Legend
O

Yep Texas just became New Gilead.

Confusion in Texas as ‘Unprecedented’ Abortion Law Takes Effect

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/09/02/us/supreme-court-texas-abortion-law.html

Texas abortion: Biden vows 'whole-of-government' response to new law

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-58424249

What The Texas Abortion Ban Does — And What It Means For Other States

With the U.S. Supreme Court mum, a new law went into effect in Texas that bans abortions after about six weeks of pregnancy. That's well before many women even know they are pregnant.

The law allows private citizens to sue abortion providers and anyone else who helps a woman obtain an abortion — including those who give a woman a ride to a clinic or provide financial assistance to obtain an abortion. Private citizens who bring these suits don't need to show any connection to those they are suing.

The law makes no exceptions for cases involving rape or incest.

Here's why the law is one of the strictest abortion bans in the country.

What does the Texas law prohibit?

It bans abortion as soon as cardiac activity is detectable. That's around six weeks, which is before a lot of people know that they're pregnant. Other states have tried to do this, but those laws have been challenged by abortion-rights groups and blocked by federal courts again and again.

How is this law different from other states' efforts?

Groups who oppose abortion rights have pushed for this Texas law, hoping that it will be harder for federal courts to knock it down. Instead of requiring public officials to enforce the law, this law allows individuals to bring civil lawsuits against abortion providers or anyone else found to "aid or abet" illegal abortions.

This law empowers individuals to enforce an abortion ban. How would that work in practice?

Anyone who successfully sues an abortion provider under this law could be awarded at least $10,000. And to prepare for that, Texas Right to Life has set up what it calls a "whistleblower" website where people can submit anonymous tips about anyone they believe to be violating the law.

"These lawsuits are not against the women," says John Seago with Texas Right to Life. "The lawsuits would be against the individuals making money off of the abortion, the abortion industry itself. So this is not spy on your neighbor and see if they're having an abortion."

In a federal lawsuit challenging this, a coalition of abortion providers and reproductive rights groups said the law "places a bounty on people who provide or aid abortions, inviting random strangers to sue them."

What does the law mean for patients and abortion providers?

Dr. Bhavik Kumar, a family medicine doctor who works for Planned Parenthood in Houston, says the law creating a lot of uncertainty for patients and providers. But Kumar insists he will comply.

The ban, though, will likely mean a lot of questions from patients about how they can get an abortion outside of Texas, Kumar said.

"I know that there are many people who don't have to ability to make it out of state ... The logistics and ability to do so is not an option for them," he said. "So I'm really concerned about what's going to happen to people."

Dr. Ghazaleh Moayedi, an OB/GYN, told NPR over the weekend that patients are apprehensive. "They understand that the abortion that they're having this week, last week, the week before, is something that they wouldn't be able to have next week. They've been asking about it and asking, you know, 'If I were here in September, would I be able to get this?' "

What does this mean for abortion laws in other states?

If the federal courts ultimately allow this law to stand, it's very likely that other conservative states will move to pass similar laws. Seago, with Texas Right to Life, said his organization is working with activists in multiple states who are eager to replicate this model if it succeeds in blocking access to most abortions in Texas.

"It is still a bit untested. We're still working on what these lawsuits are going to look like if the industry decides to break the law," Seago said. "So it is a new model that we're still testing out."

What happens next?

Multiple court challenges to the law are underway, including several lawsuits in state court in Texas targeting anti-abortion-rights groups including Texas Right to Life. Abortion rights groups are also organizing protests and demonstrations in Texas in opposition to the law.

A spokeswoman for Texas Right to Life told NPR that no lawsuits against abortion providers are imminent, and abortion providers say they will comply with the law as long as it is in effect.

https://www.npr.org/2021/09/01/1033202132/texas-abortion-ban-what-happens-next

GOPer snakes in the grass.

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/03/21 01:04 AM.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Whether you are pro choice or anti abotion what they are doing is abhorrent.

Change the issue. Imagine Dems in NY passing a similar law about guns. You can only own a gun if fully loaded it can hold no more than 2 bullits and can shoot no further than 20 feet. And if you do, anyone in the nation can sue you.

The outrage has nothing to do with the issue itself but with what they are doing and how.

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
D
Legend
Legend
D
That headline is just a flat out lie. I think they should abolish abortion and still think this law is BS but that headline is a simply a FLAT OUT LIE!

IMO you made your choice when u spread your legs but the laws the law and 6 weeks to make a choice from conception is BS IMO but in no way shape or form does this law attempt to end Roe v Wade!

Just another intellectually dishonest post! If u had a conscience you’d be ashamed of yourself!

Legend
Legend
There is a older more terrifying reality that is going on in this country. Babies are being slaughtered every single day in this country and some people believe thats perfectly fine.
notallthere notallthere notallthere

I AM ALWAYS RIGHT... except when I am wrong.
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Not babies. Cell clumps. Man we’ve been over this sooooooo many times. High school biology must have been so hard for you.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
Good. It's about time we started to address the mass murder of humans.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Do you mourn for chickens every time you crack an egg?

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I see three pearl clutching old men commenting on this thread. Each one a proponent of war… where humans are actually slaughtered. Laughable.
The coat hanger business should pick up in Texas/Gilead. That’ll make them happy.

[Linked Image]
B
Legend
Legend
B
LOL...yeah, that's it.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good for Texas. Abortion is murder.

Romans 10:9 "That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and believe in thy heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved."
Legend
Legend
i give this law til about 2024 before its removed.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
If it stays intact I give Texas 16 to 18 years before their crime rates skyrocket.
Read Freakonomics. It’s pretty well laid out in that book.

Good luck Texas/Gilead. Under his eye.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
A way to help.
Clog Gilead’s Orwellian ‘tell on your neighbor’ line.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
I'll never understand why the Government needs to stick their nose in this.. we have no business legislating a womans body..

But if you are going to do it, when are they going to hold the baby daddy accountable?

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Damanshot

But if you are going to do it, when are they going to hold the baby daddy accountable?

Loaded question... There are a lot of "baby daddies" wondering why they should be accountable for anything if they are not even made part of "the choice".

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Oh if men got pregnant they’d have the morning after pill in BBQ, Cool Ranch, and beer flavor. Abortion clinics would be on every block.

It’s filthy dirty women spreading their legs that’s the issue. Not the men that crawl between said legs. Get with the program.

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: FATE

Loaded question... There are a lot of "baby daddies" wondering why they should be accountable for anything if they are not even made part of "the choice".

They wouldn’t be baby daddies if their female partner made ‘the choice’. Not sure what you’re getting at?

[Linked Image]
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'll never understand why the Government needs to stick their nose in this.. we have no business legislating a womans body..

I think the whole crux of the argument is when it ceases to become one person's body and starts becoming someone else's.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Originally Posted By: FATE

They wouldn’t be baby daddies if their female partner made ‘the choice’. Not sure what you’re getting at?

Just passing on the narrative that's been repeated a lot the past decade or so...

There are many men that have an opinion as follows: "That's all well and good -- 'her body' -- but if I don't want a baby and she decides to go forward and have the baby, why should I have to pay child support?"

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
Legend
Legend
The best form of birth control is abstinence.

I wonder how popular this law will be when women say "no" every single time? I can see it now- gals in mini skirts and cowgirl boots wearing chastity belts to which only they have the keys.

Birth control... Medieval-style.
Ain't no school like Old School.
But hey- NO MORE ABORTIONS , right? Got what you wanted, right?

Fun times in TX, eh?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
Not babies. Cell clumps. Man we’ve been over this sooooooo many times. High school biology must have been so hard for you.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Clemdawg

I wonder how popular this law will be when women say "no" every single time? I can see it now- gals in mini skirts and cowgirl boots wearing chastity belts to which only they have the keys.

Fun times in TX, eh?

yo. these right wing incels were already whining their asses off about not getting any women. boy they about to be extra salty now.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
J/C

This is obviously a wedge issue, and is often oversimplified by either division. It is also one of - if not the most - touchy topics in modern politics. It has caused single-issue voters to appear on both sides of the aisle.

To start, I think a lot of people are off in what their assumption of Roe v. Wade actually is. Roe did not "legalize" abortion, but it stated that there is a Constitutional right to have an abortion under a woman's right to privacy, depending on the phase of her pregnancy. With the Supreme Court making a Constitutional interpretation in the ruling, the only way around it is either to pass an Amendment, or to get the Supreme Court to overrule or limit its previous interpretations.

I should put a suit of armor on before saying this, but, personally, I am not in favor of abortion. There are too many personal things I have seen and experienced that have driven that belief, that I won't go into here. That being said, I depart from the overarching Republican paradigm.

My issue with the Republican stance is that it is dogmatic, and Abbott certainly falls in line with that notion. My biggest problem is basically the stance that they uphold a moral high ground of being pro-life while also advocating for fiscal policies that contrast with that advocacy.

Basically, "Can I get an abortion?"

"No."

"Will you advocate for me to have the fiscal resources available to help raise the child?"

"Also no."

So, while I am not in favor of abortion, I absolutely think that there needs to be a cultural and economic shift to support mothers and children in those scenarios.

I think the other thing that needs to happen is that people need to recognize their own absolutism and destructive tendencies when this topic arises and actually try to have a meaningful conversation. With this being a wedge issue, politicians on both sides of the aisle stoke the flames of anger and irrationality to gain supporters and single issue voters, to the point where people almost completely overlook the need to hold their respective politicians accountable on other platforms.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
sure.

but if the first thing people bring up is their religious beliefs, its pretty hard to have any sort of meaningful dialogue. cause at that point i have to argue with people who can always just fall back on "Cause my god said..."

what am i supposed to do with that?

- Theodore Roosevelt
O
Legend
Legend
O
Well said.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
The law allows private citizens to sue abortion providers and anyone else who helps a woman obtain an abortion — including those who give a woman a ride to a clinic or provide financial assistance to obtain an abortion. Private citizens who bring these suits don't need to show any connection to those they are suing.

I think the law is will be ultimately declared unconstitutional as a third party has no standing to make a claim against the woman. No harm is being done to the party bringing the suit, unless that was the partner.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Under this archaic law would a gas station attendant be culpable for filling the tank of a vehicle where the driver was about to drive over the border to have an abortion? I mean they assisted right? Without that gas she wouldn’t make it to the clinic. Jail time for all gas station attendants!!!

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Putting aside my feelings on abortion for a moment... this law is stupid for the reason you're describing right now.

I feel like Texas is putting together a challenge to Florida for craziest state.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
You can't. Just like we see in the COVID thread, you're not always going to be able to have a productive conversation with everyone.

Regardless of whether there is a religious element or not, I think it comes down to even just being able to have a dialogue and possessing some form of empathy rather than trying to beat the other side over the head with a stick.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I wholeheartedly agree with that.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Swish

2024 is an odd choice for a random date... what else is happening in 2024?...

Nah, this needs to go now.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Good. It's about time we started to address the mass murder of humans.

Then stop whining about government programs for the poor. If you're going to force them to have children stop lying.

Your claim is you're pro life. But the truth is you're only pro birth. After they're born you don't give a damn they live in poverty. I mean raising the minimum wage to a livable wage might mean a better life for them but we can't have that, right?

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
I'd say those daddies that want a choice got it when they mounted the girl. They need to man the eff up and pay for the kid. Period.

P
Legend
Legend
P
It's rather odd how we don't see the same people blaming women for the pregnancy promoting castration for dead beat dads. Things that make you go hmmm.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O

Fun times in TX, eh?

yo. these right wing incels were already whining their asses off about not getting any women. boy they about to be extra salty now.

Yep. Ladies in Texas just need to let 'em all know, "Ain't nobody hittin' nothin' 'round here 'til that law is gone. Yippee Ki Yi Aye Texas."

Last edited by OldColdDawg; 09/03/21 02:57 PM.

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Oh I’m totally for mandated vasectomies for every 13 year old boy. They can have the plumbing turned back in when they’re ready. It’d completely stop unwanted pregnancies. 99.99% fail proof.

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Sure, that has a chance... lmao

P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg

Fun times in TX, eh?

Yep. Ladies in Texas just need to let 'em all know, "Ain't nobody hittin' nothin' 'round here 'til that law is gone. Yippee Ki Yi Aye Texas."

But they won’t. Then they’ll be outraged when they’re forced to carry an unwanted pregnancy. Then they’ll vote for another authoritarian Republican idiot for state office. Rinse repeat.
Texas is set to feed the cannon fodder poor for our next big war. Just give it 18 years.

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

Well, Abbott could lose the governorship in 2023, maybe that's why he chose 2024...

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

So does abortion poke

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Palus Politicus Texas Abortion Law attempt to end Roe

Link Copied to Clipboard