Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1862238 05/02/21 09:10 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last year year Andrew Berry made an assessment of the roster. His evaluation was made clear.

Baker needs help. We have to fix the OL and give Baker protection and tools.

Andrew recognized that he could not address the entire team and he formulated a two year plan.

This year he went through the same type of assessment. He recognized that the failures of 2020 were mostly in the defensive backfield.

Joe Woods was very limited in what he could do because the personnel on the defensive side of the ball.

Andrew fixed that.

JJ3, Walker, Hill, Newsome, Koramoah. The return of Greedy and Delpit. He also brought back Malcomb Smith.

He wanted better pressure on the quarterback to assist the the defensive backfield.

He brought in Clowney and Takk McKinley. He added Malik Jackson to replace Ogunjobi. Knowing this would get more push in the middle. Billings opted out last year. He will return. And they believe Elliott will contribute.

In the draft we added 5 defensive players and a undrafted free agent DT who was considered at least a mid round pick.
=================================================

So, Joe Woods now has players. In fact he has extremely versatile players. Players custom picked for the scheme he wants to run. A base 4-2-5. With options all over the place and depth.

We went from a suspect defense with glaring holes to what could be an exceptional defense.

Joe should be celebrating today.

Now we as fans will be able to really see what kind of defensive coordinator we have.

bonefish #1862244 05/02/21 09:37 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
In fairness, we should give him at least 2 seasons to evaluate his work unless he’s completely inept

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
SaintDawg #1862248 05/02/21 09:47 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This is season two.

You have to coach what you have to work with. Even though he was limited last year. You are still the coordinator. You have to deliver.

This year it is not just the draft but veteran free agents.

We will have a full camp with no covid.

Come opening day we should hit the ground running.

For me I am super excited to watch this defense.

The front four should bring much better pressure. We have added much needed speed and versatility all over the defense.

We will have a mix of experience and youth on the back end.

I expect results.

bonefish #1862252 05/02/21 10:07 AM
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed Bone. I feel Joe Woods is a very good DC. He could only do so much with the players he had last year not to mention guys in and out of the line-up with injuries. With those problems then you add in Covid I think he did a real good job.

SaintDawg #1862254 05/02/21 10:35 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
In fairness, we should give him at least 2 seasons to evaluate his work unless he’s completely inept

If he was completely inept we would not have made it to the playoffs

Joe Thomas #73
bonefish #1862277 05/02/21 12:31 PM
Legend
Legend
We should be markedly better on defense this year. If it isn’t improved then something is wrong.

Our secondary was the most emphasized unit over the past 3 months. Just like the OL was last year. Heck, maybe even more so.

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1862290 05/02/21 01:11 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
This Defense should be in the top half of the league at least, with the personnel we have we should be a top 5/10 Defense ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
bonefish #1862305 05/02/21 01:59 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I disagree with your notion that "you still have to deliver". I wouldn't expect a NASCAR driver to compete driving a 1959 Ford Edsel. wink

You can't run a system without the talent to implement it.

This FO knew that when you have a young QB, giving him the protection and weapons he needs to succeed are your top priority. We've both been fans of the NFL long enough to see QB's ruined due to the pack of protection, talent and stability of a coaching staff. If Baker weren't so mentally strong it could have easily happened here. We are very fortunate he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns. As such last off season was used to invest in that accomplishment. And a great job they did at it.

This FO knew Woods wasn't being given the talent to run his D. Week after week I saw fans dogging Woods because they expected him to win the race with an Edsel. It was frustrating. I would use the old saying, "I'll bet you dollars to donuts" that this FO gave Joe Woods a mulligan last season, as they should.

But with the price of donuts these days that old expression doesn't carry the same weight as it used to. wink

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
SaintDawg #1862314 05/02/21 02:44 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O

I think defenses take longer to gel than offenses in a new scheme. We're going to have a lot of guys on D who were not here last year, so I think this season is more about betting better than holding Woods feet to the fire. Next year neither side should have any excuses like that.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
OldColdDawg #1862317 05/02/21 02:54 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

I think defenses take longer to gel than offenses in a new scheme. We're going to have a lot of guys on D who were not here last year, so I think this season is more about betting better than holding Woods feet to the fire. Next year neither side should have any excuses like that.

Interesting take. I would think that would be the O where there is more precision and timing involved.

In general, I don't agree with the notion of be a great D or bust for Woods.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1862337 05/02/21 04:35 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I do think we can safely expect a top 10 D with this roster at this point. If we are much below that, it will reflect poorly on woods. Of course we have to factor in the injury bug when looking at our coordinators.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 05/02/21 04:36 PM.

bonefish #1862341 05/02/21 05:03 PM
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, should, could, all those words. Like the consistency of Coach S...need to get better, and work. Last year is gone, we hope to improve, but every team on our schedule will be gunning for us...especially Pittsburgh. It's great to have better players on D...on paper...Coach them up Woods, we Cleveland backers want at least a repeat....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
PitDAWG #1862351 05/02/21 06:19 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

All the crap that happened last year with injuries, covid, zoom meetings, players lost etc.

Stefanski never wavered. "Embrace the suck." "Find a way to win."

Of course they knew all issues. They knew the limitations of the roster. They knew in the Jets game all the receivers were out. The playoff win with no head coach.

You can not give in to adversity. If you do. You will forever look for excuses.

However, when the season ends. They take into account the realities. Life is often not fair. But you are still judged by how you handle those adversities.

OldColdDawg #1862352 05/02/21 06:22 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
I do think we can safely expect a top 10 D with this roster at this point. If we are much below that, it will reflect poorly on woods. Of course we have to factor in the injury bug when looking at our coordinators.

In general I can't disagree. We should be better. I just don't know that I would quantify it with a ranking. Lot's of things can impact a ranking that aren't necessarily a reflection of the job of the coordinator.

But sure, if after losses we can look back and it was clearly a result of poor D, then that's a problem.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
bonefish #1862363 05/02/21 07:00 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
You have to coach what you have to work with. Even though he was limited last year. You are still the coordinator. You have to deliver.

maybe he did deliver.. maybe he exceeded the talent that we had.. to "deliver" doesn't mean to be the best, it means to make the whole greater than the sum of it's parts.. maybe given what he had to work with, we actually did better than we should have.

yebat' Putin
DCDAWGFAN #1862375 05/02/21 08:52 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Exactly.

That is precisely what I meant to say.

"However, when the season ends. They take into account the realities."

During the season. Forge ahead.

bonefish #1862405 05/03/21 07:41 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I'm glad no one took my comments to be divisive. I'm trying to temper my expectations. Maybe it's the BFS Battered Fan Syndrome?

First off.. I think it's easier for a D to come together than it is for an O. Every year at training camp the D is wayyy ahead of the offense.

We Do Have vets at critical places.. Garrett, Ward, The entire Oline, the kickers, and most importantly.. finally! the QB is playing with last years coach, coordinators and receivers.

We lost a key vet in Richardson. We have rookies all thru this defense. Albeit they are highly rated draft picks.

Having said all that.. I expect playoffs. I have my expectations but, at the same time, I'm going to give this years rooks the better part of the season and evaluate how they are doing.

One thing I expect. We kick pittsburghs ass both games.

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
DCDAWGFAN #1862413 05/03/21 08:44 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

maybe he did deliver.. maybe he exceeded the talent that we had.. to "deliver" doesn't mean to be the best, it means to make the whole greater than the sum of it's parts.. maybe given what he had to work with, we actually did better than we should have.

It's pretty safe to say that the entire team did that last year.. Lots of barriers to overcome and they did pretty well.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
bonefish #1862431 05/03/21 10:28 AM
M
Legend
Legend
M
I wasn't impressed with Woods last year. There were games where I felt he didn't call good plays. But the D had many set backs - and I always thought our LB core was trash and after injuries to the secondary, the secondary was definitely poor. If anything a couple of the LB's surprised me with their play (and Phillips played faster than advertised).

That all said - I give Woods a clean slate and am happy to 'wait and see'. I don't have a good or a bad feel at the moment. I just want to see what he can do with a roster that has a chance to be good and will judge him based on this year (lord willing that we don't get decimated by injuries again).

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1862434 05/03/21 10:39 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
I was disappointed in Woods last year. You always hope that a coordinator who's been dealt a rough hand can maybe surprise you. That said, his part of the roster was what it was, and then it was made worse by key injuries and then having to juggle people in his secondary.

A lot of new faces in the D this year, but our talent-light D last year was at its best in the beginning of the year, IIRC. He's got a big job to get his new guys all on the same page, but if things are still out of sync after a few games I'm going to get real worried really fast.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
oobernoober #1862439 05/03/21 11:15 AM
Legend
Legend
I was disappointed in our defense, but not in Woods.

When half of the starting secondary you were counting on to hold together the duct tape boat that was your defense go down for the year, it's tough.

This defense is predicated on coverage and pressure. We lost the ability to cover effectively, and then we had real trouble getting consistent pressure. Vernon missed time, Myles missed time, even when we had both of them we still had to rotate them and when both weren't out there, we could very easily struggle to get pressure. We couldn't cover RB's & TE's because of poor LBer play. We trade for Harrison to bolster the injured secondary, but then he misses time. It was just a metric butt-ton of "one step forward, one step back". The D just didn't have the wheels to do anything.

