Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
There is much we do not know especially with a guy like Fields

A lot goes into drafting a player. In addition money. Hodge was going to make $2m. Fields will not make that.

Plus Fields has been part of the team since OTA's. So he has been there and they know way more about him than we do.

Berry in the end wants the best 53 and players who they feel will develop.

You can bet this is no knee jerk reaction. They pour over the roster 365.

Nothing I really disagree with there, but you're missing the point. Berry kept "his" guy over others who did a lot more to earn a roster spot. Doesn't matter that they did their due diligence. Fields did not EARN a spot on this team. Hodge aside, (as an offensive player), I would take Day, Redwine, Gustin, and probably Elijah Lee over him.

Look, Berry has been very good overall, and I'm not gonna crucify him over LB#6, but he's not perfect. (Hooper signing looks like a massive overpay, the Takk/Clowney combo is still a big ? as far as reliability). This one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel for the guys that actually earned the spot that was handed to him.

Browns fans are born with it...
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I agree with what you said.

Having said that I actually trust these guys we have running things and I also know that they aren't perfect.

I take issue with letting talent go to keep something that hasn't proven anything to date.

Having said all of that, there is something to be said for setting up the roster in a way for sustained success, and we really haven't a clue about the guys they kept and how they are viewed not for just now but for what I am sure we all hope for, sustained success many of our views will be much more focused once we see all the players AB kept and how time reveals if he was right in what he did or wrong in what he did.

In the end I accept what he has done not because I have to but because I truly trust the man. Most of us get that and it sounds like you do too? We simply don't know what we don't know. Many of these guys will land on the practice squad is my bet, or even on the roster once we put some of our guys on IR.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I'm with you BTTB. Time will tell if it works out, and this FO has earned the benefit of the doubt. But he just seems like a no-brainer for the PS. Who is signing a rookie 6th rounder who hasn't practiced yet to their 53?

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend

I totally get what what you are saying I really do.

However, that is par for the course. When GM's draft a guy they want that guy to be given a full chance.

Personally in regards to Fields I have little to offer.

I did not look closely at his college tape. And, since he has not played there is nothing to add.

I just have to trust Berry and what he sees in him.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
Quote:

A lot goes into drafting a player. In addition money. Hodge was going to make $2m. Fields will not make that.

Plus Fields has been part of the team since OTA's. So he has been there and they know way more about him than we do.

Nothing I really disagree with there, but you're missing the point. Berry kept "his" guy over others who did a lot more to earn a roster spot. Doesn't matter that they did their due diligence. Fields did not EARN a spot on this team. Hodge aside, (as an offensive player), I would take Day, Redwine, Gustin, and probably Elijah Lee over him.

Look, Berry has been very good overall, and I'm not gonna crucify him over LB#6, but he's not perfect. (Hooper signing looks like a massive overpay, the Takk/Clowney combo is still a big ? as far as reliability). This one just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and I feel for the guys that actually earned the spot that was handed to him.

I think with a talented squad - which we have - there is probably a lot more emphasis on identifying, keeping and developing high ceiling guys. Gone are the days when low floor, meh ceiling had a place on the fringes of the 53 man roster. With a much more solid and competent core, keeping 1 or 2 high ceiling, potential bust players is going to be viable. Shoot for the stars.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
Were we worried that Fields would get snatched up by someone before we could get him back?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
j/c...

I won't go the MMQB route and try to figure out which player(s) was cut to the detriment of keeping Fields. However, the LB corps took a big hit when Phillips went down and I think we're trying to build some continuity into a new scheme.

Fields is a plug 'n play backup to JOK if were going to build a scheme around versatile LBs that can stay on the field regardless of situation. He has speed, range and instincts and fits into the "space" game that NFL offenses are trying to exploit.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
Quote:

I think with a talented squad - which we have - there is probably a lot more emphasis on identifying, keeping and developing high ceiling guys. Gone are the days when low floor, meh ceiling had a place on the fringes of the 53 man roster. With a much more solid and competent core, keeping 1 or 2 high ceiling, potential bust players is going to be viable. Shoot for the stars.

I agree, but if totally true, we would have kept Hodge and cut Higgy. Higgy is at his ceiling...a average NFL receiver.

Not that I am complaining we kept Higgy. I understand why we kept him.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
C
Legend
Legend
C
We didn’t get awarded anyone on waivers.

Hodge got claimed by the Lions.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Higgins - as a WR - is significantly more valuable than Hodge...it's not even close.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

"Team Chemistry No Match for Team Biology" (Onion Sports Headline)
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Higgins - as a WR - is significantly more valuable than Hodge...it's not even close.

We just disagree. I think if Hodge played in Higgys spot, he would do just as well, and maybe better. Not to mention Hodge was pretty darn good on special teams.

