Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Legend
Legend
There is no possible way we waive LeCounte. His big question, going into the draft, was whether or not he had healed up from the car accident. He showed that he has, and he also showed great ability in the 2 preseason games. If he was waived, he would be claimed, and I would bet by multiple teams.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
P
Legend
Legend
P
That and he is a bit undersized for a cover safety. He seems to play the part well however.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

Priefer also said that Hodge holds a super important position on special teams.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Can DPJ still return kicks? yes.

( D'Ernest Johnson, and the two fullbacks prolly fighting for one spot, on the initial.) - don't fret, a 2nd spot, to bring one more back the day after, after they'll put prolly, Nick Harris and A. Schwartz on the IR-designated.

10 OL, including Harris, because he has to be on the initial, for 24 hours before they can put him on IR-designated, (unless he's healthy, is he healthy?)
2 QB's
3 TE's then,
WR. So, Anthony Schwartz can't play, has a hurt hamstring, which means he'll secure a roster spot; (loopy ) because they can't use him, in the short term, (I'm guessing),

So they can move him 24 hours later to IR- designated.
So 5 WR, only 5 wr, including Schwartz, that means
( Higgins, Hodge, Natson ,) are fighting for 1 spot, and one spot to return 24 hours later, if avail. while they put Schwartz on IR-designated
The Problem is, None of them will clear waivers and we'll lose a good player returning. frown

So that's 24... including Felton as a Rb, 9 healthy OL, but 10 including Nick Harris who will go to Ir,
3 TEs..., 3 (Rbs or Fbs) not named Felton.
and 5 Wr's - ( 4 Wr's not named Schwartz or D.Davis suspended, and not including Felton who = rb).

24 spots for offense, initial day, leaves 1 spot to scour the waiver wire for a TE-4 or healthy CB.

Now a day later, Nick Harris and Anthony Schwartz probably go to the IR-designated for return, leaving 22, which allows the return of 2 spots,
1( A fullback or D'Ernest) or a new guy.
2. ( A receiver Higgins, Hodge, or Natson, or a new guy.)
Still leaving the offense at 24 spots, plus:
+ Davion Davis wr suspended 2 weeks
+ Nick Harris Center, on IR designated to return and
+ Anthony Schwartz WR,on IR designated to return.

2 QB's 9 OL, 3 TEs and a spot to increase to 25, open for anyone they see and like, like a new TE, or a DB or other.

Next, cut the Defense to 25, or 24, or 26.

------------
Cut the defense across the DL to 10. I don't know how they cut the DL to 10 but I think, Curtis Weaver, Porter Gustin, Joe Jackson, Marvin Wilson, Jordan Elliott, and Sheldon day, are fighting for, 3 spots. 6 for 3. Actually 2 spots, if 6 for 2 means they can save both of, and thus the lesser of Higgins and Hodge, or, Natson from trying to clear waivers. It's not going to be easy.

Cut the linebacker to 5, plus 2.) 5 guys not named Jacob Phllips or Tony Fields II. then 24 hours later, Jacob Phillips and Tony Fields II probably will go on IR- designated for return.
But for now, for day initial, 24 hours, that's 7 Lb's and 10 Dl, that is 17.

That leaves 9, 5 cornerbacks, 4 safeties, but 24 hours later after Phillips and Fields go on IR-designated,
(they'll go from 26 defense the initial 53.)
(if they need that to be 25, it's a DL cut to 9 from 10, based on when or if the Offense adds anyone.)

24 hours later, 26 on defense shrinks to 24 on defense with Phillips and Fields on IR=designated, allowing the to bring back one Corner, One Safety, or TE-4, or other combination that totals 2.

And I think 48 hours later after the dust settles, if they still have 10 on DL, they'll try to move one of those to the PS at that point anyway, if they feel they need another Corner,

That's my guess at the initial 53, and then the next 53, and I wouldn't be surprised if there were a new face at up to all 3 of TE-4, and New Safety, and New Cornerback, off of waivers or even trades, before Game ones kickoff.
Just speculating.

L
Legend
Legend
L
LeCounte is making the team. You can count on that!

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
LeCounte is making the team. You can LeCounte on that!

Fixed it for you tongue

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
B
Legend
Legend
B

He should, but this time of year you never know. Stefanski and Berry might decide they need 4 TE's and 2 FB's.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

He should, but this time of year you never know. Stefanski and Berry might decide they need 4 TE's and 2 FB's.

With the way the practice squad rules are now, that's not really as big of an issue. The biggest issue is getting the players you want to the practice squad without them being claimed. You have to keep the guys most likely to get claimed on your 53.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

With the way the practice squad rules are now, that's not really as big of an issue. The biggest issue is getting the players you want to the practice squad without them being claimed. You have to keep the guys most likely to get claimed on your 53.

I would think teams always do that. To me that means they make the team. I wouldn't want to keep anybody on the PS who might not be an attractive waiver claim

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Legend
Legend
P
One of the rules have changed that actually allow you to stash four players on your practice squad that other teams can not poach.

2020 NFL practice squad rules: Everything you need to know

The biggest change to the practice squads this season is the number of players allowed on them. It has increased to 16 players after previously being maxed out at 10. Of the 16 players, six of them can have unlimited years of service time.

The next two rules pertain to teams signing players off other team’s practice squads. Teams can protect four players on their practice squad from signing with other teams if they submit them by the Tuesday before games. The rest of the 12 players are up for grabs, but cannot be signed to another team’s practice squad.

Lastly, practice squad players can be promoted to the 53-man roster twice before they have to go on waivers upon re-joining the practice squad.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/06...-new-york-jets/

There's more information about the practice squad at the link.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I knew they could, but thanks for the details. I didn't recall those.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Analysis: Cuts are coming, so here’s a final prediction of the 53-man roster

https://www.brownszone.com/2021/08/29/an...-53-man-roster/

After a month of practices and three preseason games — all wins — the decisions are due.

Second-year general manager Andrew Berry has until Tuesday at 4 p.m. to cut the roster from 80 to the regular-season limit of 53.

The top of the roster is set, but there’s a degree of uncertainty over the final handful of spots. Berry could also pull off a trade or two if another team calls about someone on the bubble.

The defensive line is the most difficult position to predict. Berry could keep four or five at end and tackle, and there are plenty of contenders for the backup spots.

Injuries also provide a challenge.

A player must be on the roster at the deadline in order to be brought back from injured reserve during the season. The most obvious case is second-year linebacker Jacob Phillips, whose biceps tore this month. If the Browns want to give him a shot to return toward the end of this year, he must occupy one of the 53 roster spots.

Safety Grant Delpit could also head to IR for the minimum three-game stay if he won’t be ready for the opener following a lingering hamstring injury.

Berry might be able to save a couple of spots at the bottom of the roster by cutting vested veterans with the plan of bringing them back. They don’t have to clear waivers and would be eligible to re-sign.

The moves are expected to start Monday, so here’s the final attempt at predicting the 53-man roster.

Of course, it will be tweaked in the days to follow with waiver claims, but we’re aiming for the 53 on the team when the deadline hits Tuesday.

QUARTERBACK (2): Baker Mayfield, Case Keenum

Note: The hope is to re-sign Kyle Lauletta to the 16-man practice squad.

RUNNING BACK (4): Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt, D’Ernest Johnson, Demetric Felton

Note: Felton could count as a receiver, and he’ll also open the year as the No. 1 kick returner.

FULLBACK (1): Andy Janovich

Note: Johnny Stanton IV should return on the practice squad as a fullback/tight end hybrid.

WIDE RECEIVER (6): Odell Beckham Jr., Jarvis Landry, Donovan Peoples-Jones, Rashard Higgins, Anthony Schwartz, KhaDarel Hodge

Notes: Returner JoJo Natson is the odd man out. Hodge could join him, but he carries a lot of value on offense and special teams and had two preseason touchdown catches.

