Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1865290 05/23/21 03:47 PM
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
It's been a while since people have posted pics, and I couldn't find the old thread. Here are a few from a birding outing on Friday.

Pied billed grebe babies with mom looking on

Bald eagle

Eastern screech owl

Philadelphia vireo

Green heron

Say cheese!

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
1 member likes this: GratefulDawg
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
One of these things is not like the others!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend
This is what it's like to mess up onstage. E'rbody is drawing their bows to the right, yours is going left.

No worse feeling in the world.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Love the photo of the bald eagle. It’s almost like they know they’re being photographed haha

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Last chance for dinner!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
what is the release date of your coffee table book?

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Been trying out mirrorless cameras to see if I want to switch. Images shot with a canon r6 and 100-500 rf lens.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
Been trying out mirrorless cameras to see if I want to switch. Images shot with a canon r6 and 100-500 rf lens.

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

[]

Those pics are awesome. Nice work. Did you find the auto focus comparable to your dslr? Were you able to lock on quickly to those in flight pics? The eye detection on these cameras is really getting props on the message boards.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
Thanks.

The R6 is definitely a capable camera. For the most part, the AF performed as good as my dslr. The jets came out great. For non-moving objects, the IS was great. The army chopper, took some shots at slower shutter speeds and still got sharp shots at 1/40 handheld. Even got a decent shot at 1/25 handheld. Thats on a stationary target.

The 2 cons I found so far is slower shutter speed on moving objects. For prop planes, I typically start at 1/250 or 1/200. With the R6, I felt like I blurred a lot more. This is not to say the camera is the problem. I think there may be a mix of settings(more AF options I haven't tried yet) and handling by me. Mirrorless gear is lighter and I think this may be resulting in my camera shake from me.

The other partial con is the electtronic viewfinder. I'm still mixed on this. It's great in the sense that you can see what the picture is like as you take. For prop planes, I can see what kind of prop blur I will get before I take the picture. There were times as I was panning, where the plane just disappear from the view finder even though I was pointing right at it. It's almost like the view finder wasn't keeping up with the panning. I put a question out on another forum to see if anyone knows what the deal is with that.

The downside to the viewfinder is working in sunlight. I have prescription sunglasses. These days, they seem to polarize lcd screens on phones and cameras so you can see them in the sun. The polarization from my sunglasses seems to cancel out with the screen and the screen/viewfinder is hard to see with sunglasses on. I have to deal with limited visibility with sunglasses or go with no sunglasses to see the screen, but be blinded when I look to the sky.

The R6 only has tracking for people and animals. I haven't tried that much. The upcoming R3 has tracking for motorsports. I'm really looking forward to that. The R3 may be whats gets me to buy into mirrorless.

It's supposed to be hard! If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great!
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Just a heads up, beginning Monday at 4pm, the "Bear Cams" at Brooks Falls, AK. - Katmai National Park, are scheduled to become operational for the 2021 Bear Watching Season.

It is good stuff if you enjoy nature..especially if you enjoy watching an animal species not native to Berea, Ohio.

Last edited by mac; 06/12/21 10:03 AM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
North East PA Train Museum(near New York border) off I-90
I can't get this to post.

https://ibb.co/sWR0m3K

Last edited by sk8termom; 07/10/21 07:30 PM.

#gmstrong
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Rocky Mountain National Park is a truly wonderful place. I thought we'd check it out for an evening and a day to finish our trip out west for our son's wedding. I thought I'd grab a few elk pics and maybe a landscape or 2. I had no idea how beautiful this park is. I wish I would have done my homework and budgeted more time there.

This misty scene greeted us when we first entered the park during a steady rain.

Saw this guy shortly afterward.

Got a tip where some bighorn sheep might be hanging out, went there and heard coyotes howling. I was lucky to get this shot.

Some moose showed up also.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
You have to stop killing it like this.

The bar is now 'Usain-ly' high.
Take a break... and give us mere mortals a chance to breathe.

This is the stuff that gets me. NatGeo-type stuff.
I need to grab some gear and get out there while I can still move.

Damn, bro...
Thank You.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks. The man upstairs did the hard work, though.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
It blows my mind that I'm over here getting my shutter speed correct MAYBE 1/2 the time, and not only is he getting his shots perfect but he can also find/time these like they are.

How long did it take you to find an enormous deer, coyotes howling, AND an elk taking a bath? There are people that will take a whole day to walk around and not see any of that.

Unreal. Must've been such a satisfying stop.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
It blows my mind that I'm over here getting my shutter speed correct MAYBE 1/2 the time, and not only is he getting his shots perfect but he can also find/time these like they are.

How long did it take you to find an enormous deer, coyotes howling, AND an elk taking a bath? There are people that will take a whole day to walk around and not see any of that.

Unreal. Must've been such a satisfying stop.

We got into the park on the evening of the 3rd and spent the 4th there all day. The very first thing I do when entering a national park is ask the ranger at the entrance station where the best place is to see whatever wildlife I'm interested in. I talk to other photographers and rangers every chance I get. Most are friendly and willing to share information, and I return the favor every chance I get.

The elk pic was actually taken from my truck while driving. The coyotes and moose both were taken from an area where the rangers told us to look for bighorn sheep. A bit of luck was involved there. There were 2 other moose that mosied in with this one.

With birds/wildlife, shutterspeed is everything. I'll sacrifice not getting a great background or upping the ISO to accept more noise in order to keep the speed up. Just make sure the eyes are in focus.

I have a bazillion more pics from this trip that I haven't even looked at yet.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
How were the crowds? I haven't been up to that park in a while and I keep hearing about crowds. I know they kept the reservation system they started during covid to try and control it a bit.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Originally Posted By: Squires
How were the crowds? I haven't been up to that park in a while and I keep hearing about crowds. I know they kept the reservation system they started during covid to try and control it a bit.

Crowds were not bad at all. Compared to other parks like Yellowstone, the Tetons and the Smokies, I would consider them very tolerable. There was parking available at most pullovers. We weren't there on a weekend, and it was raining our first evening there, so that may have played a part.

We were blindsided by the reservation requirement and they are very difficult to get. We lucked onto one for the Bear Lake corridor at 4-6pm on the 3rd by calling at exactly 5pm the day before for extra available passes. We couldn't get one for the 4th (those things get scarfed up in minutes), but you can do the Trail Ridge Road if you enter before 9am or after 3pm. You can also do the Bear Lake corridor before 5am or after 6pm without a reservation.

As I said, I wish I would have done my homework and arranged to spend more time there. The scenery along Trail Ridge Road is spectacular. The elk pic was taken about halfway down the road to Bear Lake. The coyote and moose pics were taken at Sheep Lakes. We saw mule deer in multiple locations and a huge herd of elk above the treeline and in photo range near the Rock Cut overlook. Marmots and picas practically posed for us at the Forest Canyon pullover. We struck out on the bighorn sheep.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
When I was in high school, we used to spend two weeks in Estes Park each summer. Hiked many of the mountains and lakes. Chiefs Head Peak was one of my favorite hikes. Andrews Glacier was very cool, too. Slid down the glacier. Love Rocky Mountain NP.

Mirror Lake in RNP is another great spot to hike.

You should definitely make a point to go back and spend some time there. Absolutely beautiful.

Incredible eye for photography.

S
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
S
You timed your trip well. It snowed on trail ridge road last night.

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Whoah. That drive is pretty intense when the road is dry. I wanted to take that Fall River road up to the visitor's center, but my wife wouldn't have it. I can't imagine what that drive and the views are like. I've done driven through some high mountain passes before, but nothing I've travelled compared to the views from Trail Ridge Road. The Beartooth pass in Montana was close.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Trying to post another picture;

Last edited by sk8termom; 08/22/21 07:22 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Not a Pulitzer winning photo, but my wife skydived for the second time this past Saturday... jumped from 13k'.

E
Legend
Legend
E

This little fellow somehow got into my house. He is a baby blue-tailed (five lined) skink. He is about 3 inches long and very cute. I caught him in my family room and put him outside. When he grows up he will be about 8 inches long.

Unlike the anoles, he didn't try to bite me.

My porch/deck is home to anoles and skinks as they like to sun themselves. And there's plenty of bugs to eat.

No Craps Given
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
That video is AWESOME! Really impressive the skill and planning/effort that must've went into that.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Boulder Falls. This was near the venue for my son's wedding.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
jfan, that is a great looking location for a wedding. Best wishes to the couple.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
That's freaking cool. Congrats to your son, and to you!

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Congrats on the wedding! Not sure by your wording if it's upcoming or already past.

Two questions:

What's the shutter speed on that shot? (I'm a novice with an expensive camera and need to learn)

Who is the Mermaid in the bottom of the pic?

Okay, three...

Any helpful advice for someone who knows nothing much more than "point and shoot" to unlock the potential of a Canon 40D? I bought it about ten years ago to take food pics for my menus and haven't used it much because it's so complicated.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Thanks! The wedding was August 1st, it was a beautiful venue right outside of Boulder Colorado in Boulder canyon.

I didn't notice the mermaids until you pointed them out, lol.

Shutter speed was 0.4 seconds. You have to go slow and use a tripod to get that cottony look to rushing water, and hope that no wind gust comes along to blur the foilage.

The best advice I can give is to learn and understand the exposure triangle.....the relationship between shutter speed, aperture and ISO. This is the key to taking your photo skills to the next level, and they are the same principles that have been applicable since the beginning days of photography. There's a book called "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson that explains it beautifully, better than anything I've seen in print or online. It's an easy read and will give you all the information you need to get you out of the "green square" automatic mode and getting the full benefit of owning a DSLR. He gives ballpark settings for different situations and explains why and how to fine tune them in easy to understand terms. My only beef is how he pushes using full manual for everything. There are times when shutter or aperture priority is important, IMO.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Awesome, bro. Thanks! Checked out the book and it seems like it would be much better than trying to learn from a youtube video!

jfanent Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
You're absolutely right. I have the first edition of that book from 2004, and it was a game changer for me. It actually had a subtitle of "How to Shoot Great Photographs with a Film or Digital Camera". I don't really see a need to get a newer edition (it's up to 4 now), the principles aren't going to change.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Yeah, I tried some of the vids... no patience for that when everyone wants to explain every feature of the camera for fifteen minutes before there's anything of substance that will actually help. And the camera, like every other piece of modern electronics, has everything but a cheese grater on it -- takes hours of use before you can even figure out the menu!

Thanks again. thumbsup

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: EveDawg

This little fellow somehow got into my house. He is a baby blue-tailed (five lined) skink. He is about 3 inches long and very cute. I caught him in my family room and put him outside. When he grows up he will be about 8 inches long.

Unlike the anoles, he didn't try to bite me.

My porch/deck is home to anoles and skinks as they like to sun themselves. And there's plenty of bugs to eat.

Wow, that's a first for me Eve...never heard of skink before...a southern lizard?

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Photography thread

Link Copied to Clipboard