Legend
M
j/c:

Tackles are tackles.
O
Legend
Legend
O
If he were waived he 100% would've been claimed and the FO couldn't have that. He shouldn't be punished for what was reported to be a legit serious personal issue, but I doubt anyone is content with the manner in which he made the roster over some of his colleagues.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
C
Legend
Legend
C

This makes sense for our practice squad. Mullens started games in our offense with the 49ers.

B
Legend
Legend
B
It does.

Maybe it is just me, but I for one would keep 3 qb's on the active unless we protect the QB on the practice squad each week.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c:

Comment:

Answer:

Tackles are tackles.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Bingo. The best team pressures the QB much less than 50% of the time. What happens the rest of the time? Guys are in coverage. If you can cover well that gives extra time for the rushers to get to the QB.

T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

This makes sense for our practice squad. Mullens started games in our offense with the 49ers.

I remember several years ago, when he first spot started for the niners...he looked really good, then he's fallen off since. Hopefully he can get his juice back if we ever need him.

Legend
Legend
Could be... or, maybe it's simply a matter of looking at what avenues are available to you to accomplish the objective and formulating the strategy that makes the best use of what's available. You have two avenues to add players: Draft and Free Agency, and in order to use either, quality players have to be there AND you have to be able to get the ones you want on your roster.

There weren't many young DL in free agency and we missed on all there were (I believe most stayed with their current teams). We landed a few top-end, young DBs, though. The Draft didn't have much DL that was higher value than the DB we got in round 1 and they were gone before we picked, then round 2 was spent snagging JOK when he fell; that means that round 3 was the earliest we could get a DLine and it was a weak class for them.

Also, DLine has a longer shelf life than DB when it comes to dropoff in play as they age. DBs need to be fast and nimble and those attributes decline quickly as you age. DLine just needs power and explosiveness and that can stay with you for a long while.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
L
Legend
Legend
L
and if you don't invest in the front 7, which we really haven't much in comparison, who's going to stop the run, which to me is more dangerous and leads to more issues

Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday. -John Wayne
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: leadtheway
and if you don't invest in the front 7, which we really haven't much in comparison, who's going to stop the run, which to me is more dangerous and leads to more issues

This is probably the area I have the most concern with at this time. Stopping the run.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG
Originally Posted By: leadtheway

This is probably the area I have the most concern with at this time. Stopping the run.

If that is our biggest area of concern then we are doing pretty well.

P
Legend
Legend
P
We are doing pretty well. But maybe you should look at how many times we ave been burned by the run for a long time now. How teams have used it to keep the ball out of our hands and control the clock.

Stopping the run actually is a big area of concern. My hope is that we will use a player like JOK to help in that department with his speed. But if you look at the DL we could certainly use more in the way of run stoppers.

No NFL team has stellar units all over the field. Each team has their weak spots. When you combine the salary cap along with available talent, which as PPE brought up earlier wasn't really strong in either the draft nor the FA signing period at DL talent, it's just the way things work out sometimes.

I love our roster and the talent we have. I'm just not so much of a cheerleader that I can't step back and actually be objective.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Lol.

If we drafted JOK for traditional run-stopping ability, I think we did this all wrong. His main thing is coverage, IMO.

His size could make him a liability taking on OL in the second level. Certainly there will be blitzes where his speed will allow him to make plays, but if there is anything re: run stopping where he will be an asset, it is on the outside......like QB runs or anything ad hoc. Like spying L. Jackson, J.Burrow.

Tackles are tackles.
P
Legend
Legend
P
I actually think we are pretty much in agreement here. When opposing teams try to run up the middle our DL could certainly use some help in that department.

As I said, i think circumstances played into that. By the time the draft dropped down to us, there really wasn't much value at the DL position and there wasn't much out there on the FA market either. So it is what it is.

And as you posted, I doubt JOK is going to do much run stopping up the middle at least on any regular basis. But that doesn't mean I can't "hope". I think he will certainly be used in both a traditional type LB'er role and a SS role. He has the talent to do both well.

#gmstrong
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, our kicker concerns me, Bears just cut Brian Johnson out of Virginia Tech- looked good banging a 54 yd down middle....I'd bring all comers in for a kickoff-- pressure, best guy sticks...
go Browns Have kickoff in stadium!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
Legend
Legend

I think the defense has to be evaluated as a whole and by unit parts.

Billings and Malik Jackson are veteran interior players.

KS mentioned that Malik McDowell can play end.

Myles, Clowney and MM can loop or play inside.

At the second level Walker was brought here to tackle and be the captain. On down and distance Taki and or Wilson can be brought in to support against the run.

JOK will be a blitzer and coverage linebacker.

The backend should not have to cover more than 2.5 seconds on passing downs.

On run base teams we have other options to add to the box including Harrison.

So Woods has many options on down and distance.

M
Legend
Legend
M
I don't think we are.

Quote:
But if you look at the DL we could certainly use more in the way of run stoppers.

I'd look to Anthony Walker* more than JOK in this regard. Also, more so coverage but has size/speed to attack the run game.

*perhaps the most underrated move of 2021, IMO. Kinda surprised it was a one-year deal, but that's the FO way as of late w. veterans.

Tackles are tackles.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Check your messages, I finally saw it and responded.

Guys, we sure have our pick of some kickers- some we know I'd say off the bat- Folk, Pats, just released him....old, but reliable.
Others, Verity out of Balt., Seye Carolina, Seibert, Cinc,, Gonzalez, Ari., Molson, GB, Badgley, LA, and like I mentioned Folk, Pats.....I liked Johnson, Bears Too.

I don't trust a kicker released by 5 teams.....yet, I guess we will be in that boat....GO Browns!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
P
Legend
Legend
P
JOK certainly won't be able to man up against DL players one on one. I think he will be used more to split the gaps. And he's still a bit raw so even that is going to take some time.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Quote:
Stopping the run actually is a big area of concern. My hope is that we will use a player like JOK to help in that department with his speed. But if you look at the DL we could certainly use more in the way of run stoppers.

Quote:
I doubt JOK is going to do much run stopping up the middle at least on any regular basis.

Quote:
JOK certainly won't be able to man up against DL players one on one. I think he will be used more to split the gaps. And he's still a bit raw so even that is going to take some time.

....Ok.

Tackles are tackles.
T
Legend
Legend
T
If I could make the roster better in 3 moves.
Dunn to IR and get Roche from the steelers via the waiver wire.
Jacob Phillips to IR, and bring in Cam Newton as back up quarterback.
If Keenum becomes expendable waive him and bring in "somebody" maybe they are familiar with for 2 weeks;(Maybe JoJo Natson, maybe somebody drummed up.)

Then in 2 weeks when Davion Davis comes off of suspension make a choice between "somebody" and Davion Davis on the active roster.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
How Much did a healthy Jacob Phillips, before the bicep injury, figure in to the Browns plans going into the season?

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, dislike all your moves, especially Cam Newton....Go Browns!!

1st String
1st String
Well Newton could land on a team that has no QB's there really. Like now that Watson could be traded out and Newton could possibly be in Houston if Tyrod Taylor, God love him, does not workout.

April Showers and Easter 2024!
T
Legend
Legend
T
General: season roster, comment:

1-800-cornerback-Oh
Pick up the phone the call is free!
Play it safe! Corner-back-Oh!

800 C-O-R-N-E-R-BACK!

Page 9 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Looking ahead to season roster . . . .

Link Copied to Clipboard