Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3186...er-trading-case

Mychal Kendricks sentenced to one day in jail, three years' probation in insider trading case
3:08 PM ET
Brady Henderson
ESPN
Facebook
Twitter
Facebook Messenger
Pinterest
Email
print
Free-agent linebacker Mychal Kendricks was sentenced Thursday to one day in jail, three years of probation and 300 hours of community service as a result of his 2018 guilty plea to insider trading charges.

Kendricks' agent, Doug Hendrickson, told ESPN that the linebacker is serving his one-day jail sentence Thursday. Hendrickson said that not knowing what kind of sentence to expect made it a "very emotional day" for Kendricks.

"Clearly, Mychal is very happy with the outcome and he's ready to continue playing football for someone," Hendrickson said.

The sentence, handed down by Judge Gene Pratter in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania, came after numerous postponements. Pratter said the time Kendricks has waited to be sentenced "must be a very significant punishment itself," according to The Philadelphia Inquirer.

One source familiar with the situation told ESPN in 2018 that Kendricks could be facing 30 to 37 months in prison -- as had been reported -- based on federal guidelines and the amount of money involved in his case. The Inquirer reported that prosecutors and Kendricks' defense asked Pratter for a lower sentence, saying he had cooperated with investigators, including his providing of information that led to charges against his childhood friend, Mark Wayne "Christian" Ramsey.

"I've been a role model, and it's tough when a little kid comes up to you and asks if you're going to jail," Kendricks said in court, with his voice shaking, according to The Inquirer. "For the past years, I haven't been able to answer that."

Kendricks must also pay a $100,000 fine, per The Inquirer.

Kendricks apologized in a statement after the charges were announced in August 2018, saying that while he didn't fully understand the details of the illegal trades, he knew it was wrong and that he "wholeheartedly" regretted his actions. That September, he pleaded guilty to one count of securities fraud and one count of conspiracy to commit securities fraud. He previously had agreed to repay the money he made off the illegal trades.

"I will continue to be a vocal example who will speak about being honest, being true, recognizing your wrongdoings and learning from those, such as I have," he said, according to the newspaper. "My lawyer told me not to say 'never.' But I can truly say that I never want to relive this again."

According to the Securities and Exchange Commission complaint, a Goldman Sachs investment banking analyst, Damilare Sonoiki, illegally fed Kendricks information in 2014 about corporate acquisitions that his bank was advising before those deals were publicly announced. The complaint alleges that those tips helped Kendricks make about $1.2 million in illegal profits by purchasing securities in four companies that were about to be acquired. Sonoiki also pleaded guilty to securities fraud in September 2018.

Kendricks, who is 30, was a member of the Philadelphia Eagles at the time of the illegal trades, having been drafted by the team in the second round in 2012. He was released in May 2018, signed a one-year deal with the Cleveland Browns the next month and was released by Cleveland after the charges were announced in August.

The Seattle Seahawks signed Kendricks in September 2018, one week after his guilty plea. He served an eight-game suspension later that season for a violation of the NFL's personal conduct policy, which stemmed from the insider trading case.

Kendricks made 17 starts over two seasons with the Seahawks, finishing each season on injured reserve. He was signed to Seattle's practice squad last October, then finished the year on the Washington Football Team's active roster.

Hendrickson said Kendricks' supporters around the NFL wrote letters to the court vouching for him.

"I think there was over 150 letters of support ranging from -- I won't name names -- but head coaches in the NFL to general managers to the league office, the union, players on down to high school coaches and so forth and so on," he said. "So everybody was really supportive and behind him in terms of that. I'd like to think hopefully that went into part of the decision for people to understand who Mychal is.

"Certainly he screwed up and made a bad decision and he owned up to it, and now that chapter is over and now he's free to keep playing. He's got a lot of football left in him."

NFL commissioner Roger Goodell and Seahawks coach Pete Carroll were among those who wrote letters, according to the Inquirer, with Goodell's stating that Kendricks has since "made himself a public example of the consequences of engaging in securities fraud" and that he "is committed to rebuilding both his reputation and his life."

It's not clear why Kendricks' sentencing date was continually pushed back. Those can be changed at the request of the defense, the U.S. attorney or the court. The expectation for several months has been that Kendricks would finally be sentenced in July.

Hendrickson said teams interested in Kendricks have been waiting on his sentencing before proceeding.

"He's serving one day in jail, which is as we speak," Hendrickson said. "So as of tomorrow he's legitimately free to sign with any team. There's no restrictions. There's no pending possible dates in the future. As you know, he's already been suspended by the league in the past."

Over nine seasons and 104 career games, Kendricks has 548 tackles, 19 sacks and four interceptions.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
#privilege

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
C
Legend
Legend
C

Kind of fun.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
HaHa Panther fans - enjoy the lawn dart throws.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by cfrs15

Kind of fun.

That's a lot more than I would have expected.

Legend
Legend
That’s about 10 million more than I would have expected haha. But really, that’s a lot

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
I didn't see that one coming.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
That's about 9 million more than OBJ will get.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Insane money for a QB who is FINISHED.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Darnold would not have been a good choice.. That surprises me.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Is he going to play tight end? Because, I don't think he can throw any more ...

1 member likes this: WSU Willie
T
Legend
Legend
T
Kendricks. Really looks like a victim of the system. 1.2 million dollars in profit is chump change in the entirety of the stock trading world.
So he really didn't benefit in any way.
He really seems like a role model and more people should be like him.
Kendricks used to be a Brown, and the trading accusation situation, seemed to and may have led to him leaving the Browns.
Imo. The Browns should have, Would have rather, would have been a better team all along if they had kept Kendricks to fill that need at a linebacker spot, and even today would provide a great option for the Browns at linebacker.
I'd like to see the Browns bring Kendricks back.
It's a shame he was railroaded by the system that attacks people who trade stocks.
It seems like he has been a stand up role model for his entire career.
Browns Gotta Get that guy!!!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted by PitDAWG
I didn't see that one coming.

With the way he was released, I didn't think that he'd want anything to do with them... I guess $10 million will do that.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
1 member likes this: PitDAWG
C
Legend
Legend
C

P
Legend
Legend
P
Aaron Rodgers’ future? Uncertain, but he knows this: ‘I don’t want to be part of a rebuild'

https://madison.com/wsj/sports/foot...711878f-21a0-5819-bdbc-a7034ea99c17.html

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted by SuperBrown
Insane money for a QB who is FINISHED.

QB's get insane money.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Rodgers called Davante Adams the best WR in the league. So, for anyone wanting him here, I have a question: Would Rodgers AND Adams coming here, the QB and his favorite target, guarantee us a trip to the Super Bowl? If you can't say yes, how could we justify bring Rodgers in?

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted by OldColdDawg
Rodgers called Davante Adams the best WR in the league. So, for anyone wanting him here, I have a question: Would Rodgers AND Adams coming here, the QB and his favorite target, guarantee us a trip to the Super Bowl? If you can't say yes, how could we justify bring Rodgers in?

There is no way any player (or pair of players) coming here could guarantee a Super Bowl trip. They would certainly help the odds though.

I'd be more interested in Adams and less in Rodgers though. I think Rodgers is about to take a lot of money for a season and then check out unless he can screw over the Packers.

I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
I cant see a elite FA WR wanting.To sign with the Browns. The WR is a
Complementary piece of offense in Stefanskis scheme.
When.you around the Browns , the moneyball dorks allocate the most
Of salary cap to other areas, like oline and RB and TEs.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe those people don't have enough faith in a QB they didn't draft to build the offense around him?

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted by Iluvmyxstripper
I cant see a elite FA WR wanting.To sign with the Browns. The WR is a
Complementary piece of offense in Stefanskis scheme.
When.you around the Browns , the moneyball dorks allocate the most
Of salary cap to other areas, like oline and RB and TEs.

Didn’t we pay like $30 million this year for OBJ and Landry?

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Yep , and how did that turn out .. lol

DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Free Agents | Part 6,324,198

Link Copied to Clipboard