Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
T
Legend
Legend
T
General thought, checked out the list of free agents, from 2 days ago, and looking only for cornerbacks.

Gareon Conley from Houston, is 26, a former 1st round pick and plays decent when he plays.

Since I can't bring myself to believe Greedy, or Delpit, or Newsome, or Ward will play and stay healthy for 16 games, (17), and since Terrence Mitchell signed elsewhere,
I'd say a Free Agent Cb addition would be a welcome help.
And I'm totally aware, of TJ Hill, A.J. Green, Brian Allen, and Rugumba, and Redwine, and Robert Jackson, and M.J. Stewart,
But Conley would be a nice welcome addition I'd think, if he passes a physical. I wonder what kind of scheme he plays,/ how he plays zone.
Anohter 2017 1st rounder to pick up, to provide support over the top.
If Greedy Williams can make more plays than him... he'd have to do it on the field.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
There is no hard and fast rule that says that we will keep 4 TE. If the team feels that a 4th RB, or a 6th WR, is more valuable, then I am sure they will do that instead.

I also look at the defensive numbers, and I am sure that we'll keep more than 4 S. If 3 S is going to be our base, then we need more than 1 backup.

It will be interesting to see how it all washes out.

I agree on safety. Maybe I should have just pegged in defensive backfield players. Maybe it is 5 corners and 5 safeties. I also included JOK as a backer when many of his duties will be much as a safety. He is going to be listed as a backer, but he is going to play a big role in defensive pass coverage.

Again, the numbers are just my opinion as of now. I think they are probably fairly close. I am sure everybody has somewhat different opinions that can bump some of the position groups up or down a player. Maybe we just keep 3 backs and it comes down to either Johnson or Felton.

As camp and preseason starts, a few guys are going to force their way on the team.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
For as much time and effort the Browns spend into getting a competetant group of Cornerbacks onto this roster,
There needs to be a group that can get on the field for 17+ games.

I don't think anybody disagrees, but that is pretty much out of the coaches control. Hospital Ward as an example might never sustain any real injury the rest of his career.

You just never know.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
I clamored for it, especially in red zone. Spread set and cut it loose. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Cowboys had a terrible d line last year, especially I'm talking a very slow defensive end I saw who couldn't hold the edge for anything.
Therefore
The day the Browns signed Marvin Wilson, if everyone is healthy Jordan Elliott is not going to make this roster. ( He Shouldn't, if he does it would be a big mistake,) But, they could trade him, even for a cornerback or a 5th or 6th round (2022) pick.
And I don't want to hear how the team wants to save face, because it's the right move, and Elliott served the Browns admirably because even being on the depth chart freed the team up to do other things these past 2.? years.
But the Botttom line the only thing J. Elliott has going for him is he was selected 80 something in the 3rd round. He is not as accomplished as a player as anyone else in the top 9 of the Dl/De, except Togiai, and Togiai shouldn't really feel roster safe either.
Everything changed when the team signed 3 DL in the 18 hours after the draft, because all 3 of them talent wise, and Square with 9 years experience, changed what the Browns have in the D middle.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ramble On...

T
Legend
Legend
T
I really like D'Ernest Johnson, and I know it's a long shot, and I think the team Likes D'Ernest Johnson, and I like him even in 2022.

So, I was happy because, if they only keep 2 Qb,s and 8...+1 Oline, All 4 Te's,
1 Fullback, and the Two Rb's
Keep D'Ernest Johnson, and
get all the Wr's in,
Landry, Obj, Higgins, Hodge, Schwartz, and Felton,
25, counted again, 25, I'm beaming, 25 keep D' Johnson.

Shoot I forgot about Peoples Jones, That's 26.
---------

You know if they only keep 5 linebackers... because Clowney and Takk McKinley basically have a lb's frame.

7 Corners and 4 safeties.
These are my corners,
Greedy Williams, (making the team, getting healthy, playing a whole bunch, all sunshine and roses feelings) so.
1 Greedy
2 Troy Hill
3. Brian Allen, ( Actually it's one spot for Brian, or Robert Jackson, or A J Green, I personally think B.A. is the one.
4. Greg Newsome II
5 Denzel Ward
6. M.J. Stewart and
7, I've got Gareon Conley penciled in,- he's not on the team, he's a FA he wants too much, whatever, maybe it's just some other additional signing, I think Conley might be a nice dream.

Then JJ, Delpit, Harrison and LeCounte, that's 11 Db's and 11 db's if they can get 11 db's healthy, I think that's about what they wanted in 2020. (Esp. w/ hack-a-shaq, = hack-a-Lamar Ravens.)

So on the D line, the eight I think of, if no one gets injured start with of course.
Jadeveon Clowney 32
Myles Garrett 42
Malik Jackson 34.5 and
Takk McKinley 17.5 = that's 126 career sacks ladies and gentelemen in one front 4.

then McDowell, Marvin Wilson, Togiai, and Square,
one Veteran leader and 3 talented guys that haven't played yet.

Now my Lb's were JOK, Walker, Phillips, Fields, Taki Taki and Malcolm Smith, ( this adjusted to cut Smith)

Now, analytics wise, uh only 5 Lb's, but, considering,
much of last year, BJ Goodson played a ton of time and he was released,
at this point, cutting down to 5, is also cutting Mack Wilson and Malcolm Smith; if LB becomes a need later in the season, the chances that all 3 have been snatched up by other teams, vs. one of the 3, if not 2, are still able to bring back mid year, if there's a need,

are better at the LB position than DE, or Corner.

Would be nice and I like a lot of the guys who aren't on this consideration.
26 on offense, 24 on defense, K,P,LS, and I get to keep D'Ernest Johnson grin
5.0 ypc, Runs with passion, long term insurance. Creates even 'another' threat. My Guy! One of them.
And he's proven himself at Returner.

Hashtag keep D'Ernest! grin

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Ramble On...

How can you post this without a Led Zeppelin video attached to it?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: Hammer
Ramble On...

How can you post this without a Led Zeppelin video attached to it?

Read his words and immediately started singing the song!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Legend
Legend
D
Did you just say you want to keep 2 Running Backs and one of them is D'Ernest Johnson? Nick and Kareem want to know which one of them won't be here.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
Did you just say you want to keep 2 Running Backs and one of them is D'Ernest Johnson? Nick and Kareem want to know which one of them won't be here.
NO.
No we're talking about Kareem and Nick obviously, And keeping D'ernest, And 1 of the Fullbacks,
And keeping Felton the 6th round pick
And keeping Hodge
And adding Schwartz
And keeping Higgins, and Peoples'Jones
And in case you need the obvious, keeping OBJ and Jarvis also.
And keeping all 4 TE's including Carlson who get more playing time than targets show.

And keeping 9 OL,
I'm talking about making it work so the offense doesn't have to lose out on anything. As currently constructed.

Of Course if they went out and Signed Another Star, (or the today's version, ... Metcalf, Seattle, someone like that, then that would change the whole gameplan.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Unfortunately I will take their opinion over yours.

You seem to have some facts on players in your head that just don't translate to real football play???

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Legend
Legend
T
If 2 or 3 players end up on injured reserve then the door would be open for
2 or 3 other players to make the final roster.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
J/C
I just want to go on record early that if healthy, I expect Marvin Wilson to make the 53 man roster. We won't be able to hide him on the PS. If I had to guess I think he beats out Billings.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
J/C
I just want to go on record early that if healthy, I expect Marvin Wilson to make the 53 man roster. We won't be able to hide him on the PS. If I had to guess I think he beats out Billings.

I agree. If anything other, we find the the guy has some sort of hangnail and is placed on IR.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I expect Mack Wilson to be cut or traded

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
I expect Mack Wilson to be cut or traded

I can't imagine a team giving up something for Wilson. Guy is 12 pounds of clueless stuffed in a 10 pound bag.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E

If my aunt had two balls she would be my uncle

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: eotab

If my aunt had two balls she would be my uncle

Nowadays, I am not sure that is accurate.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Sad but true...smh

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

He means DAN6EROUS.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
THanks! Quite an article. Keepers are?

If Kiondre Thomas Cb Kansas State, UDFA makes this 53 man team, (Or any of these young corners). there is one thing I'd hope he could model his game study after.
Daylon McCutcheon, was a force on the Cleveland Browns in about 1999-2004 that time frame.

And he did it by just, defending his man and making awesome tackles. For a small guy, man, McCutheon, "Clutch Cutch" in space he was like Bruce Lee making tackles, moving like a soccer goalie sometimes.

And another guy Kiondre Thomas, (any of these young corners,) could study, also from 1999,

Starting Wr, Darrin Chiaverini, Browns 1999. because rofl he had no business in the NFL from an underdog standpoint, but that son of a gun Made Plays! (As an overmatched slot WR, on a team with no #2, or #1 wr, he'd beat man coverage for 15 yard gains with effort alone, guys draped all over him.)

But Daylon McCutcheon, played 96 games. 96!

And he didn't make the int's, he didn't do a lot of things, I bet there were 96% of his 96 games, where there was talk about, they need to find someone to replace McCutcheon,
But he covered his man! And he Tackled like Bruce Lee in open space.
I wish they had another Daylon McCutcheon on this team right now.
(is what I'm sayin)

edit: For everyone under age 40 rofl Bruce Lee was a 1970s Hollywood Martial artist movie star, famous for being a bad--- in Kung Fu! Inventing a version of karate, and an ability to move and fight in a unique way.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 05/18/21 12:26 PM.

T
Legend
Legend
T
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/mar...egin-nfl-career

Marvin Wilson Calls Browns perfect situation to begin NFL career.

Defensive line.

T
Legend
Legend
T

Legend
Legend

The conclusion is crystal.

This is the best roster top to bottom that the Browns have had going way, way back.

In addition this will be a super difficult roster to even make the 53.

There is serious competition at every position group.

This is going to be the first 17 game season ever. Roster depth will be important. In fact all the gushing about the Bucs, Chiefs, Bills, Rams, Ravens, 49ers and the Browns could all come down to roster depth.

Every team has injuries. Next up is reality.

Analyists this time of year all flatter team's star players. First string at every position is sugar coated.
The reality is second and third string players are just as important because they play. And many are forced into action right away.

I thought that with a 17 game schedule that roster expansion may happen. Or, "practice squads" could change.

Not many teams can handle the loss of numerous key players to injury.

We have good depth. I just hope we can remain some what healthy.

Legend
Legend
This is one of those times when I feel its right to expand the game day roster spots.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

If not expand the roster then have some kind of flexibility with players you carry on practice squads.

Like allow more players to practice during the week.

Teams have to find a way to get guys ready if needed.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Maybe open it up as a compromise? Suppose after week 10, if all byes are in, a team could add for one week five to roster and five to PS. Know your injuries and needs and recruit help for playoffs. Not sure the current roster numbers can sustain a run of 17 games and playoffs.
I think this could help injured players make better choices as well. If these are not the numbers, I think the need will be evident, it wi;; result in better games for fans, and it can be jiggled some.

The NFL needs to get this right, and added players can carry through to FA signing the next year. poke

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B

I think everybody in here is of the opinion that Wilson was an outstanding FA signing. I think he can become a very good starting quality player. Maybe sooner than later.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
This is one of those times when I feel its right to expand the game day roster spots.

Possibly.

The reality is we are at a point where it is going to be tough to cut players. Of course we want expanded rosters just like good teams wanted expanded rosters for the last 10 years. I think teams like the Pats didn't want to cut some players.

The weaker teams don't want expanded rosters. They want to pick up some of our cuts, just like we wanted for the last 20 years.

It's really no different than wealth of any kind. When you have it, you want to keep as much as you can. When you don't, you are all for getting some from others.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

I think everybody in here is of the opinion that Wilson was an outstanding FA signing. I think he can become a very good starting quality player. Maybe sooner than later.

Most if not all of the preseason mock drafts had him going in the 1st round. Anybody know what happened to change that? Was his 2020 season that bad? Hiw was it bad?

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I'd like to see all roster-ed players be eligible on gameday rather than choosing inactives every week...see practice squad comment below.

The IR rules were better last year, but should be more like baseball's disabled list.

The practice squad rules were also better last year but need two things IMO. Teams should be allowed to protect (and better protect) a number of players from being poached by other teams...let's say 4-5. Also, there should be a number of roster spots that can be "churned" each week between guys already on the 53 and PS guys.

The situation where injured guys (who can't play for a couple games) take up a limited roster spot is stupid. If you don't want to IR the guy, churn him to the PS for the next game or until he's healthy. The PS guy gets to play and the roster isn't hindered by shear #s PLUS a guy(s) who is out for awhile.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Jester

Most if not all of the preseason mock drafts had him going in the 1st round. Anybody know what happened to change that? Was his 2020 season that bad? Hiw was it bad?

He seemed very disinterested this year, I watched tape of the one on ones at the Senior Bowl and his play for the most part was very uninspiring. Plus he tested very poorly at his Pro Day.

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That's disappointing.
Thanks for the info

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Jester

He had a meniscus injury early that he played on until he opted-out. Which is not the most severe of knee injuries. its possible that at his size it may have bothered him more than it would a smaller human.

Another factor that might have lowered his production was that during 2020 he was moved frequently around the Dline. He took a lot of reps at both 3-tech and 5-tech. He played these positions decently but he had less splash plays.

Prior to 2020 the dude had two seasons of highly productive play. I dont think the talent that just suddenly evaporated. I'm confident the team evaluated him thoroughly. Thats why the offered him the equivalent of a 6 round contract.

C
Legend
Legend
C
This is a pretty big deal and long overdue:

Legend
Legend
In other words, come back when you are able to play... Not hard to grasp

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At the end of the day I don't see the Browns carrying a FB. They can do what they did last season and insert a TE into this position. I watched enough last year when we did insert a FB and it just wasn't effective and I truly view it as giving up a threat when we do.

Beyond that I truly have no idea who these guys will keep. A lot of it depends on how these guys who were rookie's last year have progressed this year Elliot being on of them. Will they keep him they liked him and he gained some valuable experience last year but needs to elevate his game. Everything the Browns have done to date has revolved around diversity, if you watch closely they value guys who can do more then one thing that is why a true FB who isn't much good at anything but blocking IMO is easily replaced and frees up valuable roster spots.

I would be more inclined to watch in the groups that are overloaded with talent to see if the Browns don't try to trade off a few guys in the next few weeks I am certain conversations are taking place.

I feel very comfortable that Berry and Ski will keep guys they believe will help the team this year and into the future. Who that is without knowing the leaps these guys have taken from year one to two is impossible some are obvious because we see these guys being talked about in the press we just haven't a clue and the Browns I am sure do all they can to keep as much info as possible under wraps. I trust Berry and Ski and that is what's important to me at this juncture.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree. If the person playing "fullback" can't offer anything to the O other than being a lead blocker it is a wasted roster spot.

Like you said, but a TE back there. Put in a reserve guard or a DT. All fullbacks do is lead defenders to the ball, so you might as well put in a large human to lead the way on that 4th and 1.

Heck, Hunt is a good lead blocker. I'd bet that Chubb could be as well. I'd rather have Chubb and Hunt lined up in the backfield over one of them plus Janovick, or whoever the heck we have wasting space.

This is nothing against the guys playing the position. It's about the position being outdated. Other than maybe 5 quick handoffs up the middle a season, they block.

On any play you have 5 guys who can touch the ball and gain yards not counting the QB. I don't want to give up one of those slots to a guy who's only real value to the team is blocking. It limits the viable possibilities.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 2 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard