Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

What's a Alexander Hollins???????????

A trap for the grammar police?

Quoted for ironic hilariousness.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
Predicting the first 5 cuts for the Browns after the preseason opener

https://brownswire.usatoday.com/lists/pr...eseason-opener/

The Cleveland Browns played well in their preseason opener with very few glaring concerns presenting themselves. The team turning the corner in 2020 and now being expected to win is a big change. Last night, the Browns second and third teams outplayed the Jacksonville Jaguars first and second teams.

That role reversal may take some time to get used to.

Unfortunately for five current Browns players, their hopes of making the team’s initial 53-man roster will come to an end soon. While the first five cuts are not due until Tuesday, it is possible Cleveland will make their decisions sooner rather than later.

Of note, the first two cuts (each consisting of five players for ten total) may not be only due to skill level. Instead, injuries around the team could lead the Browns to keep a less talented player at a position that they need depth to make it through camp and the next two preseason games with.

Cleveland will also try to keep players around until the final cut down that they hope to get on their practice squad.

Here are some names that could be a part of the first five cuts:

RB Corey Taylor
Just added to the roster due to a roster spot opening up, Corey Taylor could be one of the first players cut. The Browns have a quality depth at the position with all of them mostly healthy.

The team may have some interest in seeing more of Taylor before letting him go which could put John Kelly’s roster spot in danger.

TE Connor Davis
A huge, 6’8″ player, Connor Davis is old for a new player at the age of 26 years old. He did have one catch for six yards in the opener but there isn’t a lot of reasons for him to stick around much longer at this point.

WR Ryan Switzer
This might be a tough one to see given everything Ryan Switzer’s family has been through this offseason and with his touchdown Saturday night. It is possible that Cleveland respects Switzer enough as a veteran to give him a chance to catch on somewhere else instead of sticking around on a team where he likely won’t make the team.

For his career, Switzer has 321 yards receiving while also showing some qualities as a returner. Another team could be interested in bringing him in for the final few weeks of training camp to see if he can help out in both areas.

OL Cordel Iwuagwu
Offensive and defensive linemen often are the last to go as teams start to trim their rosters but the Browns injuries in the secondary could change that for the team.

Cleveland is very, very deep on the offensive line and could keep 9 or 10 on their final roster, if everyone is healthy. Players like Cordel Iwuagwu are there for help in camp but are not long for the team.

CB Robert Jackson
Forced to play in 2020, Robert Jackson showed he wasn’t ready to contribute at the NFL level. Already 27, Cleveland may not see a chance for improvement out of Jackson and decide to let him go earlier instead of later during this process.

Kiondre Thomas could also be on the early chopping block but the team may want to see a little more from the rookie at this point.

Others Considered
With a 90 man roster, there are a lot of players that could be considered for this early but. A few names that could be at risk sooner than expected but unlikely now:

Malik McDowell – The exciting comeback story got stonewalled by an injury and couldn’t play in the first week of preseason. Has he shown enough to keep his comeback going? Most likely but something to keep an eye on.
Damion Square – Another interior defensive line player, Square was brought in via free agency but is one of the oldest players on the roster at this point. If he won’t make the final roster, the Browns could respect him enough to let him go early.
Alexander Hollins – The Browns just have a lot of talented receivers at this point and Davion Davis played well after just arriving in Cleveland.
Johnny Stanton – The fullback was given 6 carries on Saturday night and showed some quality ability with the ball in his hands. Unless Andy Janovich gets injured, Stanton is not making the roster. Perhaps another team liked what they saw last night?
Colby Gossett, Javon Patterson – Other names on the great Cleveland offensive line.
Sheldrick Redwine – Due to injuries, unlikely to be cut this time but will certainly be a name to watch.
Takk McKinley – Only noted here because there is very little known about his situation. If the team knows something signficant that is not known publicly, they may move on.
It is important to note that other teams could have interest in any number of the Cleveland players and a trade of a player, noted above or not noted, could open up a roster spot.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
well, we just lost Carlson for the season, so that's one roster spot there... we only need to make four cuts.

That should be pretty easy, actually.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

P
Legend
Legend
P
A rough time of the year for NFL players and coaches.

In past years we have seen some marginal players cut that caused some fans to act as though they were mistakes. We are now at the point we will have to cut some players who are actually good players because the talent level has grown so much.

Our situation has reversed itself. We used to be waiting for other teams to make these cuts hoping we could upgrade our roster. Now other teams are waiting to see who we cut in hopes to upgrade their rosters. What a nice predicament to be in.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
There's potential to work some trades here, too. A needy team may be willing to part with a 6th or 7th to be sure they get a guy, especially if they're in the middle of the pack on the waiver list.

Browns is the Browns

O
Legend
Legend
O
Was it this year that they juggled the max roster limits over the course of training camp? They pushed the majority of cutdowns to the end.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
I'm so used to having a lot of marginal talent on the roster I hadn't actually considered that option but you're right.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
I'm so used to having a lot of marginal talent on the roster I hadn't actually considered that option but you're right.

I am sure Berry is working the phones, if we come away with a few late round picks I would be pleased. Perhaps Berry could even land another DPJ.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Maybe after watching Billings we should be looking to make some trades for the DL. Upgrades could certainly be used in that department. If we could get some late round picks in exchange for areas we have depth in exchange for making trades in a department we have a weakness that would certainly be a benefit.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
well, we just lost Carlson for the season, so that's one roster spot there... we only need to make four cuts.

Right now the 4th tight end spot is wide open, but the Browns do want to fill it.

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GMdawg

Right now the 4th tight end spot is wide open, but the Browns do want to fill it.
Tebow may soon be available...

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Anyone have info on this TE that played in the fourth Quarter . Davis ? Caught my eye .

Not here, but he is a big dude.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
There's potential to work some trades here, too. A needy team may be willing to part with a 6th or 7th to be sure they get a guy, especially if they're in the middle of the pack on the waiver list.

I think the potential for a 1st rounder and a cornerback from the 49ers for Hollywoo--
Now, I'm going to duck and run for cover.
Because I don't even like the idea myself, but think it was a thought at least yesterday.

A 6th or 7th round pick isn't worth the udfa's they paid extra for the last two drafts.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
a 6th or a 7th is better than getting nothing when you release a guy at cutdowns.

We could probably get a 4th fairly easily for Higgins, but he's worth more to us than that, and he probably isn't worth more than a 4th to another team.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
Is Tebow just a coach in the huddle.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Is Tebow just a coach in the huddle.

No, he is Urban's next door neighbor. Literally.
That's how he got signed.

Browns is the Browns

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

This year, when people scream, "Why did we cut him!!", they will probably have a legit argument.

Excellent. I'm just sorry this didn't happen till my early 60's

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
T
Legend
Legend
T
Whoa, I literally moreso think it's how I thought, learning that.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Before an NFL college draft, people don't just have one mock draft, they change things up.
Change things up so that the Browns decide to keep maximum offensive linemen instead of minimum, 10 or 11 instead of 8.

And In this one, as long as we're being crazy include a must have that, say a Jamarcus Bradley makes the final roster.
What would it mean.
Probably stashing some players on IR, only keeping 3 tight ends, and waiving some known names.

addition: Look I'm not saying that 2 years from now, Anthony Schwartz' speed won't come in handy, (maybe I've been saying it), but in the next 60 days, the next 100 days, ( the guy has barely practiced) wouldn't it be great if they could redshirt him to save the roster spot.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I just remembered. When I was thinking about this in the middle of the in night.
If it comes down to Drew Forbes or D'Ernest Johnson, then it comes down to Forbes doesn't return kicks. But!
Can they trust other Kick returners?
DPJ, ... too important to risk injury?
Schwartz.. can't catch a cold, reliably?
Felton? Is Felton as the only return option putting too much stock, in?

Well Schwartz and Felton are both rookies.

Can Schwartz' inability to catch, force them to keep a D'Ernest type over an OL type, Johnson was a better returner than DPJ in limited action in 2020 imo.
Would the Browns lose a good OL on a Schwartz' inability to catch even in a return game forcing them to keep another returner, on neeeed. So much seems to happen for need it's remarkable. frown

O
Legend
Legend
O
Schwartz can't catch...?

???

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
It’s his ‘thing’. Just let him run with it and move on.
He’s been educated that his nonsense is just that. He refuses to budge his stance.
Next.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Schwartz can't catch...?

???

Well, this is straight from the mouth of the man that said Chubb couldn't run his way out of a wet paper bag!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Legend
Legend
T
Schwartz can catch? Where is it?

Legend
Legend

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
I think we can write that guy off. He was a bit of head case in Atlanta.

Maybe there is something, so we'll see, but I am not hopeful at this point.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'd agree, unfortunately.
I think the chances of him taking a snap for us are pretty close to zero.
I'd love to see him grow a set and prove me wrong, but I think he's just not dealing well with Clowney being here and bumping him to 3rd DE; stealing any spotlight there may have been for him.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
I'd agree, unfortunately.
I think the chances of him taking a snap for us are pretty close to zero.
I'd love to see him grow a set and prove me wrong, but I think he's just not dealing well with Clowney being here and bumping him to 3rd DE; stealing any spotlight there may have been for him.

I don't know Purple, that seems pretty harsh. I think he has an issue (I have no proof so I won't put it out there) that is contributing to his absence that he hopefully can beat.

#gmstrong
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
I think our FO is - in their planning minds - assuming that he won't be a part of the team for this season. JMO

T
Legend
Legend
T
24 days to get the starters ready to overcome adversity. Time to take the Kid gloves off yet?

L
Legend
Legend
L
I still think we need upgrades on dline and LB, and a replacement for delpit, I don't think he's going to make it. The whole Takk thing is bizzare. I do think our secondary as a whole is alot better, I think we are going to miss Richardson Immensely. I wouldn't rule out a trade for dline tbh, depends if billings still looks like he spent the offseason eating himself to death or if he's just taking it easy till it matters. I wouldn't mind bringing in Boston or Swearinger for safety depth ala Karl Joseph. Depth in the secondary really bit us last year when compounded with our really bad LB core. We really didn't address the LB core. I know people are high on Walker, but if anyone has actually watched him play, he's not that big of an upgrade from an ability standpoint. Hopefully hes that glue guy and thats all we need with everyone else taking a step forward.

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
I find a little disturbing, whenever I read or hear the repeated comments (around) similar to.

If Lauletta plays well the Browns should just make him #2 and move on from Case Keenum to save hundred dollar bills.

Keenum won 11 games once in the NFL iirc: either way he's experienced and solid and 11 wins is not just something to brush off.

I hope that a continued focus on pay structure of contracts doesn't derail enjoyment of the 2021 season worrying about the future because they're set to play really well and next offseason isn't next offseason until it arrives.

Legend
Legend

Looking at the roster from a "Win Now" view and what the Browns may keep at each position group
O-Line=8
TE-3/4
WR-5
RB-4
FB-1
QB-2
Total=23 or 24

DT-4
DE-5
LB-6/7
CB-5
S-5
Total=25 or 26

ST-3
Overall Total=53

O-line Part 1
AB may not have much choice but to either pay Teller now or trade him. It's almost impossible to keep both Dunn or Forbes and Hudson while still keeping Hubbard who's valuable as a backup unless they move on from Harris.

Part 2
1. J. Conklin
2. W. Teller
3. JC Tretter
4. J. Bitonio
5. J. Wills
6. C. Hubbard (Swing OT)
7. Harris (Back Up Center)
8. Dunn ( Back Up Guard)
Try to get Hudson and Senat on the the PS.

TE-Group
With the new offense I believe the Browns are better off going with 3 tight ends this year after losing Carlson.
1. A. Hooper
2. D. Njoku
3. H. Bryant
That also gives them and extra spot on the roster.

WR-Group Use the extra spot from the TE group to keep 6 receivers
1. J. Landry
2. OBJ
3. DPJ
4. R. Higgins
5. K, Hodge
6. A. Schwartz
Try like crazy to get D. Davis on the PS

RB-Group AB could pick up an extra spot for the roster with only 3 running backs. But they need play makers and all 4 add value
1. N. Chubb
2. K. Hunt
3. D. Johnson
4. D. Felton

To finish out 2 QB's and 1 FB
1. B. Mayfield
2. C. Keenum
A. Janovich is a solid player but AB could look at finding more of a RB/TE/FB to play the position. If he keeps Janovich it would be very understandable given his production.

DT-Group Part 1
4 is the magic number but 5 would be ideal.
Billings, Togiai and McDowell all need to show out on Sunday. If it was my call right now without anymore data
1. M. Jackson
2. S. Day
3. J. Elliott
4. T. Togiai

DT-Group Part 2
I would look to upgrade Togiai and try and get him to the PS. He's shown potential but just needs time to develop. In a win now mode that's done on the PS.
If McDowell can show out he would make the 4th spot.

DE- Group
5 is the number from week 14 2020
I'm not sure how much longer AB can wait on Tak. but the group overall is strong IMO
1. M. Garrett
2. J. Clowney
3. P. Gustin
4. C. Weaver
5. C. Malveaux
If Tak can make it back soon he would get the 5th spot.

LB-Group Part 1
I believe 6 will be the number
1. JOK (ST)
2. A. Walker
3. S. Takitaki (ST)
4. E. Lee (ST)
When it comes to 5 & 6 I could see AB to try an improve them both. It's possible Phillips makes the 53 then goes to IR

LB-Group Part 2
Wilson and Meander could make the first roster as well but then be upgraded as other teams make cuts.
KJ Wright
BJ Goodson

The Bills released UDFA Mike Bell I would like to see AB have him in for a work out.

CB-Group Part 1
5 is the safe number however week 3 2020 the Browns did have 6 on the roster.
1. D. Ward
2. T. Hill
3. G. Newsome
4. G. Williams
are all a lock IMO.

CB-Group Part 2
Without looking outside the current roster AJ Green should get the 5th spot. Also Allen may be in the mix should it be 6
It's possible AB look to trade Williams if he doesn't show improvement and pick up 1 mill in cap space.

Last group the Safeties
5 is also the safe number here.
1. R. Harrison
2. J. Johnson
3. G. Delpit
4. R. LeCounte III
5. J. Moffatt
Unless Redwine can do something special I believe Moffatt has done enough to earn that spot for now.

If you don't follow https://twitter.com/chadp71 , I think you should. I know THROWLONG What's Twitter? This Browns fan puts in the time and IMO really knows The Game. Great during the Draft too!

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
5 Browns Position Battles Heading Into Preseason Finale
With just their preseason finale against the Atlanta Falcons to play, the Cleveland Browns have a number of positions to decide on in the coming week.
PETE SMITH

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-position-battles-to-resolve

The Cleveland Browns were able to defeat the New York Giants 17-13, but they still have some looming questions on their roster including a few players who popped in the game. Between now and the conclusion of their exhibition finale against the Atlanta Falcons on Sunday Night Football, the Browns have several decisions to make as they prepare to set the final roster.

1. Connor Davis vs. 10th Offensive Lineman for backup tight end
Connor Davis has everything one could love about Darren Fells when he was with the Browns. Davis is massive at 6'7 1/2" and between 260 and 270 pounds. As a formere offensive tackle, he can reach drive block, but as he showed against the Giants, he can catches passes. Much like Fells, they may not be going far but he's a welcome target to have since he's the size of a minivan and is difficult to miss for a quarterback.

The injury to Stephen Carlson, which will keep him out for the year, opens up the Browns to keeping a fourth tight end option and Davis stands out as the favorite.

The Browns also have Jordan Franks and even utilized Johnny Stanton in that role, but Davis is the only viable option at this point. Franks is short and inconsistent. He's more of an H-back and played fullback in college. It did not help his case that he dropped a pair of passes against the Giants.

Stanton has had two terrific preseason games, but while he can do a few things in various roles, he's ultimately a backup fullback to Andy Janovich.

When they waive him, either another team will claim him or the Browns will get him back on the practice squad and can utilize him if Janovich is unavailable for a game.

Davis offers a skill set the Browns do not have at tight end. His frame, blocking and occasional receiving are all useful. However, they might be able to get Davis on the practice squad and if they can, they'd be able to activate him as needed and keep a 10th offensive lineman. That's pretty valuable consider the talent the Browns have at that on the line.

They could utilize an offensive lineman as a tight end in jumbo packages if they wanted. Kendall Lamm caught a touchdown pass in that capacity last year against the Tennessee Titans. The Browns could line up someone like Chris Hubbard, Michael Dunn or Blake Hance as a tight end and just run over the opponent.

The Browns would probably like to keep four tight ends, but they have an embarrassment of riches on the line and might want to keep as many as possible.

2. Nick Harris vs. Blake Hance for backup center
This only comes up as Hance played center for the Browns against the Giants and save for one snap issue between he and Case Keenum, he did pretty well. Harris was out due to a knee injury and it's not clear what the extent was, but even if he's fully healthy, there's a little bit of a debate here.

Harris is a center only. He proved to be abysmal at guard as a rookie and while added strength and experience will help, he's always going to be at a slight disadvantage there. His lack of height can be exploited.

He looked improved as a center in the preseason game against the Jacksonville Jaguars. More powerful, sure of himself and he looked like he did as a Washington Husky getting out in front of screens with his speed.

Hance is significantly bigger than Harris. A shade under 6'6", Hance offers more weight and positional versatility. He can play guard and was able to step in and play tackle in the postseason last year, doing a decent job against the Kansas City Chiefs.

Being a center only is fine when the starting center, but it becomes a disadvantage as depth. Hance being able to potentially play all five spots works heavily in his favor. Harris is younger at 22 years old while Hance is 25.

The Browns might not be able to get either through to their practice squad, but if they were to chance it, Harris might have the better chance since he's only a center and he's a scheme specific one at that, which is what makes for an interesting decision.

It's difficult to know if the Browns felt like Hance did enough in this game and any practice leading up to it to be confident in him if iron man J.C. Tretter were to go down, but they may be willing to chance it.

The ankle injury suffered by offensive tackle Alex Taylor may cause Browns to stash him on injured reserve for the year. Should that prove the case, there could be yet another wrinkle added to the mix, likely rendering this particular issue a moot point.

If Taylor is out for the year, beyond the starting five offensive linemen, the Browns would have Michael Dunn, who seems the safest of any backup offensive lineman at this point. In addition to Dunn, they would have Harris and Javon Patterson at center, Drew Forbes and Colby Gossett at guards along with James Hudson III, Greg Senat and Chris Hubbard at tackle, plus Blake Hance at everything.

Patterson seems the likeliest to be released and likely will end up on the practice squad. That leaves only seven players and the Browns are in a great position to keep five of them if they only have three tight ends. The injury to Taylor may ensure the Browns keep Chris Hubbard rather than trade or release him to clear up $4.96 million in cap space. It's possible that was the thinking all along and this just makes it easier.

They could keep Senat over Hubbard since Senat is younger and cheaper. That doesn't seem likely as the Browns know how valuable Hubbard was last year when they needed him to fill in at three spots on the line at points.

If the Browns were to release Harris, betting he'd make it to the practice squad, release Gossett or Senat with the assumption they will land elsewhere, the Browns could end up keeping almost all of the offensive linemen they wanted, which would be a pretty big coup for them.

They could, probably should make a trade somewhere.

3. Sheldon Day vs. Marvin Wilson vs. Malik McDowell for backup defensive tackle
The Browns have been fortunate to have a few viable options in their defensive tackle room that are good enough to make the final 53-man roster. Unfortunately, no one has truly separated themselves from the overall group.

Malik Jackson is a lock to make this team and it still seems as though Andrew Billings is the starting nose, despite some uneven play in the preseason, which seems more of an effort to get him in shape than truly evaluate him. He was better against the Giants than the Jaguars, which is a step in the right direction, but he can be a major addition to this defense this year if he plays to the level he's shown capable throughout his career.

After Jackson and Billings, it becomes pretty underwhelming. Much of this is a product of youth at a position that favors age and experience, both to physically handle the rigors of the NFL and to understand how to deal with what opponents are trying to do.

Jordan Elliott, now slimmed down to be a true three, has had some flashes, but he really hasn't been that steady. Still, the third round pick seems pretty safe to back up Jackson with the hope that he will continue to improve.

Behind Billings is where it gets murky. Tommy Togiai, one of the fourth round picks for the Browns in the 2021 season, has the physical tools and ability to potentially be the best pick they made this year. However, he will be just 22 years old September 19th and he never played over 300 snaps in a collegiate season.

Togiai has shown impressive flashes, both with power and quickness, so even if it's likely to be somewhat uneven this year, he's not going anywhere.

That already makes four defensive linemen on this team. They do seem likely to carry five as the position is both incredibly important to them in terms of what it does, but also because they have really divided up the position into roles. Pass rushers and run stoppers. Jackson can do both, but he's more suited to rush the passer.

Billings, Togiai and Marvin Wilson are suited to be run stoppers. Jackson and Elliott are pass rushers with Malik McDowell potentially contributing there as well. Sheldon Day can do a little bit of both as well, but he is what he is. He's not likely to get better, but rather try to maintain over the course of the season. Wilson and McDowell have meaningful upside that could be attractive to the Browns future.

The Browns have to weigh the present against the future as well as having an honest discussion about reliability. Day is the most reliable of the three options. Wilson has not been due to health while McDowell has not been due to off field issues dating back to an ATV action shortly after he was drafted by the Seattle Seahawks. That accident has reportedly had a lasting impact on McDowell.

The Browns would have a ton of insight when it comes to McDowell, which may make it an easy decision one way or the other in terms of keeping him.

McDowell was impressive in the first NFL game he's played in his career. Granted, often against guys who may not be likely to make the team, but he showed he could be dominant at the point of attack, both as a run defender and pass rusher.

On a two-point conversion attempt, McDowell fired with low pad level through a gap and bubbled the play to the right where teammates could corral the ball carrier and stop him short. He also showed some pass rushing ability in this contest.

The other aspect that could work in McDowell's favor, though he has yet to do it in the NFL is playing the role of big end. That's something Malik Jackson could also do, but hasn't really been asked to do at this point. The Browns desperately need more pass rush from their defensive line and McDowell could be an avenue to get it.

Coming into the season, it seemed like the best case scenario and perhaps the optimal situation for McDowell would be to be on the practice squad for a year. Given his issues off the field, that certainty within the Browns organization might paid off for him handsomely both on and off the field.

However, he may have made enough noise that he might get claimed elsewhere. The Browns will have to decide if they are willing to risk it. It's worth pointing out that McDowell is 25 years old, only three months younger than Billings.

Marvin Wilson is a rookie, but he's powerful at the point of attack. He looks exactly like the type of 1-tech nose team would want. The Browns were willing to give him a signing bonus that effectively made him the team's eighth round draft pick this year.

Cutting him would give him bonus money, but if he doesn't get claimed on waivers, would be a magnificent practice squad option that might even see the field this year. In the event the Browns were to decide not to re-sign Billings after this year, Wilson could potentially take over that role along with Togiai.

4. Joe Jackson vs. Curtis Weaver vs. Porter Gustin and the unknown for backup defensive end
The biggest question when it comes to edge defenders is the status of Takkarist McKinley. Kevin Stefanski acknowledges that he has had conversations with the free agent addition but will not reveal any details or updates on his situation.

If for whatever reason McKinley is unable to contribute, be it for a few games or the season, the Browns suddenly get remarkably thin on the edge behind Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney.

Presumably, Porter Gustin is the favorite to be the next man up, though it's worth pointing out he looked far better when he was the fourth option rather than the third. Then, it becomes Joe Jackson against Curtis Weaver.

It always stood out that despite the fact that Cameron Malveaux was activated and played ahead of Jackson in games at times last season, the Browns never waived Jackson. He was on the active roster the entire season, only playing in 71 defensive snaps for the year.

Yet he endured. In the preseason, Jackson has been solid but unspectacular on the edge. He's huge, which works in his favor. Like with Clowney, Garrett, Jackson and even McDowell, Jackson is long and has plenty of size. He left the University of Miami at 6'4 1/2" 275 pounds and he doesn't look as though he's smaller now.

He has done a nice job playing contain and squeezing the run. Jackson hasn't shown much juice as a pass rusher but he displayed good closing speed against the Giants. He's still just 24 years old as well.

Meanwhile, the Browns put in a claim for Curtis Weaver when the Miami Dolphins waived him with an injury designation last year. They then put him on injured reserve for the season where he was able to rehab his foot injury and then work on his body. He was praised by any number of sources including general manager Andrew Berry, who noted how he had changed his body in the offseason.

There's no question that Weaver is in better shape and his body looks much better than it did when he was coming out from Boise State. He's been a decent run defender through two games, but has shown little, if any juice as a pass rusher to this point. He just turned 23 years old, so giving up on him doesn't make much sense, but it's really difficult to justify giving him a roster spot at this point.

Assuming another team does not claim him on waivers, Weaver could benefit from a year on the practice squad. He has good hands and decent technique, but he needs to be more explosive off the ball.

Joe Jackson might be the favorite to win the fourth defensive end spot in the event Takk McKinley is unavailable, but the Browns might also be looking for some help outside the organization to improve the situation.

5. KhaDarel Hodge vs. Anthony Schwartz's hamstring for the final wide receiver spot
It's still an unknown just how good the Browns wide receivers are. They have a significant amount of money and big names in the room, but it has yet to produce as was envisioned when it was put together.

What's clear is that the Browns have at least six NFL caliber wide receivers with a third round rookie in Anthony Schwartz unable to showcase much due to an ailing hamstring.

Schwartz has Olympic caliber speed and could also play gunner for the Browns, but they need him on the field. They've been extremely protective of Schwartz dating back to rookie minicamp. How much of that is precautionary is a mystery.

If it's a real problem, the Browns could potentially place Schwartz on injured reserve to start the season. The problem with that is they would need to waive a player to make space to do that just as they did with Drew Forbes in his rookie season.

Janovich might be such a player the Browns could make that happen.

Hodge was at times the third receiver on the Browns last year. Along with Donovan Peoples-Jones, he's the only other receiver on the team with that combination of size and strength. He also offers speed to stretch the field and is a terrific blocker.

As with Schwartz this year, hamstring injuries forced Hodge to miss eight games last season. When he was in games, every pass he caught was either a first down or touchdown. That has continued in the preseason where he made a couple nice catches against the Giants.

The Browns could theoretically trade Hodge. However, if the Browns do want to put Schwartz on the injured reserve list with the intent of bringing him back later, they would presumably prefer to have Hodge on the active roster. Plus, teams counting on Hodge to be released would then be forced to trade for him to get him on their team for week one of the season.

If the Browns were to trade Hodge rather than try to play roster gymnastics, they could simply keep Davion Davis on their roster until Schwartz is ready to go. He's got size and continues to show well in the preseason, would be a nice practice squad player for this team.

Hodge could be a nice third or fourth receiver on plenty of teams in the NFL. Getting moved from the Browns could be the best thing for him in terms of his career development and earning power. He is scheduled to earn $2,133,000 this season, which could be decent savings for the Browns and a pretty cheap acquisition for most anyone else.

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Does Malik McDowell fit in with the Defensive Ends.

Legend
Legend
yes

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
my guess,

-->Defense: (25),

DE: (4),
Garrett
Clowney
McKinley? / Gustin
Weaver

DT: (5),
M Jackson
Togiai
Elliott
McDowell
Billings

LB: (6),
JOK
Walker
Takitaki
Smith
Lee
(#6; 1 of 2)
Fields II
Mack Wilson

CB; (5),
Ward
Newsome II
Williams
Hill
Green

Safety; (5),
Johnson III
Delpit
Harrison
LeCounte III
Moffatt

-->Offense: (25),

QB: (2),
Baker
Keenum

TE: (4),
Hopper
Njoku
Bryant
Stanton (FB)

OL; (9),
LT Wills
LG Bitonio
C Tretter
RG Teller
RT Conklin
OT Hudson
OL Hubbard
OL Hance
OC Harris

WR; (6),
OBJ
Landry
Higgins
DPJ
Schwartz
Hodge

RB: (4),
Chubb
Hunt
Felton
Johnson

FB:
Stanton (TE #4)

ST: (3),
LS
P
K

[Linked Image]

Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard