Legend
OP Online
Legend
M

Because Kitchens is gone.

Tackles are tackles.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Njoku is going to have and unbelievable year and have been saying so for some time.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Man, I hope he lives up to this statement in private.

How amazing would it be if, instead of every star trying to get every last penny and be the highest paid at their position, they all simply adopted the "give me 80-85%" stance. They leave a little on the plate for the next guy that has earned an extension, and so on, and so on.

The number of star-level players we'd be able to keep long term, and the amount of time we'd be able to keep them would all increase, making us a better team, bringing everyone more success, etc... and success and notoriety brings endorsements, and that is where the REAL money is.

I also think Njoku is set to have an amazing year, and I say that as one of the guys that has been most vocal and critical of him on here. It's obvious that he's been putting in the work to get better and it's paying off.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Man, I hope he lives up to this statement in private.

How amazing would it be if, instead of every star trying to get every last penny and be the highest paid at their position, they all simply adopted the "give me 80-85%" stance. They leave a little on the plate for the next guy that has earned an extension, and so on, and so on.

The number of star-level players we'd be able to keep long term, and the amount of time we'd be able to keep them would all increase, making us a better team, bringing everyone more success, etc... and success and notoriety brings endorsements, and that is where the REAL money is.

I also think Njoku is set to have an amazing year, and I say that as one of the guys that has been most vocal and critical of him on here. It's obvious that he's been putting in the work to get better and it's paying off.

Brady did that for years in NE - top QB but was always 10-12 in pay. It helps when your wife makes more money than you, but he's a smart dude and knew that taking a little less meant others would get more - or they'd be able to bring in someone they wanted.

Kudos to Chubb for doing it as well (presumably) - he could have asked for and received more.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Did Austin Hooper disappear from the face of the earth or something.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Between April and September, have the Browns had any season since 1999 where they didn't lose at least 2 players for the season?

So far it's Takk McKinley.
Stephen Carlson
Jacob Phillips. Phillips can join Kellon Winslow jr. in the 2 Fer for lost rookie years.
Unbelievable!

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Between April and September, have the Browns had any season since 1999 where they didn't lose at least 2 players for the season?

So far it's Takk McKinley.
Stephen Carlson
Jacob Phillips. Phillips can join Kellon Winslow jr. in the 2 Fer for lost rookie years.
Unbelievable!

I'm curious if any teams are able to make it through that timeframe and not lose at least two. It's like the Anti-Free Agency period where players randomly get taken away.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Greedy Williams left field with Trainer.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
Legend
Legend
Browns takeaways: Baker Mayfield knows No. 1 offense doesn't need preseason to be ready

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...nfl/8211150002/

BEREA — Baker Mayfield didn't entirely dismiss the value of the NFL's preseason, but the quarterback made it clear Friday the starting offense of the Browns doesn't need to make an appearance in an exhibition game to be ready for the real thing.

Coach Kevin Stefanski said Mayfield and the majority of Browns starters will sit out Sunday in preseason game No. 2 against the New York Giants at FirstEnergy Stadium.

Stefanski used the same approach in Saturday night's 23-13 preseason-opening win over the Jacksonville Jaguars. Quarterback Case Keenum and other backups operated the offense.

There is a good chance Stefanski will hold most of his first-string players out of the Aug. 29 preseason finale at the Atlanta Falcons, too, but he declined to say one way or another Friday. The primary reason would be the risk of a starter getting injured in a meaningless preseason game isn't worth the reward of a few series in that setting.

The bottom line is Mayfield believes the Browns will be ready for the Sept. 12 regular-season opener on the road against the defending AFC champion Kansas City Chiefs, even if he and other starters are not summoned for a single preseason snap.

“Yeah, I mean, our job is to be ready physically, mentally, and just ready to roll as soon as the season comes around,” Mayfield said. “You're supposed to be ready when you come back to camp physically and work through all the [details], iron out all the little details, and right now, we're on pace to do that.”

Stefanski and the Browns are convinced their joint practices with the Giants on Thursday and Friday at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus in Berea gave the starters invaluable work on situational football they wouldn't necessarily receive in a preseason game. Two-minute drills, red-zone trips and short-yardage scenarios aren't guaranteed within the normal flow of a game, but the coaches can simulate them in joint practices.

“Right now, we're overemphasizing communication on certain looks and adapting on the fly, taking care of the ball and no pre-snap penalties. That's the biggest thing going in,” Mayfield said. “[The key to] knocking the rust off the early weeks of the regular season is don't beat yourself. That's the important part, and we're focusing on that right now.”

