Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
Legend
Legend
Long arms, active, non-stop motor, strong...... we could use some more of that in the rotation.

Anything that upgrades the roster.

For the defense:

It's perfectly fine for people to be concerned and voice concern while still understanding that it's a work in progress. Yes, they haven't played together and they need to "gel", whatever that magical word truly entails (e.g. it's called learn the defense well enough to just do your own job and be comfortable trusting the others to do their job, if you understand their role and your role and how they work together, you know why you just have to do your job and that's it). At the same time, the DC needs to put guys in position to be successful based on what they are currently able to do with success. If you can't be flexible in your approach to using your scheme and personnel for the opponent you're facing and the situations you're seeing, then you're wrong.

Now, what we have is what people WANT to see (fireworks and a boatload of 3-n-outs), and then there is what we are seeing. What we don't know is WHY. It is entirely possible, and even likely, that there are actual reasons they are running things the way they are. It could be our personnel, it could be their personnel, it could be what tendencies tell them, it could be being proactive in protecting deep, it could be playing it safe while you feel out a player or coach you haven't played before so that you know how aggressive you CAN be without screwing the pooch. By all means, there should be some concern, because we DO look disturbingly like we did last year, and a lot of the same problems persist despite a drastic upgrade in talent & ability. On the flip side, we are also seeing better Defense from this group, too... our Run Defense has been solid, and the team speed is lightyears from where it was. The guys fly & swarm to the ball, now.

In the end, I think it's gonna be like starting an old car. It's gonna be kinda rough for a bit, but once it's been running for a bit, it will be smooth and reliable.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

B
Legend
Legend
B
Like I said, if we are still seeing the same 6-7 weeks in to the season, then we have reason to think something is drastically wrong.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Quote:
Could Odenigbo, who was with Kevin Stefanski during his best season in 2019, provide some relief to the top edge rushers and keep them fresh? Will defensive coordinator Joe Woods find a way to have three or four of those guys on the field more often to try to create pressure?

Studying video of Odenigbo and it looks to me that he can play anywhere on the defensive line and be effective at putting pressure on the QB.

It looks as though the Browns have activated Odenigbo and should be available against the Bears. Maybe he can add enough of a pass rush to help the defense put in a decent performance...let's hope so!

Home of the Free, Because of the Brave...
Legend
Legend
We've got frickin' Miles Garrett and Jadaveon Clowney. If we can't put pressure on the qb with those 2, another team's cut isn't the missing piece of the puzzle.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Browns Defensive Future is Dime and the Future may be now

The Cleveland Browns ran more dime against the Houston than they did the entire 2020 season. It's the future defensive coordinator Joe Woods wants and it may be coming sooner than expected.

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-dime-defense-future

The Cleveland Browns utilized dime more against the Houston Texans than they did the entire 2020 season and due to injuries at the linebacker position, they may need it far more and far earlier than they initially planned.

When Joe Woods was hired to be the Browns defensive coordinator ahead of the 2020 season, his goal was to be able to eventually play a base dime defense with three safeties and three corners on the field. Injuries, including to then rookie Grant Delpit made it an impossibility for that season.

For 2021, the Browns acquired significant upgrades with their personnel to run it, including the signings of John Johnson III, Troy Hill as well as drafting Greg Newsome and Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah. Between those two rookies and then Delpit, who had yet to play his first game and missed a significant amount of training camp as he not only rehabbed his Achilles' injury but dealt with hamstring issues, Woods hedged a little bit on just how much dime the Browns might play.

Against the Texans, the Browns gave the first glimpse of what the Browns hope to be able to run consistently. It also provided the first look with Delpit and JOK on the field at the same time.

What immediately stands out is just how fast the group is. Both in terms of raw speed as well as instincts, JOK and Delpit often play faster than they time. They process information and react quickly. Both players were utilized in college at multiple positions, which is valuable for the Browns.

That has allowed them to disrupt plays in the backfield from different angles. Delpit, for example, attacked and helped blow up a play right up the middle. The biggest play of the game for him was blitzing off the edge to blow up an unsuspecting Davis Mills in the backfield, causing a fumble in the process.

The key to all of this working is the defensive line. They are a massive group with giant defensive ends who are incredibly difficult to reach and then a 317 pound Malik McDowell in the middle, who has been the biggest revelation on the team. Malik Jackson, who was a nice acquisition in his own right, has lost some of his luster simply because of the attention paid to players like McDowell and Jadeveon Clowney, but he's still a valuable player at defensive tackle.