As for calls, I can't poo-poo that stuff. We don't have enough info to judge those decisions. At best, we could look at down & distance and what was called, but unless we are also looking at what personnel packages they were sending out, what their tendencies in situations are, and other factors, we're forming an opinion on too little information. I mean, to put it into fan terms, unless you've ever played Madden head-to-head with another human and NEVER called the wrong defense for what ended up getting ran by the other player, there isn't much room to be critical. It happens. Sometimes, it is you taking a gamble to try to create a big play, sometimes, you just get out-guessed, and sometimes your call was fine but it doesn't get executed well at all.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

bonefish #1862476 05/03/21 03:52 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am pretty sure that based on what I have read, if we don't make the playoffs, lose in the playoffs, or don't win the Super bowl, it will be Joe Woods fault.

Does that sum it up?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Ballpeen #1862478 05/03/21 04:13 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Not from me.

Last year you do all you can with what you got.

This year you do the same thing. The difference is talent.

No coordinator should be hung if he does not win it all.

However, win it all is always the goal until the season ends.

For me I want to see what this team does this year in Wood's scheme.

The players signed in free agency and the defensive players drafted. They were brought here to fit what he wants to do.

As we stand today if would seem that he has the players to fully implement his vision.

He wants to have base 4-2-5 defense. Then bring in sub packages.

We now have the corners. JJ3, Delpit,and Harrison give him great flexibility because of their skill sets.

But the guy to me that will tie this all together is Koramoah.

IMO he will be the Defensive ROY. Right guy in the right scheme. I see him as a four down player.

Nobody can guarantee a Super Bowl.

However, Woods has the players now and I am optimistic that we will unleash hell on offenses.

Ballpeen #1862495 05/03/21 05:42 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I am pretty sure that based on what I have read, if we don't make the playoffs, lose in the playoffs, or don't win the Super bowl, it will be Joe Woods fault.

Does that sum it up?

Not heard that from anyone..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Damanshot #1862502 05/03/21 05:56 PM
Legend
Legend
Kind of overstated (and I havena heard that). There's this little matter of, oh, getting your first win in. Folks are talking like the work is done and hand us the SB.

Way too premature. We are all undefeated at this point.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Ballpeen #1862525 05/03/21 08:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

Does that sum it up?

I blame Joe Woods for you writing that.

Browns is the Browns

mgh888 #1862548 05/03/21 10:38 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I wasn't impressed with Woods last year. There were games where I felt he didn't call good plays. But the D had many set backs - and I always thought our LB core was trash and after injuries to the secondary, the secondary was definitely poor. If anything a couple of the LB's surprised me with their play (and Phillips played faster than advertised).

That all said - I give Woods a clean slate and am happy to 'wait and see'. I don't have a good or a bad feel at the moment. I just want to see what he can do with a roster that has a chance to be good and will judge him based on this year (lord willing that we don't get decimated by injuries again).

This is where I largely find myself on Woods as well. I understand the talent deficiencies in the secondary but even so, to me the biggest issue was how often players were out of position. I always thought a guy who's strength is the secondary would have been able to address that more effectively. Signing JJ3 should solve that issue.

For me the biggest issue with the LBers was that they never seemed to have an actual role or defined function.

Some people expected too much, I also think some people expected too little.

Now he has all the necessary pieces. Our defense has speed, talent, and intelligence... I think Woods can put something special together with it.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
bonefish #1862593 05/04/21 09:35 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

When you combine free agency and the draft. Eleven new players on defense. Then add four who did not play last year. Billings, Delpit, Greedy, Weaver.

JJ3, Hill, Walker, Malik Jackson, Clowney, McKinley, Newsome, Koramoah, Togiai, Tony Fields, Richard Leconte.

Then add the five free agents on defense.

This is not adding on or a retool. This is a complete make over.

This is, count them, twenty guys to look at and incorporate into a defensive scheme.

Outside of Myles and Ward a completely different defensive team.

Joe Woods and his defensive staff along with KS have a lot of work to do.

It is a good problem. The additions were made because they needed to be made.

Now Woods must mold them into a unit. The D line will not have much of a problem because they are veterans and the learning curve is small.

However, linebackers and DB's will be more integrated. They will need to learn assignments with the base defensive and all the sub packages. Responsibilities will vary quite a bit in down and distance.

The good thing is the players are very versatile.

Personnel wise the sky is the limit. However, it may take a half a season to really blend.

bonefish #1862594 05/04/21 09:50 AM
Legend
Legend
I think it'll go quicker and smoother than you think.
There are multiple guys in every position group that knows the defense, already.

Delpit & Greedy didn't play, but they were here for camp. They've sat in on the meetings, they've gotten the playbook.

Ward, Ronnie Harrison, Redwine, Moffat, M.J. Stewart ... those guys know the secondary roles and responsibilities.

Takitaki, Mack, Malcolm Smith, Jacob Phillips, Meander.... these guys know the Linebackers roles and responsibilities.

These are all guys that got playing time during the season in this defense, and all of these guys, along with the coaches, will be helping the new guys get in sync with everyone else.

Gustin, Elliot, Garrett.... heck, we might be thinnest on experience in the DLine, but, again, we're getting back Billings and Weaver, too. They have, at the very least, had access to the playbooks and been in on some meetings before they opted-out.

This isn't going to be a fresh install of a foreign and brand new defense. There is a large knowledge base already in place that is going to get guys to hit the ground running.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1862603 05/04/21 10:41 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Good points.

However, playing together is the key and that depends on how fast they figure it out.

oobernoober #1862604 05/04/21 10:45 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Last year we had freaking Sandejo as a starter...enough said. We just didn't have the talent on defense.

I think we have over come that now and by game 8 this D should be amazing.

jmho - Woods is freaking GOOD!

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1862637 05/04/21 01:13 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
Last year we had freaking Sandejo as a starter...enough said. We just didn't have the talent on defense.

It was worse than merely that. Toward the end of the season when covid and injuries were hitting a bit, I distinctly remember hoping Sendejo would be able to play because he was an improvement over what was behind him.

Browns is the Browns

PrplPplEater #1862726 05/04/21 08:57 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Originally Posted By: eotab

It was worse than merely that. Toward the end of the season when covid and injuries were hitting a bit, I distinctly remember hoping Sendejo would be able to play because he was an improvement over what was behind him.

Even during a winning season we find ways to be desperate lol

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
bonefish #1864198 05/14/21 01:04 PM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
PrplPplEater #1864204 05/14/21 01:13 PM
Legend
Legend
SMH
Shaking My Head Loudly! Sandejo was sorry, but he did earn his starts by comparison.

(Memory barf) thumbsdown

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
bonefish #1864252 05/14/21 05:04 PM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We can complain about Sandejo’s play but in the crazy year that was 2020 he had one of the most important abilities that many of our studs didn’t have... availability. Dude is durable.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: 10YrOvernightSuccess
We can complain about Sandejo’s play but in the crazy year that was 2020 he had one of the most important abilities that many of our studs didn’t have... availability. Dude is durable.

Yea, I don't know how he stayed out of the hospital as many times as he was burned.

bonefish #1864300 05/15/21 05:06 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
In my mind this is Woods debut, he had very little to work with.

With that said he is about to change from using duct tape and prayer to build a defense that will be at least functional.

My keys are if Taki-Taki and Wilson are still on the squad then will still suck. Never have I seen worse play from LBer's then these two guys. Missed tackle after missed tackle from a position that has a primary responsibility to tackle.

Philipps needs to improve his coverage skills and he needs to take better angles to the ball. He has it in him to be great if the coaches can get him to improve in these 2 areas will have a stud LB. He has speed and he can tackle. This defense from my perspective is very well positioned to be dominate. This D intends to start Philips and Walker with JOK eventually replacing him as he grows in the defense. I praise the hell out of Berry for bringing in the pieces to build a dominate defense.

It all really comes down to what kind of a teacher developer of talent is Woods? He has the pieces in my mind to build a dominate defense can he? I believe he can.

I see the Super Bowl in our future and for at least the next 5 years the Browns have the pieces to be a dominate football team.

When I look at this football team on paper I see dominance in every area. Berry in my mind is doing and outstanding job bringing in talent to address our needs both in FA and the draft he was perfect IMO.

I love this football team they have greatness on their finger tips.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawgs4Life #1864303 05/15/21 05:55 AM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
We should be markedly better on defense this year. If it isn’t improved then something is wrong.

Our secondary was the most emphasized unit over the past 3 months. Just like the OL was last year. Heck, maybe even more so.

But what if the scheme is just flawed, and it places everybody out of position.
And thus other teams' QB's can run as well as, or better than, against this D, as last years.
Then consider now with more pieces of the puzzle acquired the team decides to run the favorite defense more often, which could exploit the flaw(s) in it more often. Just a guess...
I don't know...
Could be the opposite...
That's why they play the games.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I am more at peace with Berry and Stefanski than I have been with any GM/HC combo we have had.

I agree about Woods. This will be his defense. Berry has given him precisely the players needed to execute his plan.

I think Walker is being under sold. This guy was a defensive captain on a good defense. A defense that included Darius Leonard playing outside linebacker.

I see JOK being a similar player to Leonard.

IMO Walker and JOK will be the guys starting in the base 4-2-5.

The upgrades in the secondary will be huge and the pass rush, secondary, along with more speed at linebacker should increase turnovers.

The defensive changes have turned what was a weakness to a strength. That is why this team is now one of the best in football.

We have now what I have been waiting for.

A team ready to compete for the NFL Championship.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Woods

Link Copied to Clipboard