Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
O
Legend
Legend
O
This may or may not be applicable, but a big thing in playing chess is anticipation. Good/great players are making moves and reacting to their opponent, but are always thinking 3-4-5 or more moves ahead. You have your strategy, the moves of your opponent, and then figuring out what that means on the future of the match.

A competitive chess player is someone that is taking the information they're being given in-game, applying it to their preparation (established chess openings/strategies) and assessing what that means for further on in the game and how they should be responding.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
M
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
And I believe Andrew Healy, Vice President, Strategy, who has been with the Browns since 2016 had Baker rated above and beyond other QBs in his model projection.

Tackles are tackles.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
And I believe Andrew Healy, Vice President, Strategy, who has been with the Browns since 2016 had Baker rated above and beyond other QBs in his model projection.

You are correct.

https://www.crainscleveland.com/article/...ld-generational

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: FATE
I was also reading yesterday about another hire to the data department from January... Ella Papanek "A Harvard Chess Whiz"

https://www.sportico.com/personalities/p...rch-1234619829/

We plucked this one off the tree at 21 years old. Seems like our main strategy for hiring to the analytics dept is "early and often".

Upside: Besides the vast amount of data accrued in so many categories, the more talent we "hoard" the less there is to go around. Thinking of the hundreds of millions it takes to run an NFL team, it makes sense to spend a very small percentage on keeping elite talent in house, a drop in the bucket in the big scheme of things no matter how large the department becomes.

Downside: Too Much Information! The most important job becomes navigating and directing information and it's actual function on gameday. I remember reading John Naisbitt's "Megatrends" back in the day (prophetic!). He talked about information overload. For example, there came a time in the 70s where the scientific community realized that although an experiment had probably already been done to solve almost any problem, it was easier to conduct your own than dig through mountains of information to get the results. Very much like today's search engines and the fact that many times you feel like you have to try to "trick them" into giving you the info you're searching for, no matter how simple and mundane.

It's almost as if the person who decides "who, what, where, when, how" the data applies is much more important than the genius who presents it.

Probably part of hiring younger guys is for guys like Depo to keep up with the latest and greatest trends in the field.

Plus, Depo is here as long as he wants in all probability, so people are going to want to move around.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Browns continue to broaden the football analytics department

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/..._source=twitter

The Cleveland Browns continue to fortify their embrace of football analytics. The front office led by GM Andrew Berry and chief strategist Paul DePodesta has added more innovative analytical minds to the fold.

The team officially added Udit Ranasaria as a football research analyst, part of several new hires to the front office earlier this month. Ransaria is noted for his physics-based models on the passing game and player projections.

Per his Twitter account, Rishav Dutta is also joining the Browns this fall. Dutta will be a research assistant for the team. He is part of the NFL ScrapR analytical movement and a Carnegie Mellon computer scientist as well. A sampling of his unique football research work is available on his website.

It’s a broadening of viewpoints and creative analytical applications of football.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Analyze,
If the Browns are successful-ish again, which Browns' assistant coach is most likely to be lured away by another team?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Another thought I had on this to add to some previous comments.

Depo is somewhat of a Godfather in the area of sports analytics. His job is to stay a step ahead. I read somewhere we have the largest analytics dept. in the NFL. I think it is now up to 8 people.

I think part of Depos method is to now have various analysists working on various methods but not so much know how Depo and maybe his top assistant put everything together. The military does this all the time to keep things top secret. Everybody has some sort of idea, but few know exactly how it is put together.

That way, if and when some of these people leave for other teams they can't walk right in and tell other teams exactly what it is that we are doing with the data.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Looks to me like each of them bring a new specialized way of analyzing the data, different ways to measure and accumulate usable data, or they are just brilliant at what they do. This has to be one of the smartest rooms in all of business, let alone sports.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Looks to me like each of them bring a new specialized way of analyzing the data, different ways to measure and accumulate usable data, or they are just brilliant at what they do. This has to be one of the smartest rooms in all of business, let alone sports.

No doubt. Not only are those people thinking a step ahead of most of us, they are many steps ahead.

All anybody has to do is look up some videos or articles on Depo, or any of these people when they start getting in to the nuts and bolts of they are are reviewing and how they go about that review.

Rather humbling. Like I said, I am glad they work for our team.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
J/c

Surprised by that chart … Baker’s arm is a top level talent.

It would seem to me that IF he can improve his 1st-2nd-3rd read/progression that he can be a very good QB

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Hmmmm. Seems Baker's arm strength is in the elite category. Who were the detractors that started off saying he had a noodle arm and eventually moved on to claim it was merely average. . . . that has zero correlation to his ability to play the position, read defenses, lead receivers or his accuracy ... but his arm strength was certainly mentioned by many who didn't like his selection.

Wasn't me.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

Surprised by that chart … Baker’s arm is a top level talent.

It would seem to me that IF he can improve his 1st-2nd-3rd read/progression that he can be a very good QB

I saw that the first play when he threw a bullet to Landry and Landry was like, what the hell was that... damn I need to be ready for some heat coming in.

