Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
O
Legend
Legend
O
Bad but good at the same time. IIRC suspended players don't count against the 53 roster, so we'll have two more weeks to decide on him and possibly shop him. Silver linings aside, hope he's not another Josh Gordon.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 08/24/21 04:28 PM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
No doubt Felton will have a role. I hope I didn't sound like i don't think so.

I see him taking Landrys role next season. I just don't see him as more than just a guy as a back.

Landry won't even be 30 years old this time next year, wondering why you see him as gone.. contract demands?

And Landry's role is precision route running, extraordinary hands, good blocking, great effort, and team leadership... seems like an awful lot to ask of a guy who will be going into his 2nd season as a 6th round pick and who, up until recently, was considered more of a RB than a WR.

Felton should be able to bring many of those. Leadership? I don't think there is a void of leadership on the team.

Oh....yes, Landrys salary would be the factor.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Bad but good at the same time. IIRC suspended players don't count against the 53 roster, so we'll have two more weeks to decide on him and possibly shop him. Silver linings aside, hope he's not another Josh Gordon.

Well, if that's true, that's awesome. Nothing like "buying time" to make a decision.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Dave
Definitely makes him easier to stash on the practice squad, imo.

But if he is like a Josh Gordon or Antonio Calloway, do we want to stash him?.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Davison Davis

Last edited by Pdawg; 08/24/21 04:48 PM.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: FATE

Well, if that's true, that's awesome. Nothing like "buying time" to make a decision.

Berry: "Here, hit this"
Davis: "You sure it's ok?"
Berry: "I know what I'm doing".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Thanks.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
A football team should not be 10 times better on July 23rd than it is on August 24th

This is very bad for fans.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: jfanent

Berry: "Here, hit this"
Davis: "You sure it's ok?"
Berry: "I know what I'm doing".

lmao! I won't lie, that's exactly what was going through my head when I read this new development.

Legend
Legend
I wonder if there has been communication with the league and a two week suspension was inevitable? Rather than waiting for the league to hand it down -- we enforce it now and they uphold it. Wouldn't be a hard sell for Davion to understand the strategy.

AB is next level, we're seeing it over and over again. Won't be surprised at all that this is just another example.

Legend
Legend
I wonder if there has been communication with the league and a two week suspension was inevitable? Rather than waiting for the league to hand it down -- we enforce it now and they uphold it. Wouldn't be a hard sell for Davion to understand the strategy.

AB is next level, we're seeing it over and over again. Won't be Wouldn't have been surprised at all that this is just another example.

Now I see that it was the NFL handing down the suspension and the Browns were merely announcing it. AB is still an evil genius though. thumbsup

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is Rashard Higgins Browns roster spot safe from Davion Davis?
by Elliot Kennel 4 hours ago Follow @ebkennel

Davion Davis has been so sensational this summer that he may beat out Rashard Higgins for a wide receiver position on the Browns roster.

Rashard “Hollywood” Higgins at times was the best receiver that the Cleveland Browns had last season, when Odell Beckham, Jr. went down with a knee injury and Jarvis Landry was not his normal Pro Bowl self as he struggled to play with badly bruised ribs.

Is it possible that Davion Davis has been so impressive that the Browns will be forced to keep him, along with young players that they have committed to such as Donovan Peoples-Jones and Anthony Schwartz?

If so, will they have room for Higgins as a seventh wide receiver behind OBJ, Landry, DPJ, Schwartz, KhaDarel Hodge, and Davis? Or if they cut KhaDarel Hodge, then Higgins is still only the number six wide receiver if Davis is also kept.

We’re not even counting Demetric Felton as a wide receiver, assuming that he will be assigned to the running backs room. But if we think of Felton as a slot receiver, that makes as many as eight wide receivers that the Browns consider to be NFL quality players.

This is a very tough call, especially if the Browns want to commit to four running backs, a fullback and four tight ends this season. On a few occasions, this writer has suggested that the Browns will leave summer camp with only three tight ends on the active roster, although DPD’s readers have written to disagree, with about 95% insisting that four tight ends are essential to run the two-tight-end offense of coach Kevin Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt. Perhaps this is so.

