Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1862757 05/05/21 09:43 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Let's face it. We have to beat the Ravens. Last year they beat us twice.
They are well coached and a well run organization.

In free agency they signed:

Sammy Watkins, wide receiver
Kevin Zeitler, guard
Derek Wolfe, defensive end
Tyus Bowser, linebacker (resigned)
Pernell McPhee, linebacker (resigned)
Chris Board, linebacker (resigned)
Justin Ellis, defensive tackle (resigned)
=============================================

They drafted:

Round 1: No. 27 – Rashod Bateman, WR, Minnesota
Round 1: No 31 – Odafe Oweh, LB, Penn State
Round 3: No. 94 – Ben Cleveland, G, Georgia
Round 3: No. 104 – Brandon Stephens, CB, SMU
Round 4: No. 131 – Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State
Round 5: No. 160 (from ARI) – Shaune Wade, CB, Ohio State
Round 5: No. 171 – Daelin Hayes, DE, Notre Dame
Round 5: No. 184 – Ben Mason, FB, Michigan
============================================

On offense it is Lamar and company. They are committed to him. Their offense is based upon the run game. But, they are working on developing Lamar as a passer. They signed Watkins and spent their first pick on Bateman.

They are very good on defense. They have a reputation on drafting well. And they have had continuity as an organization that has allowed them to fit players to schemes.

Lamar is a unique player. He is a serious threat and difficult to defend. He has holes but he is a problem.
====================================================

Have the Browns done enough to take the Ravens down?

That is the million dollar question.

We have done a complete make over on defense. We may be starting 8 or 9 new starters on defense.

Our offense remains in tack. We added a serious deep threat in Schwartz.

We scored on them last year.
==================================================

To beat the Ravens it will be about how well our defense plays. That is were we concentrated this off season. That should be where are biggest improvements are made.

However, we should not discount starting a new season with the same coaching staff.

And we have Odell returning.
=========================================

When we play them both teams will know the stakes. In the end it could decide the division.

I expect this to go down to the wire. However, I do believe the changes on defense will make the difference.

Cleveland Browns win the AFC North.

L
Legend
Legend
L
They just signed Villenueva also

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
T
Legend
Legend
T
Not thinking like that I don't think.
Better just to Roll over them and see what they do about it.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
Part of the reason I was excited we drafted JOK was for the insane value that was found in that pick. But what had me even more excited--JOK appears to be the perfect anti-Lamar weapon. Obviously he is a rookie, and we'll need to see how he's developed, but in theory he should be perfect for stopping Lamar from doing what he does best.

Schedules are released in a week--I'm hoping we can get some of our easy games early, like the Lions, Bears, Texans, or Broncos, and our completely revamped defense can ease into the competition. If we play the Ravens later in the season, and JOK already has a few games under his belt before going onto the field against Lamar, I think he could make a huge impact.

It will be interesting to see how things pan out no matter what. But of all the things I'm hopeful for this coming season, seeing JOK stuff Lamar a few times is near the top of the list.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Well, if the Browns Defense gets better and stops the other team from putting up points; then
the other team will dial up fancy never before seen blitzes to try and win the game while the Browns' offense is on the field.

So, work on pass protection, and ball security on offense.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I agree about JOK.

However, Myles, Clowney, and Takk should force Lamar into quick decisions.

When he decides to throw it is our backend defense that should force turnovers.

Woods defense is about speed in the backfield. We will be using a base defense of 4-2-5. Then have subpackages where we could go 3 corners, 3 safety's, or 4-1-6 with 3 corners and 3 safety's.

JOK will be the rover at mid level.

The pass rush should cause problems.

On early downs they want to run with their backs. Lamar loves to throw in the middle. His weakness is outside the numbers.

We know can bring speed in the middle. We can defend TE's, and running backs out of backfield in pass patterns. But the key is beating their RPO's.

That is where Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah will play a huge role. When you watch his tape. He closes fast on this type play. He slices in front of blockers and wins to the spot. He tackles and brings force in contact.

That is why IMO we have moved ahead of the Ravens.

However, I respect them and it will not come easy.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm asking... can the Ravens/Steelers beat us?

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
Honestly, I'm at the point where I'm asking... can the Ravens/Steelers beat us?

On paper or in a board game? No, they can't.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
I think you aren't putting enough faith in the changes on the D we've made.. Those things were done with the thought of beating the Ravens and Chiefs.. Those are two teams stopping us.

The answer is YES.. we can.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I thought I made a strong case as to why we would beat them.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c

We already know how to beat LJ...the trick is executing the defense and keeping him in the pocket. JOK may help with that...but by covering Andrews et al.

There is not such thing as "mirroring" LJ...just make him play NFL-QB and he's very stoppable.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
IMO.. add Buffalo to the list

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
And the Chiefs. Not only did they beat us, they did it with a backup QB and bad OL. Mahomes is healthy and that Line got better.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The North Division first.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I thought I made a strong case as to why we would beat them.

I saw it the other way, But in the end, we agree...LOL

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hell yes we can beat the Rats!

