Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1865267 05/23/21 09:49 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
At this point I do not think many would challenge the fact of the Browns roster talent.

One can go through each position and profile every starter and their backup. You can go to PFF and assemble the grades. You can look at where each player was drafted.

Anyway you wish to verify the talent. The end result will be the same. The talent on the roster is very good.

2020 is over. So, until the 2021 team plays what we do not know is: Will the roster play as a team?

No matter how you grade each player. Each player plays in a unit. Each unit must have cohesion. They have to depend upon each. They have to know their assignment and that of the others within their unit. The unit is only as good as the weakest link.

We return our offensive line intact. They graded out as the top offensive line in 2020. Each unit performance impacts the performance of other units. OL performance impacts how the quarterback and running backs perform.

Even the performance of an entire unit "offense" and "defense." Aids or detracts from the other.

Special teams can win or lose games.

So, 2021 is a few months away. Can the Browns coaching staff mold the roster talent into team performance?

This reamins to be answered. One good thing is we are returning the entire 2020 coaching staff. A coaching staff lead by the 2020 Coach of the Year.

Each year stands alone. Each year presents different challenges. 2020 was unique with covid and the impact it had on the team.

Now we face 2021 and the challenges will be different.

One thing is certain injuries hit every team. Depth becomes critical. Preparation is king. Every week is new. Every opponent presents all new problems.

Not every all star roster wins. Teams win.

The 2021 Cleveland Browns will be judged as a team not as roster of stars.

Legend
Legend
Beyond roster, coaching staff, or whatever metric has led up to the brink of judgment, this is clear bottom line: You are your record.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I have faith..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
33cc00 color

If I use this color to differentiate actually, (negatives advocate; the Browns, what did they really do last year?

5 maybe 5+1 good performances, they were, (I mean we really have excitement but: the NFL is a tough place the team, with 90% of the stars, in 2021, were on the team in 2020, and the team in 2020, spent most of the year..
in 3rd place in the AFC North.

Actually it can be argued, the, (well for sure they didn't get 1st, sorry, 2nd place in the division until the win over the steelers in the final week, which let the Browns into the playoffs to play the steelers, and pittsburg rested so many players for that game,
As if, they were OK to allow/ invite the Browns into the playoff matchup, because Pittsburgh thought they'd just clean the clock of the Browns like 10 years of history for the most part.

I kind of get a feeling Ben Roethlisburger, it may be a case of his slump happened from Fatigue, maybe he can give you 10, 11, 10 and a half good games at the start of a season, but he will unknowningly become physically fatigued later, so that,
all of his throws will be off and he won't know how to fix it, but, even so,
Big Ben had 33 td's 10 ints, in 2020, can't act like, can't act like he's Duck Dodghes or Tyrod Taylor.

So, if the Browns play the Steelers, in the first, say 13 weeks of the 17 game schedule, then, revenge factor, I think they've got to figure, well it's at least a possibility the steelers sweep the Browns in 2021.

And this green for me for the moment is for well, negatives advocate.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I have to believe they'll work as a team. By the end of the season you can look at every social media of every player and you can tell they bought in.

They're hungry. #wewantmore is the hashtag and the motto for this year. Stefanski has done a great job of keeping them disciplined... one of the least penalized teams in the league.

When you have people believing in the process. You have people willing to work as a team.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I realize that there is personnel turnover every year and the teams is different as a result of it. But there has been a foundation set from 2020 that gives this organization the chance to have sustained success.

A commitment to work. A focus on 1-0 every week. Players' belief in their individual talent and the talent of their teammates. Refusing to carry the baggage of a legacy of failure. Resilience. Being accountable. Trusting the coaching. Focus and discipline to execute like a professional football team.

The leaders on this team will teach these things to the newcomers. Some of the free-agent vets already have these attributes. JJIII and Walker particularly seem ready to lead on what will be an overhauled defense.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I think one of the biggest factors will be Stefanski and the coaching staff - and I regard them as highly as the roster. They seem like they are on the same page - they are grounded - they hold players accountable whether they be superstars or starters or backups - they are prepared and make in game adjustments.

