Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
RISHUZ,

I'm right there with every word. If that INT happens on 4th down, with Baker just trying to make something happen, no criticism. But that was 1st down. No need to hold the ball so long waiting for an opening. Mark down situational awareness as an area to grow.

Browns fans are born with it...
Legend
Legend
J/c

I had little doubt that we wouldn’t score a TD. I was hoping beyond hope, but figured we wouldn’t. I thought the game was toast after the botched punt. Really, I thought t was over with Chubb’s fumble

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
J/C

In regards to the INT, I think he was definitely throwing it away and his foot got grabbed. Really bad luck

He was NOT throwing it away! Very concerning!

Legend
Legend
Stefanski said even though Baker Mayfield was trying to throw the ball away at the end of the game, he can’t throw a pick in that situation, with 1:09 left and the game on the line.

“He needs to find an incompletion there,’’ Stefanski said.

He said Mayfield played well and had his ups and downs, but must protect the ball in that crucial situation.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
P
Legend
Legend
P
j/c

People have gone frickin' crazy because Baker was hit as he was throwing the ball away. They sound like a child who had his candy taken from them. It's pure insanity.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Baker is plenty good to win games with. Yesterday he proved the Tannenbaums and Bart Scotts of the world right. He can't put the team on his shoulders.

That's your take - It's been your predisposition to judge Baker in the harshest light since he came into the NFL. That's up to you, no problem.

I disagree. He played a good game, was pretty spectacular with his execution for most of the game against a Superbowl favorite ... the throw to Njoku was soft because it was a busted play and who knows what or how Njoku was going to run ... even Romo called that a smart throw to take no chance on an int. The actual interception - you can keep your view and you can see what you want. Fact is this is Baker's first season with the same OC, HC in place. I don't think Baker is a game manager, he's not an Andy Dalton or some average QB that can win a few games but not do it when it matters most ... I've seen more than enough to know he's the best QB we've had since Bernie, his potential is still uncapped and I expect him to grow. I don't blame Baker for a soft D, a fumble or a muffed punt ... all of which were significantly more impactful to the loss than Baker's play.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
O
Legend
Legend
O
The unfair reality is that a good amount of his excellent play on Sunday is overshadowed by his last INT. It sucks, but that's just the reality of the position he plays at the pro level.

That said, he did have a very good game. We kept pace with the most potent offense in the league without a ton of help from our D. The offense can't hand the ball over to the likes of Mahommes late in the game and expect to win, but along the same lines the D has to take the ball away and get the O ahead on possessions.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend

I completely disagree with you.

Let me ask a different question "if" Chubb does not fumble, and Gillan does not drop a snap right to him; and the Browns win.

What is your narrative with Baker's same stats including an int.

I know it is hypothetical.

Baker is no less the player because of that int. I don't care how you look at it. You don't define a player in his fourth year playing the first game of the season.

We don't have a crystal ball. Baker is going to play a lot more football games. His legacy is still to be written.

Mike Tannen-bum is completely wrong. Just like he was with Mark Sanchez and why he has no GM job.

Bart Scott is obviously a Raven homer.

To make your assessment of at this stage is not looking at this in the correct light.

Hang on this year and see what happens.

If Baker fails and is the reason for whatever happens. I will call him out for his failure.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
MGH,

I don't think most of what you said is offbase, although the Njoku throw was just bad. Whatever, it's 1 incompletion. Not a huge deal, other than the timing...he does that in the 1st quarter instead of the 4th, we don't even remember it.

As for the pick, he's just got to keep getting better at deciding when to extend plays, for how long, and when to just take the loss and live another down. He's improved dramatically in that regard from 2018-2019, but it showed up on that pick. 1st down...clock running...if it's not there, move on.

Finally, I would like to say that something I though about while watching the Ravens-Raiders game last night. Baker is SOOO much more efficient and accurate than most QBs. We all know Lamar is a subpar passer, but Carr had so many just awful throws and wasted plays. Baker doesn't do that. It is actually really frustrating to have a guy that is way better than most starting QBs for 57 minutes, but walks away from the game with a L because his mistakes come at the worst time. If he can just play a cleaner, smarter game in those big moments, he'll go from leading a perrenial playoff team to a perrenial SB contender.

Dawg Talker
OP Offline
Dawg Talker
I don't see fingers to point honestly. I think the team wins and loses games if everyone had done a bit more or had played a bit harder or a break had gone the Browns way instead of all going KC's way we walk away the winners.

Still we outplayed them but in a game like this it takes 60 minutes of effort and discipline and focus. I trust the coaches and players on this team I believe they will get this fixed it won't happen again.

The season is just getting started it would have been great to get a win in the can but will fight back 16-1 is still viable............

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Legend
Legend
Judgment is part of that growth for BM though, and for Ski as play caller. We don't need to push it harder say with a 30-yard pass when we need six. Like NBA players chasing three's and missing them way too often, when possessions count even with less scoring.

The first half was magic. The second was a deja vu nightmare. Again. flamingmad

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Will Baker Continue to Grow ?

He could use about 4 more inches to see over the taller Defensive players.

Legend
Legend
How good is Baker?

Stat of the Game:

Baker Mayfield: 0 receptions for 11 yards.

Like Chuck Norris, he doesn't even need a reception to get receiving yards as a receiver.

and, yes, that's for real.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: bonefish

I completely disagree with you.

Let me ask a different question "if" Chubb does not fumble, and Gillan does not drop a snap right to him; and the Browns win.

What is your narrative with Baker's same stats including an int.

I don't think this is the relevant question. The question is can Baker put the team on his shoulders against the best when it matters most. The NFL is all about the QB and the QB playing their best when it matters most. If you can summarize the difference between winning and losing in the NFL to one thing, it's that.

Quote:
Baker is no less the player because of that int. I don't care how you look at it. You don't define a player in his fourth year playing the first game of the season.

I am not defining him as a finished product and even said I hope this narrative changes.

Quote:
We don't have a crystal ball. Baker is going to play a lot more football games. His legacy is still to be written.

I agree but until then this is the reality of where we are at.

Here are some facts. I don't believe these are subjective statements --

--Out of all of Baker's drives, his last two were the worst.

--Baker played better in the beginning of the game than he did at the end.

--Baker had a chance to lead the Browns on a game winning drive and threw an interception.

--In 3+ seasons Baker doesn't have a come from behind win against a quality opponent.

--Jarvis said Baker addressed the team after the game to take ownership of his play at the end of the game.

--The two fumbles were unfortunate and lead to the loss. They don't have anything to do with the way Baker played those last two drives.

And here's an interesting opinion --

Stefanski's offense is very emasculating to a QB. Run heavy and playing from in front a lot, Baker doesn't get much practice to come from behind. Nevertheless he's just a much better quarterback with the lead than when trailing. I don't think the Browns will ever win a Super Bowl unless that changes. Think Jimmy G a couple years ago. One long bomb and he's a Super Bowl champ. He didn't make plays, Mahomes did. Some got it, some don't.

I hope this isn't always the case.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
Baker gets tight with the game on the line and a lot at stake. It started with the short armed throw to Njoku on the previous drive and continued on the last drive. No one in America thought Baker was going to bring the Browns back on that drive and they were right. And there in lies the problem.

I think Baker is a really good QB, maybe even great,, and I am happy to have him. I think he is overly criticized in the media, and I think the Browns need to extend him. The Browns will win a lot of games with Baker and should be a contender for years. But in order to be the last team standing at the end of the year, your QB has to deliver when it matters most. This is the way the NFL works. It doesn't matter how good the rest of your team is or what has happened in the game up to that point. I went back and looked at all of Baker's games since his rookie year. He just really hasn't had a signature come from behind win against a premium opponent. Am I the only one that finds this concerning?

And I'm talking about this through the context of winning Super Bowls, not just winning games. Baker is plenty good to win games with. Yesterday he proved the Tannenbaums and Bart Scotts of the world right. He can't put the team on his shoulders.

The Raiders' Derek Carr threw 2 passes and the Raiders were in Fg position and made a long Field goal. Week 1 MNF, vs. the Ravens. To tie and force OT.
Baker, and the offense the Browns have him in, don't seem to have this in their arsenal. It's either one play broken for the big gain, or it's 6 or more plays.
And on a long field goal the Browns don't feel dominant yet.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Good lord. We're comparing Baker to Derek Carr in an unfavorable light? notallthere

I'll take Baker every day and twice on Sunday over Carr and most other QB's in the NFL.

** 60% completion % with a pick against the Ravens without their #1 CB and what looked like a pretty ordinary D.

Last edited by mgh888; 09/14/21 04:08 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Judgment is part of that growth for BM though, and for Ski as play caller. We don't need to push it harder say with a 30-yard pass when we need six.

Sometimes the best play you can call is the play your opponents least expect.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
In 3+ seasons Baker doesn't have a come from behind win against a quality opponent.

I agree with your overall point that his late-game play is ultimately going to decide his ceiling, but this is specifically false.

Comeback/go-ahead wins vs. quality teams:

1. Ravens#1 in 2018
2. Panthers 2018
3. Bills 2019

Losses:

1. Ravens 2018
2. Rams 2019
3. Seahawks 2019
4. Ravens#2 2020
5. Chiefs 2020
6. Chiefs 2021

I mean, we could say that Ravens#2 doesn't count because he brought his team back multiple times in the 4th quarter...just didn't have the ball last. But leaving qualifiers out, 3-6 seems about right. And the fact that he has had 0 comeback Ws against quality teams in Stefanski's tenure makes it seem worse than it is, but it isn't never.

Legend
Legend

I disagree.

He did have a chance and it ended in a int.

Some credit has to go to the defensive player who tackled him.

Opportunities are a apart of the equation. He has won games late. You do not hand pick against who and the time it happens.

The reality is this is year four game one.

We all what has happened to get to this point.

I don't buy he is better with the lead than trailing.

You just play the game. He is the same quarterback who threw the pass to DPJ to win the Bengal game with 8 seconds left.

IMO you are making a knee jerk reaction on one play.

Aaron Rodgers stunk Sunday. That game will not knock him from the HOF.

You are trying to peg Baker as being a certain type of quarterback. Like those that say "system quarterback or game manager."

Every quarterback is a system quarterback and game manager.

Baker is a young quaterback begining his fourth year. He led the team to the playoffs last year and the team won a playoff game.

His record in college and NFL tell his story.

That single game does not.

H
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
H
He's a hater.

Always has been, always will be. Repeats the same crap over and over again regarding Baker.

Legend
Legend
Always that. Hindsight is a heady thing. Perfect judgment is a certainty. We have killed drives with short runs and dialing up long passes. I would suggest that your best play, most direct play, shortest play, simplest play can also be well recommended depending on down and distance. Conversely, something really exotic on the goal line, though "least expected", may not be what is best for down and distance. Arguments of convenience seem to be available.

We are not done yet. We have some winning to do.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

In addition:

"They claimed Mayfield never will lead a game-winning drive, even though he has 6 in his first 3 seasons.

He had 2 game-winning drives last season in only 3 opportunities.

Critics complain he had no touchdown passes, as if his 321 passing yards played no part in Cleveland’s 4 rushing TDs.

Maybe Mayfield should have thrown that last one away earlier, but one play won’t kill the Browns 2021 playoff run."

P
Legend
Legend
P
I would certainly agree that it works both ways. You can call the predictable play as you seem to suggest and it can work. But when you do this the defense is ready and waiting for that play. Or you can call a far less predictable play which they aren't expecting or prepared for.

It seems to me that we agree either will work and only hindsight when you know how it worked out can you say, "But we should have done X".

#gmstrong
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
j/c

When you have an agenda and it gets smashed.

#facts

Waiting for the day my name will mean something
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: superbowldogg
j/c

When you have an agenda and it gets smashed.

#facts

Apparently #factsdontmatter applies to football too.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
How good is Baker?

Stat of the Game:

Like Chuck Norris, he doesn't even need a reception to get receiving yards as a receiver.

on the final play of the first half of the Browns at Chiefs game in week #1. The Browns threw a pass from their own 42 line of scrimmage, a short screen with blockers out front, it ended up a 47 yard pass downed at the chiefs 11 for a first down, and end of the half.
Part way through the pass, the ball was latteraled from whoever caught it, to Mayfield who then continued running forward and lateraled, iirc, near the end of the play to another, who was downed.

That would provide the 11 yards, and no catch.
If I hadn't remembered that, I would have no idea how it was possible.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
How good is Baker?

Stat of the Game:

on the final play of the first half of the Browns at Chiefs game in week #1. The Browns threw a pass from their own 42 line of scrimmage, a short screen with blockers out front, it ended up a 47 yard pass downed at the chiefs 11 for a first down, and end of the half.
Part way through the pass, the ball was latteraled from whoever caught it, to Mayfield who then continued running forward and lateraled, iirc, near the end of the play to another, who was downed.

That would provide the 11 yards, and no catch.
If I hadn't remembered that, I would have no idea how it was possible.

That play was a successful conversion of a 4th and 31.

How does a league celebrating its 100th season only recognize the 53 most recent championships?

#gmstrong
E
Legend
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: Baker_Dawg
Your posts scare me.
rofl

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

Really.

I don't bother any more to even read.

Have no idea what the point is??

Legend
Legend
'It takes a village': How Browns QB Baker Mayfield remade his body after a disastrous 2019

https://www.espn.com/blog/cleveland-browns/post/_/id/28732

BEREA, Ohio -- Two years ago, on Monday Night Football against the San Francisco 49ers, Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield tried to escape the pocket to heave a pass downfield. But as he lumbered to his right, Nick Bosa easily tracked him from behind to force him into an intentional grounding penalty.

Bosa, an Ohio State alum, then rubbed in the domination, mimicking Mayfield’s famous 2017 flag plant in Ohio Stadium to celebrate the big play. Just as the flag plant following the win over the Buckeyes defined Mayfield’s brash college career at Oklahoma, Bosa’s mocking of it underscored the Browns quarterback’s struggles in 2019.

That season, Mayfield was consistently unable to evade the rush to deliver completions. Though his offensive line was of little help, Mayfield was sacked 40 times, second-most in the AFC. He also threw 21 interceptions. His footwork was a mess, and he couldn’t get set up quickly enough to aim passes at open receivers.

Mayfield knew he needed a change. More specifically, a physical transformation, which would require an overhaul of his offseason regimen and daily eating habits. He said then he felt too slow and too heavy. And, among other reasons, his performance suffered.

A year and a half later, after a drastic recommitment to eating smarter and exercising harder, Mayfield is in the best shape of his career.

He’s reduced his body fat from 18 to 11%. He lost 14 pounds despite adding 4 pounds of muscle, and now weighs 214, which is lighter than what his listed weight was at Oklahoma. He can do almost twice as many pushups in one stint as before (45 from 25). And he’s hit new personal highs in everything from squats to the vertical jump.

His performance on the field has taken a leap as well. Mayfield finished the 2020 season in the top 10 in QBR (65.5) while guiding the Browns to the postseason for the first time since 2002. He cut his interception total down to eight and took only 26 sacks, thanks in part to a far better offensive line.

Cleveland’s opening drive in Sunday’s Week 1 loss to the Kansas City Chiefs -- a game in which he went toe-to-toe with 2019 MVP Patrick Mahomes -- was the most recent example of how far Mayfield has come.

He danced away from an edge rusher to dump off a completion to tight end Austin Hooper; juked through pressure to reel off a 7-yard run; then, rolling left, effortlessly flipped his hips around to deliver a 22-yard strike to Anthony Schwartz across the field on a third down, setting up an eventual Browns touchdown.

The results of his offseason regimen are clear to see. Yet for all the effort he’s put in and discipline he’s maintained, Mayfield didn’t get to this point on his own. Strength coach C.J. McFarland, nutritionist Angie Asche, his brother -- and workout partner -- Matt, and wife, Emily, have all played leading roles in his success story.

“It definitely takes a village, there’s no doubt about that,” Mayfield said last week. “C.J. has been great for my offseason routine, and Angie, dietwise, has been unbelievable, as well. ... Going to workouts with your brother every morning in the offseason has been pretty fun. And then coming home and having a home-cooked meal is pretty nice, too.

“I’ve never been in it by myself.”

'It’s definitely noticeable'
After the 2019 season, Matt, Baker’s older brother, connected him with McFarland, then a strength coach in Austin, Texas, and former world-champion powerlifter. These past two offseasons, the Mayfield brothers met at McFarland’s gym four mornings a week for grueling two-hour workouts.

“I was looking for a place to work out, but more importantly, Baker was going to be looking for a place to work out,” said Matt, who’d heard about McFarland through a friend. “We realized pretty quickly C.J. knew what the hell he was doing.”

Baker and his brother began training at McFarland’s gym in early June 2020. Their mornings featured a focus on powerlifting to strengthen Baker’s core. Lower-body lifts took place Mondays and Fridays, with upper-body work coming Tuesdays and Thursdays. McFarland also designed lifts specifically around protecting Baker’s right throwing shoulder. Dumbbell rows supplanted bench press, redistributing stress away from the shoulder. To strengthen and stabilize it, McFarland had Baker do single-arm dumbbell presses and a multitude of resistance-band exercises.

Additionally, McFarland tailored the conditioning to mimic a football play, with quick bursts lasting up to 10 seconds, followed by 30 seconds of rest.

“That would be him going back to the huddle, calling the play, getting set again,” McFarland said.

In his eighth week of working with McFarland, Baker Mayfield flew to Cleveland for some commercial shoots before training camp.

“One of the first things he told me was that when he got back to Cleveland, he was smoking everybody in the conditioning test and doing extremely well,” McFarland said. “I know from that he felt really good and peaked perfectly in time for the preseason.”

Mayfield responded with his bounce-back year in 2020, and says he feels even better in 2021, following 16 more weeks training with McFarland this past offseason.

“I try not to tell him how much better he looks, because obviously I don't want to add to his ego,” joked McFarland, who’s since taken an internship on the LSU strength staff, meaning the Mayfield brothers will need a new place to train next offseason. “But he’s a ton stronger and more powerful than he was last season.”

Mayfield says he can feel that difference, especially when making sudden, explosive actions. He also feels more efficient with his movement within the pocket, which has continued to sharpen his throwing mechanics and footwork.

“It’s definitely noticeable,” Matt Mayfield said, comparing his brother’s shape to just last season.

“The explosiveness, you saw some of it last year, you’re going to see even more of it this year.”

'The diet just becomes your lifestyle'
Baker Mayfield played the 2019 season at the heaviest weight of his career. Some of that was by design. But some of it was not. He had gotten married that summer, and various injuries prevented him from conditioning frequently once the season started. Playing heavy messed with his footwork and sapped his ability to escape the pocket.

When he started training with McFarland in 2020, Mayfield weighed over 227 pounds.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski and offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt challenged him to get lighter over the offseason. That prompted his wife, Emily, to introduce him to Asche, a college friend of hers from the University of Nebraska.

Asche gave Mayfield a seven-page assessment to complete and examined his bloodwork to determine whether there were any deficiencies in his diet. From there, she formulated a plan to improve his body composition.

“There weren’t things in his diet like quinoa or sweet potatoes, so I just tried to add a lot more nourishing foods, to get more of those micronutrients and things like vitamins and minerals, things that were going to aid in recovery,” Asche said.

“But really, it was just understanding portioning for him. He can still have his Mexican food, he can still have tequila every now and then. It’s really the portion size that is going to make or break those body-composition goals.”

As Asche reconstructed Mayfield's diet, it was Emily who enforced it, preparing the meals, especially the dinners, according to Asche’s specifications and Mayfield's tastes.

“He's not a big fish guy,” Asche said. “Salmon is not something I ever put on any of the weekly meal plans.”

Mayfield, however, can tolerate cod. Stir-fried vegetables and honey chicken thighs have become hits in the Mayfield household. Asche also regularly includes Mexican dishes like burrito bowls in the plan to satisfy his cravings.

“After a while, the diet just becomes your lifestyle,” Asche said. “It’s something that he just does now.”

'That's the kind of performance you get'
Flashing his newfound fluidity on the move, Mayfield finished 5-for-5 passing for 94 yards on play-action throws, and 5-for-5 for 101 yards against the blitz in Cleveland’s dazzling first half against the Chiefs.

“He’s done an outstanding job of getting his body ready,” Van Pelt said. “He did it last year as well. And it’s showing up in his quickness ... the footwork. He’s made leaps in that way, especially under center with what we ask him to do in the dropback game. He’s made big strides.”

Despite the eventual loss to Kansas City, the Browns showed they have the potential to hang with the NFL’s best. Those little things that have led to Mayfield's new body are one big reason.

“When you put together all of the components -- the training, eating properly, sleeping properly,” McFarland said, “that’s what makes the Cleveland Browns go back to the playoffs for the first time in two decades.

“When you put the entire thing together, the way Baker has, that’s the kind of performance you get.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Quote:
There weren’t things in his diet like quinoa or sweet potatoes,

That's because they are disgusting. wink

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
BONEFISH,

I don't get how so many of you are missing the obvious. Baker will continue to be characterized as a guy that cannot put the team on his back, or even as a "choker," until he starts winning more games in the 4th quarter. It's a plain fact. No use whining about it.

Cannot bring Rogers into this...it makes you look silly right now. Once Baker has MVPs and SB wins under his belt, he will be given leeway. And guess what, if/when that happens, the media and NFL fans will revise their view of his history and praise him. But not until then. The NFL is "what have you done for me lately," and his last 3 chances for comeback wins against quality teams, he has come up short. Those are the facts. And until he starts winning them at a good clip, or has a signature moment that everyone is watching, where he drives to win the AFCC or SB, the narrative will not change. In the meantime, we just have to quietly accept it and be happy he is our QB.

Legend
Legend

I do not rely on the narrative of others.

And I am glad he is the quarterback of the Browns.

Legend
Legend
Baker will continue to be characterized negatively by everyone that keeps moving goalposts.

By your own words, if he lights it up and puts away teams before we even get to the 4th Qtr, folks will STILL label him as a "choker" and claim he cannot put the team on his back.

Basically, it will never be enough, and that's fine.. but, damn, just admit it.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Baker will continue to be characterized negatively by everyone that keeps moving goalposts.

By your own words, if he lights it up and puts away teams before we even get to the 4th Qtr, folks will STILL label him as a "choker" and claim he cannot put the team on his back.

Basically, it will never be enough, and that's fine.. but, damn, just admit it.

Yep. "Putting a team on your back" is one of those undefined terms that results in the goalpost-moving you described.

The term is NOT limited to 4th Q comebacks. It can be something that happens throughout the game...when a QB does things throughout the game to keep his team in winning position. It does not HAVE to be flashy or last-miunte-ish to exist.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Well it's kind of hard for any QB to put a fumble by your RB and a botched punt attempt on his own back. But you know how that works around here from some people.

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T

I've been about as positive as the most positive of Baker Mayfields' upside as anyone who posts, since his final year at Okla. so there isn't a moving goalpost to open my eyes.
I've overlooked the, the fumbling type things on 4th and one, or the propensity to sometimes throw passes that looked just like that final pass last week, even when some of those passes did NOT end up interceptions.
All I think is, we should recognize he sometimes does that.

He can throw 6 touchdowns in a half. And he can do it on occasion, not just once in a career, and then, he can go on a streak, of maybe 5 games where, because of that he's unstoppable, (or they are unstoppable with him,)
But, ... If the game ended at halftime Baker could go 30-0 and the Browns would be double super bowl champions. But that other half, sometimes other 3 quarters of game time, the other team knows what they have to score to come back.
And the Browns defense against the pass, well, it's like playing scratchoff lottery tickets. (maybe an interception, maybe a stop, probably a touchdown.)

If They could ever sting together, about 7 games, made up of ONLY how they play in those great first halves/(half's) of games,
at the right time of the season,

Then they'd not only win the Super Bowl, they'd win every playoff game 55-48, because that's what they do.
rofl pending not giving up that onside kick by the other team, in the final minutes. fingerscrossed

T
Legend
Legend
T
While we're at it. That reminds me. The Buccaneers, the Raiders, the Chiefs, the Ravens' the Steelers!,often the Bills
There is a recipe or gameplan they seem to have, where, they just absorb all the punches, and mid to late game, make a play on the defense, and then it's over, like a predator on food stuff.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: dnadawg
BONEFISH,

Baker will continue to be characterized as a guy that cannot put the team on his back, or even as a "choker," until he starts winning more games in the 4th quarter. It's a plain fact. No use whining about it.

Once Baker has MVPs and SB wins under his belt, he will be given leeway.

I mean - if you want to be factual about it instead of emotional and non-sensical:

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/comebacks_career.htm

2 less career 4th Q comebacks than Deshaun Watson - in 1 less season and playing for a way worse team.

2 less than Josh Allen - playing on a team with virtually no D last year.

4 more than Lamar Jackson ....

Move the goal posts some more and maybe your take won't look so jaundiced.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Lot of butthurt here, but it's all good. I've said my piece, and my mind is only changing based on game results.

Page 3 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Baker Continue to Grow ?

Link Copied to Clipboard