Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1887373 09/26/21 04:31 PM
O
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
O
Was glad to see the D show up for this one. Although, Justin Fields looked like every other Ohio State University QB to make a pro team since forever, he did not look like he belonged at this level.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
The pitchfork crowd needs to pack up their gear and end their crusade rightfully before it ever got off the ground.

Joe Woods Defense looks plenty good enough to me, so don't any of the want-a-be DC's sit to close to the phone the Browns won't be calling.............................EVER

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
We set Madden to Easy Mode for a week. It's great, but far from complete. Was nice to get a stress free win for a change, but we have much to keep working on.

Same can be said for Fields. It was his first start with a terrible O-line against a good D-line. Hardly can read anything into it.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
Bears had 47 yards of offense. 1 net yard of recieving. That is incredible. Heard it was the first time since, get this, 1946.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
So the D showed up...

Yep.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
T
Legend
Legend
T
Better to circle the wagons after a Win!
Hardly an easy day, the Bears were shutting down the Browns run in the first half. Any Real quarterback would have given the Browns a real game on the scoreboard as the pass defense wasn't ready for, well anything except for the pressure provided by the Browns front defense.
Was Mayfield really sacked 5 times. 3 in the first half. The Browns pass protection was suspect. The Browns opening passing attack was uncoordinated yet effective in spurts nothing cohesive.

The Browns defense did not force a turnover. 3 Games into the season, have the Browns forced any turnovers, not, meaningful ones at opportune times, or just last second of the half on a lobbed up type?

Baker took a hit on his shoulder after the slide on his scramble, I'm not sure which shoulder.
Part of the luxury of having 12 pass catchers turns into a problem of no real continuity with the top 3 options.
There was a good part of the day, the FG kicker made every kick the team attempted. thumbsup
The Field position, = the Browns getting the field flipped on them with 60 yard net punts on about 3 or more straight times.
But they forced the punts so there is that.
Clean up the block in the back penalties on about every special teams punt return since Mayfield was drafted in 2018.

Kareem Hunt saved the day when the Bears were effectively stopping Chubb.

As CRAZY! and Unorthodox, as it would be to kick a FG on 1st down. Yesterday was another example, along with the Falcons in the Super bowl against the Patriots a few years back, that when OBJ received that pass out of bounds on the 15 yard line, With the score 10-3 Browns.

Kicking the FG. and then kicking off at that point, on first down would remove the momentum shifting of their defensive rally.

Better to circle the Wagons and regroup after that game. As Wins go that one was Brutal.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
The pitchfork crowd needs to pack up their gear and end their crusade rightfully before it ever got off the ground.

Joe Woods Defense looks plenty good enough to me, so don't any of the want-a-be DC's sit to close to the phone the Browns won't be calling.............................EVER
The only person with a pitchfork and a crusade that I can see is you.

.... and ThrowLong, but that's a different story.

Last edited by oobernoober; 09/27/21 08:45 AM.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
Those stats are astounding. Insane numbers. Yesterday's effort level might have beaten Mahomes.

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Bard Dawg
Those stats are astounding. Insane numbers. Yesterday's effort level might have beaten Mahomes.

That might have beaten Mahomes and Lamar at the same time.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: GratefulDawg

I have no idea how "half sacks" are credited.. but I can't believe he didn't get at least a half on that last one when he got to Fields first, was draped all over him, Fields spun out right into the arms of Clowney...

yebat' Putin
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
What we saw yesterday is the kind of D we should run. Bump the WR on the line, blitzing, stay aggressive etc. We have the talent to do it so use it. We all know our schedule how tough it is. The playoffs won't come easy. There are a lot of good teams in the AFC . We have to stick to our strengths on both sides of the ball.

Legend
Legend
Quote of the day from Rex Ryan: "Myles Garrett had a great season yesterday".

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
H
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
H
Speaking of the Ryans that's the kind of D I'd like to see us run. We have the players for it. We have to be aggressive against the talent we have to face.

Legend
Legend

You know my love will Not Fade Away.........

#gmSTRONG
E
Legend
Legend
E
They didn't just show up this was the most awesome display of a Browns D (and in great weather) since 1999 outside of a nonsense call of a 48 yard pass INT which more than doubled their yardage gained on O JJ#3 had his hand lightly on the WR and never changed his direction within the rules of the game.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: Homewood Dog
What we saw yesterday is the kind of D we should run. Bump the WR on the line, blitzing, stay aggressive etc. We have the talent to do it so use it. We all know our schedule how tough it is. The playoffs won't come easy. There are a lot of good teams in the AFC . We have to stick to our strengths on both sides of the ball.

I watched the Browns game yesterday we hardly blitzed at all it was 4 on 5 most of the day. Blitzing was done but in usual Woods fashion very rare.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
O
Legend
Legend
O
I think I saw 1 maybe 2 times where someone other than a lineman was trying to get into the backfield. I wouldn't call that a significant uptick, much less opening the floodgates.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
T
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
T
Could be a good sign, or just skewed numbers...But two weeks in a row, Mack Wilson has posted a 78.0 grade playing a more limited role. I remember him flashing on a play yesterday, and its nice to see him shining on special teams. We should hopefully get Taki back next week, and see the continued growth for JOK...and hopefully in the near future get back Jacob Phillips...though I'm sure that will be down the road.

Legend
Legend
Question for my fellow Dawgs who know scheme better than I do. I thought that one of JOKs strengths was his speed and coverage ability. When called upon, he looked good doing it yesterday.. He also had a couple nice blitzes and I believe was involved in a sack or two.... yet I noticed on multiple occasions him coming off the field on 3rd and obvious passing situations. Why?

yebat' Putin
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: OldColdDawg
Was glad to see the D show up for this one. Although, Justin Fields looked like every other Ohio State University QB to make a pro team since forever, he did not look like he belonged at this level.

This wasn't solely on Fields. He was harassed all day - he didn't have time. OL failed him miserably, and the Chicago gameplan wasn't very good - and they didn't seem to adjust. This said, he didn't look good as you call out. Rough game 1

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: DCDAWGFAN
Question for my fellow Dawgs who know scheme better than I do. I thought that one of JOKs strengths was his speed and coverage ability. When called upon, he looked good doing it yesterday.. He also had a couple nice blitzes and I believe was involved in a sack or two.... yet I noticed on multiple occasions him coming off the field on 3rd and obvious passing situations. Why?

I can only assume it was because he was obviously going in for punt coverage the play after, and needed a break. wink

Last edited by dawglover05; 09/27/21 02:32 PM.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
T
Legend
Legend
T

Which team the Browns or Bears. The Bears, sacked Mayfield 5 times and shut down both Browns running backs, for most of the game. (If only they had an offense)

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: oobernoober
The only person with a pitchfork and a crusade that I can see is you.

.... and ThrowLong, but that's a different story.
It seems it's become fashionable to criticize my criticism. (Which is not chicken little), but understanding is not like a sunburn, it's not free for anyone.

I hope to change the psychology of the team for the BETTER, asking for changes for RIGHT THINGS.
The 2021 Browns have real chances, these are not the 2011 Browns.
The 2011-2012-2010-2013 Browns were going to lose a bunch of games probably, no matter what.

The 2011 Browns, it didn't matter if they left their t's un dotted, and their i's uncrossed they weren't going to go 3-0 in the playoffs anyway.
But this isn't the 2011 Browns, and the window won't always be there.
The demand for the team to NOT shoot themselves in the foot has seldom held more significance. It invites constant reminders to focus.

... (Look), Look at the Psychology of the game. Two weeks ago, it was chic to parrot the Chiefs' may go 16-0, but, the real story here, the overexuberation on the faces of Kelce at the end of the Browns game, and others probably,
I mean the Chiefs were Over the Moon with excitement in their accomplishment, in love with themselves,
and they parlayed that excitement into 2 straight losses against teams they were supposed to beat.
That's the NFL, not for long, the psychology of the game.

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG

Which team the Browns or Bears. The Bears, sacked Mayfield 5 times and shut down both Browns running backs, for most of the game. (If only they had an offense)

Rushing Yards

Browns: 215
Bears: 46

It's not quite the comparison you think it is.
Their defense was stout for a while, particularly focusing on stopping Chubb at all costs, but they never slowed Hunt at all. Hunt was 10 carries for 81 yards.