Berry just got us the Lamar Exterminator in JOK!

Speed across the board baby on O and D!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I don't know, but we're a lot closer. Let the games begin.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

"I am undeterred and I am undaunted." --Kevin Stefanski

"Big hairy American winning machines." --Baker Mayfield

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I do worry about when we play a larger, tougher O.

Sure, it's great being fast, but if they can maul us, we won't get to use that speed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
If the Refs forget bottle gate ..... Yes we will, twice a season...

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Sure, it's great being fast, but if they can maul us, we won't get to use that speed.

That's my worry as well. With them drafting Ben Cleveland and signing Villenueva, their OL is now huge. Hopefully our smaller, faster defense can hold up.

But overall, I think with the improvements we've made this offseason (and some of the defenders they've lost), the Browns are the more talented team.

And the biggest thing - we are set-up better for the future. Baltimore is going to be close against the cap again this year after signing Villenueva, their draft picks, and (most likely) Justin Huston. They have been getting sloppy lately trying to get over the hump to win the superbowl, and sacrificing the future of their team a little bit (most notably with the Ngakoue trade last year). Culley getting signed by the Texans really helped them.

Meanwhile, the Browns are sitting on 20M in cap space that they can rollover to next year and help resign their core players. AB has done a great job building a talented team for the here-and-now, but also always looking to the future.

It something lot of Browns fans are overlooking: he's not looking to build a 1-year-wonder. He's looking to build a dynasty.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Can We beat the Ravens?

Is Grant Delpit going to bring the Heat and give us even more solid bada## production than Money Mitchell. Sure going to miss T. Micthell going to have to see it to buy into the John Johnson was an "upgrade."

Grant Delpit is the defensive playmaker that is easy to forget about because the Browns have added about 16+ playmakers to the defense since, well even since this January, and he was on IR all of last year.

Yet, I think A lot more of the Browns Defense hinges on Grant Delpit being every bit as much of an impact player as advertised than fans want to admit.

If the Browns can get 2 Safeties over the top and put Delpit in some hybrid space to rush the passer with speed, LOOK OUT!
Because it's only like the Browns have only
THIRTEEN rofl other people who may be SUPERSTAR BALL OUT PASS RUSHERS in this Defense! Oh my gosh,

I mean You could make 2 Starting Defenses off this roster RIGHT NOW, and go win 8 games in the NFL easy with either one of em!
But I'm still going to miss Terrence Mitchell, he should be around to enjoy this. !!! THUNDER !!!

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Are we small comparatively? I'm not sure that we are. Myles isn't a small guy, Billings is certainly bigger than Larry O. Jackson is also larger, admired for his length. He's a veteran who has been effective against all types of linemen. Elliott is over 300 lbs. Togiai is a hair under 300 but known for his power and Marvin Wilson may need to drop 10-15 lbs to play at his optimum weight. He'd still be comfortably over 300.

The ability to play with leverage, proper technique and short-area quickness would also seem of higher value than sheer size.

T
Legend
Legend
T
In the Old days, Baseball fans would hang the letter k over some sign to match the inning to track a Pitchers Strikeout percentage.
I think a Browns fan that has front row tickets should post a Sign Where Joe Woods is calling a meeting at the other teams Quarterback! List the top Pass Rushers on the Browns and post a Letter X next to the player name for each time the Browns get a sack.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

At least get the positions right.

Mitchell played outside corner.

Delpit and JJ3 are safety's.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll be curious to see how Baltimore builds a team once they have to pay Jackson. They have really done a lot to craft that offense around his particular game.

In order for his game to work, they have to be playing with a lead, which also requires a very strong defense which Baltimore has invested a lot of money into.

When he gets paid, it'll be interesting to see how they preserve the rest of the construct they currently have in place.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

No doubt that we will need at least 1 DT who can eat up 2 blockers in the middle. I think we have a few guys who show that promise, but you never know until we get to camp and see how they do against our O-line. I think both Wilson and the OSU dude show that promise. The question is do they have the mental makeup for that role. The glory those guys get come from their coaches and team mates, not ESPN.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
We were the worst team at stopping Lamar on the ground last year. He destroyed us. It’s a big part of the reason we drafted JOK and wanted to improve our safeties/versatility IMO.

I think our offense kinda figured them out the last game and we picked on their secondary ... so I think we can beat them this year

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

I think we have caught the Ravens and Steelers and now we actually are showing some separation. Lamar is going to start to feel the effects of being hit a lot. The kid will be getting hit like no other QB cause he is going to run more than any other QB and when he sits in the pocket he will get smacked also.

Hit him hard and hit him often...good bye Lamar! Who is their back up btw???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

They had RG3 but he is no longer on the roster.

Trace McSorley.

I don't know about Lamar getting hurt. I thought the same thing. But he seems to avoid the big hits.

The Steelers will find a way to be above 500. They find a way to compete. Yes they are in the rearview mirror.

The Ravens are a good sound team that is well coached. They are a playoff team IMO. They are talented and they are difficult to beat. They play good defense. Lamar is a problem to defend.

It will be game on when we play them.

At this stage I do believe we have the edge but it is narrow.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

Hit him hard and hit him often...

One of the issues defending the RPO is that the 1st defender tries to cover both the Qb and the Rb and ends up defending neither. I think the 1st guy should always key on the Qb. If the Qb gets hits hard but clean each and every time they run an RPO then it won't be long before they start getting hesitant to call it.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Yeah, he does have quite the talent when it comes to avoiding the big hits. It's frustrating. I never want to see the guy get hurt, but I do root for him to get hit hard enough to think about it.

The other thing about it is that I see quality over quantity. He might not get hit often, but all it takes is one time, and he definitely increases his odds with how much he runs the ball. Got pretty banged up against the Bills on one play in the playoff game IIRC.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
Rookie
Rookie
T
As much as I hate to say it, I think he'll be hit even less this year. They drafted a guard and just signed Villanueva. Did they lose any OL in the offseason? On paper it seems like he'll have more protection this year than he did last.

O
Legend
Legend
O
They get Staley back on the left and swapped Brown for Villanueva on the right. They also signed Zeitler.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Yes, their All Pro Guard retired. JMHO, last year was great, it's gone. Their are NO easy teams in NFL. We beat Jets, sure thing, not. We have no control over schedule, injuries, and covid- which ISN'T over.....so, hope we produce as nearly all expect.....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

They are a good team. They come to play. I have great respect for John Harbough. IMO he is one of the better coaches in football.

They deserve a lot of credit in drafting Lamar and then committing to him. They have done a great job of building around him and developing him.

The changes we made on defense will be the difference this season.

We can force Lamar into situations that present problems for him.

We will be better in the mid-level game. This is where he does his damage as a passer and runner.

When you force him to throw outside the numbers he has issues. When you make him run horizonatal. Our new defense will get to him.

Against the Ravens we must protect the inside run game and inside pass game. Lamar loves to throw slants over the middle to the TE. He loves the seams routes up the center.

The Browns made changes on defense to upgrade weaknesses.

Against the Ravens those changes will go a long way.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Jester
Originally Posted By: eotab

Hit him hard and hit him often...

One of the issues defending the RPO is that the 1st defender tries to cover both the Qb and the Rb and ends up defending neither. I think the 1st guy should always key on the Qb. If the Qb gets hits hard but clean each and every time they run an RPO then it won't be long before they start getting hesitant to call it.

The nice thing is that we will be able to match up much better across the defense with them. We will be able to mix coverages, and still play closer to the LOS to take away their runs.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Agree with your takes on Harbough and the Ravens/Lamar.

As to whether we can beat them - hell yes.

I think they will miss Judon and Ngakoue. I think the additions in the draft of quality WR's will help - but only so much. My opinion of Lamar's accuracy from the pocket improved last year - but not leaps and bounds.

I like that the Brown's added speed on defense. Probably everywhere - Clowney, JOK, JJ, Newsome, Delphit if healthy.... I mean forget improved D from scheme and better personnel to fit/implement the scheme, just keep it simple and look at plugging in better players at key positions that will impact Lamar escaping the pocket and gashing the D ... we are better and would have won at least 1 of the games from last year.

Don't want to wish the summer away but damn I want September here fast! I am pumped.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Woods will now be able to implement his vision for the defense.

We are faster all over the field. We could start 8 or 9 new players on defense.

I am trying without much luck to enjoy the now.

But I am with you on September.

Certainly the roster has been upgraded.

But I am so excited to watch what these guys can do.
Myles looks like he could stomp godzilla. Clowney and Takk appear highly motivated. Our pass could be wacko.

The secondary is a complete make over except for Ward and Harrison. All additions are better and faster.

The addition Of JOK will be huge. Pre-darft he was my favorite player.

I think Anthony Walker is not getting much love and his add is being underated. He is a tackling machine. Smart guy who was a captain.

Schwartz will add some verticle fear. The return of Odell could be larger than we imagine.

I am so curious to see how all this will fit and what it will look like in real games.

Legend
Legend
Speed is the key to beating Lamar. He has been way better than I ever expected at avoiding direct contact, speed is the only cure for that. Some day, some how, teams need to make him pay a price for leaving the pocket.

Besides punishing him for leaving the backfield, we need to mitigate damage when he does, within ten yards of the LOS. The backbreaking (and demoralizing) defeats occur when he breaks off 20, 30, 40 yard chunks.

Our ability to accomplish these tasks has improved so much it has nearly broken the graph. On top of that, versatility within the ranks will have him cross-eyed pre-snap. It's gonna be fun to watch.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
We have a legit double barrel D so to speak. By that I mean we now have a better pass rush and a faster secondary that can cover. My only concern is that we do have a lot of new players that will take time to learn the D and gel together. Hopefully, we will be playing a few weaker teams early on when our D will be learning to play together. I believe we will get better on D as the year goes on.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Can We Beat the Ravens?

Link Copied to Clipboard