Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: FATE
Yeah, me too. He's pretty good at making impact with the pads, but he resembles a guided missile. I'm sure every time it's questionable, especially if a player is slow to get up or the hit looks violent, he'll get popped.

That's the problem. These plays happen so fast that if it's very close, it's more about the perception of what the refs see. I didn't see these plays in slow motion. I saw them in real time. And in real time it looks to me that NFL refs may have a problem with some of these hits.

The big problem to me is the way we "officiate". Fine, you're not sure... throw the flag. But for the love of all things good, review the play and pick a flag up once in a while. That NEVER happens.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

2020 was so unusual for so many reasons.

But for the Browns it was a dream season.

Normally I start looking at the draft come Thanksgiving. That is about when we are out of the picture.

I didn't look at the draft till the season was over. Saw where we would pick. Knowing the roster it was clear where we needed players.

Looked at the rankings of linebackers and saw that Koramoah won the Butkus award. Started looking at his tape.

His play jumped off the screen for me. In short order I sent my son a text and said "this is the guy I want."

Never have the Browns drafted the one player in range that I wanted.

I went wacko when that young man said "Jeremiah."

This guy win plays. You have to love this guy. He slices in front of blockers and wins to the spot. He reads and explodes to the ball carrier. He drops into coverage and his make up speed is unreal.

He will play every down on defense. IMO he will be as impactive on defense as Myles.

I for one can not wait to see him play for us.

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Other than Jarvis, OBJ, Higgins, People-jones... Who do we really have?

Yeah, boy- talk about your "bare cupboards"...

wink

rofl

"too many notes, not enough music-"

#GMStong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:
Other than Jarvis, OBJ, Higgins, People-jones... Who do we really have?

Yeah, boy- talk about your "bare cupboards"...

wink

rofl

Yup, we're doomed.
We have nobody to line up Week 1

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

L
Legend
Legend
L
All I saw in that video was JOK slugging someone into the turf with much physicality. Hopefully he can do that at the next level.

He is going to, I suspect and hope, kick some ass and take names, and he doesn’t look like a kid fresh out of college, either - he looks like a man. JOK ain’t no joke. smile

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
He could be a smaller version of Ray Lewis. The problem is that with the concussion issue being so much a part of the safety protocol now, Ray Lewis couldn't hit the way Ray Lewis hit.

But can he cover like Lewis..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
All I saw in that video was JOK slugging someone into the turf with much physicality. Hopefully he can do that at the next level.

He is going to, I suspect and hope, kick some ass and take names, and he doesn’t look like a kid fresh out of college, either - he looks like a man. JOK ain’t no joke. smile

I think his smaller size will prevent him from physically beating up on the NFL talent that's around him. He also won't be so much faster than the opposition.

I'm not poo-poo'ing the pick. He's a Brown so therefore I'm a fan. Our roster is also such that he won't be thrown straight into the fire. If that highlight video is any indication, I just think he needs to tighten up his tackling technique or he's going to have a tough time on Sundays.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
One thing about highlight videos is that they love showing the big blow up hit. The textbook tackle rarely show up because it just isn't as exciting for most people.

Having said that, it doesn't meant that he mostly uses good technique and the few blow ups are exceptions. Just pointing out that we cannot tell from that video.

Personally, I have not watched many ND games the past couple of years so have no comment on his tackling techniques.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:
Why do you even think we need another receiver.
Seriously. Sigh.

The rest of the NFL is getting more WR's and getting them in rounds higher than the Browns, (with the exception of OBJ.), but OBJ entered the league more than 2 years ago, but he's not even 27 yet.

The Browns had to give up a free/strong safety, a 3rd round pick and a 1st round pick to get OBJ in a trade.

The Browns history of players in the draft shows a tendency to show players selected outside of the top 120,(actually more like top 104), fall off in effectiveness.

Felton, (who should be a WR,) and Donovan Peoples-Jones, along with Ratley and some other I forget were selected outside of the top 104 picks in the past couple of years.
(again to remind, I'm answering, sigh, "why I think" so, if someone disagrees with my next reasoning, just move on;) but;
Rashard Higgins' superseded his late draft status, (status of selection after pick 104), the week he was brought back to the team after being waived, way back in like 2016/2017 because he fought his way back onto the roster.) but!
To go back to the point. ( because I think, and 3rdly we have to receive Schwartz, because he's a straight line speed guy, about along the lines of a UDFA, not a 3rd round pick, until he proves he can play;
""Based on"", he only had 7 rec. td's in 3 years as a WR in College football, scratch that, 6!

Yet the team used a 3rd on him so there's that.

