Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1866287 06/02/21 07:10 PM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I listened to KS's presser today.

Walker's name came up. Kevin made a reference to "he came as advertised and I'm impressed."

Mike is a important role on this team. It has been a captain's position. The lead communcator who lines people up and can call assignments.

Walker's addition to the Browns has not gained much attention. All of the defensive player changes are spoken of except his name is rarely mentioned. He is maybe under appreciated by most fans. I don't that is the case with the coaches.

Darius Leonard made a point that this guy is a big time player. He was a mentor to Leonard. And Leonard spoke very highly about him and said we are fortunate to have him.

I think we will use many packages. JOK is a rookie. Malcomb Smith is back. It may be Walker who is the guy who stays on the field.

His reputation is one of a leader and a great tackler. A guy with speed who can also cover.

I listened to his interview. He came across like his reputation. He is articulate and comes across as all business.

I hope he is great add and proves to be the player the coaches want him to be.

Legend
Legend
After hearing how he was such a mentor for Leonard, I've been very interested to see/hear what he does for JOK.

I don't know much at all about him as a player, but his reputation as a leader, teacher, and role model for other players is kinda off the charts. The sorts of farewells he got from Indy is really uncommon and I'm looking forward to seeing his impact on the guys in this defense.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

There has to be good reasons for the type accolades he has received from playing with the Colts.

He was one of the first guys we signed in free agency.

I am expecting to play a big role in our defense.

Of all the units coming into Camp linebacker and DT may be the most interesting.

Malcomb Smith was resigned. So there is a reason for that. JOK was drafted. Walker signed. Phillips was a third rounder last year. They like him a lot as a rangy guy who can tacjkle and cover.

Then there is Wilson and Taki. two guys drafted before Berry was GM.

How this will shake out will be interesting.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I listened to KS's presser today.

Walker's name came up. Kevin made a reference to "he came as advertised and I'm impressed."

Mike is a important role on this team. It has been a captain's position. The lead communcator who lines people up and can call assignments.

Walker's addition to the Browns has not gained much attention. All of the defensive player changes are spoken of except his name is rarely mentioned. He is maybe under appreciated by most fans. I don't that is the case with the coaches.

Darius Leonard made a point that this guy is a big time player. He was a mentor to Leonard. And Leonard spoke very highly about him and said we are fortunate to have him.

I think we will use many packages. JOK is a rookie. Malcomb Smith is back. It may be Walker who is the guy who stays on the field.

His reputation is one of a leader and a great tackler. A guy with speed who can also cover.

I listened to his interview. He came across like his reputation. He is articulate and comes across as all business.

I hope he is great add and proves to be the player the coaches want him to be.

I didn't want to brag about him as I'm a homer and the positives are great. I cannot wait to see him in action he is so key...I'll stop there cause it will be all positives...lol laugh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
eotab #1866369 06/03/21 10:43 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

We are all homers.

After suffering through so much to get here. I am damn proud to be a homer.

We still have to play but the changes made to the defense are what makes the Browns for real.

We have a great offense.

This year we don't have to duck and cover when the defense takes the field.

I am over the top to see this defense. We have added a bunch of premier talent.

Plus I like some of the long shots.

Curtis Weaver, Marvin Wilson, Malik McDowell.

I also believe that Takk is going to play a big role.

My favorite player in the 2021 draft was Jeremiah Owusu Koramoah. I love this guys game.

Walker is comparing him Darius Leonard.

High praise. But I really believe in JOK.

Homer? Hell yes.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
This is premature, but based on everything I've read about this guy, I hope we find a way to extend him this season so we don't lose him. Of course Baker, Chubb, Teller, Ward, etc...are first, but at this point, I don't want to take a chance on losing him

eotab #1866422 06/03/21 05:38 PM
Legend
Legend
I hope he is the real deal and doesn't disappoint. I am giddy about the fact that if he holds up, then we are strong up the middle on D with a bunch of hot spots to drive the OC's nuts.

Ordering extra popcorn on Amazon. Get yours ready! nanner

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
T
Legend
Legend
T
" I hope he is the real deal and doesn't disappoint."
I think he will be solid.

