Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
We have called up Elijah Lee (who I really like) and Odenigbo after Anthony Walker and then Jarvis Landry went to IR. I think Odenigbo already IS the pass rusher they hoped Weaver would become.

Walker is eligible to return for week #5 and Landry for week #6. A lot can happen between now and then so there is certainly no urgency.

Looking at our roster it is difficult to figure out who is on the in-season bubble. Our least-utilized guys are guys like: Fields, Togiai, Hudson...all this year's picks and developmental guys unlikely to help THIS year.

Assuming those rookies are "safe" who is your most-likely next roster move?

O
Legend
Legend
O
I don't think he's on any sort of short leash, but we've heard absolutely zilch about Takk since his pre-season drama. If a guy like Odenigbo takes to the D surprisingly well, it's not a great look for someone like Takk.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I wouldn't be surprised by a Takk move.

Thinking about Oline, if they really like Hudson's upside BUT still had Hance as the backup LT as they did Sunday...I'm thinking Hubbard might be a casualty if they keep Hudson. Hance showed no worse than Hubbard at LT. However, that leaves us rather thin at Oline...especially if Hudson cannot be relied-upon.

I think Hubbard's contract is now guaranteed (after week one for vets?) so maybe he's safe...which I am ok with. Just spitballin'.

Legend
Legend
Mack Wilson played a bit better last week (tough not to do), but I still think he’s not good

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
M Wilson, Fields, E Lee

Walker, JOK, M Smith

I'm guessing E Lee goes back to the PS when Walker is available.

They like something they see in M Wilson

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
What is it with the lust for blood we just put the roster together and we are already onto evaluations, firings and a new coaching staff.

I think its time we bounced a few fans.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
T
Legend
Legend
T
Who is your most likely next roster move.

The most likely next move is no change in the roster.
I think it's likely neither Anthony Walker or Jarvis Landry return from IR in the next couple weeks.
I don't remember what Walkers injury was.
To discuss Landry, with a reported sprained/strained/torn something< MCL listed week to week.

MCL's and week to week injuries. In history I don't remember week to weeks ever being just a couple weeks, now, I think they take the full time to heal up, I'm thinking at least 10 weeks range, but,
if the part, body part, that is actually injured, is tertiary or insignificant enough that in an emergency the player could play a snap, or snaps, then I think they list them as week to week; but they rarely return until after significant time has passed.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: Brown to the Bone
What is it with the lust for blood we just put the roster together and we are already onto evaluations, firings and a new coaching staff.

I think its time we bounced a few fans.

Lust for blood? My goodness.

Newsflash: We have TWO starters on IR. They CAN return in weeks 5 and 6. That means that TWO guys on the roster today will NOT be on the roster after the starters return.

The point of the thread is to debate who might stay/stick on what has become a talented roster.

I think some fans are way too old to float around like a snowflake looking for something that "offends" them. Blood lust. willynilly

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
I thought it was interesting that the Browns promoted Odenigo before Porter Gustin.

E Lee up for A Walker is a LB for LB move.

When Landry went down, they Browns brought up a DE. They are clearly aware that they need help getting to the QB. I think that (not forcing a WR for WR change) also shows confidence in the WR group...and/or the overall group of players who can catch the ball.

I think Odenigbo is auditioning to stick on the 53. If he shows up well, Billings will be a large man floating on a bubble IMO.

R
Legend
Legend
R
We need to see Njoku split out wide a lot while Landry is out. He's a matchup nightmare. Use him.

Legend
Legend
When we went with 3 TE last week, I seem to recall seeing Bryant flexed out wide on several plays.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

John 14:19 Jesus said: Because I live, you also will live.
T
Legend
Legend
T
That changes nothing about the plays where another player should, or also should be split out wide.
Njoku, Hunt, other, Felton?, DPJ, or other; while Landry is out.
One of Bryants' catches, from the game, which comes to mind, looked slow developing and unstable, but they made it. There is always something to clean up.

T
Legend
Legend
T
Originally Posted By: WSU Willie
Newsflash: We have TWO starters on IR. They CAN return in weeks 5 and 6. That means that TWO guys on the roster today will NOT be on the roster after the starters return.

The point of the thread is to debate who might stay/stick.
With in-season injuries, and inactive gameday players, it is likely, we won't even notice, who is called up or let go.
They'll go probably to the practice squad anyway, and a P.S. player who they replace will be the one released, so that it will be even less noticeable.
If I have to come up with someone, think Offensive lineman # 10, or some Wr,
well, think about it, maybe somebody who fills a role vs. a certain opponent, will be requested, like Ofeyeddi Odenigbo for week #3.
The debate you are loking for, hardly exists because we won't notice roster moves from inactive on gmeday-practice squad and practice squad to waived with a futures contract.
Cornerback, AJ Green, just because I remember, was waived from p.s.and signed again later to the P.S. Last Season, in November 2020.
Do you remember noticing? He is on the active roster today, last check.

Last edited by THROW LONG; 09/25/21 04:56 PM. Reason: add remember, remove a definition of remember
R
Legend
Legend
R
I was disappointed in Bryant's effort after contact last week. He goes down very easy. Slight contact and he's tripping all over the place and stumbling.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
At least you know who you are................ rofl rofl

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Can't believe I am in a group that is comprised of the best NOT just fans but people on the planet.
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
M Wilson, Fields, E Lee

Walker, JOK, M Smith

I'm guessing E Lee goes back to the PS when Walker is available.

They like something they see in M Wilson

He posts a lot on social media.

Blocking those who argue to argue, eliminates the argument.
B
Legend
Legend
B
Originally Posted By: Rishuz
I was disappointed in Bryant's effort after contact last week. He goes down very easy. Slight contact and he's tripping all over the place and stumbling.

Maybe. I guess I'll have to watch for that, but as a receiving TE, I am not all that concerned with his yardage after contact.

He is a good player and I am happy with that. Long ago I have come to the realization that rarely are you going to have the perfect player.

If everybody had like minds, we would never learn.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
Legend
Legend
Originally Posted By: Ballpeen
Originally Posted By: Rishuz

Maybe. I guess I'll have to watch for that, but as a receiving TE, I am not all that concerned with his yardage after contact.

He is a good player and I am happy with that. Long ago I have come to the realization that rarely are you going to have the perfect player.
haha this is true about both Bryant and Janovich. They topple over like those wobbly clown things

"First down inside the 10. A score here will put us in the Super Bowl. Cooper is far to the left as Njoku settles into the slot. Moore is flanked out wide to the right. Chubb and Ford are split in the backfield as Watson takes the snap ... Here we go."
B
Legend
Legend
B
Janovich is a whole different story. I am not even sure why Stefanski keeps that guy on the team.

I love Stefanski but I think the guy makes a mistake in keeping a fullback active...and the wrong one at that. At least Stanton was a QB in college. If pressed, you could probably use him as an emergency QB if we had 2 QB's knocked out of the game.

I find at least a little insurance value in that.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
E
Legend
Legend
E
Bryant runs good routes and has dependable hands he is also protecting the ball (maybe why his YAC is not great) as he fumbled last year.

I have noticed we are stocking up on TE...we signed the Alabama TE who played well there (everyone played well there lol) and just yesterday I think a kid from a small school who spent a little time with the Bengals in 2019 and 2020 - practice squad players I guess. We also promoted Franks from the practice squad. Probably to block on punts and play some special teams - more likely going to be inactive.

Some weird rule has teams allowed to bring players in from the practice squad and you can have 55 on the roster. Those players immediately after the game revert to practice squad automatically.

Defense wins championships. Watson play your butt off!
Go Browns!
CHRIST HAS RISEN!

GM Strong! & Stay safe everyone!
O
Legend
Legend
O
I love our Oline. I would change nothing (except if there was a way to get them all healthy). But at some points they look like they could a little extra 'blunt force trauma'. Cue Janovich.

There is no level of sucking we haven't seen; in fact, I'm pretty sure we hold the patents on a few levels of sucking NOBODY had seen until the past few years.

-PrplPplEater
W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
A Walker is eligible to come off IR this week. I haven't heard a peep about his re-hab.

M Smith has played quite well in his place...so maybe no rush to activate him.

I'd hate to see Walker come back and Smith move over to JOKs starting spot.

I'd have a hard time cutting E Lee over Billings right now to make room.

Legend
Legend
Odenigbo would likely be the one to go to the Practice Squad, or Lee; maybe LeCounte since we're so deep in the secondary. Maybe Mack Wilson gets traded?

I don't see a lot of other choices. It's going to be even tougher when Landry comes back, too.

We have a lot of quality at the bottom of our roster.
It will be very interesting as to whether or not Walker gets his starting role back. I'm not totally certain he is better than Smith.

Odd Note that I didn't know: Derrick Willies is on the Reserve/Retired list.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
DL Joe Jackson 5 7% No stats registered.
DL Andrew Billings 5 7% No stats registered.

LB Sione Takitaki 24 36% 2 tackles, 1 assist (3 combined).
LB Elijah Lee 14 21% 2 tackles (2 combined).
LB Mack Wilson 11 16% No stats registered.

From Grateful's post in another thread. Just based on snap counts, these seem to be the player's at most risk. I didn't include anybody from the defensive backfield because we have too many frequently injured players there to risk being thin there. I also didn't include anyone who didn't get any snaps because they weren't in the snap count. But all of those players would be at risk as well.

No one on offense stood out based on play counts. But certainly Wills and or Hubbard could go on IR.

Don't blame the clown for acting like a clown.
Ask yourself why you keep going to the circus.
Legend
Legend
Joe Jackson, even though he is ahead of Odenigbo on the depth chart, is a possibility.

I do not see Takitaki going as he has contributed.
A Mack Wilson trade makes the most sense to me.

Browns is the Browns

... there goes Joe Thomas, the best there ever was in this game.

W
Hall of Famer
OP Offline
Hall of Famer
W
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Odenigbo would likely be the one to go to the Practice Squad, or Lee; maybe LeCounte since we're so deep in the secondary. Maybe Mack Wilson gets traded?

I don't see a lot of other choices. It's going to be even tougher when Landry comes back, too.

We have a lot of quality at the bottom of our roster.
It will be very interesting as to whether or not Walker gets his starting role back. I'm not totally certain he is better than Smith.

Odd Note that I didn't know: Derrick Willies is on the Reserve/Retired list.

You may already know this but...I'll add to the dilemma that these guys must first be cut before they can revert to our practice squad...so they are subject to the waiver wire unless they are a vet of some sort.

Billings has been MIA until the Vikings game where he got a few snaps...even Jordan Elliot at DT has been rather invisible. With MG and Clowney sometimes lining up inside, I'm not sure we need two other DTs on the 53 with the Maliks. FYI: Sheldon Day is still on our PS...I think he's a better DT than Billings anyway.

Unfortunately, I think E Lee is a possible cut...but only because he's an unknown that might slip back to our PS.

I don't think we'd miss Mack Wilson....especially now that Fields is playing STs.

Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
Originally Posted By: PrplPplEater
Joe Jackson, even though he is ahead of Odenigbo on the depth chart, is a possibility.

I do not see Takitaki going as he has contributed.
A Mack Wilson trade makes the most sense to me.

I'd rather trade the old LB whose value is inflated by the fact that opponents don't account for him. Plus, at his age, he's only going to slow down. Smith's high PFF grade might convince someone to give up a pick.

My only hesitance is the signal caller aspect. The rest of the D functioned well with him out there in Minnesota. But if Walker is back in that role....

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
You mess with the "Bull," you get the horns.
Fiercely Independent.
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Based on what I've seen, I would play Lee over Wilson 100% of the time.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Legend
Legend
Willies retired in training camp.

I see no way that LeCounte would be exposed to waivers, because the only real reason he fell in the draft was that teams worried that he might never recover from his accident. Preseason showed that he was recovered. It is only our depth that is keeping him off the field right now. I am pretty sure the team has plans for him when Harrison becomes a free agent next year.

Micah 6:8; He has shown you, O mortal, what is good. And what does the Lord require of you? To act justly and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with your God.

B
Legend
Legend
B
A Walker is eligible to come off IR this week. I haven't heard a peep about his re-hab.

M Smith has played quite well in his place...so maybe no rush to activate him.

I'd hate to see Walker come back and Smith move over to JOKs starting spot.

I'd have a hard time cutting E Lee over Billings right now to make room.

No doubt on Lee.

This brings up a point that i have been thinking about for a while now. Maybe a little Berry ego is starting to surface?

Not much, but Billings is a total flop and pretty much useless at this point.

A case might be able to be made in keeping Fields and Togai or however you spell the guys name. If Billings can beat him out for active duty, how good can he be? Fields could be another, but both of them are young so i guess a case can be made....stocking for the future.

I am a bit concerned some of the players we are stocking aren't going to be any good. Does anybody think Nick Harris as an example is going to be a solid interior line replacement?

I think our pro scouting is better than our college scouting at this point along both lines.

GM Strong

[Linked Image]
O
Legend
Legend
O
Nobody bats 1.000

If Nick Harris doesn't round out into Tretter's heir, then Berry will cross that bridge when he gets to it. They've seemed to hit on enough guys (both draft and pro) to gain and keep my confidence. They've also shown that they're not afraid to challenge 'their' guys and cut them loose if the situation indicates (Weaver, Parkey are examples off the top of my head).

They definitely don't seem to make knee-jerk moves. It seems (to me) they don't like to cut talented guys loose unless they're sure.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
I'm intrigued by Harris. He was a mixed bag last season. I think he did a very good job vs the Giants and then sucked against the Jets.

He's a shorter guy who has a lower center of gravity. That can work for and against you depending on the scenario. He can move pretty quick, which is good for our blocking scheme.

I wish I could sit down with Bill Callahan and ask him his unabashed thoughts on how he has progressed.

Blue ostriches on crack float on milkshakes between the sidewalk titans of gurglefitz. --YTown

#gmstrong
Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
I tend to go along with Callahan if he is working with the guy and the Browns are holding a roster spot for him Bill thinks he has something to work with.

Sorta strange question I know and I also know we are just kicking it here so there is no harm, but when do we actually trust the folks we have in place to handle these things?

JA

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
For the life of me, I don't know how you read into things the way you do.

Nobody said they don't trust Callahan or that Nick doesn't deserve a roster spot.

#gmstrong
Rookie
Rookie
If true, someone is getting cut.

Browns are planning to sign OL Hjalte Froholdt to their 53-man roster off the Texans practice squad pending physical, per source. Cleveland looking to bolster OL depth sooner rather than later as it preps for a January run.

https://twitter.com/jjones9/status/1445429505879908354?s=20

Legend
Legend
Someone could be heading to IR, and it would not surprise me to see Wills be the one. The guy definitely seems to need a few weeks to recover. That's only 3 games, so the team is able to do so without the season-ending consequences of the past.

Dawg Talker
Dawg Talker
Originally Posted By: dawglover05
For the life of me, I don't know how you read into things the way you do.

Nobody said they don't trust Callahan or that Nick doesn't deserve a roster spot.

Your the one reading into things I said in context I understand we are just kicking it didn't I? Give it a rest, really.

BTTB

AKA Upbeat Dawg

Rookie
Rookie
Ah yes, I don't know why I overlooked that possible move. I was even thinking it as he hobbled off the field on Sunday.

O
Legend
Legend
O
Originally Posted By: Chadillac
Ah yes, I don't know why I overlooked that possible move. I was even thinking it as he hobbled off the field on Sunday.
When I read he needed (another) MRI, I immediately thought the worst. Re/additionally injuring that ankle could be really really bad.

-PrplPplEater
D
Hall of Famer
Hall of Famer
D
Have there been any whispers on the results on that second MRI?

#gmstrong
Page 1 of 2 1 2
DawgTalkers.net Forums DawgTalk Pure Football Forum Early season roster bubbles?

Link Copied to Clipboard