Such that. (I think) ... ... and I didn't address Khaderal Hodge yet.
Hodge, appears to be a team favorite, because of the playing time he got last year early season, and Radio hosts point out he blocks.

Yet drives show they punt more when Hodge is in the lineup, (and featured), to which I say/think, he hinders the flow of the offense, and isn't the threat to score deep that most of the others are.

Is! One Wr enough in an offense? NO, how many? 2, no, 3 + yes because they all feed off of each other and NFL defenses are coveraged to easily remove only 1 or 2 good options from an offense, including Te's + Wr's yet even w/te's they lack, usually, speed and cut/- ability, breaks, whatever to get open, ..." in the same way" that WRs' do so that a 3 wr. A "real" 3 wr set is a necessary tool for an offensive arsenal, ( at least, if not a 4 or 5 plus depth)

So, scheme-ily, One WR is not enough, but Jarvis, is one, and Beckham was injured, between the two of them the sad fact of the NFL is injuries happen.

So If I think after Higgins, and Jarvis, and OBJ, that Donovan Peoples-Jones is going to fall off,
(side note, I always liked how Baker and Derrick Willies seem to play with so much chemistry,)
that DPJ is going to fall off, that between Schwartz and Felton, you don't have anything proven, yet two roster spots, are going to be used, where One would be great, if the player were... (and do just enough to not be replaced, yet hold just enough problems to hinder really overcoming as an offensive whole,
and if I believe Khaderal Hodge, blocks, and probably does the route running well, or "whatever" but the team punts more when he's in there, so he's going to take up a spot that just won't go to a special player,

and If I believe we have the game before the injury where a no shoes Beckham was widely videod, kinda shows he wasn't all in, at least at the time, with team plans and attitude whatever,

Not even to mention contracts,
NOt even to mention the Browns' historically, if the team has needs,
go Defense, 1. Defense 2. " Wait'! We gotta go Defense!, followed by double checking the Defense,
before they can get around,
to addressing the offensive skilled positions,

In a league that sets up so many rules to demand more offense, (automatic 4th down penalties... < wait they don't exist) (automatic 1st and goal penalties, automatic 15 yards +first down you hurt the quarterbacks 'feelings'.

Then YA, I'm always going to say the Browns need another WR, (but there's an opportunity cost, so it's not at the expense of putting out a Defense that can't stop grandma;)
And,
Even in all of this,
One of the Browns biggest dangers' to success, which they are trending toward being more likely to get caught up in, is looking back after a loss at how they abandoned the run game,
Got caught up in trying to throw the Ball too much, ( See (2020) Joe Burrow, < he looks so great w/ another game in the loss column, because their team didn't seem to realize you can throw for 300+ more often in a loss than a team with a balanced run and pass 250+ which more often wins.
-----
So, They need, 1 more Better Receiver, and they need to throw the ball less, (I mean get caught up in drives that "only throw the ball" less often.)
vs. drives that throw and run balanced.

So they need 1 more better Wr. instead of 3+ roster spots of guys who are going to struggle.

And remain balanced on Run vs. Pass, and don't trend toward abandoning the run.

and 3, Remember proper use of the Tight ends, the team with the best Tight End(s), play, will once again win the AFC North, probably.

Unpopular beliefs.
(The Browns are going to tell us in 11 months that the best player(s) in the draft are cornerbacks, again.)

Which is fine if it's a need, DRAFT SIX!!!, until one year, the need is something else! banghead

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
You know I can't back up that statement about Hodge and punting more, frown I don't know, it just, it just seems that way in my mind, in my memory.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
D
Legend
Legend
D
You know, TL ... every single thing that pops into your head doesn't necessarily need to be posted here.

You do know that, right?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I honestly think that JOK could be our Ray Lewis type player for us. He looked like someone in college that will strike fear into the hearts of QB's and RB's for the next decade in the NFL.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
T
Legend
Legend
T
I could see not posting if I had ongoing correspondence with the team, ownership on down. Have you ever boo-ed or cheered?
--------
JOK, may be more like Troy Palumalu than Ray Lewis.

Ray Lewis earned it, but was not appreciated by big media really before his 3rd year and later.

And Grant Delpit may be more impactful than Koramoah.

E
Legend
Legend
E
1. As long as he creates fumbles.
2. As long as he hurts Lamar when he takes off for a run.

