Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Daily Pressor

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Thursday’s joint training camp practice with the Giants at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Here’s a transcript, as provided by the Browns’ media-relations department:

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. Got some good work in there with the Giants. Really thought it was competitive. The guys understood that we are here to get some work done. I thought on both sides, we did that. Really good situational periods for specials teams, for offense and for defense. We will link up tomorrow, get another good workday in, take a day off and then play the Giants on Sunday.”

On WR Rashard Higgins’ TD pass in practice:

“We will have to look at the tape. I was right there. I was very close to blowing that dead for a sack. It very well could have been a sack.”

On if or how tomorrow’s practice will be different:

“A few less reps. Red zone work always reduces the field obviously so we will take care of some of those route runners.”

On if there is anything of note with RB Kareem Hunt since RBs Demetric Felton and D’Ernest Johnson were taking more reps today:

“No, just getting them on the field.”

On LBs Sione Takitaki and Jacob Philips leaving practice with an injury:

“I do not have an update on those guys, but obviously, we will see how it goes here when I meet with the trainer.”

On if it was planned for WR Anthony Schwartz to be on the exercise bike today:

“Yes, just part of the plan.”

On an update on DE Takk McKinley:

“I do not have an update there. I am just going to keep that between Takk and myself.”

On how tough it is for Schwartz to learn to slow himself down rather than going full speed all of the time:

“When you are running routes, sometimes you talk about running at 92 percent because if you run it at full speed, it is just the turn is too severe. He needs to utilize his speed because the DB knows he is fast so you are going to get that cushion because of that speed but then you have to know when to drop it down a gear to be able to make some of those turns.”

On if the team accomplished a lot of what was hoped today:

“Yeah, I thought it was really good competition on both sides. I was on the far field there with our offense versus their defense, but I was trying to peek over between plays. I thought it was really competitive work. To be able to finish in a two-minute drive I think is a big deal because in these games you can’t predict if you are going to get a two-minute drive. It was good, solid work.”

On T Jedrick Wills Jr. saying he was ‘trash’ last year and is much better now and if he has seen a difference in Wills’ play:

“I really do think he has come a long way. Personally and professionally, I just think he has been very much about his business. I have noticed. I know his teammates have noticed, as well.”

On what it means to have a veteran like WR Jarvis Landry who says he loves practice and displayed it today:

“He is a very competitive dude. He wants to win every drill. He wants to win when they do releases. He wants to win one on ones. He wants to win the team period. That sets the tone for our team. We understand that the wins and losses come on Sunday, but you really can be out here and be competitive and try to win each practice if you will.”

On having Landry as a resource and example for young Browns players:

“I think there are a bunch of examples of guys like that on our team that the young players can go to. I think it is such a big deal how young players are raised in this league. If you are in a really good room, you are set up for a really good career. I think we have examples of that really across the roster. Jarvis in particular is always willing to share trade secrets with those guys so it is fun to watch them work together.”

On what has he seen from CB Greg Newsome II in terms of growth and comfort:

“He is doing a nice job. He is the type of kid who you do not see him make the same mistake twice. He will make a mistake – he is a rookie that is par for the course – but then he corrects it. He wants to do it exactly how it is coached and use the technique exactly how (defensive coordinator) Joe (Woods) and (pass game coordinator/defensive backs coach) Jeff (Howard) and (assistant defensive backs) Brandon (Lynch) are coaching him. I see a very conscientious player.”

On if it was a cool moment to see teammates huddle around CB Greedy Williams after a pass breakup, given the injury recovery:

“I think that was a really nice play. Right in front of our sideline. Knew when to bring his hands up and defend the pass. A really nice play by Greedy. As you guys know, Greedy to be back where he is, to fight through what he had to fight through to get to where he is and play at a high level speaks volumes of the type of competitor he is.”

On how much can the two joint practice with the NY Giants help the Browns and special teams coordinator Mike Priefer sort through options in the return game:

“It is really important work that we are getting today. We will get some more tomorrow. They catch punts and kicks before practice. They catch punts and kicks after practice. We are getting a lot of exposure to those guys. Certainly, going against a different scheme, the intensity picks up a little bit. At these preseason games, the intensity picks up. It is certainly all a part of it.”

On if he has seen TE David Njoku become more consistent in the past year:

“Yeah, for sure. Dave works really hard on his craft. It shows up in his run blocking, his pass blocking, his route running and his catching. I think he is an example of a guy that has been willing to work on his craft, and I think he is getting better.”

On the value of Njoku’s jumping ability and size:

“Some of those tight ends I have been around over the years, just their sheer size, they are always open. You just have to go vertically up to go get the ball where you do not have to create separation horizontally in a lot of cases. Dave and (TE Austin Hooper) Hoop, our guys, I think they are very friendly targets for the quarterback.”

On if the Browns wanted Wills to be lighter than last year and gain muscle:

“I do not know the exact number that we gave him for his report weight, but he reported right in that window. He is working hard. He works hard with our nutritionist so he is very aware of where he needs to be.”

On if Wills is better with his hands than last year, given Wills shared that was the case:

“Yeah, I do see it, and I would hope he gets better every year. These guys work very, very hard during practice, before practice, after practice and in between periods. He is a guy who is constantly learning under (offensive line) Coach (Bill) Callahan and under (assistant offensive line) Coach (Scott) Peters. A lot of that is hand placement for the offensive line. I do think I see a guy that is improving.”

On if LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah getting reps with the first team is the result of the preseason game performance:”I would not characterize it as that, but I would just tell you, he is definitely playing fast on the field. He is making plays. We had a couple of injuries early in the practice so we had to play everybody over the course of the practice. It is just the natural progression of things for him.”

On if LB Jacob Phillips left practice early:

“We lost Phillips and Taki during practice. I do not have an update on their injuries, but we were down two linebackers.”

On if RB Demetric Felton will play at RB against the Giants, given Felton took his reps there today:

“Yeah, it is trending that way. If everything remains the same with our receiver depth, we should be able to get him in there at running back.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Day 2 of Giants Browns

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Friday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. First of all, thank you to the Giants and to (NY Giants Head) Coach (Joe) Judge for coming out here and getting two really good days of work in. We will take a break and then we will play those guys on Sunday. I thought it was really, really good work in both days situationally. Pleased with that. On Sunday playing the Giants, we will have a very similar plan that we had this last ballgame in terms of the guys that we rested, but I am going to work through that with the coaches coming off the field just to see what our depth chart looks like and that type of thing and the rotations, but that will be our plan on Sunday.”

On tempers rising today and if that is why the coaches called everyone together during the red zone drill:

“It was. There was only a little bit left in practice and just wanted to make sure we finished it strong and finished it smart. Joe did the same thing with his team. The guys get it. It was hotter today. Obviously, down in the red zone, there is condensed space so the intensity was raised. That is OK. It is football. It is a physical game and it is an emotional game, But I was pleased with how the guys kept that in check.”

On if QB Baker Mayfield will not play on Sunday against the NY Giants:

“Correct.”

On if Mayfield will play against the Falcons:

“What is today? Friday? We will see next week.”

On if the majority of starters are resting on Sunday even though DEs Jadeveon Clowney and Myles Garrett were back practicing today:

“Exactly. They fit in the majority. Yeah, they are just in the normal progression of their rehab.”

On an update on CB Greedy Williams and C Nick Harris:

“I do not have an update on those guys, no.”

On how LB Jacob Phillips sustained the injury in practice yesterday:

“I saw it happen on the tape. He just reached out and was trying to defend a guy running a route. Very unfortunate. I feel for Jacob, but he will bounce back. He will attack that rehab.”

On if Phillips will need surgery:

“He will have surgery, yes.”

On if the hope is for Phillips to make it back for the end of the year:

“I think we will see. I think Andrew will address that.”

On an update on LB Tony Fields II:

“I am hopeful, but no real update. He is just doing a nice job in his rehab and then we will see how it goes.”

On if there is an updated timeline for CB Greedy Williams:

“No, I do not have an update.”

On if it extra disappointing that Williams fought so hard to come back from last year and is missing time again:

“No. He is battling. He is competitive. We will just deal with each day, but I am hopeful.”

On if he saw the fistfight after practice:

“I did not. That is news to me. Thank you for breaking that to me. I do not know.

On another player sharing the two were playing around but it seeming real to the media:

“I will have to get an update on that one.”

On how good it is to know that QB Baker Mayfield is very focused on taking acre of the football and eliminating pre-snap penalties:

“I think that is part of playing that position. Obviously, you start with how you take care of the ball. You touch it every play. That just falls in line with what we believe as a team in terms of how important the turnover margin is because that is something that (offensive coordinator) AVP (Alex Van Pelt) and our entire offense is coaching very hard. The pre-snap penalties just fall under we want to have a very clean operation.”

On DT Sheldon Day:

“He has done a nice job. He gets in there. He does a nice job in pass rush, both in the drills and the one-on-one drills. We will see how he looks in this game and the next game, but he is getting as a real opportunity.”

On if it felt like the team was able to defuse any chippy-ness at the end of practice and if everything went the way the teams hoped the past two days:

“Yeah, we got good work in. I thought the guys took care of each other. Again, it is an emotional game and I understand that there is going to be jawing back and forth, but I felt we got the work in we planned to get in.”

On if LB Anthony Walker Jr. was voicing frustration and if Walker was defending himself:

“No, it is football. I would file that under as ‘football’.”

On C JC Tretter not participating in team drills:

“We held him out.”

On if it was regular rest for Tretter:

“Yes.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Some Local media, Beuu Bishop or Nathon Zegura, or Mary Kay, or whomever is on the show with her.

must think Troy Hill, and the new faces:

cured cancer,
beat super man in arm wrestling,
taught Martin Luthor King how to write a speech.
and are so special

the other teams are just going to roll over and need a dose of Pepto Bismol at the site of them in an Orange Helmets and Browns uniforms.

The 2021 Browns ain't done anything yet! A Lot of adversity awaits, as it does Every Year and needs to be overcome.
Important to have the right mindset, even if we're anticipating that this team is, going to play real well.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 08/21/21 12:58 PM.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Some Local media, Beuu Bishop or Nathon Zegura, or Mary Kay, or whomever is on the show with her.

must think Troy Hill, and the new faces:

cured cancer,
beat super man in arm wrestling,
taught Martin Luthor King how to write a speech.
and are so special

the other teams are just going to roll over and need a dose of Pepto Bismol at the site of them in an Orange Helmets and Browns uniforms.

The 2021 Browns ain't done anything yet! A Lot of adversity awaits, as it does Every Year and needs to be overcome.
Important to have the right mindset, even if we're anticipating that this team is, going to play real well.

And they call me Captain Obvious... Yikes

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Post Game Giants

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Sunday’s preseason win against the Giants.

Opening statement:

“(CB) Greedy Williams has a groin injury, (K) Cody Parkey had a quad injury and (LB) Montrel Meander had an Achilles injury. I thought it was some good work for the guys out there. It was hot. They were battling. It took 60 minutes. Got some good situational football work – a two-minute at the end of the first half, a two-minute drive there on defense at the end of the second half and a two-point play – so I think there are a lot of things going on that the guys did a nice job communicating and ultimately battling throughout. Good win.”

On the competition between FBs Andy Janovich and Johnny Stanton IV:

“I think those guys are competing hard every single day on the practice field, in the meeting room and in these games. They are both doing a nice job.”

On Stanton playing some TE today:

“What happens is you have two tight ends so you are trying to find ways to spell those guys. That was some of the thought there, but certainly, the more you can do, it helps your value.”

On QB Case Keenum’s performance:

“He did a nice job operating. Did not like that interception down there in the red zone – we can’t do that, and he should not do that. He knows that. We have to take better care of the ball, but he had obviously some nice plays. That throw to Hodgey (WR KhaDarel Hodge) was outstanding – a great catch, great throw.”

On if the Browns tried to set up a long FG opportunity on K Chase McLaughlin’s 49-yard conversion or if it ‘just happened’:

“Just happened. Obviously, want to get some evaluation from these guys. We were going to kick a field goal there [earlier in the game] and then we had a sack that was called and took us out of field goal range. Was pleased that we were able to get to field goal range that last one.”

On RB Demetric Felton:

“I thought he did a nice job. I would say my vantage point was not great, but he had some good dirty runs. He bounced a few and made some plays in the passing game so he did a nice job.”

On Keenum’s missed connection with Felton in the end zone:

“He just overthrew him.”

On DT Malik McDowell’s performance:

“Malik did a nice job. Had a sack there. That is the first time playing ball for him in a long time. He did a nice job.”

On if the decision to play CB Troy Hill was related to the incident after Friday’s practice:

“All of those things, I will keep between Troy and myself and keep that internal.”

On if he can reveal if or how much the Browns starters will play next week:

“I will do that next week.”

On CB Greg Newsome II’s performance and if Newsome is building on a strong practice week:

“Yeah, I think he is building on the practice week – I think that is a good way to put it. I think it was nice to get him some inside reps today and got him some reps at nickel. He is doing a nice job. He just has to continue to do so.”

On if C Nick Harris’ injury is ‘significant’:

“I think I would call it day to day.”

On the decision to start G Blake Hance at C today:

“With some of the injuries we have had, as you know, these guys have to show their versatility and they have to be able to bounce along that line. That is something that ultimately we want to find the right spot for all of these guys. A lot of it is from an evaluation standpoint.”

On if the Browns are monitoring how much starters from other teams are playing in the preseason as it relates to how much they will play their starters:

“I am really concerned with us, what we need and what each player needs. That is really kind of the mindset I have about it.”

On summarizing the week of practices and the preseason game with the NY Giants:

“Great work with that team. I told you guys the other day, I appreciate (NY Giants Head) Coach (Joe) Judge, that entire coaching staff and those players. We got some really good work done in Berea for a couple of days. I thought the guys worked really hard today and competed for 60 minutes. We were put in a bunch of different scenarios in this ballgame so I thought that was really good for us. We also realize that we have a ways to go. We are just not where we need to be, but that is OK. We have some practices coming up.”

On playing T James Hudson III at LT and RT and if Hudson prefers one spot over the other:

“You would have to ask him, but I think any young player certainly wants to stay at one spot but they have to be able to go play at other spots. He has done a nice job. We have bounced him around in practice and walkthrough. He has not missed a beat.”

On when the Browns can shift from evaluating players to preparing for Week 1 against Kansas City:

“I think you can do both at the same time. Even going back to when we first got together, obviously, we are trying to evaluate the roster and we are trying to get the guys ready in the scheme and get them ready to play. We are constantly trying the sharpen what we do. Always have the season in mind with everything we are doing.”

On where WR KhaDarel Hodge is fitting in the WR competition and what Hodge showed today:

“I think all of those guys are battling across the roster. Hodgey made a great catch on the ball. Not surprising because those two throw to each other quite a bit down there in Texas.”

On how valuable Hodge is on special teams, in addition to contributing on offense:

“All of our guys, everybody plays special teams here, and we are going to need everybody to do so. Hodgey certainly understands his role.”

On if the Browns planned to play LB Mack Wilson until the fourth quarter:

“Yeah, he did not play last week – four plays last week – so we just want to make sure we got an extended amount of playing time for him.”

On LB Elijah Lee competing for roster spot:

“Again, he is going to compete and battle like he always does. He did a nice job out there today.”

On how Parkey injured his quad:

“I do not know. I really do not. He did it at some point, but I am not sure when.”

On if he has a feel for the severity of Parkey’s injury:

“I do not.”

On how hard it is to evaluate WR JoJo Natson as a returner with limited attempts this training camp and preseason:

“I think we have some returns to go on in his career. I think he has done a nice job at practice so we certainly are evaluating all those returns. You cannot predict when you are going to get that return in the punt game or the kickoff game.”

On RB Demetric Felton’s performance in the running game:

“Did a nice job. Have to go back and look at it to give you a better, more informed answer, but he did a nice job. Had him out there running routes, handing him the ball and handling protection so we will be able to look at all of it.”

On S Richard LeCounte III making some big plays:

“Ball finds a way to him, and he has great ball skills. Certainly, did in college, as well. To be able to get the ball at the end was important. We finished even in the turnover margin to be able to get that one to offset our previous giveaway.”

On if he has an update on DE Porter Gustin’s status:

“I do not.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Pdawg #1877638 08/23/21 06:58 PM
Legend
Legend

53 Puppies!!!

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Presser 23rd

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters on Monday, an off day for the team following Sunday’s 17-13 win against the Giants.

Opening statement:

“Following up on the injury front from yesterday, (CB) Greedy (Williams) is day to day with that groin injury, (LB) Montrel Meander will need surgery with an Achilles injury and then (K) Cody Parkey will go to IR with his quad injury. Following up on the game, like we talked about, I thought there were a ton of teachable moments that we are going to look at the tape tomorrow with the players and some really good situational football. Got some work to do, and this is another big week of that work.”

On when Parkey sustained the quad injury yesterday:

“I want to say it was during pregame, but I am not entirely positive about that.”

On if Parkey’s injury means K Chase McLaughlin has won the starting job or if the Browns will bring in another K:

“(Executive Vice President of Football Operations and General Manager) Andrew (Berry) and his staff will discuss those type of things. We are all still battling for jobs on this 53. It is still a great competition at all of these positions.”

On if Parkey is done for the season after being placed on IR:

“I would not get that specific into it. I am sure we will put out a release on those type of things.”

On if Williams will still be able to practice compete for a starting CB spot despite sustaining the day-to-day injury:

“I think day to day means he has to rehab, see how he does tomorrow and see how the injury responds to treatment and that type of thing. Like I mentioned before, we have some time before you have to set the depth chart, before you have to set the 53 and all of those type of things. Plenty of work to do for the guys this week at practice and then with this game coming up.”

On how comfortable the Browns are with CB Greg Newsome II as a potential starting CB, given Williams’ injury:

“All of these guys are competing for jobs. Greg is doing a nice job competing on the practice field and in these games. Understand that he is a rookie, but he is a kid – like I mentioned the other day – who he is not making the same mistake twice. He is very diligent about his work. Ultimately if he is that guy, he is somebody who we are going to count on. All of those guys when these games start rolling around, you are counting on them. That is nothing new and that is nothing that these guy are not used to, especially playing the cornerback position.”

On the Browns and NY Giants starters warming up in full pads yesterday and if that decision was made during the week or if was a predetermined plan earlier in the preseason and training camp:

“We have laid a plan out before this training camp and before preseason but really wanted to get into that week to make final decisions, if you will. No different than what we are doing right now – we have a plan, but we want to see where we are. The idea there was down in Jacksonville we worked those guys out and we had them do a run so I did not have them do pregame warmup. This week we did not have them run prior to the game, we had them do the pregame warmup and then just stay in their pads.”

