Next Thread
Print Thread
#1885928 09/21/21 11:45 PM
L
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
L
On O: it’ll be the usual; run Chubb and Hunt, air it out with play action. This week, we need a WR to stretch the field and catch the ball, fight through routes, stuff like that. But as always, The Union must keep mauling opposing defences and let Chubb/Hunt gash ‘em.

On D: stop the run, make Dalton or Fields beat us. Hopefully we show signs of improvement on D, because I’m not liking the #s we are putting up.

I’d love to see a backside corner blitz on third and long, at least once.
To parrot what others have said this week, I’d like to see a blitz more often than we have been seeing thus far.

Thoughts?

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
We desperately need OBJ or Schwartz to unbottle the defense. Last week’s trend of throwing it 5 yards by the line of scrimmage isnt sustainable

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
We desperately need OBJ or Schwartz to unbottle the defense. Last week’s trend of throwing it 5 yards by the line of scrimmage isnt sustainable

Some of that had to do with Mayfield's shoulder, too, right? The play where he got hurt I believe was a long pass.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Just double Khalil Mack while running the ball and we will win.

I love fields but I think the defense will get about 3 turnovers from him on Sunday.

“To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.”

- Theodore Roosevelt
Legend
Legend
Great clip

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
With the caveat that we cover receivers and rush the QB effectively.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
R
Rookie
Rookie
R
I was actually at this game. I remember this play vividly.

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: ryan20662

What game?

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
Legend
Legend
M
Web-star! My favorite players a kid.

I also remember this disaster from 2001.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSw6-yFy8b8

I fully expect the Browns to beat the Bears, but I think it will be closer than it should be. I anticipate Fields mobility being a problem for our defense.

R
Rookie
Rookie
R
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: ryan20662

What game?

The 89 Monday night game against the Bears. The one featured in the clip above.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Milk Man
Web-star! My favorite players a kid.

I also remember this disaster from 2001.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSw6-yFy8b8

I fully expect the Browns to beat the Bears, but I think it will be closer than it should be. I anticipate Fields mobility being a problem for our defense.

LOL...not making fun of you, I make my fair share, but it's funny when a typo makes sense, but makes no sense.... rofl

As to your vid..I was at that game...all of that happened right in front of us...we were on the 50 yard line, row 12...sickening.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05

Some of that had to do with Mayfield's shoulder, too, right? The play where he got hurt I believe was a long pass.

Perhaps, but I thought it was more them playing 2-High Safeties the whole game and taking away the deep stuff while our WRs also had trouble getting open.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

M
Legend
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: lampdogg
To parrot what others have said this week, I’d like to see a blitz more often than we have been seeing thus far.

A
Legend
Legend
A
Yup. I was going to post this. You beat me to it.

I was at that game in Chicago. 14 point lead with 32 seconds to go. What could go wrong?

Oh.........everything.

E
Legend
Legend
E
If we want to win this game, then we will blitz. I'm looking at you, Mr Woods.

No Craps Given
T
Legend
Legend
T
We desperately need OBJ or Schwartz

That is so discouraging to read right there.

Eerbody knows the offense falls apart when OBJ ... whatever. Schwartz is ... whatever

I know/suspect Higgins is suffering 2 or more injuries. the groin pull and the rolled ankle.
(One thing the Kev. Stefanski Browns have never been forthright and truthful about injury situations.

Felton could be a dynamic player for this stage of a players career 3rd nfl game, but, lining up on the line of scrimmage should be a nono, get him dump offs out of the backfield, maybe.

They desperately need? (maybe a defense that creates turnovers and swarms.)

I'd have more confidence in a Davion Davis premiere than an oBJ return, but whatever, maybe the 3 fer speed if you have to have OBJ, and Schwartz, bring up JoJo Natson and have him in between, 3 players who can move but not catch, but whatever,
well: Sure OBJ can Catch! but he's got no motivation to prove anything at this point, in his career, and for that reason, I have no confidence he would make any plays to help a team win.

I don't think the Browns are as good of a team as they were last year.
After 2 games it shows their defense is in real trouble.

I'm not confident they can beat any team in the NFL on any given game day, except maybe the Bengals and one other theam ?, I figure they will lose every one until they prove me wrong.

Probably until they get motivated. Have you seen the pass defense?
Using the end zone as an extra defender is notallthere

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Bears fans think they can stop the run, have no respect for the Browns passing game.

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Quote:
If we want to win this game, then we will blitz. I'm looking at you, Mr Woods.

Be prepared to be disappointed. Woods is going to remain conservative, and there is some argument he is smart to do so. The likelihood that Justin Fields is going to outscore the Browns offense by directing long methodical drives, whether by leg or arm, is pretty low. He will definitely make splash plays, but if they aren't scoring plays, the Bears are dead in the water.

Woods D drives us fans crazy and is horrible to watch, but it is kinda working at the moment. We aren't likely to blow anyone out because we play it safe, but we also aren't likely to give the game away, either.

Browns fans are born with it...
C
Legend
Legend
C
This is currently the defense most of the NFL is running. Don’t give up a big play. Hope the other team screws up between the 20s, and bear down in the red zone.

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Pun intended?

#gmstrong
D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Yep. And the thing is that there have traditionally been so many bad, mediocre, and/or impatient QBs, it has been pretty successful.

Also, I for one hope that the pun was intended.

Browns fans are born with it...
T
Legend
Legend
T
In the Playoff win the Browns over the steelers;
Nick Chubb had 140 yards, 80 yards running, and 60 yards catching.

If the Browns go away from continuing to give the ball to Nick Chubb, even if it doesn't appear to be working every time,
they will do it at their own risk of losing the game.

The bare bear thare..

Legend
Legend

The Cleveland Browns Equipment Staff prepped the 1946 Uniforms for the first time as the Browns are set to take on the Chicago Bears.

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Is the offense doing enough to win!
The Offense, Defense, and Special Teams are going to need to combine to get 44+ points per game to win some of the games this year.
44 points should be the goal.

The Browns are not going to win enough games scoring in the 25-33 points per game.

I mean is there enough urgency, to really put teams away, is there a sort of letting off the gas if the Browns get a certain number of points.

Are the Browns lowering expectations, on offensive drives, in the 2nd half?

The Browns seem to be able to get to 20 points in the first half, but they aren't getting 40-44+ on the day.

And that is not to say the Browns should give up on the running game. It is totally possible to run the ball and play defense, all day, and get 44 points plus on a gameday.

The Browns have shown, it is totally possible to score 4 times in a half.
If they can score 4 times in a half, and repeat it over and over, then they should have no trouble, scoring 8 times in 2 halves and 6 or more of those being touchdowns.

I think the Browns are accepting a tendency to let off the gas, a tendency to rest on first half scores and not get the most out of 2nd half drives on offense, this could go for the defense, and it's tendencys to create turnovers also.

There is no reason the goal shouldn't be, points every drive, and 44 points every game. 24 points per half, 35 if they're in position.

If every player, every coach, every game, goes into the matchup with the same goal, 44 points or bust, and they start achieving it, they will become hard to beat.
44 points is hard to beat, If the defense can hold the other teams to 43 or less.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
I love that old school NFL films music

Legend
Legend

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend

With Fields starting look for options off a zone defense.

Post snap move from zone look to partial man.

Most rookies strruggle reading coverages.

Woods will use lots of looks to confuse Fields.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Fields doesn't confuse easy and if he is , he will burn you with his feet .. I am very anxious to see how this plays out .. Fingers crossed .

Legend
Legend
Willing to risk it. Feed him and Hunt. Set up some passing. We need to keep Fields off the field, drive the ball, see if OBJ is ready to go, and I would assign a few people just to chase Fields all day long. We need a nastier vanilla pressure than we have managed. Break Fields, break da bears. Easy peasy! brownie

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: bonefish

Woods should use lots of looks to confuse Fields.

Fixed it for you. We will find out about the "will".

I hope we are ready to adjust and keep Fields penned up or we could lose this game if we let him run wild.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 Beating the Bears

Link Copied to Clipboard