Next Thread
Print Thread
#1877151 08/22/21 07:55 AM
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Best receiver on the team? A surprise at safety? Terry Pluto’s Browns Scribbles

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/08...-scribbles.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio – I was at Browns camp Friday to watch the practice with the Giants. Here are some things I heard and saw.

1. For all the attention Odell Beckham Jr. receives, Jarvis Landry remains the best receiver on the team. Not the most athletic, which is Beckham. Nor is he the fastest. Others in orange helmet would beat him in a sprint. But in a football game where you need durability, toughness and reliability – that’s Landry.

2. Landry has an obvious chemistry with Baker Mayfield. This is their fourth season together. Landry knows how to get open in scramble situation. You can see it in practice, and you’ll see it again in games this season. A year ago, Landry was coming off hip surgery. Now, he’s fully recovered and appears quicker.

3. Coach Kevin Stefanski on Landry: “He’s a very competitive dude. He wants to win every drill. He wants to win 1-on-1s. He wants to win the team periods. That sets the tone for our team.”

4. As for Mayfield, I keep hearing the words “solid” and “poised” when I asked people to assess his camp performance. For the first time in his pro career, he has the same offense and coaching staff in back-to-back seasons. It shows as he’s very confident in the offense.

5. Grant Delpit is out again with his second hamstring problem of the spring. The Browns have John Johnson III set as a starter. Ronnie Harrison Jr. is back from his hamstring injury and made some good plays. I love his energy. As defensive coordinator Joe Woods said, “(Harrison) plays with his hair on fire.”

6. Woods likes to play three safeties. My guess (just mine) is Delpit is a long shot to open the season due to the cranky hamstring. That leaves Johnson, Harrison, and ... ??? Maybe Richard LeCounte III. The rookie from Georgia had a good opening preseason game. He was a 5-star recruit out of high school, and his natural athleticism sparkles.

7. LeCounte was a sixth-round pick. He would have been drafted higher, but suffered a dirt bike accident and missed the final five games of the 2020 season. He had a concussion, shoulder and rib injuries. In today’s game against the Giants, watch the backup safeties. There is room for at least one of them to grab serious playing time next to Harrison and Johnson.

8. I’ve been to practice a few times, and Donovan Peoples-Jones has looked the part of a starting receiver. Talking to the regulars who cover the Browns, they said Peoples-Jones has been terrific all camp. Curious to see how he performs today. The coaches love his preparation and football IQ.

9. Football IQ also is connected to rookie Greg Newsome II. If the first-rounder doesn’t open the season as the starting cornerback, I expect him to play a lot. I don’t trust Greedy Williams to stay healthy. Nor do I think Williams is a better cornerback. That said, Williams has made some good plays during camp.

10. Stefanski on Newsome: “You do not see him make the same mistake twice. He will make a mistake – that’s par for the course as a rookie – but then he corrects it. He wants to do it exactly how it is coached. ... I see a very conscientious player.”

11. David Njoku has hired a new agent and now says he wants to stay. A year ago, he made a trade request. In his fifth season with the team, Njoku has been impressive. He has the size, athleticism and speed to be a very good tight end. Will he block? Will he stay focused? Will he not drop passes in key situations? Those answers won’t come until the regular season.

12. Stefanski on Njoku: “He works hard on his craft. It shows up in his run blocking, his pass blocking, his route running and pass catching. ... He’s getting better.”

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Thanks for this Pluto. One of my favorite beat writers. I am encouraged that he sees so many good and different things. He seems to have an upbeat vibe about The Elf in The Land.

Lordy, I am ready for some football! brownie thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
O
Legend
Legend
O
Terry Pluto’s Browns Scribbles is by far my favorite column during the season.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Different approach to Baker Mayfield’s contract? Browns dealing Case Keenum? Will JOK start? Hey, Terry

Updated: Aug. 20, 2021

CLEVELAND, Ohio – The season opens in three weeks. Browns fans are excited and have questions:

Hey, Terry: Baker Mayfield is a Brown through the 2022 season at an insanely low pay of $19 million. Instead of an extension, would the Browns franchise him in 2023 and 2024 to avoid the signing bonus? – Cliff Colson, Aurora, Colorado.