On how much the Browns have deviated from the initial training camp and preseason plans initially set:

“We have not deviated from the plan. That is just us taking stock of where we are and having discussions in the building. I use this line often, but when the map differs from the terrain, you have to go with the terrain. We have the map and we are following it, but if something else comes up we will pivot.”

On how McLaughlin has performed:

“He is battling. He is doing a nice job. I think you guys have seen it out at practice. He did a nice job with that field goal into the Dawg Pound yesterday. He is doing a nice job and expect him to keep battling.”

On determining how the Browns will be able to distribute the ball on offense, given the number of weapons available:

“Those are the type of things we talk about throughout the offseason – how we want to utilize guys. That is part of the offseason and part of training camp is finding out what guys do and trying them in certain roles and see how they respond to that. We are taking in all of that as we go. When we get to Kansas City week, we will have those discussions. As you put the plays up and you start moving the chess pieces around the board, we will get to that point. In the meantime, it is really just continuing to evaluate these players both as we put this team together and then also just seeing what their skillsets are really at every position.”

On if there are concerns about preparing the starting defense for Week 1, given the number of injuries and that the projected 11 starters may not have spent as much time together in practice as desired:

“We have worked really hard here in the building, on the practice field and in the meeting rooms to make sure that our guys are on the same page. I value walkthroughs. I think the guys have been locked in in the walkthroughs. Ultimately, would love to get the entire group out there – offense, defense and special teams – and have the full complement of guys, but injuries are a part of it, and we just deal with it accordingly. The guys are working hard, I will tell you that. It was good to get (DE) Myles (Garrett) and (DE) Jadeveon (Clowney) out there on Friday and then we will ramp them up. Guys will get healthy as we go here and get more guys in here. I just think it is a natural evolution of it as guys come off of the rehab list.”

On if WR Odell Beckham Jr. may join team drills this week as part of the recovery and ramp up plan:

“The whole point of this has been to do this thing at the appropriate speed and do it with the consultation of the medical team. We will continue to do that. I do think that there will be a point where he is in team drills and those type of things, but we will make sure he is ready for that.”

On if the Browns have determined a plan for the starters’ playing time on Sunday:

“We do have a plan, and we have talked about it. I want to continue to see where we are this week before ultimately signing off on that. I will talk to the players and then I will certainly let you guys know.”

On what factors play into the decision to go for it on fourth down or kick a FG, specifically referencing the fourth-down attempt inside the 10-yard line yesterday:

“On the field goal attempts, I just do not want to kick a field goal that is shorter than an extra point. That is as simple as it is. If it fourth-and-12, would you maybe kick a short field goal? Maybe, but that is the idea. On some of those, you need to see a punt or you need to see a field goal; that is more so than you need to see the offense run another play. Those are the type of things that we are discussing when we make those decisions.”

On if S Grant Delpit or WR Anthony Schwartz are expected to return to practice this week:

“We will see on both of those guys, but I think they are both progressing well. They are working very hard in the rehab. I am hopeful to see one or both of those guys. I am hopeful.”

On how much time he spends talking with Berry on how many players are desired at each position when the roster gets cut to 53:

“Yeah, we talk about it a lot. We spend a lot of time staring at that depth chart. It is ultimately Andrew’s decision, and he has had some tough decisions to make. He does a great job of asking really good questions of myself and the coaches so it is certainly a process. We have another week here of evaluations before those decisions have to be made.”

On if there is a decent amount of flexibility when determining the 53-man roster and the number of players at each position:

“I think Andrew wants to put together the best 53, and that is his goal. I think that we are working hard to make sure that we do that.”

On how much the ability to and knowledge of kicking at FirstEnergy Stadium factors into the competition at K:

“Those guys have kicked quite a bit down at the stadium throughout training camp and will continue to do so. I am disappointed for Cody, obviously. He is a veteran and came up big for us in some big moments last season so I do not want that to get lost in this either. It is disappointing for him, and I know his teammates feel badly about that.”

On if he talks to Browns players and ask if they would like to play in the preseason:

“I certainly talk to them. I do not necessarily take a straw poll on who wants to play in the game, but their feedback is important. All we are trying to do is have a plan that is smart for the Cleveland Browns and for the individual player, and that is ultimately what we will do.”

On DE Malik McDowell’s performance in yesterday’s preseason game after not playing in a game in a significant period of time:

“I thought he did a really nice job, and I am glad that you brought him up because he has not played a game in a long time and he has been through a lot. To see him out there making plays, his teammates were excited for him. He continues to grind. He continues to work at this thing. I thought he had a nice day.”

On if McDowell appears comfortable with the defense or is shaking off a lot of rust:

“I think he is doing a nice job. I think he had worked really hard when we got him in the building in the spring. Obviously, had a couple of injuries that set him back but stayed into it with the walkthroughs and stayed into it in the meeting rooms. He is a guy who is really, really battling. He is working very, very hard as we get through this training camp.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
GC.
Does wearing a helmet in any action hinder the healing of stitches in a forehead from a weight room accident. 18 days before game one kicks off.

My last stitches in my hand took me about 30 days before I felt ready to, you know, hit anything, several years ago, but Dr. made a point to tell me he wanted it to receive open air, not to wrap it up or cover it.

It's Concerning JOK.. and Stefanski discussed it from the media podium on the Berea broadcast yesterday.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Stitches typically come out in 10-14 days. He’ll be well healed by day 18. They’ll likely put a bandage over it for added protection.
He’ll be fine.

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I didn't realize you were the team doctor.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Didn't realize you were the team lawyer.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
8/25/21 Good news pressor a lot of players coming back

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Wednesday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

On who will be playing on Sunday:

“I will tell you before the game – I promise you. I will announce it on Friday. I want to get through these next two days. We have a plan. I want to get through these next two days, talk about it and see how we come out of it and then I will let you guys know on Friday.”

On if DE Takk McKinley will practice today:

“Takk will be out there. A few more guys are coming out. We will get them out there and move them around. I think it will be a good day for everybody.”

On if he can always hear S John Johnson III talking on the field or around the building:

“He is not shy, which is good for that position because you do have to be communicating and overcommunicating. He does a nice job of that. He is very thoughtful. I think the players really enjoy being around him. He is like having another coach out there on the field.”

On if the Browns knew about Johnson’s personality when signed:

“I continue to learn about it for sure, but that was definitely in our research and our reference work. That was something that came out – just the type of teammate he was and the type of leader he was.”

On if WR Odell Beckham Jr. is on track to be ready for Week 1:

“He is on track for today. I am not really going too far past today and the next day. He will be out there today moving around in some drills. I am not really going to worry about the future in that regard.”

On DE Curtis Weaver:

“Curtis had some nice moments in the game the other day. He continues to do a nice job in practice and all of the drill work. He just has to keep coming along.”

On if McKinley will play on Sunday:

“I would say similarly with a lot of guys who are coming back, just want to see how they look the next few days before making any determinations.”

On if any other Browns players will return to practice today:

“I think we will see. You can check them off the roster when you are out there.”

On DT Malik McDowell in the meeting rooms and off of the field:

“He has been great. He has been great in the meeting rooms, around the building and out on the grass. He is in a really good place, works very hard and is very serious about his craft. I see him making strides every day working with Coach Kiff (defensive line coach Chris Kiffin) and working with (assistant defensive line) Coach (Jeremy) Garrett.”

On CB Greg Newsome II matching up against NY Giants WR Marvin Jones last week and if he noticed Newsome was more comfortable during the game:

“I think that is natural for a rookie to get more comfortable as the reps pile up. I think you have seen that with Greg over the course of training camp and to go in these game situations where the intensity builds a little bit more. When you get beat in the game, it is points; when you get beat in practice, the whistle blows. He is gaining really good experience out there. You mentioned Marvin Jones – that is a savvy veteran that you face up against in your first matchup as a pro. Only going to continue to get better with the work he gets both on the practice field and on the game field.”

On what skillset of McKinley is he looking forward to seeing the most when returning:

I think the thing that you saw on tape with Takk certainly the thing that I have seen up close and personal is how he gets off the ball. He is very explosive. He makes plays getting up the yard, penetrating and has a really good motor. Those are the types of things that we saw on tape. Excited to see more from Takk.”

On how valuable it is to have a player like WR KhaDarel Hodge who appears willing to do whatever it takes to receive playing time:

“I think that is a fair way to describe him. He has played many different roles for us this past season. Continue to move him around the formation. he is a versatile football that is not a one-position player for us as a receiver.”

On if Hodge ever gets in his ear about throwing a pass in a game:

“All of those guys do. Every single one of them.”

On if he has seen TE David Njoku’s improved mindset and willingness to be in Cleveland manifest itself during training camp:

“I would say I see that. I think he finished really strong last season and then he came in in great shape. He has been really working hard at all of his techniques in the run game, pass protection, running routes and those type of things. I see a very determined player, and I like where David is.”

On C JC Tretter’s status after not participating in team drills and portions of practice:

“He is OK. Just normal rest.”

On how Beckham has handled the individual rehab plan and training camp as a whole:

“He has done a nice job in the meeting rooms and at the walkthroughs. He has a much better understanding in Year 2 of the scheme and that type of thing. He is getting good work in. It is work that happens in the building and out on the practice fields. It will increase as we go, but I think he is working really hard really everywhere, whether it is meeting room or stuff that they are doing in the weight room. I think it just keeps showing up that the guy is battling. He is working very hard.”

On if WR Anthony Schwartz still has time to ramp back up and be able to contribute early in the season:

“I think for sure he has a chance to help us. We have to see how he does over the next few days. We will get him out there today in some drills. It is just a matter of how he responds to that, but yeah, I am hopeful in that regard.”

On if WR Davion Davis is a different person from when they were both with the Vikings in 2019, when Davis had the incident that resulted in the recent suspension:

“Yeah, I think so. He has grown. He is a mature young man. I think he knows that he made a mistake, and ultimately, he has to answer to that, but I do see a mature young man.”

On if the Browns knew the NFL investigation was pending and there was a potential for league discipline prior to signing Davis:

“Yes.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
I didn't realize you were the team doctor.

He has his PhD from Oxford.

Honestly, though, that's been true just about every time I've gotten stitched. One time I think was less than 10 days.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, maybe we need to make sure JOK has padded dumbbells.

First time in 60 years of reading sports stuff a player has stitches in head from weight lifting.....guess he was trying to get one more "meaningful" rep.....Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
O
Legend
Legend
O
We've had far more ridiculous injury situations....

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Quote:
On if WR Odell Beckham Jr. may join team drills this week as part of the recovery and ramp up plan:

“The whole point of this has been to do this thing at the appropriate speed and do it with the consultation of the medical team. We will continue to do that. I do think that there will be a point where he is in team drills and those type of things, but we will make sure he is ready for that.”

I'm wagering that they will hold off until camp closes to the media and the public, or dang close to it, before OBJ joins team drills.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Pdawg #1878274 08/26/21 01:53 PM
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Jadeveon Clowney on his relationship with Myles Garrett:

Ever since I got here, we have spent time together, picking each others brain. It starts with us up front. We need to know each other front to back to go out and dominate.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ski pressor, Sorry I haven't been keeping up with these.

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Thursday’s training camp practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

On if he is still amazed watching DE Myles Garrett in practice:

“Yeah, I would take you back when I first saw him last training camp in pads and going through drills. That was unique to see somebody that size and be able to bend like that and get off of the ball like that. Once I saw it then, it kind of became the norm.”

On if unvaccinated players are allowed to leave town during the three-day weekend:

“They need to test every day still – unvaccinated players. Vaccinated players can leave town, yes.”

On clarifying if unvaccinated players can leave town:

“They would have to test every day. I guess they would have to leave town and then get back to test that next day theoretically.”

On the NFL mandating three days off from players this Friday through Sunday:

“It is mandated by the league. We have to charge our battery up. They have to be smart in their rest and recovery. We talked about that this morning. We are very mindful that we have seven weeks until that mini-bye after the Thursday Night game. We have 12 weeks until our bye. We need to be real intentional as a team about how we rest and recover.”

On if this is the first time that Browns players have been allowed to go out of town before the season:

“That is right. I think it is the first time they have mandated the time off. I think it was up to each club how they wanted to handle this weekend. Remember, you would be playing a game tonight in previous years and then the final cuts would be coming in the next couple of days.”

On how the Browns coaches will handle work during the players’ three off days:

“We will work. We have plenty of work to do. We have kind of outlined what we need to get done this weekend in terms of getting ready for next week.”

On if he likes having the bye week late in the season:

“You have no control over it. I would tell you, with the 17th game with the late bye, we have definitely considered that as we put together our plan.”

On if he is ‘satisfied’ with where the team is at right now:

“I would not use the word ‘satisfied.’ I think we are where we need to be with a bunch of work left to do.”

On if there were specific steps identified to improve the culture when he got here last year:

“Nope, just got the right people in here.”

On which coach has had the greatest influence on his play calling:

“I would upset somebody if I gave you one person. I mean that I was really so fortunate to be around different people, different philosophies, different personalities and different schemes so I have tried to take everything from all of those guys.”

On if he ever worked on play calling before he became the play caller:

“I played quite a bit of Madden growing up (laughter). I think any coach period, you are calling the plays with the play caller throughout the game. ‘Hey, I really like call. I would not call that.’ I can’t tell you how many times as a young coach I would hear a play call come in and be like, ‘Oh, I would not call that,’ and then first-and-10 or touchdown. I think all of us when you are not calling plays are in that rhythm thinking about what you might call next. I know for us offensively,and even (defensive coordinator) Joe (Woods) defensively, I think it is a really collaborative effort on game days. Ultimately, I am making those calls and Joe is making those calls, but we have a lot of help along the way.”

On if he has any update on injured Browns players:

“No update other than to say that everybody is progressing.”

On if he is encouraging players to stay close to home this weekend:

“I think the message is stay safe, be careful and follow the rules that are set forth, but in terms of telling the guys what they can and can’t do, I am really not in a position to do that. I am in a position to tell them to be safe and reiterate some of those messages this morning and again today.”

On if he was feeling healthy and up to speed in the AFC Divisional game after missing the prior week with COVID-19:

“I was. I was fine.”

On if he was ‘rusty at all’ in the AFC Divisional game:

“Well we lost so I was not good enough, but physically, I was fine.”

On losing his taste and smell:

“Yeah, luckily that came back a couple of weeks later.”

On if he approaches Week 1 as if they are playing the Chiefs for the second time in a row or if the new season makes it more of a new game:

“It is definitely a new game. We have a lot of the same players. They have a lot of the same players. We have the same coaches. They have the same coaches. You do not pick up where you left off so we are certainly anticipating they are going to show us things that we have not seen throughout the preseason. I know they expect the same from us. Of course, there will be similarity because a lot of the faces are the same.”

On if he watches the TV show Ted Lasso:

“I have watched a bit of it. I have not gotten through season one yet though.”

On if he relates at all to Ted Lasso as a coach:

“I do not know how to answer that. It is a good show.”

On Woods’ performance last year and how eager he is to see the evolution of Woods and the Browns defense this year:

“For sure, I would tell you, there was definitely an evolution of the defense, as well, throughout last season – some different faces in and some different guys out. We added more in terms of the front and added more in terms of the coverage, even late into the season. We expect defensively to be different. We obviously need to be better, and we know that as a unit. We have outlined ways that we are going to do that.”

On if there is a competition for the starting WILL LB:

“I think we know who our starters are today, but I would say we will wait until next week to really finalize what we are going to look like going into Kansas City.”

On if finalizing the starting positions is a factor of game planning or competition:

“I would say a little bit of both. I know we have to set that depth chart and we will, but at the end of the day, we will play a lot of guys. We really will. We will wave guys in, especially on the defensive front. We will work through all of that next week.”

On if WR Rashard Higgins is back today:

“He is not, but he is excused.”

On what makes Higgins so effective:

“With Rashard, I can only go on what I know. He was inactive for a bunch of games early in the season, never complained, did whatever was asked of him and then gets in the game and produces. That is a testament to how hard he works. We have talked about that rapport between him and the quarterback before. There is a great ability to be where you are supposed to be and make the play when they ball is in the air. I just think that is kind of what I have seen from him in the last year.”

On Higgins always being where he is supposed to be:

“Yeah, obviously, that is a big part of it – being dependable to the offense, not just for the quarterback but just being dependable.”

On if the practice squad will be finalized today:

“I think we are finalizing it today and tomorrow.”

On the importance of having four DEs who can rotate and the decision to re-sign DE Joe Jackson:

“I would tell you, all of those roles are important, specifically to how we are going to wave the guys along the defensive front. Joe had a nice camp and did a nice job in the games. We expect him to continue to build on that.”

On why Jackson was re-signed over other players who were brought back to the practice squad:

“I think there is so much to consider with those type of decisions. Specifically to Joe, he had a nice camp.”

On if there is an ideal number of developmental players versus players that are ready to play on the practice squad:

“I do not that there is a specific number, but you definitely have guys that could play in Week 1, and you definitely have guys that you are looking at for next season that you want to develop and take a look at. It varies.”

On if G Michael Dunn is a candidate for IR:

“I think we will work through all that. He is progressing, though.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
From Monday

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Monday’s practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

On using waves of players on defense and if planning for 17 regular season games is a factor:

“That is just how we play. You have seen this system over the years is you do wave a bunch of guys on that D line to keep them fresh. That is why Coach Kiff (defensive line coach Chris Kiffin) and (assistant defensive line) Coach (Jeremy) Garrett work really hard with all of those guys, and we are going to count on all of those guys.”

On rotating players at LB and each LB having his own role:

“Yeah, I think that is true really of all of these positions. We have to carve out roles at a bunch of different spots.”

On LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah’s development thus far:

“He is doing a nice job. Obviously, you know he had that delay there in the beginning [of training camp], but he made sure to get all that he could out of all of those walkthroughs. Then he had that injury in the weight room, but he has overcome that, as well. He is doing a nice job. He is continuing to work.”

On the value Owusu-Koramoah provides in the ability to cover TEs and play in space:

“I would tell you, all of those linebackers, it is very important to be able to cover in this NFL game. Obviously, you mentioned Kansas City has some great tight ends that they have a bunch of different guys in the pass game. The ability to cover is a big deal.”

On how good it feels to have a full complement of players available heading into Week 1:

“That has been the plan all along is to make sure you are sharp and you are fresh. We had some guys working through some injuries and continue to do that, but that has kind of been the plan. Hopefully, guys continue to progress.”

On if there is a sense for WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s availability in Week 1:

“For all of the guys, I think we are going to use today and the next few days to see where everybody is and then ultimately make decisions on how this week goes.”

On if the Browns are expecting a higher reception total for TE Austin Hooper this year:

“I think we talked about it before, I do think his role can grow. He was very, very important to our success last season, and we are going to count on him in a variety of areas this year, as well.”

On LB Mack Wilson Sr. and WR Rashard Higgins having babies during the past six weeks and balancing football with personal matters:

“It is definitely something we talk about is we have to be so intentional about when we are away from this being of being with our family. You mentioned a couple of guys becoming dads for the first time and how important it is for them to be there and be present. We make a big point of it in this building, all of us when we are outside of this building, we have to make sure that we are where our feet are.”

On if it is easy for coaches or players to lose focus on family or other personal matters when amidst the grind of training camp and the preseason or regular season:

“Certainly, we spend a lot of hours here so we have some all-stars at home who are helping on that front. There is an amount of work that has to happen within these walls, but when you are not out here, you have to make sure that you are home.”

On WR Donovan Peoples-Jones producing throughout training camp and the preseason and Peoples-Jones’ development following the rookie season:

“Donovan has done a nice job going back to last season, as well. He has done everything that has been asked of him. He came back in really, really great shape. He spent some time with (QB) Baker (Mayfield) in the summer. That definitely showed in how he is playing.”

On Peoples-Jones being quiet and reserved in media interviews and if that is the case in the building:

“I would say he is not the most boisterous guy – we have some other guys who have that handled – but he comes out here and he works. He knows what to do out here all of the time and does his job. He really lets his performance, his play and how he practices do the talking.”

On if there is a competition this week at K between Ks Chase McLaughlin and Chris Naggar, who was recently added to the team’s practice squad, or if the team will go into Week 1 with McLaughlin in the position:

“We go into Game 1 with Chase for sure. It is a competition at every position throughout the season, but the plan was always to have two kickers on the roster.”

On the difference heading into Week 1 this year compared to last since there were no preseason games and a different preparation timeline, as well as continuity among Browns coaches and players:

“I would say things are very different. Obviously, we are all in a different place. Having a year under the belt for our coaches with our players, we hope provides and advantage, but there are a bunch of teams – including the one we are playing this week – where they have continuity, as well.”

On if the Browns are satisfied with how the team handled the NFL’s mandatory three days off for players this past weekend and return to prepare this week:

“Yeah, as far as I know, guys took care of what they needed to take care of and then got some good work in today. We are going to go back in and have some meetings and another walkthrough. It is a good workday for us.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ski Pressor from today Friday the 10th

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Friday’s practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Opening statement:

“A good week of preparations. We have tomorrow some meetings, walkthrough and we will get on the airplane. Looking forward to a great challenge playing a really football team on the road.”

On how DE Jadeveon Clowney looked at practice today:

“He obviously was sick so good getting him back in here. It was nice seeing him out there at practice.”

On if there are any other details on WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s status for Sunday beyond being listed as questionable:

“Not really.”

On what the decision comes down to if Beckham will play or not:

“I think he was limited today so we will use the next 48 hours with all of these guys and determine who is playing and who is not. We will let you know 90 minutes before the game.”

On if the decision for Beckham’s status will come down to watching warmups on Sunday morning:

“I think for all of these guys that were limited at practice, we will make sure that we huddle up over the next 48 hours and make decisions.”

On confirming Beckham has not taken any full contact to the ground or taken a hit to the knee yet:

“Correct.”

On if Beckham has met the benchmarks the team has laid out for him to be ready for Week 1:

“All of the guys who are rehabbing from any injury, we make sure that we follow the medical advice and go through the rehab process like that so he is no different.”

On if Beckham has sustained a setback with rehab that resulted in a questionable status for Sunday:

“No.”

On if the Browns believe in setting snap counts for a player or if they are expected to be available for the entire game if active:

“For every single player who comes into the game, they have to be ready to play the whole game, but we as coaches and as a medical staff make sure that we have guys who are ready to do whatever they are capable to do. To answer your question, yes, there are a bunch of guys that you look at and say, ‘Alright, he can go this many plays based on this.’”

On if it was quick for DE Takk McKinley to get back to what was wanted physically:

“He has done a nice job out there, just how attentive he is at the walkthroughs, in the meeting room and coming out here on the practice field and playing really fast. He has done a nice job.”

On the weather being expected to be 93 degrees at kickoff on Sunday and hydration being a key focus for the team this week:

“Yeah, it is one of those other things that we do not control. We do not control the crowd noise and we do not control the heat, but we have to deal with it. We have to have a plan. We have made sure that the guys are understanding what they need to do really throughout the week to make sure that they are ready to go on Sunday.”

On if the Browns will name captains for the season or on a game-by-game basis:

“We are going to do the same thing that we did last year. We will do game captains.”

On if he knows the game captain(s) for Sunday:

“I do, but I am not going to disclose.”

On if the cheer at practice was for the announcement of this game’s captains:

“It was. Should have looked a little bit closer (laughter).”

On the philosophy behind selecting captains on game-by-game basis rather than for the full year:

“It is just how we do it. It does not mean it is the right way to do it. I just feel like you do not need that C on the chest to be a leader. I feel like each game highlighting one guy and what he means to the team and having him be the captain works better for us.”

On how excited he is to finally start the regular season:

“I think a lot of the guys are excited about the opportunity to go compete. It is a great team we are playing and a great coaching staff so they understand the challenge and the task at hand. That is the exciting part for these guys is to go watch them compete.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Yesterdays post KC presser

By Scott Patsko, cleveland.com
BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters Monday via video conference.

Opening statement:

“On the injury front, (T) Jed (Wills Jr.) has an ankle injury. We will see how he progresses throughout the week. I feel about the same as I felt yesterday – disappointed we could not get it done. You have to play clean football to win on the road against a good opponent. We finished minus-two in the turnover margin, and you are not going to be able to win a close game when you do that.”

On Wills’ status:

“I am going to say he is day to day.”

On the Browns’ poise down the stretch and if it is related to experience or if the team should have performed better ‘when it mattered most’:

“We have high expectations for ourselves. You know you are going to have to play a 60-minute game. All of these plays matter, No. 1-65 or however many plays you get. We have to be able to play clean football, and that is really for 60 minutes versus any opponent in the NFL.”

On reviewing the film of the events that led to S Ronnie Harrison Jr.’s ejection:

“Yeah, I did watch it again. I talked to Ronnie. It is the oldest thing in football and in sport. The game officials always see the second guy Ronnie has to show some poise there and not retaliate.”

On if the Chiefs assistant coach involved should be punished by the NFL:

“I am just going to concern myself with our players and our team.”

On if P Jamie Gillan could have been able to get a punt off after mishandling the snap in the fourth quarter:

“Yes, he could have, and he knows that. We talked to him about that in the moment, and we talked to him about it today. Obviously, he knows he has a job to do. We expect him to do his job at a high level. If something like that happens, you need to just get the ball to punt it, and he knows that.”

On evaluating QB Baker Mayfield’s overall performance and if Mayfield was trying to throw the ball away on the interception in the fourth quarter:

“As you know, there is always good and bad that goes with every game, and there was a lot of good. Baker did a nice job in a lot of the operation of what we were doing in a tough environment. Ultimately, he knows he has to take care of the rock and has to throw it away there – I know he was trying to throw it away – but he has to find a way to get an incompletion for us. Again, he is very hard on himself. He works at this very, very hard. There are plenty of plays that I want back from myself from myself from play calling, and there are plenty of plays that I know every single one of players want back. That is just the nature of this beast. We have to learn from it and get better because of it.”

On what the Browns can learn from the game and improve, specifically as it relates to finishing the game:

“It is a lot of little things that add up to be a big thing. It is simple alignment, assignment, technique and schematically what we are asking our players to do. It is our job to out our players in position to succeed, and sometimes, we as coaches fall short. Sometimes it is just as simple as an alignment, assignment or technique error. With all of that, you need to play clean football. You have to do it for 60 minutes, whether it is the first, second, third or fourth quarter.”

On T Chris Hubbard’s performance after replacing Wills at LT in the second quarter and if Hubbard will continue to fill the role if Wills is unavailable:

“I thought he Hub some good moments. As you guys know, we have called on him in the past to play right tackle and in this case left tackle. He has played inside for us. That is the nature of being that sixth man. He performed admirably. If Jed were not to be able to go, he would be the guy who would be in there.”

On if he came away from the game feeling better about the team as far as it relates to the overall picture and how they played and if the team cleaned up the mistakes, it would have won:

“No.”

On WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s status and if the team plans to take ‘a really conservative approach’ to Beckham’s return:

“I would not call it a conservative approach. We are just trying to be appropriate with all of this. Ultimately, he is coming off of a major surgery, and we are going to work through it day by day. When he is ready to play, he will play.”

On if there are any positive takeaways from the number of pressures on Chiefs QB Patrick Mahomes despite only producing one sack:

“I think we just have to be honest and transparent with the players in our assessment of the game, and that is what the coaches are meeting on as we speak – point out each play what we did well and what we could have done differently. Whether you win, lose or draw, you have to learn from these things. That is what we are working on very hard right now.”

On what the Browns could have done better to limit Chiefs WR Tyreek Hill:

“It is obviously a tall task to slow their offensive players down. We have a tremendous amount of respect for those guys, but we have to be better. We have to be able to find a way to slow them down. You are not going to stop an offense like that – I think everybody knows that – but we have to find to a way to slow them down. Again, not to take anything away from them.”

On if the Browns defensive schemed the Chiefs offense correctly, particularly as it relates to when to pressure and when to play back in coverage:

“You look at it, and there are plenty of things we wish we could have done differently, but then there are also moments where you have to make a play and find a way to get off the field and find a way to slow them down. As you know, it is never one thing. That is why we need to identify the things that we can to do better and the things that we can improve upon because all of these plays, they continue to show up. That is how the NFL works. When a play shows up and it hurts your defense, it is going to show up the next week in a copycat league.”

On evaluating LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah’s performance an in NFL debut:

“He had some good moments. There is a ton that he needs to clean up, but he played fast, and he is going to work at it. I know that. That is kind of how it goes for rookies. You want to constantly get better throughout the season.”

On DT Malik McDowell’s performance in his first regular season game:

“I thought he did a really nice job. You saw it on the very first play of the game. He was disruptive and made a play. We are counting on him to be that type of guy I thought he did a nice job.”

On McDowell playing a high number snaps after not playing football for a significant period of time:

“He has worked at it. We have talked about it, he has been through a lot, but since he been here on campus, the guy works. He does a nice job in the meeting room, the weight room and out on the grass. He takes this very seriously.”

On the impact of losing Harrison early in the game and if the team is considering further discipline:

“Those type of things we will keep it internal, but obviously, it is disappointing when you lose a starter after five plays.”

On WR Anthony Schwartz’ performance:

“I thought it was positive overall for Anthony in his first NFL game. I just think to all of these rookies and guys playing for the first time, they are going to grow in their roles and they are going to get better, but I thought that was a good start for Anthony.”

On what the Browns could have improved on third and fourth down in addition to better execution, especially in the second half:

“Yeah, it is always more than just execution. When you say execution, you are just putting it all on the players. All of us take a share in the success of this thing, and all of us take a share in the blame of this thing. We do have to find a way to get off the field on third and fourth down when it comes up. Then offensively, we have to be better on third down. When you add the fourth downs to it, obviously on third and fourth down, it looks a little better so the guys performed decent there, but we have to make a play in those critical areas.”

On the Browns falling subject to multiple impactful plays after RB Nick Chubb’s fumble and how to prevent a snowball effect that affects the game:

“We have to be a resilient bunch in these 60-minute games. Something is going to happen that does not go your way, and you have to respond to it. I think we have the right guys in this building that will respond when something like that happens in those games because it is going to happen again this week and the week after that. You are not going to play the perfect 60-minute game, and you have to be ready to respond though when things do not go our way.”

On the incident involving Harrison and the Chiefs coach’s response and if Harrison’s contact with the Chiefs player was incidental:

“Again, I can only worry about my players and my team, but I do think any contact that came from Ronnie was incidental. If you watch the play, it is pretty obvious that he is getting collisioned as he is trying to get off of their boundary. That does not excuse him from retaliating. You can’t do that. That is something we all know that the game officials will see the second guy and not the first guy.”

On if Beckham not yet experiencing contact in practice is a hurdle to overcome for a return:

“No, I would just say the natural progression of rehab is just getting ready to play football. We are not doing anything live in our practices, but we will just work through appropriately based on our medical staff and based on Odell. He will be ready when he is ready.”

On if he expected Beckham would be ready to play until shortly before the inactive list was announced:

“We listed him as questionable, which is 50-50. We knew we had a plan, and we made sure that he worked out pregame. Again, he was not ready, but when he is ready, he will play.”

On the two offside calls against DE Myles Garrett and if he believed they were good calls:

“It does not matter. They called them.”

On Garrett saying he will continue to be aggressive and that the offside calls would not change his mentality or potentially slow him down:

“We have a mindset as a defensive line that we want to get off the ball. Teams are going to constantly use a snap count, particularly when they are at home. They will always use the snap count against our front, Myles in particular, because they are going to use it as a weapon against him. He has to be disciplined in his approach while obviously still maintaining that ability to get off on the snap.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I think we can do better then we showed in the last 10 minutes of this game.

KC got away with a W they didn't earn and has been said sometimes you need a break and they got them at the end of the game.

The Hammer best not drop anymore snaps or he will be on the next bus out of town.

I feel very confident that when we see KC in the playoffs will be a better team overall, and I am sure glad I am not them.

That said as the season rolls on I look for us to become a much more aggressive defense we are on our way we will grow as a team, and I think in the long haul losing this game may pay off huge for us. The team players and coaches will WORK this out I feel certain of that.

One thing for sure we can't let a mistake by anyone snowball and we did exactly that on Sunday, and that simply can't happen.

Credit to Mahomes he took a lot of hits on Sunday I thought it would wear him out but he just kept getting up.

Overall, I would say the defense looked about like what I thought they would. Big pressure throughout the game from the front end, and some issues to work out on the backend. And as I also said losing comes with rewards if you get better from it I think that is going to happen.

Onto Houston and our home opener. Refocus put Sunday behind us for NOW, and get after it for this Sunday.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I think at this point we can all give up our dreams of watching the Hammer put his rugby skills to work and tearing down the sidelines...

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone

On if he came away from the game feeling better about the team as far as it relates to the overall picture and how they played and if the team cleaned up the mistakes, it would have won:

“No.”

This is why I think Cleveland has the absolute worst collection of sports media professionals. I'm not speaking in hyperbole/exaggerating. What does KS mean here, and why was there no follow-up?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Presser from yest.

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters following Friday’s practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Opening statement:

“Excited for the opportunity this Sunday against a really good football team coming into our house. I am really excited to see that place at full capacity. I have not seen that yet. I have heard the stories. I am looking forward to all of Northeast Ohio coming up for this game. I want to get the message out that Coach Stefanski wants you in your seats at kickoff – no empty seats. I want full-throated effort for all 60 minutes. Get out of the Muni Lot, get into your seat and you can go back to the Muni Lot after the game. You make a difference, and I really believe that. The home advantage in the NFL is such a big deal, and I think our fans make a difference. You are talking about third down and fourth down. We will be looking for any delays of game from them or false starts. Those type of things are a direct correlation to our crowd. When we are on offense, looking to hear a pin drop. Excited to see and excited to experience that for the first time.”

On what he remembers from coaching in Cleveland in 2009 while with the Vikings:

“It was (Pro Football Hall of Fame QB Brett) Favre’s first game [with the Vikings] so that was kind of unique. I remember (former NFL WR) Percy Harvin had a touchdown. I do not remember much of it from the experience. I was kind of probably charting plays, my nose down in the chart and had my pencil going. I am looking forward to it. That is a unique experience down there on the lake. I am looking forward to that being a big part of how we win.”

On LB Anthony Walker Jr. being placed on injured reserve and the timetable for return:

“Yeah, he is on IR for three weeks is the hope.”

On who the signal caller is on defense:

“We will work through it. That is something we have talked about. When we get to the game, we will see what we are going to do. We have a plan obviously to rotate in some linebackers.”

On who takes Walker’s spot as starting MIKE:

“We will work through it. (LB) Malcolm Smith is a candidate. (LB) Elijah Lee is a candidate.”

On if the Browns have a plan at LT:

“Yes, we have a plan at tackle. We will see how it goes over the next few hours to see how (T) Jed (Wills Jr.) responds, but if he cannot make it to the game, we have a plan.”

On if Wills participated in practice more than riding a bike to the side, which was the case during the portion open to media:

“No.”

On Walker’s performance in Week 1:

“He did a nice job. He is a big part of what we do. Obviously schematically, Xs and Os, he is a big part of who we are. He is a great leader. He is going to continue to lead, even though he is not playing. He is going to support his teammates.”

On if Walker’s injury means a bigger role for LB Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah:

“I think for all of those linebackers, everybody has to pick up the slack.”

On if the Browns offense needs to be more patient when facing a Texans assistant head coach/defensive coordinator Lovie Smith defense, given the emphasis on creating takeaways:

“I think there are certain defenses that require more patience, not just the Tampa 2. There is also the Hawk 3 teams or the Seattle’s of the world that try to limit your explosives and keep things in front of you It certainly requires discipline. It requires a lot of things, really: precision in the pass game, landmarks, spacing, timing, accuracy and all of those things.”

On if he has a rule of ‘if you don’t practice, you don’t play’ like some other coaches:

“My rule is I am going to treat every [situation] case by case.”

On if he has received anything from the NFL about sideline etiquette for coaches following the incident involving S Ronnie Harrison Jr. and a Chiefs assistant coach:

“There was a memo that went out to the entire league just reminding people and staff members of how you have to conduct yourself on the sideline.”

On if he or the Browns are predisposed to wanting to go for it on fourth down:

“I am predisposed to trying to make sure I give our guys a chance to succeed. Whatever the situation calls for, we want to put them in a good position to succeed.”

On who is involved in the decision to go for it on fourth down:

“Ultimately, it is my decision. We have a group that gets together Friday morning and talks about all of the things that might come up from a game management standpoint. We talk about what we want our chart to look like on fourth-and-1. Then we have discussion throughout the game, but ultimately, I make the call.”

On a statistic saying NFL teams went for it on fourth down for the most times ever during Week 1 and if there is a reason to it or is circumstantial:

“I do not know. I pay attention to the trends around the league obviously. It is the risk-reward. Defensively if you stop them, you get the rock right away. We will see how it plays out this week. We just want to make sure that we as coaches are calling the game that is called for.”

On if he will announce who will start at LT on Sunday:

“I am not, but you can ask (laughter).”

On if the Browns potentially have to adjust the gameplan if Wills is not available at LT:

“You see who is available to you on gameday, and you make a ton of decisions based on that. That is really across the board. I can think of certain scenarios where we did not have a starter in there on defense and we did a little bit less of this or a little bit more of that. That is the natural thing to do when you have a guy playing maybe out of position or sometimes you have a guy playing for the first time. All of those things go into how you construct a game plan.”

On LT potentially requiring more adjustments than other positions when changing personnel:

“I do not know.”

On if he felt the need to talk to P Jamie Gillan after his muffed punt in Week 1:

“He is a pro. We are past it.”

On if fans have approached him in public now that there is more opportunity for interaction than when first receiving the head coaching job:

“Yeah, people love their Brownies. I experience the excitement from our fans. That is one of the reasons why they deserve to watch us play in a full capacity stadium. They did not get that and we as a league we all did not get all of that last year so we are looking forward to them getting that opportunity on Sunday.”

On if older Browns fans have told him ‘win one before I die’:

“Not yet.”

On how WR Anthony Schwartz settled in during his NFL debut:

“I thought he did a nice job. So much of it for rookies is knowing what to do, and I think we are really fortunate with Anthony is he is verym very smart. We knew that, It was part of the reason we drafted him quite honestly. The ability to play all over the formation, get lined up, all of the nuance and all of the details that go into winning vs. man, he did a nice job.”

On WR Jarvis Landry saying Schwartz had a ‘nearly perfect game mentally’ and how rare that is from a young player:

“It is pretty rare. I think of (WR) Donovan Peoples-Jones last year who played a very similar role for us. You kind of forgot that kid is a rookie. You do not see that very often.”

On the challenges the Texans offense presents:

“They have good players, and it is a good scheme. It is a huge challenge for our defense. I think this is a team that wants to run the ball and they have the guys to do it so we will have to stop the run. I think their offensive line is big, they can move people, the quarterback is under center, he is in the pistol, they have a variety of runs, they have RPO’s and some of the Baltimore Ravens stuff shows up with (Texans Head) Coach (David) Culley’s past so it is a huge challenge.”

On if Peoples-Jones helped the team in Week 1 despite only having one catch:

“Absolutely, and that is not surprising. Those games and how much you touch the ball just varies week to week, but think about that one touch and how big it was. It was a third down where we needed it. We were in a two-minute drive. It was good coverage by them, and he makes a strong catch. We are going to call on him. We are going to need him to make plays for us.”

On S Grant Delpit not being listed on the injury report and if that indicates the team expects Delpit to take his first NFL snaps on Sunday:

“Yes.”

On what Delpit has shown in practice:

“We brought him back on a pitch count throughout the week and then did more and did a nice job. He is locked in mentally and looking forward to getting him out there.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Ski Presser from 9/20/21

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters Monday during a video conference.

Opening statement:

“On the injury front, (WR) Jarvis (Landry) has an MCL sprain. He will be week to week. (LB Sione) Takitaki has a hamstring strain. He is week to week. Hub (T Chris Hubbard) is improving, but he remains week to week.

“With yesterday – we kind of talked about it after the game – always good to get a win. There is plenty for us to clean up. There are plenty of corrections to be made. That is what the guys are working hard on today and making those corrections so we can go out this week and play better football against a 1-1 Chicago Bears team coming to our place.”

On if the Browns will be able to avoid placing Landry on injured reserve with an expectation for return in three weeks or sooner:

“We will see. We will work through all of those type of decisions over the next few days. We will see.”

On if Landry’s injury could expedite WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s return and if WR Davion Davis will be elevated to the active roster:

“The Odell situation is really not dependent on the availability of anybody else. We will again continue to bring him along and see when he is ready to go. Davion Davis, I do not really have an update there on that one.”

On if there is an update on T Jedrick Wills Jr.’s status after starting but not finishing yesterday’s game:

“He is no worse for the wear. I am really proud of him for how he responded, wanted to go out there and competed. Like I said, he got stiff, and I thought it was the right thing to do to take him out. That is a big deal, and I think his teammates recognize that is a big deal when you fight to make it to Sunday.”

On if the team is ruling Landry out for Sunday’s game against the Bears, given he characterized Landry’s status as week to week:

“I will just hold off on any of those type of decisions. I will just tell you we are working through all of those things.”

On how Landry will handle the injury situation, given Landry is not a player who has missed much time at all during his career:

“I have already spoken to him. He is attacking his rehab as you can imagine. Nobody likes to be injured, but going back to the statement I just made about Jed, these guys are going to fight their rear ends off to get back and battle and compete with their teammates. I think Jarvis will be another example of that.”

On how the Browns offensive gameplan may change if Landry and Beckham are unavailable this week:

“It is whoever is available to you. You move the ball no matter what.”

On if the Browns could use RB Demetric Felton more in the slot if Landry is unable to play:

“We are excited about Demetric. Obviously, we were excited to add him in the sixth round of the draft. He has worked really hard throughout the spring and summer. As you guys have seen, he has been in the running back room and in the wide receiver room. These are the type of things you do with rookies and grow their role based on what they ready to handle. He obviously made a great play for us on that screen and had great individual effort. He has made plays as a returner. It is our jobs to grow their roles. Really, the truth is these guys earn their roles. I think Demetric is doing that.”

On if he has had the opportunity to talk with QB Baker Mayfield today and ask how the left shoulder is feeling:

“I have not had a chance to talk to Baker yet today. I know obviously our training staff has talked to him. He is doing fine. He is sore. He is doing fine.”

On Mayfield’s interception after reviewing the film, including if WR Anthony Schwartz should have been in another position on the play:

“Nothing really to add from what I said yesterday.”

On the Browns WRs in the event Landry and Beckham are unable to play this week:

“We try to put together a gameplan to win that game each week. It is our job to see who is available to us and construct the gameplan accordingly. You mention those two young guys already this season – (WR) Donovan (Peoples-Jones) has made big plays for us and I think about that third down late in the Kansas City Game, and I know Schwartz has made big plays for. If those two are out there, we are going to be counting on them. If someone else is out there, we are going to be counting on them. That is kind of how it works. Really, I would tell you that is my job and that is our job as coaches to make sure we put the guys who we have available to us in the best position to succeed.”

On CB Greg Newsome II’s performance and if Newsome recording a pass defensed in the second half shortly after a defensive pass interference is an example of a rookie growing from experience:

“I think you are going to see examples of these rookies growing throughout the season for sure. That defensive pass interference, that is a tough play. He is in great position – just have to wait for the receiver’s hands to go up and then your hands go up. He is in a good position so that is a good place to start. We kind of teach off of the tape.”

On if the Browns planned to play S Grant Delpit as much as occurred yesterday:

“Yes. We had him on a pitch count. We wanted him to get the first couple of plays under his belt. He did a nice job.”

On evaluating Delpit’s performance on game film and Delpit seeming to make plays on all areas of the film:

“Yeah, he really did. He filled the run there at the end of the first half. Obviously, made a splash play with the sack-fumble late in the game. By and large, he was where he was supposed to be. Was it perfect? No, but that is his first NFL football game. A really good effort for his first time out there.”

On areas of improvement for the pass rush after evaluating yesterday’s game film:

“It is never one thing. It is a combination of rush and coverage when you are talking about those passing situations. There are definitely things we can do better up front. There are definitely things that we can do better in the back end. They go together. That is one of the things that we are going to work very hard on this week to have an improvement in that area because we need to be better on third down.”

On if the Browns are getting enough production in the pass rush from the interior DL:

“I think we need production from anywhere we can get it across the front, whether you are rushing inside or outside. We are always going to have a rush plan based on what we think they are going to do so we will at times move guys around or at times we will do straight rushes from a normal four-down front. We just have to make sure we are using our technique and try to get home. The Texans did a nice job of chipping the edges each time. We just have to stay at it, stay after it and keep working through it and working our techniques and come up with a rush plan.”

On if there are areas on defense in yesterday’s game that need the most attention to improve:

“I think there were some really good moments, and then it is just a matter of you have to get off of the field on third down and you have to find a way. It is always a combination of things. It is never just one thing. That is going to definitely be something that we work on very hard this week and really going forward. Third down is a really important down. It is really important that we get the offense into some non-advantageous third down distances and then get off of the field and force the punt.”

On if the injuries yesterday ‘underscore the fragility of a season’:

“We have talked about it before, injuries, nobody likes them. They are awful. I do not care if it is your team or the other team, you never want to see that ever. Also, it is part of our game. This is a very physical game. You lose Jarvis on the second play of the game, and guys have to step up. That is the nature of this thing. I thought guys stepped up. If he is not available this week, guys have to step up. If we have somebody else who is unavailable, a guy has to step up. That is just the nature of the NFL. That is why you talk about depth being so important because you could be in your depth early. I think back to the Kansas City game, we lose Jed and we lose Hub coming out of that game, and you are in your depth. That is kind of how it works in the NFL.”

On what a ‘Coach Landry’ would mean to the team if Landry is sidelined:

“We will see if we have him or not, but even when Jarvis is playing out there, he is still Coach Landry. He works very hard with those young players and provides great leadership throughout the building.”

On the rotation on the Browns DL and DE Myles Garrett not being on the field for five or six consecutive plays:

“We will roll those guys. It is a long season. These are long games. We have confidence in the other guys so when we waved Myles for instance, we were just looking to have a fresh Myles out there rushing the passer.”

On if there are a set number of snaps for each player on the Browns DL each game:

“We definitely talk through each game what you are targeting for each player and how you think the game is going to unfold. As you can imagine, the game sometimes does not unfold exactly how you thought it might. That is where we have to be great communicators on gameday on both sides of the ball making sure we are aware of where the guys are from a snap count rate.”

On CB Denzel Ward’s performance yesterday:

“I would tell you some good moments and some moments I am sure he wants back. I know I can already see him working the technique that he going to work this week and drill down on it. You go against some pretty good wide receivers. They are going to make a play here and there, and it is really how you respond. Some good moments and definitely some moments that he is going to work real hard on this week.”

On when the team expects to announce Beckham’s status for Sunday, given the team announced it on Wednesday of last week:

“I am on Monday, and I will wait for Wednesday when we get there. We will talk through those things, but I do not have any announcement as it relates to that.”

On if the Browns were specifically targeting Beckham’s return for Week 3 when announcing Beckham was out for Week 2 on Wednesday of last week:

“No. Every is day to day with him, just like you deal with every player and see how they are doing day to day and then week to week. There has been no Week 3 circling on the calendar or anything like that.”

On his philosophy at the end of the half when using timeouts prior to the Texans punt and weighing the risk-reward:

“If you can make them punt, make them punt because the punter might drop the ball, a bad snap or you get a punt blocked potentially. With the time remaining on the clock there, we thought that we could maybe pressure the punter and come out with a big play, and then if it is a punt that you can’t handle as a punt returner, you can also let that thing hit the ground, not get near it and let the half bleed out, if you will.”

On the potential for the Texans to make a mistake in that situation but also considering the Browns could also make a mistake:

“I would say I was not thrilled when I saw the ball on the ground, but I felt like it was an opportunity to be aggressive with our punt rush. They did a nice job of getting the punt off. Like I said, if you can’t field it cleanly as a punt returner, you do not field that ball at all.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
Presser from 9/22

BEREA, Ohio – Browns head coach Kevin Stefanski answered questions from reporters prior to Wednesday’s practice at CrossCountry Mortgage Campus.

Opening statement:

“Good to see everybody. Not practicing today, Jed (LT Jedrick Wills Jr.), (LB Sione) Takitaki and (T) Chris Hubbard. Big week this week with the Bears coming into our place. Two 1-1 football teams. Have a ton of respect for this coaching staff. I know a bunch of their coaches. They are really well-coached. It is a dominant defense. It is a physical defense. They are big. They play strong. (Defensive coordinator) Coach (Sean) Desai is doing a really nice job with that scheme. Offensively, they are going to give you a lot of things and a lot of pre-snap movement. I know you saw the news on the quarterback playing, and he (Bears QB Justin Fields) is a really good player. He is dynamic. He can make plays with his feet and can make plays certainly with his arm. A very productive player from college. At special teams, I think they are a good special teams unit, coached by Coach (Bears special teams coordinator Chris) Tabor. Really looking forward to the challenge and starting that work week with Wednesday’s practice.”

On an update on WR Odell Beckham Jr.’s status for Sunday:

“No update. We will see how he progresses this week, but I expect him to be full go today at practice.”

On if the plan is for Beckham to play Sunday:

“The plan is to practice Wednesday and see how it goes this week, but I am not ruling him out.”

On if this will be the first time Beckham is ‘a full go’ at practice this season:

“I would have to check.”

On QB Baker Mayfield’s tackle last Sunday and it being another indication of Mayfield’s competitiveness:

“Yeah, you guys heard me say it many times, he is a very competitive player. He is a very competitive person. He is fiery. The tackle itself, obviously, we want to get him on the ground without getting hurt so that is a learning lesson obviously. His teammates respond to him, and certainly in moments where he is gutting things out and he is showing his toughness, I think your teammates respond to that.”

On if Mayfield will be a full participant in practice today:

“I will have to see how it goes.”

On what he wants Mayfield to do in the situation of making a tackle following an interception like last Sunday:

“You have to prevent a score. Any quarterback, the way we have taught them is that they have to No. 1 turn the ball back inside – he did that – and then you have to get him on the ground. There are different techniques that you can use. That was kind of an awkward play. I think their defender looked to single him out, which listen, he is trying to get him on the ground so you become defenseless in that moment. We have to get him on the ground, whether it is the quarterback or the receiver or the running back, whomever. If the ball is going the other way, you have to get him on the ground.”

On Mayfield blocking on select plays:

“Sometimes you run those plays, and you are telling the quarterback, ‘Hey, really you just have to get this thing started in case somebody…’ It is not like he is not getting lead blocking tips from (run game coordinator/running backs coach) Stump Mitchell (laughter).”

On if it is a fine line of not taking the competitiveness out of Mayfield but also protecting the starting QB:

“Yes. Yes, we do not want to take the competitiveness out of this but do not foresee him as a lead blocker very often.”

On how to better defend a mobile QB like Fields, given Texans QB Tyrod Taylor’s success in the first half last week:

“We are going to have a challenge this week, like you mentioned. Rush and coverage have to work together. We have to be sticky in coverage, and we have to be true to our rush lanes. Ultimately, when you are in a location to get a player like Justin Fields on the ground or Tyrod Taylor, you have to get him on the ground. It is really not a one-person job; it really takes all 11.”

On evaluating Fields on tape:

“Dynamic. He made plays with his arm. He had a nice throw into the end zone there in one of those drives. Made plays with his feet late. There is no shortage of things they can do with him, and I am sure now with a full week of practice they can expand upon that.”

On if Beckham will have a pitch count on Sunday, if available, given that has been the course of action for other players returning from injury:

“I would have to think back if everybody is on a pitch count. I think we just have to be smart. With any player coming off of an injury, we try to be very mindful of what that player and where he is and then make decisions on a case-by-case basis. Specific to Odell, if he plays in the game, I can’t tell you if there would be a pitch count or not. I really would not know.”

On if WR Rashard Higgins will receive more opportunities with WR Jarvis Landry on injured reserve:

“Like anything, you do not replace Jarvis, but guys have to step up and those opportunities will go elsewhere. It remains to be seen who gets those opportunities, but certainly, you lose a player of Jarvis’s caliber, you have to have guys who step up.”

On Bears LB Khalil Mack often lining up on the right side of the offense and if that is beneficial to have Mack opposite of T Jack Conklin as opposed to Wills, who is recovering from injury:

“(Bears LB) Robert Quinn is a pretty good rusher on the other side. That defense plays right and left. It is something that they have done there for a long time so you have (Bears DT) Akiem Hicks on the right and Khalil Mack on the right. They do a nice job. It is a really good scheme. Coach Desai has been there for a long time under (former NFL coach) Chuck Pagano and (Broncos Head) Coach (Vic) Fangio so you see elements of that. It is Coach Desai’s third game so we would expect to see something that we have not seen to date.”

On what he likes about running 13 personnel:

“It goes back to so much discussion about versatility. I think when you have multiple tight ends on the field, it can be advantageous to the offense to align them in different spots so the defense can’t hear 13 personnel and go through the mental check of it is definitely going to be this formation because it can multiple formations. I think we are fortunate to have guys who can line up in different spots and can excel at different spots.”

On what boost Beckham’s potential return could give the Browns, particularly with Landry on injured reserve:

“We will see how it goes, but Odell has been great out here at practice. He is working really hard. He has a ton of reps between just him and Baker. He has gotten a ton of reps in seven on seven and the team drills. I think the guys recognize that he is a dynamic football player.”

On if the hope and expectation is that that Wills will be able to practice at some point this week:

“I do.”

On what makes Mack so challenging and how much of a factor Mack is to the Bears having a dominant defense:

“He is a huge part of it. Having faced him a bunch of times when I was with the Vikings, just the combination of speed and power, his bend, he plays hard and he is good against the run and good against the pass. He is an outstanding football player.”

On the biggest challenge of practicing in the field house today due to weather:

“We get it done. It is obviously not a 100-yard field. Just kind of close quarters, but we get it done.”

On if patience is required with the Browns defense given the new acquisitions:

“I think certainly with young players you are going to have some growing pains – offense, defense and special teams. Listen, we want to make sure that we are playing good sound defensive football. We have done that at a bunch of moments and then there are some moments that we just have to clean up. We recognize that, and the players and coaches are working hard to make sure that we get better as the season goes on.”

On if too many of the moments that need to be cleaned up happened on third down:

“Yeah, I think that is obvious that we have to do a better job on third down.”

On if the Browns areas for improvement on defense are all based on technique:

“No, it is never one thing, and when you say technique, it sounds like you are saying it was the players fault so that is not the case. We need to do a better job as a team – coaches and players. We just have to do a better job.”

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
I am not putting Ski down at all....most coaches are like that, but there isn't much to learn here except maybe that OBJ is going to be full go at practice.

It's mostly predictable questions with predictable answers.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
Which is what I love about it. It's almost an art form. He speaks to the press in a manner that he talks a lot but tells them nothing.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
... and does it without getting annoyed or sounding absurd. There is always just enough to keep the flow of questions moving without "lifting the hood" for a peek at the motor. Love it.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend

Had to add Myles, I wouldn't wear a shirt either, heck I might not own one.

#gmSTRONG
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Ski Daily Presser.

Link Copied to Clipboard