Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I was looking at the roster (mostly for # of players per position) earlier today and came away with some thoughts that I would share.

CB

With the Newsome pick, we now have (8) CBs on the roster. I imagine we will take (8)-(9) to the 53. Two of these guys essentially didn't play last year (Brian Allen & AJ Green) and one guy's name is Robert Jackson. Another guy missed last season with nerve damage in his shoulder.

WR

With the Schwartz pick, we now have (11) WRs on the roster - plus two more listed as UFAs the moment. I expect we will take (6) to the 53.

LB

With the JOK pick, we now have (8) LBs on the roster. I imagine we will take (6) to the 53.

IOL

Before day 3, we have (10) IOL on the roster. I look at Forbes and Gossett as day 3 picks that we've had on the team long enough to (at least) not-yet-have released them...plus Dunn & Hance who looked darn good at the end of last year. That's (4) G's who weren't in TC last year. I can't imagine we need to look at an 11th guy unless Harris isn't going to cut it at C and none of the "new" (4) guys can play C.

IDL

Before day 3, we have (4) IDL guys on the roster. One is Sheldon Day. IDL rivals CB for most-thin depth on the team. I hope we draft (1) AND bring back SR.

TE /RB / QB

I'm not bothering with looking at the numbers at these positions. I certainly don't see a need to do anything here right now...especially after seeing the CB / IDL "depth" and the following DE look.

OT

Before day 3, we have (5) OTs on the roster...and (2) are clearly "developmental" guys in Taylor & Senat (Senat has a few years in the league.) And Hubbard. We may have some need here but I'm not sure what we could find on day 3 that would be much better. Feels like a cut, vet signing at some point.

DE

Before day 3, we have (7) guys on the roster. Curtis Weaver is the quasi-5th Rd, new guy who we've had for a season. That list of (7) includes the non-musician Joe Jackson and one Cameron Malveaux. If not for CB and IDL depth, this could be considered one of our "thinner" position groups. I have a funny feeling that Vernon will get a look when he's healed up and re-habbed.

S

Before day 3, we have (6) guys on the roster - not one is named Andrew. Two essentially didn't play last year. DePodesta has stated that JOK is a LB and not a S. Delpit is the quasi-2nd Rd new guy. For some reason, I still like Redwine. It feels to me like we still need a true FS prospect.

To my mind, we need a CB x 2, IDL and S out of day 3..and it looks like there might be some decent choices available.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Nice breakdown. Thanks

The more things change the more they stay the same.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft The Roster Numbers Game Before Rd #4

Link Copied to Clipboard