Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
Legend
Legend
P
Even a stream would help as a feeding place for the lake fish to be gathered. One thing I have noticed is unlike other seasons, everyone seems to be having trouble catching fish from the lake. This seems quite unusual. There doesn't seem to be any one contestant that stands out in the crowd as I have noticed in some other seasons. Maybe that is yet to come but I don't see an actual favorite in the bunch.

Much like yourself, if I had to pick someone at this juncture it would be Nate based on his shelter and decision to find good hunting ground. He's certainly on the path to getting a deer.

What I try to keep in mind is that the show gets all of the raw footage, edits it and shows us what they want us to see and we have no idea of what all is actually going on. We get the picture they want us to see and other dimensions of these contestants may come out later in the series.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Last season was near Great Bear lake.

Much different water. The fish in Northwest Canada. Lake trout and pike. They will hit just about anything. This Chilko lake is close to the ocean. It has a salmon run to and from the ocean. That means migratory fish. Salmon and steelhead. Steelhead are strain of rainbow trout that go back and forth to the ocean. The sockeye salmon come in spawn and die. Steelhead spawn and return to the ocean.

The problem is they are not permanent residents in that lake.

This season you must hunt and use snares.

The grouse are easy to hunt. They will get in the spruce trees and just sit there. If they fly they will not go far.

Rabbits are prolific but hard to find in summer. Once it snows and they turn white much easier to snare.

I think this is a good way to begin a shelter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYS_D_qwkUM

There are lodges on both ends of the lake. It actually gets a run of all three pacific salmon. Sockeye(reds), Chinook(kings) and Cohos (silver). that is why there are so many bears.

I am sure they maybe times when visitors are there. People go there to fish, kayak, and see bears. Of course we will never see that.

There must be someone watching to make sure they don't interact with others in the area.

I don't know why some salmon are not spotted. They porpose, roll, and jump a lot when in the lakes. They show up around the end of August. Some early ones should be seen.

Reds are around 8 to 15lbs, Silver's get to 25lbs. Kings can get huge. I mean they can go over 100 lbs. Average is like 30lbs.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Well Nate gave it up. I thought he was fading last week.

Clay will be hard to beat.

Teresa has a great shelter and she has a good mental makeup. I just have not seen her food plan.

Biko does not seem to bright.

Colter has a chance. He came from a good background. He is doing ok. Longterm he needs a big score.

Rose will be next. She is trouble.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Isn't Clay the one who bagged the deer? Not good with names. If so he certainly has the advantage at this point.

In case you're interested, he has a youtube channel which was long before he appeared on Alone. Here's the link.....

https://www.youtube.com/user/ibprimitive/videos

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
The show has a bit of an editing tell. When a participants talk starts going heavily towards their family my girlfriend and I both go “they’re next”. Sure enough. They opened this show with Nate talking about his family…. Gone.

As long as Clay can protect his kill and can keep himself injury free he has the distinct advantage. It’s all n his head now. Can he keep his ‘family talk’ to a minimum? If so, he’ll win.

I agree about Teresa. Great shelter… to starve in.

Biko has a high BMI to fall back on. But eventually hunger will get him if he doesn’t get serious about his food plan. His shelter also has too many large openings to make it deep into the winter. If he doesn’t fix that he’ll get driven out by the cold. He seems to have a positive attitude but that’ll only take you so far.

Colter has a chance, but again food is going to come into play. He needs calories to fuel his bigger framed body. His cranberry stash wasn’t going to see him through the winter… even before the bear got to them. He needs protein and fat. He’s soon going to start realizing he’s starving to death.

You’re probably right. Rose is next.

My guess of the next three to go… maybe not in this order…
Rose
Teresa
Colter

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
I tend to agree with you. I do think there are factors however that help play on your mindset. If you are well fed and warm, your mind isn't dwelling on the negatives as much. It's certainly not a one size fits all approach or anything that works that way for everyone. But I de believe when your body is stressed due to hunger or cold it makes a difference in your mental state.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Teresa, I have yet to see her eat?

I think Colter (glasses) has a chance.

Biko (bone in nose) has fat reserves but still. Hunger will get him.

Clay, Colter, and Teresa will be the last three.

Colter and Teresa have to get a big score or they are in trouble.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Well, well, well - get this: A guy, Nate, from a town just 12 miles or so from here - Wauseon Ohio - was on the show.

A local paper did an article on him.

https://www.fcnews.org/news/31688/wauseo...eyiq5yXg0m5TuOI

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Nate had a good showing. This is a hard challenge. He tried but he could not secure any reliable food source.

I graduated with a degree in anthropology. It was not how I made a living but it has always held my interest. Especially evolutionary anthropology. How we became who we are today.

"Alone" is a interesting series. If you are a fan of the show you begin to understand how hard survival really is.

Most people look at history as what is known as "written history." That goes back roughly 5,000 years.

Bones of primitive Homo sapiens first appear 300,000 years ago in Africa, with brains as large or larger than ours.

So for a long time surviving with what is around you was how we had to live.

On "Alone" 100 days is the longest someone has survived.

Think about that. Not long ago that was life everyday you were alive.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Major props to the 5 remaining.

It takes skill, courage, and mental toughness.

Obviously Clay will be hard to beat. He has very good hunting skills. He has been able to maintain caloric intake to keep himself sharpe. He built a very good shelter. He is proactive in all that is necessary. And finally he has the right mental attitude.

Colter has a decent chance. His boat worked. I was skeptical about doing that. He comes from an area that gives him very good experience. He has a sound mental make up. He will have to get more food. No excuse for not being prepared for the cold.

Teresa. She is a tough woman. I give major credit. When she built that "raft" and laid out her plan. Immediate red flag went up in my mind. The idea was good from a passive fishing point. But her execution was faulty and very dangerous. She should have built a massive fire beforehand. Then either build a better raft. Or, swim fast and return immediately. I knew she was in serious trouble. Also never get lost. Mark your trail. Her knowledge of foraging is excellent. But she is well aware she needs fat and more calories. As the cold sinks in her lack of food intake is going to be a problem.

Biko. He seems like he has a good spirit. His shelter is decent. He does not appear to have any "food skills." At some point his fat reserves will not be enough.

Rose. I thought she was going tap out. I give her credit for overcoming her fears. That is very real. She is a tough lady. However, her skills are lacking. As true winter sits in and her lack of securing food continues. She will be overcome. That should not take away a thing from what she has accomplished.
---------------------------------------------

I once got temporarily lost in a jungle in Guatemala. Scared the crap out of me. Lesson learned.

Bears. A friend of mine has a cabin in remote Alaska. Bears are thick all over there. Every morning fresh prints and scat from the night all over the place. The hairs on your neck are at full attention every time you step outside. You are in a state of complete awareness at all times. You have knowledge of their behavior but you also know how unpredictable they are. It is an entire different feeling when are in that type of environment.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I pretty much agree with everything you said. The only thing that concerns me is the rationing plan Clay has for the meat. According to what was on the show last night, he plans on about two ounces a day which will only provide him with 200 calories.

It reminds me of the guy who smoked and stored all of that fish and still almost starved himself because he rationed his portions so small.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I don't think he can be beaten.

I think he will score more food.

Once the snow is on the ground snaring rabbits will help.

A note on the screen bottom said they could use gill nets after forty five days.

I would be ready for that day. Gill nets are very effective if you place them right.

I got my son a summer job in Alaska netting salmon. Mostly gill nets are used in rivers. In a lake that size it may be tough. It all depends on the salmon run. Fish baskets on a lake like that are a waste of time.

There should be some evidence of salmon. When spawning they jump all over the water. Something I saw I think mentioned something about some natural event blocked the river. So the salmon could not reach the lake?
I don't know for sure.

There are other critters around. Porcupine, martins. Martin are pretty easy to trap. Porcupine are easy targets if you see one. You have to look for sign. But they are slow and are common to that area.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I learn a lot about that area by reading your posts. Thanks!

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I really look forward to watching "Alone."

It fascinates me because it incorporates a lot of things.

As humans we are not all that far away from having to be in survival mode. If not we would not have made it as a species. Even though most people are far removed from that kind of life. It is in us. We can see, hear, and sense much more than we are aware of.

You can smell bears most likely before you see them. They stink. And the odor is unmistakable.

Alpine environments are the places that I am most comfortable. I lived in northern New Mexico, Wyoming and Montana. And have gone on fishing trips to Alaska, British Columbia and other parts of Canada.

I love the mountains. In fact I am planning a trip next summer to take my two grandsons to Banff and Jasper National Parks.

But the show is also about the people. It is very interesting to see how people handle what they encounter. And how over time they break down or survive.

No doubt I would have a "bear exit strategy" near the shelter. One, make a couple 8' spears. Select a tree. Build a simple ladder and have a spear in the tree. Brown bears will climb but they don't do it often. And are not likely to do it. With a spear 20' feet up. You have a chance.

Bear spray is super effective. I would rather have that than a hand gun. You can get it out quick and it can cover a large area. It will deter a bear. Their sense of smell is way better than any dog. A full blast in the face should work.

The thing about any kind of big pistol. You will have it in a holster. You may never get it out. Not many people have what it would take to kill a charging bear. First it could happen supper fast. You might not see them until it is to late. Imagine a bear charging and think about pulling a guy from a shoulder harness a landing a bullit in the right spot. Few people could do that.

1st String
1st String
Alaska is something else from what I hear. My nephew in law married my oldest niece of the two nieces I have. Was deployed in Alaska by the Army and says it is beautiful and really need to bring a lot of coats up there!

May Flowers and Spring Weather!
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Alaska is huge. It is bigger than Texas, California and Montana combined.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Nate had a good showing. This is a hard challenge. He tried but he could not secure any reliable food source.

I graduated with a degree in anthropology. It was not how I made a living but it has always held my interest. Especially evolutionary anthropology. How we became who we are today.

"Alone" is a interesting series. If you are a fan of the show you begin to understand how hard survival really is.

Most people look at history as what is known as "written history." That goes back roughly 5,000 years.

Bones of primitive Homo sapiens first appear 300,000 years ago in Africa, with brains as large or larger than ours.

So for a long time surviving with what is around you was how we had to live.

On "Alone" 100 days is the longest someone has survived.

Think about that. Not long ago that was life everyday you were alive.

Most people live in family groups, tribes, even communities even way back in history. I've never seen this show and wonder what the rules are for traveling toward civilization.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
You get five miles. You’re not to seek out other contestants or such. It’s a survival show. Not a self rescue show.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Rose is one tough cookie. Major props to her. She has true grit. Unfortunately she did not have the skills.

Being a fan of the show I often ponder how I would do things.

Big fan of the structure Teresa built for this location.

If it were I. I would do something similar unless I found something there that would offer a better start.

From this location IMO I would start with building a fireplace with stone and clay. Then build the pit house around it. Half underground with fireplace in the middle and palisade logs covered with bark. Seems like you coild keep a good temp in extreme cold.

Teresa was close to the end. Good for her that she found some fish. She better stay lucky or she will tap.

Biko is a trip. However, he has shown zero ability to secure food.

Colter has a shot but his food strategy is failing. A fish trap used like that to me is a waste of time. He has to adapt.

Clay is way in front. He is pro active. Has the right mental approach. He has maintained weight. That keeps his mental side sharp. Even though his fishing is not working. He built a great rod and reel. If they were allowed to use bait. He would have caught fish.

Some of rules I don't understand? They can not trap beaver?

It is not like beaver are endangered. They are legally trapped all over. They are fatty with a lot of meat.

I don't see anyone beating Clay.

F
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
F
Was there no new episode this week?

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

No there was not.

Next thursday.

Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Down to four.

Biko, Colter, Teresa, Clay.

Major credit to all four.

I find myself pulling a little for Biko. He is kinda of an odd ball but seems like a really caring individual.
Not a very good at figuring out how to get food. But he is hanging tough. Living off his fat storage.

Colter's boat and net got him some food. Big score for him physically and mentally. He is in this big time. I don't see him giving up.

Teresa is one tough woman. Great attitude and good knowledge base. Protein is needed. I am surprised she has not gone after rabbits with snares. In a lake like that with the wind. Fish baskets are a waste of time.

Clay is proactive. His head is in the game. His approach is really good. If something doesn't work adjust.
He has maintained his overall condition with deer score.
Once hard winter comes and the lake freezes over all of them will feel it in a big way.

Gill netting is really a tool for rivers. You learn how and where to set them in current.

In a lake especially that lake it will very hard to set the net and get results.

Outside of Colter with his boat. I do not understand why the others do not travel to find where rivers enter the lake?

Also has the ground gets covered in snow there should be game signs. Especially rabbits.

I think Teresa is the most vulnerable right now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yes, while her attitude is great and she is a very positive person, at some point a lack of protein will supersede all of that. The freeze will certainly hurt the fishing even though ice fishing may actually give them the ability to go out on the ice and fish in deeper water.

I still agree with you that I give Clay the edge right now.

The snow will certainly make it easy to track the game. Big game as well as small game. It's the best way to see where game travels.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I felt bad for Colter.

That was a bad way to go. He put all he had into it.

Mentally he was not giving in. Major credit to him.

Down to three.

Biko is hanging on but he starting to mentally give in. Once that creeps in. It is hard to push it away. He is just way to passive about finding food.

Teresa is one tough cookie. Really admire her. She has what it takes. However, she is losing the calorie war.
I am surprised that she is not setting snares.

Clay's body type is wirery. Even though he killed the deer he needs fish fat. He is still proactive. Grouse are around in that environment. With snow on the ground he should hunt more with his bow. He still has the edge for sure.

I don't think this will go much further. maybe a few more weeks 80 days 90 max.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Looking at the conditions of those remaining, it seems that Teresa has the least resources, food gathering and stores of body fat remaining on which to survive. To me it's hard to determine whether Teresa will be next due to being pulled because she won't be fit to continue, or whether Biko gives up his will to stay. Biko came in with a lot of bulk which helped give him the advantage from a weight perspective over Teresa coming into the show.

Deer is very lean meat but even at that, I agree with you that Clay has a huge advantage over the others. The snow makes it much easier for him to track game. It won't go much further. Next week is the season finale. So we'll soon find out how the dominoes fall.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This has been a very difficult challenge.

Hungry land.

Everytime there is a large view of the land. I am looking for what opportunities there might be.

I know there are both grizzly and black bears. Caribou and deer(both mule and white tail) are there. Otter, mink, lynx, martin, coyote, fox, wolverine, and wolves.

Ducks, geese, grouse, rabbits, muskrats, beaver, skunks, racoon, squirrel, porcupine should be around.

I know they are limited to 5 square miles per person.

I have read there are huge salmon runs which include kings and sockeye, and steelhead. For some natural reason (earthquake made damn?) the salmon are not there.

I don't have an answer why these people don't move more and hunt.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The opportunity to kill bears is certainly been there. The problem is they aren't allowed to kill bears. They could get the fat content they need if they were allowed. With Clay I can understand. If you have a good meat supply gathered you may consider not moving around as much in order to preserve burning calories.

But it seems he is getting ready to try and gather more food resources. I love venison myself but after eating it so many days in a row, I think I would need to expand my diet as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

It is easy for me to say what I would do. However, you don't know how you would act when you are weakened by hunger.

Grizzy bears I would not hunt with a bow. It can be done but you have to be really good and very confident.

That area has a big population of black bears. They are easier to hunt. Hunting season is in the fall before they den.

I am sure there are places to find where they are around.

Early on after building a shelter. I think I would have scouted a place to build a blind or tree stand.

Animals are predictable. They repeat behavior.

That whole area is dependent upon salmon. That is the top of the food chain. It feeds almost all these animals in some way. Even in death and decay they feed the trees.

Without salmon there is no way that the bear population would be so high.
============================================

About three years ago my son and I where in the Skeena river drainage area which is east of where Chilko Lake is.

We were after steelhead. Saw a really big black bear. He was in prime condition. A beautiful bear. Got a good look at him. We were standing on a bridge and the bear was walking next to the river. We watched him for about ten minutes.

I love British Columbia. Most of it is still pristine.
Logging is heavy in some areas.

But damn the rivers are spectacular. Wild, undamned and unpolluted.

P
Legend
Legend
P
The show has stated several times that the participants are not allowed to hunt bear. What I found so odd is that while they can not hunt bear, they are allowed to hunt Mountain Lions. I do know thay are not allowed outside of their designated areas. So it could be that none of their areas are within the range of the rivers or streams salmon would run in. I don't know. However it's pretty much common sense to try that if you are in an area you can do that. So I would have thought any contestant who had access to a river or steam capable of sustaining salmon would have certainly explored that option.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

I read about a week or so ago that something damned the Chilko river. I know that river drains the lake and empties in the ocean. It must be to far away from where they are.

I looked at the hunting license for BC. You can hunt bear, moose, etc.

However, Canada has very rigid hunting and trapping rules. It is not universal to one province. It is by areas within.
Some areas are closed completely. An example is the rivers where in some places you can fish in others it is not allowed.
So there must be some kind of local rules about bears.

IMO "Alone" should go over the rules of the area before the first episode. Before they had an intro to all the contestants that covered their backgrounds. At that time they should go over what restrictions they face.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It would certainly be helpful if they did go over the rules and restrictions before the show began. And they really didn't clarify if it was local laws that prohibited hunting bear or just some agreement with local officials. That part was left murky at best.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

Wow.

Really have to hand it to these people.

Teresa what a gal. She has an amazing spirit. I have great admiration for her. I found myself pulling for all of the last three.

Biko, man you put it all out there. No shame. Hope he is able to find a way in life and provide for his new family.

Clay, "you did it man." You earned it. You are a Alone champion. It did not come easy. I am happy for him.
IMO the experience will make him a better man. An insightful guy who really learned a lot about himself.

I am a huge fan of the show. It is the real deal. A supreme challenge of survival skills and mental tenacity.

I would have loved to try it when in my 30's to 50 +.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It actually ended in the order I expected it to once it got down to three. I knew Teresa was down to skin and bones. Nothing left in reserve to survive on. She is one tough cookie though!

Biko had fat reserves but eventually a lack of supplying any nutrients is something your fat stores simply can't provide. But his will to continue regardless was amazing.

Clay was the better survivalist. Better survival skills all the way around. Better hunting skills and it showed. Over the course of the show you get an insight to who these people are. In the end, no matter where people are from, people are people and as you get to know who they are you can relate to them in some form or fashion. It makes it very hard not to wish them well.

But in the end I think the best contestant won and was deserving of his victory.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

No question Clay proved he had the skills and mindset.

I wonder if they would be able to put together a winners challenge.

Who knows if the previous winners would do it again?

All those who have won were amazing. And some of those who did not win were incredible as well.

I like when they start to listen to there background and how they got there. Once it gets going and you learn about them that is when it really gets interesting.

I look forward to the next series.

P
Legend
Legend
P
A season of head to head competition amongst the winners of each season seems like a great idea. My thinking is they have ten contestants every season so it may be season 11 before they would have such a challenge. Then you could have the winners of the first ten seasons. And the question of whether they would all agree to it would loom large.

#gmstrong
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

This concluded season eight.

I hope it stays in the North.

Jungles are not my thing. Way to many bugs and other things to worry about.

I have no fear of the North. Jungles scare me. I been in them and was not comfortable.

North American animals and environment do not scare me. I respect the wildlife but do not fear them.

I know much more about them and their behavior.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Just watched the finale. Was pulling for Biko. I have buddies a lot like him. Gentle soul. Doesn’t want to play the game society has set up. Wants to live a simpler life. Not looking for money. Just the freedom is buys.
Good job by Clay. He was the better survivalist. He earned it.

[Linked Image]
Legend
OP Offline
Legend

The final four that included Colter were all deserving.

I was really impressed by Teresa. If she would have been more pro-active in securing protein before she got weak. She could have won. Amazing spirit.

I liked Biko. Going in with fat almost got him to the end. But he lacked hunting and fishing skills. I hope he pulls his life together for a new family. You can do what he did before and just get by. But when you have children totally dependent upon you. You have to provide.

No doubt Clay earned it. He was by far the best prepared survivalist. He had the mental game. But he backed it up with excellent survival skills.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I got picked to go to the training part where the pick who gets to go for season 3 but my father got sick and I turned it down.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Sounds like your time with the show got cut off before it started, but I'd still love to hear about your (albeit brief) interactions with getting on that show.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Everything Else... Alone the series

Link Copied to Clipboard