Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
cfrs15 #1856675 04/07/21 05:15 AM
Legend
Legend
J/c

So it’s pretty apparent that QBs are going to go 1-3, right?

- JAX: Lawrence
- NYJ: Wilson
- SF: Fields/Lance/Jones

So the draft starts with ATL, who is probably fielding calls now

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
bonefish #1856678 04/07/21 06:24 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think all of the reasons you listed are absolutely true we had a very similar situation here as well when Bake arrived as you know as bad as the Jets were and are we were worse.

We made a great move by firing Freddie and bringing in KS, and KS bringing in AVP. They understand how to coach and develop a young QB. Early on KS went to Austin and spent time with Bake, and the rest is history. But KS had a plan to develop Bake in his system, and he used the running game especially early on to allow Bake time to develop in that system. When they hit the mid point of the season they evaluated what worked well and fit Bake the best.

I think coaches have to go very very slow with young QB's keep everything very simple allow the young QB time to gain confidence and slowly expand you're playbook. To much to fast and things go sideways. If the talent is there good coaches bring that talent out bad one's ask too much, to early and ruin the QB. Early on it's not so much about wining as it is building confidence.

Bake had the makeup and belief in himself that despite his struggles in 2019 he was able to put that behind himself and go forward. I think KS was a huge part of the reason that Bake did a 180 and improved so much in the second half of the season.

I forget what game it was but all of a sudden Bake was moving safeties with his eyes. I was like this kid is rounding into a solid QB because his coach is setting him up for that success.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

Just imagine what may have happened "if" Dorsey and Freddie were not fired?

IMO Dorsey was a good evaluator of talent. Freddie proved that he was not head coach material.

Dorsey may have hired another coach and built the offense to aid in the development of Baker.

However, the combination of Berry and Stefanski. That was the real formula. Berry immediately went for the weapons and protection for Baker. Signed Conklin, Hooper and drafted Wills. Made sure Chubb and Hunt remained to provide a dynamic rushing attack.

KS tailored the offense to feature play action. Then as the season progressed he kept fine tuning what worked best for Baker.

That is how you develop a quarterback.

Baker has the tools. But he could have failed easily if he was not supported.

The marriage between head coach and qb is critical. So is the marriage between head coach and GM.

It has taken what seems like a lifetime. But the Browns finally have it right.

For the foreseeable future we as fans will be enjoying the golden era of the Browns.

WSU Willie #1856691 04/07/21 08:25 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
j/c

Darnold has been wildly over-rated since his awesome Freshman year...seems like a good guy (like Ogunjobi), but he's simply not very good.

Maybe,, but think of this, Baker looked pretty bad in his second year. Then in comes Stefanski and Baker looks like the guy we hoped for all along.

I'm not standing up for Darnold, I just think if you are gonna grade him, the right grade is "incomplete"!

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
bonefish #1856700 04/07/21 09:01 AM
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Add Trubisky to that list.

Mind boggling that so much research goes into the evaluations and still so many never reach expectations.

Just for the record Nagy sucks as a coach I mean he is probably the least impressive coach I have seen and worse yet as a NFL QB guru.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1856709 04/07/21 09:27 AM
Legend
Legend

That could be.

At best though Trubisky was inconsistent.

My point is about the process of picking and developing a quarterback.

The right combination of GM, HC, and surrounding talent has to be right or the chances of failure are greatly increased.

cfrs15 #1856728 04/07/21 10:39 AM
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
bonefish #1856751 04/07/21 12:02 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

The marriage between head coach and qb is critical. So is the marriage between head coach and GM.
Sooo, KS is a polygamist?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Damanshot #1856755 04/07/21 12:23 PM
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
j/c

Darnold has been wildly over-rated since his awesome Freshman year...seems like a good guy (like Ogunjobi), but he's simply not very good.

Maybe,, but think of this, Baker looked pretty bad in his second year. Then in comes Stefanski and Baker looks like the guy we hoped for all along.

I'm not standing up for Darnold, I just think if you are gonna grade him, the right grade is "incomplete"!

That very-well could be the case...I simply don't think it is/was. To me, Darnold never got any better after his freshman year in college. I didn't ever see the arm "talent" or the accuracy that Baker showed consistently.

While Baker struggled in 2019 he was a stud in his rookie year...with both years being ridiculously dysfunctional - as they were for Darnold. I say that as praise for Baker and not an indictment of Darnold (for not being able to have any success is his own dysfunction.)

He seems like a good guy who is easy to root for (now that he is out of NY). I hope he turns it on/around in Carolina...I just don't think he will...not as a starter anyway. Two years in big-time college ball...regressing after year 1...3rd overall pick...I didn't - and don't - see it.

BTW, I don't consider myself good at evaluating football players...so there's always that.

W84NxtYrAgain #1856760 04/07/21 01:09 PM
Legend
Legend
Got me.

Maybe a threesome or something.

W84NxtYrAgain #1856786 04/07/21 04:34 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

Sooo, KS is a polygamist?

It's called a throuple ... yucK!

[Linked Image]

bonefish #1856847 04/08/21 05:49 AM
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think the Jets made a huge mistake letting Darnold go. First, there's only one Trevor Lawrence in this draft and the Jets are not getting him. All of the other QB's are rated significantly behind Lawrence thus present a much higher risk. Second, the Jets have a weak line, sub par wide outs, and only serviceable RB's at best. Drafting a QB at number 2 does nothing to address those issues. Now signing Davis and Cole at WR helps but still leaves questions about their #1 WR. Signing Coleman at RB is nothing more than an old 3rd down back. Three, drafting OT Becton in 2020 proved fruitful as he graded out to a 74.4. By comparison, Wills rated at 61.5 for Cleveland. However, one good OL does not make a good line as evident of the Jets 29th rated offensive line.

The Jets had the opportunity to draft OT Sewell at the #2 slot giving them bookend tackles for years to come. With the picks they possessed, the Jets could have addressed OG, RB, and WR still this year giving Darnold the line and weapons needed to compete. Add into the fact that this would be year 3 for Darnold and the growing pains should be significantly less than that of a rookie at the position with no line or weapons.

Finally and most importantly, if Darnold falters with the offensive improvements made, the Jets have 2 more 1st round and 2 second round picks in 2022. They also are unaware of what veteran QB's that will be available next off season. Bottom line is the Jets had a golden opportunity to address the line and weapon issue which every QB needs to be successful which Darnold has not experienced at all while in NY.

You have to question the FO mindset to be considering drafting another rookie QB when you have done nothing so far to address an offensive line that was rated 29th during the past season. I don't care who they draft - they are in for a very long season (mostly on their backs) playing for a team that has put nothing in the improvement of an already poor line. God Help whoever they select.........

Just "KICKING THAT CAN DOWN the ROAD"
steve0255 #1856850 04/08/21 06:11 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Only time will tell, but I agree. Darnold didn't have a real good chance in NY I think a change will do him well.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
WSU Willie #1856855 04/08/21 07:09 AM
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
j/c

That very-well could be the case...I simply don't think it is/was. To me, Darnold never got any better after his freshman year in college. I didn't ever see the arm "talent" or the accuracy that Baker showed consistently.

While Baker struggled in 2019 he was a stud in his rookie year...with both years being ridiculously dysfunctional - as they were for Darnold. I say that as praise for Baker and not an indictment of Darnold (for not being able to have any success is his own dysfunction.)

He seems like a good guy who is easy to root for (now that he is out of NY). I hope he turns it on/around in Carolina...I just don't think he will...not as a starter anyway. Two years in big-time college ball...regressing after year 1...3rd overall pick...I didn't - and don't - see it.

BTW, I don't consider myself good at evaluating football players...so there's always that.

So now our favorite sports reporter, Tony Grossi, comes out with a tweet asking if Baker Mayfield could have survived had he been drafted by NY Jets instead of by Cleveland...what a bonehead. Baker survived the MOST dysfunctional franchise in NFL history! Hue Jackson and Freddie Kitchens? Anyway, good luck Sam.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 04/08/21 07:11 AM.
steve0255 #1856856 04/08/21 07:42 AM
Legend
Legend

I agree with all you stated.

With Adam Gase and that roster no qb would have had a chance.

However, there are economics to consider. They will draft Wilson and have him under a rookie deal. They would have had to make a decision with Darnold about his contract.

They have picks and are better prepared to build around a new quarterback. And then there is the head coach. Saleh has to be a upgrade over Gase.

Lastly there is Zach Wilson. How will he turn out?

I really like him. He has many traits that make for a good quarterback. Every thing he does. He does quickly. He fits the popular phrase "twitchy."

He has quick feet. He can set up fast. Move and reset quickly. His arm is good. But what I really like is his release. Very fast. Ball jumps out of his hands.

The NFL is a faster game than college. And Wilson has that quickness in his game. He has that ability to throw accurately off platform. Not many can do that. Rodgers and Mahomes are the prototype. Wilson can do it as well. He moves well and can throw well in motion.

I understand the move. May not agree. But in the end. It is all about Wilson. If he turns out. It is a good move. If not. Heads will roll.

steve0255 #1856859 04/08/21 07:56 AM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Chuma Edoga, the Jets other OT, had basically the same PFF grade as Wills (61.3) and they drafted Cameron Clark last year as well. McGovern is solid at center. Alex Lewis was also solid at 1 guard spot (66.6 per PFF.) They'll still have 8 other picks this year after taking Wilson including pick 23 and an extra 3rd rounder. They should be able to find a decent guard somewhere in there.

Darnold was going into year 4 rather than year 3 (Same as Baker), so they had to make a decision on his 5th year option (guaranteeing ~18.8M) where he wouldn't be cheap any more. Darnold was last in the league in a bunch of passing categories (and PFF's worst passing grade of qualifying QBs since 2018.) Could he turn it around? Maybe, but there's no guarantee, and, if he did, they'd have to start paying him veteran starting QB money. Wilson is a good QB prospect and restarts the rookie QB contract clock. It's hard to pass on a top QB prospect when you have a chance to draft one, especially when the alternative is sticking with a guy who hasn't been good through 3 seasons.

They got 3 picks for Darnold including a future 2 which will help them build around the new QB. That's hard to turn down when Darnold looks like damaged goods (the mic has caught him saying that he's seeing ghosts) and they have a potential franchise QB staring them in the face. Starting fresh is probably best for everyone involved.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
steve0255 #1856860 04/08/21 08:00 AM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Their biggest problem (before Oline) was actually Gase. New guy will still be better off than Darnold. As you mentioned, they have Becton so they have the beginnings of at least a competent Oline. They could be taking the strategy of seeing what they have at QB and then dumping a bunch of money into the Oline next offseason.

Not how I would do it, but it's something.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
cfrs15 #1860048 04/28/21 01:50 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

cfrs15 #1860053 04/28/21 02:04 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Broncos can't believe Lock and Bridgewater will take them anywhere, I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
cfrs15 #1860067 04/28/21 02:58 PM
All Pro
All Pro
Surprised they didn't trade for Tyrod Taylor.

Teddy's never mentored a rookie before.

People ask me what I do in spring when there's no football. I'll tell you what I do. I stare out the window and wait for fall
RedBaron #1860082 04/28/21 03:45 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
I understand you point and certainly agree with you. I do see another side of this as well. When you draft a rookie it may be a while before he is ready to start. A good HC isn't going to rush a rookie QB and chance in regressing his development.

I can see a scenario by which they certainly see Bridgewater as a better option to win some games while preparing the rookie over Drew Lock and that was their main goal in this.

Not saying that's the case but I do think it's a possibility. Upgrading depth at the QB position.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
PastorMarc #1860088 04/28/21 04:56 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
... I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO

Sorry to disagree with you, Pastor, but I don't see that happening. Something about 'three's a crowd'...

Last edited by bbrowns32; 04/28/21 04:56 PM.

When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the losers...Socrates
bbrowns32 #1860092 04/28/21 05:19 PM
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: bbrowns32
Originally Posted By: PastorMarc
... I still see them drafting a QB .... JMO

Sorry to disagree with you, Pastor, but I don't see that happening. Something about 'three's a crowd'...