I was thinking of doing a consideration of the top 4 most unimpressive, or disappointing Browns players from 2020, last year, now that it's in the books, and I know Walker wasn't on the team until this offseason.

Yet when I say unimpressive or disappointing I don't think everyone would understand that I'm considering
only
that individual player, to that individual players ceiling, therefore
a guy like Myles Garret would have the potential to be, only potential, it doesn't look like it would happen,
a potential to be one of the 4 most disappointing on the team, and the last man on the roster could have the potential to be the most motivated, / , impressive, /, not disappointing.

It would solely be a matter of how much effort and motivation they would appear to exhibit,
yet,
there's only so much one can see being only a fan, not some insider.

But to bring this back to Anthony Walker I think he would be very middle of the road, worst, and highly impressive best, apparently on a list like that, he appears to be solid and will help those around by doing his, and letting them do theirs.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
After hearing how he was such a mentor for Leonard, I've been very interested to see/hear what he does for JOK.

I don't know much at all about him as a player, but his reputation as a leader, teacher, and role model for other players is kinda off the charts. The sorts of farewells he got from Indy is really uncommon and I'm looking forward to seeing his impact on the guys in this defense.

Not just JOK, but Takitaki and Wilson... All young and talented to a degree. Can he help bring out the best...

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I still think we will trade Wilson for a conditional 5-7th. I also think he could be a "surprise" cut

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/ant...der-on-browns-d

Anthony Walker performing 'as advertised' as a new leader on Browns D
Jun 03, 2021 at 01:04 PM
poisal
Anthony Poisal
Staff Writer

Anthony Walker knew what his role would be within the Browns' linebackers room as soon as he inked a new deal with Cleveland at the beginning of the offseason.

Walker, a five-year veteran who made 321 tackles with the Indianapolis Colts the last three seasons, is primed to be a vocal leader and key contributor for a linebackers room full of young talent. Walker isn't the most experienced player of the group — that title belongs to Malcolm Smith, a 10-year veteran who re-signed with the Browns last season and carries valuable leadership skills, too — but he's proven he can handle the tallest tasks a linebacker can possess.

That's why Walker was in Berea this week and ready to begin acclimating with the rest of the defensive players in town for voluntary OTAs.

"I think that was the main thing for myself and a lot of the other guys is just to get here," he said Wednesday in a video call with local reporters. "First year in a new system, getting some new terminology and some new communication, which is huge as the MIKE linebacker. Getting that communication, getting that comfortability with the team and everybody, I think that is huge for my job description and a huge step in the right direction."

Photos: Phase 3 - Day 5
Check out exclusive photos of phase 3 of the offseason

RELATED LINKS
News Updates: Browns use versatile rookie Demetric Felton at WR in Wednesday's OTAs
Myles Garrett believes Browns D ‘will come together quicker than most anticipate’
Top 75 Moments: No. 59 - Jim Brown scores 5 touchdowns in 1st game vs. Johnny Unitas
Grant Delpit helps Houston mother replenish home following damages from winter storm
Top 75 Moments: No. 64 - Nick Chubb records longest run in franchise history
Browns Mailbag: How will Browns look to fill out safeties room in 2021?
It's no surprise Walker is being used as the MIKE linebacker. The position will require Walker to line up in the middle of the box and help position the rest of the defense efficiently based on the offense's formation. Communication and a loud voice is a necessity.

So is strong chemistry and trust with teammates. Those are some of the traits that Walker exemplified best with the Colts, and head coach Kevin Stefanski has already seen why Walker was such a popular player in Indy.

"I would say (he's performed) as advertised," Stefanski said. "You're playing that MIKE linebacker position, you're directing traffic, you're getting everybody lined up and you are, in a lot of ways, the quarterback of the defense. To see him communicate and to see his leadership on display in these types of settings is very impressive. I think he's the type of guy who we think embodies the type of style of play and the type of person we want in that locker room."

Walker, however, is keeping things simple as he begins a new chapter in Cleveland. Comfort with the playbook and terminology needed to communicate with the defense will increase over time, but to Walker, a linebacker's responsibilities can always be summarized down to the same tasks.

"A linebacker's job description is never going to change, which is to run, tackle the guy with the ball and intercept the quarterback and sack the quarterback," he said. "That is never going to change. Things are a little bit different as far as communication or the coverage, but everything for the most part is still playing linebacker."

That mindset has helped Walker become one of the more reliable linebackers in the NFL. Players don't record 90 or more tackles for three straight seasons without earning the trust of coaches and players around them, and Walker has already begun to accomplish that over his first three months on the Browns.

Walker wants to be a role model and elevate the talents of the rest of the linebackers group, which includes second-round rookie Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, second-year player Jacob Phillips and third-year veterans Sione Takitaki and Mack Wilson. Montrel Meander and Elijah Lee round out the room, too, and have previously carried roles on special teams.

For Walker, voluntary OTAs should help him build those bonds even more.

It's all part of the process of coming into training camp as sharp as possible, and Walker feels as though he's on that track.

"I've gotten a lot better from Day 1 to now with all the communication and everything like that, understanding the defense," he said. "Once all of the guys are here and we're going through defenses, gameplan, we will get everything figured out, but right now, it's my job to learn the fundamentals of the defense. That's what I'm trying to do now."

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Walker had this to say about Jeremiah.

"“Elite athlete as far as explosiveness, quickness, speed, instincts and all of that stuff. He has it — all of the tools,” Walker said.

" I have no doubt in my mind that he will be a great player in this league.”

M
Legend
Legend
M
Bitten Browns Fan Syndrome has me thinking that it can't possibly fall into place that many/most of our off season moves play up to or exceed expectations. It's hard to explain, but being hopeful without raising expectations is sort of where I am at. I almost want to stop talking about how good this year might be for fear of jinking us.

Walker was one of the guys when we signed him we heard a ton of positive spin in the media from Indy team mates. But we heard something a little similar last year when we signed Hooper. And while I like Hooper - I think he has disappointed in comparison to the hype that accompanied his signing.

Walker - Johnson - Hill - Takk - Malik - JOK - Newsome - Clowney ..... if half of them barely live up to potential / expectations, the D has been transformed. If they do more than that we have something really special.

Add returns from injury - Delphit, Greedy, Weaver .... it just adds extra dimensions.

Maybe this has all been said a bunch of times this offseason - but man we are *potentially* ready to put some hurt on other teams in the NFL. Berry deserves Kudos - I don't know how else he could have put together a roster that is primed and has the opportunity to be special. Can not wait to see them play ... can not wait.

Last edited by mgh888; 06/04/21 09:09 AM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
mgh888 #1866570 06/04/21 11:25 AM
Legend
Legend
The deeper I look, the more I see that our roster is being built to rival NFC teams like the Bucs & Saints, but they are trying to build it in a way that is sustainable.

Those rosters are just as stacked as us. Or, the Saints were, anyway.
I cannot think of a team in the AFC as stacked on both sides of the ball. I believe we have fully leap-frogged the teams in the AFC North.

The thing is, we have an incredible mix of guys who are proven elite, and guys who are future elite. We're taking flyers on guys like Malik McDowell in the hopes that they bloom and realize their potential and we can get a couple of cheaper years out of them. We have the mega-talents and household names; we have the solid mentors and role models to set the locker room tone and be the teachers.

I think our defense is actually going to be better than our offense, too.
Now, we just have to wait for them to put it all together.

Browns is the Browns

mgh888 #1866573 06/04/21 11:34 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The season looks like miles away but once camp opens. It gets rolling quick.

Everyday you get reports on how things look etc. Something to digest.

Now we just imagine. Battered Browns syndrome is something we all guard against.

I am throwing all caution to the wind. I like being this excited. I truly believe in this year.

If I could I would love to be some part of this staff. I just want to see this team get ready to play.

Then unleash the hounds.

There are so many sub-plots. So many little things that are so interesting.

The return of Delpit and Greedy. The addition of the free agents. The draft class. Baker's improvement. CubbHunt. Odell's return. The vast talent infusion on defense. The evolution of the offense. Camp battles. Long shot stories.

The Final Roster.

Drip drip until then.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I don't think much of Taki or Wilson they missed to many tackles to suit my taste buds.

Wilson coming out of camp last year talked like Tarzan but lets face it he plays like Jane, Taki is grossly undersized by the look of him add on top of that a bellow average tackler, no thanks.

I know their both young but they both could be camp casualties and I won't shed any tears. Sorry

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

CubbHunt.

CHUNT.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I had high hopes for Wilson and never thought much of Taki. Wilson faded and Taki began to improve toward the end of the year, so who know?

I think they both end up taking a back seat to Walker and Woo.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

CubbHunt.

CHUNT.
I'm not a fan of that nickname, it's an H away from being very insulting.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I agree.

Both drafted by Dorsey. Wilson has the size and speed. Taki was a Elliot Wolf recommendation.

Both are on notice. Wilson was benched by KS last year.

Berry drafted Phillips. They like his length and range.

Walker was brought in to tackle. Malcomb was resigned. JOK drafted.

Taki and Wilson were rookie roommates. They now know the score. "If" they make the team they will need a great camp.

Then prove they belong. They are fighting for work.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Taki actually played a good bit. He showed improvement. He had that one pic.

However, he will really have to show he is more than gap filler.

I see Walker, Phillips and JOK as the main guys.

This unit is open competition the best will play.

B
Legend
Legend
B
The deeper I look, the more I see that our roster is being built to rival NFC teams like the Bucs & Saints, but they are trying to build it in a way that is sustainable.

Those rosters are just as stacked as us. Or, the Saints were, anyway.
I cannot think of a team in the AFC as stacked on both sides of the ball. I believe we have fully leap-frogged the teams in the AFC North.

The thing is, we have an incredible mix of guys who are proven elite, and guys who are future elite. We're taking flyers on guys like Malik McDowell in the hopes that they bloom and realize their potential and we can get a couple of cheaper years out of them. We have the mega-talents and household names; we have the solid mentors and role models to set the locker room tone and be the teachers.

I think our defense is actually going to be better than our offense, too.
Now, we just have to wait for them to put it all together.

Sounds good to me, and I agree about the D. In the end I think it is easier to build a D if you bring in the players because plays and scheme don't factor in nearly as much. Beat your guy and swarm to the football.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

we are looking at 2 LB for our defense.

1. Walker intelligent and will be out there side line to sideline
lining up our defense and is a good tackler.

2. JOK the kid has game day speed and will be tenacious.

The rest are backups with Phillips being the first on board.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Like Taki, but I suspect his new position will be listed as ST or placeholder. Barring injuries, he plays much less this season.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
1st String
1st String
Yeah as need to earn the starting lineup. Not just have it handed on a silver platter. Hope he can play healthy though.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
eotab #1866721 06/06/21 08:33 AM
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

I can get on board with that. Sounds about spot on, though I think Phillips and JOK might swap a bit depending on who we play. Both will see a lot of play time.

With all the DB types we plan to play, I could see keeping only 1 other true LB on the roster. Maybe 2 tops.

Goodson should make the team unless 1 of Taki and Wislon really stand out. Otherwise, both of them might find the cut list.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: eotab
j/c...

I can get on board with that. Sounds about spot on, though I think Phillips and JOK might swap a bit depending on who we play. Both will see a lot of play time.

With all the DB types we plan to play, I could see keeping only 1 other true LB on the roster. Maybe 2 tops.

Goodson should make the team unless 1 of Taki and Wislon really stand out. Otherwise, both of them might find the cut list.

Goodson has zero chance at making the 53...ours anyway.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Yes, i have already been through that...Smith was who I was thinking of. Thanks for the notification.

I hope people read down to this point or I will have multiple posts letting me know I don't know what I am talking about. grin

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I suspect that the defensive numbers will end up as such:

DL - 9

LB - 6

DB - 10

Our DC likes to have waves of DL to throw at teams, and he likes playing sub defense frequently. We could even play some 3-3-5, and bring 1 or 2 blitzers. (or drop 6 into coverage at times, as well) Maybe we might even play a 5-1-5 on occasion. I think we will play a ton of formations to try and confuse the opposing QB.

We want a versatile defense, able to run almost any imaginable formation, and I think we will have the personnel to do so.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I keep forgetting about Phillips. He could help, if he can stay healthy.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/06...kin-browns.html

ABOUT LINEBACKERS

It was a rather quiet signing, but the Browns targeted Anthony Walker and went hard after the free-agent middle linebacker. They see him as a significant upgrade over B.J. Goodson – who has yet to sign with any team.

“He is one of the fastest linebackers in the league,” said GM Andrew Berry after Walker agreed to a 1-year, $3 million contract in March. Speed is a top priority for the Browns, especially at linebacker. It’s why they were delighted to draft Notre Dame’s Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah (JOK) in the second round.

Looking deeper into Berry’s two drafts, he grabbed a speedy Jacob Phillips in the third round of 2020. In the same 2021 draft as JOK, the Browns selected West Virginia’s Tony Fields Jr. (also fast) in the fifth round.

Since taking over as the Browns GM in 2020, Berry has overhauled the linebacker group. The only holdovers from the John Dorsey regime are Sione Takitaki and Mack Wilson. My guess is only one will make the opening day roster with Wilson most likely to be cut.

THE BIG PLAN

The Browns have two “tough, smart and accountable” veteran linebackers in Malcolm Smith and Walker. Smith is strong in pass coverage, and leadership skills. But the Browns expect Walker to lead the defense. They thought Goodson was solid in that area, but Walker can be special.

“He’s a very quick processor and very smart,” said Berry. “He called the defense in Indianapolis and he’s played Mike [middle linebacker] and Will [weakside]. He is an exceptional human being both on and off the field. He will have a strong presence in our locker room.”

Looking at the Profootballfocus grades, Walker came out average. While the Browns are an analytics-based team, they are flexible and consider intangibles. Walker oozes leadership. He would prepare his own scouting reports before receiving the coaching staff’s. Then he’d put them both together.

Colts coach Frank Reich called Walker “the heart and soul of this team.” Defensive coordinator Matt Eberflus raved about Walker’s preparation.

THE BACKGROUND ON WALKER

Yet, the Colts also let him go. Why?

The Colts have star linebacker Darius Leonard looking at an extension in the $18 million annual range. They have second-rounder Bobby Okereke on his rookie deal. Like most teams, the Colts don’t want to spend big money on linebackers – at least, not more than one.

“(Walker) has come as advertised,” Kevin Stefanski said earlier in the week during OTAs. “You are playing that Mike linebacker position. You are directing traffic. You are getting everybody lined up. You in a lot of ways are the quarterback of the defense.

“To see him communicate and to see his leadership on display in these types of settings is very impressive. I think he is the type of guy who embodies the style of play and the type of person we want in that locker room.”

Walker is only 25. In the last three seasons, he missed only one game while playing 70 percent of the defensive snaps.

PATIENCE WILL BE REQUIRED

There was a lot of excitement about the Browns picking JOK in the second round. He was predicted to be a middle-to-late first-rounder. Walker worked with JOK this week.

“Elite athlete as far as explosiveness, quickness, speed, instincts and all that stuff,” Walker said in his Zoom press conference. “He has all the tools. Now it’s about transitioning the game to the NFL level. ... We all struggle with it coming from college. ... He is a freak of nature athletically.”

There’s more.

“He reminds me of Darius Leonard,” Walker said. “Just a guy learning how to really understand the game of linebacker rather than just running and hitting. Everybody loves to run and hit as a linebacker, but the NFL game is a little different. ... I have no doubt in my mind he’ll be a great player in this league.”

But odds are it won’t be right away. Also, the Browns are contenders. No longer are high draft choices handed playing time as happened during the years of trying to rebuild the franchise.

Because Walker can play weak and middle linebacker, he can stay on the field when defensive coordinator Joe Woods switches to his preferred formation of two linebackers and three safeties.

ABOUT THE BROWNS

1. I would not be surprised if Walker and Smith played a lot together. Or perhaps Walker and Jacob Phillips in those two-linebacker sets.

2. Berry on Walker: “He’s a guy whose range and tenacity fits well with how we view the modern linebacker. We also think he’s a good cover-guy, specifically with his ability to match running backs coming out of the backfield.

3. JOK fits that description, but he is a rookie. Smith is very good in coverage, which is why he played 97 percent of the snaps in the playoff games vs. Kansas City. Goodson played 75 percent of the snaps last season. Smith was next at 51 percent. Takitaki played 40 percent, Wilson 34 percent.

4. Phillips was hurt a lot last season. In 2021, the door is wide open for him to join Walker and Smith as the third starter. It’s too early to know if JOK can quickly develop. But the plan is for him to learn from Walker and others, and that has already started in OTAs.

5. “When I came in as a rookie, (OTAs were) huge for me,” said Walker. “Even going into Year 5. ... I need to be here getting a live look at (the defense) with the motions and walk-throughs going against the offense. ... I’ve gotten a lot better since Day 1 with the communication and understanding the defense.”

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Today the Orange and Brown Report had an interesting interview with Nate Zagura.

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-brow...90/#166137390_1

Nate has held his position now for nine years. He came from San Francisco and grew up watching Montana.

I thought the interview was interesting because he gets a lot of inside access to Browns. He has formed relationships. He gets to learn about the players outside of football.

His comments about Jeremiah were informative.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
j/c...mostly

I didn't catch until there that Walker is only 25...we signed him to a one year $3mil deal. Why would the Colts not want to keep him and at that $$$? I dunno...the Brown's fan skeptic in me is unsure...but willing to go along.

Given that we are going to play a lot with 1 or 2 LBs, we have a good amount of depth there ...which is actually difficult to type.

Walker ---> Phillips
M Smith----> JOK -----> Fields
Takitaki when we are in a 3 LB set

I think that leaves Lee and Mack Wilson fighting for a 7th spot that probably doesn't exist.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
I suspect that the defensive numbers will end up as such:

DL - 9

LB - 6

DB - 10

Our DC likes to have waves of DL to throw at teams, and he likes playing sub defense frequently. We could even play some 3-3-5, and bring 1 or 2 blitzers. (or drop 6 into coverage at times, as well) Maybe we might even play a 5-1-5 on occasion. I think we will play a ton of formations to try and confuse the opposing QB.

We want a versatile defense, able to run almost any imaginable formation, and I think we will have the personnel to do so.

Looks close. I think a little heavy on backer, but it might depend on where you classify a player or two. I could see your backer number trimmed buy at least 1 if not 2.

I also think we could end up keeping a few more players on O. We probably don't need to keep 10 Olinemen, but we might considering there is at least a chance both of Bitonio and Treeter are gone next year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
LB are generally good special teamers. I think we'll keep 6.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: YTownBrownsFan
LB are generally good special teamers. I think we'll keep 6.

Generally, yes. So are safeties and DB's.

Again, we might keep six backers. Just seems high to me since we will probably be playing just 2 most of the time. Six is keeping backups for every backup.

QB is usually the only position you do that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I suspect that, like a lot of players that hit free agency this year, Walker may have been looking for more money than most teams were willing or able to give in a reduced salary cap season, so he opted for the one-year deal to get another shot at a bigger contract next season. Doing that here is a good opportunity to showcase himself apart from the guys he has played alongside for the last several years and doesn't rule out him going back to Indy in 2022.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
this line of reasoning seems plausible.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agreed

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
If Walker plays well, keep him here. JOK is on a rookie deal. We can easily replace Wilson and Taki with a few new rookies or journeymen free agents to round out the room.

A guy we don't mention is Tony Fields. We took him in the 5th round. I don't think we selected him because we think he stinks.

He is fast and speed at backer is the new name of the game at that position, something neither of Wilson or Taki have.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I suspect that, like a lot of players that hit free agency this year, Walker may have been looking for more money than most teams were willing or able to give in a reduced salary cap season, so he opted for the one-year deal to get another shot at a bigger contract next season. Doing that here is a good opportunity to showcase himself apart from the guys he has played alongside for the last several years and doesn't rule out him going back to Indy in 2022.

There isn't a better situation in the NFL for him to do just that. He will get a ton of exposure as the field marshall of an expected super bowl contender.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Anthony Walker

Link Copied to Clipboard