In other words, this strategy is all about keeping frontline players healthy for as long as possible and peaking at the right time.

Those are among the reasons Stefanski's preseason plan makes sense.

Of course, there are other huge factors.

One, preseason games didn't exist last year because of the pandemic, so many coaches view them differently now.

Two, teams are playing three preseason games this summer instead of four and gearing up for 17 regular-season games instead of 16 for the first time in league history, so it's only logical to adopt a different approach.

Three, the Browns are preparing for another playoff run, meaning they could play as many as 21 real games.

Four, the Browns were blown out 38-6 by Baltimore in Week 1 last season, but the Browns' coaching staff was new while the Ravens were the epitome of continuity — and Mayfield and Co. still went on to go 11-5 and win a playoff game before being eliminated by the Chiefs.

The continuity Mayfield finally has with Stefanski and the playbook adds a layer of comfort. Mayfield said going through his progressions in the same system for the second consecutive year — a first in his NFL career — feels “second nature” to him. The personnel is nearly identical, too, with all of the significant skill position players back and the starting offensive line from a year ago intact.

Mayfield's communication with teammates has reached a higher level as a result.

“That makes life a whole lot easier right now,” Mayfield said. “We're trying things that are pretty challenging offensively — how we want to run routes, certain looks and formationally how we're setting things up. So we're trying to challenge ourselves each practice. Our guys are handling it correctly, and we're just getting better.”

Better enough to be fully prepared for Week 1? In Mayfield's mind, there is no doubt.

Baker Mayfield and Odell Beckham Jr. are working to get on the same page
Perhaps the greatest challenge Mayfield faces this year is developing the chemistry with wide receiver Odell Beckham Jr. that both players seek.

Beckham has yet to participate in 11-on-11 drills in this training camp because the Browns are easing him back into the action while he returns from the torn anterior cruciate ligament he suffered in his left knee Oct. 25 against the Cincinnati Bengals.

“We get routes on air, and during the special teams breaks, we're getting reps pretty much every day that he's running," Mayfield said. "And we're trying to save his legs for the real thing, but we're getting plenty of reps right now.”

Mayfield and Beckham worked one-on one during at least two periods in Friday's practice.

Baker Mayfield will always carry a chip on his shoulder
Mayfield's background as a two-time college walk-on who ascended to a Heisman Trophy winner at the University of Oklahoma and the No. 1 overall pick in the 2018 NFL Draft is well known.

The underdog story is ongoing, though, because Mayfield still has plenty of naysayers, including those who say he's not worthy of the contract extension the Browns are eventually expected to give him.

“I don’t care what the doubters say," Mayfield said. "You have to have self-confidence. You have to trust the people in your corner. It goes along with setting expectations. You set your own. You live up to that standard. You have to hold yourself accountable to that every day. That’s the key to it. If you get caught up on the outside and listen to the B.S., then I’d probably be done. So I just focus on me and get better every day.”

Mayfield admitted he is aware of criticism to a certain extent, saying, "if you’re paying attention to it that much, you’re not doing your job.”

"I’m able to internalize that and realize I have to have an edge every single day to be the best version of me for these guys and be a leader of this franchise," he added, "but at the same time, do my job first.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
"Fight" after practice...

CLEVELAND (AP) — The Giants planned to hit some golf balls as a team bonding exercise Friday night.

They didn't invite the Browns.

Tempers flared during the second joint practice between the teams, with Browns cornerback Troy Hill and Giants wide receiver Sterling Shepard squaring off and throwing punches at each other well after the session ended.

Hill and Shepard were part of a group of players mingling in the middle of the two practice fields following the tense, two-hour workout in humid weather conditions when they suddenly began swinging.

Shepard, who ducked under a wild punch from Hill, then pulled off his shirt as he walked away to do an interview with New York media members. He didn't mention the incident with Hill before boarding one of the team buses waiting nearby.

“That is news to me. Thank you for breaking that to me,” said Browns coach Kevin Stefanski, who was unaware of the skirmish when he met with reporters. "I'll review the tape.”

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/browns-giants-testy-joint-practice-222856930.html

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I think the starters should at least get in a couple of series Sunday...Geez...

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I think the starters should at least get in a couple of series Sunday...Geez...

I hear you I mean that is the way it's done right? Still in all I am all in with what Ski does I truly believe in the man, but I hear ya. I thought game 2 would become the game three under the 4 game format Ski has other ideas he is laser focused on trying to get to the season as healthy as possible and he feels they are getting the work in so who knows?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
L
Legend
Legend
L
I think not getting any reps live will bite us out of the gate...if TB and KC can find reps for their starters we should be able to, KC is just that much ahead of us now. I hate this approach, we've done and won nothing that gives us this kind of time off.. Play your team together in a game situation, its invaluable.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

It's called culture.
I've been talking about it for years and years.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
T
Legend
Legend
T
Pwaaa! this is crazy. In the 1992 film Unforgiven. the Character Lil Bill, played by Gene Hackman, see... the harlots prostitutes had put out(spoiler alert rofl ) a hit on the cowboy because the cowboy had cut one of their faces. and Lil Bill had found out and was accusing the Prostitutes of meeting with the characters who had come to town to fulfill the hit. and the younger prostitute argued they'd only come to town for the, well sex, and the Madamme said, ya they were "innocent", (meaning the men were innocent of coming to town to perform the hit.) and then the Lil Bill character played by Gene Hackman, said, Innocent!, Innocent of what.

80 to 85%? Percent of what!
folks, never try to explain a point between 2:00 and 4:45 am.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Pwaaa! this is crazy. In the 1992 film Unforgiven. the Character Lil Bill, played by Gene Hackman, see... the harlots prostitutes had put out(spoiler alert rofl ) a hit on the cowboy because the cowboy had cut one of their faces. and Lil Bill had found out and was accusing the Prostitutes of meeting with the characters who had come to town to fulfill the hit. and the younger prostitute argued they'd only come to town for the, well sex, and the Madamme said, ya they were "innocent", (meaning the men were innocent of coming to town to perform the hit.) and then the Lil Bill character played by Gene Hackman, said, Innocent!, Innocent of what.

80 to 85%? Percent of what!
folks, never try to explain a point between 2:00 and 4:45 am.

Honestly Throw I avoid you and try not to read much of what you write or say, I do however from time to time adventure into what you say or think I suppose some people might call it that (thinking that is), but I always find myself waving to you up in the clouds.

This has to be one of your epic sky posts, but how would I know?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
Is it not a brilliantly reasoned NFL form of "Paying it forward"? The flip side of it is disruptive adversarial negotiations, often in the media, hard feelings and such to make a contract for every last cent that down the road guarantees a cap casualty cut or hamstringing the roster as you play your favorites. I realize it's business, but I also observe there is god and smart business and also another kind lacking longer views.

One side can still send a generous message and the other side can be gracious as it is reasonable. Neither has to set aside its priorities as concessions. wink

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
M
Legend
Legend
M
I get that it's a brutal business and the average career is something like 4 years or less.

If you are a fringe player, backup, middle of the road starter likely to get cut at the first sign of non-production or a serious injury.... I get that you need to get every $1 you can out of each negotiation. Obviously those guys conversely have very little leverage.

As a star of the league - you are going to get a contract that pays you a signing bonus that'll set you up for life. Just me - but at that point there is so much more to life than being the top paid guy at my position ... and really close to the top of my list would be - playing for a team that gives me an outstanding chance to win a Super Bowl. It's so simple. Earn $100M in my career and no Super Bowl - or $80M and a SB (or more). Absolutely no brainer. Just me maybe.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
[quote=mgh888]I get that it's a brutal business and the average career is something like 4 years or less.

If you are a fringe player, backup, middle of the road starter likely to get cut at the first sign of non-production or a serious injury.... I get that you need to get every $1 you can out of each negotiation. Obviously those guys conversely have very little leverage.

As a star of the league - you are going to get a contract that pays you a signing bonus that'll set you up for life. Just me - but at that point there is so much more to life than being the top paid guy at my position ... and really close to the top of my list would be - playing for a team that gives me an outstanding chance to win a Super Bowl. It's so simple. Earn $100M in my career and no Super Bowl - or $80M and a SB (or more). Absolutely no brainer. Just me maybe. [/quote

I agree with you but the best athletes are usually the most competitive and unfortunately being paid the most is also a win for them. There entire life they have spent relentlessly working to be the best. I think they want the most $$$ because in their mind it shows they are best.

I know in baseball there have been contracts signed and before an inning is played they want to renegotiate because someone else signed for more. Not sure my memory is prefect but one I remember doing that was Ricky Henderson. Could be wrong but pretty sure I remember it.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
I get that it's a brutal business and the average career is something like 4 years or less.