So, yes, I agree they will need to play and come together as a cohesive team ... and I believe they will.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Kevin did a number of things right from the start of the 2020 season to promote "team."

During zoom calls early on he had the players talk about their 4H's.
History, heartache, heros, hopes.

He made it about the players need to relate to each other.
When you share experiences players form bonds. As teammates they have to learn to trust each other.

A team culture is important. The 2020 player experience was unique. Now we have a returning staff. They know a lot more about their players. The new guys will get integrated into that culture. No execuses. Next man up. Find a way to get it done.

Meetings, practice, the example of the veterans all of that will have the same feel. New guys will know how they should fit in.

P
Legend
Legend
P
They were also able to identify the type of players they needed to get in order to fully implement their systems and find those players both in FA's and the draft. The roster this year will be better suited to employ the things they have in mind. More from a defensive position. It was a two phase process. Last year focused on the O and this year the D.

There is every reason for optimism.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Players like Anthony Walker and John Johnson III are good examples of that Pit both were captains. JOK is another guy that when you read his profile. He is like the defensive version of Chubb from a character stand point.

I am a huge believer in team chemistry. As a coach I saw the impact first hand. Players will push each other. Hard work and effort is something players see and feel around them. Coaches love competition. They also love players who set that example.

The Browns are loaded with grinders. Look at Myles. I mean damn. Jarvis, Chubb, Hunt, Bitonio. We have a bunch of hard nosed guys that set that example. One guy that seemed to be impacted and get turned around was Njoku. He came a long way last year.

Clearly in 2020 the Browns looked the part of a professional, disciplined, tight team.

The dye is cast. I expect this season to be no different.

Legend
Legend
Tough, Smart, Accountable.

They built a team last year and got the players to buy in and take ownership of it. This vision is shared from the top down, and the bottom up. This, combined with the type of player they are bringing in, will go a LONG WAY toward making the melting pot of 2021 work for us. Because of their personality types, the new guys can come right in and see how it all works and how it all fits together. The guys that were here last year will see to that.

There's always the chance of a bad apple here or there that could spoil the lot, but I honestly think (hope) we're doing a pretty good job of avoiding that. We're still taking risks on players with sketchy pasts, but I think we're taking much more educated risks that have a far lower risk point and a far higher reward point.

I'm excited to see how it all starts to come together.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Baker, Chubb, Myles. There is a foundation any team would love to have. I am thrilled with Baker he will win a super bowl for us.

Joe Thomas #73
Legend
Legend
I am convinced that last year was no fluke. 2007 was a fluke, and had a "seat-of-the-pants' vibe from the start. So missing the tournament at 10-6 was probably the right and just outcome smirk.

For all the in-game excitement this team provided, what excited me the most about the team was the conspicuous absence of any off-field drama or controversy. No police blotter reports. No locker room conflicts. and most importantly: no front office power struggles or other typical Berea dysfunction.

I watched those games with a growing confidence as the year progressed, and was certain that CLE would advance past the Wild Card round. It was because of a combination of seeing inspired team play on the field, and solid, professional leadership on the sidelines and in the offices. I've spent years seeing what professional NFL Football looks like, and I finally saw it with this team last year.

You all know me. I've been "The Culture Guy" ever since the old 'official' board. I now see the foundation of the first durable Browns culture since the Marty years. Before that, it was Paul Brown.

Marty was pride and passion. Those teams played street ball all the way to AFC title games. Paul's teams were superpower dominance through precision, discipline and superior infrastructure.

This bunch looks to be the perfect blend of both. Our coaching staff is layin' it down in areas of preparation, teaching and getting the boys on the field at a competitive level. The FO is working very well at getting the players the coaches want/need. The players we already have bonded like Seal Team members last year, and already have a locker room that was forged through a truly remarkable season.

Competent, professional coaches set the benchmarks for achievement and professionalism. Team leaders set the style and persona of the locker room family.

I fully expect this system to be self-correcting, should a bad apple appear. This entire organization worked too hard to get where they are to let one or two 'bad influences' derail the process. Not when they are *this* close to establishing something lasting and special.

New players will get it.

I think we're gonna be ok. Seeing the Cleveland Browns look like a premier NFL outfit takes some getting used to. We're all still on a learning curve. It's really only been since maybe Nov-Dec of last year that my sphincter began to relax- but I think we're truly on our way this time. It looks, sounds smells and feels very different.

Fun thread.
Can't wait to read others' takes.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we finally have the 4 critical components in place.

OWNERSHIP

Jimmy is finally past having his new toy and is allowing his employees do their job. I won't get in to all of the details because there is no way to know exactly how much he got involved in some of the decisions, but it seems pretty clear that for now, his hired hands have the bulk of the decision making. I will point out 2 others. Dee Haslam has had a big impact on her husband. She seems to be a calming influence. Things have changed since she became a focal point in ownership.

Another is JW Johnson. I can't point to anything specific, but things have changed since he has stepped in to the Presidents role. I think both he and Dee are a voice of reason in the Haslam clan. We seem to have a well defined ownership group.

FRONT OFFICE

The team of Berry and DePodesta are gold. I thank my lucky stars that Jimmy has listened to DePodesta and kept him on board. I credit Depo more than anyone for the turn around in culture in the FO group, and many ways the team turn around. Just watching building the Browns gives me a good feeling that the entire office staff is focused on the job at hand. I feel that Berry is as sold a GM as we could ever hope to have. Not only is he a solid evaluator of talent, unlike Holmgren and Dorsey before him, he isn't a egocentric individual. He and Depo are like a perfect fit glove and hand.

COACHING

What can you say. Stefanski was the perfect hire. He relates well with the players and commands their respect. He has put together a solid staff of assistant coaches. I am confident that some years down the road people will be talking about the Stefanski coaching tree.

PLAYERS

The players are kind of a by product of the above. They buy in and do a excellent job of carrying the message to their play on the field. They don't make a lot of stupid mistakes and seem to root for each other. They are focused on the task at hand. Win the next game. Forget about stats. Forget about glory. Think about team and winning games.

It's all looking good.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree with everything you said except I really believe Haslams' problem wasn't the new toy thing, it was finding the right talent to put in place.. He has finally succeeded.

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Good post.

In order for success to happen for an extended period of time. The House has to be in order.

That starts at the top and works down from there.

Ownership, Front Office, Coaching, Players.

The Browns finally have their House in Order.
====================================================

The Haslam's have figured it out through trail and error. They have realized that they must put trust into the people they hire.

What people say matters. Especially within an organization. People set the tone and communication must be nurtured throughout. What you say. How you say it and when you say it matters.

Look at Green Bay and the Rodgers situation.

Over many years I have heard owners, coaches, GM's talk about culture. And in most cases it becomes nothing more than lip service.

Culture is for real. When you work in a good environment. Normally you are more productive. You gain from a good culture. It is contagious.

Kevin and Andrew are genuine. The players respond to that.

Good people count.

This caught my attention: Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah a rookie had this to say about sliding in the draft:

“My motivation lies strictly within the game of football and my appreciation for football,” he said. “I am not going to use something that is external in terms of a draft and people not picking me.”

That is real character. IMO he will become a team leader naturally.

I am more optimistic about the Browns today than I have ever been. All because the structure is in place and it is being run by the right people.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
I agree with everything you said except I really believe Haslams' problem wasn't the new toy thing, it was finding the right talent to put in place.. He has finally succeeded.

Probably true. I only made the point because there is a lot of speculation that he is the one who selected Manziel. I don't know how involved he was in those decisions or wasn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm less keyed on the JM pick at #22 than the dysfunction Jimmy created by inserting himself (with good intentions) into the front office dynamics. Chud firing was understandable. Banner was recommended and his firing was understandable. Pettine was a forced 5th or 6th choice pick who wasn't horrible but then the dysfunction hit. Hue was figured to be a good hire when he was announced. Haslam actually gave him too much time. Dorsey was a good hire but shot himself with Freddy. . . I can view most of this as an owner just trying to find the right formula. The front office interference and dysfunction is all on Jimmy.

just my 2 cents. . . . sorry if tangential to topic. I thought Clem had a well rounded and accurate post on the 4 components and how they appear to align.

mgh888 #1865442 05/25/21 01:32 PM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Not at all. All of us can probably point to something we felt that Jimmy may have had a hand in.

I guess the bottom line is that doesn't appear to be the case any longer.

In the end, he is the owner, so he makes all the big decisions in a round about way. He now has some levels of competence around him to help guide those decisions.

I suppose all owners go through that to some degree.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
mgh888 #1865463 05/25/21 03:08 PM
Legend
Legend
Quote:
just my 2 cents. . . . sorry if tangential to topic. I thought Clem had a well rounded and accurate post on the 4 components and how they appear to align.

That well-rounded essay deserves proper attribution.
It was in fact Ballpeen who wrote that tidy li'l joint. A post that also met my approval, as well.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Quote:

That well-rounded essay deserves proper attribution.
It was in fact Ballpeen who wrote that tidy li'l joint. A post that also met my approval, as well.

Thank you for the correction !! Statement holds.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Probably true. I only made the point because there is a lot of speculation that he is the one who selected Manziel. I don't know how involved he was in those decisions or wasn't.

I see your point, I remember hearing those things back then. like you , I have no idea how true they are. Not sure we'll ever know

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.
Too Reliant on 6th-7th round players,
Felton,
Donovan Peoples-Jones,
Anthony Bryant TE, in offensive skilled position groups,
(Mathew Dayes, Damion Ratley),

This system chases ghost positions, so
in the long run;
Relying on 6th rounders is going to bite this team,

Talent and Team.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Which 6th rounder are we relying on exactly?
A forth string WR?
Here’s our starters….
Baker… 1st round
Chubb… 2nd round
LT … 1st round
RT… Free Agent(stud)
RG… FA (stud)
LG… 2nd round
C… FA (stud)
TE… 1st rounder and a FA starter
WR… Odell (1st round FA), Landry… FA (stud), Higgins…5th rounder that’s more than earned his draft status, Peoples-Jones…. 6th rounder 4th option WR that’s 22 years old, has length, and runs a 4.4, Schwartz… 3rd round, 5th option, 20 year old WR, with world class speed that played at a college with crap QBs, I’ll hold my judgement until I see what he can bring to the table.

I challenge you TL to find a deeper WR roster in the NFL. Find me another team’s 4th and 5th option at WR you would trade ours for right now.
I’ll wait.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
We rely on players. What round they are selected isn't a concern unless those players are no good.

You don't even know if Felton will make the team, though he probably will. Jones has played well. I dispute how much we really rely on Ratley. I doubt he makes the team this year.

I am not sure who Anthony Bryant is....if you mean Harrison Bryant, I think he played well for a rookie and will be a very good player.

Sorry TL, unless a team makes a bunch of trades, they only get one 1st rounder and so on. I am not sure what your beef is...do you?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Nobody is relying on any of them to be anything more than role players. They all fit a role in the scheme and they've all earned their spots at the bottom of the roster by beating out the other guys that used to be on the bottom of the roster, and they will likely soon be replaced by some other guys on the bottom of the roster unless they develop a bit and displace someone in the middle of the roster.

You keep looking at molehills with magnifying glasses.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
Exactly.

If 4th/ 5th/ 6th rounders weren't important to teams, they wouldn't even draft that deep.

Hold a 3 round draft, but then he would be complaining because we rely on free agents.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Let me make this as clear as possible through the words of Bill Belichick.

"Once you are here. I don't care how you got here. First round or, undrafted free agent. You will determine your own success. You will be given the chance to prove yourself."

Tom Brady heard that. He was a 6th rounder.

The Browns are not relying on anything if you can do the job better than those you are competing against.

T
Legend
Legend
T
GC. Talent and Team.
I just remember the rapport Baker seemed to have with Derrick Willies in what seems like 4 years ago now, 2019 I think, pre-season.
at 6'2 210, if Willis could make the 2021 Browns and we'd see the chemistry they'd have together for a full season, well that would solve a lot of problems wouldn't it.

