Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His combine was off the charts for a 6th round pick. Dripping with athleticism.

Then early in the season I saw him play and was like, this dudes combine doesn't translate, it happens for some guys. He came on a little bit, would love to see a jump because he is clearly an athlete, but we've seen it hundreds of times, most of the best athletes in the world can't play football.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Honestly I thought he played very well for a rookie.

If he doesn't make that catch in the Bengal game; we don't make the playoffs.

On top of that he blocks very well.

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-young-browns-players-who-might-be-stars-in-2022-and-beyond/

M
Legend
Legend
M
I'm looking forward to watching DPJ in 2021. I don't expect him to be high on the snap count early on, but who knows, if he is part of some big plays, his time on the field may increase.

I wonder what is role will be like after OBJ and/or Landry are gone?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQ-H2zLIYsM

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Not this year but after this year.

DPJ and Schwartz could be the Odell and Jarvis of the future.

Schwartz maybe more like DeSean Jackson.

DPJ may not have the quick separation skill like Odell. But he has big play ability.

You add some other complimentary receiver like a Higgins or someone of that quality. Good to go as long as you can still run the rock.

I am so at ease right now with our staff. I am not sweating a thing.

I know we are in good hands.

T
Legend
Legend
T
If the Browns could overcome their history and get a good eye to recognize the players that will end up really really good wide receivers then the team might really be on to something.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: BpG

Then early in the season I saw him play and was like, this dudes combine doesn't translate, it happens for some guys. He came on a little bit, would love to see a jump because he is clearly an athlete, but we've seen it hundreds of times, most of the best athletes in the world can't play football.

Interested in what you mean by "doesn't translate". You make it sound so permanent. I thought there were at least a few "there's a real football player" moments with DPJ last season despite him looking a little rough around the edges.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I care about now.

IMO the Browns have a strong unit of receivers with good competition within.

This year the unit will fit into a balanced offensive attack.

The offense will score and will be one of the better groups in the NFL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
When I look at the Browns on paper I truly wonder how anyone will deal with this lineup one of the things we as Browns fans don't really look at is how do you shut the Browns down?

They said that teams last season dared Bake to beat them they loaded up to stop Chubb and Hunt, but when faced with that scenario towards the end of last season especially Bake took defenses apart. I think that teams that focus on stopping Chubb and Hunt are about to get beat like never before. It was also said that KC focused on Chubb and Hunt, let them try that this year. Oh and it was when we were facing KC that I realized how critical that we have the very element that OBJ brings to the table. The thing Bake needs to focus on is letting the game come to him when it comes to the use of OBJ and the pieces will simply fall in place.

The defense is another animal or ingredient that has been added to the mix this year. Teams are bound to try to plow our defense under. I believe they are going to be faced with a situation where they have to try to throw the ball against our defense and we are loaded up in this area to take that away. In reading what is being said the Browns as a defense don't think you can run the ball enough to keep up and that when you go to the pass they have some answers.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

No doubt that the second half of last season the Browns offense found it's groove.

That offense now will begin it's second year. That alone makes it better. Add Odell who is a huge add. Add Schwartz who although he will be limited in touches. Those touches add a new dimension. Schwartz will be the trickster. There will be designed plays for his speed. When on the field he will make a defense honor that speed and open more space. This will open more options. We also have added better OL depth.

We were good enough on offense last year and we will be better.

What moves this team into true Super Bowl contention is the improvements on defense.

We lost games last year with a poor secondary. Even games we won like Dallas, Jags, Bengals we let them back in the game. That will not happen this year.

We will start 8/9 new guys on defense. The pass rush will be way better. Linebacker play - way better.

The changes on defense will create more offensive opportunities. We will get more turnovers, more sacks, and more three and out's.

We both know as well others that this team can be special.

Because when you look at all that has been discussed.

We are led by an outstanding young coach to boot.

E
Legend
Legend
E
Actually for the amount of reps he got I thought he exceeded all expectations. Especially for a rookie 6th round pick. he showed excellent skills many of those catches were in very small windows. He made the catches and succeeded on important first downs and TDs.

jmho - don't know what anyone expected from a rookie.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Quote:
jmho - don't know what anyone expected from a rookie.

Some folks think 100 catches for 1,400 yards and 15 TD's is about right rolleyes

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Well anything less makes it a wasted draft pick.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Yeah, players should start out great and stay there. If you have to grow in to a job, you are a flunkie.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I agree. When we picked him, he was just a 6th rounder with potential upside due to physical ability. He began to show last year that he may, indeed, be able to hit the ceiling people projected for him; but, there's a reason he was a 6th rounder, and those deficiencies take time to develop past. In year two, we get to see if last year was a flash in the pan or if he picks up where he left off and continues to grow & progress toward that ceiling, or beyond.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/C

Don't know if this has been mentioned. Stefanski said something to the effect that DPJ just does his job and was surprisingly mature in terms of assignment execution.

Before he got any touches his blocking stood out to the coaches.

So imagine how he'll help when he's not even a receiving target. How will Stefanski deploy him so that other guys get clean releases or he can chip in the run game? That's along with his receiving ability.

T
Legend
Legend
T
The Question should be, how do Demetric Felton and DPJ compare and contrast as Wide Receivers.
I think fans could really be excited about Felton, he could make some plays.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Well anything less makes it a wasted draft pick.

6th round pick - special teamer then actual game rep usage. How does it even come close to a wasted pick...Oh no wait till you all get upset at the lack of usage of Schwartz 3rd round status. As GM pointed out way too much expectation.

jmho

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I believe he was being sarcastic.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I was channeling my inner THROW LONG.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

yeah 1400 yds for a 6th rounder not enough

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg

I was channeling my inner THROW LONG.

Make no mistake about it.
I don't think Schwartz belongs in the NFL, at least not in the sense that a 3rd round pick was used on him.

Maybe after 5 years of development,
rofl, ... rofl, the phrase "used on him" the screen went flash white and had to reset... I think the secret watchers are screen shotting my post again for to take make sure I'm not a kidnapper or something,
baseball Coach lives and d;;s by his choice of a relief pitcher, caused the ole white flash and screen resets in 2012 ish.

anyway, back to Schwartz, (Sorry the team won't admit it was a bad mistake to use a 3rd on a player, who won't turn into a real receiver for probably 4 to 5 years,
Hodge I don't like, but Hodge is far more along to
"not ruining offensive drives with mistakes, than probably Schwartz is.

And if Schwartz could return punts, why would the Cle. Plain Dealer guys say, "if someone else would catch the ball and hand it to him", I mean,

look, IF! The NFL draft actually takes place as it's presented to the public, ( and not previously done in a secret location where they could take weeks to make up their minds)

then the teams continuously have to make decisions in 15 minute time windows, sometimes fewer minutes,
and sometimes, those decisions are rushed and are just bad decisions.

So, Media and the actual team, using the idea or concept that since players like Jordan Elliott and or Anthony Schwartz were drafted, and before the 5th,
means they have to make a team

Well, then it just is what it is.
Whether they can play worth anything or not. thumbsdown

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Schwartz was scouted by people paid to do that job.

Before draft day the Board was devised by all members of the Browns involved in making draft decisions.

Then Berry selected him at a time he felt appropriate.

You have no clue whether he will be worth a third round pick or not.

That will be determined when he goes to camp and competes for a place on the team.

We will all be able to see how that will turn out as the season moves along.

You have an opinion and that is all you have.

Saying he will ruin drives and make mistakes is based upon no valid information.

Here is a breakdown maybe this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKguIO2_L6U

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Why do you even read his malarkey? The dude just spews crap left and right.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend
I enjoy the fact that 'malarkey' is making a comeback.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I want to see 'serendipity' come back

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian

^ Does this guy cheer when he attends games or know of anyone who does.
What is the purpose, who is the real audience.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

^ Does this guy cheer when he attends games or know of anyone who does.
What is the purpose, who is the real audience.

I swear, you don't have any clue....Not one

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
I enjoy the fact that 'malarkey' is making a comeback.

Not only that it's making a comeback... but that it's showing it's face here courtesy of an ambidextrous crap spewer!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: W84NxtYrAgain
I want to see 'serendipity' come back

It will when it's meant to happen.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Make no mistake about it.
I don't think

On this we agree 100%.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: FATE

Interested in what you mean by "doesn't translate". You make it sound so permanent. I thought there were at least a few "there's a real football player" moments with DPJ last season despite him looking a little rough around the edges.

Sure, I mean his athleticism just didn't jump off the field like his combine results suggest. When I see a guy with those type of numbers I sort of expect them to look faster, more explosive than other guys. Just didn't see that last season, especially early in the season on Punt Returns and whatnot, looked slow actually which was very surprising.

Like I said, plenty of track stars, record breaking speedsters than fizzled out in the league so he wouldn't be the first to have his athleticism not translate. Doesn't mean he can't play, but typically when you see guys with crazy combine numbers and little to no production in college you're sort of hoping that burst and speed at the combine translates.

Seems like a good young man, so hopefully he can carve out a nice little career for himself. Would love to see him get a second contract.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

https://www.brownsnation.com/3-young-browns-players-who-might-be-stars-in-2022-and-beyond/

Sure, he played great for a 6th round pick. Just thought his combine numbers were so dynamic we would have seen something more in terms of athleticism. Sort of explains how a guy so athletic could have such poor production in college. Punt returns looked horrible early in the season, not a ton of separation on routes....maybe Harbaugh is just a bad coach?

Seems like a great kid, love to see him improve.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Captain Obvious here, but it also has a lot to do with the others in the WR-room. I don't care who you are or where you've come from, if you're new to this WR room, you're looking up at a few people ahead of you in the pecking order.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

In addition his college numbers are not all the result of his performance.

They are also the result of the system he was in and how he was used.

By all those informed about that program - not really to good for the skills he had.

As a college recruit he was ranked very high.

BpG Offline
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
His own numbers were "not at all the result of his performance"? Not sure that's how that works. His numbers were pathetic regardless of system. He was a 5 star recruit that went to a pro style system and produced a whopping 438 yards his final season. No need to make excuses for the guy.

Nice kid by all accounts, hell of an athlete, made some plays. Didn't look as athletic as his eye popping combine numbers, was a rookie 6th rounder and made some nice contributions. I'd say even if he doesn't play, his results last year alone were 6th round pick worthy. Most of those guys don't make it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
And I think that's where the biggest problem in the miscommunication lies. For a sixth round pick he contributed well and earned his draft status. Where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I do not follow the program that he came from.

I am going by what I have read from others. That he was not used well.

Frankly, I do not care. He played well with limited opportunities. Also, according to Baker he looks fantastic from the what they have done so far.

I expect that he will get more chances this year. We will see how that goes.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
He had trash QB play at ichigan.
If he’d had played with even an average college QB his numbers would have been better.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Sure, he played great for a 6th round pick. Just thought his combine numbers were so dynamic we would have seen something more in terms of athleticism. Sort of explains how a guy so athletic could have such poor production in college. Punt returns looked horrible early in the season, not a ton of separation on routes....maybe Harbaugh is just a bad coach?

Seems like a great kid, love to see him improve.

He made the most of the opportunities he was handed..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will say this because I actually believe it.

In the first four rounds, you are hoping for a player that will have some immediate impact.

Beyond that it is anyone’s guess.

If the player is talented and dedicated, there should be a big jump from year 1 to 2. That is the point where you begin to know if you have a sustainable NFL player. They have had a full off season to dedicate to their job, and they are surrounded by every possible thing to help them succeed. But they have to want it too.

A few years ago the Browns drafted 3 receivers in the latter rounds. Higgins is the only one that remains. He worked hard and it became evident that he deserved a roster spot. So even though he did not get the big money, he will probably be in the league for a while. Most never make it to a second contract. It’s the NFL in the salary cap era, When you have a 100 million dollar player you need 10 making the minimum.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Donovan Peoples-Jones.

Link Copied to Clipboard