Next Thread
Print Thread
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
French President stated by August if you don't have Covid card...IE a vaccination card. If not vaccinated you can't ride trains, can't shop, if hospital worker you are suspended. I've got an EX-inlaw nurse who hasn't had vaccine- he'd be out of job.
JMHO, the SCIENCE must support these actions at a national level. Our EX-president, who stated the virus would be gone in May of 2020, and who called the scientists and doctors idiots- yet got special treatment when he infected lots of people- yeah, you're right, I support requiring the vaccine....freedom has nothing to do with it....I've got a 40 year old daughter who has afib heart condition as leftover from catching the virus from a husband who rode in same truck as an infected employee-- bottom line is it's a national health issue and everyone should be part of the solution, not part of the problem....ANY national system must be based on best science and history of this evolving virus.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: hitt
French President stated by August if you don't have Covid card...IE a vaccination card. If not vaccinated you can't ride trains, can't shop, if hospital worker you are suspended. I've got an EX-inlaw nurse who hasn't had vaccine- he'd be out of job.
JMHO, the SCIENCE must support these actions at a national level. Our EX-president, who stated the virus would be gone in May of 2020, and who called the scientists and doctors idiots- yet got special treatment when he infected lots of people- yeah, you're right, I support requiring the vaccine....freedom has nothing to do with it....I've got a 40 year old daughter who has afib heart condition as leftover from catching the virus from a husband who rode in same truck as an infected employee-- bottom line is it's a national health issue and everyone should be part of the solution, not part of the problem....ANY national system must be based on best science and history of this evolving virus.

Hope your daughter is ok..

Ignoring a problem rarely gets it corrected or handled.

Science seems to be a dirty word for some folks. I read somewhere yesterday that some leaders in Tenn are trying to downplay how their Covid numbers are climbing... Now sure what the value is in that. Why hide it?

Color me confused.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
O
Legend
Legend
O
I work for a French company, and my boss is actually located in Southern France. I'm not sure what the latest is, but I do know that they're vaccination rollout wasn't going so hot for a while. They were struggling logistically. I would hope that they have the infrastructure/logistics to back up such a requirement, as well as pre-planning for folks that are worried about the (albeit rare) side effects that have already been identified.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
Here's what's going on in Tennessee. There is a law on the books that permits minors 14 years old and older to determine whether they get the vaccine or not. It's the minor consent law. Naturally there are laws that certain politicians and people don't like. So when they can't or haven't changed the law, they will do everything they can to circumvent the law. That's what's happening here. It's been a two step process.

First they decided they will stop the adolescent vaccine outreach program and secondly they fired Tennessee top vaccine official because she sent out a memo informing people of that right. So they are stopping outreach programs for minors and fired her for stating the law as some form of punishment for anyone who speaks out, even if all they've done is tell the truth as a form of punishment.

One Republican lawmaker, Scott Cepicky, accused [Fiscus’s agency] of employing “peer pressure” to prod young people into getting immunized.

In a lengthy and searing statement describing her departure, Dr. Fiscus said that the actions of lawmakers have gravely endangered the public by undermining confidence in the vaccines even as virus cases are rising in Tennessee and as concerns about the delta variant are emerging in parts of the country. “I am not a political operative, I am a physician who was, until today, charged with protecting the people of Tennessee, including its children, against preventable diseases like COVID-19,” Dr. Fiscus wrote.… Anger from lawmakers intensified after the memo by Dr. Fiscus was circulated to medical providers explaining a so-called mature minor doctrine, which allows doctors to treat patients between the ages of 14 and 18 without parental consent under a State Supreme Court ruling from 1987. The memo repeated information that has been publicly available on the Department of Health’s website for years.

In recent weeks, lawmakers have pointed to the memo and to advertisements from the agency on social media, contending that the department was going too far in its efforts to reach teenagers. During hearings, lawmakers even raised the prospect of dissolving the department.… A spokesman for the Tennessee Department of Health declined on Tuesday to comment on the dismissal of Dr. Fiscus.

I guess informing people of their rights only applies when those rights are something you promote and agree with. Otherwise you get punished for it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Those silly tennessee GOPers got a real problem with kids getting the vaccine legally. They are firing health leaders and making up are sorts of silly rules to NOT HELP PEOPLE. smh

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
H
hitt Offline OP
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
H
Everybody has their own agenda- everyone. I haven't seen the numbers on reactions to vaccine, nor any numbers on deaths attributed to vaccine....anybody know how/where to get those. The advocates for no vaccine....ie stay the way God or nature made you....I'd bet a buck its better to be vaccinated.
I'm more trusting of doctors, 50s kids faced polio and smallpox, both were beat thru vaccines. Peace to all.

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
M
Legend
Legend
M
I've only heard it on NPR - from 'experts' so I don't have a link for you.

Virtually ALL *edit* CURRENT deaths are from non vaccinated.
Overwhelmingly new cases are from the un-vaccinated.
In essence the unvaccinated are the breeding ground and reason for new variants and adaptations.

Last edited by mgh888; 07/14/21 02:01 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
P
Legend
Legend
P
The issue for me is far more about punishing someone for informing people of their rights. It's actually the job of health care officials to inform the public of their rights to a vaccine as well has where to get them. Their job is to promote safety and health. Political punishment for trying to make people safer is a prime example of what's going on and why we see the discrepancy and numbers of vaccinated people in certain states more so than in others.

Cases and deaths are once again rising and this Delta variant is no joke. Yet we see Tennessee do something like this.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
That's nuts. I'd love to hear the specific reasons they cited as to why they did those things. Firing your top vaccine official as you're rolling out an EUA'd vaccine seems... not ideal (you can swap that with any number of more colorful words).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
It just keeps getting nuttier.....

Republican lawmakers threaten to dissolve Health Department over child vaccines

GOP legislators came close Wednesday to dumping the Tennessee Department of Health after accusing it of targeting minors for mass vaccinations without parental consent.

Instead, the Government Operations Committee ordered Health Commissioner Lisa Piercey to soften the state’s efforts to vaccinate children, mainly by bringing parents into the fold, and report back in July.

Republican lawmakers repeatedly pointed toward a picture of a teenager on the state’s website displaying a bandage on her shoulder after having a vaccine. The wording above says Tennesseans 12-16 are eligible to get a shot, evidence the state is pushing vaccines on children, legislators said.

Piercey repeatedly told members of the panel the state is giving Tennesseans the choice to have vaccinations. But to no avail.

Sen. Kerry Roberts, R-Springfield, told Piercey, “It looks like there is a mission here, an agenda here to have children vaccinated with or without parental consent.”

Football coaches, band directors and drama teachers should not pressure students to get vaccinations or face not being able to participate, said Roberts, who claimed he had evidence schools are pushing teens to get the vaccine.

Piercey responded by saying, “Under no circumstance is the department encouraging children to seek out vaccination without parental consent.”

The commissioner explained the circumstances in which children might get vaccinations without parental consent under the state’s Mature Minor Doctrine would be rare, for instance, when parents are drug abusers and incapable of taking care of their children.

Fewer than 10 children have gone to health departments without parents, and three of those were her children, Piercey said.

“I think there is a sense that we are hiding in dark alleys and whispering to kids, hey, come get vaccinated. We’re not doing that. We’re not encouraging that. It is an allowance, and we do believe that vaccination is the right thing to do for children, and so we don’t want to prohibit that, if that’s something they want to do,” Piercey said.

Asked Wednesday if Gov. Bill Lee is standing behind Commissioner Piercey and the Department of Health, spokeswoman Casey Black said, “The governor has been clear in his public comments that parents should be the authority on decisions about their child’s health.”

Piercey declined to comment as she left Wednesday’s meeting, saying she was late for an administration meeting. Department of Health spokesman Bill Christian said all questions needed to be sent to him by email.

The uproar stems, in part, from a memo by Dr. Shelley Fiscus, head of immunology in the department, to “vaccination partners” discussing emergency use authorization of the Pfizer vaccine for children 12 and under.

Piercey and Education Commissioner Penny Schwinn also wrote a letter June 3 stating the U.S. Food and Drug Administration approved the emergency use of Pfizer-BionTench COVID-19 vaccine for children as young as 12. But they noted in the letter that schools work under a “stringent standard” and must receive written parental consent before administering medical care.

Despite those types of assurances, Republican legislators grilled Piercey for more than an hour, even after she explained that COVID-19 cases have plummeted to 278 statewide and that only eight pediatric deaths have been reported, a mortality rate of .56% per 100,000 children.

“I don’t want to say it’s over. But we have had tremendous success in battling it right now,” Piercey said.

She noted natural immunity through contracting and getting over the illness as well as acquired immunity through vaccination have combined to quell the virus. Piercey pointed out, however, that vaccinations likely have longer-lasting effects than natural immunity.

Sen. Janice Bowling, a Tullahoma Republican, was one of the first to blast Piercey, accusing the department of misusing the Mature Minor Doctrine, which is based on case law, not state law passed by the Legislature.

It says children under 7 would not be able to make their own health-care decisions while for those between 7 and 14, a rebuttable presumption exists that they don’t have the capacity to decide about health care without parental consent. Between 14 and 18, young people have the capacity to decide, according to the doctrine, and a physician may treat without parental consent unless it is clear the child is not capable of making the decision.

Bowling said it was “very disconcerting” to see the memo from Fiscus and pointed out large numbers of people in Tennessee have made the personal decision not to have the vaccination.

Piercey acknowledged Wednesday that only about 37 to 39% of Tennesseans have had both shots, even though the vaccine is widely available on a daily basis.

“I am encouraging the Department of Health to back off the misunderstanding and misapplication of the doctrine,” Bowling said.

Sen. Mark Pody, R-Lebanon, was also incredulous that the state is encouraging children as young as 12 to get vaccinated even though 60% of the populace has chosen not to receive the shots.

“I’m asking this vaccination, this one that hasn’t even been fully examined and we don’t even know what the long-term effects are, that the majority of Tennesseans have said no to, but the Health Department of Tennessee says we should let 14-year-olds, if they choose, have this vaccination,” Pody said.

Piercey confirmed that policy is correct, eliciting “extreme disappointment” from Pody that the majority of adults could reject the vaccine but that a 14-year-old child “could say yes.”

Rep. Scott Cepicky, R-Culleoka, called the Health Department’s policy “reprehensible,” accusing it of encouraging children to go against their parents’ wishes and get the shots even though “we don’t even know what we’re putting in our bodies.”

Cepicky asked for a vote to bring the Department of Health and Commissioner Piercey back before the committee in July for more discussion and a potential vote on dissolving the department.

Roberts pointed out the Department of Health was created by the Legislature, not a constitutional mandate, which would give the General Assembly the ultimate say-so on whether it continues to operate.

Ultimately, though, legislators persuaded Cepicky to amend his motion and simply ask the department to make changes in its policy and return in July.

Said Rep. Mike Stewart, D-Nashville, “I’ve been as critical of the Department of Health as anybody in this room, but I don’t think it’s a good idea to reconstitute a department. I don’t think it’s a good way to run our government.”

Yet another Democrat, Sen. Heidi Campbell of Nashville, said she had seen “no evidence” that the state is targeting minors for vaccinations.

https://tennesseelookout.com/2021/06/17/...child-vaccines/

#gmstrong
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus French President and Covid...leadership or suppression

Link Copied to Clipboard