We do miss Hubbard, though. That guy named Blake may be our best backup OT right now, but he isn't Hubbard and it showed.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

T
Legend
Legend
T
I can't believe he didn't get at least a half on that last one when he got to Fields first, was draped all over him, Fields spun out right into the arms of Clowney...
I'm happy the Browns got the sack, and happy for Clowney. I think it's credited to who makes the tackle, if two players wrap them up, that would be how they get halves. Maybe if they start crediting assists, that would be an assist.

Legend
Legend

Kareem Hunt disagrees with this ignorant post.

And into the forest I go, to lose my mind and find my soul.
- John Muir

#GMSTRONG
Legend
Legend
Good point about Hubbard. He’s far better than Hance (and Wills at his current health)

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
Legend
Legend
Throw, the numbers. A single yard because of sacks, hits, pressures, and defensed. The offense came around better with Landry out and OBJ getting his game back. We had some fire and fed off of each other, and more heart and intensity might have helped us ice that loss. I may be a homer, maybe you aren't, but so be it. I am still looking at the loss and hoping we figure out how to go after folks with enough intensity and focus to cinch the win. I place areal premium on game chemistry when a team catches fire and ramp each other up. Garret was special. I expected ability to outperform on the line yesterday, we are better. They did exceed my expectations with the numbers I am writing about originally.

We will need to be better, Chubb especially. But we were measurably better assuredly. Film we will want to watch. I trust Callahan to get it done. thumbsup

"Every responsibility implies opportunity, and every opportunity implies responsibility." Otis Allen Glazebrook, 1880
Legend
Legend

And the weather was nice in New Orleans for almost the whole month of August in 2005!

HERE WE GO BROWNIES! HERE WE GO!!
T
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
T
THis is the first time where I saw the Defense coalesce and start acting like a team defense. Guys actually trusting each other that they'll make the play. We've got very smart guys running around on that side of the ball...andthis is totally what I hope to see going forward.

I do believe some of this is partially in due to that the Bears Oline is utter crap. But the front four were also getting through on max protect downs too when nagy put 7 up front.

JOK looked like what people thought he could be when he was drafted.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1442576744557383682

I'm mostly curious if they continue this route and take the next step. Or because there is a more competent QB back there they take a step back.

1 net passing yard is not going to happen given the nature of the game. But it is telling.

Onto minnesota, with a real passing attack. And a real run game.

It's also a "revenge" game. SO time to get at it.

Luckily it's going to feel like playing against the Browns O given the roots of the scheme employed.

Last edited by The Collector; 09/27/21 06:30 PM.
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I do believe some of this is partially in due to that the Bears Oline is utter crap. But the front four were also getting through on max protect downs too when nagy put 7 up front.

I do, too... but that may not be a bad thing. Just might have been the thing to get this new bunch beyond pre-season mode. They got to see and feel what the scheme is supposed to be, and let that game set a basement for what they'll accept from themselves going forward. A game like this cements "buy-in" for the plan. Guys will run through brick walls for The Plan after a win like this.

This bunch looked oiled up and firing on all cylinders. Units played complimentary ball. Result: The Cleveland Browns defense smothered an NFL team for almost 60 minutes. Everyone is agog at the 9 sacks, but we also saw multiple pass breakups and busted routes due to some good man pass d. That's almost the kind of balance we see when we read the O's stat lines for run/pass ratio.

I think CLE's D needed a Real-Time opponent that could provide them that chance to execute the game plan/individual plays at will. It's like an extra pre-season game, but at reg season speed. With so many new parts, it was bound to take some time- time that our preseason couldn't provide. Games like this can speed up the learning curve.

I still expect bumps, and this next game could present that, like you said.

But tonight, my point is a simpler and a more general one: Our D played this game the way they want to play every game from now on. Total domination/ownership. Winning like this is a total intoxicant. A massive adrenaline + dopamine dump. This young band of brothers got "that hit that gets you hooked" yesterday.

They are going to want more.
A lot more.

I can't freakkin wait.

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think I saw 1 maybe 2 times where someone other than a lineman was trying to get into the backfield. I wouldn't call that a significant uptick, much less opening the floodgates.

That is what I saw as well. I also think on the one sack that JOK had if you were watching a huge alley opened up right in front of him he took off when it did and hit the QB. But I don't think that was by design or that he was suppose to be blitzing. What I see and think and thought would happen with JOK was he was allowed to do what his instincts told him to do.

I think this is the most effective way to use him as well, and in reality that is how he can become a real force for us. From jump Woods said that they didn't want to overload him because he is a rookie and needs to get acclimated with how he fits in with this defense he had a great game to BTW and really showed all of us what is in store for us as his roll increases. The real positive I see here is that they expanded his roll and he delivered. I am not so sure that allowing him that sort of freedom out of the gates would have been the best way to bring him along?? I assume the coaches have a pretty good handle on what he does well and doesn't do well, and all of us really don't know these things, not yet anyway.

I think from the very beginning there was and is a plan for every single member of this defense and yes it is an ongoing process. If it's possible this defense should actually get much much better as we roll along.... This defense has the tools to crush our opponents but I don't think they are necessarily ready to do everything yet. But at the very minimum we all at this juncture should feel real good about the direction. By the time the second half of the season rolls around this defense from what I see or dream about, will be the most dominate defense in the entire NFL.

Under normal conditions you wouldn't replace 90% of a defense in a single off season which is what we did. I was and remain convinced that Woods is working his tail off week to week to evaluate every member of this defense and expand their rolls week to week.

When I was watching the 49ers game the announcer made a comment that a single player when in motion changes how 4 players on defense adjust what they are doing and their responsibilities change as that happens. There are a lot of moving parts is the point and everyone has to react in unison for the defense to function at a high level.

We are getting there and what happened on Sunday is an example of how good they will be when they get this thing all smoothed out. And hey we don't need to fire anyone, this staff truly has this I believed that before we saw what we saw on Sunday and of course I believe that even more so now.

Everything from jump with me anyway has been about direction. Week over week I think will get better and better regardless of who we play. That may not always look good I also expect that as well. What must NOT be done is for anyone to panic. What needs to happen from a fan perspective is be supportive and respectful of the people we have in charge and that goes to the players as well. Our reward for that is a Lombardi I truly believe that. This season is going to be very very special and fun to watch and they will get better, offense, defense, and special teams. We got a taste of that on Sunday and it sure was fun to watch. Well not if you're a Bears fan.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
No doubt the D showed up ready to prove a point.

They proved it to the point where the rookie QB might be ruined for life.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
I've also noticed JOK's increased role and his performance week-to-week. That can't be stressed enough, from talent eval proving itself (so far our draft class is KILLING IT), to contributing rookies helping to overhaul the defensive roster from last year, to having a LB that can be a weapon vs opposing offenses.

His play so far is really exciting, and the discipline the coaching staff is showing in how they're integrating him is really commendable. Past coaches would've thrown him into the fire and would've been well on their way to ruining him by now.

-PrplPplEater
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I've also noticed JOK's increased role and his performance week-to-week. That can't be stressed enough, from talent eval proving itself (so far our draft class is KILLING IT), to contributing rookies helping to overhaul the defensive roster from last year, to having a LB that can be a weapon vs opposing offenses.

His play so far is really exciting, and the discipline the coaching staff is showing in how they're integrating him is really commendable. Past coaches would've thrown him into the fire and would've been well on their way to ruining him by now.

I think he is going to be our Polamalu. I know different positions but same style of play mad man!

Joe Thomas #73
M
Legend
Legend
M
j/c...

E
Legend
Legend
E

Maybe not in our Dime package? or Prevent D package???

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
Legend
Legend

When the Bears snapped the ball; it was a release the hounds moment.

KS said during the week the front was firing off the ball.

The starting front four of Myles, Clowney, and Malik squared. All four have great "get off."

The Viking's will be a stiffer challenge than Nagy and Fields.

But once again in this upcoming game especially. Is the ability of our offense to run the rock.

We do that and not turn it over. We will win.

Clearly Stefanski knows the Browns formula for success.

Our offense is very hard to key on one thing. We have so many options offensively.

If our defense continues to get better as the weeks pass. Damn, we are in for a ride.

O
Legend
Legend
O
on Clowney's first sack, I was kinda hoping McDowell could argue his way into half of it. There's a chance Fields could've escaped if the interior lineman wasn't there to help clean up.

-PrplPplEater
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 26 Bears 6 So the D showed up...

Link Copied to Clipboard