TIGHT END (3): Austin Hooper, David Njoku, Harrison Bryant

Note: Expect a true tight end to end up on the practice squad. Coach Kevin Stefanski won’t want to be caught short-handed.

OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Jedrick Wills Jr., Joel Bitonio, JC Tretter, Wyatt Teller, Jack Conklin, Chris Hubbard, James Hudson III, Nick Harris, Blake Hance

Notes: Hance takes the final spot over Michael Dunn, who’s been out with a back injury. Hubbard could be cut and re-signed to temporarily open a spot.

DEFENSIVE END (4): Myles Garrett, Jadeveon Clowney, Takkarist McKinley, Joe Jackson

Note: Cameron Malveaux or Porter Gustin could stick as a fifth end, but I’m going with five tackles.

DEFENSIVE TACKLE (5): Malik Jackson, Andrew Billings, Jordan Elliott, Tommy Togiai, Malik McDowell

Notes: The Browns can’t afford to expose McDowell to the waiver wire, especially after an impressive performance Sunday night vs. the Falcons. Veteran Sheldon Day might bump Elliott or Togiai, but they’re recent draft picks.

LINEBACKER (6): Anthony Walker Jr., Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, Jacob Phillips, Mack Wilson, Sione Takitaki, Malcolm Smith

Notes: Phillips and his torn biceps will head to injured reserve Wednesday with the hope he can return late in the season. Elijah Lee could then be re-signed. Rookie Tony Fields II makes it to the practice squad after being sidelined for nearly all of camp with a foot injury.

CORNERBACK (6): Denzel Ward, Greg Newsome II, Greedy Williams, Troy Hill, A.J. Green, M.J. Stewart Jr.

Note: Stewart’s ability to play safety earns him a spot.

SAFETY (4): John Johnson III, Grant Delpit, Ronnie Harrison Jr., Richard LeCounte III

Note: Delpit’s hamstring injury could give Sheldrick Redwine or Jovante Moffatt a reprieve.

KICKER (1): Chase McLaughlin

Note: Berry may feel the need to find someone else after McLaughlin badly missed an extra point wide right and missed a 56-yard field goal off the crossbar vs. the Falcons.

PUNTER (1): Jamie Gillan

LONG SNAPPER (1): Charley Hughlett

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
Hubbard could start somewhere with a weaker Oline group. Not so sure cutting him would be good. Sucks to lose Gustin too.

Some other things are iffy BUT no way do we go into game 1 with this kicker.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
Legend
I hope we find a way to keep Michael Dunn as a backup G

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
Hope we can hang on to the WR Davis. He really shined in camp and pre-season. Same goes for running back Kelly. But they'll do fine in the league I'm pretty sure.

Last edited by TrooperDawg; 08/30/21 06:12 AM.
E
Legend
Legend
E
Hodge might get cut but man is that kid good. Just look at that TD catch...that is the rule not the exception. He is big and creates a miss match with slot CBs he is too good to let go as somebody in our division will pick him up and burn us.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
From what I saw this preseason, both #87 and #86 showed reliable hands, the ability to block, athleticism and physicality. Harrison Bryant does not bring those things to the table. I keep one of those guys instead, probably #87.

I also keep Day over Billings.

IMO.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
B
Legend
Legend
B
I thing Billings will get cut. ( or should be)

Does Janovich offer more than Stanton?

Not sure we need a kicker. I don't hold a 56 yard attempt off the crossbar as a bad miss. I must have missed the missed PAT. To me, a missed PAT isn't a reason to go wild and think we need a new kicker.

Franks looks s to be a solid TE addition. If he gets cut, i hope we can get him back.

Just a shout out to a guy who SHOULD make the team, but won't.... rb John Kelly. A team couldn't go wrong if you had to put him in to service and give him the rock.

I did find it interesting that Kelly and Johnson were both playing late against the same competition. Maybe the Browns are getting some sniffs from other teams for Johnson in trade?

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

My undoubtedly incorrect stab at the 53-man roster.

QB- Mayfield, Keenum (2)
RB- Chubb, Hunt, Johnson, Felton (4)
FB- One of Stanton/Janovich-don't care which (1)
WR- Beckham, Landry, Higgins, Peoples-Jones, Schwartz, Natson (6)
TE- Hooper, Njoku, Bryant, Franks (4)
OL- Wills, Bitonio, Tretter, Teller, Conklin, Hubbard, Harris, Hudson, Hance (9)

DE- Garrett, Clowney, McKinley, Gustin (4)
DT- Jackson, Billings, McDowell, Elliot, Togai (5)
LB- Walker, Phillips, JOK, Fields, Takitaki (5)
CB- Ward, Newsome, Williams, Hill, Green, Stewart (6)
S- Johnson, Delpit, Harrison, LeCounte (4)

ST- Houghlett, McLaughlin, Gillan (3)

Players that could flip-flop:
Weaver over Gustin.
Smith or Wilson in place of Takitaki. One might come back once Phillips is placed on IR after roster is set.
Franks is the biggest wild card for me. I could see him not making the team for another LB on the roster. But I really liked his play over the preseason and his hustle.

And in general, I went light on the LB corp. by one player. Based on the packages and LB usage, I think it might not warrant the need to have as many as 6 six like some journalists are projecting. I'd use those rosters spots elsewhere and maybe stash some LB on the practice squad if possible.

One extremely hot take would be a Harrison Bryant cut. I wouldn't be too shocked if it happened.

Tackles are tackles.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Hance shows up no matter where they line him up .. The case for keeping Harris as a center only on the roster ??

Legend
Legend
I believe Phillips will be going on IR. That will open up a roster spot which I would say Wilson.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Pdawg
I believe Phillips will be going on IR. That will open up a roster spot which I would say Wilson.

He will. And we need to keep Phillips on the roster initially in order to (1) make a move and bring another LB back, and (2) possibly bring Phillps back later on in the season.

Tackles are tackles.
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: waterdawg
Hance shows up no matter where they line him up .. The case for keeping Harris as a center only on the roster ??

Agreed. I thought Hance looked better than N Harris. JMO.

I also think Dunn is a lock to make the 53.

C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

Agreed. I thought Hance looked better than N Harris. JMO.

I also think Dunn is a lock to make the 53.

Both Hance and Dunn can play center. I don’t see a reason why Harris should be on the team.

T
Legend
Legend
T

Sure it's simple. Not saying it's one way or the other but it's a simple case.

In 2020 Nick Harris was a top 8 OL on the Browns and the backup Center and nothing has changed.

Evidenced. (Some may not admit or see what I seemed to see, or want to admit it, or totally disagree with my next thought but).

The Backup OL got pushed around in 2 games or more in preseason, including when Hance was in the game. There was a ton of pressure, from the middle vs. the Giants,
The OL even fell in on itself, collapsed during a whole student body right play last night, a run play,
and the one who stumbled was on the inside of that OL, which caused a domino of guys on the ground,
and a dangerous situation where injuries often occur.

I don't think Nick Harris was in on that play, unknown.
But it comes down to,
Ability to anchor, Nick Harris, along with the starters and Lamm and Hubbard, were the top 8 OL, which all showed abilities to play without concerns, in 2020, and nothing has changed.
Everyone else they've tried to prop up, just isn't there yet, whether it's one guy or 15 guys, it's a commonality.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
O
All Pro
All Pro
O
I wonder if Berry will get creative when it comes to Billings. We save no cap space if he is cut, but if we trade him, we save $3M that we can use to resign some of our young players.

But Billings has negative trade value, so we'd have to do some like "Hey Jags, we'll trade Billings and our 2023 5th round pick for your 2022 7th round pick...sound like a deal?"

Not sure what the terms we have to be, but I'd trust Berry to make a good deal.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Is Dunn hurt ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Is Dunn hurt ?

Yes

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Ok , like what is his injury ?

C
Legend
Legend
C
Ok , like what is his injury ?

I think he has a hurt back.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Got it , thanks .. Didn't think he was involved in the Falcons game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
One of the rules have changed that actually allow you to stash four players on your practice squad that other teams can not poach.

2020 NFL practice squad rules: Everything you need to know

The biggest change to the practice squads this season is the number of players allowed on them. It has increased to 16 players after previously being maxed out at 10. Of the 16 players, six of them can have unlimited years of service time.

The next two rules pertain to teams signing players off other team’s practice squads. Teams can protect four players on their practice squad from signing with other teams if they submit them by the Tuesday before games. The rest of the 12 players are up for grabs, but cannot be signed to another team’s practice squad.

Lastly, practice squad players can be promoted to the 53-man roster twice before they have to go on waivers upon re-joining the practice squad.

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2020/09/06...-new-york-jets/

There's more information about the practice squad at the link.

It's rarely discussed if it's different and therefore I always assume, that all of those players on the PS have to clear waivers the first time when the season starts before being signed to the practice squad.

Is that incorrect?

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: OrangeCrush
I wonder if Berry will get creative when it comes to Billings. We save no cap space if he is cut, but if we trade him, we save $3M that we can use to resign some of our young players.

But Billings has negative trade value, so we'd have to do some like "Hey Jags, we'll trade Billings and our 2023 5th round pick for your 2022 7th round pick...sound like a deal?"

Not sure what the terms we have to be, but I'd trust Berry to make a good deal.

One of the attractions of Billings was his supposed run-stopping and block-eating. He was what was allowing us to go "big" if a team wanted to try to maul us, but if he isn't living up to that, we've kinda lost a major capability and we aren't going to match up well with beefier OLines, again.

I agree that if he isn't in the plans, we need to try to trade him - a conditional 7th is better than nothing at all.

I do hope that we're just seeing something that we shouldn't be worried about, though. Like, has he been told to just go easy and not get hurt? Is it just that we're not really scheming anything and we're just seeing the results of that, somehow?

Can we trade him for Sheldon Richardson, lol??

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Lions cut wr Breshard Perriman. Didn't Baker throw him a couple touchdowns in history? Oh well, worth a mention won't amount to anything.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Lions cut wr Breshard Perriman. Didn't Baker throw him a couple touchdowns in history? Oh well, worth a mention won't amount to anything.

I thought Perriman did a pretty good job while here.. We signed him to a contract but once we traded for OBJ, he wanted out.. we let him out.

If we needed him, sure,, I'd think about it.. But we don't.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
B
Legend
Legend
B
Just a comment not necessarily aimed just at you, but doesn't this front office seem vastly superior at bringing in talent across the board over any we have seen in....seems like forever.

I don't know what kind of crystal ball Berry is using, or what sort of tea leaves the people in his support are reading, but it's working!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
It helps that everyone in the organization is on the same page. Andrew Berry knows what Kevin Stefanski wants/needs because they don’t hate each other.

F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
It helps that everyone in the organization is on the same page. Andrew Berry knows what Kevin Stefanski wants/needs because they don’t hate each other.

And there doesn't seem to be any large egos getting in the way worrying about who looks like a star coach or GM.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I’ve read where this group also involves and listens to Depo a lot more than previous groups. His particular specialty is risk assessment, which if you think about it, is what searching for good players is all about. To be non ego driven and also smart… that’s the key.

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt that Depo behind the scenes is a big part of things.

We know that Depo is largely responsible for bringing in Stefanski.

There is no way of knowing for certain, but I am convinced he is also largely responsible for getting Haslam to bring Berry back from Philly.

I am thankful for Haslam listening to Depo and keeping him on board when Dorsey was brought in to replace Sashi. I don't think it's any secret that Dorsey had no use for Depo and Depo would have been gone had Haslam more or less told Dorsey that Depo works for him on special projects.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard