Page 1 of 2 1 2
#1889925 10/04/21 04:19 PM
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
What I saw was for the first time in my Browns history (since 1964) An awesome best in the NFL defense. Which I may add the MEDIA for some reason refuses to validate. We said oh Chicago was a ??? because of its rookie QB. Then they refuse to anoint these guys cause they didn't have a mega stat of SACKS meanwhile we pressured the crap out of Cuz a veteran who ges rid of the ball super fast.

Their first drive was excellent a methodical drive for 75 yards and a TD where one has to say - "Oh oh we are going to have to match a high scoring game. Keeping in mind the Vikings play in a controlled environment under a dome.

All I heard from the talking heads was how bad our QB was. Well excuse time I know but there is a reason.

1 I don't believe in coincidences. Baker can't go from THE MOST ACCURATE QB in the NFL to one of the least. Hmmmm he badly hurt that left shoulder. Baker says not effecting his accuracy - Ski saying its not effecting his accuracy. Ummm its quite obvious that it is.

2. and not a big point (excuse) but it is. He is throwing to Bryant, Hooper and Njoku (all out there at the same time) either 3 or 2 of them with a RB those are our targets making it easy for the D to cover OBJ and/or Higgins Who for some reason Baker hits with ease. OBJ not so easy as the 2 just don't have that passing fellowship as does Higgins and Landry.

3. He has SKI in his ear - "DONT'T MAKE A MISTAKE, DON'T MAKE A MISTAKE" so priority number one in his head is don't make a mistake.

Si add that together and you just don't have a good environment for the QB and also our O guys number one priority is not the pass we just aren't built for the pass game we are built for the run...old school RUN GAME.

One question I do have for Baker is late in the game and us getting another first down would be great for the clock. Baker is scrambling to the right oh heck its like 8-9 seconds already and Baker is running towards that LOS all the while there is Felton 2-3 yards pass the line to gain (as these guys like to say now) But standing there all by hiimself...my wife (who does my yelling for me now a days lol) is yelling THROW THE BALL HE'S WIDE OPEN!!! I too was thinking Baker I can't believe you didn't throw that ball, why and then as he ran for a yard way short of the 1st (sorry can't sophisticate myself to say "line of gain") I'm thinking, has to be that Baker so more that one OL downfield by now blocking for him and him he threw the ball a flag was going to follow so that the only shot he had was to run for it! Good athlete he is but Lamar he is not.

Man our run game is amazing. You can see our OL just wearing them down as in the beginning getting more than 2 yards was a chore. Boom, boom we still banged away - they lightened up their run D a bit when Hunt was in but even he was finding their run D to tough...Boom boom.

Why with the lead 8-7 and then 11-7 do we go into prevent mode and insist on going RUN, RUN, Pass leaving Baker with a 3rd and long (5+ yards) so that it was known to all we were passing. Something has to be wrong with that shoulder for Ski to insist on that conservative play as if we got Dilfer at QB or something.

But guess what folks this was one of the best Offenses in the NFL and we gave them a 7 point lead...then we SHUT THEM DOWN. Missing our excellent rookie CB Newsome only to have Greedy come in and do the job, MAN UP!

Then early on we lost Ronnie Harrison Jr. who has been playing at a pro bowl level ( I think to a concussion) MAN UP DELPIT!!!

Garrett and company was giving Cuz pressure like he never saw before. Garrett and then there is Clowney who just does not get the STATS but plays DE better than anyone I've seen. He is relentless in the run D and is giving pressure in the pass game. The guy I see really stepping it up and is a big time addition (Thank you Berry) Is Takk McKinley...this kid has been waiting to bust out and every game he is giving more and more so that we have 3 amazing talents Myles, Clowney and now add in Takk. All three are buzz saws with a combo of size and speed unmatched as a group.

Now add in our LB JOK this kid is so good his speed puts him just about every where as a LB...if we need and edge LB outside our inside Garrett who would play 9 tech and JOK would then go 5 tech...man oh man just a wrecking crew.