In any case, readers of this space were told that the Browns had added a wide receiver who could make OBJ-style circus catches, in the person of Davion Davis, who recently joined the Browns after having left the employ of the Minnesota Vikings. Davis does not have the Combine times.

He just lights it up when you throw him the ball, and he can make catches with one hand, the way OBJ does. He has now led Browns wide receivers in catches and yardage two weeks in a row.

Davion Davis was brilliant again, leading the team in receiving yardage for the second week in a row on three catches for 45 yards. There is no position for this kid on the roster, but how will the Browns keep him off the team?

His story is that he is too slow and not big enough, but throw the ball anywhere near him and he will catch it. He has made the national highlights with his touchdown catch versus Jacksonville. Also, if you have not seen it yet, check out the catch that Southland Conference calls the catch of the year. It looks like Odell Beckham, Jr., doesn’t it?

Here’s the problem. Many observers believe that Donovan Peoples-Jones is slowly advancing on the third-string wide receiver job behind OBJ and Jarvis Landry this year. By “slowly advancing,” we mean about the same rate of speed as a falling safe.

Peoples-Jones is a serious threat to take over the number three wide receiver job. Draft picks Anthony Schwartz and Demetric Felton cannot be cut unless they are first subjected to waivers, and if the Browns attempt to subject them to waivers, they will predictably be taken by another NFL team.

Similarly, if the Browns decide to cut KhaDarel Hodge, he will become a free agent since he is a veteran. The Browns cannot just automatically assign him to the practice squad. He would have to first clear waivers, then agree to a new free-agent contract. Why would he do that?

On the other hand, the Browns cannot cut Davion Davis without first subjecting him to waivers. We cannot assume that only the Browns know about him now. The cat is out of the bag now. He is on ESPN’s SportsCenter and everywhere else making highlight-reel catches.

Even though it’s pre-season, the scouts are watching. They are not stupid. They can see Davis make these sensational catches against NFL defensive backs. Even if they are not against premier defenders, if he continues to light it up as he has for the first two exhibitions, Davis will definitely be claimed off the waiver wire by some time lacking depth at wide receiver (the Baltimore Ravens, perhaps?).

That will be the end of that. Therefore, the Browns cannot afford to just give away talent like this.

The Browns actually have talent at the bottom of the roster, and especially at the wide receiver position. This author believes in putting the 11 most talented players on the field whenever possible, and this season, three and even four of those players can be wide receivers.

It’s not like a few years ago when the only reliable players were running backs, the fullback, and tight ends. At that time I never wanted to see more than two wide receivers on the field at the same time, not because it is a faulty offense, but because the Browns had very little talent at that position.

Now things are different.

Heck, hire Mike Martz as a consultant for the four-wide-receiver spread formation. Players like Davion Davis may be the real deal and the Browns ought not gift wrap him in purple and black wrapping paper just because they are averse to multiple wide receivers on the field at the same time.

The Browns cannot hang onto Davis, Higgins, Hodge, a fourth tight end, and two fullbacks. If the Browns try to waive four of these players to hide them on the practice squad, in all probability, they are not going to clear waivers.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/08/24/ra...prFDGBxuJ7w9YKY

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Dave
Definitely makes him easier to stash on the practice squad, imo.

But if he is like a Josh Gordon or Antonio Calloway, do we want to stash him?.

I think it's Schwartz they want to stash, whom they couldn't put on Ir designated for return until after sept. 1st.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: bonefish

The status of McKinley is unknown. However, he is expected back.

I don't know bro, things get tricky if we're gonna stick to the mantra... "Smart, tough, accountable".

He's obviously missed all the "work". What's the excuse? Do the other players know the excuse? Is it just "Takk's stepped away for personal reasons"?

I don't worry about it at all. If the Browns brass feel it's legit, which they must because he's been excused, then I'm not worried at all..

Berry and Stefanski don't appear the be the type that would let anything but a Legit excuse work.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
That author fails to note that if other teams have noticed, then he can easily be traded.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Jester
Is Rashard Higgins Browns roster spot safe from Davion Davis?
by Elliot Kennel 4 hours ago Follow @ebkennel

Davion Davis has been so sensational this summer that he may beat out Rashard Higgins for a wide receiver position on the Browns roster.

Rashard “Hollywood” Higgins at times was the best receiver that the Cleveland Browns had last season, when Odell Beckham, Jr. went down with a knee injury and Jarvis Landry was not his normal Pro Bowl self as he struggled to play with badly bruised ribs.

Is it possible that Davion Davis has been so impressive that the Browns will be forced to keep him, along with young players that they have committed to such as Donovan Peoples-Jones and Anthony Schwartz?

If so, will they have room for Higgins as a seventh wide receiver behind OBJ, Landry, DPJ, Schwartz, KhaDarel Hodge, and Davis? Or if they cut KhaDarel Hodge, then Higgins is still only the number six wide receiver if Davis is also kept.

We’re not even counting Demetric Felton as a wide receiver, assuming that he will be assigned to the running backs room. But if we think of Felton as a slot receiver, that makes as many as eight wide receivers that the Browns consider to be NFL quality players.

This is a very tough call, especially if the Browns want to commit to four running backs, a fullback and four tight ends this season. On a few occasions, this writer has suggested that the Browns will leave summer camp with only three tight ends on the active roster, although DPD’s readers have written to disagree, with about 95% insisting that four tight ends are essential to run the two-tight-end offense of coach Kevin Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt. Perhaps this is so.

In any case, readers of this space were told that the Browns had added a wide receiver who could make OBJ-style circus catches, in the person of Davion Davis, who recently joined the Browns after having left the employ of the Minnesota Vikings. Davis does not have the Combine times.

He just lights it up when you throw him the ball, and he can make catches with one hand, the way OBJ does. He has now led Browns wide receivers in catches and yardage two weeks in a row.

Davion Davis was brilliant again, leading the team in receiving yardage for the second week in a row on three catches for 45 yards. There is no position for this kid on the roster, but how will the Browns keep him off the team?

His story is that he is too slow and not big enough, but throw the ball anywhere near him and he will catch it. He has made the national highlights with his touchdown catch versus Jacksonville. Also, if you have not seen it yet, check out the catch that Southland Conference calls the catch of the year. It looks like Odell Beckham, Jr., doesn’t it?

Here’s the problem. Many observers believe that Donovan Peoples-Jones is slowly advancing on the third-string wide receiver job behind OBJ and Jarvis Landry this year. By “slowly advancing,” we mean about the same rate of speed as a falling safe.

Peoples-Jones is a serious threat to take over the number three wide receiver job. Draft picks Anthony Schwartz and Demetric Felton cannot be cut unless they are first subjected to waivers, and if the Browns attempt to subject them to waivers, they will predictably be taken by another NFL team.

Similarly, if the Browns decide to cut KhaDarel Hodge, he will become a free agent since he is a veteran. The Browns cannot just automatically assign him to the practice squad. He would have to first clear waivers, then agree to a new free-agent contract. Why would he do that?

On the other hand, the Browns cannot cut Davion Davis without first subjecting him to waivers. We cannot assume that only the Browns know about him now. The cat is out of the bag now. He is on ESPN’s SportsCenter and everywhere else making highlight-reel catches.

Even though it’s pre-season, the scouts are watching. They are not stupid. They can see Davis make these sensational catches against NFL defensive backs. Even if they are not against premier defenders, if he continues to light it up as he has for the first two exhibitions, Davis will definitely be claimed off the waiver wire by some time lacking depth at wide receiver (the Baltimore Ravens, perhaps?).

That will be the end of that. Therefore, the Browns cannot afford to just give away talent like this.

The Browns actually have talent at the bottom of the roster, and especially at the wide receiver position. This author believes in putting the 11 most talented players on the field whenever possible, and this season, three and even four of those players can be wide receivers.

It’s not like a few years ago when the only reliable players were running backs, the fullback, and tight ends. At that time I never wanted to see more than two wide receivers on the field at the same time, not because it is a faulty offense, but because the Browns had very little talent at that position.

Now things are different.

Heck, hire Mike Martz as a consultant for the four-wide-receiver spread formation. Players like Davion Davis may be the real deal and the Browns ought not gift wrap him in purple and black wrapping paper just because they are averse to multiple wide receivers on the field at the same time.

