Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
The pass to Schwartz was his worst of the game. More egregious than the interception. Lead him to the sideline and it's a huge completion. Inaccurate pass that forced Scwartz into a tough contested catch. If you have it recorded watch it again. He had been incredibly accurate the entire day. That was his first really inaccurate throw. And it coincidentally came at a time where he couldn't afford it.

Last edited by GratefulDawg; 09/18/21 02:36 PM.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
I believe he’s talking about the incomplete pass later in the game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Give it time. I didn't see anywhere that said we must go to the Super Bowl this year. We just have that potential. Baker is growing.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Give it time. I didn't see anywhere that said we must go to the Super Bowl this year. We just have that potential. Baker is growing.

The time is now.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: cfrs15

That makes sense.

1:08 in video in link...

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/schwartz-njoku-and-spacing

Schwartz hauled in three of his five targets for 69 yards and also took a reverse for 17 yards. He put up an excellent 24.4 ADOT and nearly made a fantastic adjustment on a slightly off-target pass late in the game, but it was broken up on a great defensive play by KC safety Juan Thornhill

#gmSTRONG
W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

He is...he's also assuming that the rookie ran the correct route - which he did not in another part of the game that would have been a TD.

Baker had been accurate all day...was his quote. Perhaps maybe...just maybe...a QB in "comeback mode" can count on his WRs to make a play on the ball every now and then...even when he needs it the most rolleyes

Legend
Legend
You can't be talking about the pass you showed,, that was outstanding.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
R
Legend
Legend
R
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie

He is...he's also assuming that the rookie ran the correct route - which he did not in another part of the game that would have been a TD.

Baker had been accurate all day...was his quote. Perhaps maybe...just maybe...a QB in "comeback mode" can count on his WRs to make a play on the ball every now and then...even when he needs it the most rolleyes

It was a bad pass. No two ways around it.

P
Legend
Legend
P
Yet he completed 75% of his passes of 321 yards. Can you name one NFL QB who never makes a bad throw? No, you can't.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
It's ok that you're wrong.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

this is how you win superbowls with an average defense

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
Legend
Legend
I’m not sure we’re average .. maybe we CAN be average

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
C
Legend
Legend
C
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
I’m not sure we’re average .. maybe we CAN be average

The first game tells us nothing. Mahomes is a magician. The second game is much more alarming.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
C
Legend
Legend
C
Thank you for telling me that when the QB plays good the team wins. We are all shocked.

L
Legend
Legend
L
I thought that was good info.

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
That’s a good looking graph

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Is that line telling me that as Yards/attempt goes up, so does completion% (on average)?

Really?

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
I think it is describing the Mean.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

O
Legend
Legend
O
I thought so two. With it sloped upwards that means that QBs (on average) who have higher yards/attempt also have higher completion%.

I thought that was kinda curious.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
even just looking at the plots, that holds. It's odd, because that's the inverse of how QB'ing was in the past. It used to be that when you saw a QB with a high completion percentage, the talk of "yeah, but he Dink & Dunks it down the field" would begin. Couch is notable for these conversations. Now, the situation seems to have been inverted.

I think it speaks to the ability level of those on the right side of the graph. The guys pushing it downfield are all pretty good, and they all likely have pretty good targets that can get open in the deeper routes.

Last edited by PrplPplEater; 09/20/21 12:17 PM.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't think this is the relevant question. The question is can Baker put the team on his shoulders against the best when it matters most. The NFL is all about the QB and the QB playing their best when it matters most. If you can summarize the difference between winning and losing in the NFL to one thing, it's that.

Jack Nicklaus famously said that you can't win the Masters on Thur/Fri but you can lose it. It's all about the back nine on Sunday. With that said, somebody usually comes to the back 9 with a 2 or 3 shot lead and a few golfers still in the chase.. all have given themselves a chance to win.. but the guy with the 2 shot lead usually holds on and wins.... we were in that chase position against the Chiefs. We came to the final 7 minutes of the game having played well enough to have a chance to win. We didn't. So there are a couple obvious places to look to place blame.. either we didn't play the back 9 on Sunday well enough to overcome the deficit... or we could have been the one with the lead if not for the 2 double bogeys we made on Saturday... everybody gets to choose.. my opinion.. it's a bit of both.

Quote:
Stefanski's offense is very emasculating to a QB. Run heavy and playing from in front a lot, Baker doesn't get much practice to come from behind. Nevertheless he's just a much better quarterback with the lead than when trailing. I don't think the Browns will ever win a Super Bowl unless that changes.

So you are advocating that we rely less on our running game that works, let Baker take a lot more chances, make mistakes that cause us to be playing from behind more.. then that will make us better. It sounds kind of silly when you say it out loud but I do believe there might be some truth to it.. Baker plays in an offense that doesn't require him to take chances, in fact to the contrary, it discourages them. So he does play very cautious.. maybe it is hard to flip that switch in the final few minutes... could be.

yebat' Putin
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
He didn't do a deeper dive, he read my post from yesterday.

Browns is the Browns

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

Maybe this is his swimmin' hole? tongue

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Quote:
I don't think this is the relevant question. The question is can Baker put the team on his shoulders against the best when it matters most. The NFL is all about the QB and the QB playing their best when it matters most. If you can summarize the difference between winning and losing in the NFL to one thing, it's that.

Jack Nicklaus famously said that you can't win the Masters on Thur/Fri but you can lose it. It's all about the back nine on Sunday. With that said, somebody usually comes to the back 9 with a 2 or 3 shot lead and a few golfers still in the chase.. all have given themselves a chance to win.. but the guy with the 2 shot lead usually holds on and wins.... we were in that chase position against the Chiefs. We came to the final 7 minutes of the game having played well enough to have a chance to win. We didn't. So there are a couple obvious places to look to place blame.. either we didn't play the back 9 on Sunday well enough to overcome the deficit... or we could have been the one with the lead if not for the 2 double bogeys we made on Saturday... everybody gets to choose.. my opinion.. it's a bit of both.

Quote:
Stefanski's offense is very emasculating to a QB. Run heavy and playing from in front a lot, Baker doesn't get much practice to come from behind. Nevertheless he's just a much better quarterback with the lead than when trailing. I don't think the Browns will ever win a Super Bowl unless that changes.

So you are advocating that we rely less on our running game that works, let Baker take a lot more chances, make mistakes that cause us to be playing from behind more.. then that will make us better. It sounds kind of silly when you say it out loud but I do believe there might be some truth to it.. Baker plays in an offense that doesn't require him to take chances, in fact to the contrary, it discourages them. So he does play very cautious.. maybe it is hard to flip that switch in the final few minutes... could be.

It's a very curious discussion to be having. I suppose I see Rish's point about not being a legitimately elite QB without that aspect of a body of work showing you can get it done by yourself. But when you start to picture what that would like you end up with all sorts of choices that don't seem to be very palatable.

Fore example: If Baker is constantly being put in to a position where he has to put the team on his shoulder to boost come from behind wins, that would mean our defense sucks so bad we're in weekly shoot outs and/or the offensive scheme is either trash or lacking talent. I don't think I like that trade off.

You make a great point that this offense discourages Baker from taking chances. If I have one criticism of Ski's offense is that it only moves at one speed. Each drive is controlled, purposeful, and eats up clock. Every now and then I would really like to see us run a no-huddle, just for giggles. We have the personnel for it.

There doesn't seem to be much room so far for Baker to improvise or just let it rip. But given how efficient and successful our Offense is, its difficult to justify the necessity of doing anything different.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
Legend
Legend
As thorough as this coaching staff has been, it seems pretty likely that CLE has a hurry-up/2-minute/no huddle package in their back pocket. This year to date, I can't really recall when such a roll-out would have been useful or even practical.

Pretty sure we'll see it before the season expires.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater

So you're saying Baker has been pretty good....

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
Is that line telling me that as Yards/attempt goes up, so does completion% (on average)?

Really?

I wonder too how many passes there are where the QB throws it like 2 yards and the WR takes it 20+... we saw at least one like that yesterday for a TD.

<><

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

Apparently Baker is average.... I mean it would appear that factually and based on performance he is far from average, but you know.

Anyone see the ball Aaron threw into triple coverage tonight... 3rd Q ... Horrible throw WR saved a certain interception. Glad Baker didn't throw that pass, we'd hear about it all year as a reference point to why Baker is average.

The more things change the more they stay the same.
Legend
Legend
Show that play to Anthony Schwartz. That horrible throw by Rodgers was broken up by his WR... Davante Adams played great defense.

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Baker is going to end up with trust issues throwing to his WR. DPJ fumbles. Schwartz stops on his route causing an interception?

We need better receivers.

Legend
Legend
that's what coaching is for

Browns is the Browns

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: devicedawg
Baker is going to end up with trust issues throwing to his WR. DPJ fumbles. Schwartz stops on his route causing an interception?

We need better receivers.

There is only one WR to turn to.....

Tackles are tackles.
B
Practice Squad
Practice Squad
B
There has never been a QB that can “do it himself”. What there has been are QBs that can rally their teammates to perform with him when the chips are down. Even then the teammates must have both talent and the ability to perform in those situations.

Baker will continue to improve. What is important is how he demonstrates leadership to his teammates particularly those who don’t perform at crunch time.

A
Legend
Legend
A
I love the way you worded that, and you are 100% correct.

A qb can only do so much.............ya know, like making a pass to a great spot, but having a receiver stop running cause he might get hit?

It takes 11 guys doing their job on offense.

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Will Baker Continue to Grow ?

Link Copied to Clipboard