Johnson 3 has the DBs in the right place and they are getting more comfortable with the D and Johnson 3 running the back end.

Don't discount the middle two the MALIK brothers...lol old man Jackson and the new kid on the block McDowell - Jackson shows up more in the 2nd half as we got 3 to rotate in and keep them fresh...Billings, Elliot and Toglal.

This D is getting there and their leader should get the credit as all were lambasting Woods but now that we are looking morfe and more like one of those special defenses that show up ONCE in a decade...Man O man and we are just reaching the tip of the iceberg.

I have been getting disappointed in our Hammer as we are barely reaching 40 yards on the punts...then he puts in a 50+ punt but I would like them to be more consistent.

Meanwhile speaking of kickers...CHASE McLAUPHLIN dare I say this kid is the best kicker I have seen us have since heck if he keeps on kicking this way he's better than the great Dawson...lol but he can kick 50 yarders like they are extra points!

Well what did you see? Don't let these talking heads fool you as we played great and they chose to show a bevy of Baker misses as our hi-lights. Meanwhile we got a Bears 46 or a Ravens D of 2000 going on right in front of their eyes and they refuse to talk about it....smh

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
C
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
C
Originally Posted By: eotab
One question I do have for Baker is late in the game and us getting another first down would be great for the clock. Baker is scrambling to the right oh heck its like 8-9 seconds already and Baker is running towards that LOS all the while there is Felton 2-3 yards pass the line to gain (as these guys like to say now) But standing there all by hiimself...my wife (who does my yelling for me now a days lol) is yelling THROW THE BALL HE'S WIDE OPEN!!! I too was thinking Baker I can't believe you didn't throw that ball, why and then as he ran for a yard way short of the 1st (sorry can't sophisticate myself to say "line of gain") I'm thinking, has to be that Baker so more that one OL downfield by now blocking for him and him he threw the ball a flag was going to follow so that the only shot he had was to run for it! Good athlete he is but Lamar he is not.

I heard her and agreed...lol.

good summary

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Well lets begin.

I see Tab is still gifting us with his what I saw, I usually don't have much to say because by the time I see it up everyone has covered it, and what would I do, is say the same thing over.

Not sure what is wrong with Baker I guess will have to wait for the book to come out. I think it's something physical and it's playing with his head.

No way to say it nicely I love the kid his play needs to improve he is missing open receivers and as you mentioned he missed Felton for a 1st.

I don't want this to turn into a OBJ thing this issue lies with Baker, but you simply can't throw the whole OBJ thing over your shoulder. I think it MIGHT be time to think about trading OBJ, not his fault I believe he has been as advertised but Baker just isn't comfortable with OBJ and everything goes sorta sideways for him with OBJ on the field. Easily the strangest thing I have ever seen???

I also truly believe that we need what OBJ brings to the table, sorta makes me sad that our best move with these 2 may be to say bye bye to OBJ. I leave this to Berry and Ski, 2 men I have grown to have tremendous respect for.

I for the 1st time found myself frustrated with Ski's play calling. The wife was mad as hell and I had to remind her and myself how great he usually does and how well the team responds to him. When you have a 1st and goal from the 4 run the ball Ski please. Oh and the clock needed to have a few less seconds on it anyway.

As it was it ended up being a sorta blessing because we got the ball back and added a FG to end the half.

I want to say this. The crew we have running this team is the best I believe in the NFL if they say something or do something I believe it is with a purpose which is to build a program where we win some damned football games. It isn't always going to be perfect but I believe above anything they got this. So take any perceived criticism with that in light when I write.

I also believe in Baker Mayfield we wouldn't be the team we are without him and humans have stretches where things just don't work like he or we would like Baker will be fine.

I saw as did many of you I am sure AVP and Ski approach Baker towards the end of the game, whatever was said had Baker upset. I would think there was a long talk today about what was said, Baker like the rest of us has to believe in these guys who are working with him. I am sure he thought about it and was in today working on what they are asking him for.

The defense is so good it's scary and this team is championship caliper right now today. To think they will get better is unbelievable.

It truly starts up front with Garret, Jackson, McDowell, and Clowney. these guys are all bringing it every single play they are all out. Then they are bringing in Takk on 3rd downs and kicking Clowney inside they are simply unstoppable. Cuz is no joke and they made his afternoon a nightmare.

Jok one of the things that jumps out is how fast he is. I am not a big college football guy so my 1st real exposure to Jok was the pre season he jumped off my TV set with how truly fast he is. In the Bears game a lane opened right in front of him as soon as he saw it he was all over Fields. His instincts are off the charts he is a ball hawk. If he doesn't make the play he blows up the blocker and allows his teammates to finish off the ball carrier. What a great great great daft pick. He is as advertised and in fact I can't even begin to tell you how trilled I am to have this kid in the fold.

Greedy Williams, man oh man the kid hasn't started in 2 years gets his shot and he is all over it, I will be honest I didn't think much of him in his 1st year but while he didn't play he sure was all in on the mental side of the game and more importantly what he has learned while out showed up in this game. Oh and against top shelf talent.

There is no aspect of this defense that isn't well manned and it's so nice to be able to see Baker have an off day and for the defense to pick up the slack and put on a performance like they did. Yup folks there that good.

Will it be like that every week. I doubt it, but lets hope??

Tabber I know you have health issues, I need you to hang in, and congratulations to Evan and his bride.... Great young man I was so impressed with him when I met him. Your poor wife is sent from heaven. Hard for me to believe she was yelling at the TV. Seems so calm and loving the Browns do strange things to people, don't they?

We are on track to win it all folks that's what I see clearest of all............

Gotta get to 1-0 next week. We have some work to do as a team I believe it will get done.... Who is with me?

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Good post, Tabber.

I never thought about the aspect of illegal man downfield. I don't know if that was the case, but I sure hope that was what was going through Baker's head, because otherwise, that left my jaw wide open.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
as usual, Tab covers everything so well...

I can't figure out what's up with Baker.. I mean, come on young fella.. Get your game on again.. Must be the left shoulder.. I guess. But that just doesn't seem right.. Coach says not, Baker Says no... but damn it, performance says if not that, what?

Anyway,,, On to the Best D in the land.

2 weeks ago, fans were asking/demanding that Joe Woods be fired.. now he's a genius... So much for those that wish to be Jim Rome Clones.. Be brash and mostly wrong

Garrett and Clowney are doing exactly as we thought they would. But they aren't alone.

Newly minted 1st round pick goes down, second round pick that missed a year due to injury comes in and does a terrific job.

Delpit is taking hold... gotta love that..

JOK,,, seriously,, the kid is everywhere.

Irony: the guy we released ended up on the Vikings and ended up committing a penalty that may just have cost them the game. what the hell was sheldon thinking.

All in all, we won. That's all that really matters. But Bakers has to get something going.. SOON

Last edited by Damanshot; 10/04/21 06:22 PM.

#GMSTRONG

“Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts.”
Daniel Patrick Moynahan

"Alternative facts hurt us all. Think before you blindly believe."
Damanshot
Legend
Legend
Quote:
I don't want this to turn into a OBJ thing this issue lies with Baker, but you simply can't throw the whole OBJ thing over your shoulder. I think it MIGHT be time to think about trading OBJ, not his fault I believe he has been as advertised but Baker just isn't comfortable with OBJ and everything goes sorta sideways for him with OBJ on the field. Easily the strangest thing I have ever seen???

I also truly believe that we need what OBJ brings to the table, sorta makes me sad that our best move with these 2 may be to say bye bye to OBJ.

I do not buy this line of thinking for a second. Literally, other than some pretty thin correlations that require you to ignore absolutely everything else, it holds no water at all.

Baker needs to fix Baker.
The rest will fall into place after that.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Good post, Tabber.

I never thought about the aspect of illegal man downfield. I don't know if that was the case, but I sure hope that was what was going through Baker's head, because otherwise, that left my jaw wide open.

damn, I never considered that, either..... anyone have the All-22??

Browns is the Browns

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Quote:

I also truly believe that we need what OBJ brings to the table, sorta makes me sad that our best move with these 2 may be to say bye bye to OBJ.

I do not buy this line of thinking for a second. Literally, other than some pretty thin correlations that require you to ignore absolutely everything else, it holds no water at all.

Baker needs to fix Baker.
The rest will fall into place after that.

I don't necessarily disagree with the idea that Baker needs to fix Baker, and it's hard for me to believe that OBJ could possibly be that big a negative for Baker.

Having said that do numbers lie?

Do your eyes lie? Mine said he played better without OBJ, and now OBJ comes back and here we are again. Logic says it's BS, but eyes and numbers say it's real? willynilly

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
Good post, Tabber.

damn, I never considered that, either..... anyone have the All-22??

I seriously doubt Baker is counting heads while running??? But hey right? willynilly

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

L
Legend
Legend
L
Anyone can count to two, if they see the OL downfield

[Linked Image from i28.photobucket.com]

gmstrong

-----------------

2023: The year we got a legit D.
Legend
Legend
If a fat man is running upfield, it's not hard to see.

Browns is the Browns

T
Legend
Legend
T
I always have trouble reading peoples minds on abbreviations. It took me 5 minutes to get that Cuz = Kirk Cousins, though context did give me it meant the quarterback somehow.
Man,
Celine Dion can bring it sometimes.

D
Legend
Legend
D
I saw Ski coach like poop … he’s human, lets hope that’s his yip for the year ….

I saw Bake play like poop, very unBake like, every QB has bad games … Bake will have another one or two … quit making excuses for him tabber, he was bad on a few levels it happens bro … your way way better than device but your excuses bring u down to his level my friend …

I saw analytics have a bad day … the probable outcomes didn’t work out yesterday …. Like with Ski and Bake analytics had a bad day …. It’s gonna happen as there only probable outcomes not guarantees ….. I do hope we start letting our FG kicker get more chances even if analytics says go for it, I’m not sure if he’s hot or good but he’s on fire right now, ride the hot hand while u can and hopefully at the end of the year we’l know he’s good and not just hot …

I saw a D shut down a very good O … after an incredibly rocky start witch was to be expected, there playing better than I thought they could the last two games this early in the season … there gonna have yips but barring injury we could be real good …. Hopefully the D can have a bad game and the dolts won’t be screaming for Woods head …

With Ski, Bake and analytics having a really bad day we still won on the road against a team with a really good O … WOOOOHOOOOOOOoooooooooo

3 - 1 … LETS GOOOOOOOOoooooooooo thumbsup

O
Legend
Legend
O

rofl Too Funny to not quote.

Your feelings and opinions do not add up to facts.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Offensively That looked similar to the 6-38 loss in the opener last year. With a better score result.
Hopefully Bakers' shoulder and everyone elses injuries heal up soon. (Bench Schwartz for Higgins).

Can Deshaun Watson play better for the Browns, than Baker Mayfield would have? ... Now the Games count.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
I will say that the Greedy int was a thing of beauty and coaching and recognition. He knew his primary assignment and broke it off and hightailed it to the spot that was recognized and made the int. A slower player does not get there.

Great play by a player who has been injury prone, but healthy on a day when we needed him.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker

rofl rofl rofl

That's a picture I could have done without...... rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: clwb419

I heard her and agreed...lol.

good summary

We all agree with that. There was also the play where he was running and did some "high step" move or whatever it was.

Baker....you are a lead foot. You have the speed of Paul Zukaskas. It is the weakness of your game. Don't go out there trying to look like Lamar Jackson, it won't work, it doesn't look good on you.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: THROW LONG
I always have trouble reading peoples minds on abbreviations. It took me 5 minutes to get that Cuz = Kirk Cousins, though context did give me it meant the quarterback somehow.
Man,
Celine Dion can bring it sometimes.