As a star of the league - you are going to get a contract that pays you a signing bonus that'll set you up for life. Just me - but at that point there is so much more to life than being the top paid guy at my position ... and really close to the top of my list would be - playing for a team that gives me an outstanding chance to win a Super Bowl. It's so simple. Earn $100M in my career and no Super Bowl - or $80M and a SB (or more). Absolutely no brainer. Just me maybe.

All of that sounds good, and I might even agree to some degree, but the reality is people are people and how much you make doesn't change that. Most people want to make more if they can.

For some people, amassing the wealth is more important than the actual money. That becomes the job, or hobby. Warren Buffett would be a good example. He is worth more than you could count yet he lives a rather modest lifestyle, but he is a little weird when it comes to that. He might not be the best example.

He is about as extreme as it gets.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

I think a lot of people have an issue separating the fact that the NFL is a business just like any other business. They see it more as a sport and their passion. I understand that and to some extent I feel very much the same way.

But when it comes to contracts and pay I have no trouble separating between the two. I mean it's wonderful when and if a star player signs a favorable deal for your team. But at the same time, can you really blame an employee who won't settle for less than what the market will pay for his services?

A player can be injured on each and every play. That can end their career. They survive from snap to snap. As with most careers that place you in the spotlight, you only have your 15 minutes of fame. Then the party is over.

What some fans seem to be expecting is that a player put their loyalty into their employers and us as fans rather than build wealth for their future and the future of their family. A legacy if you will.

Many of these players come from a past of poverty. Their single most driving force is to never be poor again. They never want to see their children be poor. I'm grateful to the players willing to extend their contracts in a team friendly manner. But far be it from me to find fault with those wishing to maximize their income during the limited time they have a career that will insure the financial stability for the future of their families.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I think not getting any reps live will bite us out of the gate.

With 22 days, to go before kickoff; what is the best way to get the starters prepared to overcome adversity in the opener?
Asking for a friend.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend

I hope Njoku stays with Cleveland.

He has matured as a player and person.

I have always felt that if he could learn to block good enough to stay on the field. That he is uncoverable on seam routes and red zone.

He can go up and get balls db's can not.

I think it is terrific that he is pressuring his agent to get a deal here.

I have to focus on this season.

There are a bunch of players I want to remain knowing all can not stay.

I would hate losing Jarvis. He brings so much to a team besides numbers.

Let's just make this year great.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I am fine with the starters not playing all preseason

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
I think not getting any reps live will bite us out of the gate.

With 22 days, to go before kickoff; what is the best way to get the starters prepared to overcome adversity in the opener?
Asking for a friend.

Please ask your friend what playing in preseason games has to do with overcoming adversity?

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
Browns quick hits: Rookie Richard LeCounte III rising amid injuries at safety

https://www.beaconjournal.com/story/spor...son/8209237002/

BEREA — The Browns had their hands full with the New York Giants on Friday.

After the Browns clearly got the best of the Giants in the first joint practice between the two teams Thursday, the Giants struck back in the second session at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Although the Browns had a slight edge in one-on-one drills and seven-on-seven periods, the Giants closed the gap in 11-on-11 action.

They'll meet again Sunday in preseason game No. 2 at FirstEnergy Stadium, though coach Kevin Stefanski said quarterback Baker Mayfield and the majority of Browns starters won't play.

Even though the Giants represented themselves well Friday, there were a couple of dominant stretches by the Browns.

The first one happened when Mayfield and backup quarterback Case Keenum caught fire in one-on-one drills in the red zone, completing nine consecutive touchdown passes.

The other sequence unfolded with the following three consecutive plays in a seven-on-seven period in the red zone:

1. Rookie safety Richard LeCounte III intercepted a pass from backup quarterback Mike Glennon in the back of the end zone.

2. Rookie cornerback Greg Newsome II nearly had a pick-six against Glennon, but the first-round draft pick from Northwestern University couldn't hang onto the ball.

3. Safety Ronnie Harrison broke up a pass starting quarterback Daniel Jones intended for wide receiver C.J. Board in the end zone and then intercepted the ball off the deflection.

A fifth-round pick from the University of Georgia, LeCounte had one interception and nearly another in Saturday night's 23-13 preseason-opening win over the Jacksonville Jaguars.

LeCounte's rise is timely because Grant Delpit just aggravated his right hamstring injury Wednesday. Delpit and fellow safety Sheldrick Redwine (ankle) have been sidelined for most of training camp.

John Johnson III is an undisputed starter. Harrison is the favorite to start opposite him.

Defensive coordinator Joe Woods wants to use Johnson, Harrison and Delpit at the same time in a dime package, but perhaps LeCounte can work his way into Delpit's role if Delpit continues to have hamstring issues while attempting to come back from the ruptured Achilles tendon he suffered a year ago.

It's early, but LeCounte is worth keeping an eye on Sunday against the Giants and beyond.

New York Giants' Jabrill Peppers, Cleveland Browns' Baker Mayfield won't stop talking trash
When Jabrill Peppers played safety for the Browns, he used to talk trash with Mayfield in practice.

The Browns traded Peppers to the Giants in 2019 as part of the deal to acquire receiver Odell Beckham Jr., so the jawing between Peppers and Mayfield resumed this week.

Peppers said Thursday he tells Mayfield he's too short to see over the linemen.

"I mean, if I can’t see over the line, I know he can’t see," Mayfield said. "Lil’ Pep."

Peppers also said Thursday that Mayfield tells him he's going to complete 80% of his passes against the defense. Peppers loudly yelled at Mayfield on the field Friday, disputing the 80% claim and asking what Mayfield had done against the Giants lately.

“Jabrill and I have been going back and forth since 2016, when I first met him," Mayfield said. "He’s just one of those guys, a high-energy guy, and you love competing against people like that. You’re always going to hear where he’s at, but you got to let him know likewise, and so it’s fun competing against somebody you had a relationship with.”

Peppers isn't the only Giants player who's friendly with Mayfield. Running back Saquon Barkley is close with the quarterback, too. Mayfield and Barkley bet on which one of them would win NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year for the 2018 season. Jewelry was at stake. Barkley narrowly prevailed over Mayfield in the voting.

“Saquon’s like my little brother. I treat him like my son, pat him on he head and tell him good job," Mayfield said. "No, he’s a great guy. We spent time training together before the [2018] draft and just stayed in contact. A good guy who is extremely competitive, so we’re always talking trash back and forth to each other. We made that rookie of the year bet, and he has that necklace, so he’s got the notch over me right now."

Mayfield also said he and Jones are in a good place despite GQ Magazine quoting Mayfield in 2019 saying he couldn't believe the Giants drafted the quarterback sixth overall that year.

"We’re good. We’re great," Mayfield said. "[Jones] came down to Austin, [Texas], when [former Browns quarterback] Colt [McCoy] was with the Giants two years ago. We all hung out. We’re good. We talked through that."

Cody Parkey has strong showing in Cleveland Browns kicking battle
In a team field-goal period, incumbent Browns kicker Cody Parkey went 5-for-5 (41, 43, 45, 47 and 51 yards).

Chase McLaughlin went 4-for-5, missing wide right from 51 yards.

The competition has been about even, and a tie would likely favor Parkey based on his experience.

Cleveland Browns No. 2 offense has sloppy stretches
Keenum was involved with a few turnovers.

Running back D'Ernest Johnson fumbled a handoff from him in an 11-on-11 period.

Later, Keenum and Javon Patterson had a fumble as a result of a poor quarterback-center exchange.

Shortly after cornerback Rodarius Williams dropped a would-be interception off Keenum over the middle, Keenum's deep pass intended for rookie running back/receiver Demetric Felton bounced off linebacker Devante Downs and was intercepted by safety Quincy Wilson.

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

For some people, amassing the wealth is more important than the actual money.

I get that - and I get that the Alpha Male that is is part of the make of these elite athletes might apply to how they feel about money and simply want more, more, more. But money doesn't buy happiness. And if you have $100M and you are or are not happy - then having $110M isn't going to do it for you. Tom Brady is going to go down in history (probably) as the GOAT not because of the contract he signed - he's going to be the GOAT because of the number of SB rings he has. Jack Nicklaus isn't the best golfer ever because of how much money he earned (significantly less than Tiger) but because he won more majors than anyone. As far as legacy and being at the pinnacle of your sport and how you will go down in history - nothing but nothing counts more than championships.

I'm not saying it's for everyone - but maybe like Warren - elite stars can live with more money than they can (sensibly) spend and not need to squeeze every $1 out of the deal, or stay with a team for less and win a SB... If they choose to. I know for me it would be an easy choice.

Last edited by mgh888; 08/21/21 07:18 PM.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: mgh888

All of that sounds good, and I might even agree to some degree, but the reality is people are people and how much you make doesn't change that. Most people want to make more if they can.

For some people, amassing the wealth is more important than the actual money. That becomes the job, or hobby. Warren Buffett would be a good example. He is worth more than you could count yet he lives a rather modest lifestyle, but he is a little weird when it comes to that. He might not be the best example.

He is about as extreme as it gets.

LOL It's about "he who dies with the most toys wins"

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask

There is one question to answer in that. Last year nobody played preseason games, so all starters were starting from the same starting point. The question is how will starters who didn't play in preseason do against starters who have?

The starting points may not be the same.

I am with you, I am fine with them not playing. We will find out if that was smart or not.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Ive never been a fan of the starters not playing in any pre-season game. Even if just for one series. I think (without any first hand experience) that the entire game-prep and game-time is a routine that the team will get into...so why not practice that too?

Yes..we did not have that opportunity last year...but neither did any other team.

Also, it has been a full season since we last played in front of a crowd. I don't want to walk in to a raucous KC stadium having not yet played football in that environment.

B
Legend
Legend
B
I understand that could be a concern.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Actually many college stadiums hold more fans than NFL stadiums. Crowds are nothing new to any of these guys. Playing on opposing fields are nothing new to any of these guys. As far as crowd size and fan noise, nothing about preseason compares to a regular season game by any stretch.

I see it this way. They prepare people in training camp to execute our O and our D. In both of these cases they train them on plays that will be called against every opponent we play. The plays called will be adjusted according to the opponent, but that's our playbook regardless.

Different teams have different strengths and weaknesses. As such your game plan changes from week to week accordingly. A few series against a single team doesn't do anything to prepare you for the actual game time atmosphere on intensity of the regular season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: ScottPlayersFacemask

There is one question to answer in that. Last year nobody played preseason games, so all starters were starting from the same starting point. The question is how will starters who didn't play in preseason do against starters who have?

The starting points may not be the same.

I am with you, I am fine with them not playing. We will find out if that was smart or not.

Peen,
To answer your question. imo - there won’t be a difference.

These guys are getting reps after reps - through offseason work training together, film study, etc.

Baker had a group in Texas working. My mind escapes me, but another line group trained in FL together. These guys had practices, they did joint practices (Giants) together that seemed intense.

Going in for a couple series against vanilla O’s and D’s is pretty meaningless.

How many interviews have your ever heard where a player says - thankfully I or the O starters/D starters played in the pre-season or we wouldn’t of made it this far.

Or the opposite…well, we would’ve made the playoffs, but coach screwed up by not playing us in the pre-season.

I understand those are silly statements, but that’s my basic view of them playing.

Heck need another? Did you see Justin Fields get popped yesterday?

So I could have our star QB “possibly” get rocked in a meaningless game …. he’s going to get enough wear and tear from the regular season. We don’t need another reason to be scrambling for players before the season even starts.

People like numbers

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Actually many college stadiums hold more fans than NFL stadiums. Crowds are nothing new to any of these guys. Playing on opposing fields are nothing new to any of these guys. As far as crowd size and fan noise, nothing about preseason compares to a regular season game by any stretch

Pit, I agree.

Arrowhead Stadium - 76,416

These guys have played in major college games.
Baker - Red River Classic, Ohio State twice home/away….heck OSU holds 104, 944.
Chubb, OBJ, Landry, Wills, etc all playing in the SEC.
This isn’t even counting NFL time.

F
Legend
Legend
F
Even when starters do play, the scheme is very basic and simple, it's ultimately just a glorified practice in the stadium with more risk than reward.

We don't have to agree with each other, to respect each others opinion.
O
Legend
Legend
O
My guess as to Mahommes playing is his improvisational style of play. The new guys around him need to get used to that (not the least of which his overhauled Oline). Maybe that's the reasoning behind it (can't truly replicate those reps in practice?).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

The question of playing starters?

If this was last year and everyone was learning a new system it would be different.

We are returning an entire intact offense playing in the same system. Playing a few series against the Falcons where you would still not show your hand. IMO would accomplish nothing. The Falcons are not the Chiefs. We would not be playing against their defensive starters.

Nothing to prove seeing Odell, Jarvis, Chubb etc.

Maybe put some defensive guys out there. But not Myles, Ward or Clowney.

I believe we will be completely prepared to play the Chiefs weither we win or lose.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Really, most NFL players have been playing football for at least 6 yrs- 4 high school, at least 2 college, then the NFL- have you been to BIG TIME HS football or college, bad environment- like Michigan vs OS, or LSU vs Ala, or Catholic league games in Cleveland....the boys have played MANY games in 'hostile environments... JMHO, but I'm right....GO Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Training Camp Continued...

Link Copied to Clipboard