The dime defense is best utilized when the Browns are playing with a lead. Against the Texans, the Browns were up two scores when they brought it out to finish out the game. However, against some teams like the Buffalo Bills, Kansas City Chiefs and Baltimore Ravens, the Browns may utilize it far more liberally to match their speed on the outside and try to limit damage done by athletic quarterbacks with their legs.

In that scenario, the defensive line becomes critical because they have to give the Browns an honest look at stopping the run. Two games into the season, they've been up to the task. The Browns are only allowing an average of 3 yards per carry, which is fourth in the league.

That's not just in the dime look, but against the Texans in particular, the Browns didn't exactly have great run defending linebackers in the game. So if the Browns can still stop the run while in dime, they have a significant advantage with their coverage options and speed on the field. Combining that with the ability to blitz with players like JOK or Delpit or Troy Hill, it gives the Browns and Woods a lot of options on how to play the opponent.

The best thing the Browns can do as a defense is dictate what the offense is able to do. If the Browns stop the run, the opponent is forced to throw into the teeth of their defense, which is the exact matchup they want. The team is still figuring itself out in terms of assignments, trust and showing how special they can be, but if these early trends continue, the Browns will be extremely well suited to take on the teams that are considered the favorites not only in the conference as well as the Super Bowl by the end of the season.

If the Browns find themselves in a game where they feel they must play bigger to stop the opposing running game, they will have a healthy Anthony Walker and Sione Takitaki back in the next couple weeks, which will give them the ability to match in terms of size and physicality.

For now, whether it's the Chicago Bears potentially with Justin Fields as the quarterback, Justin Herbert and the San Diego Chargers or Kyler Murray leading the Arizona Cardinals wide open offense over the next month, the Browns may be playing a significant amount of time. The more comfortable they get, the more likely it could become their base look.

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
O
Legend
Legend
O
I do believe I read that the Browns played more man coverage vs Houston than they did last season and vs KC.

I'm not 'adequately equipped' to criticize the preferred scheme of an OC. I can only comment on the results I can see, which this past weekend was them looking a little questionable against obviously inferior talent.

Again, I'm doing my best to hold off judgement on Woods and the D overall, but what they did (and didn't do) vs Texans was worriesome.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Like I said, if we are still seeing the same 6-7 weeks in to the season, then we have reason to think something is drastically wrong.
this is fair. It’s not fair to expect our defense to be top level right out of the gate. The hope is we can be humming by the division games .. but if we are still struggling, honestly Woods has to get the axe

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The Browns defense is a work in progress, the players are new to the scheme and they have been very limited in the time they have played together.

Will get there, but it's not the instant success we had hoped for, and in hide sight this was very predictable....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
P
Legend
Legend
P
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
So going by your non-answer, you are saying that our D playing down to a lesser (by just about every measure) opponent is simply part of the gelling process?

Just because you don't like the answer that was given doesn't mean it's a non answer.

I'm saying that the D may be being installed in increments. Little at a time. But rather than fans having any patience to see if it develops they're playing Chicken Little and screaming that the sky is falling after two games.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
well, the defense was installed last year. And again this year.
There are new guys, but they're surrounded by guys that have been here, so it shouldn't be as big of an issue as it would be in a Year 1 scenario.

Browns is the Browns

P
Legend
Legend
P
Certainly not "as big". But there are certainly a lot of new moving parts. Especially in the secondary where the bulk of the comments have been directed.

I'm more with those who want to see how this D looks mid season and make an assessment at that time.

As was written in the above article, more dime was ran against Houston. To me that looks more like the D is being installed gradually. More evidence needs to be presented in order for me to make an informed opinion one way or the other.

Intoducing for The Cleveland Browns, Quarterback Deshawn "The Predator" Watson. He will also be the one to choose your next head coach.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
j/c...

I'm no football guru, but I just don't understand why the Browns seem to just refuse to blitz.

All last year were heard "a defense predicated on creating pressure up front". Plenty of built-in excuses with the lack of talent and injuries on the back end, but I can't count the times I watched offenses march up and down and wondered "well, how much worse could it be". We finished third from the bottom of the league in blitzing the QB.