Those are 2 things I'm looking forward to.

jmho
When I say hurt Lamar I'm not talking about hospitalizing him. I'm talking about him remembering the hit and if he continues to meet JOK in the process of a play he will break down mentally.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I just watched JOK's Rookie Minicamp presser. I really like this dude's energy. He was very composed and mature in the way that he handled himself. I really liked how he showed no irritation about the multiple questions about his heart health. Then when he said his thoughts on the KC game were all focused on himself and the team and not the opponent I thought that was 1) authentic and 2) the correct approach for a rookie to take. He also seems very confident in himself without being puffed up.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: guard dawg
I just watched JOK's Rookie Minicamp presser. I really like this dude's energy. He was very composed and mature in the way that he handled himself. I really liked how he showed no irritation about the multiple questions about his heart health. Then when he said his thoughts on the KC game were all focused on himself and the team and not the opponent I thought that was 1) authentic and 2) the correct approach for a rookie to take. He also seems very confident in himself without being puffed up.

This 100.

Same with his snippets on Building the Browns...
Acts and talks like he's an adult.
Confident but not cocky (not that "cocky" really bothers me).
Intelligent and well-spoken.
Calm demeanor for someone who's a "guided missile" on the field.
Very charismatic.
Does not carry himself as a rookie at all.

Doesn't have that "got something to prove to all the naysayers" attitude, more like "I'm gonna reaffirm everything I already know about myself".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Over the years I have heard maany comments of young players. Most are not note worthy.

This comment is note worthy:

The slide to the second round would cause some to stew over the slight, building a giant chip on their shoulder. Owusu-Koramoah takes a different approach.

“My motivation lies strictly within the game of football and my appreciation for football,” he said. “I am not going to use something that is external in terms of a draft and people not picking me.”

That is the single most mature response I have heard from a young player.

Jeremiah will be a leader on this team and it will be a natural transition. He will do it on the field. In the locker room and in the community.

The Browns got themselves a real man here.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Your concept of WR is totally skewed. How many SB did they Lions and Falcons get with pretty much the two most dominant WRs in the NFL.

Its about getting 4-5 WRs with good hands and are disciplined to run good routes and block unselfishly. That is what you cove in a WR. We have that you keep talking as if you are swayed via Fantasy Football which totally over rates WRs on a pedestal. As they score a lot of points for you. Get realistically in the NFL game you got TEs and RB actually involved.

Look Throw, I don't know if you are here to troll or talk football. But let me give you a lesson about the game.

On Offense as an OC what you wish to do is CREATE SPACE! You stretch the field vertically as well as horizontally. If you play the ONE on ONE game you will lose. Just like early last year we were going one on one with OBJ when he had single coverage but there was no flow to the game. The O looked stagnant - oddly when OBJ was out we had to depend on the entire OFFENSE and we created space. The Running game did more for our passing game then any Stud WR could.

Its all about Flow, spreading the field and creating SPACE. That is the name of the game.

once you have learned that concept then you are on your way to an NFL offense. Fantasy Football...I could care less I do help my sons who like to play it and win money.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
Legend
Legend
E
Oh didn't see it anywhere but JOK is now signed.

Only Newsome III and Schwartz are out there ready to sign Newsome a 1st rounder and Schwartz a 3rd rounder.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Then it's a good thing we're paying OBJ and Landry $15M each. rofl

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Which, as each year passes, is looking to be more and more affordable.

https://overthecap.com/position/wide-receiver/

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Afford and worth are two different things.

The Cavs could afford Tristan Thompson. That didn't make it a good deal.
The Browns can afford Austin Hooper. So far, that isn't looking like all that good of a deal, either.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
we are just fine,, in fact we are way better than fine in the WR department... no issues...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How did this turn into a receiver thread?

What a train wreck? lol

JOK gonna give us a something we haven't seen in the LB department in a long time. He's got skills.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie

Don't know what the lmao is for...ignorance is a blessing I guess. If we got it we will pay for it. Obviously we don't need to spend anymore. It came at a time when FA just weren't coming here at all. So we over spent a little at a time when we had the cap space. Landry came and we grew as a team.

We finally got our Franchise QB... We have a foundation of a great offense and when the time comes you can get off your laughing ass and understand that there is a time for everything. As long as the owner has the money and we got the cap space I don't care what we give. The time and place to invest more is not now if you had a concept of football you would understand this. There will come a time when we will have to make $$$ room due to the cap we know where we can go to get that space. That is the time to draft more. We got Higgins, Hodge, People-Jones and now Schwartz...as noted to those who KNOW football you don't nee that super star WR to have a good Offense well you don't have to invest high in getting one but there will come a time when we will draft a WR high in the draft and probably let loose of one of our 15Million dollar men. Landry might work with us in price.