Now you know how you make everyone feel like after reading one of your posts
rofl

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
Originally Posted By: DiamDawg
I saw Ski coach like poop … he’s human, lets hope that’s his yip for the year ….

I saw Bake play like poop, very unBake like, every QB has bad games … Bake will have another one or two … quit making excuses for him tabber, he was bad on a few levels it happens bro … your way way better than device but your excuses bring u down to his level my friend …

I saw analytics have a bad day … the probable outcomes didn’t work out yesterday …. Like with Ski and Bake analytics had a bad day …. It’s gonna happen as there only probable outcomes not guarantees ….. I do hope we start letting our FG kicker get more chances even if analytics says go for it, I’m not sure if he’s hot or good but he’s on fire right now, ride the hot hand while u can and hopefully at the end of the year we’l know he’s good and not just hot …

I saw a D shut down a very good O … after an incredibly rocky start witch was to be expected, there playing better than I thought they could the last two games this early in the season … there gonna have yips but barring injury we could be real good …. Hopefully the D can have a bad game and the dolts won’t be screaming for Woods head …

With Ski, Bake and analytics having a really bad day we still won on the road against a team with a really good O … WOOOOHOOOOOOOoooooooooo

3 - 1 … LETS GOOOOOOOOoooooooooo thumbsup

I'm better than that as if I committed some grievous error.

I do happen to know about the position of football...Its obvious not even an excuse level that the shoulder is effecting him. Put yourself in his position and roll to your left that lead shoulder (left) is so important in the accuracy of the throw. Bakers play action roll to the left have been horrific since the injury. On the run Baker was so accurate what it entails as a QB to throw the ball like Rodgers and others is you have to relax the entire upper body, its got to be totally loose - he cannot achieve that with the injured left shoulder also on any pass 15+ yards he labors to get it there accurately, why? cause he isn't totally loose where he can see and then throw totally loose to his targets instead he tightens up and is off as he throws those shots where as in before the injury he could thread a needle on those throws. How does one go from the BEST (was I dreaming that he was the most accurate QB???) to one of the worst - 2 games pro, 2 games con. The variable involved is simple - THE FREAKING SHOULDER that was hanging to his side when he injured it.

Why would Baker and Ski say its ok...well for one you don't want everyone targeting his left shoulder knowing its injured.

Whatever it is he is still a better option than Case Keenum. We do need a better back up in case we lose Baker for a string of games.

But my friend I know its excuses but you forget one thing...Its also the facts true and blue.

The good news - I'm sure he is taking baths and heat should now be a positive for him. We will see him slowly return to form where he doesn't have to THINK his throws but just SEE and DO!

Diam answering other posts after this lol love you and I'm real as I first said he had a terrible game but what would be scary is that he is perfectly normal and this is just who Baker is...Some good some bad with no reason??? HUH really that is not reality cause if that is the case then we need to draft yet again another QB. Excuse or reality?

OBJ...the guy is an excellent WR one who has sure hands - but it is obvious that he and Baker are not always on the same page. For one reason or another they just have not been able to practice together. That is my only negative on OBJ. I've been proud of his blocking and he is doing all we ask him to do. But look at Baker and Higgins, Baker and Landry - that fit like a glove just is not there with OBJ. Again practices missed will have to slowly be made up for by action in the games. Scripted plays they are good after the game is going on that is when their uncomfortable union is in full view.

Some of it is OBJ's fault as in his first season he refused to practice with the team...he had his own regimen that he does well fine and dandy that put him in good shape and all but no kizmet with the QB...next year it was Covid and injury so until game 3 there really was no practice with each other and guess what IT SHOWS!!!

I love the way we just wear teams down with the run game as in the beginning I'm going OH OH they got our number...well that number gets worn down and all of a sudden we are getting 7+ yards per carry with the same personnel -

Hudson LT actually looked pretty good and I think he should give Wills a break for a week to finally get him healed.

You can always bring Wills in if Hudson just can't cut it.

Linemen down field - trust me that would be all that was in front of him Felton who he just didn't throw to (maybe right off the bat was ok) but he definitely could see OL down field and I say that only cause it appeared to me BAKER was going to run so as an OL I'm off and running. Don't know cause it was an after thought but if so Baker surely would see it. If not then I cannot think of anything else...he thought Felton was on the sidelines (he had to take a shot in the head to be seeing that saywhat lol)

We need Baker to throw more to our WRs DPJ and Higgins as OBJ gets his targets but the others do not. I'm tired of Harrison Bryant as a main target...like the kid but he has hands the size of my grandson (who is not yet 1 years old).

He doesn't jump and catch like other stud TE's do. Njoku should be the guy but for some reason he doesn't get used, Bryant gets the good routes.

O will get better and the scary part so will the D! Is Billings still on the team? Later guys time for a pain pill so that I will become stupid now willynilly I know you guys are saying "become stupid now???"

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Hudson LT actually looked pretty good and I think he should give Wills a break for a week to finally get him healed.

[/color]

Hubbard was back in Limited Participation this past week. I'm hoping he can get back to Full Participation by Thursday. Then, we can start Hudson while still giving Hubbard rest, and if need be, we can then put Hubs in while holding Wills out as a last resort.

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Here's what I think I saw from the O & STs:

Baker had a bad, bad game;

Baker's shoulder is causing him physical problems. 26 year old pros don't lose their physical attributes (essentially overnight) without some injury issue;

If Baker is too focused on feeding OBJ, then that's on Baker. He's the boss now...OBJ works for HIM;

Both of our OTs are not playing well right now. They are both dinged up and not moving like they can/have/should. The interior OL looks very, very good again.;

I don't think - and got into with "he who's name shall not be spoken" last year - that our "weapons" are all that special outside of Chubb/Hunt.

OBJ might still be special...but we aren't seeing SPECIAL just yet. I think it needs more time.

Landry is very good and the glue to the weapons that we DO have...he's out another week at the minimum. He makes the most out of what he really is.

Higgins is a terrific #3 WR. But when your #1 isn't playing like a #1 yet and your #2 is out...well...you know.

DPJ and Schwartz are young, developmental guys who flash every now and again. DPJ rarely gets separation and Schwartz is still in the doghouse for running his route like an old man instead of a world-class sprinter.

Njoku/Hooper/Bryant are all good TEs. But not one guy is special. I'm not expecting Kelce or Andrews type of special but the guys like the Bengals Ozumoah make plays that NONE of our TEs could hope to make;

I'll put this here again so no heads explode...Baker had a bad, bad game vs the Vikings;

Our Kicker is playing with a great deal of well-deserved/earned confidence right now. Our STs play has been very good...I think Prieffer deserves a lot of credit for that...and YES...having a good roster from 1-53 makes his success much more attainable.

I love KS. Probably our best coach since Marty. I hope he's our HC until he retires. But I lose my mind when we run these empty backfield sets...and regardless of down and distance. Chubb/Hunt/Felton are all weapons to run the ball, run a pass pattern/outlet and/or catch a screen pass. All three of those guys are special players/playmakers...much more so than a 3rd TE on the field or any WR not named OBJ/Landry/Higgins;

The OT's and C are dinged up...Baker is dinged up...and the message to the Defense is that we are going to pass the ball. Hunt - in particular - is a fantastic pass-blocking RB;

Lastly on KS...why the infatuation with the Pistol? Baker is not a statue...but he's no threat to run the ball unless it's some bootleg/mis-direction thing...which you wouldn't run from the pistol anyway. Get Baker under center for play-action options...let Chubb/Hunt line up behind Baker where they can see the OL move in front of them giving them an extra 1/2 second to decide where to go...I know we can throw form the Pistol too...but it just looks clunky when we do so.

Clarification: KS has forgotten more about football than I will ever know.

JMO

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W

[/color]

Hubbard was back in Limited Participation this past week. I'm hoping he can get back to Full Participation by Thursday. Then, we can start Hudson while still giving Hubbard rest, and if need be, we can then put Hubs in while holding Wills out as a last resort.

Agreed...this is the classic week to take advantage of the new rule for game-day actives when you can have an 'additional' player active if that additional player is an OL.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I think Njoku is that special guy but for whatever reason the Browns don't use him like they should or could.

I know the brass in Cleveland see's him that way and I know Ski must or he would not have had is 5th year option picked up.

It's sorta sad cause I think we are missing out on Njoku he truly has special in him, but he doesn't call the plays nor does he design them.

Perhaps the thing with Bryant is can he do the job? If not do we fall back on Njoku?

Seems to me the Browns have wasted a lot of money on Njoku and likely based on early season returns they might as well have not picked up his 5th...

True enough there is no shortage of weapons on the Browns Njoku I believe could easily add another dimension if only the Browns would use him.

I can understand why you might skip over Njoku and I bet you are shocked at the number of teams that will go after him if he makes it to FA.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend
I agree about Njoku. I think he could be utilized even more. Plus he’s worked on his blocking

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody in this offense is going to get the # of touches to really maximize their impact. There are too many guys that "need" more touches, and for the WRs and TEs, Baker (when he's playing well) likes to distribute the ball. He's not a guy that does well when specific pass-catchers are emphasized. I think this is the same for the offense, in general, where a big staple is many options for plays off of same/similar looks. The unfortunate reality is that a guy like Njoku just isn't going to get the targets he needs/should get.

I have been really impressed with his play, though. In his limited opportunities so far he's done really well. I've kinda done a flip-flop with the TEs this season.... Hooper has the albatross of a contract, but he really doesn't stand out in any particular area. He doesn't have bad hands, but my mind always goes to him being the #1 paid TE whenever he lets ones go through his hands (doesn't happen often, but it happens).

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
Legend
Legend
well, if the offense was clicking better the last two weeks, he'd have been used more.

Chicken<->Egg.

Everyone looks underutilized right now because nobody not named Chubb or Hunt was doing anything the last two weeks.
Besides that, in this offense, with this coaching staff, there will never be anyone that is THE GUY. We will spread it around constantly; that is what keeps defenses from being able to say "just take away 'that_player' and you stop them". Defenses can't focus on anyone because we can hurt them with everyone.

Like everything, it's a trade-off. We don't get a player that will be the BSPN stat darling that announcers will ogle on Monday Nights, but we do get a group of professionals that all can hurt a defense at the drop of a hat.

Browns is the Browns

W
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
I can understand why you might skip over Njoku and I bet you are shocked at the number of teams that will go after him if he makes it to FA.

I'm not intentionally skipping over Njoku's potential/value in my critique of our overall 'weapons'. You and I are quite like-minded in what we think he CAN do or be...but...for some reason he just isn't yet. I don't know if that's on him, Baker, KS or just the circumstances...or all of the above.

He's quite valuable even at his current level of production/usage...but as of right now, he's not special...even though I think he could be.

Legend
Legend
He *is* special. His stats aren't, right now.

Browns is the Browns

B
Legend
Legend
B
He *is* special. His stats aren't, right now.

And he has been for what seems like 20 years now.

Maybe he needs another year to break out in to the beast some think he can become?

Wait, he will need a new contract. I suppose we need to give him a big contract because he is going to become a beast.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
P
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
P
I know this, I’d trade Njoku’s promise for Waller, Kelce, Kittle, or Andrews’ actual production.

[Linked Image]
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: PortlandDawg
I know this, I’d trade Njoku’s promise for Waller, Kelce, Kittle, or Andrews’ actual production.

I think that is a problem with some fans they don't see talent as an indictor of what they could be...

Njoku has all the tools and I don't see game tape so I can't see if he is or isn't getting open, but when there is a play to be made he displays play making ability.

He is easily one of our most athletic players and has shown good hands.

Having said those things I see him as an almost totally ignored resource.

Not one of those players you named would do better if nobody ever threw them the ball....

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Legend
Legend

Before this game I posted that this game should give us a real measure of the defense.

First game Chiefs away. Tough game for a new defense.

Second game Texans. Tyrod went down. He was playing well. A rookie came in and we got to him.

The Bears were unprepared for our defense. Fields was put into a bad position by a horrible game plan.

The Vikings came in hot on offense. Cousins was throwing 73% completion rate. 8TD's 0 ints. Had not thrown a int. in 200 plays. Zimmer said their offense was playing better than he had ever seen. They are a talented offense all the way around.

First drive they came right down the field.

After that they never had a chance. The Browns suffocated them. Swarmed to the ball. Pushed the pocket. Applied constant pressure. Stopped their runners. Covered their receivers. Got the big turnover.

Unreal effort by the defense against a top offense.

Every player on the defense played well. Big games from a bunch of players.

Myles, JOK, Ward, McDowell, M Jackson, JJ3, Clowney, Greedy, Hill, Delpit.

I mean damn they were amazing. This is a big deal. It was the fourth game. The defense is improving each game.

When you play defense at this level. You automatically are in the game. The offense has to protect the ball and make a few plays.

The luxury the Browns have is their ability to run the ball. No team can do what we can do running the football.

KS and AVP will fix the offense. Baker will play better.

After four games the Browns are in great shape. We are not to beat up on injuries. Jarvis will be back for the Cardinals.

There are some things to clean up but nothing that can not be done.

I wonder a little about Baker in the pocket. They mis-direction roll outs have been taken out. Maybe because there is a bunch of tape that is now out there and defenses have adjusted. Baker seems to be more on target when moving and out of the pocket.

He feels pressure from the LT. When he climbs the pocket. He is not resetting with confidence. He hurries.

He needs to slide to open space under control and trust what he sees.

IMO Baker will work his way out. He knows what has to be fixed. He will work to correct the problems.

So, in conclusion. I feel great. We are actually better than what I thought. Because I was not sure the defense would be this good so quickly.

S
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
S
But yet, many have posted that Ward played horrible. I thought he was pretty good. Even the best will give up a play to a good reciever.

"The Elf is killing the Curse"
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Originally Posted By: Steubenvillian
But yet, many have posted that Ward played horrible. I thought he was pretty good. Even the best will give up a play to a good reciever.

I think Ward had a rougher game than we are used to seeing, but he certainly earned his paycheck.

"Hey, I'm a reasonable guy. But I've just experienced some very unreasonable things."
-Jack Burton

-It looks like the Harvard Boys know what they are doing after all.
M
Legend
Legend
M
Linemen down field - trust me that would be all that was in front of him Felton who he just didn't throw to (maybe right off the bat was ok) but he definitely could see OL down field and I say that only cause it appeared to me BAKER was going to run so as an OL I'm off and running. Don't know cause it was an after thought but if so Baker surely would see it. If not then I cannot think of anything else...he thought Felton was on the sidelines (he had to take a shot in the head to be seeing that saywhat lol)

There were no offensive lineman downfield. Baker was so locked on OBJ that he never saw Felton wide open for an easy first down.

Legend
Legend
I gotta admit- this one still has me scratchinh my head.
Dude- what?

"too many notes, not enough music-"
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
A piss poor decision was that.

It was obvious on the play, and even more obvious on the replay.

There will be no playoffs. Can’t play with who we have out there and compounding it with garbage playcalling and worse execution. We don’t have good skill players on offense period. Browns 20 - Bears 17.

E
eotab Offline OP
Legend
OP Offline
Legend
E
thanks yep no OL downfield... maybe the biggest bonehead play by Baker...was it obj he was locked into...smh come on Baker get in the game.

Last edited by eotab; 10/06/21 08:44 AM.

Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

Legend
Legend
Is that OBJ at the top outside? Is he looking at DPJ running the Slant from bottom up?

Doesn't matter. Not taking the 1st down with Felton was pure idiocy and inexcusable. Priority 1 is keeping the drive going so that you get to stay on the field.

Browns is the Browns

Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums The Archives 2021 NFL Season Looking Back: Browns 14 Vikings 7 What I saw Minn Vikings

Link Copied to Clipboard