Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#1867606 06/15/21 10:12 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Not much to talk about so I am going back to the well.

Of all the players on the roster Baker has been dissected the most.

I am not going to pull up stats. If you want that it is always available. Very easy to to look at his numbers.

Baker is starting his fourth season. He has a great supporting cast. We have the highest rated OL and running back duo. That should help any quarterback.

We have experience, depth, and talent at wide receiver and at tight end.

The Browns have spent this past season upgrading the defense. They have yet to play a game. However, they are also highly ranked even though they have not played.

I think we should expect that with the defensive upgrades that the offense will get more oppoutunities to score. More three and outs and more turnovers.

So, what remains for Baker to do?

In my eyes he has proven that he is a franchise quarterback. Last year we won a playoff game on the road.

Quarterback greatness is defined by playing great when it counts most. Baker took the Browns to playoffs. We had a winning season. The team is now considered to be a Super Bowl contender. Repeat that three times and then pinch yourself.

Baker is now an experienced player who should be in his prime.

It is now time to be big on the biggest stage.

Those moments that make you great. The Elway drive. I know that is a sacrilegious analogy. However, I wanted to drive in the point.

This year should be the year Baker puts all doubts to rest.

Stats are nice but winning is the ultimate measure. Win the biggest games with a great performance when counts the most.

"Pressure is a blessing" Billie Jean King once said.

No pressure Baker. You have wanted this moment all your life.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I was thinking about this on my run yesterday. They’ve done a superb job of building up the rest of the team now, making it so that the QB doesn’t have to hero-ball to win games. We’ll probably win some sloppy games this year that we would have gotten trounced in years past.

That said, this team’s ultimate success has probably never depended more on Baker consistently showing up as the guy in the 2nd half of last season. Everything else is pretty much there.

The two things that run the greatest risk of derailing the team are a rash of key injuries and Baker falling apart for any real stretch of games. We know we’ll have some injuries, every team does, but we pray it doesn’t go over the depth threshold/ tipping point. And we know Baker will have some so-so or iffy games but we have to hope it’s not 2-3-4 games in a row. That is one of the key markers of elite QBs. They all have crap games on occasion, do they bounce back, is their default level significantly above mediocre such that they don’t have to “over-achieve” to have an excellent games? I’m a Baker supporter all the way but I’m not sure that question has been answered yet. We need an almost full season well above the midline.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Legend
Legend
I agree with all of that. Hopefully if we build a 3 TD lead in the 3rd quarter of games this year, with our revamped defense, I won't be thinking, "We still need to score at least 2 more times".. because that's what I was thinking last year against TN and against Dallas.. and probably a couple others. and in most cases, I was right as we ended up needing to recover onside kicks to secure those games that we should have won with the back-ups on the field for the final few minutes.

As for Baker specifically, assuming he just plays the way he did last year, even without much improvement at all, he's a franchise QB and the only thing left for him to accomplish is he needs to close. As you said, he needs to notch a few of those career-defining moments and he has to do it in the biggest games.

He has a playoff win under his belt. Albeit, it was against a very depleted and vulnerable Steelers team. Then we lost to a KC team with Chad freaking Henne playing most of the second half.

Games like that, it's about finishing. If you finish and win, you get credit for overcoming a 19-3 halftime deficit. If you don't win, you get blamed for only scoring 3 points in the first 2 1/2 quarters.

yebat' Putin
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think the way that Baker ended the year pretty much ended any of the "hot seat" conversations that were going on, so (for me) he really just needs to more or less pick up where he left off from last year, and just overall avoid yo-yo'ing between years over the course of the year.

I don't see the need to expect such drastic improvement as we've seen, but we do need to avoid drastic step backwards in play at the QB position.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
Expectations for Jarvis, put an end to the unsportsmanlike penalties.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Is Jarvis in the title of the thread?

Legend
Legend
Baker is in a great position because of the talent surrounding him and the scheme and adaptability of Stefanski's offense. Baker's floor is solid, and pretty high.

Do we need Baker to push the ceiling to new heights in order to compete for a championship? No, not at all, especially if what we saw in the second half of 2020 is indicative of his growth.

Mayfield became a good QB in 2020, some may say "very good", again, especially looking at the second half. He made great strides in working through progressions, being patient, not getting "happy feet" as soon as his primary read(s) were covered. I saw a QB capable of throwing to receivers one through four on the majority of his late-season dropbacks.

We don't need a QB that puts a team on his shoulders week after week, but we need one capable of that when the situation dictates. I'm not worried about Baker in that manner, he's proven that he is capable and willing.

Baker needs to become more consistent. He's 30th in the league in completion percentage, yet we've seen games where he completes 12, 15, even 20 throws in a row. I really hope that the chemistry with OBJ comes naturally and isn't forced (again). Psychologically, Baker needs to treat OBJ as "JAG" and just let the chemistry develop within the confines of solid offensive execution.

A few more game-winning drives and 4th Q comebacks will cement his confidence. He's got all the tools and everything needed "upstairs". Should be an exciting season -- and one that has Baker perfectly positioned to round out his perception at somewhere between "solid franchise QB" and "legend"... without feeling the weight of the world on his shoulders in order to do so. Seems like that would be any QBs dream scenario.

As a fan, I'll take great pride in riding shotgun with the dude who was told he couldn't do it his entire life. That story couldn't be any more "Cleveland".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
I think having expectations isn't something I fall into the trap of. To me that means you have your sights set on something happening. Expecting something to happen. I have hopes of things happening yet at the same time I don't expect it.

By looking at the second half of last season there's no reason not to hope things pick up where they left off. The offense was clicking on all cylinders. I think we have a HC and system in place that the players believe in and buy into. The talent is certainly there. I believe we have a FO that works with the HC in manner that they bring the talent into the system that best serves to fit what the coaching staff needs to execute their systems.

So for me the question isn't whether Baker will perform well. I think he's already shown he works well in the system that has been established. The continuity that has been established going into its second season should only bolster his performance.

The only question is what is Bakers ceiling? I have no clue how high that could go but by all accounts we're going to find out.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

KS made a clear point to Baker before last season. You have to protect the ball. Turnovers will not be tolerated.

Baker made the change and he cut way down on int's.

That was critical for his success going forward.

Completion % can be misleading to a degree. Yes, you would like 65%+. I don't get to hung up there because sometimes a good play is made when you throw it in the stands.

What is important is clutch play. Making big time NFL throws when games are on the line.

IMO Baker will get there. There is a fine line between getting that ball in there in tight coverage; and taking the check down or throwing it away.

To be great sometimes you have to make those throws.

Baker has the skills to make any throw. It is that split second decision that can make huge differences. You can have great numbers checking it down. But it takes a special talent to make those truly great throws.
I believe Baker is an emerging talent.

I am hoping this year he leads this team to greatness.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Seems that we already talked about this in another thread.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm hoping he sticks with the trajectory that was in place at the second half of last season, based upon building confidence, become more comfortable in the system, and realizing that he can trust his reads on not focus on the first read or a single player.

Looking back, this is what I drew from his time in Cleveland:

2018. Got off to a good start. Defenses didn't really know what to expect. Then he took a bit of a downturn playing against more stiff competition. Add to that the fact that he suffered from Haley Jackson squabbling, which bled into the game planning and playcalls. Dorsey cleans house. Kitchens comes in and simplifies the offense big time. Baker does better.

2019. Kitchens takes over as HC, but keeps playcalling. Can't find consistency between game planning and playcalling. That hurts Baker. Baker also begins to lock on to OBJ, which might be tied to the fact the playcalling didn't follow the game planning. More dysfunction. Baker regresses.

2020. Stefanski comes in and doesn't have a feel for Baker yet. COVID offseason doesn't help either. Baker still plays in 2019 mode, with some strides because Stefanski puts him in a more comfortable offense. Still has some confidence issues and locks in too early. The team keeps winning, however, and Baker builds confidence as Stefanski keeps figuring out how to build a sustainable offense that suits Baker. This happens continuously (outside of the Jets aberration). This is the trajectory I hope stays in place.

Baker suffered a lot from turnover and snowballing regression which led to confidence issues. I'm hoping that the current stability, supporting talent, and consistency in offense keeps him on the improvement path.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I can't remember. Probably.

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I don't bet so I don't follow betting lines.

But that is kinda shocking. One would think Mahomes would be the favorite every year.

I actually believe Myles has a good chance. One because he will put the numbers and two because it has been a long time since a defensive player has won.

I could see Baker though. There are others as well.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
We keep talking about winning the Playoff Game on the road. My question is, did we win that game, or did the Steelers lose it ?? They seemed to come back well after unforced errors put them in the hole. Yes, I know the Defense looks good on paper, but will they play like an improved Defense against better competition this year. I just want to see more before I start harping about beating the Steelers and being Superbowl Bound.

The Cleveland Browns - WE KNOW QUARTERBACKS ( Look at how many we've had ... )
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
They had some unforced errors in that game, but I think a lot of the comeback had to do with our soft defense, not to mention the fact we were starting guys who might not even be in the NFL next year at DB.

I don't think there were many unforced errors on their part as far as our offense goes. Hunt simply dominated them on those two TD's and Landry did the same. Our OL was also abusing their pass rush and run support defense.

Whoever that backup OLB was for the Steelers had his lunch eaten by Teller on several pulls.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
How do Stefanski's expectations play into this, I mean if the offense struggles, or totally putters out,
A coach will have had a year to work with the same resources, the same major players.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
There was the first snap of the game, for sure. Otherwise, I think our D capitalized on their guys looking clunky after a week off. Steelers were the ones that decided that sitting Ben, Pouncey, etc was the right move.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
well, make no mistake.. when we face them for the first game in 2021, they will be wanting to make a statement, AND their defense won't likely be so decimated as it was in that game. It WILL be a different animal; that beatdown isn't likely to be happening, again.

I still think we win, but just noting that there were several anomalies at play in that game beyond just their offensive errors early on.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
For too long, when we would self destruct against the Steelers, no one derided their defense because they destroyed our offense.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
From what I gather about Stefanski.

He is very pragmatic.

He knows what he wants to see and how to prepare. He then judges the results and works to improve.

I don't think he changes. Win or lose he knows you can always play better.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The big picture has been covered pretty well by other posters. Mayfield is an ascending talent, the Browns have plenty of offensive firepower. The team will benefit from continuity for the first time in a long time. Mayfield has the mindset and the talent to be great and will have the opportunity to progress toward that goal individually and within the team.

So...I have a couple of things I want to see Baker continue to improve. 1) Use more touch on the slants and other underneath passes. I think he can improve in this area. 2) Continue to be settled in the pocket under pressure.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
well, make no mistake.. when we face them for the first game in 2021, they will be wanting to make a statement, AND their defense won't likely be so decimated as it was in that game. It WILL be a different animal; that beatdown isn't likely to be happening, again.

I still think we win, but just noting that there were several anomalies at play in that game beyond just their offensive errors early on.

And those are the games you have to win in order to become a good-to-great team in the league. When the other team wants vengeance badly, but you beat them anyhow. It can really deflate the former team, too, as we all know from ample experience.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
The fruits of continuity is what I am most looking forward to seeing this year.

May we have a bountiful crop!

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Wait, do we have to sacrifice an animal now or something?

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Yes, but not until just before the brisket has to go in the smoker to be ready for the first kick-off.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Baker Mayfields best exhibited in game pump fake and the same for ball tucking/hiding skill on a play fake,

but moreso, the pump fake, were in 2018.

Baker Mayfield showed his best abilities to move a defense with the pump fake in 2018.

So I wonder where it went?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I’m hoping to see the Qb that we saw the 2nd half of last year. That should be his floor at this point IMO. Limiting TO’s, keeping us in good situations, being accurate, and very importantly: continuing to improve under pressure.

I also think it’s important to see him improve WITH OBJ. That’s huge

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
E
Legend
Legend
E
j/c...

Its rather elementary my dear Watson.

Baker has finally a 2nd season in the same Offense, coaching staff and players.

Just look at Baker after half the season last year in the same offense with players.

TD: 11 INT: 1 %: 64 Yds: 2,049 W: 6 L: 2

And its only going to get better as they all understand the offense better and will make space for execution of plays!

And its not about just % in accuracy its where he puts the ball. More than any other QB he gets that ball right into the hands at the perfect spots so that the RB/WR/TE can continue without hesitation at all.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
The fruits of continuity is what I am most looking forward to seeing this year.

May we have a bountiful crop!

No way to put it any better than that... Exactly

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The Defense will be a work in progress until mid season. Too many new players.

Hopefully the offense will carry the load.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

If Myles Garrett is to be believed, don't be surprised to see it come together a LOT faster than that.

Browns is the Browns

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Originally Posted By: ChargerDawg

With the intelligence the players they signed seem to possess, I don't see why they can't come out firing from the start. Getting players in the right position and getting the calls right is the hurdle, after that, it's the talent that makes it work. They brought in two players on the defense that excel in that area, Johnson and Walker. I tend to agree with Myles that it won't take long.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

"That's my quarterback"

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

That's my quarterback man.

I am behind Baker all the way.

IMO he will be ready to bake the cake.

M
mac Offline
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Expectations for Baker

Continue digesting the offensive playbook and I hope Bake can stay healthy.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Mike Tannenbaum a former horrible GM who will never get that job again. Is now a clueless "analyist."

When asked about contract extensions for Lamar and Baker. Said "sign Lamar. Don't sign Baker. Watch and see and maybe sign him in two years."

He also said Baker's skills are "replaceable."

Lamar is a better runner. He is not a better quarterback.

Baker went to the Browns in 2018. The Browns record in 2017 was 0-16. Baker's Head coach in 2018 was Hue and the OC was Haley.

Then the head coach became Greg Williams OC was Freddy.
The record for 2018 7-8-1. Baker sets the NFL rookie record for TD's.

2019 Head coach Freddy and the OC Todd Monkin.
Record was 6-10.

What a way to start a career with a team. Going to a team that was winless. Then having 3 head coaches and three OC's. That alone could be a career killer.

So 2020 fourth head coach and OC. They win 12 games with a playoff win on the road against the Steelers.

And over the last nine games Baker played as well as any quarterback.

And this knucklehead thinks Baker is replaceable.

Just goes to show that incompetence can be anywhere.

This jerk can say anything now and not be accountable for a word. I hope his tape is kept and played back at the end of this year.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Tannenbaum is an absolutely idiot. God awful GM - one of the worst of all time. The last person I would listen to for personnel advice.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Another failed slappy from the Belicheck tree.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
The biggest criticism I think comes from Shannon.

They had the ball to go and knot it all up in KC. And they did nothing. Just a sloppy 3 and out.

That's where the money is made. THat is the next step Baker needs to make.

I know he has the ability. He helped will the team back to a tie in the second Ravens game.

It's about putting it all together now. He has the skill. He has the intelligence and poise to be great. He just needs to tune up the timing belt so all cylinders fire in time.

That's what takes someone who is good to elite.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Expectations for Baker

Link Copied to Clipboard