Browns I only do it if I can recoup an extra third round pick after giving up that 2nd rounder.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

Last edited by mgh888; 04/28/21 08:38 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
M
Legend
Legend
M
In the first round, if it's not for a QB, don't trade up.

Stay where we are at 26 or trade down.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't think I would trade up for a 1st round player in this draft. I could see some sense in trading up in a later round.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mgh888 #1860028 04/28/21 10:51 AM
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I think I am very happy sitting at #26 and seeing who falls to us. There are multiple players that can fall to us and be either BPA or BPA at a position of importance/need.

Draft is deep at WR - which isn't a position of need but it's a position that if we find a good one gives us more options with big contracts for OBJ and JL coming due soon ... Drafting up means losing the collateral to spend a speculative pick on a WR.

With that said - I keep seeing JOK fall to about the 18-21 range in the draft.

Looking at draft value boards - that's about a 900 pt value (pick 18) ... I'd serously consider trading with Miami. To make it work I would need something like:

- CLE Gives Up:26 (700pts) and 59 (310pts) and 110 (70pt value). 1080 pt total.
Miami Gives Up:18 (900pts) and 81 (185pts). 1085 pt total.

If I am Miami I consider it because it gives you 5 picks in the first 59 overall. If I am the Browns I only do it if I can recoup an extra third round pick after giving up that 2nd rounder.

https://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Trade-Value-Chart.asp

I don't see Miami doing that unless the player they want will confidently be available at 26. Replace #81 with a future 4th rounder or maybe this years #156 and I think they'd be more willing. Just my opinion.

I'd also rather keep our 2nd rounder - again, just my opinion. So I'd start with 26, 89, and 91 (700+145+136=981) for 18 and 2022 4th rounder (900+ somewhere between 34 and 82).

I'd prefer we don't move up.

Last edited by clwb419; 04/28/21 10:52 AM.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I won't meet all the prerequisites outlined in your post but only some.

I'm not a huge fan of trading up. It's not as if we're in dire need. Giving up draft capital for the future rather than acquiring draft capital for the future isn't a road I like to often see traveled. But as I've said in trade down scenarios there is no one size fits all answer in every draft. Each draft presents its own unique set of circumstances.

You either trust your big board or have to admit you have the wrong people creating it. You either feel your scouting and FO staff have the ability to accurately build your big board or not. If you do, you live by it.

As such if a player you have rated at say #15 for example, drops to say #22 for example, the cost of moving up four spots at that point in the first round is not cost prohibitive. It wouldn't take much in the way of draft assets to move up those four spots to acquire a player you have rated quite a bit higher than any player you could see being available at your current drafting order of #26.

That's the point at which I could see a trade up scenario. Otherwise I would find it very hard to consider it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
It all depends on how your team's big board is stacked. We pick at #26 but maybe Berry and the scouting department have only 23 players with 1st round grades on, if so maybe you trade up a few spots to acquire one of those players.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
We have plenty of talk about trading down and out of the 26 pick, and we are no stranger to doing that for picks.

This thread is the flip side for dawgs. Would you trade up? For whom? How far? How much would you be willing to give?

I ask because we have real talent on the roster so we are not desperate to fill holes like in the last two years. But the remaining weak positions are not desperate , but become more critical, especially considering injuries that haven't returned. I invite any "never move uppers" also. I have favored this (and I just watched Draft Day twice LOLetc. this week) getting higher caliber players and fewer bullets. School me. thumbsup

Yes, we are not in the team rebuild phases ... Go get your guy that you coveted if there is a run on that (CB) position group, but we are only talking about moving up less than ten selections.

I don't think that you aquire extra picks in the 3rd and 4th round just to add more players.

[Linked Image]

T
Legend
Legend
T
Last evening my thinking changed again, as I looked again at Travis Etienne.

I can't say that Travis Etienne is going to be the NFL's all time leading rusher in yards and touchdowns,

What I can say is If he is,

that all the signs, and symptoms of an all time rushing leader are right there in front of your face.

----------
And what it means to me.
I don't think I ever saw such a game changer as Tony Dorsett Rb. Dallas cowboys, was in about 1980,
cause of my age,

so.
Barry Sanders, Thurman Thomas, and Emmitt Smith tried to be what they could but, I still don't think any one player held that value, in my mind.
Dorsett was a whole game changer, you can throw the whole draft out, 3 of em.

built in me, a reminder, if you ever see one come along again, it's
really really really really, really special.

All these Rb's have the same height and weight too.
Alvin Kamara, Ladanian Tomlinson, Kareem Hunt, Tyreek Hill, Barry Sanders, Emmitt Smith, Thurman Thomas,
and Travis Etienne, Rb Clemson.

Now, I can't stress to you the Weight: that finding the next Tony Dorsett, (in my mind), would mean to a football franchise, but I would say,

It's to a point,
I'd say I'd trade Baker, Myles, and Ward, and sign with less than 5 seconds thought,

And then run to the media to advertise the deal because I'd fleeced them,

Like the all time rushing leader,
Now.
Nobody can be so stupid to say that Travis Etienne is going to be the all time anything,
But what I do want to say is, if he ends up there, that all the signs you would be looking for, at this point, are present.

Right?

Eh, Travis Etienne is going to be a very very special player,

May be draft fever.
May be I don't care which way it goes, but ^that's what I believe, and that means he's worth trading up for,
and, if he were that special,
I think the 49ers, Cowboys, and steelers owners, and others, would be all over recognizing.

How are you going to get above everyone else, you'd have to go for pick #1 overall, and whatever pick is on the clock until you get the chance.

It's a White Whale, a captain Ahab, whale book,
you break your whole ship trying to catch it,
if it turns out to be a minnow, then it was a gamble.

(It's a total game changer, it's like a powerball lotto ticktet that's a winner, when all other discussion is on what career that pays 150 grand a year is the correct choice. Once you see this, toss everything else out.)

Or dismiss this. (Dismissal means making a statement that he's NOT going to be the all time NFL rushing leader.
But it can't be both ways.

If he is, then it's the white whale, it's what one spends all time searching for.
I'd take it over, Tom Brady.
I'd take it over Tom Brady and Bill Bellichic.
I'd take it over Bellichic and Parcells.
Even over Montanna and Seifert and Walsh.

Eh, Tony Dorsett was a special player, and
If I ever saw the next one I'd not pass up on him.

Ya I'm wired wrong.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 04/28/21 02:59 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Would you like a reference to a good electrician?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
You okay?

All Pro
All Pro
Hard to say. 1st round grades for me (though Mac Jones only gets in because he is a QB):

QB; 5
TE: 1
WR: 4
OT: 4
IOL: 2 (I prefer AVT at guard)
DE: 3 (sorry Oweh fans)
DT: 1
CB: 4
S: 1

That's 25 (though some of though guys I'm not as high on as others).

Depending on who is there I would trade up to Indy at 21 for our second 4th an 6th (our 6th and 7th round draft picks are garbage anyway...seriously, 257 (7th round) is later than anyone has been selected in ages).

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
No argument on your response. But if your "right people" can acquire a BPA which dropped beyond expectations, I am willing to bundle a few of marginal picks and roll the dice for a better player. I agree with where you might move up, it is not out of the question, and it depends on how the draft shapes up and what your "desperate needs" are. We are not as needful today as we were with Farmer forward IMO.

Thanks, Pit! thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Hope you are OK. Gonna read it again a time or two. Quite a read. thumbsup

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
So you seem to like most of our depth as I read it. I share that notion. brownie

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Dorsett couldn't carry Barry Sanders jock strap...

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Jeez Throw, What the hell are you talking about.What are you going to do with Chubb and Hunt, cut them? Thank God you are NOT our GM.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Whoa x 2. Don't assume.
Nobody would have to be cut. frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
You could shake it out, and trade or waive other offensive or defensive, or special teams players from the bottom part of the roster.

edit: (Thank God you were not the GM of the 1988 NBA/Olympic Basketball dream team.)

Last edited by THROW LONG; 04/28/21 08:27 PM.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I wish we could trade up and get JOK for the right price.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If you take 2019 and 2020,
12 out of 34 games, 35.29 percent, one of the two Running backs did not play in the game.

The Offense is set up to utilize two runningbacks, why wouldn't they want a top 2nd option for those 12 games.

G
Rookie
Rookie
G
Would you consider offering OBJ to the Dolphins, possibly with a 3 rd rounder, for the 6th pick to get Micah Parsons ?

New to the board BTW. Been lurking.

GCDog #1860133 04/29/21 02:07 AM
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: GCDog
Would you consider offering OBJ to the Dolphins, possibly with a 3 rd rounder, for the 6th pick to get Micah Parsons ?

Of course. But there is also no way the Dolphins are trading the sixth pick for an expensive receiver coming of a blown out knee.

Legend
Legend
J/C

I think this draft is a bit top heavy (like 6-7 players) and then has a lot of “solid” type players (like picks 15-40 could all be interchanged depending on need)

So I think trading up in the 2nd might be more likely

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
K
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
K
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I wish we could trade up and get JOK for the right price.

That's the exact player I would go up for.

If he's still there at around 18, we need to start calling.

Hopefully we keep 59. Utilize those 4 3rd and 4th rounders.

Legend
Legend
It's very top heavy. There are maybe 15 first rounders in this draft, but there are a TON of guys with 2nd round skillsets.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
It's very top heavy. There are maybe 15 first rounders in this draft, but there are a TON of guys with 2nd round skillsets.

I've noticed that as well. The "second tier" seems pretty loaded this year. Could actually turn out to be a pretty strong draft across the board.

So trade down into the same talent pool you're in anyway, pick up another 2nd for next year (anything less, I probably don't do it). Then increase your odds in that "pool" by packaging a 3rd and 4th and moving back in.

You've probably improved your odds of snagging at least two solid starters, only have to burn one 4th round pick to pull it off, and received a high-value 2nd round pick for next year.

Obvious disclaimer being: If a player you've targeted as first tier talent, near the top of your board, is still there at 26 -- go on and get your man.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1860175 04/29/21 11:09 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Sounds like a plan to me since I have been saying similar things.. 2nd next year sounds wonderful.

We had people crying over the Richardson deal...wait until we lose guys like Landy, OBJ and Bitonio.

We need to gain some decent replacement players this year and next..

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/C

I think this draft is a bit top heavy (like 6-7 players)

Are you willing to name any 3?

GCDog #1860290 04/29/21 03:37 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T

No way would the Browns give up OBJ and a pick for just one pick.

For instance, the Browns are not a needy team.

I'd bet,
OBJ for a 1st round pick, even the pick at #18, this year, and the Dolphins first round pick in 2022 straight up, OBJ for 2 first rounders,
would really peak the Browns interest.

P
Legend
Legend
P
saywhat

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

No way would the Browns give up OBJ and a pick for just one pick.

For instance, the Browns are not a needy team.

Sorry Throw, won't happen. No one would give even one 1st for OBJ. Might get a 3rd or 4th for him.

I'd bet,
OBJ for a 1st round pick, even the pick at #18, this year, and the Dolphins first round pick in 2022 straight up, OBJ for 2 first rounders,
would really peak the Browns interest.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
saywhat

Ya that's crazy isn't it. rofl
No way the Browns would take less capital than it cost to bring OBJ to town.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawg Duty

Sorry Throw, won't happen. No one would give even one 1st for OBJ. Might get a 3rd or 4th for him.

Whoa! The Browns,

Gave up a 1st round pick, and Eric Zeitler a top level OL in this league.
And Jabrill Peppers a young safety causing BuKu Turnover plays and playing much better than he has since he went to the Giants,
For OBJ, ... and they threw in Olivier Vernon to, but we all know who the real trade was for. thumbsup

Moving on.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
saywhat

Ya that's crazy isn't it. rofl
No way the Browns would take less capital than it cost to bring OBJ to town.

The problem is that you need another team to agree to that in order for a deal to happen. OBJ's value is lower now than it ever has been before. Dude is coming off a pretty major injury after having been hampered by various injuries the previous years, is super expensive, and hasn't shown the best performance hte past few years (when he was on the field).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OBJ is going nowhere this year.

P
Legend
Legend
P

I hope not he will a big part of our SB run smile

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I just hope we stay at #26 and get a great player preferably a defensive player CB DT Edge the only LB I would like in Rd. 1 is JOK ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
T
Legend
Legend
T

Two ways to read that. Ouch! banghead

DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft 2021: Trade Up?

Link Copied to Clipboard