Print Thread
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Being somewhat 'oldschool', it's my opinion that if the Browns are going to win a championship, it will be up to the strength of our defense to lead the way.

Given the moves the Browns management have made during this off season, they are viewing the needs for team success much as I do.
A majority of the upgrades have been on the defensive side of the ball.

Now it's up to the defense to show up and perform, especially at those critical times when a key defensive stop will ice the game for the Browns.

Improved defense and the quality of the Browns' depth will be major keys if the Browns compete for the big prize.

jmo, mac

Last edited by mac; 09/03/21 04:42 PM.

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
T
Legend
Legend
T
They are going to need a super defensive performance to beat the chiefs.

Legend
Legend
That applies to any team that plays the Chiefs.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend

First they had to build the protection of Baker.

Then they had to fix Baker. Get his feet to work with his eyes. AVP had a plan. Baker worked the plan.

This off season was used to build the defense. Free agency and then the draft.

Once OTA's began and all through the camp. The defense was worked on. All the new players were fit in and they worked through technique and execution.

Injuries may have slowed down on field practice. However, classroom and playbook. I am sure got plenty of work.

What will help are the veterans at each level. The line will be fine.

Walker is a big add to second level. He will help JOK and who else is in there.

JJ3 is the key add to the secondary. He will keep the last line in place. Very vocal guy who really knows what offenses are trying to do.

Yes. It is the defense that will complete the team.

Post season is about slowing down great quarterbacks and top offenses.

T
Legend
Legend
T
JJ3 is an addition but Terrence Mitchell is no longer here.
like someone said, putting all their eggs in the Delpit and Greedy basket for the year after they put all their eggs in the Delpit and Greedy basket last year.

This year, Terrence Mitchell isn't waiting to bale/bail them out.
It could be a Rude Awakening.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
JMHO, your statement is baloney. The front office brought in several DBs and Safeties. We went MAINLY D this year in the off-season, but added key O pieces too. OBJ back, DPJ isn't a 6th rd anymore, Schwartz and Felton are good adds- especially Schwartz with is scary speed.

Our D must perform, yet, something not mentioned much is the game of KEEP AWAY. We need to shorten the game by scoring on long time consuming drives...scoring TDs not FGs. If we stay close and eat clock I'll be real happy.
Go Browns!!!

"You've never lived till you've almost died, life has a flavor the protected will never know" A vet or cop
D
All Pro
All Pro
D
Delpit was IR and Greedy we knew it was gonna be a big part of the season.
This year they are healthy dealing with some dings and such but they are counted on as we GO INTO THE SEASON. Not the way we depended on them last year !
Your statement makes no sense to me.

You dont have to win every game just the next one!
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
They are going to need a super defensive performance to beat the chiefs.

The Chiefs offense is experienced, running Andy Reids offense for several years and the Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo in his 3rd season.

The Browns offense is not going to be a surprise to the Chiefs after facing the Browns in the playoffs last season. The only "unknown" will be the Browns defense with all the changes on that side of the ball.

The Browns defense will be in good position to surprise a few teams, especially early in the season.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Tampa showed how to beat KC. It is not a mystery anymore. Now doing it is another story.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Legend
Legend

Terrance Mitchell has mostly been a career backup corner.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
JJ3 is an addition but Terrence Mitchell is no longer here.
like someone said, putting all their eggs in the Delpit and Greedy basket for the year after they put all their eggs in the Delpit and Greedy basket last year.

This year, Terrence Mitchell isn't waiting to bale/bail them out.
It could be a Rude Awakening.

Geez, am I going to have to put you back on iggy?

We are going to be just fine FFS!

P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't think KC "knows the Browns offense". Last year was year one of Stefanski installing his offense. If preseason is any indication we'll see much more variety in the plays than we saw last year. He dialed up a lot of things in preseason I never saw last season.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T
Defense still wins championships

After your offense gets you there

And then After your offense exposes the other teams defense by beating them

Then Defense can win championships.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Don't be indecisive.
I won't embrace a bad situation that is recognizeably so.

T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Balance" generally wins championships.

YOu can't have an offense that doesn't score points and expect to win in this league. It's not sustainable.

You also can't have a defense that can't stop anyone either and expect to win either.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say "Balance" generally wins championships.

I can't disagree that a 'balance' that ranks an offense and defense near the top of the league would put a franchise in the best position to win a Super Bowl.

Quote:
YOu can't have an offense that doesn't score points and expect to win in this league. It's not sustainable.

You also can't have a defense that can't stop anyone either and expect to win either.