Baker's arm is fine, Baker has all the tools to be a successful QB and appears to have the desire as well. It takes time to develop a NFL QB, but at this point in time he is ours and a number of teams wish he was theirs.

The way I look at those charts, they are a minimum criteria. Dalton rates low on the max velocity, but the gameday story appears different, in comparison, Mahommes has a very strong arm, but is smack in the middle of the velocity in the game. All that tells me, is that he is not Derek Anderson, he adjusts his throws for the situation.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

You are correct.

So in other words all those people shouldn't be thanking Dorsey for drafting Mayfield but rather thanking him for not screwing it up?

L
Legend
Legend
L
Bakers arm strength isn’t a problem. He throws a live ball and when he sets his feet right he is deadly accurate. I honestly believe he will take us to a Super Bowl title real soon. Maybe more than one.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Originally Posted By: Milk Man

You are correct.

So in other words all those people shouldn't be thanking Dorsey for drafting Mayfield but rather thanking him for not screwing it up?

I say it could be both.

In my mind he was the #1 QB, no brainer selection. It wouldn't have been hard for me to take him #1, so thank-you Dorsey for selecting Baker and not blowing it.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
People have been thanked a lot more for a lot less.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not counting thank-you's, so I couldn't say.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
It doesn't require one to count. It only requires one to pay attention.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
It sounds like a count, but to your original comment about people being thanked a lot more for a lot less, if we take it as a perceived thanks, I don't have any control over who gives thanks.

If whoever you feel doesn't get enough thanks, thank them. I don't think people need a equal amount of thanks as someone else to feel appreciated.

I thanked John Dorsey. Why are you complaining to me?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm not complaining. I'm making an observation. Sometimes the written word isn't intended the way you perceive it.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Another thought I had on this to add to some previous comments.

Depo is somewhat of a Godfather in the area of sports analytics. His job is to stay a step ahead. I read somewhere we have the largest analytics dept. in the NFL. I think it is now up to 8 people.

I think part of Depos method is to now have various analysists working on various methods but not so much know how Depo and maybe his top assistant put everything together. The military does this all the time to keep things top secret. Everybody has some sort of idea, but few know exactly how it is put together.

That way, if and when some of these people leave for other teams they can't walk right in and tell other teams exactly what it is that we are doing with the data.

According to Bob Lazar that was how Area 51 was run.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
No truth whatsoever, then, to the rumor that they are in Berea, reverse engineering the UFO defense for the DC to use this year. Our MAJESTIK - 8. The Browns meet the greys beside Lake Erie LOLetc. brownie rofl

This season is gonna be epic.

Last edited by Bard Dawg; 07/01/21 06:03 AM. Reason: stopped key broad!!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
I don't know about that, but do know that is a method to keep things on the hush hush.

Have various people working on small, specific tasks, not knowing exactly what it is they are working on or how it is going to be used.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
The Browns and analytics.

Analytics, is getting the most out of unexpected decisions.

It is expected the Browns will have to make changes.

Do we expect a team is more likely to keep a signed player or a player unsigned for the future.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Fixed it for you.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
E
Legend
Legend
E
All I know is this is the first year that DePodesta is in control as in the mastermind. Everything is hitting.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
I don't know about that, but do know that is a method to keep things on the hush hush.

Have various people working on small, specific tasks, not knowing exactly what it is they are working on or how it is going to be used.

The Roman generals had their "musterion", or master battle plan, of which individual commanders had only their part revealed. After a successful battle he would gather them together to reveal how the whole battle plan had been laid out...the "mystery."

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

If the decisions are expected there is nothing to analyze. Like a nascar track if the road curves left the cars are going to turn left.
If it's expected, and a given, then it's not a decision at all.
Explained it for you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
All I know is this is the first year that DePodesta is in control as in the mastermind. Everything is hitting.

What I've noticed is that there has been a plan that makes sense, and most of the players accumulated address particular needs. They assembled the best OL in the league, grabbed a promising QB, and surrounded him with all the tools. Next step, turn weaknesses on D into strengths.

Every step in this process has been focused, logical and methodical. It's the main reason I've taken off my s#-colored glasses, and replaced them with a pair of Cool-Rays. Yes- the process excites me more than even the sparkling players on the team, because they are only here due to The Plan. I am becoming increasingly confident that this trend will continue, as long as these guys continue to install the system and culture successfully. Players will come and go, but I'm becoming convinced that we're witnessing the foundation of a potential dynasty.

Last point: Browns fans have had a blissful 2.5 years of drama-free administration from 76 Groza. This is the first time- the very first time this team has been led by a unified, professional FO and coaching staff. I used to complain that Browns fans were treated to more drama in the offices than they ever saw on the field.

3-13. 4-12. 1-15. 0-16.

It's been a long, long wait for respectability to return to this storied franchise.

I'm really glad I stuck it out.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
B
Legend
Legend
B
Well said. I agree.

Sometimes things happen by accident. Most of the time it is a well thought out and and implemented plan behind the success.

And yes, as you said, players come and go. Sometimes popular players. As long as we follow the plan and the plan guideposts, we stand a good chance of remaining relevant for a long time.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Originally Posted By: eotab

What I've noticed is that there has been a plan that makes sense, and most of the players accumulated address particular needs. They assembled the best OL in the league, grabbed a promising QB, and surrounded him with all the tools. Next step, turn weaknesses on D into strengths.

Every step in this process has been focused, logical and methodical. It's the main reason I've taken off my s#-colored glasses, and replaced them with a pair of Cool-Rays. Yes- the process excites me more than even the sparkling players on the team, because they are only here due to The Plan. I am becoming increasingly confident that this trend will continue, as long as these guys continue to install the system and culture successfully. Players will come and go, but I'm becoming convinced that we're witnessing the foundation of a potential dynasty.

Last point: Browns fans have had a blissful 2.5 years of drama-free administration from 76 Groza. This is the first time- the very first time this team has been led by a unified, professional FO and coaching staff. I used to complain that Browns fans were treated to more drama in the offices than they ever saw on the field.

3-13. 4-12. 1-15. 0-16.

It's been a long, long wait for respectability to return to this storied franchise.

I'm really glad I stuck it out.

I want to add to that that there is a clear plan/intention regarding the personalities/traits that are evident in the players that the FO is bringing in.

Tough, smart & accountable...it's not just a slogan with the FO.

Last edited by WSU Willie; 07/04/21 09:25 AM.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Slogans are only meaningful if you put them in to practice. We seem to do that.

You are also right about the players we draft. That also carries over to FA players. We seem to be fairly keyed in on player market worth. We seem to set a number that is fair, then stick to it. That might not always be popular, but that is an example we can see of having a plan and working the plan.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain

If the decisions are expected there is nothing to analyze. Like a nascar track if the road curves left the cars are going to turn left.
If it's expected, and a given, then it's not a decision at all.
Explained it for you.

The Browns need to make a decision on, for example, Nick Chubb's future with the team. It's an expected decision, but it still needs to be analyzed; do they extend him for 1 yr or 3, do they franchise him for 2 years and let him walk? Analytics will help with that expected decision, right?

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
Legend
Legend
I'd expect that the decision and all possible backup plans have long since been made. If they're waiting, they're waiting for a reason.

It could be as simple as waiting until later in the season when we have an idea of next year's cap so that we can better plan the impact of his and Baker's new deals together. Indecision isn't something these guys have an issue with.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
I'd expect that the decision and all possible backup plans have long since been made. If they're waiting, they're waiting for a reason.

It could be as simple as waiting until later in the season when we have an idea of next year's cap so that we can better plan the impact of his and Baker's new deals together. Indecision isn't something these guys have an issue with.

I've been saying a version of that for weeks.. we have CAP space next year that will kinda be back on track..(pre Covid) Or so it appears.. I have to believe that Baker and Chubbs agents know this. I don't think for one second that Berry will let either get away.. and eventually, I think thatd extends to Ward as well as later to Hunt. (that's if they don't do something with Chubb now.)

Eventually we need to take care of Wyatt and if my guess is correct, we may want to keep Clowney..... (just a guess based on what I think he'll contribute this season)

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
I agree.

Baker isn't in any hurry to sign until the cap number become clear and some clarity develops with Allen and Jackson. I doubt we will be the first to sign. IMO at least one of those guys will have to ink a contract before Baker and agent think about doing so...Baker knows we aren't going to let him walk, so why be in a hurry?

As for Chubb and some others, I am not so sure we are in a big hurry to get those deals done.

Yes, Chubb is a fan favorite and clearly a very good running back. However my feeling is we view running back as a transitional position where running back and long term just don't fit under normal circumstances. Chubb may be beyond normal, and we can adjust for that, but I don't see a situation where the Browns have the, or one of the highest paid backs in the league. I could see us moving on from Chubb if he and his agent aren't somewhat grounded in their contract demands.

With the current state of our O-line, I think we could find a back who could put up similar numbers. No, maybe not as good, but good enough to gain the yards needed to maintain a plus NFL running game.

Note...I think we will sign him and want to sign him. I am just saying the numbers have to work, and our numbers might not be as great as some other teams.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think Clowney was a band-aid, and they'll want to move on as quickly as possible. Just a gut feeling of mine.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I agree, but I think it is also a tryout year that could lead to something longer term, but also I think it is - hopefully - a way of setting the bar for how to gauge/judge what to expect opposite Myles no matter who we put there.

For the tryout part, his abilities against the Run aren't questioned. We WILL get to see what our pass defense can do when teams just cannot run on us. With him and Billings, teams are going to have a tough row to hoe against us. However, it's the pass rush aspect we're likely wanting to see. Can the rest of his game live up to his hype, and contract demands, for something longer term. He's absolutely setting his contract value here this year, but probably not for every team. He's going to show what he can be when a team can give him linemates that can carry some of the load so that he isn't the Lone Ranger out there.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Everyone knows it was a trinity that created the new Browns dynasty. The holy trinity of Cleveland. I won't even mention their names for fear of repeating the obvious.

Click to reveal..

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns and Analytics

Link Copied to Clipboard