Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#1874143 08/06/21 05:49 AM
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I thought it would be interesting to take a daily look at Ski's presser and it might lead to some interesting conversation because it sort of touches on everything when it comes to the team.

With that said I will try to keep this updated from one day to the next but I won't be the least bit offended if someone else puts it up if they happen to be the 1st to see or read his daily remarks.

With that said here goes.

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Wednesday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Here’s a transcript, as provided by the Browns’ media-relations department:

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. (RB) Tre Harbison yesterday suffered a concussion – unfortunate; it was an accident in seven-on-seven – he will be out.”

On the hit Harbison took in practice yesterday:

“Just kind of a freak thing where they collided. It was unfortunate. Talked to him this morning. He is doing fine.”

On what the Browns will be working on during practice today:

“Everything.”

On if the Browns will work on goal line today:

“No, not yet. We have a little bit more of our third downs going in. You will see a move-the-ball period at the end where we will get everybody off of the field and get used to substituting on offense and defense and they do not have their coaches next to them with the script and telling them what play is coming next. Going to challenge them a little bit mentally and physically in that regard.”

On recapping the team’s first day in pads yesterday:

“First of all, I would say the guys did a nice job of taking care of each other. I thought they practiced really hard and it was physical, but they did not take any kill shots and they helped each other. If a guy was in a precarious position, you do not finish him and those types of things. It is important that the guys understand how we practice and how we get our work in while taking care of each other. The red zone work was great. As you know, it is an important part of the game. It becomes tight-window throws. In the run game, the safeties are closer to the line of scrimmage so the blocking force becomes more difficult. There were some really nice moments from our defense playing really tight coverage down there, which is required.”

On if he ever does periods with live tackling to the ground during training camp:

“We will see. It is something that we talk about. We tackle every day in a drill setting, if you will, but we want to see where we are in the next few days before we make that determination.”

On if there will be full tackling periods during the team’s joint practices with the NY Giants:

“I will talk to (NY Giants Head) Coach (Joe) Judge about that.”

On LB Mack Wilson’s interception yesterday and Wilson’s shape to start camp:

“An outstanding play by Mack – elevated, went and got it and displayed great hands. He has been trying to get on goal line offense for a long time telling me about those hands (laughter). He came in great shape physically. I think he is running really well and is still powerful, and then mentally, I think he is just in a really good spot.”

On DE Jadeveon Clowney getting penetration and pressure consistently in yesterday’s practice:

“He has been disruptive certainly in the run and the pass game. He is a long athlete with power. He and (T) Jack Conklin, that is two pros going at each other. It is fun to watch. I think he is fitting into what we are doing and who we are. This is the first time at length he is around his teammates. I think he is assimilating well.”

On the importance of having many players who can be disruptive on defense:

“You want to pressure the quarterback. Sometimes they materialize in sacks and that is obviously the goal, but being around the quarterback, affecting the quarterback, affecting the throw and making him get to his check-down sooner than he wanted is a big deal. For our entire defense, we have a rush plan. It is about creating one on ones and winning those one on ones, but you have to rush together in order to have that plan have some success.”

On if the team tracks the number of times a Browns player disrupts a play but may not get a sack or QB hit:

“Yes, definitely. It is important to know the guys who are affecting the passer.”

On balancing QB Baker Mayfield wanting to be competitive with also teaching and learning, given Mayfield’s reaction during one period of practice yesterday:

“That is the point is you have to learn from every single rep that you get. That period in particular, I think the defense was outstanding – I really do. Guys were tightly covered. They did a nice job. Conversely on offense, someone has to make a play – someone has to shake free and the quarterback has to put it on the money in those tight windows. It is a great competitive drill, but I would give a hat tip to the defense.”

On if it is expected for the defense to be a little bit ahead of the offense at this point in training camp:

“That is the classic ‘the defense is always ahead of the offense [at this point].’ I do not know how true it is or is not, but I think both sides and both units are progressing.”

On evaluating success of run plays when the team is not doing full tackling:

“From the offense’s perspective, you are trying to make sure that the front is blocked up, are you assignment sound and is everyone getting to their responsibility. (RBs) Nick (Chubb) and Kareem (Hunt), they will finish the run regardless of if they were tackled five yards in the backfield. We also want them to be able to finish the run because we want the defense to ball search. We want to get 11 hats to the ball. We want guys poking and trying to pull that thing out and raking at it so that is part of working together. Let the runners run, fit them up, show that you are in position to make the tackle and let them run so the next guy can come in and get their ball-security work.”

On if the NY Giants’ fight in practice yesterday raises any concerns ahead of the joint practices in two weeks:

“No, I am worried about the Cleveland Browns.”

On his impression of Clowney off of the field:

“Jadeveon is doing a really nice job. I enjoy having him out here. He is a lively presence. He is a good teammate. He enjoyed practicing and enjoys running around. I see that from him. You mention the meeting rooms, he has been on point. He is trying to learn what we are doing and learn these techniques. He has been so far so good.”

On Clowney saying this is the healthiest he has been in his NFL career and if the team is managing his reps to help keep that the case:

“We will be smart with all of these guys, and Jadeveon is somebody we will be smart with as we continue along. He has worked really hard. He is in a good spot physically.”

On if the Browns have a timeline for when S Grant Delpit will participate in team drills:

“I think we will mix him, and I think he has been mixing in as we go. We will just bring him along at the discretion of the medical staff.”

On if Delpit’s timeline is based on rehab from the Achilles and that Delpit is not dealing with any other ailments:

“He is coming back from the Achilles. Just listening to the medical staff.”

On WR Donovan Peoples-Jones cerebral nature, if that manifests itself in football IQ and if it is unusual for that at the WR position:

“For sure, it does. No, I do not find it unusual for that position. There are a bunch of smart receivers. We have talked about Jarvis’ understanding of football. We have a young kid (WR) Anthony Schwartz who is really ahead of the curve when it comes to understanding ball. I have been impressed with that room in total. Donovan certainly is a guy who we knew last year would put a lot on his plate, and he was able to handle all of it.”

On how well K Cody Parkey has responded to a rough first day of training camp:

“He is doing a nice job. It is a body of work. The evaluation does not end today. It is a continuous thing. That goes for Cody and every single one of our players.”

On if CB Greedy Williams still needs to be cleared for contact:

“No, he is good to go.”

On if Williams will get more work today:

“Yes, he is doing fine.”

On LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah’s first day on the field:

“It is going to take time for anybody coming back and missing some time, but he is getting extra work in. It is hard for me to make any judgments off of one day so far.”

On if Williams will participate in team drills today:“Yes.”

On some players not wearing shoes during walkthrough:

“It is basically do not be in cleats. It is either be in flips flops or socks or barefoot – I do not really care – or sneakers. The idea is just to slow the pace down. You can say walkthrough, and guys get competitive and they want to go fast. I just want to make sure we are smart when we are walking through and that we are truly walking through. Now, some guys have some interesting foot [wear] choices out here, but that is up to them.”

On the importance of doing push-ups with the them and his strong form:

“I am glad you noticed it (laughter). Whenever we have a competition for push-ups, I am losing no matter what. Whether the offense wins or the defense wins, I lose.”

On what he learned about LT Jedrick Wills over the past year after transitioning to LT:

“He has done a nice job. I was just to Jed yesterday about how it may be only one calendar year but just how much farther along he is right now, and that is just from a technical standpoint, from a comfort level, like you mentioned, and moving from right to left without the offseason without the preseason games so he is in a really good spot.”

On if the Browns were always confident in Wills’ ability to switch positions despite all of the adversity last season:

“We had a lot of confidence in him because of the mental makeup and because of the physical skills. We knew it was not going to be perfect early, and for 99 percent of rookies, it is not perfect early. There is a learning curve to how that goes, and we understand that.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:
On the importance of having many players who can be disruptive on defense:

“You want to pressure the quarterback. Sometimes they materialize in sacks and that is obviously the goal, but being around the quarterback, affecting the quarterback, affecting the throw and making him get to his check-down sooner than he wanted is a big deal. For our entire defense, we have a rush plan. It is about creating one on ones and winning those one on ones, but you have to rush together in order to have that plan have some success.”

I am very interested to see what this team does as the season goes along. I believe because of the team speed and the ability of the back end to be interchangeable will see pressure coming from all over the place. I think we will have some sort of pressure coming on nearly every play and that this defense will be a big play attacking defense because there will be so much diversity across that entire group. Sort of fun to think of what is possible?

I also think that there has never been this sort of defense put together it's all new and I wonder how much will just have to wait as it evolves and grows as the season unfolds. For sure I don't see the Browns giving so much as a whiff of what they intend to do with this defense until September the 12th.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Tre Harbisson Rb concussion.

Tre rushed for 2600+ total career yards in 3 college years of whatever tiny 2nd-3rd tier schools he played at. Not all Rb's rush for 2000+ yards, John Kelly didn't.

I believe you don't get to 2000 yards, even in a double-lesser school without building muscle memory and an understanding of the full days work at Rb, one would think.
( So in my mind I nicknamed him 2K Tre. "Not 2K Tre! He has a concussion, oh no.") Why it matters.

I think among the Rb's beyond Chubb and Hunt, the others, so
Felton, D'Ernest Johnson, John Kelly, the 2 fullbacks, one of the front runners is Demetric Felton
and,
if Felton has one weakness
is it the up the middle all day long aspect of RB.

This is also the 3 week stretch most important for someone in Tre Harbissons position if they are going to overachieve.
(Tre Harbisson #37 rb, and other udfa Emmanuel Rugumba Cb, Miami (oh), #37 share the same jersey number.) frown
(Demetric Felton Rb, #25 and Brian Allen Cb, #25 share the same jersey number.) frown

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
A
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
A
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Wednesday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

1 -On LB Mack Wilson’s interception yesterday and Wilson’s shape to start camp:

“An outstanding play by Mack – elevated, went and got it and displayed great hands. He has been trying to get on goal line offense for a long time telling me about those hands (laughter). He came in great shape physically. I think he is running really well and is still powerful, and then mentally, I think he is just in a really good spot.”

2 - It is a great competitive drill, but I would give a hat tip to the defense.”

On if it is expected for the defense to be a little bit ahead of the offense at this point in training camp:

“That is the classic ‘the defense is always ahead of the offense [at this point].’ I do not know how true it is or is not, but I think both sides and both units are progressing.”

3 - On if the NY Giants’ fight in practice yesterday raises any concerns ahead of the joint practices in two weeks:

“No, I am worried about the Cleveland Browns.”

4 - On if CB Greedy Williams still needs to be cleared for contact:

“No, he is good to go.”

On if Williams will get more work today:

“Yes, he is doing fine.”

On #1 - Fingers crossed on Wilson and his possible contribution to the LB rotation.

On #2 - I know it's just training camp speak, but wouldn't it be great if the defense were gelling a little sooner in the season than some believe (including me)?.

On #3 - Just good to hear the obligatory words, I guess.

On #4 - Love hearing this about Greedy.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Here is your daily Ski transcript.

On LB Mack Wilson saying he considered retirement last season and if he had sensed Wilson was at that level of frustration:

“Maybe not to that level, but I think it points out that everybody is dealing with things in the course of the season. We go through adversity as a team, and sometimes you go through personal adversity. Really pleased with where Mack is right now physically and mentally.

On if DE Takk McKinley or WR Anthony Schwartz will be practicing today:

“Schwartz is working through a hamstring. Takk is excused. He is excused for personal reasons but expect him back.”

On how difficult it is to separate football from the personal side of the business when evaluating players:

“I think you are right that there is a personal aspect to this. We talk about being a family, and we try to act like it. It is difficult when you have to release players. I have said it before, I would love to keep everybody. It is just not the reality of the National Football League. Until that time comes, we are going to just compete every single day. I think the guys are doing a nice job of that.”

On the significance of CB Greedy Williams practicing in pads yesterday following a long rehab process:

“Extremely happy for him. You remember last year, he is in the training room, there is a lot of uncertainty and he is trying and trying and doing everything he could. That was a lot on him – physically and mentally – so for him to get back out here with the pads on and compete with his guys, yeah, I am really proud of him.”

On if Williams has been knocking off the rust during practice:

“He is doing a nice job. It is totally reasonable to be rusty like you mentioned. He is really working on his technique. He is taking everything that (pass game coordinator/defensive backs) Coach (Jeff) Howard, (assistant defensive backs) Coach (Brandon) Lynch and (defensive coordinator) Coach (Joe) Woods are giving him. He is working really hard.”

On Williams’ fighting spirit:

“Any time you are injured and you are away from the team, it is a lot. It is hard to go through. He has kept fighting from the jump. He is another great example of guys who are faced with adversity, in this case football adversity and injury, and he really overcame it.”

On how the Browns plan to manage playing time in the preseason:

“We have had a lot of discussions about it. As we get to that week, we will firm up some of those decisions. Certainly, something I have talked with coaches about.”

On what the Orange & Brown Practice will look like for fans:

“It is going to be a nice spirited practice in FirstEnergy Stadium. Going to fun to be around our fans again in our building. We will have a nice two-hour long practice where guys are competing against each other. We will do some red zone work. We will do some two-minute work. We will see some situational ball.”

On if there will be tackling to the ground on Sunday:

“We shall see.”

On if he is considering allowing full tackling on Sunday:

“We consider everything.”

On if it was a high priority to have a joint practice during training camp:

“I think it is always a great opportunity to go up against another team. For us, it just worked out really well. Schematically, they are different than us on offense and on defense so both of our units get to face a different unit. I just think it is a great point in camp when you are tired of going against your own guys and you are tired of going against the same scheme to mix it up and get really good competitive work in a controlled environment.”

On if he considered having joint practices with two teams this training camp:

“Like I said, we consider everything (laughter). We felt like this was the right way to do it.”

On if he foresees teams holding more joint practices in the future, given the shortened preseason schedule:

“That definitely could be in the future. I do think it is just a great chance to get two teams on a field. You get to determine what you want to do. For instance, sometimes you get into a preseason game and you do not an opportunity for a two-minute drill. Now, you can control it and you can get exactly what you want to get in that setting where you are typically taking care of each other, being safe and those type of things.”

On what has been most impressive about WR Donovan Peoples-Jones:

“He has done a nice job. Physically, when he showed up on campus here, he was ready to roll and looked great. Worked very hard in the offseason. He has been productive in practice, catching balls that are coming to him. Probably the most impressive thing is special teams – running around returning kicks and covering kicks. He is an all-day guy right now.”

On what it can do for Peoples-Jones’ future to be around wide receivers coach Chad O’Shea and WRs Odell Beckham Jr. and Jarvis Landry:

“I think it is a big deal when you are raising these rookies in the rooms that they grow up in, sort of speak. To be around some veterans that have done it at a high level and to be around a coach like Coach O’Shea, who has multiple Super Bowl rings to prove it, I think that is great for a player’s development.”

On if he still feels strongly about the FB position after acquiring more talent at the RB and TE positions:

“I think we feel strongly about the position. We have to see how it shakes out. We like our two fullbacks we have – it is a competitive group – and then those types of discussions occur over time.”

On if anything has stood out most about CB Greg Newsome II:

“Similar to Donovan Peoples-Jones, he can run and he runs all day, and he gets a ton of reps. He is out there on special teams. There is no shortage to what he is doing right now. We are really throwing a lot at him, and he has been able to handle all of it.”

On how DE Jadeveon Clowney has fit into the Browns defense:

“A really a good fit. Cultural, he has been great to be around. A fun teammate. Enjoys practice. He is having fun. I think he talked about it with you guys. He is healthy so he is feeling good and moving around. Then the fit schematically, he has played in systems similar to this so it is fun to see him be very disruptive throughout the course of practice.”

On if the team puts more emphasis on the practice at the stadium and the upcoming joint practice with the New York Giants:

“No, I think it is all part of the evaluation. It is really a practice down there on Sunday – you can call it a scrimmage if you want – but we are still trying to get better. It is not time for the lights to come on – that will happen in Jacksonville.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
I love the way he says a lot without really saying anything at all. He never over hypes our players nor does he undermine them. He speaks in generalities. And I mean that as a good thing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ski's daily

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. It is going to be a hot one out here. Get some good work in. We are going to bring the tempo down a little bit towards the end of practice just as part of our plan. We will be in the stadium tomorrow.”

On if a lot is being asked of the slot CBs like CB Troy Hill mentioned and how Hill has picked up the scheme:

“Troy has done a nice job. The scheme he played in, there are some similarities and there are some differences. You certainly are part of the run fit, you are in the pressures, you are playing coverage and you are playing man. He has a well-rounded game in there. You have to be really smart in there. Being part of that run fit, you have to think about different formations and how you fit in. He has done a nice job.”

On if Hill takes the mental side of the job very seriously:

“He does. You have to spend time. There are so many looks you can get in that space, and the you have to be in coverage. You have to know how to disguise – that is a big part of it. Film study with those nickels is a big deal.”

On how nice it is to hear that Hill is excited to be a part of CB Greg Newsome II’s NFL journey:

“That is Troy Hill. I That is part of the reason he is here is those leadership abilities. He has been through a lot in his life. I think he is looking forward to mentoring guys in where he is.”

On the extra work that QB Baker Mayfield and WR Odell Beckham Jr. are getting on the side:

“When you are talking about the pass game in general, it is about precision and it is about being accurate when you are throwing the ball, getting the right depth, running the right route and quarterback getting the right feel for how a receiver runs a route because all the guys are different. There is great value in the work those guys are getting. It is scripted. The coaches know exactly what throws they want to get an in what order. Those two, that battery has gotten a ton of great reps over there.”

On when Beckham will join 11-on-11 drills:

“Appropriately is the plan. We are just taking in all the advice of the medical team and Odell himself, and just making sure we do this the right way.”

On how Ts Jack Conklin and Jedrick Wills Jr. have handled facing DEs Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney in practice:

“Those guys are getting an honest day’s work. That is a great testament to how you can practice out here, push each other, compete and try and make each other better. Jed and Jack get really good work versus different styles. Myles and Jadeveon are different in how they rush, but certainly, the effort is there and they are going full speed all of the time. It is only going to make both sides better.”

On DT Andrew Billings:

“He is a big man. He is moving people in the run game. Can defeat double teams. He has a great motor. He goes sideline to sideline and is a big man running. He is not the loudest guy, but he brings an understated toughness to that group.”

On if there have been any hesitancies for the Browns to welcome back teammates who opted out last season:

“No, none at all. They were upfront with us last year. We were upfront with them and stayed in communication with them. No, nothing lasting from that at all.”

On if Billings will only be used on running downs:

“I do not think so. All of the rotations need to be played out and we will see how that goes, but certainly, when you are talking about his strength in there at the nose position – whether he is playing shade or a 2I – he brings power to the game. That can show up certainly in the pass game to push the pocket.”

On DT Tommy Togiai:

“I really like what Tommy has been doing. Going all of the way back when he first showed up here on campus, just in the meeting room, in the weight room and on the field, does everything that is asked of him and does it the right way. I see him getting better with some of the technique work that he is getting with Coach Kiff (defensive line coach Chris Kiffin) and (assistant defensive line) Coach (Jeremy) Garrett out there. Tommy is really putting in the work, and I am seeing it show up.”

On if Togiai’s strength and bench press ability is translating to the field:

“Definitely. You see it when the pads are on and those guys come off of the ball and can extend their arms versus the offensive line. You can definitely see that power.”

On if the team has to guard against players being overly aggressive in the weight room where they could get injured:

“Our strength coaches are smart about those types of things. They work with everybody at the level they are capable of, and we work hard in there. Talk about you want to be bigger, faster and stronger, a lot of that shows up in the weight room. We want to work hard in there, but we are making sure that we are being smart.”

On if bench press or power lifting is a better indication of strength:

“I am the wrong person to answer that (laughter). I will get you with one of the strength coaches.”

On how to ensure the team can consistently compete and last year’s playoff berth not be a one-off circumstance:

“We have talked about it with the team before – obviously, we have talked about it in this setting – every year stands on its own merit. You have to show up every day to compete, and that is where our focus is.”

On offensive line Coach Bill Callahan entering his second year working with the Browns:

“Work is a good word for Coach Callahan and those guys. They are constantly working. Scott Peters, our assistant offensive line coach, you have to include him in that group, too. Those guys really every period if you watch, we may be in special teams and they are over there working on something. That is just a great message to the veterans and to the young guys that you have to work on your craft. I think we have two experts in that area to work with those guys, and we have (offensive quality control coach) John Decoster over there, as well. I see a lot of technique going on. I have seen Coach Callahan on his hands and knees getting guys into three-point stances how he wants it. They are certainly learning from some coaches who I think have a ton to give them.”

On if it is a good precedent for players to think Callahan is a tough coach:

“Coach Callahan has a way about him. That is how he has been coaching for years. I have heard the stories going way back to his college days. He coaches them hard, and he is fair. I think the guys respect that.”

On T Chris Hubbard coming back from his season-ending injury:”Hubb is doing a nice job. I think physically, he is doing really well, and then he has kind of picked up where he left off. In drills and on the field, he is looking like Hubb to me, which is a testament to the hard work he has put in to get to this point.”

On if the specialists will kick towards the Dawg Pound at tomorrow’s practice:

“If you want us to, we will (laughter). I will talk to (special teams coordinator) Coach (Mike) Priefer. We are going to have to wait and see. It will be worth the price of admission.”

On if DE Takk McKinley will return to practice today:

“We will not have Takk back today.”

On if there was an expectation for when McKinley will return:

“I really do not.”

On the next steps for QB Baker Mayfield:

“It is Year 2 in the system for Baker so it is fine tuning on all the things that we have been building upon going back to last year. That is true of really all of our returning guys is building off of what you did last year and some of the hard work that you put in. Then as you get into Year 2, 3 or 4, the nuance of all of these things starts to become even clearer.”

On if Mayfield is allowing him in the QB RV:

“Nope, I did not get an invite to that either.”

On what he admires the most about Hubbard as a person:

“Great teammate. I think you can judge a lot about a player out here on the field in how they treat their teammates. He is always supportive and constantly around the guys offering any help. I think he is just outstanding in that regard.”

On what does it take to have the mindset and ability to come back year after year like Callahan:

“Coach likes to grind. He likes to coach, and he likes putting the gameplans together. He is somebody who is in the fray. He does a great job for us. His office is right next to mine. He is a huge resource to me with him being a former head coach, and he has seen so much. I just think the guy is outstanding.”

On what number training camp it is for him:

“I was not a math major so someone is going to have to figure that out (laughter).”

On if he knows what day of training camp it is:

“I do not. I get reminded sometimes the day of the week (laughter).”

On if he worked with Callahan before last year:

“No, I had not worked with coach Callahan before, but (former NFL coach) Brad Childress had worked with Coach Callahan back at the University of Illinois so there was a connection there.”

On Callahan having the most booming voice on the coaching staff:

“He is pretty good. (Tight ends coach) Drew Petzing, when he is in his meetings, he is an auctioneer – we can hear him through the walls. Prief can get up there in the octaves.”

On if McKinley will be back during training camp:

“I just do not have a timeframe yet, but I can’t really get too far into it.”

On if he can disclose if McKinley will be back for the start of the regular season:

“I am hopeful, but I do not have a timeframe.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I love the way he says a lot without really saying anything at all. He never over hypes our players nor does he undermine them. He speaks in generalities. And I mean that as a good thing.

I really think he does present a great deal of information but the one thing he also always does is support the player, and issues between the player and staff is handled in house. I assume there are issues that come up and you never get a feel for what that is.

I really think the players appreciate his style and the fact that he always presents them in the best light. There is a genuineness to him that players seem to really gravitate to and hey it's impossible not to see the huge difference he is making for some players, Baker being #1 by a wide margin, and I think DPJ has been #2. I love that he seems to have a plan for everyone, what they need to work on and how to get to the desired results. He is IMO a great problem solver. That truly is a lost art in todays world. He identifies problems, then he sets about developing a plan be it adjustments to scheme tossing out plays or be it challenging the player to say work on their footwork.

I truly think we will see Baker again take a leap forward in his development. And I really view Baker at this juncture as being a second year player, because he simply wasn't getting the coaching he needed from his prior coaches in fact he was left to set the tone and the course and of course he was unprepared and regressed as a result. I truly respect this man Ski he is going to be here for a long long time and not every year is going to be a great year will scratch our heads at times but I have never felt more comfortable with a Browns HC he is a great teacher and leader, IMO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

I have watched every press conference KS has given.

Some head coaches seem to view the press as adversaries. They act guarded and short. Like the press is trying to get them in a gotcha moment.

Kevin looks directly at the person asking the question. Listens and responds. He answers the question but will never go overboard in praise nor will he ever slight a player.

He praises and supports his coaches. He is always on the moment trying to improve. That goes for himself and others.

He epitomises the phrase "have a plan; work the plan."

We are fortunate to have him as our head coach.
================================================

The Takk absence "seems" to be some kind of mental health issue. Be that personal or within his family.

When there is no known time frame for a return. That points to "do what you must do to get right."

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Quote:

Absolutely, a person who can motivate and make people around them better is a rare beast, I sure am glad he is on our side.

I respect this man greatly and while we will never know he is a huge reason we win football games.

I have re-watched the KC playoff game several times over the past few days and something stood out to me in that process.

Whatever he said to the team at half time really got their attention because the entire team kicked it up they began really giving everything they had on every play. I sure hope that is what we see game one this year and think a great showing in game one will be a precursor to the season ahead. I also think losing the 1st game might not be all that bad for us in the long haul.

Ski is a pro in every sense of the world and he gets everyone else around him to function on that level while enjoying each other and fighting for each other a real leader. I guess we know it now that we really have it where in the past we struggled to understand what it even looked like.

I view Ski as the next generation of football coaches. He like Paul Brown has brought a whole new way to the sport of football, IMO.

He is always looking ahead especially where IMO he shines most which is player development. He truly is in his element when it comes to breaking down players and helping them be their best version. In the past we failed so many times with our drafts I think we have seen the last of bad drafts and the reason is if the talent is there he will draw it out.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

Refreshing isn't it?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

I made mention of this in another thread.

IMO in baseball and basketball the manager or head coach is less influential on the outcome of a game than football.

A head coach in football is balancing a large 53 man roster. They have a huge staff. Their staff was hired by them in most cases. Their responsibilities are massive. They devise the game plan. Some call the plays. Most have major input on one or both sides of the ball.

They organise practice. They teach. They manage their staff.

They manage the team. That includes player development. And they set the tone for the team culture.

Teams in many ways reflect their head coach.

A difficult and consuming job.

Then add that they are all on a win now mode. For all the talk of building winning is all inclusive. You don't win. You don't last. In addition you don't get many chances.

NFL head coaches who last a long time with a team should get major credit. There is a lot stacked against them.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I wish the media would give the Takk McKinley questions a rest.
Until Takk comes back, who is outside defensive lineman 3? (As If, I didn't already have favorites to list).

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The lack of timetable is the worrisome part. It could point to something pretty serious going on on the personal side. It could also point to non-communication from his side. Either would be really bad at this point.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I made mention of this in another thread.

IMO in baseball and basketball the manager or head coach is less influential on the outcome of a game than football.

A head coach in football is balancing a large 53 man roster. They have a huge staff. Their staff was hired by them in most cases. Their responsibilities are massive. They devise the game plan. Some call the plays. Most have major input on one or both sides of the ball.

They organise practice. They teach. They manage their staff.

They manage the team. That includes player development. And they set the tone for the team culture.

Teams in many ways reflect their head coach.

A difficult and consuming job.

Then add that they are all on a win now mode. For all the talk of building winning is all inclusive. You don't win. You don't last. In addition you don't get many chances.

NFL head coaches who last a long time with a team should get major credit. There is a lot stacked against them.

I'd say all the sports are about the same. Probably baseball the least, but it is still a lot.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The lack of timetable is the worrisome part. It could point to something pretty serious going on on the personal side. It could also point to non-communication from his side. Either would be really bad at this point.

It could be a lot of things. I have a hard time trying to figure out any positive reasons, so I just count the egghead out until he isn't.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Post Orange and Brown Practice Ski Pressor

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Sunday’s Orange & Brown Practice at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. Great seeing our fans out here. This was incredible. Not surprised. This is a uniquely loyal fanbase, and I appreciate that. Great seeing all of the kids out here and people bringing their families out here so that was outstanding. They brought the energy. They definitely brought the juice out here. I know the players responded to that. Got some really good work in situationally. Saw us down in the red zone a couple of times. Saw some two-minute drills. Pleased with the work today.”

On Hall of Fame Head Coach Tony Dungy visiting today’s practice and addressing the team:

“I met Coach Dungy through (Bills defensive coordinator) Leslie Frazier years ago. Obviously, he is a Hall of Fame coach, but he is a Hall of Fame person. He has been very supportive of me, and we have stayed in touch. I made sure if he was in town for the festivities down there, I wanted him to come over and visit the team. I got to spend some time with him before practice and then he shared some words with the team. It was outstanding.”

On if the competition elevated in practice today due to having more fans and being at FirstEnergy Stadium:”Yeah, you definitely do. We track the intensity at practice via the GPS. It is amazing when you are in the stadium or the lights are on for a night practice and you have fans, all of a sudden, guys are running faster and they are running longer and the intensity picks up. Not surprised by that. Again, just kudos to our fans for coming out in mask.”

On if he was ever concerned that practice would have not taken place due to the weather:

“I do not if you remember last year, but there was some strange weather last year, as well (laughter). That is nothing new to us. We were pretty confident it was going to pass through and we could safely of practice.”

On if he feels like the TE group is coming together strong, especially as TE David Njoku performed well today:

“We feel good about that room – we have talked about it. We think all of those guys have unique skills. They all complement each other in their skills. Pleased to see them making some plays. They are going to have to continue to do that for us.”

On QB Case Keenum making tight throws today:

“Case did a job in there. The ball to (TE) Harrison (Bryant) was a really nice throw and a really great catch that Harrison made with the DB’s back turned to him. Case was good.”

On if S Grant Delpit missing multiple practices and if there is more to it than managing Delpit’s return from season-ending injury last year:

“He is dealing with a hamstring that he is working through.”

On if Delpit is expected to return is soon:

“I would hope so.”

On CB Denzel Ward being on the sideline in today’s practice:

“Just normal resting.”

On if speeding up the tempo is part of taking the offense to the next level:

“It is the natural evolution of things. To say we are going to do it every game, I do not know that, but you have to have many ways to attack a defense. We want to make sure that we are growing in that regard. For us, we always look at each game as ‘How do we win this game? What does this game call for?’ That is what practice is for – working all these things.”

On DT Malik McDowell leaving practice early:

“He had an oblique. I hesitate to call it a strain because I do not know. They took him in so we will see.”

On if he can share anything Dungy told him personally:

“It was a great conversation between coach and I. Again, he is somebody I could not have more respect for Tony Dungy and what he has meant to this game. He is a special, special person. He was upfront. He made sure that guys knew he was a Steeler, we get that (laughter), but he is an ambassador for football. I think he is an important figure in our game. I really could not be more humbled to have him out here to talk to the team.”

On if anything stands out about QB Baker Mayfield through the past weeks of training camp:

“He is pushing along. He has had some really good moments and some moments to learn from. That is the natural course of training camp. I think the defense has made our offense really really work. They have done a nice job of being tight in coverage. The pass rush and the run fits have been outstanding. It is a really good battle back and forth, and we have said that I know you want to score every practice, but I think these guys are trading blows every day.”

On if there was a particular reason the kickers kicked near the Dawg Pound:

“I knew you were going to ask me that (laughter). They came down this past week and kicked in the Dawg Pound so I made sure of that for you. We will work both sides as we get going.”

On if any young Browns players have stood out through this point in camp:

“That whole rookie class, they work really hard. That is no surprise to me because I was around them back in May seeing how they operate. They are pushing each other. I am pleased with all of those guys.”

On the first team offense not getting the results they wanted and if that helps when going back through film:

“You have to learn from every rep, good or bad. Certainly, it is not very fun when you learn from the bad reps, oftentimes for the players. We can teach off of it. It is our first time being in a two-minute team drill like that so communication just has to be on point. I thought the guys did a nice job, but you could say bad job by the offense and say good job by the defense. Just as long as we are continuing to learn and trying to get better with each rep.”

On if practice will be ramped up more on Tuesday after tomorrow’s off day ahead of the preseason game at Jacksonville:

“Not really. We are still in training camp mode. We will spend a little bit of time on Jacksonville on Thursday as we install a gameplan, but really, the focus for us is we have to get better at a lot of areas and we are not going to spend too much time on Jacksonville. Really, I should say, we will not spend time on that until Thursday. You are in training camp. There is a lot of work that needs to be done as opposed to putting in a gameplan to try to win the game.”

On if today’s practice marked the end of the first portion of training camp before things get ramped up in another phase:

“Not really. You get into where you are travelling and you are going to play some opponents, but we are definitely still in the dog days of training camp.”

On how his relationship with QB Baker Mayfield has evolved:

“It is like any relationship with all of those players. I feel like I know (WR) Jarvis (Landry) better. Jarvis can come up and tell me what he is seeing because we are not teaching the system brand new for all of the guys. I think certainly Baker, but all of those guys have made strides in understanding what we are doing. That is where the nuance comes in – I have talked about that before – where as coaches we can dive a little bit deeper into it. Baker is doing a nice job continuing to try and get better every day.”

On if he has an update on DE Takk McKinley:

“No.”

On how Mayfield is handling contract negotiations:

“Our guys are professionals. They understand there is a business side to this, but we keep it focused on practice and on the meeting room – that type of thing.”

On if Mayfield is locked in and not focused on the outside noise:

“I see him locked in.”

On if he ever met former Florida State head coach Bobby Bowden, who recently passed away:

“I did not. Condolences to the Florida State family and the Bowden family. A legend. I was reading about him this morning. The records are unbelievable.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

P
Legend
Legend
P
I especially liked reading this....

Quote:
On if speeding up the tempo is part of taking the offense to the next level:

“It is the natural evolution of things. To say we are going to do it every game, I do not know that, but you have to have many ways to attack a defense. We want to make sure that we are growing in that regard. For us, we always look at each game as ‘How do we win this game? What does this game call for?’ That is what practice is for – working all these things.”

There have been many discussions about how "we are a running team" or "we are a passing team.

All along I've stated that a smart, good coach doesn't dictate one style to model. That you study each opponent, find their weaknesses and game plan to exploit those weaknesses whatever they may be. Not only will a good coach do that with their defense, but also their offense.

If your opponent has a top 10 run defense and a bottom 10 pass defense, a good coach will exploit that team with the passing game and visa versa.

Some fans claim that our team should dictate their will on the opposing team. It seems Stefanski feels your will to win is the most important and you do that by adjusting your game plan to exploit the weaknesses of your opponent.

One week we may be a passing team and the next week we may be a running team. We are certainly built with the talent to be either when the situation calls for it.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'll admit that I'm starting to come around to this line of thinking. I don't think people calling our team 'a running team' at the beginning of last year was out of line. Our passing game (put another way, Baker) made huge progress over the course of last season. Browns definitely have an offense that's built to hurt defenses in different ways, but that was certainly NOT the case less than a year ago.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree. People try to use the analogy that he's a "system QB". But I think that's a term that is often misused as it is here. Sure you can implement a system that takes advantage of your teams strong points if you have weaknesses.

But no matter the system, a QB and the entire team needs some time to adjust to any new system. Simply looking at last years record indicates it didn't take long for this team and Baker to adjust and now we can score on opposing teams and win whether it's via the pass or the run.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I have watched every press conference KS has given.

Some head coaches seem to view the press as adversaries. They act guarded and short. Like the press is trying to get them in a gotcha moment.

Kevin looks directly at the person asking the question. Listens and responds. He answers the question but will never go overboard in praise nor will he ever slight a player.

He praises and supports his coaches. He is always on the moment trying to improve. That goes for himself and others.

He epitomises the phrase "have a plan; work the plan."

It’s called being a professional. I remember in past years with lots of past coaches and many posters on this board and elsewhere that wanted a highly emotional firebrand type, someone to really whip the team into shape (but really just reflect the anger of the fans). Stoicism, thoughtfulness, emotional sobriety and reservedness is often foolishly mistaken for passivity. But the best leaders IMO are almost always the adults in the room, the steady guiding hand, they think before the speak/act and don’t lose control of their emotions. They can absolutely marshal emotions when they need to but most days it’s about work, clearly communicating objectives and expectations and holding the team to them. The bigger and more dynamic the organization, the more you need your leader to be in control of themself. I would also contend they also need to be recognized as smart, confident and credible at a glance. But emotional smarts and self control are near the top of the list.

Needless to say, I hated the kitchen’s hire 10 seconds into the 1st interview I watched of his.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
From Yesterday

Opening statement:

“(LB) Anthony Walker (Jr.) will be back out there, which is great. Will see him go through some individual. (DE) Myles Garrett is dealing with a hamstring injury so we will hold him out. (CB) Denzel (Ward) is dealing with some soreness – we are going to rest him. There will be a few other guys that we are being smart with.”

On if Garrett’s injury is day to day:

“Yes.”

On if he expects Garrett to play on Saturday:

“We will talk about who is playing and that plan later in the week.”

On what has been most impressive about CB Greg Newsome II:

“When you are playing defensive back, it is and occupational hazard to get beat and there are those humbling moments. He is doing a nice job. He is so diligent about his work, understanding his job, understanding his techniques and constantly working on them to fine tune them. That is part of being a rookie, and particularly at that position where you are going up against some really good players. Some vets have some really crafty moves that you are going to see. It is only going to make him better.”

On how important it is for a rookie like Newsome to have humility:

“All of these guys are different. I have been around many different personalities, but I appreciate Greg. He is very authentic, and I think his teammates are enjoying getting to know him.”

On how Newsome has improved in the slot:

“He is doing a nice job. With all of these guys, you are trying to cross train them but be smart about not giving them too much and understand what rookies can handle what. He is somebody who we certainly want to take a look at outside and inside because oftentimes, you will end up inside even if you are playing outside corner. He is doing a nice job, and we are just continuing to bring him along appropriately.”

On if he prefers for WR Odell Beckham Jr. to be assimilated into team drills before or after the joint practices with the New York Giants:

“It does not matter. We are just making sure that we are being smart, taking everything into account and getting the work in that he is getting on the field and in the weight room. Taking it all in with the advice of the medical professionals, but when and who that is worth does not matter.”

On if TE is one of the toughest positions to transition from college to the pros:

“It can be. I would tell you there are not many tight ends that have their hand in the dirt and are base blocking a 6 technique or cutting off a 6 technique and getting involved in combinations with the tackle. We certainly see guys come from the collegiate level who have not done those things so there can be a learning curve. (TE) Harrison (Bryant) is as coachable as they get so he has listened intently over the course of this last year, and I think you are seeing some of the nuance in his game start to appear as he understands what it being asked of him.”

On if he can notice Bryant put on weight in the offseason:

“Yeah, I did. You notice it right when you see him for the first time. You want to put the right weight on and still be able to move around. I think he has done that. He looks good.”

On how he and tight ends coach Drew Petzing decide who to play among the TEs and when to play them:

“What you are trying to do is play everybody to their strengths. We are not at the point of game planning yet and saying, ‘This play is in for this player. This play is in for that player.’ Ultimately, we will get there, and understanding what their strengths are and asking a guy to do something that he is good at is part of our job. We have a year-plus with our tight ends and understanding what each one of those guys do, and they complement each other and they feed off of each other. They really push each other to compete. That is part of our job as you get to game planning is making sure that you are specific about where you are putting each guy.”