The Browns have experienced both a deficient offense and/or a deficient defense over the past 20 years.

The offense should perform better in year two of the SKI O and if the judgement of management is correct, (hopefully) the defensive players brought in and those drafted will live up to the hype.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
j/c

The Browns offense is ready to win a championship now. The question mark is the defense ready?

If the defense performs at a top 15 level in three categories we get the whole enchilada.

Points allowed
Turnovers
3rd down stops

Legend
Legend

I agree quard.

But I will say my personal expectations for this defense is higher.

The defense is way faster than it was last year.

Last year the overall defensive ranking was 17th.

https://dawgpounddaily.com/2021/05/21/cleveland-browns-named-3rd-best-defense-recent-ranking/

IMO we will at least top ten.

E
Legend
Legend
E
been saying last several years that D and running game are dead as all the experts have been saying. I've been saying BS!!!
All teams are looking to bolster their D and run game. Necessary to have.
We will be proof of that. Chiefs lost the SB due to a lack of D and they will lose against us also due to a lack in D.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Precisely tab

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I think QB quality has a large say, but defense is definitely an underrated part of the winning formula. I looked at ranks (by points allowed) for the last 10 SB champs, and they've all been top 10, save 2. Strangely enough, those 2 were among the weakest QBs to win it (Flacco - 12th), and Eli (25th).

So I guess the key to these next 2 seasons may be whether we can field a top10 D.

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
Or . . .

A) Get yourself off the field;

B) Do not break!; and,

C)Change the game with takeaways. Want to add for this year, have a scoring defense for a change. The talent we have to attack with pass rush and force some interceptions, strip sacks, and forced fumbles ought to put up points. The best offense will have its off day or so. Then it is all on the defense. We can be about fifth or sixth if we work hard and stay healthy.

Really want to see our defense force their will on a game as opposed to seeing the offense need to carry them. Go, Browns!

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think as long as the offense doesn't take any massive steps back, the defense needs to simply NOT LOSE games. They really only need to play complimentary football. IMO, I think that comes in a bend-don't-break style of play in the beginning of games. If the O can put up early points while the D chips in with some big plays (sacks/stops leading to punts) or even takeaways, then that sets this D up to really cut loose and have some fun in second halves when opposition begins to get 1-dimensional.

I think we're building more of an opportunistic D vs a complete shutdown D because of the makeup of our Dline (some strong pieces, but not game-breaking-dominant), our LB corps (serviceable).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
You make some great points here, with a but?

Joe has said it and when you stand back and think for a moment the NFL and the rules they have instituted point to huge numbers for offenses. Throwing the ball and going after chuck plays.

That said the defenses are IMO left with 2 modes of operation. Pressure a QB as much as humanly possible and take chances on the backend to create turnovers. Make the offense grind out the points they do get and hold your breath as the game moves along hoping you get that big play turnover while taking chances, that is why I believe the emphasis is on versatility and speed?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
OOBER,
Maybe you're right. I'm just pointing out facts that 8/10 most recent SB winners had top10 defenses in points allowed. Lots of things go into that in addition to defensive play though...competition quality, pressure put on opponents when your offense is very good (and you play from ahead a lot), etc.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
jc...

Have the Browns found the defensive players who will rise to those critical moments in a game that ensures a Browns win?

Been a whole bunch of hype about the Browns defense but not much evidence that they will live up to expectations.

It is "show me time"...

Legend
Legend
Quote:
Being somewhat 'oldschool', it's my opinion that if the Browns are going to win a championship, it will be up to the strength of our defense to lead the way.

Of course it's hard to win a chip if you can't stop anybody but I doubt we will ever see a defense like the great "oldschool" ones that gave up 12 ppg.. too many rule changes to aid the offense for that to happen again.

If you can average giving up 20 ppg now, that is stellar defense. And you still need to be able to outscore the teams that get into the 30s on you... it's going to happen.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

I am excited to watch this guy play in real games.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:

Of course it's hard to win a chip if you can't stop anybody but I doubt we will ever see a defense like the great "oldschool" ones that gave up 12 ppg.. too many rule changes to aid the offense for that to happen again.

If you can average giving up 20 ppg now, that is stellar defense. And you still need to be able to outscore the teams that get into the 30s on you... it's going to happen.

DC I had this conversation with someone today, about the reality of todays NFL.

I know you'll still see defenses that hand their opponent their butt from time to time, but in todays NFL and with some of the QB's we see coming out of college I just don't see how you shut these teams down.

I think the Browns defense we have assembled now as we speak is a great example of what I expect will see more and more of in the near future. You simply can't shut down a well executed offense what you can do though is hurry that offense with quick pressure and with speed and more speed on the backend. That means to a degree that you are almost giving up on stopping the run and counting on your offense to pressure the opponent to have to throw the ball.

Listen to Joe Woods what I am saying he has said in a way. Our defense is focused on speed and the passing game. Oddly though it gives them the kind of team speed they need to deal with Jackson, when I just did say they sorta have given up on stopping the run. His days of running loose thru our backend are coming to a close he will have to be a passer and that doesn't hold out much chance for him either.

But you made a great point DC, what you said is absolutely true and our defense is the adjustment to the rules and to the offenses we see today.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

Within that context.

We were built to beat teams like Baltimore and the Chiefs.

Berry has added speed to the secondary and linebackers.

And he prioritized the pass rush.

Myles was here. He went after Clowney and Takk like there was no tomorrow.

Defense is now based upon speed guys in space and speed rushers to apply pressure.
===================================================

The brilliance of our offense is based upon the offensive line. Provide protection for the quarterback.

Where we struck gold was Nick Chubb. He is a incredible runner. And as a teammate he brings an attitude of work.

Hunt was a stroke of luck. He was available and we got him.
He is the closet thing to "beast mode" in the game today.

Those two guys in combination along with the OL provides all the balance we need. It sets up play action and the pass game.

Of all the teams right now. We have the formula to beat teams like the Ravens and the Chiefs.

That is no quarantee. But we are built to beat them.
===================================================

When the season ended. As Berry pondered the upcoming year. He had to look at the landscape. He had a playoff team. How can we beat the best teams in the AFC?

He developed a plan. Then implemented the plan.

Here we are today.

Come Sunday. We will find out if the plan works.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
As you know Bone you and I see things identically.

I look at the NFL landscape and I think at this point and I have pondered long and hard on this that anything less then the Lombardi for this team this season will be a let down.

With a defense that was really not very good last year to what we will put on the field come Sunday is a lot to try to project.

That said this team was in the PO last season with a not so good defense by any measure aside from Garret and Ward that is.

You don't have to be a X and O guy to realize that the Browns are truly elite on Offense I mean that is real simple they made the PO last year that speaks for itself, and it is also pretty clear that the reason we did that was because of Baker and Nick. Balance

So fast forward to now this defense underwent a radical transformation this off season we added speed and veteran leadership at all but one level.

There is no way that we don't see improvement, and there is no way heading into every game we play that we don't have a better then even chance of coming out with the W. When I look at this schedule I can honestly say that we probably should win every game we play, and yes I include the Chiefs game we are about to play.

We are in for a ride this season, and more then ever I believe it will end with the Lombardi.

I think the ONLY thing that has stopped the talking heads and a great deal of our own fan base going nuts over this team is they are the Browns, anyone else and we are the team to beat in the SB.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:

See new Tweets
Tweet
MoreForYouCleveland
@MoreForYou_CLE
·
9h
The #Browns might have some of the fastest CBs in the entire league.

Greg Newsome II- 4.38 40 yard dash
Greedy Williams- 4.37 40 yard dash
Denzel Ward- 4.32 40 yard dash

This a great example for the point I'm trying to make...

...is the 40 time of our DBs more impressive to our fans than a Browns DB who makes a game winning tackle?

I believe in doing what ever it takes for the Browns to win the game.

That 40 time is not an advantage if the Browns defense can't make that game winning tackle.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't disagree with you at all, but another poster took this same tweet and put up the 40 times of the DBs that didn't come back from last year. It's a stark difference, and I think that is the key takeaway.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
BTTB,

Be prepared for disappointment, then. Or put another way, I hope you don't gamble. Even the most elite teams in the league in a given year have maybe a 15-20% chance to win the SB. There are too many variables. And as much as you may want to will it into existence, we have not yet proven to be an elite team.

Our offense in 2020 was above average. We finished 14th in points scored in the regular season. But we were way better in the 2nd half when Baker took off, right? Nope. We scored 33.3 points/game in the first 6 contests, and 20.8/game over the last 10. But the bad weather games, and the Jets/Covid game, right? Kind of. Excluding those, we scored 29 pts/game. Outside the top 5 offenses. We were a good offense, but not a great one. Can we be this year? Yeah, sure. But you talk about this like its a done deal.

Defensively, we are an even bigger question. There is the fact that they haven't played a down together yet. We also have 3 elite talents in starting positions which have not been able to stay on the field (Clowney, Ward, Delpit). We have 4 "rookies" which we are counting on to be major contributors (McDowell, JOK, Newsome, Delpit). None of these facts says we will have an elite defense. Certainly not in the first half of the year. The time for fantasizing is over. Now its time for them to actually show us.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Those numbers make for a compelling argument. Thank you for sharing that.

That said, I don't think it's unreasonable for the end of the last year to be used as the floor for expectations this year (for the offense). Returning all the key cogs and getting OBJ back... all with a second (and far more effective) off-season for getting everyone on the same page... there's no reason to set expectations above the best that we saw last year.

-PrplPplEater
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
I agree, we should be looking at a floor of 29 ppg moving forward, barring injury. Says nothing about the D, though. Top 10 would be about 22.5 ppg or less. Last year we gave up 26.1. Are we 4 points better this year? On paper, 100% yes. On paper.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
BTTB,

Be prepared for disappointment, then. Or put another way, I hope you don't gamble. Even the most elite teams in the league in a given year have maybe a 15-20% chance to win the SB. There are too many variables. And as much as you may want to will it into existence, we have not yet proven to be an elite team.

Our offense in 2020 was above average. We finished 14th in points scored in the regular season. But we were way better in the 2nd half when Baker took off, right? Nope. We scored 33.3 points/game in the first 6 contests, and 20.8/game over the last 10. But the bad weather games, and the Jets/Covid game, right? Kind of. Excluding those, we scored 29 pts/game. Outside the top 5 offenses. We were a good offense, but not a great one. Can we be this year? Yeah, sure. But you talk about this like its a done deal.

Defensively, we are an even bigger question. There is the fact that they haven't played a down together yet. We also have 3 elite talents in starting positions which have not been able to stay on the field (Clowney, Ward, Delpit). We have 4 "rookies" which we are counting on to be major contributors (McDowell, JOK, Newsome, Delpit). None of these facts says we will have an elite defense. Certainly not in the first half of the year. The time for fantasizing is over. Now its time for them to actually show us.

And I noticed you ignored my main point here.

That being under the very worst of circumstances this defense will be better then last years version.

Compound that with the fact that this offense carried this team to the PO last year without a lot of help from that defense, a rise to say number 10 on defense and I will take our chances of getting to the big game. All realistically within our reach.

Of course there are countless things that can happen on the way to the dance. Some Browns fans (you) need a good dose of anti battered Browns Syndrome vaccine.

If you want to look for the down side of things, it's easy to find.

Put a few on ice, make a big bowl of popcorn on to pop, we won't decide the outcome here today or any day....................

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
This is from Terry Pluto and wonder if you were one of these gentlemen and I think Terry speaks well for me.

Hey Terry: I’m so excited about this team, but I’m also afraid to get my heart broken again. I’ve been a fan for 60 years. Can you help me get rid of that fear? – Gay Snyder, Big Prairie, Ohio

Hey Terry: I’ve been a fan for 50 years and haven’t seen this much hype since the days of Marty Schottenheimer and Bernie Kosar. I’ve been excited before and been let down many times. Why does this feel different? – Bob Toth, Rossford, Ohio.

Hey Gay & Bob: There are different versions of football “heartbreak.” The Browns going 3-13, 1-15, 0-16 (2015-17) are teams with no heartbeat. The 2019 team (6-10 record), is an example of a team with a much bigger head (and ego) than heart.

I assume you are talking about the Browns of the late 1980s, The Drive and The Fumble. But those teams played with a lot heart. They represented the city well. They were fun to watch. They made Sunday afternoons special. They did everything except go to a Super Bowl.

For a while, I’ve been saying the Browns now remind me of the Browns in the late 1980s. They have a front office/coach/QB combination in place. In the 1980s, it was Ernie Accorsi/Schottenheimer/Kosar. Now, it’s Paul DePodesta and Andrew Berry/Kevin Stefanski/Baker Mayfield.

I’d rather take a chance on some heartbreak and have teams like the 1980s compared to what we watched after that. Take it one game at time, savor the wins...and remember 1-15 and 0-16 wasn’t that long ago.

I will take the heartbreak too, who won't?

I have waited long enough no sticking my toe in the water I am in all the way, it's the only way to be if your a fan, and that is me this year.

I dare to let my hopes and dreams guide me this season because just like Terry said the alternative sucks, so why NOT.

I am 62 and in poor health I have a dream of seeing my Browns win it all before I hit the exit, and I think we have the best chance I have ever seen us have so now is NOT a time to be worried about embarrassing myself because I dared believe.

You stick with your stats I will trust my eyes and yes my heart.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DEFENSE still wins championships...

Link Copied to Clipboard