The Browns cannot hang onto Davis, Higgins, Hodge, a fourth tight end, and two fullbacks. If the Browns try to waive four of these players to hide them on the practice squad, in all probability, they are not going to clear waivers.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/08/24/ra...prFDGBxuJ7w9YKY

I mentioned earlier there are bound to be a surprise cut or two. Higgins could certainly qualify and be one of them.

Higgins is a nice player but he is what he is. I don't see much more growth in his game. Davis looks to be a budding star. We are at the point where I think we need to take a chance on that. The potential reward is worth the risk in losing Higgy.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
That writer is nuts if he thinks Baker will let them cut Higgins. Hollywood has saved his butt and made him look good too many times IMHO.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Since OBJ arrived in Cleveland, hardly a week has gone by without someone, somewhere speculating on the Browns trading him away. These speculations have been, for me, easily dismissed as either clickbait, or people assuming the hapless Browns could be swindled with shiny trinkets. But now, with the depth of our receiving corps, trading Beckham is starting to make sense. I'm not advocating it, but he is the most tradable player in that room. And while trading him would be a drop-off in talent, that drop-off is smaller now than it has been in my memory.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
O
Legend
Legend
O
I need to see some more out of DPJ (particularly live fire) before I fully jump on any trade OBJ wagon. I get wanting to stay ahead of cap issues (and they're coming) but we're set for the season and we have our offensive weapons ready to go. There's no rush just yet.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:
Higgins is a nice player but he is what he is.

Yup he's the guy that catches about everything thrown to him... He's slow, but he finds a way to get open.

He does have a good relationship with Baker..

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
This discussion of keeping Davis over Higgins seems insane to me. Trading Higgins may or may or not be a consideration, but if it is for the purpose of saving a roster spot for this dude? I just don't see it.

Every year there are camp/pre-season all-stars out of nowhere. Rarely do they ever pan out to be good NFL players. Ben Gay anyone? This article reads like it was written by a 20 year old that has only been following the league for a few years.

Browns fans are born with it...
B
Legend
Legend
B
That writer is nuts if he thinks Baker will let them cut Higgins. Hollywood has saved his butt and made him look good too many times IMHO.

I like Baker, but if he is in charge of cuts, we are sunk.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I agree and don't think he is or should be in charge of cuts.

I will say, though, that he is clutch and he and Mayfield seem to be more on the same page than any other WR. He produces at a very consistent level when he shows up. It's one of those intangible things where he doesn't get a ton of separation, he doesn't outmatch his guy, but he just makes the play. There's a very good chance we don't win that Bengals game last year without him.

He seems to be quite the safety net for Mayfield, and I don't think that's lost on the coaches. At least I hope it isn't.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. Keep Higgins. End of story.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
This discussion of keeping Davis over Higgins seems insane to me. Trading Higgins may or may or not be a consideration, but if it is for the purpose of saving a roster spot for this dude? I just don't see it.

Every year there are camp/pre-season all-stars out of nowhere. Rarely do they ever pan out to be good NFL players. Ben Gay anyone? This article reads like it was written by a 20 year old that has only been following the league for a few years.

I like Higgins. But, he doesn't play a whole lot of special teams, and he's not really a guy you scheme to get the ball. Yes, he's been reliable and is well-liked, but the roster is getting to the point where that might not be enough.

I can see arguments for keeping OBJ, Landry, DPJ, Hodge, and Felton as our WRs over him. Maybe keep Davion Davis/Bradley/whoever on the practice squad. Hunt, D'Ernest, Njoku, Bryant, even Stanton (ha ha) have shown they can flex out if we need them to.

There is the chemistry angle, but that only goes so far. Higgins' contract hints that the FO sees him as at least somewhat expendable. His contract could look appealing to a WR needy team in trade.

I do agree that the article was underwhelming.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Davis over Higgins? Got to be joke. Davis is 25 years old and has played a total of 3 NFL snaps in 2 years, he was on the Vikings Practice squad in 2019 and activated for 2 games, he was then cut during training camp in 2020 and no one picked him up, now because he makes a couple of plays against backup/out of work players and he's a stud. lol

#gmstrong

Live, Love, Laugh
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Man, I am really pulling for this cat. It's a great story, and if he can make the team and contribute, it's yet another huge feather in Berry's cap. Not only that, but our interior DL could REALLY use the help.

Berry just finds talent. He's a master of measuring risk with the overlooked player.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I think you'd be hard-pressed to find one of these low-risk/high-reward situations that I WON'T cheer for. I'm really pulling for this guy to salvage what he can of a pro career while potentially contributing to our defensive overhaul.

I think the key part is that our locker room culture is such that it can take on guys like this and be a positive/productive environment.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Just Clicking.. Not sure if it's being discussed anywhere or even if it's worth discussing.

Taco Charlton was Cut by KC today. The coaches out there said that it was a tough cut.. They like him a lot. He was with them last year in the run up to the SB.

Might he be a possible fit for us here?

#GMSTRONG

Daniel Patrick Moynahan

Damanshot
P
Legend
Legend
P

If the Browns are allowing Baker to make roster calls they're doing it wrong.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Damanshot
Just Clicking.. Not sure if it's being discussed anywhere or even if it's worth discussing.

Taco Charlton was Cut by KC today. The coaches out there said that it was a tough cut.. They like him a lot. He was with them last year in the run up to the SB.

Browns just signed LB Tegray Scales.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...%20last%20year.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I can see the FO wanting one or more of the young'ins to take Landry's reps. We're spending a ton of money on the offense, and Baker still needs to be signed, plus we've got Njoku and Teller that are gonna get paid by someone. Something's gotta give somewhere, and there's an awful lot of money going to the WR room.

There is a lot of money going to Landry and OBJ. And if you tell me one of them has to go, it's not even close in my mind. We proved what we could do last year without OBJ..

We may also have to decide between Hooper and Njoku and roll with the other young guys as TEs.. (if you are including them in the WR room discussion)...

Also surprised we signed Hunt to what we did..

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike any of these players but we are in the new position of having to make difficult choices on good players.. and my point is, Landry is one that I would fight to keep.. all of this could be amended based on what guys like Higgins and DPJ do this season....

yebat' Putin
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

Browns just signed LB Tegray Scales.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...%20last%20year.

And a quick search of Tegray Scales just signed by the Browns shows that Tegray Scales has links to ???

It seems like 5 of the last 10 guys signed by the Browns out of nowhere all have links to ???
anybody? see the pattern, the same team?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
It was the Buccaneers. Togiai, pre draft. This linebacker. and at least one more, maybe the TE Davis.

T
Legend
Legend
T
IIRC. this is at least the 2nd if not 3rd year of the final two weeks before cutdowns to 53 where you've advocated for releasing or moving on from Higgins.

I'm glad for what we saw of his success last year.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not advocating it. I am saying I see it as a possibility and wouldn't be shocked if it happened.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Comes down to Higgins and Davis right?

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

I don't know. For a while we can more or less keep both. Come week 3, who knows? Maybe that, or maybe someone gets hurt, or any number of possibilities that enable us to keep both all season.

Funny....cut down day is nearing draft day importance.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown

No. Hodge is a possibility to go.

A Schwartz, nobody even knows if he can go he practiced one time this month with a hamstring?
Davion Davis can't even keep out of league suspension. ( < 2 lines of Obvious purple sarcasm. )

Rashard Higgins was an incorrect referees call from winning you the Divisional playoff game over the chiefs!

And the writer of that article, probably says the flipping LINEBACKER they JUST SIGNED is ahead of Higgins on the WR depth chart.

It's UN-BE-LIEVABLE the disrespect they're showing our beloved Fan Favorite Hollywood Higgins'

(Who should phase out that stupid end zone celebration because it's going to draw a taunting penalty on something else as a make up call, because other teams see it as like staring at a home run in baseball.)
and Higgins could just do a spike, or a point at the scoreboard, or a Leap into the dawg pound any number of things.)

Nothing would surprise me at this point. Well, short of selling the whole league to Mexico.

And Hodge, is not very good, he is constantly stalling drives, hindering the flow of the offense, dropping passes, going back to the first few weeks of last years season, he doesn't get separation, he doesn't beat coverges or place himself in better spots anything above average. He is easily one of the top 3 easiest to replace players in that skilled position area, but I'm biased. ( Hodge, Stanton and Janovich). Who are the 3 easiest to replace skilled position Browns offensive players?
I'm not even counting Kelly or Harbison.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard