Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1875498 08/13/21 08:25 PM
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Hi everyone! Just heard that the Steelers traded with the Jaguars and got Joe Schobert. Do you think he has anything left? Thanks for your feedback.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
I haven't followed him much since he was here, but I don't think he's ever been a standout player. He was one of our best when he was here, but that's been a minute and we've changed a bit since then. He's kinda your standard, slightly above average coverage LB journeyman. He's not going to make a ton of tackles in the backfield, or even at the LoS. He can cover and he's rangy; athletic. You can probably expect one good year out of him, at least, but he's not going to bring back Steel Curtain memories, at all.

and, I'm not bagging on him; trying to give an honest evaluation.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We don't care about Joe Shobert anymore.

I hate your team!

A
Legend
Legend
A
Correct.

And, he's still playing in the nfl.

Legend
Legend
Steelers have acquired for themselves a quality role player who will perform for them as he performed for us.

Capable.
Professional.
Good for a dozen really great plays in a 16-17 game reg season.
Good veteran locker room presence.
Strong depth (for the next 2-3 years).

"too many notes, not enough music-"
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
We don't care about Joe Shobert anymore.

I hate your team!

Lighten up Francis.

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
I believe Schobert was one of the worst linebackers in the league last year according to PFF.

Clemdawg #1875516 08/14/21 08:15 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg
Steelers have acquired for themselves a quality role player who will perform for them as he performed for us.

Capable.
Professional.
Good for a dozen really great plays in a 16-17 game reg season.
Good veteran locker room presence.
Strong depth (for the next 2-3 years).

...and smart.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Thanks everyone - much appreciated. I don't think they mean for him to be a starter, though Spillane didn't look too good Thursday vs the Eagles.

#gmstrong
cfrs15 #1875523 08/14/21 10:11 AM
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
I believe Schobert was one of the worst linebackers in the league last year according to PFF.

Yes, and he was ranked 48th his last year with the Browns. Last year he missed 20 tackles -- 2nd worst in the NFL. To put that in perspective, Takitaki, Smith, Goodson and Wilson combined to miss 26. saywhat

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
FATE #1875524 08/14/21 10:16 AM
N
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
N
and the jags signed him away from us for a 5 yr 53 million deal. his base this year is 7.3 million

O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Scouting report: Smart player, always around the ball. Excels in zone-coverage, but don't expect him to cover TEs or RBs 1-on-1. Also is pretty good about timing his blitzes.

Decently quick, but gets swallowed up by OL on running plays. He is also a poor tackler, and he routinely leads the league in missed tackles.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Could've done much worse at this point.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I think he is on the downside now. Still playing, but not a force. My gripe with him here remains. Missed tackles, and I remember he had what we called "chase tackles," which was not a great thing for LB. If he can't step up in the hole to make his play, the tackle he may get (and sometimes misses) is with the ball past him into the second or even third level. So it is good I remember JS making so many tackles, but they were late too often, sticks were moved, and short yardage was converted. That kinda made him s face for that defense. He plays hard, smart, and can probably give them some help for this year, maybe next as well. Can't consider him an upgrade. JMO.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
...I remember he had what we called "chase tackles," which was not a great thing for LB. If he can't step up in the hole to make his play, the tackle he may get (and sometimes misses) is with the ball past him into the second or even third level. So it is good I remember JS making so many tackles, but they were late too often, sticks were moved, and short yardage was converted.
This.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
cfrs15 #1875556 08/14/21 12:12 PM
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Kirksey was playing.
I remember cracking up when, some talking head from whatever team waived Kirksey said,
" He wen't down the wrong one, and several people beat him onto the jetway as he got on the plane to leave town." ouch.

Joe Schobert, may not be a star at this point but he won't make any dumb plays. A solid pick up. frown

Sucks he went to such a team.
Keep the Edge Francis!

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Is it just me, or has nobody else been able to find what the Steelers gave up in the trade?

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S
Hi GMdawg - 6th round pick in next year's draft

#gmstrong
GMdawg #1875743 08/15/21 08:44 AM
Legend
Legend
Ham Sammich!

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That's a good deal for yinz

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: sk8termom
Hi GMdawg - 6th round pick in next year's draft
Dang... like I said, could've done way worse than Joe.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
All Pro
All Pro
Schobert is expected to start next to Bush. Possibly even get the green dot.

Big upgrade over Spillane

Steelers traded a 6th for him... and the JAGS agreed to pay for like half the 7 mill he is owed for 2021... then the Steelers converted 2 millish into signing bonus...he is only counting about 1.2 mill against Steelers cap this year.

If they cut him next year.. they will just have the remainder of the new signing bonus as dead cap.

As bargain bin shopping goes. It doesn't get much better.

HACK

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: SteelHack

Steelers traded a 6th for him... and the JAGS agreed to pay for like half the 7 mill he is owed for 2021... then the Steelers converted 2 millish into signing bonus...he is only counting about 1.2 mill against Steelers cap this year.

If they cut him next year.. they will just have the remainder of the new signing bonus as dead cap.

HACK

It's going to be fun to watch your team lose 10 games this year!

S
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
S

HACK

Thanks for the update SteelHack! I'm a bit nervous about this, but I hope it works out

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: sk8termom

HACK

Thanks for the update SteelHack! I'm a bit nervous about this, but I hope it works out

Sounds like a low-risk move.

Of course, I am *not* hoping this turns out well for you.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
Almost every team has some weaknesses in at least certain units on the field. As for the Browns I consider that the DL. Teams that aren't trying to upgrade their weakest units are doomed to fail.

Despite what you are hearing he is a decent journeyman LB'er. Nothing that's going to light it up or anything. But if he is better than they guy he is replacing it's a step in the right direction and an upgrade with a very cheap price tag.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

HACK

Contary to what you hear here now, there were a LOT of upset people on these forums when we didn't keep him.

- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
I
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I
Joe Schobert was a bit over rated as a Brown.
He only looked as good as he did cause
Of what came before him in Browns uni's
Wali Rainer Chaun Thompson Scooby Wright Andra Davis etc etc

He works hard. Gives you all he has.
But is not a game changer at all.
He had issues shedding blocks. He gets blocked
Very easily.

If Urban Meyer thought he had these traits
To lead a defense he would kept him.

jfanent #1875992 08/16/21 01:17 PM
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Echo that. Lots of people were up in arms at his departure, and now that he's gone, he magically sucks.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I never thought that Shobert 'sucks'...I have thought for years that he's a JAG. It's his smarts that are keeping him in the league...not his tackling or coverage abilities.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Echo that. Lots of people were up in arms at his departure, and now that he's gone, he magically sucks.

I fall in line with the "up in arms" about his departure. I was disappointed that towards the end of the 2019 season it became clear that Schobert wasn't even approached about a contract. Once the new regime came in, it was evident the free agency was on his horizon.

And I still think he would be an asset to the starting LB corp. Especially last year's. Yikes!

Schobert was overpaid in FA and did not have a great 2020 according to PFF. Still, he will be asset in coverage and blitzing for Pittsburgh, IMO.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think he was the best option we had at the time and that was why people were upset with the lack of a contract. It was like OK he is gone now what are you going to do?

I think the FO was doing their job and not overpaying for marginal talent, which when you look at it from a financial perspective it was the wise move. It's sort of strange to say this but these folks know what they are doing which is strange for a Browns FO. Keeping and overpaying for a player that wasn't really going to get you to where you want to go is way smarter then overpaying so you are at best marginally better IMO.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
For too many years, marginal talent described many of our best players. When they became FA, our fanbase hated to see our 'best players' leave. Often enough, their replacements were worse, as in less than marginal talent.

I love the difference between then and now.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
All Pro
All Pro
A former Steeler (Ramon Foster) said on his weekly show that Schobert was THE GUY they game planned against in his time in Cleveland, and he still made plays. Take that for what it's worth.

HACK

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
That probably says more about the talent surrounding him than anything else, but that's interesting to hear.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper

This is a very valid point. Let him for a 6th round pick.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't know if I would rely on Urban in that department. Urban also believed a 34 year old Tim Tebow was capable of competing for roster spot as a TE. A position he had never taken a snap at. We all saw how that looked.

Besides, who thinks Schobert was ever really being looked at to "lead a defense"?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Iluvmyxstripper
Joe Schobert was a bit over rated as a Brown.
He only looked as good as he did cause
Of what came before him in Browns uni's
Wali Rainer Chaun Thompson Scooby Wright Andra Davis etc etc

He works hard. Gives you all he has.
But is not a game changer at all.
He had issues shedding blocks. He gets blocked
Very easily.

Joe was never overated as a Brown, as most folks did nothing but witch about him. Joe is a solid NFL LB, he is not a hall of famer, or even an all pro most years, but he is a solid NFl vet who gets the job done. He is a improvement to what the Steelers had last year.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

I fall in line with the "up in arms" about his departure. I was disappointed that towards the end of the 2019 season it became clear that Schobert wasn't even approached about a contract. Once the new regime came in, it was evident the free agency was on his horizon.

And I still think he would be an asset to the starting LB corp. Especially last year's. Yikes!

Schobert was overpaid in FA and did not have a great 2020 according to PFF. Still, he will be asset in coverage and blitzing for Pittsburgh, IMO.

That's a fair assessment. I wanted to keep him, too, but not for the market value that he commanded. I understand the Browns not signing him, but I agree that he would definitely have been an upgrade over what we had last year.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, he's a good guy, high character, etc. But limited athletic ability. I remember most of his tackles being made after 4 or more yards. Made some nice interceptions....I'd have never paid what the Jags did. Meyers didn't want his contract or his pay for play numbers. Again, I agree with his call. I think we will pick on Joe often, no way he'll cover our TEs or WDs. Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Joe Schobert?

Link Copied to Clipboard