Anyway, it doesn't matter....Higgy it is...it's not like I am disappointed. I just think Hodge has more upside to his game.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Apparently Stefanski/Berry think otherwise.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: SuperBrown
Apparently Stefanski/Berry think otherwise.

I hope that didn't take you long to figure out...lol

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
McDowell can play inside and out amongst others.

D
Legend
Legend
D
Browns re-sign DE Joe Jackson, place LB Jacob Phillips on IR.

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...injured-reserve

Probably safe to say Joe Jackson and his best girl will be steppin' out tonight.

Last edited by Dave; 09/01/21 05:51 PM. Reason: Sorry, it was a gimme - I had to take it.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen

We just disagree. I think if Hodge played in Higgys spot, he would do just as well, and maybe better. Not to mention Hodge was pretty darn good on special teams.

Anyway, it doesn't matter....Higgy it is...it's not like I am disappointed. I just think Hodge has more upside to his game.

I'm pretty indifferent to the Hodge/Higgins debate. Though Mayfield seems to have much better chemistry with Higgins. Seems clear though that we kept Felton as RB#4 but he will also serve as WR#6 on the depth chart thus filling 2 depth chart slots. Which is how we kept 10 OL, which may or may not hold as we go forward.

yebat' Putin
F
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
F
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I totally get what what you are saying I really do.

However, that is par for the course. When GM's draft a guy they want that guy to be given a full chance.

Personally in regards to Fields I have little to offer.

I did not look closely at his college tape. And, since he has not played there is nothing to add.

I just have to trust Berry and what he sees in him.

I have said for years that lack of continuity hurts franchises.

When the Browns were changing front office people every other year you could count on guys being released from the previous front office regimes that were not great players but had just gotten experience and could have been contributors. Not saying we released pro bowl caliber guys, but it takes all levels of players. No team has 53 great players. Hopefully the 53 we retain are deserving by their play.

Not in any way criticizing Berry as I know he has much more knowledge than I. I don't care how it happens, I just want the tea to win consistently.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Dave

https://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/bro...injured-reserve

Probably safe to say Joe Jackson and his best girl will be steppin' out tonight.

I thought he outplayed Gustin in the preseason. I figured we would add him when he didn't show up on the practice squad.

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dave

There's also the pugilist Joe Jackson.

1. #GMstrong
2. "I'm just trying to be the best Nick I can be." ~ Nick Chubb
3. Forgive me Elf, I didn’t have faith. ~ Tulsa
4. ClemenZa #1
M
Legend
Legend
M

I agree, but if totally true, we would have kept Hodge and cut Higgy. Higgy is at his ceiling...a average NFL receiver.

I can see that, I think Hodge is very good - but I think you can't underestimate the chemistry with Higgins. And you can argue that with time Hodge will get there ... I think the chemistry from rookie camp on is what is special and will always keep Baker to Higgins a bit special.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Higgins was drafted two years before Baker.

I felt like Hodge and Baker had great chemistry last year. Basically every catch Hodge made was a big play.

Either way I don’t think the move is consequential. I would love to see Hodge back next year when our wide receiver depth likely won’t be what it is today.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
No doubt Hodge has more athletic talent than Higgy, but you can't say Baker had more chemistry with Hodge. That is just an untrue statement.

C
Legend
Legend
C
No doubt Hodge has more athletic talent than Higgy, but you can't say Baker had more chemistry with Hodge. That is just an untrue statement.

Unless I missed it I don’t think anyone has said that.

Let’s be clear, I am glad Higgins is on the team and I feel the correct decision was made.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
jc
if Hodge is equal to or slightly better than Higgens you cut Hodge so Baker gets to keep his best friend and keep that team chemistry.

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Higgins has proven that he can play, and well, in every WR position. On a Super Bowl contender, that has a ton of value.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Exactly!!

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: mgh888

I can see that, I think Hodge is very good - but I think you can't underestimate the chemistry with Higgins. And you can argue that with time Hodge will get there ... I think the chemistry from rookie camp on is what is special and will always keep Baker to Higgins a bit special.

I believe in "chemistry" and how it relates to team, but I also think it can be a bit over rated or inflated.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: cfrs15
Higgins was drafted two years before Baker.

I felt like Hodge and Baker had great chemistry last year. Basically every catch Hodge made was a big play.

Either way I don’t think the move is consequential. I would love to see Hodge back next year when our wide receiver depth likely won’t be what it is today.

And that is what is behind my comments. I seriously doubt that both of Landry and OBJ will be on the team next year.

I know we are in a win now mode, but we still need to keep an eye on the future. I don't want to be a one and done type team. I also don't think replacing Higgy with Hodge would have hurt us in the winning now department.

But, what's done is done....Go Browns!

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

Unless I missed it I don’t think anyone has said that.

Let’s be clear, I am glad Higgins is on the team and I feel the correct decision was made.

I think who we kept and who we let go revolves around long term thinking. Berry and Ski are thinking long term and projecting out past this season in the moves they have made now and going back to when Berry and Ski arrived.

They and we need to understand that the back end of the roster is the learning ground for players that we view as the future. They get some snaps here and there and they are coached really hard. From that perspective we truly don't know how these players are progressing. What we do know though is when these guys get to the field they are ready for what ever roll they are given.

We truly have a staff of coaches that are laser focused on player development, and they as a group decide who stays and who goes. There is a ton of projecting that goes on and we just don't know that part. We don't see practice on a day to day bases so there really isn't any insight on our end to declare this player to be better then the other.

In the case of Hodge and Higgins we can see pretty clearly where these guys are because they have been with the team for years now. Because the talent is pretty even Higgins gets the nod because he and Baker truly have great chemistry and in this case it's a simple choice. Higgins is pretty productive and if he had played from the start of last season in the roll he inherited later in the year I think he would have been a 1K receiver. Not bad for a guy that is slow by NFL standards who has a way of getting open at key moments and runs good routes and has the trust of his QB. I think the coaches along with Baker yes Baker decide who stays and who goes.

I to see that the Browns have set the roster up for DPJ to assume the roll of either OBJ or Landry, I don't think will have both OBJ and Landry on the roster to start next season the Browns are clearly developing their replacements. Keep an eye on Swartz and how he develops over the course of the season. He along with DPJ are our future and for sure DPJ's roll is about to get much bigger this season. He has all the signs of being a stud he is taking to coaching and has great hands and is fast to boot.

Landry isn't truly all that fast but he is quick and very savvy OBJ is a stud but he is a bit of a free lancer he and Baker haven't been able to get on the same page I think that will all change this year I think OBJ is going to be a monster for us, will see? OBJ is a very savvy WR with both quickness and top end speed. More often then not guys who try to cover him one on one grab him to slow him down. Once Baker and OBJ get on the same page he will be a monster.

I feel real good about the Browns roster the table is set for us to make a great run at the SB, and the key here is for Baker to be the Baker of the second half with a better weapon named OBJ. The defense should be the kind of Defense I enjoy the most, attacking. QB's aren't going to get a ton of time to dish the ball out and our backend isn't likely to have to lock onto WRers for extended periods of time. Our safeties are going to be focused on creating turnovers and we should see a profound increase in those numbers, both in terms of sacks and in terms of interceptions. I don't think will be all that great against the run because if the offense is who I think they will be teams will have to throw the ball to keep up. Hello Baltimore we got your number.

I am one hell of a happy fan, this is going to be one hell of a ride this season, get the popcorn ready let's all enjoy it.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

The difference between Higgins and Hodge is that Higgins has already proven to be reliable.. Hodge has not.

It appears that we are lined up to make a run at the brass ring... If that's the case, we need proven... Higgins is that.

Still, I was sad to see Hodge go.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

We are on the same page.

Legend
Legend
J/c

I think Baker’s chemistry with Higgy is the main reason he’s here (and why he’s stuck here).

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/c

I think Baker’s chemistry with Higgy is the main reason he’s here (and why he’s stuck here).

That, and he runs good routes and catches almost everything thrown at him.

Tackles are tackles.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: MemphisBrownie
J/c

That, and he runs good routes and catches almost everything thrown at him.

There were two guys, one named Jerry Rice and one Marvin Harrison, that were very much like that. Not the fastest or quickest, but they ran impeccable routes and caught everything that came their way. I'm not saying that Higgins is those guys, but it highlights just how much value there is in those two characteristics; far more so than simply being fast or athletic.

Lastly, there is the value in having that unspoken connection. When a play breaks down, and they most definitely will, there is value in having a ton of confidence that the guy that is out there is going to work his way back to the QB in a manner where they are on the same page. That keeps drives alive.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Good point. One thing I’ve noticed about it … Baker seems to be far more successful throwing back shoulder type throws to Higgins than any other WR

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
T
Legend
Legend
T
J/c

Unless and when I consider that that is Bull. (well "main" reason maybe) wait, NO

because Higgins! was Showing up, before Baker even arrived.
I know it's going back a long way in history, but Higgins! He was making plays with previous Qb's too.

and yeah, he's, he's just gettin better and better since, FREDDIE KITHCENS, ain't apparently holding a grudge against him, and ruining the Browns whole offense by keeping Higgins off the flipping Field! For 90% of the year.

I don't know why, sometimes, it's like I'm sure of something and then, it takes everyone else a ton of time to recognize it.

It's like people don't want to believe their eyes, they just want to believe their preconceived notions.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I"m reading and I am agreeing, Purp.

While I am nodding to what you say, all that I see in my head is Brennan. Certainly can be mentioned in the same breath. Keeping drives alive? He was impressively effective and clutch. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Browns announce initial 53-man roster

Link Copied to Clipboard