You could be right, I don't think they want anymore to do with Lock and will try to trade him ...

John 3:16 Jesus said "For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life."
cfrs15 #1860098 04/28/21 06:28 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Bridgewater is a good fit for Denver.
They won a playoff game with what's his name, Tim Tebow.

Bridgewaters' game is probably more well rounded than Tebows' was.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Dawgs4Life #1860103 04/28/21 07:48 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
How about these Quarterbacks for the Browns.
Heres the thing, wiki site lists qb's and games they started in a year, so I spent 5 minutes sorting them most to least, and, Duh! scroll down
and it's got different numbers for how many games a qb started, next to their name.
Anyway I'm looking to take the best names off and make a poll on the best 4, of the bad ones.

But I'm using My numbers for starts because I spent 10 minutes adding and sorting them.
Before the hiaitis, and only going back so far

Brian Sipe 109 starts
Bernie Kosar 96
Vinny Testaverde 31 starts
Paul Mcdonald, 21
Mike Tomczak 8 starts

------ Then the hiatis from 1996-1998-----

Tim Couch 59 starts
Baker Mayfield 45
Derek Anderson 31 starts
Colt McCoy 21
Brandon Weeden 20 starts
Charlie Frye 19
Brian Hoyer 16 starts
Deshone Kizer 15
Brady Quinn 12 starts
Josh McCown 11
Jeff Garcia 11
Trent Dilfer 10 starts
Kelly Holcob 10 starts
Cody Kessler 8, Johnny Manziel 8 and Jason Campbell had 8 starts,+ Doug Pederson 8

Senneca Wallace 7, RG III 5, Tyrod Taylor 3.

Of the ones from 1999 to recently, pick any 5, must pick 5.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
cfrs15 #1860389 04/29/21 08:29 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C

cfrs15 #1865339 05/24/21 12:30 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
Hot take:

Trade OBJ for whatever

Trade for Julio Jones

cfrs15 #1865344 05/24/21 12:48 PM
D
Legend
Legend
D

Offer them a 2nd round pick and Beckham.

Dave #1865356 05/24/21 02:02 PM
C
cfrs15 Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
C
That wouldn’t help their cap much.

cfrs15 #1865363 05/24/21 02:57 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
MemphisBrownie #1865365 05/24/21 03:21 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
Might sprinkle a little on San Fran.

Releasing Travis Benjamin will free up an additional $1.075M in cap space!

cfrs15 #1865366 05/24/21 03:26 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
OBJ won't be going anywhere in 21

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Milk Man #1865367 05/24/21 03:28 PM
M
Legend
Legend
M
1. I would choose Baltimore over SF with the same odds.
2. Does the (A) for Los Angeles mean the city's A-team? tongue

Tackles are tackles.
Milk Man #1865372 05/24/21 04:53 PM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Might sprinkle a little on San Fran.

Releasing Travis Benjamin will free up an additional $1.075M in cap space!

I'll never forget this Travis Benjamin moment:

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
jfanent #1865381 05/24/21 08:14 PM
Legend
Legend
Little skin in the game. LOL nanner brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Dave #1865386 05/24/21 09:54 PM
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Dave

Offer them a 2nd round pick and Beckham.

Maybe KhaDarel Hodge and a second.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
cfrs15 #1865392 05/24/21 10:44 PM
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
if we can't financially afford Richardson, we certainly can't afford a broken Julio Jones.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
superbowldogg #1865398 05/24/21 11:34 PM
Legend
Legend
We have no need for him.

We're past the point of chasing shiny objects

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

PrplPplEater #1865399 05/25/21 12:10 AM
L
Legend
Legend
L
Yeah, I’m thinking we don’t need him cuz we have a good WR already, don’t want to afford him and so.... no thank you.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
PrplPplEater #1865402 05/25/21 06:36 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
We have no need for him.

We're past the point of chasing shiny objects

I agree. At some point you can have too much. It's like some women and make-up. You can have just the right amount. Keep adding and you end up looking like Mimi.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Trades

Link Copied to Clipboard