We've rounded-out the defensive roster and still just seem to refuse to blitz. Meanwhile we're at the bottom of the league in allowing scores on 50% of our opponents drives. I'm not playing Chicken Little, I know these things take time, I just worry that this is a way of life.

I was reading an article today about the Browns wanting pressure to come from up front (same 'ol story), so they don't have to blitz. Whatever happened to wanting to blitz.

I worry (a little) that this may be bigger than Woods -- that this may be a mindset from the top down based on analytics. I realize blitzing, as a way of life, can be largely "feast or famine"... but I tire of seeing the the top defenses always at the top of the blitz rate chart. If you can't make QBs in this league uncomfortable, you'll be in a lot of track meets with teams you should dominate, and sometimes helpless against teams that match you talent-wise. The season is young, but I've already watched two games thinking "what do you have to lose" as the opponent has marched up and down the field.

What am I missing??

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
P
Legend
Legend
P
Just as you can live by the blitz you can die by the blitz. If their O can figure out it's coming, you will more than likely get burnt by it.

#gmstrong
O
Legend
Legend
O
This is as close as I'll get to criticizing the scheme itself....

If an offense 'knows' that the pressure will basically only be coming from the D-front, doesn't that make it infinitely easier to mitigate? I also wouldn't mind sending more LB's in to rush as those guys, as they are, don't seem to be doing much else.

Overall (believe it or not) I'm also in wait-and-see mode (if nothing else, we only have to wait a couple days to see a little more). I was just shocked to see how anemically we played against a team like the Texans.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
P
Legend
Legend
P
If you take the LB'ers out of coverage it will open the middle up even more. And even though it appears that isn't possible, it is. wink

If you look around the league you will see teams that get the bulk of their pressure from the front. Other teams know they do that but they can't stop it. With Myles and Clowney on the edges we should be getting more pressure. With the way the front manages to stop the run it's not like they don't have talent.

If anything I would suggest they move Myles and Clowney around more. Use them both at edge and inside to help find mismatches.

#gmstrong
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
What a bunch of CYA fluff put out to cover for Woods lack of a defense.

Below is a look at a video example of a dime defense employed in the NFL.

Click this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCGTLnb6AXg

to watch the NFLs example of the Dime Defense

Is this an example of whaT Woods is attempting to run?

For one, our CBs are playing a soft prevent defense and Mahones and Tyrod Taylor are eating Woods defense for lunch..but at the expense of our two (first round) "COVER CORNERS".

Last edited by mac; 09/23/21 12:38 PM.

P
Legend
Legend
P
rofl

Browns Defensive Future is Dime and the Future may be now

https://www.si.com/nfl/browns/browns-maven-features/browns-dime-defense-future

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: PitDAWG

As was written in the above article, more dime was ran against Houston. To me that looks more like the D is being installed gradually.

Actually, if I had to venture a guess, I'd say that it was the return of Delpit (and Harrison) that allowed that. You can't run Dime without three Safeties, and you can't run it as your base unless you have enough guys to do a little rotating to keep guys fresh. So, it comes down to having enough bodies with adequate talent to run it.

If an offense 'knows' that the pressure will basically only be coming from the D-front, doesn't that make it infinitely easier to mitigate? I also wouldn't mind sending more LB's in to rush as those guys, as they are, don't seem to be doing much else.

This is all basics that I know you know, but just to say it: When you bring an extra rusher, that's one less in coverage. If you zone blitz your DBs are backpedaling and covering an area, not a specific receiver (for the soft play of Ward - was it Man or Zone? I don't know, I'm asking... if it was Man and that much cushion, then it's him giving a WR respect or playing it safe with a WR he doesn't know, yet). If you go Man, then you may see press coverage. Which one you do depends on who you bring, or how many you bring. One extra rushing is one less covering TE/RB, or one less that can cover a WR. If the D-Coord guesses wrong on what the O is doing, or if the QB sees the coverage (Man/Zone), the chances of the coverage being beaten goes up a lot.
In the end, everything is a tradeoff and if you try to do it all (rush extra, go Man, play press), you get burnt BIG if ANYONE makes a mistake or just doesn't make a play.

Browns is the Browns

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I understand and obviously agree with the notion that there are pluses and minuses to blitzing, like you guys have already mentioned. I think my concerns are multifaceted.

One, I understand the model behind the old Seahawks defense. The offense basically knows what you are doing on defense (more than an exotic blitzing scheme at least), but they just can't stop you. I think to accomplish that, you have to be able to get home with four, or keep coverage long enough. If you can't do either of those, then you're in trouble, and need to adjust. We struggled in those areas.

Two, I understand Woods is not big on the blitz, and I get it when some DCs prefer not to sell out and deal with the fallout. We all saw what happened when Gregg Williams went Cover 0 against Derek Carr last year. But, I think that taking an absolute approach isn't the right answer either. The Texans put in a rookie QB. The typical mantra with rookies like that is to dial up the pressure and see if they know how to adjust. We didn't really do that. The one time we did (and it was simulated pressure, not an actual blitz), there was a sack-fumble.

My concern with Woods I think is my perception that he is very rigid. Not necessarily calling either to his players' strengths nor the offense's weakness. Ward was great in press coverage, but look how far off the ball he was to start the game. Texans brought in a rookie QB, but our game plan didn't really change, even though it wasn't doing great.

Contrast that with Stefanski and AVP. Stefanski is out there playing chess the whole game to keep the defense off balance. AVP I don't think has the strategic mindset of Stefanski, but during the playoff game last year, he went with the tried and true method of finding your opponent's pressure point and exploiting it over and over again, until it stops working (kept pulling Teller and running at Spillane).

So far, I haven't seen that charisma from Woods. Got a press corner? Play him in deep zone. Got a rookie QB starting? Stick with the ordinary 4 man rush. Don't pressure until late. Guys doubling up on Myles? Don't adjust. Myles rushing from 3T isn't working? Keep doing it.

I'm not looking for anything drastic to happen and I'm not saying to fire Woods. This falls more in line with the sentiment you mentioned that, we can still be patient and see what will happen while being concerned at the same time.

Last edited by dawglover05; 09/23/21 01:01 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
P
Legend
Legend
P
You make a great point which is exactly why I think we saw the FA signings and draft picks we did. It takes a certain set of players at certain positions to run the dime. I think the talent was being gathered to do just that. It's why we made sure to add so much speed as well.

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
You covered a lot of what I meant to come back around to, but instead I just rambled.

I think the goal, overall, is to get pressure and stop the run with the front four. The question is, which yardstick is being used to measure success? Is the goal to just affect the QB? Is it to hit the QB? Sacks can't be the measure because they're just too hard to get. You can't bring extra pressure every play, either, because if their OL handles it, you pay BIG.

I can't argue that I don't agree with the notion that we shouldn't have been doing extra to make that rookie QB uncomfortable, and I cannot fathom why we didn't see more calls like Delpit's sack sprinkled in earlier as soon as the rookie came in. I feel the same on both.

That said, I'm sure there is a reason; we just don't know it. Maybe the mantra is to just play it safe and just keep the clock running? Kinda how other teams used to use our own offense against us.... let us march the length of the field, but make us use eleven plays and a ton of clock to do it. When you have an offense like ours that can score in three plays from anywhere when it wants to, it's not a bad tactic to make use of.

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
You covered a lot of what I meant to come back around to, but instead I just rambled.

I think the goal, overall, is to get pressure and stop the run with the front four. The question is, which yardstick is being used to measure success? Is the goal to just affect the QB? Is it to hit the QB? Sacks can't be the measure because they're just too hard to get. You can't bring extra pressure every play, either, because if their OL handles it, you pay BIG.

I can't argue that I don't agree with the notion that we shouldn't have been doing extra to make that rookie QB uncomfortable, and I cannot fathom why we didn't see more calls like Delpit's sack sprinkled in earlier as soon as the rookie came in. I feel the same on both.

That said, I'm sure there is a reason; we just don't know it. Maybe the mantra is to just play it safe and just keep the clock running? Kinda how other teams used to use our own offense against us.... let us march the length of the field, but make us use eleven plays and a ton of clock to do it. When you have an offense like ours that can score in three plays from anywhere when it wants to, it's not a bad tactic to make use of.

I think it's more along the lines of keeping it hidden until we really really need it?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
lol, if we're trying to hide our pass rush until we face tougher competition, then we are crushin' it.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Now that's funny !

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I expect that if you always blitz teams will be watching for it, on the other hand if you rarely blitz and pull it out when you really need it, it's likely to be a whole bunch more effective.

Then again I wouldn't expect you to get it, you think what you say makes sense, so there is that? I understand that you think that the Browns should play like you think they should. rofl

I try to understand what they do and don't pretend to be smarter then they are, I have far more respect for the people we have in place then that. Your not on my list of people to listen to I am sure even you understand that. notallthere

Coach oobernoober hahaha rofl rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
My opinion is that Woods tendency is not too blitz.

Removing the threat of a blitz is like removing the threat of the run from an offense. A one dimensional defensive strategy is easier to attack.

So the lack of the threat of a blitz is the question.

If you can put pressure on the QB with 4 rushing that is fine, but the Browns have not been successful in that regard.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Here are excerpts from an earlier post of mine.

Quote:
This is as close as I'll get to criticizing the scheme itself....

Overall (believe it or not) I'm also in wait-and-see mode....

You've certainly got a good read on where I'm at.

Last edited by oobernoober; 09/23/21 05:30 PM.

-PrplPplEater
R
Legend
Legend
R
The excuse making in this thread is thick.

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Yes it is...not quite thick-enough yet tho...it needs more time to gel.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

It sure looks like the Browns are putting on a full court press with their excuses for Joe Woods defense.

This caught my attention... link

ON THE DEFENSE…

The Browns are having some defensive issues despite all the new talent which was gifted to Joe Woods during the off-season. Pretty much everyone is adamant that it’s not time to push the panic button yet, but Woods is undoubtedly feeling increasingly uncomfortable as the Browns defense tries to develop an identity.

The team's stats on third down are not good, nor is their ability to contain mobile quarterbacks like Pat Mahomes, Tyrod Taylor, and Sunday’s QB, Justin Fields.

Fortunately, on Sunday, the Browns are playing against a Bears offensive line which has not been all that successful, particularly on the interior of the offensive line. If the Browns can get natural pressure from their front four, it will go a great way to being able to contain Fields.

— Browns believe it will take time for new defense to “mesh” (WKNR $$)

— Joe Woods sees progress (Daily Record)

— Aiming for better results on third down (Team Site)

— Woods: Consistency is Key (92.3 the Fan)

— Denzel Ward trying to do too much (Chronicle-Telegram)

— Do the Browns have the right defensive coaching staff? (Daily Record)

The one I darned near choked on is that WARD IS TRYING TO DO TOO MUCH !!!

Ward is not calling the defense that makes him look like one of the worst 'cover corners' in the NFL.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M

Cleveland Browns: 2 defensive stats are shockingly bad entering Week 3

by Nick Dudukovich1 minute ago
https://factoryofsadness.co/2021/09/24/cleveland-browns-defensive-stats-shockingly-bad/

The Cleveland Browns have played two games and the defense has been the main point of consternation following the team’s sloppy win over Houston Texans in Week 2.

Coordinator Joe Woods has seven new starters on his side of the ball, as the Browns’ big free-agent moves, in addition to their first two draft picks were dedicated to defense.

As the Browns struggle, the demand for change is ramping up. Some argue the defense will take some time to gel, but others are looking for an immediate return on investment.

The answer probably falls somewhere in between, but in the bottom line world of the NFL, when you’re not registering a quarterback hit against Texans’ quarterback Davis Mills–and it didn’t come until the fourth quarter with two minutes remaining, you’ve got to better. A lot better.

There are some shockingly bad defense stats impacting Cleveland’s defense, via ESPN Cleveland’s Tony Grossi (subscription required).

1. Cleveland Browns terrible on 3rd down: The Browns can’t get off the field. Opponents are moving the chains on 3rd down at a conversion rate of 63 percent, last in the league!

2. Cleveland Browns red zone equals dead zone: If the opposing team finds the red zone, forget about it. Cleveland’s giving up a touchdown. Teams have racked up five touchdown in seven trips inside the 20. At least they’re not dead last. This number is tied for 20th in the league.

Cleveland Browns: Too many points
Cleveland’s allowed 54 points–breaking down to 27.0 points per game, which is tied for 21st.

The Browns gave up 33 points in Kansas City, but I was willing to overlook the total tied to the defense. Remember, Nick Chubb’s fumble gave Kansas City the ball on the Browns’ 48. They ended up up with a field goal following the turnover.

The other big play was the Jamie Gillan fumble, which gave Patrick Mahomes the ball on Cleveland’s 10.

Ten points that could’ve been avoided. If that 33 shrinks to 23, then the Browns’ defense would’ve carried the day. Allowing 23 points to the Chiefs? That gives you a chance every time. Alas, many a Browns fan can fall down the “What if” rabbit hole, never to appear again.

The Texans game was inexplicable. Tyrod Taylor was moving his offense effortlessly until his halftime injury. Again, the Browns, with $100 million man Myles Garrett and prized free agent Jadeveon Clowney, couldn’t touch Mills.

Fans calling for more blitzes in order to put pressure on opposing quarterbacks may be disappointed against Chicago, because dialing up extra players to rush isn’t how the team was built. Cleveland invest in its defensive line so that it wouldn’t have to send extra players.

NEXT: 3 reasons Browns will bully Bears in Week 3
If Garrett’s chewing up double-teams, someone else on the line needs to show up and make a play. With a rookie quarterback in Justin Fields waiting to go up against the Browns on Sunday, the opportunity should be there for Cleveland to rebound.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Using season stats at this point (2 games in, one of those vs Chiefs) tells me someone is trying way too hard to not sound like they're grinding an ax. Lo and behold, our old friend Mr. Grossi is named in the article.

You lost me when it mentioned 'too many points' when 1 of your 2 opponents is the Chiefs.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Our 3rd down defense has screwed us forever, but it SHOULDN’T now. We have players on defense. Giving up 3rd and longs to the Davis Mills of the world isn’t acceptable

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
P
Legend
Legend
P
Especially when we GAVE Mahomes the ball three times on turnovers.

#gmstrong
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Agreed. I'm willing to give our D some time but things on D have to improve or the playoffs may not be there for us this year. One thing I'll add here is that over the years we've lost many games we should have won for one reason or another but we almost never win games we shouldn't have won. Our Browns have to play hard, smart and minimize our mistakes to win. This year more than ever because the talent and coaching are there. JMO

D
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
D
Just a PSA here for all those freaking out about the D...

If you find yourself in agreement with the Browns beat-writer consensus, you should re-evaluate your position.

Browns fans are born with it...
O
Legend
Legend
O
At the risk of being a broken record...

I thought it was perfectly understandable to give up points to the Chiefs (even regardless of field position). Especially once the emotion from the game wore off it would seem they actually put together a pretty decent game, considering.

But as good as the Chief game was for them, the Houston game was a big letdown. No, they're not finished, polished product... but we should be able to see progress and improvements as time goes on, especially when we're playing inferior competition.

-PrplPplEater
M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Using season stats at this point (2 games in, one of those vs Chiefs) tells me someone is trying way too hard to not sound like they're grinding an ax. Lo and behold, our old friend Mr. Grossi is named in the article.

You lost me when it mentioned 'too many points' when 1 of your 2 opponents is the Chiefs.

oobs...you don't have to rely on 'stats' to know that Woods' defense is not playing well. Just rewind the games and watch how loose our CBs are playing in the Woods soft zone coverage.

How hard is it for a coach to look at his own video and not see that he needs to make some adjustments...to mix in man to man defense to try to stop those easy 3rd down pickups playing a soft zone...why not try to disguise the zone and have underneath help attempt to intercept a pass.

Woods has been given the talent to run various defensive schemes and he hasn't even attempted use that talent in a creative way.

Legend
Legend
Agreed on the Chiefs game. That’s understandable .. but we shouldn’t be struggling to stop the Texans. They diced us up with Tyrod.

We hear all year about Garrett, Clowney, Ward, JOK, Johnson, etc … and we look terrible thus far.

M
mac Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
M
Originally Posted By: Dawgs4Life
Agreed on the Chiefs game. That’s understandable .. but we shouldn’t be struggling to stop the Texans. They diced us up with Tyrod.

We hear all year about Garrett, Clowney, Ward, JOK, Johnson, etc … and we look terrible thus far.

D4...like I said, how could any DC not see the need to vary the defense so it's not so obvious that the Browns are playing a soft zone prevent type defense?

Mixing up the defense so it's not so easy for the opponent's QB to recognize the coverage should be a basic talent expected from a DC.

It would appear that the Bears, with an average OLine and a rookie QB should be tailor made for the Browns defense if Woods is willing to change up the coverage so our pass defense is less predictable.

Page 5 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 10 11
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum DEFENSE still wins championships...

Link Copied to Clipboard