Hey, Cliff: According to the rules, it’s an option. But players and agents hate it when they are “franchised.” They view it as a lack of respect and that the team doesn’t want to commit long term – yet won’t let the player leave via free agency.

You want your QB committed to the team, especially one who has directed your first playoff appearance since 2002.

The Josh Allen contract with Buffalo is a shocker. In the same draft class as Mayfield and Lamar Jackson, Allen received a $258 million deal with Buffalo – $100 million guaranteed. The guaranteed money is the most for any NFL QB. Patrick Mahomes signed a $450 million deal over 10 years – $63 million guaranteed.

The new contract kept Allen’s remaining two years in place – then added six more seasons. So it’s an 8-year deal. The key is the $100 million guarantee. The Mahomes contract is worth $45 million annually, followed by Allen ($43 million), Dak Prescott ($40 million) and Deshaun Watson ($39 million). These numbers come from overthecap.com.

I was hoping the Browns could sign Mayfield to something like a 4-year, $160 million extension. Not sure what the market will be after the Allen contract. Baltimore’s Jackson also is eligible.

Yes, you can franchise your QB. Dallas did it with Prescott. He played 2020 under a franchise deal for $31 million, then signed his 4-year, $160 million extension a few months ago to begin in 2021.

Washington franchised Kirk Cousins. But the Browns want their key players under long-term deals. Notice the recent extensions to Myles Garrett, Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt.

Hey, Terry: It seems everyone is looking for any faults they can attribute to Baker. Can he excel this season and put the negative talk behind him? – Greg Mees, Sandusky.

Hey, Greg: It depends who is talking. Most of the local media has been very supportive. We know the dismal history of previous Cleveland QBs. But the national media loves to pick on Baker because it draws attention to their comments. That said, ESPN’s Dan Orlovsky (a former NFL QB) predicted Baker would have a good year in 2020 when it wasn’t the narrative surrounding Mayfield and the Browns.

Hey, Terry: I know a playoff team should have an experienced veteran QB, but if Kyle Lauletta looks good again – and the Browns are offered a third- or fourth-round pick for Case Keenum – do you make the move? – Matt Young, Ormond Beach, Florida.

Hey, Matt: Absolutely, positively NOT. You answered your own question when saying a playoff team should have an experienced veteran QB as a backup. In 2017, Kevin Stefanski went through three QBs when he was the Vikings QB coach. He went from Teddy Bridgewater to Sam Bradford to Keenum. He was 11-3 with Keenum starting. Major injuries took out the first two QBs.

Baker Mayfield has never missed a start. Nonetheless, he could miss a few games. Who knows? Keenum is good enough to win those games and play in pressure games if needed. Lauletta looks great for the practice squad.

Hey, Terry: Anthony Schwartz has a history of hamstring problems. Will he be injury-prone? – Larry Means.

Hey, Larry: I hope not. But it is a concern. Schwartz had at least two hamstring injuries at Auburn. One in track, one in football. But he was healthy in 2020. Yet, the hamstring was a problem in OTAs and again in veterans camp. Schwartz was a third-round pick. The Browns selected him because of his world-class speed. They also viewed this as a development year for him because they have so many wide receivers. Good news was Schwartz returned to practice Tuesday, but sat out Thursday as part of the program to get him fully healthy.

Hey, Terry: Is JOK (Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah) a starter in Game 1? – Randy Russell, Chagrin Falls.

Hey, Terry: What are the odds of Grant Delpit getting on the field this year? – Dennis Wieland, Columbus.

Hey Randy and Dennis: Could be. If not, he will play a lot. With Delpit having more hamstring problems, I can picture JOK on the field as a linebacker but playing like a safety. JOK has amazing physical gifts. As for Delpit, a second hamstring injury is a major concern. At that this point, the Browns must plan to play without him. Of course, he could come back at some point. But I’m very concerned.

Hey, Terry: Has there ever been a head coach who says as little as Kevin Stefanski when asked questions by the press? – Dan Abrahamowitz, Beavercreek.

Hey, Dan: Guess you forgot about the Bill Belichick era. A difference is Stefanski isn’t rude, just evasive. As for Bill, well ... you get the point.

Hey, Terry: I grew up in Pittsburgh during the 1970s and 1980s. I was a huge Steelers fan. Moved to Cleveland for school, got married and created a house divided. I was always amazed by Browns fans and consider them the best. Last season, I burned my Steelers jersey and became an official Browns fan. What else can I learn to do this season? – Alice Basinski.

Hey, Alice: If you made the change before those last two games with Pittsburgh, that’s more than enough! You joined the club to watch the Browns beat Pittsburgh in back-to-back games! I never thought I’d see that in my lifetime! As for this season, barking to help the defense is an idea.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Where’s Browns pass rush? How about the ground game and Baker’s grit! Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09...dotcombrowns_sf

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook after the Browns’ 31-21 victory over Houston:

1. Coaches sometimes say, “The NFL is a pass/fail league.” If you win the game, you pass. If you lose, you fail. The score or margin of victory means little to nothing. So the Browns passed this test, gaining their first victory of the season. My view is they played better in their 33-29 loss in Kansas City, but that was a loss, period. And yes, this was a victory.

2. Before taking a more detailed look at the game, let’s consider how Kevin Stefanski and QB Baker Mayfield have come together. Mayfield took a hit in the left shoulder and “it kind of popped in and out,” he said. He stayed in the game. The coaches and other players praised his toughness, Stefanski saying, “He gutted it out.”

3. Now look at Mayfield’s stats: 19-of-21 for 213 yards. He threw an interception, but it was a play where rookie Anthony Schwartz appeared to break off his pattern. Stefanski told Schwartz about that when the Auburn rookie went to the sidelines. Mayfield was hurt on that play, trying to make a tackle.

4. Mayfield on Schwartz during the interception: “I’m trusting him to be in a certain spot and he has to roll it there. It’s going to be a bang-bang play. That’s what this league is. We’re going to learn from it.”

5. Mayfield was upset with the Browns’ two turnovers – his interception and Donovan Peoples-Jones catching a pass then fumbling when he was hit hard: “We just have to take care of the ball. It’s plain and simple.”

6. The Browns had a pair of turnovers in the Chiefs loss. A third mistake was punter Jamie Gillan dropping a snap and being tackled for a loss. That’s five in two games.

7. Not wanting his QB to suffer any more hits, Stefanski stuck with his running game. When Mayfield did throw, it often was quick tosses to tight ends and running backs. His passing was precise, the offense had a sense of rhythm and confidence. The Browns punted only twice.

8. They have been so good ever since being paired up, but my goodness, Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt are something special. They combined for 146 yards in 24 carries (6.1 average). Some of Chubb’s runs remind those of us of a certain age of Jim Brown: Powerful. Quick. Determined. Relentless. Nearly impossible to tackle.

9. Chubb quickly complimented his offensive line: “Coach (Bill Callahan) gets those guys up front moving. ... As a running back, all we have to do is hit our track, have good eyes and it opens up for us.”

10. Chubb on his 26-yard TD run: “It was a great call. It was well-blocked. I don’t think I got touched on that play.”

11. Former Brown now Houston linebacker Christian Kirksey: “Outstanding offensive line ... as individuals, these are Pro Bowl-type guys. They play so well together and that’s what makes them so good. And they have those two guys behind them (Hunt and Chubb). It’s a lethal offense.”

12. Mayfield completed 11 of 12 passes to tight ends Austin Hooper, Harrison Bryant and David Njoku. The Browns often used Bryant like a wideout -- one of his receptions was for 29 yards.

13. Mayfield said rookie running back Demetric Felton has been told to study some of the plays used for Jarvis Landry. When Landry left early with a knee injury, Felton made a couple of nice plays. The most dynamic was a screen pass that turned into a 33-yard TD. Felton spun away from one tackler, then broke two other tackles.

14. Loving to praise his teammates, Chubb said this about Felton’s TD: “That was an amazing play. He broke some tackles, made guys miss. I’ve always known he can do it – I’m glad he showed everyone he can do it.”

15. There are different elements of the problems on defense, but I circled this -- they didn’t have a sack or even a QB hit until rookie Grant Delpit crushed Houston rookie QB Davis Mills with 2:32 left. Jadeveon Clowney had two QB hits late.

16. Profootballfocus (PFF) on Clowney: “He didn’t have a ton of high-level pass-rushing wins, but he did come through with multiple tackles for loss or no gain.” Clowney had three total tackles, one for a loss according to the official stats.

17. PFF said Houston threw at Denzel Ward seven times, completing six. The cornerback was usually covering Houston’s top receiver – Brandin Cooks (nine catches). Rookie cornerback Greg Newsome II was targeted only twice, allowing one reception for two yards. Newsome also played well in K.C.

18. The Browns have dealt with two mobile QBs in the first two games – Patrick Mahomes (Chiefs) and Tyrod Taylor playing the first half for Houston. So that could be part of the lack of pass rush.

19. Nonetheless, more is and should be expected, especially the defensive line. Myles Garrett said: “The D-line is pretty much new except for me and Porter (Gustin, a backup). It’s tough to get that chemistry right away.”

20. Patience still is in order for the defense, which has times when it seems these guys barely know each other. Most of the time, they play at least seven guys who weren’t on the team a year ago. But they have to start figuring it out.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
Fans were great. Browns won. Some real problems on defense – Terry Pluto

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09...erry-pluto.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio – Browns fans proved they were coachable, in their seats for the opening kickoff and screaming.

That’s exactly what Kevin Stefanski asked for earlier in the week – a “full-throat” home crowd for the first game at full stadium capacity since 2019. Perhaps the best thing about this game was the crowd, the return of fans still in a great mood and celebrating the 2020 Cleveland playoff season.

The game was a victory for the home team, a 31-21 verdict over Houston. But it wasn’t an especially impressive showing for a team that was tied 14-14 at halftime. The Browns were likely to win anyway, but the issue was decided in their favor when Houston QB Tyrod Taylor left the game at halftime with a hamstring injury.

Taylor was 10-of-11 for 125 yards in the first half. He threw a 22-yard TD pass to Phillip Lindsay and ran for a 15-yard TD. Taylor and Houston’s misdirection plays had the Browns swaying between uncertainty and downright confusion in the first half.

Because he’s unassuming and underrated, few fans know Taylor has a 25-22 record as a starting NFL QB. At 32, he’s a decent starter and a very good backup.

Meanwhile, he had the Browns baffled much of the time.

DEFENSE HAS PROBLEMS

The good part: The Browns defense is hustling and playing hard.

But it’s not playing smart. The soft coverage led to easy pass receptions for Houston receivers. Part of it was the mobility of Taylor, but the pass rush didn’t bring much heat all afternoon – even when Taylor was replaced by the more statue-like Davis Mills after injuring a hamstring.

With three minutes left, the Browns didn’t have a sack. They had only one QB hit. Then rookie safety Grant Delpit blitzed like a man intent on being noticed. He smashed into Mills, forcing a fumble which Houston recovered. That was Cleveland’s first sack.

I’m not smart enough to know all the defensive schemes and the details of where things went wrong. I do know things should improve as the defense gains familiarity over the course of the season. They had eight new starters on that side of the ball.

But these were not the high-powered, athletically enhanced Kansas City Chiefs. Houston has a rather mediocre offense with some solid pros such as Brandin Cooks, Mark Ingram and Taylor. Mills took over in the second half for Houston, and he looked like a kid QB in his first NFL game.

Right now, something is missing on defense. There seems to be a lot of wasted effort. Defensive coordinator Joe Woods has a lot to figure out.

WINNING THE BROWNS WAY

The Browns lost Jarvis Landry to a knee injury early in the game. Unlike the strong performance in Kansas City last week, rookie receiver Anthony Schwartz looked like -- well, a third-round rookie. Baker Mayfield had only one interception, and it came on a play where Schwartz failed to run the right pattern. Coach Kevin Stefanski let the receiver know about it when he came off the field.

Mayfield was terrific, 19-of-21 for 213 yards. He threw a TD pass, a short toss to rookie Demetric Felton who dashed, faked, spun and broke tackles in route to a 33-yard TD.

Mayfield was playing with a sore left shoulder. “He gutted it out,” said Stefanski, who also called a smart game to protect his QB. It’s reassuring to watch the Mayfield and Stefanski operate so well together.

On a day in which Browns receivers had only three catches, seeing Felton show some flash as a running back who can also catch the ball was big reason to smile.

But the Browns won this game on the ground. Nick Chubb had 95 yards on 11 carries, including a 26-yarder for a TD. Kareem Hunt rushed for 51 yards on 13 carries. The offensive line, the determined running backs and some savvy play by Mayfield made sure the Browns sent 67,431 fans home happy – something they deserved.

When the clock struck zero, the Browns had a 1-1 record. But that should be the start of doing some serious work to plug the problems on defense.

#gmSTRONG
Legend
Legend
How many more super mobile QBs will we see?

Fields
Lamar x 2
Murray

Then we have guys like Herbert and Rodgers who can effectively move to pass

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
It's the NFL; mobile QBs are a thing that's here to stay. This defense needs to be able to deal with and defeat them every single week.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Quote:
20. Patience still is in order for the defense, which has times when it seems these guys barely know each other. Most of the time, they play at least seven guys who weren’t on the team a year ago. But they have to start figuring it out.

Sorry Terry! #20 is Bull!!!

They've been preaching patience for 25 years.
Not this year!
Either own what shows up on the gameday, or don't say anything at all.

Eventually it's an organizational thing, if the Browns organization, wants to keep inserting new parts continually, then own the results, own that that's what they do. Just don't preach to wait, there is nothing better coming. This is it. Ye are what ye are.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
It's the NFL; mobile QBs are a thing that's here to stay. This defense needs to be able to deal with and defeat them every single week.

There may be more of them sooner than later.

C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Quote:
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Browns fans proved they were coachable, in their seats for the opening kickoff and screaming

The reason for this is because finally , after 22 years, the Browns front office figured out how to get people through security in a reasonable, if not amazingly fast, timeframe. I’ve complained to my ticket rep for years that other NFL teams have figured it out, why can’t we? Kudos front office!

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
Quote:

Sorry Terry! #20 is Bull!!!

They've been preaching patience for 25 years.
Not this year!
Either own what shows up on the gameday, or don't say anything at all.

Eventually it's an organizational thing, if the Browns organization, wants to keep inserting new parts continually, then own the results, own that that's what they do. Just don't preach to wait, there is nothing better coming. This is it. Ye are what ye are.

BS.... 7 new starters at any given time should tell you from the jump that they need more time to gel..

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
E
Legend
Legend
E
This isn't baseball....we got only 16 now 17 games to gel. We have to make the playoffs before talking about going far into the post season. I call it getting our act together. You game plan and you execute. K.I.S.S.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: eotab
This isn't baseball....we got only 16 now 17 games to gel. We have to make the playoffs before talking about going far into the post season. I call it getting our act together. You game plan and you execute. K.I.S.S.

No way there is a timetable for when the light comes on. It happens when it happens.. You can force it all you want but it doesn't matter.

Just like the offense last season.. took a several games but finally it clicked.. And when it did, it was really fun to watch.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
How about more from Browns defense? Offense to be tested – Terry Pluto’s Pregame Scribbles
Published: 6:58 a.m.
THE RISE OF GREG NEWSOME
Greg Newsome II is off to a fast start at cornerback. cleveland.com

Facebook Share
Twitter Share
By Terry Pluto, The Plain Dealer
CLEVELAND, Ohio – Scribbles in my notebook as the Browns prepare to face the Chicago Bears.

1. By far, Chicago’s defense is the best the Browns have faced so far. In their 20-17 victory over Cincinnati, they picked off three consecutive Joe Burrow passes. They also sacked Burrow five times and had four other QB hits. Cincinnati running back Joe Mixon had only 69 yards in 20 carries.

2. The Browns probably won’t be able to run the ball as easily as in the first two games – an average of 155 yards and 5.2 per carry. They rushed for seven TDs against Kansas City and Houston. This could be a game for Odell Beckham Jr. or possibly Anthony Schwartz to use their speed to force Chicago’s defense to respect the deep passing game.

3. Interesting comment from offensive coordinator Alex Van Pelt about the Browns “forcing” passes to Beckham in the past: “I don’t know if we saw much of it (in 2020), but that’s one thing we as quarterbacks can’t do. First and foremost, the most important thing is to run the system. The ball will find him when it’s time to find him ... can’t just expect him to come out and have a huge day the first time back.”

4. Beckham hasn’t played a game since Oct. 25, 2020, when he tore his ACL and had reconstructive knee surgery. While much attention will be on Beckham, I expect Donovan Peoples-Jones or Rashard Higgins to come up with some big plays while filling in for the injured Jarvis Landry.

5. The Browns have been wearing out defenses with passes to all three tight ends – Austin Hooper, Harrison Bryant and David Njoku. The Bears could try to pay more attention to them, leaving more opportunities for the receivers. The Bears have three excellent linebackers in Khalil Mack, Robert Quinn and Roquan Smith. Profootballfocus reported Smith is the No. 3 linebacker in coverage, especially vs. tight ends.

BAKER'S STRONG START
Cleveland Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield waves to fans after Browns victory over Houston. Joshua Gunter, cleveland.com

6. But the Browns have an offense that is operating at a very high level. Baker Mayfield has been superb. Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt are behind a terrific offensive line. The orange helmets are tough to defend. As Van Pelt said of Mayfield’s strong start: “Decision making. Accuracy. (Involving) everyone in the passing game ... being in the right place at the right time ... great protection by the offensive line.”

7. I talked to someone who studied every Browns defensive play. On each passing play, Houston used a tight end or running back to “chip” block Myles Garrett and Jadeveon Clowney. Yes, both guys on each passing play. Lots of maximum protection.

8. The secondary should have had more opportunities to cover better. They were not being flooded with receivers. While fans and the media (including me) have focused on the lack of pressure on the QB, the Browns believe their secondary should be playing at a higher level.

9. Revealing stats: Greedy Williams has played only eight snaps. Andrew Billings has played only 17.

10. What does this mean? Rookie Greg Newsome (123 snaps) not only won the starting cornerback from Williams, he has been superb in his first two games. Furthermore, free agent addition Troy Hill (80 snaps) is the No. 3 cornerback behind Denzel Ward (123 snaps) and Newsome. This is fine with me, play the best guys. Doesn’t matter where they were drafted or who picked them.

11. Defensive coordinator Joe Woods on Newsome: “He’s a confident guy. He plays clean technique. Each game, he is getting better and believing in his ability.”

SURPRISE STARTER
Malik McDowell beat out Andrew Billings to start at defensive tackle.John Kuntz, cleveland.com

12. What about preseason projected starter Billings playing so little? It’s the rise of rookie Malik McDowell (82 snaps) and veteran Malik Jackson (89 snaps) as the defensive tackles. The first substitute has been Jordan Elliott (51 snaps). He’s been outplayed by those guys.

13. The Browns are holding teams to only 3.0 yards per carry, tied for second-best in the NFL. That’s why the defensive tackles and ends are doing a good job vs. the run. The Bears are tied for third, allowing only 3.3 yards per carry on the ground.

14. The biggest problem is their dreadful third-down defense. They rank last in the NFL in preventing first downs in those situations. Unless that changes, the Browns will be in big trouble come playoff time.

15. Yes, the defense can improve. Finally healthy, rookie safety Grant Delpit had an excellent debut with a sack and several other good plays vs. Houston. Rookie linebacker Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah also should be integrated more into the defense. I’m not in the “Dump Joe Woods” camp. It’s way too early. The real test will be how the defense plays in the second half of the season.

16. Prediction: Browns 26, Bears 18. My record is 2-0 this season.

https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2021/09...-scribbles.html

People who lack accountability think everything is an attack
O
Legend
Legend
O
Newsome is having about as good a rookie campaign as one can expect at CB (steep NFL learning curve). Greedy just might need to wait for the inevitable Ward injury to show what he's got.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Terry's Talkin' Browns

Link Copied to Clipboard