Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Looks like the union, either officially, or unofficially, is going to get involved.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/3220...t-shoved-player

CLEVELAND -- Cleveland center JC Tretter believes Kansas City assistant coach Greg Lewis should be disciplined by the NFL for his role in a sideline skirmish with Cleveland safety Ronnie Harrison Jr. on Sunday.

Harrison was ejected from Cleveland's 33-29 loss in the first quarter after he forcefully pushed Lewis, who shoved the Browns safety after coming over to help Chiefs running back Clyde Edwards-Helaire.

Tretter, the NFL players' union president, didn't condone Harrison's behavior but said Lewis needs to be held accountable by the league for his actions.

"I expect that the coach gets held to the same standard -- if not a higher standard -- than Ronnie," Tretter said on a Zoom call. "Being the first one in there and being a coach, putting his hands on an opposing player.

"I don't think there's any room for that in this league."

An NFL spokesman said the incident is under review and that Harrison will not be suspended.

It's likely he'll be fined.

After an 11-yard gain, Edwards-Helaire was tackled on Kansas City's sideline by Harrison and linebacker Mack Wilson. With Edwards-Helaire on the ground, Harrison was standing over him and appeared to step on the running back when Lewis, the team's running backs coach, came over and shoved Harrison.

Cleveland's safety fired back with a high shove to Lewis' neck area that knocked his headset askew.

Kansas City's bench was initially called for unsportsmanlike conduct. Following a review, the officials tossed Harrison, the dismissal costing the Browns one of their best defensive players.

Lewis was allowed to stay on the sideline, which didn't sit well with the Browns.

"He should get the same treatment that our players get," said All-Pro defensive end Myles Garrett. "He should be tossed out of the game just like Ronnie."

Whatever transpired, Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said Harrison needed to show better judgment.

"It's the oldest thing in football: The game officials always see the second guy," Stefanski said. "And Ronnie has to show some poise there and not retaliate."

Chiefs coach Andy Reid was not asked about possible discipline for Lewis on Monday. Following the game, he defended his assistant.

"You don't do that on our sideline, you don't do that to our guys, bottom line," he said.

Tretter saw it differently, with both Harrison and Lewis being wrong.

"Obviously, Ronnie can't retaliate," he said. "But we can't have opposing coaches putting their hands on opposing players. We can't have that."

Tretter pointed out that coaches are no longer allowed to go on the field for injuries because of an incident between the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals a few years back. He added the league's emphasis on the taunting rule this season is designed to minimize the chance for retaliation.

Stefanski wasn't pointing fingers, but he doesn't think Harrison intended to step on Edwards-Helaire.

"I do think that any contact that came from Ronnie was incidental,'' Stefanski said. "If you watch the tape, it's pretty obvious that he's getting collisioned as he's trying to get off of their boundary

"But that doesn't excuse him from retaliating. You can't do that. That's something we all know, that the game officials will see the second guy, not the first guy.''

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
Legend
Legend
I don’t disagree w/Harrison’s punishment, but think the coach should get something too

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Tretter is absolutely correct, and I'm glad that Ski & others are coming to bat for Harrison. Yes, he was wrong, but he also got hosed. Big Time.

WE got hosed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Agree with Tretter

SaintDawg™

Football, baseball, basketball, wine, women, walleye
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
We got screwed. If the coach wasnt there none of this would have happened. The coach jumped in where he didnt belong. Thats where the penalty should go

Joe Thomas #73
A
Legend
Legend
A
Originally Posted By: SaintDawg
Agree with Tretter

Me too. I don't know how anyone could NOT agree with him.

Legend
Legend
Absolutely agree.... watching the video back today Harrison got pushed which caused him to step on the running back... then the coach shoved him... Harrison shouldn't have shoved back but that was complete crap that he got thrown out.

<><

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
I don't really think it was "crap he got thrown out". I think his actions called for it. The problem is the sideline coach who pushed him should have endured equal punishment. There is no room in the game for either of their actions and both deserve similar punishments.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Tretter is absolutely correct, and I'm glad that Ski & others are coming to bat for Harrison. Yes, he was wrong, but he also got hosed. Big Time.

WE got hosed.
In the end, we were always going to be 'hosed'. We lost Harrison (our starting safety). IMO, his punishment was fitting. And if they got punished correctly, they'd be down a RB coach. Big whoop. So if all the punishments are done correctly, we're down a starting safety, and they're down a coach who none of us would be able to pick out of a lineup except for this incident. We're still 'hosed'.

So from that (especially someone like Stefanski's) perspective, all we can really dwell on is Harrison's reaction.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I understand standing up for your guys, but I'm surprised at the amount of blatant dishonesty about the situation coming from Reid. By the video its clear as day Ronnie wasn't trying to step on the dude on the ground. For Reid to continue to insinuate that is pretty crappy IMO

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
Not sure why Harrison was ejected. He "shoved" the coach in retaliation for getting shoved. Shoves do not warrant ejection between players (punches thrown do but not the case here). Clearly, he did not stomp the player as that idiot Romo seemed to be indicating. What cause for ejection - oh wait, the idiot in the replay booth, Walt Anderson (hates the Browns).

O
Legend
Legend
O
Admittedly, I don't know the rule(s), but I don't really question a player getting ejected for shoving a coach.

Not holding coaches to at least the same standard is a really REALLY bad idea, though.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Legend
Legend
T
I don't think it matters what anybody says on this topic.
All I care about is how they find a way to beat the Texans, as they are already below 500.

In 2020, the Browns went 2-2 to be at or above 500. for the first time in, (it was like a ton of time) the article had it, either back to 2012, or back to 2007. like 8 years
8 years to be at or above 500.

They need to beat the Texans. This situation will work itself out whichever way it will be an injustice, it always is, my comments can't fix the hurt.
Finding a way to get above 500.

P
Legend
Legend
P
I agree with you on both counts. I would have to think that the standards are different in a player pushing another player. Coaches on the sideline have no protective gear as the players do and are not on the field of play.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Some folks shouldn't be shoved or be shoving. Coaches, refs. Are we treating coaches like refs?

Double standard here. We lose a starter. The booth keeps it confederacy of dunces. Reid knew he needed our safety gone. Lowered my opinion of him. Tretter needs to be right.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
I'm reminded of Joey Porter getting into it with Pacman Jones and drawing a flag in that one playoff game. That whole cluster resulted in the birth of the 'Joey Porter rule'. The difference here is that the incident occurred on the sidelines vs within the boundaries of the playing field.

Now if the argument is that because the incident happened on the sidelines (because the runner was tackled and they came to rest there) which gives the coach a free pass to get into it with an opposing player, then that deserves an expletive-laced response with the biggest eye-roll you can muster.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Good points. We demand coaches be physical, say to pull players apart if there is a melee. But it isn't a license to maul if you are a coach on the sideline. Nobody touches a ref, or an umpire, but they can initiate it if necessary.

Regardless, if a coach decides on this course of action, just as with civil disobedience, nothing ass uses immunity. Stand up for the consequences your actions demand for you. poke

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
I kept re-watching that incident and for the life of me I don't understand how the New York refs missed that..

Harrison needs to control his emotions.. He deserved getting the boot. But the KC coach needed kicked out as well.

Last edited by Damanshot; 09/15/21 09:25 AM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Oooh, he got a warning. I am sure he's shaking, and swearing to change his ways.

What a joke.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 29 Chiefs 33 Tretter Calls For Discipline Against Chiefs Assistant Who Shoved Harrison

Link Copied to Clipboard