On if he game plans in the preseason:

“It is all part of the process. It is all part of the evaluation, but you do not want the guys to be thinking when they are playing. Similar to being on the practice field, you want them just to play, react and go. We will spend a little bit of time on our next two opponents. We will treat Atlanta like a game week in terms of schedule, but it is not like we are going to be doing everything in our power to game plan like crazy. Just want the guys to acclimated back to that regular seasons schedule.”

On if there is anything he is most looking forward to doing this preseason that he did not get to do last season:

“No, not really. What we had to do last year going down to the stadium and go through our pregame warmups, that was one thing you had to do because you do not want to show up to Week 1 and the guys are asking how do you warm up. It will just be three dress rehearsals, if you will, to get used to those type of things.”

On if offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt will call plays for a full game during the preseason:

“No, Alex will call some of it. I might have some of the other coaches call it, too, and get them some reps calling some plays. That is kind of an important part of development , as well. We are working through all of that right now.”

On the Browns working out multiple players this week, including QBs, and if the team hopes to add a ‘developmental QB’ to the roster:

“AB (Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager Andrew Berry) and the guys do a great job of keeping tabs of who is out there. Specifically to say we have to get a ‘developmental guy’ in there, it is really just making sure we keep tabs on a bunch of guys.”

On CB Greg Newsome II saying WR Jarvis Landry is one of the NFL’s best route runners, if he agrees and what makes Landry so good at it:

“Yeah, I do agree with that. There are a lot things. First of all, he is so competitive. When the ball is in the air, he goes and gets it and his hands are so strong. He had a play over here on a shallow cross where (CB) Troy Hill is all over him, and he just snatches that ball. He is a very competitive catcher of the football. He has a savviness to him. He makes very hard cuts coming out of his breaks. Just that competitive nature is what really defines him.”

On determining how much of a game assistant coaches may call during the preseason:

“We are working through it. AVP has done it. Obviously, he has done it previously in his career, but there are certain guys where I want them to know what it is like to call plays. It may be the second-to-last series of the fourth quarter that somebody get some reps of doing that.”

On if he has ever distributed play calling duties to other coaches in that fashion in the past:

“I have never done it, but I know of other teams who have done it. I think it is really smart.”

On why it is smart to give other assistant coaches the opportunity to call plays in preseason games:

“Getting guys reps. Just developing the coaches. I tell the story of my first time calling plays was my first time calling plays. I am worried about how to press the button and send the play in, when if I could not figure that out, we had bigger problems than previously thought. I just want those guys to go through that experience.”

On if COVID-19 plays a factor into allowing other assistant coaches to call plays, especially given he missed last season’s playoff game:

“It does not.”

On if he first called plays in a preseason game:

“In a regular season game.”

On if he was nervous during his first time calling plays in a game:

“Yeah, very nervous. You would be, too (laughter).”

On if he wished he had the opportunity to practice calling games sooner than he had to officially for the first time:

“Respectfully, I do not think it is that big of a deal. I just think it is good for guys to get reps at it.”

On the focus of allowing assistant coaches to call plays in the preseason being their personal development rather than team contingency plans:

“Yes.”

On if his first play call during his first game calling plays worked:

“Yes, it did.”

On what DT Malik Jackson is contributing to the Browns now:

“Leadership. He has been outstanding in the meeting rooms and on the practice field. He is a really nice schematic fit. He comes off of the ball. He is aggressive. He is long. He has done a nice job.”

On the value of new veteran additions bringing leadership to a team:

“Certainly, you look at our defense and (DE) Myles Garrett obviously, but to bring in Malik, (LB) Anthony (Walker) and (S) John Johnson (III) all on three different levels and throw Troy Hill in the mix – guys who are not afraid to take leadership roles on is important when you are talking about a defense gelling or a team gelling.”

On DE Porter Gustin rotating in when Garrett is resting and if other players will rotate in that ‘starting spot’:

“We will rotate a lot of those guys. It is reps. There are no jobs that are nailed down. We have to see a lot of guys. We will weave them in.”

On what DT Jordan Elliott’s second year will look like:

“That remains to be seen. These guys are still going through the process of training camp, figuring out their roles and those types of things. I would say with any player in Year 2, the comfort level with what of being asked of you and the comfort level organizationally should allow you to take that next step. Jordan is no different than all of those guys. He is doing a good job and he has to continue to do it. The fun part for these preseason guys is they get to see those guys go, play football, play a bunch of series and see how they respond to having to go back out there.”

On if DT Malik McDowell’s oblique may be a long-term injury:

“I would not call it long term, but we will be smart as he works through it.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

B
Legend
Legend
B
I wonder what Paul Brown would have to say about soreness?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
From today 8/11/21

On injury updates for TE David Njoku, DE Myles Garrett, CB Denel Ward and DE Jadeveon Clowney:

“David in particular is working through an injury. I think we will see him out there limited. The rest of the guys, we are just going to continue to be smart with them and see what they can do off of the field as we make sure we are taking care of them in the short term.”

On CB Denzel Ward’s injury and soreness being ‘mysterious’ to media to some degree:

“Not trying to be mysterious. He is working through some soreness, but he is doing a nice job. He is close.”

On what makes offensive line coach Bill Callahan so special:

“He is very sharp. He is meticulous. He coaches his guys hard, but he is very fair. He has a great demeanor. He is excellent as a game planner. He has been through a lot and he has seen a lot as a coach so he provides great value there to myself and to the other assistant coaches. Just on a specific technique level, he and (assistant offensive line coach) Scott Peters do an outstanding job with our players in getting them better and utilizing techniques that get them better. He is obviously outstanding in that regard.”

On if he has asked Browns leadership for a bigger indoor field house, given practice is taking place inside today:

“No. We can get our work done in there. It is going to be a lot of bodies. It is going to be hot and humid, but we can get our work done.”

On if practice will be scaled back today, given it will be inside:

“Obviously, we would prefer to be outside if we can. Unfortunately, we have to go inside. The good news is we are working red zone today and we are working goal line today so those are smaller area drills, if you will. We have been in there before with the full team. We will space out as much as we can. The intensity ramps up when you are inside, there is shorter area and you are not running from one field to the other. We will definitely get our work done.”

On the outlook for S Grant Delpit, who sustained a hamstring injury during training camp after having a season-ending injury last year:

“He is working hard to get back out there. You can’t rush that process. When he is ready, he will be out there. Reps are a premium. We all know that. We talk about it all the time. There is no substitute for those reps so when he is ready, he is going to get a bunch of them. It is what you do with those reps that matters, as you all know.”

On C JC Tretter taking himself out of a drill yesterday but returning later and his thought process when seeing a player potentially get injured:

“You do not want anyone to get injured at any point. As we all are well aware and the players are well aware, injuries are part of this game. We try to do everything in our power to stay safe, protect each other and practice really hard while taking care of each other. They try to do everything in their power prior to practice and training wise to make sure they are ready. The stark reality is that injuries are part of the game. Fortunately, that was nothing serious for JC. When I see something like that happen, I wait for the trainer to come over and give me an update – got a good one in that particular play. Just have to make sure we get our work done and continue to take care of each other.”

On if it is good to have a competitive and heated practice as long as players are taking care of each other like yesterday:

“Definitely. It was hot out there. The guys when they were walking by me, I could hear their feet squishing because they have all the sweat in their feet. You get hot and it can get physical, but the guys understand there is a way we practice. We can get a lot of work done and take care of each other and be physical. You can fit up the runner and let him run. You can ball search. An offensive lineman can have a defensive lineman in position where in a normal game you would drive him into the ground, but you hold him up because he is your teammate, and it is vice versa. A safety could have a kill shot on a wide receiver coming over the middle, and you do not take that because it is your teammate. The guys understand how we practice and how important it is to get our work in and do it safely.”

On DEs Porter Gustin and Curtis Weaver:

“They are doing a nice job. The guys understand how we want to play from a technical standpoint and from a scheme standpoint. Those defensive line individual drills are competitive. You see the guys pushing each other. To see those young guys out there getting reps and doing a nice job is important. It is going to be important to do today and then do it under the lights down in Jacksonville so we can evaluate these guys.”

On if he will be calling offensive plays during the regular season:

“Yes.”

On if he is more comfortable calling plays in his second year in the system:

“I think that is kind of what it is. You have a year under your belt as an offensive staff, the communication that has to occur during a game and the communication that occurs between me and the defensive staff and the game management side of things. We do have a year under our belt. We know how we want to be better. We know how we can communicate better. Just talking about play calling, it does give me the opportunity to mention, we do it very collaboratively. I am very, very fortunate to have coaches on my staff who have called plays before and guys who are outstanding on game day in particular in making sure that I have all of the information that I need.”

On the first thing that pops into his head when thinking about G Wyatt Teller:

“I met his wife yesterday so I have to say something nice (laughter). Tenacious. Physical football player. Oftentimes is playing through the echo of the whistle. He brings certainly a physicality to that group.”

On how infectious Teller’s attitude and toughness can be for a team:

“A lot of teams have that guy that plays a style, and if you are fortunate, you have multiple versions of that player. It is a physical football game. To be able to have guys, particularly along the offensive and defensive line like we do, who play that physical brand of football, it just plays into who we are as a team. Wyatt is certainly part of that.”

On if QB Baker Mayfield will play this week at Jacksonville and other details on play time in the first preseason game:

“Baker is not going to play in this game. I will give you that. I will let you guys know tomorrow. I will give you a rundown tomorrow.”

On confirming Mayfield will not play at Jacksonville:

“Confirmed. Will not play.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I wonder WHY Mayfield isn't playing is the thought process that most of the offense played last year without Pre-Season and they all understand their rolls and the risk of injury isn't worth the marginal amount of work they would get anyway.

If memory serves me correctly most teams play one series then shut it down. Does that mean that game 2 becomes the dress rehearsal game and for sure game 3 non of the starters will get much if any work?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
glad to see baker is not playing

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I expressed skepticism about not giving starters preseason reps in another thread. I just don't think the offense as a whole is to the point where we're in sync and don't really need preseason anymore (but I'm also NOT the coach nor am I at practices, so what do I really know?).

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
I expressed skepticism about not giving starters preseason reps in another thread. I just don't think the offense as a whole is to the point where we're in sync and don't really need preseason anymore (but I'm also NOT the coach nor am I at practices, so what do I really know?).

And to top it all off for me I truly trust these folks to get it right. In the past that wasn't so but with the bunch we have running things now I truly just sit back

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

T
Rookie
Rookie
T
OOBER,

Agree that our offense should not be considered a finished product in no need of practice, but I think that's the wrong judgement to be made. The question is whether you'd rather have a series more of live action/tape or a 0% chance of injury. Especially as injury risk is already going up with 17 games, I think you make every effort to reduce that risk unless the benefit is really significant. 1 series against Jax? Meh.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Baker has yet to play in a preseason opener #1. any of the 3 years of his career. (True or False?)

Either way I don't think it's significant.

Legend
Legend
There's Pros and Cons to either approach, and then there is the part where the coaches have one fewer game in which to evaluate the guys filling the spots not taken by starters.

The starters will get to spend all of next week running reps against another team before the next pre-season game.

It's a decent trade-off, I think. The bubble guys get just that little bit extra time to put something on film and the starters get to avoid any chance of injury for one more week.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Daily Pressor,

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions Sunday during an off day for the team.

Opening statement:

“Injury front, still awaiting test results on those guys we talked about [last night] so I do not have an update there. Just looking at the tape and like we talked about, I really was proud of the guys in how they competed. I really thought the guys gave great effort out there. We had great meetings this morning pointing out all of those things that we have to clean up. It is a bunch of little things that together they can become a big thing. Making sure that the emphasis is on cleaning up some mistakes and reminding the guys that we are very much in training camp mode so we have a lot of work left to do.”

On if last night was a relatively clean preseason game, given the limited penalties and other factors:

“I think that is fair. I think the operation was good. I like the communication with the coaches. I thought the communication between the coaches and the players was really good. On the sideline, the guys were doing a nice job of making corrections and then taking it out to the field. They were on point. Definitely things we need to clean up. The pre-snap penalties are the ones that are really inexcusable.”

On if he got into a pretty good flow with play calling last night:

“For the preseason games, we do not game plan. It is so generic and so vanilla because we are just trying to make sure the guys can play fast and not worry about scheming it up, so of speak. In terms of flow, we are trying to make sure that we are getting multiple run types and we are getting multiple pass types, making sure that you are mixing in plays so that you can evaluate as opposed to going down there with a goal of scoring a bunch of points and defending, as well.”

On if anticipates he will be able to share an injury update today:

“I do not. I will not have that information until later, but I will get that to you ASAP.”

On when did LB Mack Wilson’s shoulder injury occurred:

“It was early in the game – one of the first couple of plays and just dinged that shoulder. Honestly, not exactly sure which play it was. I can vividly remember him grabbing him. We will see how he comes out of it after the MRI.”

On if the Browns expect some injured players back to practice this week, including some of the players who sustained hamstring injuries:

“A lot of those guys are really close and I am optimistic about it, but I want to get to Tuesday to see exactly where everybody is. Use these next days, today and tomorrow, as part of that rehab, but I am optimistic that we will get some guys back.”

On T James Hudson III’s performance last night:

“James did a nice job for his first night out there. It was not perfect. It was pointed out to him that it was not perfect. (Offensive line) Coach (Bill Callahan) does a great job of being very clear with those guys of what he expects in terms of technique. James had some nice moments and some moments I know he wants back. He played both sides of the line for us. He is somebody who we are going to continue to grow. The kid wants to work, and he really wants to be coached so that is always a good thing.”

On how beneficial it is for the team to have a veteran QB like QB Case Keenum playing last night to help younger players:

“That is a big part of playing that position is how you are in the huddle, that the guys believe in what you are saying to them and that you are speaking to them clearly. There is so much that goes into playing quarterback. Case obviously has a bunch of games under his belt. There are certain plays… I will give you for instance he had a play there in the first half where he was going on a quick count, but then the receivers were not aligned properly so he had to slow it down. There is a way to do that and make sure that you talk to your linemen and understand that, ‘Hey, we are not in the quick count anymore.’ Little things like that I think all of the young players can learn from.”

On what stood out most about LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah’s performance and where Owusu-Koramoah can make improvements:

“If you watched it live and then even watching it on tape, he did make splash plays. He made good tackles along the sideline. He made a nice play on that screen. He needs to clean up his eye progression, and he understands that and the coaches are working very hard. To really play fast in this league, it is when you are not thinking. I think he is getting there. With a lot of work, I think he will get there. Overall, he understands there is plenty of work to be done.”

On if Owusu-Koramoah earned future opportunities with the first team defense during last night’s preseason game:

“All of these guys as we continue to progress through training camp, we will continue to meet as coaches and discuss those type of things. With all of our rookies, as you know, we bring them up all on different timeframes. Some guys are ready for more. Some guys are not. We will make that on a case-by-case basis.”

On how CB Greedy Williams and T Chris Hubbard are doing after playing in last night’s preseason game following season-ending injuries:

“I think Hub was in there for 17 plays and Greedy 18. That was kind of our plan going into it. It was good exposure for them. I mentioned it the other night but I will say it again, really proud of those guys to be out there Preseason Game 1 off of those injuries. They rehabbed like crazy. They did a nice job. The next step is coming back to practice, work that soreness out type things and continue to build.”

On RB Demetric Felton and if the team plans to play him at RB in the second preseason game:

“We have had some early discussions on that. I think we will see how the week goes. We know he can do both. At some point, yes, we want to get a look at him at that position, but I am not ready to say that it will be this game.”

On the Browns could potentially keep three QBs:

“I think that is discussions that are ongoing. I thought both (QB) Case (Keenum) and (QB) Kyle (Lauletta) did a nice job last night, but any question related to the roster I can tell you is just ongoing.”

On CB Greg Newsome II’s performance last night:

“He did a nice job. That one big play was a pretty good play – a pretty good throw and a pretty good catch. It is hard to cover a guy for that long. That is where rush and coverage tie together. All in all, I think Greg had a nice night. It was the first time out there for him so a lot of these guys you have to remember the butterflies, the anxiety and that first time under lights, and now, they get that out of the way and hopefully can play a little bit freer in the next one.”

On WR Davion Davis’ TD catch last night after joining the team during training camp:

“I thought it was awesome. You just look at the boundary when he scored and how excited the sideline was. DD is a great kid. Works very hard. It is funny, (wide receivers) Coach (Chad) O’Shea recently in one of their wide receiver meetings showed a highlight reel catch that Davion had in college so when the ball was in the air, I had that going through my mind. The kid came down with it and made a great play.”

On what WR Anthony Schwartz showed at the beginning in training camp prior to sustaining an injury:

“We are eager to get him back. He is progressing nicely. Optimistic on some of these guys, but we will see as we go. Anthony in particular has done a very nice job. Extremely attentive in meetings. He is going to be ready to go mentally. What we saw, the speed is real. (QB) Baker (Mayfield) and he got a lot of work together in the early portion of training camp when he was out there, which I think is really important for any battery to understand each other, if you will. We are excited to get him back out here. As it relates to hands, all of our guys are working on their craft. I think they do a great job of getting extra work in, whether it be pre-practice, post-practice, etc. A lot of our rookies are working very hard on the extra stuff that they can do to try and become better players because they are still rookies and they are going to be rookies for a pretty long time here.”

On WR JoJo Natson’s performance last night:

“JoJo did a great job. Glad you mentioned him. Another guy coming off of an injury, coming off of surgery, battling out there on the practice field and to be out there in preseason game number one and making plays on special teams and playing offense – he had some really nice reps on offense, as well – he did a good job. JoJo, you are always going to feel his speed when he is on the field. I thought he showed that a few times.”

On how the Browns will approach the practice week, including joint practices with the New York Giants on Thursday and Friday that could result in Tuesday and Wednesday practices being lighter:

“Tuesday and Wednesday will be lighter days. As we get the Giants in here, those practices will be ramped up more in terms of reps. We have a four-day block so we will be smart in the first two.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Ditto, we have Coach of Year, outstanding line coach, solid staff, and we are limiting best players injury chances....smart. Look what happened to our TE, gone in one play. These games mean nothing until Sept...I trust our team....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yesterdays pressor:

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Tuesday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. Injury front, (LB) Mack Wilson is day to day with a shoulder injury. I know you guys saw the news on (TE) Stephen Carlson – he will be out for the season. Really feel for Steve. Important part of this team. He is going rehab, I know, and come back even stronger. We will get some guys back today off of the injury list and back out on the field. Looking forward to a good couple practices here and then get the Giants in here Thursday and Friday.

“Condolences to the Schafrath family (following the passing of Browns Legend Dick Shafrath). An Ohio man – Ohio State, a Cleveland Brown. A legend. I was not fortunate enough to meet him, but again, condolences to his family.”

On the plan for WR Odell Beckham Jr. this week:

“Ramping him up appropriately. It is what we have been doing the whole time. He will be out there today and get some good work in.”

On if Beckham will participate in the joint practices with the NY Giants:

“We will kind of take things day by day.”

On which Browns players will be returning to practice today:

“I think (S) Grant (Delpit), (S) Ronnie (Harrison Jr.) and (WR) Anthony Schwartz. With everybody, we are just trying to make sure we are smart. As you know, the guys that maybe are not practicing are getting a ton of work inside. We are just going to make sure that we are smart about all of these guys.”

On if Wilson dodged a significant injury:

“All of those injuries are big deals, but yeah, I think we dodged anything long term. He is going to work hard. Hopefully, we see him sooner than later.”

On if DE Jadeveon Clowney will practice today:

“We will rest Jadeveon.”

On if Clowney is dealing with a specific injury:

“With all of these guys, they have things that are bothering them, and we are working through it.”

On CB Denzel Ward’s injury status:

“He is working really hard. Was running after this. We are getting close.”

On if the goal is for Ward and Clowney to be available for the joint practices with the NY Giants:

“Honestly, you would love to have all of those guys available today but just want to be smart about it. Specifically to those Giants practices, we will see when they are ready, if they are ready.”

On how and when the Browns will decide who plays on Sunday:

“We will wait until we get through Thursday and Friday to make the determinations.”

On if the Browns starters need to play in either of the remaining preseason games:

“Like we have talked about, we will make determinations based on every individual player as we get going in these next couple of games. That is something that is ongoing conversations.”

On the contingency plan for joint practices if it rains Thursday or Friday:

“Do not say that. Do not try to speak it into existence there (laughter). We have contingency plans, but we are hoping that does not happen.”

On if the joint practices with the NY Giants could be held at FirstEnergy Stadium if it rains:

“That is not one of the things we talked about. Obviously, we would love for it to be safe out here for both teams.”

On if the Browns potentially are being ‘overly cautious’ with the players who are being held out of practices due to injuries:

“I want to say we are being appropriately cautious. I just want to make sure we are doing the right thing by each player. As you know, we are treating each player specifically to their condition and what they need.”

On if any of the young Browns DEs have stood out with additional reps:

All of those guys played, we got some really good reps from them. They played really hard. There were a ton of passing situations where they could rush the passer and try to disrupt the quarterback. I would not single any one guy out. I would just tell you, I was really pleased with how they came off the ball and were constantly working their technique.”

On what WR Davion Davis has to do to earn a spot on the roster, given the team’s depth at WR:

“Davion has to do what every young player is doing right now – I think they have to show up, be professional about their job, be attentive in those meeting rooms and put some great work out here together with their teammates on the field, and really, that is all they can control. I think Davion is a great example of a young player who is just going to control the things that he can control.”

On his message to the team ahead of the joint practices with the NY Giants about the balance between intensity and practicing smart:

“I have talked about it with a few of the guys. I will talk with the entire team about it as we get closer to it. Really, it is not any different than when we are out here today and how we have been out here. We get some really good work in, and we take care of each other. It is because we respect each other. It is no different when the Giants come in here. They are our guests, and we want to make sure that we work, we work hard and we compete against each other, but we are always going to be taking care of each other and making sure that it is a safe, controlled environment.”

On if it seems inevitable that players from each team will be going at it or fight during the joint practices:

“I would not say that it is inevitable. I think it is incumbent upon both teams and the veterans on those teams to make sure that they understand that this is a work trip. We have two days of practice versus the Giants, we are playing them on Sunday and both teams are looking forward to getting some good work in.”

On if there are concerns that the NY Giants have shown a willingness to fight each other prior to arriving in Cleveland:

“No. Again, I am worried about the Cleveland Browns.”

On if WR Davion Davis performance on Saturday was a strong argument to have preseason games:

“I think it is a great opportunity for those guys – young players, sophomores – getting a ton of reps, and you can only get so many out there. To see all those guys get plenty of reps the other night was awesome. We are looking forward to doing that again with these guys. They need to play and then give opportunities for them to show what they can do.”

On if practicing indoors will be an option if the weather is not up to par during joint practices with the NY Giants:

“We would have to think about it.”

On the contingency plan if there is inclement weather:

“Talk to (Chief of Staff) Callie (Brownson).”

On if TE Stephen Carlson or WR Ryan Switzer will need surgery:

“Stephen Carlson? Yes. Ryan Switzer is always undergoing surgery.”

On if Switzer’s injury happened right after he scored the TD at Jacksonville:

“I am not entirely sure.”

On if Carlson’s injury has the team reconsidering the potential for a fourth TE on the roster:

“All of these spots when you look up and down the roster, there are battles for all these spots. Obviously, you take a good player like Steve out of the mix, unfortunately, it opens up opportunities for other guys to see if they can go grab that spot.”

On if the Browns needs four TEs for the offense or if he is comfortable going with three TEs:

“We will see how it all shakes out. It is our job to put the best players on the field and play to the strengths of your team. Ultimately, (Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager) Andrew (Berry) and his staff, along with the coaches, will make those determinations down the road.”

On if he has had any major deviations through training camp:

“We really have not. We have tried to plan this out. We will make minor alterations here or there if we need to see extra work in a specific area, but all in all, this is kind of how we planned it.”

On if there will be no tackling to the ground during the NY Giants joint practices:

“Correct.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ski Daily Presser.

Link Copied to Clipboard