He could take Schwartz's spot and that would allow them to keep Hodge.
Keep all players except if anyone were injured actually,
Felton, D'Ernest, the Fullback,
all 4 tight ends, or 5
OBJ, DPJ, Higgins and Landry, Hunt, Chubb, Willies, and Hodge.

I don't know why Willies Couldn't get on the team he seemed to only make plays, and D'Ernest is/was the best returner,
ald DPJ would do, is too often take a fair catch inside the 10 with open field to run.
All I'm saying is IF Willies could get on the team we already know he can hang on to a catch and Baker makes him look like a world beater.

Legend
Legend
Willies has 3 catches for 61 yards in his Browns career ........ is that a "world beater"? If so, it appears to me that the world has gotten an awful lot easier to beat than I recall.

At least lament Damian Ratley, who had 23 catches for 344 yards and a TD while a member of the team. At least he produced something here.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last year we did pretty well and were missing Odell.

IMO receiver is a non issue for the Browns.

In fact I would be comfortable with our second and third string.

Higgins, DPJ, Schwartz, Hodge, Willie.

We also have Ja'marcus Bradley and Alexander Hollins both have good measureables.

The one thing that should put everyone at peace. Andrew Berry never stops trying to improve the team. If he sees an opportunity to bring in a guy for a look see. He will do it.

I don't think there is a position that we would not try to improve if he thinks he can.

There is not much stated on this Board about Case Keenum. If Baker were to get injured;(I sure hope will never happen) Case could step in a win games. I am sure of that.

When you look at the roster were Berry made the decisions. There is no much to find fault with.

Legend
Legend
Also, and what no one is considering at this early date, is that we may go with 5 WR and 4 RB, with Felton being able to swing between the 2 roles. WRs could be Jarvis, OBJ, Higgins, DPJ, and Schwartz ...... and then Chubb, Hunt, and Johnson, with Felton as the swing/6th WR/4th RB.

I would consider that a possibility, depending on how things shake out.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
Also, and what no one is considering at this early date, is that we may go with 5 WR and 4 RB, with Felton being able to swing between the 2 roles. WRs could be Jarvis, OBJ, Higgins, DPJ, and Schwartz ...... and then Chubb, Hunt, and Johnson, with Felton as the swing/6th WR/4th RB.

That wouldn't be horrible at all..

What about Natson? Does he fit in on special teams or something... Or is he a goner

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Good point. I forgot about Fenton.

I really like his tape. He is a guy to watch in camp. He may be surprise.

Legend
Legend
Unless the ST coach wants him kept as a returner, Natson is probably on the outside looking in. He brings speed to the table, but Schwartz brings more of it.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Good point. I forgot about Fenton.

I really like his tape. He is a guy to watch in camp. He may be surprise.

I didn't forget, fact first thing I thought about, was the "that 70's show charcter, but had to check.

Demetric Felton was the major Offensive weapon of UCLA,
Just for fun

, Fenton "was" the character (from That 70's show), name that popped in my head from the jewelry counter argument with fez.
copy and paste wiki.
Fenton was a jewelry store employee where Eric goes to buy Donna's engagement ring. He appears in several later episodes and becomes the landlord for Fez and Kelso's (later Fez and Jackie's) apartment in seasons 7 and 8.
Portrayed by: Jim Rash
Season(s): 5, 6, 7, 8
"Community" star Jim Rash portrayed Fenton, an employee at a jewelry store.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns Cornerback room is not deep enough.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Our success this season will be gauged by how well we implement OBJ into our offense. If Baker goes looking for him every play we are screwed. If Baker is just able to go through his progressions and find the open player we are good. OBJ is the X factor. If we don't key on him every play, we have a very dynamic offense.

“It doesn't make sense to hire smart people and tell them what to do; we hire smart people so they can tell us what to do.” -Steve Jobs.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan

We signed Hodge, so there's that.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
The Browns Cornerback room is not deep enough.

I’m still waiting on you to find me another team’s 5th and 6th option WRs you’d trade ours for.

[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Talent and Team

Link Copied to Clipboard