There are 12-15 solid WRs coming out in most drafts. No need to panic. WRs is also a position that one who wishes to win a SB will sacrifice $$$ for that ring. We are getting there.
So your snide lmao of a team spending 15 mil each on Landry and OBJ is a mistake by our GM well he is carrying on the decision made by another but we can afford it as we have the space. Where have we had to give something up (Sheldon maybe) cause of cap space???

Not a WR of course. Schwartz can be a stud or a one trick pony. We will see again I think it is a prime example where if you do your homework you can get a stud anywhere in the draft for a WR. But our day will soon come where we will have to invest high in the draft for a stud WR.

Don't forget our use of TE and RB that can over come the need of 4 or 5 WR with game.

So you can stop laughing and once again join Throw and learn some football!

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
So you can stop laughing and once again join Throw and learn some football!

I'll keep that in mind. I could always learn some football.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Psydeffect
How did this turn into a receiver thread?

After your post I read the thread title. I thought it was a WR thread that someone accidentally mentioned JOK in.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish
Owusu-Koramoah won the 2020 Dick Butkus Award as the top linebacker in college football. The first-team All-American led Notre Dame with 11 tackles for loss and three forced fumbles, while also recording 62 total tackles, 1.5 sacks, one interception and three pass breakups in 12 starts.

First thought is he will be used in coverage, but this makes me think he was brought in to boost the run defense.
Similar to Clowney,
First thought is Jadeveon Clowney is a pass rusher but further look makes me think he was also brought in to boost the run defense.
Similar to Tony Fields II. First thought is he is a coverage player, but a further look makes me think he also was brought in to boost the run defense.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I'm hoping what he becomes is a defensive problem solver. If it is TE coverage against Mark Andrews or containment against Jackson. If it is gap filing against Mixon or pass rushing against Ben. Whatever is needed week-by-week to take away something the opposing offense relies on. Ideally, the defense beocmes good enough to make these adjustments series-by-series.

Move him around the defense to solve these problems.

Legend
Legend
I hope he becomes the problem offenses have to try to solve; I want to move from solving problems from other teams and shift to continually causing THEM problems.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Good point. This defense has the potential to dictate to opposing offenses. That might not happen early though. If they become that dominant by the last quarter of the season that will position us for a deep playoff run.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I would be hesitant to expect to much from JOK this season as he is still just a rookie. I can see the moving him around and letting him palomalu in a year or two bit that would be too much to ask of him this year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Depending on the amount of time he spends on defense, he also seems like a dude that would be good to have on kick/punt coverages.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Word is already coming in (see Anthony Walker)about the freakish nature of JOK's skills.

Once Camp begins and the reports start coming in on practices. JOK will be headlines.

It may take some time for Woods to really get the feel for how and where he is best suited.

From his ND tape you can see how he was used there.

Will Woods use him the same way? That remains to be seen.

At Will I see him used as a zone defender against the pass. A read and react on RPO's. And finally as a zone blitz guy.

He may peel and play flat zone coverage and blitz off that.

X factor role for him is to make the defense try and read his role. When you hear a center call a Mike number it signals blocking scheme.

JOK at Will can be a problem for offenses. Because he could be run support, pass coverage (both zone and man), or blitzer.

He will be used because of his speed and his reaction time once reading a play.

By week 12 he will be weaponized.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Jester
I would be hesitant to expect to much from JOK this season as he is still just a rookie. I can see the moving him around and letting him palomalu in a year or two bit that would be too much to ask of him this year.

When you say "Palomalu" to me it implies freelancing. I think he will be asked to perform multiple assignments but do so within the structure of the defense. Remember, this is what is appealing about a player with his abilities. We didn't trade up for him just to wait to exploit his skills 2 or 3 seasons down the road. I think they will bring him along at a pace where he can absorb the scheme and he is confident on the field. Of course, this won't be without adversity but if Baker an learn on the job I expect JOK can too.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
When I say palomalu I do mean freelancing. That was an impression that I inferred from the posts of others.

I would also like to see him learn 1 job really well then add stuff on.

Legend
Legend
Just remember, Polamalu was pretty unimpressive his first season. He didn't fully become him until year 2 and 3.

I think this year will be a LOT of structure and rigidly following the scheme and calls until Woods & Co start to see him not only have a firm command of things, but also show good instincts in the little bits of freelancing he may be permitted to do. They aren't just going to allow him to do it simply because he's athletic; he still has a job to do.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
That was the point I was trying to make. Thanks for reiterating it much more clearly than I did.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season 2021 NFL Draft Browns select Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah with the 52nd pick

Link Copied to Clipboard